Are you still going to the gym ...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hicabob

Are you still going to the gym ...

Post by hicabob » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:07 pm

during the epidemic? The front counter person told me there has been a drop-off and I was wondering if it's a good place to avoid for now? I would miss it if I stopped going. They have lots of hand sanitizer stations and sick folk tend not to go work out but ....

PoultryMan

Re: Are you still going to the gym ...

Post by PoultryMan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:09 pm

Love the gym too, but with the amount of sweat and wiping down of machines it is concerning.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:16 pm

Apparently the virus isn't transferred in sweat. People have still been going to my very large and crowded gym, but everyone has become absolute fanatics about wiping down the equipment. There's sanitizing spray and cleaning towels everywhere.

I think, though, that I'm not going to have a choice. If I'm reading between the lines of my county administration's press conference today, they just got closed for the duration. I'll find out tomorrow before I head out the door.
Last edited by quantAndHold on Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

sd323232

Post by sd323232 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:16 pm

how is being at gym different from being at work? the only way to avoid getting sick is to completely isolate yourself and stay at home. Otherwise u have same chance to get sick work or gym.

Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:23 pm

It's down at my gym, don't need to park in overflow lots anymore. I recently started playing Pickleball and I need my daily fix, so will continue to go. It's funny though one coach won't touch paddle handles at end of game because people's hands sweat, yet we play with one ball that is constantly passed from player to players hands... I do wash my hands before leaving gym, and don't shake hands with new players.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:24 pm

I stopped going to the gym this week.

Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:37 pm

This week I didn't go as often. Only two days instead of my usual five. I'm 75 y/o. But today my 80 y/o brother told me that he hadn't missed a day because he wanted to "stay in shape" to ward off the caronovirus or do better if he contracted it. So I'm back on my usual five day schedule now. I'll be even more careful to carefully spray and wipe each exercise machine before and after each use. The gym members use a ton of paper to wash their hands and clean the equipment. Love Planet Fitness complimentary with my Medicare Advantage plan! Thank you, United Healthcare.

Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:37 pm

This week I didn't go as often. Only two days instead of my usual five. I'm 75 y/o. But today my 80 y/o brother told me that he hadn't missed a day because he wanted to "stay in shape" to ward off the caronovirus or do better if he contracted it. So I'm back on my usual five day schedule now. I'll be even more careful to carefully spray and wipe each exercise machine before and after each use. The gym members use a ton of paper to wash their hands and clean the equipment. Love Planet Fitness complimentary with my Medicare Advantage plan! Thank you, United Healthcare.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:41 pm

Yes I'm still going.
Global Market Cap Equity/1 Year Cash/Bonds || 25x Expenses

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:45 pm

My gym is in my garage or at my office. Despite having ~4,500 employees, you would be shocked how few people use the amazing benefit. My wife goes to a commercial gym, but she has made a conscious effort to do other things recently (like use her own corporate gym...which is basically a small room with equipment I provided).

dh

Post by dh » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:49 pm

Retired1809 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:37 pm
Well done! This is the best post I have read in a long time. Peace and continued good health to you and your brother! I am a PF regular 3X per week; pickleball 3X per week.

WanderingPothos

Post by WanderingPothos » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:51 pm

Not going to the gym this week, but doing yoga at home. Didn't feel like obsessively wiping down machines each and every time....already noticed I have a hard enough time not touching my face all day.

Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:07 pm

Actually, I'm somewhat ambivalent about returning to regular use of the gym. I enjoy exercise and it just makes me feel better. There are physical as well as mental/emotional rewards from exercise. And there's a social aspect: I've met several regular exercisers and we often at least speak at least briefly.

But I am very concerned about the risk of contracting any virus or unknowlingly passing along same to another person. So I very well may back off and schedule time with my "Classical Stretch" DVDs, yoga as well as riding my bicycle around the neighborhood. There, I've worked it out. I'll also call my brother and share my concern. This caronovirus is serious stuff.

caklim00

Post by caklim00 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:10 pm

Obesity is a major risk factor for COVID-19. If there were less fat people the mortality rate would be lower so I think continuing to go to gym or workout is a good idea. That said, going to a spinning class with people coughing and fans circulating air all over the place is probably a bad idea. Maintain your 6 foot personal space.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:12 pm

hicabob wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:07 pm
during the epidemic? The front counter person told me there has been a drop-off and I was wondering if it's a good place to avoid for now? I would miss it if I stopped going. They have lots of hand sanitizer stations and sick folk tend not to go work out but ....
Yes. Nothing would stop me, except my wife.

tiburblium

Post by tiburblium » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:12 pm

Yes, the gym is in my basement

Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:13 pm

Actually, I'm somewhat ambivalent about returning to regular use of the gym. I enjoy exercise and it just makes me feel better. There are physical as well as mental/emotional rewards from exercise. And there's a social aspect: I've met several regular exercisers and we often at least speak at least briefly.

But I am very concerned about the risk of contracting any virus or unknowlingly passing along same to another person. So I very well may back off and schedule time with my "Classical Stretch" DVDs, yoga as well as riding my bicycle around the neighborhood. There, I've worked it out. I'll also call my brother and share my concern. This caronovirus is serious stuff.

We're both in great shape and don't need to lose weight. We just want to stay healthy.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:22 pm

I understand that I am far more likely to catch the seasonal flu than Covid 19. Therefore, I am going to the gym the same number of times I've always been going. I will continue to wipe down the equipment before and after use just as I've always done. The gym has provided wipe stations near the equipment for at least the past decade or so. I'm not changing my routine for something that has such a low probability of occurrence especially for something that is vital and important to my health. I will need to stay healthy when the virus eventually comes to town.
Last edited by mmmodem on Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:22 pm

Yes I am still going. There is a lot more wiping down of equipment than usual. I am considering starting to swim again. I googled it and seems no known incidents of transmission in pools. I have a personal trainer and she wiped down the equipment before and after use today. Many of my other social activities are being postponed. I have completed a Master Gardener course and was looking forward to some of the lectures and activities. So far three of these for the next week have been cancelled. So I will have to read my books on gardening till it warms up and I can start to renovate my lawn .. again!

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:25 pm

Nope, I'd rather work out outside anyway especially now that the weather is getting warmer

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:27 pm

hicabob wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:07 pm
No. Yesterday was my last day for a while. Thousands of different people coming in daily all touching the same surfaces ? There aren’t many worse places to go. I’ll be running outside for a while. I assure you there are many mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic people incubating and shedding this thing right now.

I get the flu vaccine so I do not fear the seasonal flu. Two weeks ill and/or quarantined would be devastating to me financially. As would dying.
Last edited by JonnyDVM on Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns

BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:39 pm

Just contracted a cold today so I will go back when I am feeling well. Physical exercise helps me to de-stress and maintain current weight, so I do not want to stop. My gym is still open but they have increased the number of spray bottles and have one of the staff members disinfect machines more frequently. I imagine though that there is the same amount of risk going to the gym as interacting with people at the office.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:11 pm

tiburblium wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:12 pm
+1
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:13 pm

I wouldn't, but I also don't need a gym to get a solid workout in.

OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:16 pm

I had a membership at a fitness center for quite a few years. Seemed like I got colds, the flu, bronchitis etc. much more frequently when I was doing that. I work out at home and in the local parks now. I own some exercise equipment, but it really doesn't take a big investment to get a good workout. The park satisfies the social aspect of it to a certain extent.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:22 pm

I am still going to the gym. I don't take classes, just lift weights and row. I will take a more concentrated approach now, sticking to a cable machine so I don't have to keep wiping off barbells and dumbbells and when I do use a bench, just using one bench and limited weights. My guess is that my routine is less exposure than to the handle of the gas pump. For myself, the gym is important both physically and mentally...it gives me something to get up and do mornings.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:26 pm

Of course. Every morning.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

buxton.bogle

Post by buxton.bogle » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:45 pm

I visit my YMCA 4 days a week. i have noticed attendance has been down a little this week. i plan to keep visiting, need my exercise.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:10 pm

tiburblium wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:12 pm
+1
Yes
My gym is in my basement as well.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:16 pm

Working out at the local High School Track and cycling for the foreseeable future instead....Have a few free weights at home too.

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:22 pm

Got an email from our club a couple of hours ago, that didn’t convince me that they were taking things seriously enough. We have a power rack in the basement, and can do cardio outside. We’ll be doing that for awhile.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:23 pm

No! Nature is my gym. Do you want to be on a clean bench or seat, someone walks by and sneezes or coughs? They don't look sick, they don't feel sick, then a few days later you don't feel so well. So, you spent all that time cleaning the bench, you cleaned it after you finished. You are in an enclosed area. You can't clean the air. To be frank, some folks who attend the gym I belong to (a large national chain), they aren't the most dedicated to personal hygiene and the locker room is worse. Just my opinion.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

J295

Post by J295 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:23 pm

Thinking about stopping it for a while. I can do nearly all of my work out at home. I just enjoy seeing my friends at the gym. I’m not concerned so much about 60 year old self but don’t want to transmit, especially to my 85-year-old parents and similarly situated people

CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:25 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:16 pm
Apparently the virus isn't transferred in sweat.
I actually heard the exact opposite of this during the CDC infectious disease workgroup’s national seminar today.

Missedtheboat

Post by Missedtheboat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:42 pm

My son in law went to the gym the other day and was high fived by his friend. Friend went on to tell him he was at the gym because he was banned from work. Quarantined for coronavirus .

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:50 pm

Missedtheboat wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:42 pm
My son in law went to the gym the other day and was high fived by his friend. Friend went on to tell him he was at the gym because he was banned from work. Quarantined for coronavirus .
See what I mean? Lots of unconscious selfishness going on out there and that is a prime example of the level of ignorance in society with this situation. The runs on tissue paper is another symptom. I hope your son-in-law is taking the necessary precautions including staying far away from his "friend". Sounds like the professional basketball player who was known for touching other people and property without an invitation, now he's been diagnosed with it.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

casun

Post by casun » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:53 pm

i go to the gym six days a week without exception. i skipped it today and plan to stay away for a couple weeks to see how this plays out.

riots_rus

Post by riots_rus » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:55 pm

Yes, I also go to work, shop at the store, and pick my kids of from daycare. I'm not letting the media and the current frenzy regarding this virus control my life. I prepare for things to go bad (like many of you), I save money, keep my body in good shape, and always have three months of food and water ready to go. Most people don't plan ahead in the slightest, not surprised they're panicking.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:06 pm

No. I am avoiding almost all group gatherings. I even go to the grocery store first thing in the morning.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:09 pm

CoastalWinds wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:25 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:16 pm
Apparently the virus isn't transferred in sweat.
I actually heard the exact opposite of this during the CDC infectious disease workgroup’s national seminar today.
They’ve changed their minds in the last week then. Ew. Definitely not going....

TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:10 pm

I went to the gym at 7:30 tonight and I was the only one there. It was great.

I'm a physician with little (no) chance to escape the virus, no matter what I do. I'll be in quarantine once I contract it, if I'm not hospitalized. Until then I live with the anvil hovering over my head, bracing for the eventual drop.

McGilicutty

Post by McGilicutty » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:16 pm

Still going. This is my 6th straight month of working out with a personal trainer and I'm seeing some really good gains lately. They say the first year of working out brings the best gains so I don't want to stop the momentum. I don't plan to stop going unless they close the gym entirely or I get sick.

Wings5

Post by Wings5 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:24 pm

Planning to stop for 1 month. Plenty of roads to run down and pushups to be done!

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:27 pm

I've stopped going. Now that the weather is warm I'm switching to hiking and biking, plus at-home yoga.

TJSI

Post by TJSI » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:29 pm

Yes. Probably about 20% less crowed. Wash your hands with soap and avoid anyone coughing. You will be OK.

OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:26 am

riots_rus wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:55 pm
Yes, I also go to work, shop at the store, and pick my kids of from daycare. I'm not letting the media and the current frenzy regarding this virus control my life. I prepare for things to go bad (like many of you), I save money, keep my body in good shape, and always have three months of food and water ready to go. Most people don't plan ahead in the slightest, not surprised they're panicking.
Honestly, I'm just curious. Not trying to be snarky or anything. I keep hearing about people stocking up on water. Is this something you are doing specifically because of coronavirus, or is this just something you generally do for some reason? Why are you stocking up on water?

We drink filtered water out of the tap. Gravity carries it to us, so we still get it even if there is a local power outage. Every so often - maybe once in 15 years - it has become contaminated some how and we get a boil water advisory.

GlennK

Post by GlennK » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:37 am

Yes, I still attend at least 3 times a week on top of 3 days of tennis each week. Unfortunately, they did cancel group classes (which is stupid as you are no closer to a person in those classes then when on a machine).

The only extra precaution I am doing is wiping down the handles of the machine BEFORE using. All of us (well, most) wipe it down afterwards, but better safe than sorry.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:45 am

I still go and wipe down my machines. Not panicking here.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

SparklingWaterAddict

Post by SparklingWaterAddict » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:52 am

The University Gym I go to (Michigan) just had drastic cuts to everything so I guess I won't be going as much anymore..

2 out of 3 gyms closed, all group classes / intramural sports cancelled, drastically reduced hours

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:18 am

buxton.bogle wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:45 pm
I visit my YMCA 4 days a week. i have noticed attendance has been down a little this week. i plan to keep visiting, need my exercise.
+1
I like going to the Y.
I play racquetball once a week; do yoga 3 days a week; ride the bike 3 days a week; and walk outside when I can.
I have been somewhat limited due to recently being affected by polymyalgia rheumatica.
The last month has been living hell with joint pain; waiting to see a Rheumatologist...appointments currently scheduled out to JULY.
My GP won’t give me prednisone because he doesn’t want to foul up any testing by the Rheumatologist, so I am taking Aleve to help minimize the pain.

I intend to keep going to the Y until it proves to be an unhealthy place to go.
Right now, I need all the help I can get.

We can’t run scared about this; but we can be very conscious about out behaviors.