Fly or Drive to FL?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
davebo

Fly or Drive to FL?

Post by davebo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:08 pm

My parents rented a house in FL for a couple weeks and we are planning on going down there in about 10 days. Once we're there, we'll be fairly secluded and not really in contact with anyone outside of my immediate family. My wife is in the "let's be careful, but live our life" camp so she wants to fly down. I'm a little more "better to be safe than sorry" and would be willing to drive if need be. We were only planning on staying for 5 days and realistically have enough time to drive back/forth, although it would be pretty brutal since we're coming from IL.

What course of action would you take?

Sandtrap

Re: Fly or Drive to FL?

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:10 pm

Road trip!!
Fun😃
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Gill

Post by Gill » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:16 pm

Where are you planning to stay in Florida? You'd be looking at around a 3,000 mile round trip in heavy traffic much of the way. We have friends who are leaving Florida tomorrow to get away from the Coronavirus and return to Illinois. Their reservations are through March 31. If I were you I'd stay home.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:25 pm

MDW to TPA or FLL for $110 r/t on SWA, makes it a no brainer to me. I hate the drive to FL from Chicago.
Last edited by bob60014 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Z

Post by John Z » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:50 pm

My 2 cents and observations since we are from NH snowbirding near Daytona and driving back north in May.

I look at Google traffic several times a day and have noticed that it has been generally a bit lighter during rush and nothing to speak of post-rush in the last couple of weeks so I would not worry about driving down and back except you don't want to go north on the last day/first day of the month since many renters have to leave at the end of a month so traffic is a bit heavier, on the southern highways and disperses as you go north.

To get an idea of flight loading I pretend to book a flight and get to the seating page to determine if the flight will be full or or wide open or in between. This isn't totally accurate since airlines don't want certain seats filled or filled lastly so seats can be shown as not available in addition to people who already have reserved seats. The more seats that are available the less you have to interact with other people. I haven't done this recently so don't know what the airline loading is these days or weeks ahead.

Like someone mentioned, don't know your origin or destination so can only offer general advice. Hope this helps.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:54 pm

It's been argued that air on planes is pretty well filtered. Maybe the airport itself is the larger risk. Keep in mind you could get an infection that is not a problem for you but a big problem if transmitted to parents.

The trip by car only makes sense if you plan to stay several days.

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:03 pm

I did the drive to Orlando a number of years ago from Chicago when we waited too long and spring break plane tix were like $1750 each....I couldn't do it vs the gas price.....

It's a real haul and coming back we only made it to Atlanta on day 1 due to horrible traffic coming north into Atlanta, so day 2 I drove straight from Atlanta to Chicago. That is a haul.

I'm with your wife. Tix are cheap and you might find the plane is only 30% full anyway! Just tell your kids not to touch everything and then put their hands in their mouths. You could just as easily pick it up while eating at Chili's in Chattanooga anyway if you drive

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:07 pm

davebo wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:08 pm
My parents rented a house in FL for a couple weeks and we are planning on going down there in about 10 days. Once we're there, we'll be fairly secluded and not really in contact with anyone outside of my immediate family. My wife is in the "let's be careful, but live our life" camp so she wants to fly down. I'm a little more "better to be safe than sorry" and would be willing to drive if need be. We were only planning on staying for 5 days and realistically have enough time to drive back/forth, although it would be pretty brutal since we're coming from IL.

By enough time do you mean you're not working or work at "home", so you can take a few days to drive down, plus a few to drive back? That might be a good plan - always interesting things to see along the way, plus it allows for seeing some things along the way.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:12 pm

We did both in 2019, and enjoyed both trips.

Flying to FL is much easier than driving however. Unless you have a lot of places that you would like to stop at on the way down and back, I would fly. In our case, I always wanted to drive to FL. This allowed us to visit many places that we had never been to before.

Topic Author
davebo

Post by davebo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:16 pm

John Z wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:50 pm
My 2 cents and observations since we are from NH snowbirding near Daytona and driving back north in May.

I look at Google traffic several times a day and have noticed that it has been generally a bit lighter during rush and nothing to speak of post-rush in the last couple of weeks so I would not worry about driving down and back except you don't want to go north on the last day/first day of the month since many renters have to leave at the end of a month so traffic is a bit heavier, on the southern highways and disperses as you go north.

To get an idea of flight loading I pretend to book a flight and get to the seating page to determine if the flight will be full or or wide open or in between. This isn't totally accurate since airlines don't want certain seats filled or filled lastly so seats can be shown as not available in addition to people who already have reserved seats. The more seats that are available the less you have to interact with other people. I haven't done this recently so don't know what the airline loading is these days or weeks ahead.

Like someone mentioned, don't know your origin or destination so can only offer general advice. Hope this helps.
We are in Chicago and heading down to Sanibel, so flight is into Ft Myers. The traffic would be brutal, one year we drove from Ft Myers to Tampa on the way home and it was completely brutal.

Topic Author
davebo

Post by davebo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:17 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:07 pm
davebo wrote:

By enough time do you mean you're not working or work at "home", so you can take a few days to drive down, plus a few to drive back? That might be a good plan - always interesting things to see along the way, plus it allows for seeing some things along the way.
The way it's looking, they are going to be closing the schools so my kids won't have to rush back for anything...and my wife who is a teacher will not need to be back. I can work from home if needed, but if schools close then pretty sure my company will basically tell everyone to work from home.

Topic Author
davebo

Post by davebo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:20 pm

Hogan773 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:03 pm
I did the drive to Orlando a number of years ago from Chicago when we waited too long and spring break plane tix were like $1750 each....I couldn't do it vs the gas price.....

It's a real haul and coming back we only made it to Atlanta on day 1 due to horrible traffic coming north into Atlanta, so day 2 I drove straight from Atlanta to Chicago. That is a haul.

I'm with your wife. Tix are cheap and you might find the plane is only 30% full anyway! Just tell your kids not to touch everything and then put their hands in their mouths. You could just as easily pick it up while eating at Chili's in Chattanooga anyway if you drive
You might be right. I got grief a few years ago for saving money and flying into Tampa instead of Ft Myers. On the way back to Tampa, the traffic was so bad that I swore I would never do that again. Although, that was more of a time vs. money problem and this is more of a health related thing.

I need to be completely secluded from the news for a week. LOL.

John Z

Post by John Z » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:25 pm

Yes, FL traffic on the west coast during winter is very brutal compared to the Daytona area so I understand your wanting to fly down. Good luck and good trip.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:27 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:54 pm
It's been argued that air on planes is pretty well filtered. Maybe the airport itself is the larger risk. Keep in mind you could get an infection that is not a problem for you but a big problem if transmitted to parents.

The trip by car only makes sense if you plan to stay several days.
It doesn't matter what the air is like on a plane if you are sitting 2 inches from someone who is Covid-19 infected but asymptomatic for 2-4 hours. The drive for just a 1 week stay will be terrible. But drive or stay home. Stay home is a way better idea right now.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:29 pm

davebo wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:17 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:07 pm
davebo wrote:

The way it's looking, they are going to be closing the schools so my kids won't have to rush back for anything...and my wife who is a teacher will not need to be back. I can work from home if needed, but if schools close then pretty sure my company will basically tell everyone to work from home.
I'm confused, how many people and what ages are going?

JPH

Post by JPH » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:40 pm

If you drive you will be in motels, restaurants, gas stations, etc., all of which could be sources of exposure.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:51 pm

davebo wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:16 pm
John Z wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:50 pm

We are in Chicago and heading down to Sanibel, so flight is into Ft Myers. The traffic would be brutal, one year we drove from Ft Myers to Tampa on the way home and it was completely brutal.
That’s a long haul for only 5 days there. Like 18-20 hours on the road. Yikes.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:31 pm

davebo wrote:
I would not go.

The big issue to me would be risking exposing your parents if you pick up something on the way there and I would not want to risk that.

The big question is if you would have less exposure to by driving or flying and that is not clear.

One option would be to take a one way rental car to drive to Florida then fly back but I don't know if that would help.

Just FYI, if you drive here in Atlanta the rush hour on weekdays is roughly 5:00 AM to 10:00 AM in the morning and around 2:30 PM to 7:30 PM so if you drive try not to go through Atlanta during those hours. Even on weekends traffic can be bad if there is construction or a big event, but most of those are being cancelled. Be sure to check a traffic app to see where the backups are.

London

Post by London » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:24 pm

I would go and I would fly. Your probability of infection is low despite news reports. Your probability of dying if you get it is lower still. I’m not risk averse though. I also hate long car rides.

It’s a personal decision for you and your family.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:27 pm

JPH wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:40 pm
If you drive you will be in motels, restaurants, gas stations, etc., all of which could be sources of exposure.
You can drive that straight through if you pack sandwiches and snacks. Only necessary human contact exposure is in the gas station bathrooms.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:37 pm

atikovi wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:27 pm
JPH wrote:
You can drive that straight through if you pack sandwiches and snacks. Only necessary human contact exposure is in the gas station bathrooms.
You can also take a few days and see lots of things along the way.

Gill

Post by Gill » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:45 pm

atikovi wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:27 pm
JPH wrote:
Chicago to Sanibel is over 1,300 miles. A very long non-stop drive. Florida traffic is horrible at this time of year.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:09 pm

20 hours. If you swap drivers every few, doable. But if you can get $59 airfares and just it's just 2 people, flying would be better.

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:30 am

I would fly in a heartbeat, but I also hate long drives, particularly when heavy traffic is involved. My family is flying down to visit my parents in south Alabama in a few weeks, and I didn't even consider driving. It would have been at least 16 hours straight through, and that doesn't even take into account traffic on I95 and I85. I just ignore the FUD, look at the facts, and base my decisions on those.

Gill

Post by Gill » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:55 am

atikovi wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:09 pm
20 hours. If you swap drivers every few, doable. But if you can get $59 airfares and just it's just 2 people, flying would be better.
Friend of mine took three hours to get from Venice to Sarasota on Monday - a distance of about 25 miles. Good luck averaging 65 over a 1,300 mile trip.
Gill

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:02 am

It's only 1300 miles? Oh, that's not so bad. I drove my mom's car from outside of Boston to Orlando in the fall. 1380 miles (via Scranton). But I was alone, so didn't have the million stops that "other people" seem to feel are necessary.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:05 am

I'm less anxious and fearful than what I'm seeing in media.
My biggest concern would be getting stuck/quarantined somewhere else while traveling, and I feel like that's more likely to happen in public transportation (getting shutdown or flight cancelled) than in my car.
If I was indifferent to the idea of how long I could be stuck somewhere, then I wouldn't mind traveling by any available means, Wuhan virus rampant or not.
In general, I would prefer flying if it was just myself, coin-flip for two people, and driving if it was 2+
I think a "road trip" makes the trip more memorable/eventful if you have a group of people, and it's usually more cost effective than driving a car for one person.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:22 am

I would not go. I would not risk transmitting disease to my parents.

beyou

Post by beyou » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:03 am

Car accident is statistically a more likely peril.

That said, I would not go.
Drive to me would be insane, flying maybe.
But why go at all? Read the news yesterday about a passenger waiting for test results in flight to Florida ?
There is a reason for all the “Florida Man....” news stories :-)

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:13 am

Id fly

22twain

Post by 22twain » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:02 am

I'm a "road trip junkie" so I'd drive, avoid the Interstates, take four days each way, different routes down and back, and do some sightseeing along the way. But I'm retired and have plenty of time for that sort of thing.

We live "halfway down" and visited my parents in SE Florida twice a year for many years, 700 miles and two days each way. Mostly US-1 in Georgia and US-301 and US-27 in Florida, with some variations.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

chrisjul

Post by chrisjul » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:28 pm

Cancel the trip. The virus is widespread here ......just can't test due to lack of testing kits. Governor called out Natl Guard.

Stay home

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:07 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:22 am
Agreed. Do it after all settles down.

emoore

Post by emoore » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:59 pm

Drive or don't go at all.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:20 am

I would fly, but I haven't driven more than 3 hours straight in my life...

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:37 am

chrisjul wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:28 pm
Cancel the trip. The virus is widespread here ......just can't test due to lack of testing kits. Governor called out Natl Guard.

Stay home
What are you talking about. The virus is NOT widespread here. Calling up the Natl Guard sounds ominous but it certainly isn't. It is just a prudent measure to provide assistance where needed.

Cheers

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:46 am

Google Maps shows over 19 hours of driving time. There’s no practical way to do it as a straight shot. Spending the night in hotels on the interstate seems risky. Using rest rooms and obtaining food on the road seems risky, too. Do you own a vehicle that would be practical for sleeping in? A class “B” RV would be well suited...

On the other hand, flying right now... maybe if you can get a nonstop to RSW. But then you’re dealing with a rental car; occasionally I’ve found them to be downright gross.

We’re in a deep risk scenario here. If I couldn’t get there on a single tank of gas, I’d stay home.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:56 am

Just flew back home to Oregon from a two-week trip to Florida on Thursday. The plane was barely half full. I had a whole row to myself, and it appeared that most solos and couples did. The flight had appeared to be almost fully booked when I checked two weeks earlier. Flight attendants told me the earlier MCO <-> PDX flights they’d flown were the same.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:27 am

Dottie57 wrote:
I agree.

chrisjul

Post by chrisjul » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:52 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:37 am
chrisjul wrote:

Stay home
What are you talking about. The virus is NOT widespread here. Calling up the Natl Guard sounds ominous but it certainly isn't. It is just a prudent measure to provide assistance where needed.

Cheers
Someone died 15 miles from me. Many undocumented cases....can't document due to lack of testing kits. What are YOU talking about?

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:58 am

chrisjul wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:52 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:37 am
chrisjul wrote:

Stay home

Cheers
Someone died 15 miles from me. Many undocumented cases....can't document due to lack of testing kits. What are YOU talking about?
Agree 1000+. We don’t know how wide-spread the virus is. So I assume it is widespread and growing. Take precautions. A trip right now is not a great idea. Especially to see elderly folks.

moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:03 am

If you want to include cities along the way to enrich your vacation, then drive.
Else fly.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:12 am

Op

One thing no one mentioned is you could get sick on the way driving there.

How would you and your wife handle the road trip if you are hospitalized or sick between FL or Illinois?

Here is a good read from Atlantic on social distancing a trip from Toronto to Tallahassee FL:

"Karen Wright loves to sing to her three-month-old grandson, August. She croons Harry Belafonte’s “Banana Boat Song”: “Day-o, day-o, daylight come and me wan’ go home.” Sometimes she throws in a little Bob Marley, and dances along. Wright loves seeing August’s eyes light up at the sound of her voice.

Wright does this from more than 1,000 miles away. She lives in Tallahassee, and her grandson is in Toronto. Wright’s daughter was supposed to visit her mom in Florida in early April so that August could finally meet his grandma. But the family has decided that they shouldn’t travel, because of the coronavirus outbreak, which continues to spread quickly across the United States and around the world. More than 70 people have tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, in Florida so far, and Wright, a certified nursing assistant who works with elderly patients, knows well the precautions people must take to stem the spread of the disease."

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... me/608038/

Here is another article of do's and don't https://www.theatlantic.com/family/arch ... an/607927/

"Should I stop visiting elderly relatives?

Watson: I think we should start limiting visitation to people who are in assisted-living facilities and nursing homes. I know that’s really tough, and maybe setting things up so you can visit them virtually is a good idea. [That way], they can see you and say hello, [without putting] them at extra risk.

Cannuscio: I think if we are fortunate enough to live near our elders and we get into the mode of seriously isolating our own families, then one person should be designated to go and visit. If we’re not in a situation where we can truly limit our own social contact, then we will be putting that elder at risk by going to visit."

SheReadsHere719

Post by SheReadsHere719 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:26 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:27 am
Dottie57 wrote:
I agree.
+2

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:44 pm

Events of the past month call for a change of plans. I have canceled trips that I made months ago. I would not go.
Best Wishes, | Joe

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:42 pm

I know of at least two continuing care retirement communities that have banned all visitors. Mine has suspended meal service in the dining room. And all group events & programs. Culinary dept makes up packaged meals for dinners, choice on 2 entrees, and someone comes to the door at dinner time. Just a bit better than being in jail. But hopefully a lot better than, at my age, catching COVID19.

Topic Author
davebo

Post by davebo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:24 am

We decided to cancel. I have to admit it was tempting just to fly because plane tickets dropped down below $99 one-way which was a HUGE savings from what we paid. It was hard to tell the kids, but 2 of them live in the moment and took it in stride, my oldest (who looks forward to things more) was kind of figuring that we might have to cancel. Either way, things could always be worse.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:51 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:10 pm
Road trip!!
Fun😃
+1 .. and non stop at that

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:02 am

Dottie57 wrote:
+1000
DW just cancelled a trip to visit her mom age 94. The odds of catching any sort of infective germ after going through 2 major airports and flights are not worth the risk.
J😬
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:13 am

I would not go. I would feel a responsibility to:
- help my parents understand to take socially distancing seriously
- teach my children to take social distancing seriously
- not infect my parents
- not needlessly expose my kids and wife
- not teach my children that National Emergencies and States of Emergency are to be taken lightly
- not contribute to any increased likelihood that this pandemic is worse than it could be

Remind us what the reason for this travel is?
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu