Coronavirus Movie Suggestions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
madbrain

Re: Coronavirus Movie Suggestions

Post by madbrain »

Mayhem . 2017 movie. A virus gets loose, and employees are quarantined in an office building.
Pluto9th

Post by Pluto9th »

1. The Day After
2. Life After People
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Most of those movies have too much of a happy ending for my tastes.

Hey, maybe we can cure COVID19 with gene editing. But we mess it up and zombies. Fast, intelligent zombies. Crap, that's basically I Am Legend. Not the old one but the good one.

Okay, maybe the zombies are more intelligent than the average humans but the best they are capable of doing is driving economy cars in terrible traffic and writing software until they get fired. That would be a terrifying movie. Crap, that's Office Space.

I would starve as a writer.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

Two more from the zombie subgenre:
1) Zombieland - lighthearted spoof of rules to avoid infection
2) Girl with all the Gifts - bizarrely heartwarming
lawlopez

Post by lawlopez »

For some reason "Joe vs the Volcano" always leaves me upbeat.
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

I watched Resident Evil the other day. The Boston Biogen meeting is Racoon City and the Umbrella Corporation. I own the first 4 or 5 of that franchise but only the first one is worth watching again. I was looking at my big collection of zombie movies that are all grouped together in a 400 disc folio. Beyond what has been mentioned, I like Warm Bodies. It’s really hard to top Zombieland.

With the age group that is high risk, maybe Soylent Green or Logan’s Run.

I need to dig up the old Star Trek episode where a planet is all children. The adults all get a plague, try to attack the children, and die. I recall McCoy invents a vaccine and saves everyone. One of Netflix or Amazon Prime must have the whole series.
With a Google, season 1, episode 8. “Miri”

With social distancing, I think I’ll replace a handshake with the Vulcan “live long and prosper”. :)
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

"Warning Sign", 1985 movie.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Teague

Post by Teague »

On The Beach (1959) Starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire, and Anthony Perkins.

You'll need to substitute the virus for nuclear fallout, but same idea. An invisible deadly threat is making its way 'round the globe, and it's just a matter of time until it reaches you. Hilarity fails to ensue.
Semper Augustus
hand

Post by hand »

Cast Away - Features Tom Hanks isolated...
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

The Masque of the Red Death (1964). Poe, Corman, Price. Do I need to say more ?
mclarenc1

Post by mclarenc1 »

I'm going to submit a fantastic psychological thriller starring John Goodman. This one is less about viral transmission but I believe it fully qualifies for it's quarantine aspect:

10 Cloverfield Lane
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Thought of another. A not-great-but-still-pretty-good film in which the bubonic plague plays a significant role:

Restoration

It's not within the OP's "produced within the last decade or so" requirement, but since everyone else seems to be ignoring that, I will too. :D
Stay on target...
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

+1 on Andromeda Strain. Have seen that several times over the years.
For books. "The Plague" Albert Camus
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Pluto9th wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:09 am 1. The Day After
2. Life After People
I also recommend The Day After. Very upbeat!
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

Here are 3 I recently saw.

1. We are the disease
2. Die and die, but try not to live
3. Swallow
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

outbreak, 28 days later, Omega Man, world War z, Pandemic, Contagion, The hot zone, the last two are probably closset to what we are seeing now.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
gmaynardkrebs

Post by gmaynardkrebs »

Train to Busan (netflix). First Korean Zombie movie.
Note, a possible reason South Korea appears to have been relatively well-prepared is that they've been fearing germ warfare from N. Korea for decades. Obviously, this is not from N. Korea, but the South clearly had a pandemic response infrastructure in place as part of national defense. If we have such a program, it has certainly not had the priority of the S. Korean program.
saver007

Post by saver007 »

"The virus" is a 2019 Malayalam ( south Indian) movie based on 2018 Nippah virus outbreak in Kerala, India.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... share_cu_r
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Watty wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:20 pm It is not a movie but there is a Pandemic board game that has been around for 10+ years so it is not something that someone put out to cash in on the Corona Virus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic_(board_game)

I have not played it but it has generally good reviews, but that was long before the Corona Virus so it might be more than a little bit odd to play it now.
We played this game and I found it boring. Instead of competing with other players you all work together as a team to try to defeat a disease. Sounds like a good idea but it’s deadly boring. I don’t like games where you’re all supposed to work as a team, what’s the fun in that? I want to compete against other players, not against some inanimate disease.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

hand wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:38 am Cast Away - Features Tom Hanks isolated...
Good movie. His best friend was a volleyball he called Wilson. I realize a major ball manufacturer is Wilson and no doubt that’s the reason for the name, then I come to find out his real wife’s name is Wilson. :confused
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

One Million Years B.C. (1966) — starring Raquel Welch.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Sausage Party (2016). Totally weird but enjoyable, and my mind has been on supermarkets lately. Includes a roll of toilet paper as one of the characters.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I watched Outbreak for about the 10th time yesterday, but it was my girlfriends first time watching it. She liked it.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:02 am
Pluto9th wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:09 am 1. The Day After
2. Life After People
I also recommend The Day After. Very upbeat!
I remember when that first aired. Pretty much everyone in the country watched it.

And it freaked us all out. :shock:
Stay on target...
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I watched Contagion last night for first time. May not have been the best idea, but still no issues getting to sleep.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Annihilation (2018) is pretty good. Watched it again last night on 4K blu-ray.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

On the beach, except it's not about a virus. It's about spreading radiation after a nuclear war.

edit: Oops. I didn't notice Teague already mentioned this one. There was a remake in 2000 with Armand Assante, Bryan Brown, and Rachel Ward. It's OK, but the original B&W is better.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Papago

Post by Papago »

"Mom and Dad," with Nicolas Cage and Selma Blair. Hilarious horror film in which parents are infected with something that makes them want to kill their children. Very enjoyable.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Papago wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:56 am "Mom and Dad," with Nicolas Cage and Selma Blair. Hilarious horror film in which parents are infected with something that makes them want to kill their children. Very enjoyable.
That's not an infection. That's normal. :D :D
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Stef

Post by Stef »

I think Contagion comes closest to the current situation.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I had no desire to watch a pandemic movie. I wanted something light. A comedy. I noticed that Blast from the Past was free on Roku Channel. As it started up, I had to laugh at myself. Under the opening credits were images of people collecting mass quantities of goods for bomb shelters. In other words, hoarding and self-isolating.
WannabeEarlyRetiree

Post by WannabeEarlyRetiree »

Not a movie but a documentary series that came out this January on Netflix “PANDEMIC: HOW TO PREVENT AN OUTBREAK“

Then COVID-19 happened.

It is eerie how accurate their predictions are; especially given the timing. At the same time, the film made me feel so much more respects to those in health care industry
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

hand wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:38 am Cast Away - Features Tom Hanks isolated...
OK, I'm definitely gonna paint a Wilson soccer ball and put it in the background of my video conferences now. LOL
rob

Post by rob »

Not much of a Mel Gibson fan but Professor and the Madman was really good - basically about the creation of the Oxford English dictionary but better than that sounds :-)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Spacey and Cuban Gooding Jr. in the 1995 film 'Outbreak.'
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Do any of these so-called disaster movies give sufficient treatment to the performance of global equity markets? :P
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

gmaynardkrebs wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:57 pm Train to Busan (netflix). First Korean Zombie movie.
Note, a possible reason South Korea appears to have been relatively well-prepared is that they've been fearing germ warfare from N. Korea for decades. Obviously, this is not from N. Korea, but the South clearly had a pandemic response infrastructure in place as part of national defense. If we have such a program, it has certainly not had the priority of the S. Korean program.

Train to Busan was great!
South Korea also saw 185 deaths from MERS 5 years ago and shut down a lot of schools after initially botching the response. Supposedly the testing infrastructure put in place afterwards helped a lot with COVID-19 as well.
gmaynardkrebs

Post by gmaynardkrebs »

phantom0308 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:56 am
gmaynardkrebs wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:57 pm Train to Busan (netflix). First Korean Zombie movie.

Train to Busan was great!
South Korea also saw 185 deaths from MERS 5 years ago and shut down a lot of schools after initially botching the response. Supposedly the testing infrastructure put in place afterwards helped a lot with COVID-19 as well.
Glad you enjoyed Train to Busan!
Did not know that about MERS...makes sense.
Summit111

Post by Summit111 »

Driving Miss Daisy....easy to watch feel good movie...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog
Unladen_Swallow

Post by Unladen_Swallow »

Movie "Virus" (2019)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8941440/

It is a south Indian movie based on the Nipah virus outbreak in the state of Kerala. They made the movie a year after it happened. I enjoyed the movie.
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

Just finished watching Contagion. I liked it.
GCD

Post by GCD »

I just found Flu on Amazon. My son is irritated with me now because I got him to watch the trailer by telling him it was a documentary about how South Korea handled COVID-19.

https://www.amazon.com/FLU-Hyuk-Jang/dp ... 437&sr=8-1
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

GCD wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:55 am I just found Flu on Amazon. My son is irritated with me now because I got him to watch the trailer by telling him it was a documentary about how South Korea handled COVID-19.

https://www.amazon.com/FLU-Hyuk-Jang/dp ... 437&sr=8-1
Train to Busan is also about a great movie about an infection in South Korea. I managed to see it in a US theater a few years ago.
ReformedSpender

Post by ReformedSpender »

The Big short!
Market history shows that when there's economic blue sky, future returns are low, and when the economy is on the skids, future returns are high. The best fishing is done in the most stormy waters.
DragonG

Post by DragonG »

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Anything seem familiar? Stay at home, don't go out, leave those mashed potatoes alone!
telemark

Post by telemark »

vested1 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:17 pm Omega Man (1971) was the 2nd spinoff of the Richard Matheson book, I Am Legend (1954). The 2007 version with the same title as the book, starring Will Smith came out in 2007.

I saw them all but the 1st version was scariest for me, even though the special effects were crude. It was The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price (1964). Price's haunted look as he sat in his house every night watching home movies of his life with his wife before the plague of the living dead took over the world scared the crap out of me at age 12 when it came out.

His name was Morgan, and as the zombies beat on his door and windows every night they'd scream, "Come out Morgan!". They were eventually joined by his dead wife. Every day he'd go out with a supply of wooden stakes and drive them through the hearts of sleeping zombies who lay hidden throughout the city. Those undead were slow, unlike those in The Omega Man and I am Legend, and were more like vampires at any rate. He was immune, and his blood turned out to be the cure.
Great scene where they're all tossing bodies into a pit.

It's easy to forget, given some of the movies he made, just how good an actor Vincent Price was.
tis_puddleglum

Post by tis_puddleglum »

whodidntante wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:19 am Most of those movies have too much of a happy ending for my tastes.
Well, if that's the case how about the 2006 TV Movie "Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America". That left me feeling like we aren't that bad off. Sort of like looking at pictures of people mauled by bears. Hey, I have it pretty good.
Expro

Post by Expro »

"Rick and Morty" Season 1 Episode 6 "Rick Potion #9"
Not a movie but a goodie.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

On Netflix,

I highly recommend: RAVENOUS (French Canadian) and TRAIN TO BUSAN (South Korea)

They are very relevant to Covid-19, and both have 90% approval rate on rotten tomatoes.