Coronavirus Movie Suggestions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Coronavirus Movie Suggestions

Post by Caduceus »

I really liked Contagion and The Hot Zone.

Any pandemic movie suggestions that are any good that were produced in the last decade or so?

Or they could just be locked-room mysteries - where people are forced to be holed up in a place and something interesting happens (a murder, or a mystery of some kind) and they have to figure it out? (Anything except horror movies, which I can't watch)
hand

Re: Coronavirus Movie Suggestions

Post by hand »

The Andromeda Strain
Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat »

hand wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:26 pm The Andromeda Strain
+1
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.
Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes »

Saturday Night Fever?

(ah, ah, ah ah, Staying alive, staying alive) :)
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

The Stand mini series
The aversion to horror is concerning, but cabin fever is great.
12 Monkeys
Lots of them here
https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/best-pa ... -more.html
Last edited by mhalley on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Irisheyes wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:33 pm Saturday Night Fever?

(ah, ah, ah ah, Staying alive, staying alive) :)
Groaning... :mrgreen:
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I always enjoyed Outbreak. Haven't seen it in years though.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Interesting topic since I was searching around last night and ended up watching "Carriers" from 2009 and it was just okay (it was pretty low budget). I want to watch Contagion.
supdodo

Post by supdodo »

The Flu (a Korean movie), available on Amazon Prime.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Wife and I watched Contagion over this past weekend (again). Excellent movie.
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

World War Z
Flora

Post by Flora »

+1

12 Monkeys (the TV Series)
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

I don't watch movies but I can recommend a novel. "Severance" by Ling Ma. It takes place during and after an epidemic destroys most of America, but it's about other things, too. Just finished it.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
Watty

Post by Watty »

It is not a movie but there is a Pandemic board game that has been around for 10+ years so it is not something that someone put out to cash in on the Corona Virus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic_(board_game)

I have not played it but it has generally good reviews, but that was long before the Corona Virus so it might be more than a little bit odd to play it now.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I resisted watching them because I didn’t see a need to remake them but The Planet of the Apes. If I recall correctly the movie shows how a virus spreads. And the remakes were surprisingly well done.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

new2bogle wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:34 pm Wife and I watched Contagion over this past weekend (again). Excellent movie.
One of the technical/science consultants for the movie was interviewed recently about CoVid19
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurie_Garrett

I've also been thinking about a book by Frank Herbert, White Plague - a deliberately engineered virus, spread quickly thru out the world.

BTW - her article about avoiding exposure
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/25/wu ... ety-china/
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Contagion is a film that depicts how bad it could be, not the point at which we find ourselves currently. The parallels are astounding, with charletons seeking to profit off the pandemic by offering fake cures, and the desperate race to find a vaccine. Once a vaccine is found I would expect to see the same level of desperation to distribute it, and evidence of unfairness rooted out and perhaps overblown. The only difference I see is there was no issue with lack of testing in the film, nor unhelpful comments by world leaders.

I would suggest that if you are already freaked out about COVID-19 that you wait to see the film until this crisis is past. I would also suggest that those who don't think this is a big deal absolutely see the film in order to temper their denial. As always, the truth and a reasonable response to the threat lies somewhere in the middle.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

How about the original?

The movie "Outbreak" came out in 1995
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:15 pm I really liked Contagion and The Hot Zone.

Any pandemic movie suggestions that are any good that were produced in the last decade or so?

Or they could just be locked-room mysteries - where people are forced to be holed up in a place and something interesting happens (a murder, or a mystery of some kind) and they have to figure it out? (Anything except horror movies, which I can't watch)
Time to update your reading lists. Laura Spinney as below. Also "Pandemics: A Very Short Introduction".

https://www.amazon.com/Pandemics-Very-S ... 513&sr=8-1

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus

Laura Spinney's book on the 1918-19 Flu is excellent

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ra-spinney

There is a common thread in this. There certainly was in the case of SARS & Ebola. About the heroism of front line medical personnel. They will have a special place in Heaven, I hope.
Last edited by Valuethinker on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Mactheriverrat wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:27 pm
hand wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:26 pm The Andromeda Strain
+1
A somewhat forgotten, but fantastic film (and a good book - Michael Crichton's first or second, I believe).
Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

vested1 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:59 am Contagion is a film that depicts how bad it could be, not the point at which we find ourselves currently. The parallels are astounding, with charletons seeking to profit off the pandemic by offering fake cures, and the desperate race to find a vaccine. Once a vaccine is found I would expect to see the same level of desperation to distribute it, and evidence of unfairness rooted out and perhaps overblown. The only difference I see is there was no issue with lack of testing in the film, nor unhelpful comments by world leaders.

I would suggest that if you are already freaked out about COVID-19 that you wait to see the film until this crisis is past. I would also suggest that those who don't think this is a big deal absolutely see the film in order to temper their denial. As always, the truth and a reasonable response to the threat lies somewhere in the middle.
I have a different prediction. I think we'll learn to co-exist with the virus way before a vaccine is found, just as we've co-existed with lots of other different viruses. Even if a vaccine is developed, by the time it comes out, I think the take-up rate is not going to be much different than the flu vaccine and there might be some degree of herd immunity already if lots of people have gotten it and recovered.

I am not freaked out about it at all - probably the opposite. The only precautions I've taken are for the elderly in my family. So, yes, those about 70 are minimizing their social interactions and we've made sure they are stocked up. But at this point, I think the point about "containment" is just to prevent health resources from being overwhelmed all at the same time. The coronavirus is out in the wild and here to stay.

If not for the lockdown, I'd be flying into Venice right now.
levelride

Post by levelride »

The Wall Street Journal featured an article last week on this topic. In addition to Contagion, other films mentioned were Elia Kazan's "Panic in the Streets" (1950) and Alfonso Cuaron's "Children of Men" (2006).
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

Apocalypse Now :shock:
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Personally, I think just reading the stuff posted on social media is more entertaining than many of the movies listed. I'd be eating a bowl of popcorn right now if I didn't have to go to the store first to buy some.

58 Best Pandemic Movies of All Time
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Definitely 28 Days Later. I’ve already taken to calling those with the virus “the infected”.

Contagion is a well done relevant movie and as I can recall, well done in regards to it’s portrayal of the science of epidemiology.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:05 am Personally, I think just reading the stuff posted on social media is more entertaining than many of the movies listed. I'd be eating a bowl of popcorn right now if I didn't have to go to the store first to buy some.

It’s a great list but how could they have omitted Zombieland? (maybe it’s not on Netflix, Hulu or Prime?)

I always liked the societal issues of things breaking down in all the zombie type movies rather than all the zombie stuff itself. So I liked I Am Legend as it is more about living in the post-pandemic apocalypse world than the zombies themselves. Same with the Walking Dead series; they lost me once it just became groups of people fighting each other.
gasman

Post by gasman »

I am Legend
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Kenkat wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:21 am
lthenderson wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:05 am Personally, I think just reading the stuff posted on social media is more entertaining than many of the movies listed. I'd be eating a bowl of popcorn right now if I didn't have to go to the store first to buy some.

It’s a great list but how could they have omitted Zombieland? (maybe it’s not on Netflix, Hulu or Prime?)

I always liked the societal issues of things breaking down in all the zombie type movies rather than all the zombie stuff itself. So I liked I Am Legend as it is more about living in the post-pandemic apocalypse world than the zombies themselves. Same with the Walking Dead series; they lost me once it just became groups of people fighting each other.
I felt the same. I enjoyed the walking dead so much the first three seasons. It really took a rapid turn south.

Zombieland- also a great movie.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

For those not yet affected but expecting imminent doom, "On the Beach."
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I suggest reading "The Stand" rather than watching the mini series.

King does a remarkable job walking us through what happens when one infected person escapes quarantine and the deadly results that follow in unexpected ways (e.g the young child that's immune but the family is dead, the immune junkie that goes on a coke bender, etc).

It eventually turns into a supernatural thriller, but the first parts are disturbingly realistic.
SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B »

The Painted Veil. 2006. Cholera outbreak in 1920s China. A bacteriologist played by Edward Norton punishes his philandering wife played by Naomi Watts by volunteering to go right into the heart of it. Beautiful scenery, lovely soundtrack.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Watty wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:20 pm It is not a movie but there is a Pandemic board game that has been around for 10+ years so it is not something that someone put out to cash in on the Corona Virus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic_(board_game)

I have not played it but it has generally good reviews, but that was long before the Corona Virus so it might be more than a little bit odd to play it now.
My kids have been playing this game with their cousins each year when they get together after Christmas.

The style of the game is cooperative rather than competitive. All of the players share strategy for how to “defeat” the pandemic.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

gasman wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:24 amI am Legend
And the earlier version of the novel "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston. Filmed in the Bunker Hill neighbourhood of Los Angeles just before it was pulled down for late 1960s urban renewal.

The Richard Matheson book is also very good.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/m/rich ... legend.htm
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Valuethinker wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:57 pm
gasman wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:24 amI am Legend
And the earlier version of the novel "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston. Filmed in the Bunker Hill neighbourhood of Los Angeles just before it was pulled down for late 1960s urban renewal.

The Richard Matheson book is also very good.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/m/rich ... legend.htm
Omega Man (1971) was the 2nd spinoff of the Richard Matheson book, I Am Legend (1954). The 2007 version with the same title as the book, starring Will Smith came out in 2007.

I saw them all but the 1st version was scariest for me, even though the special effects were crude. It was The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price (1964). Price's haunted look as he sat in his house every night watching home movies of his life with his wife before the plague of the living dead took over the world scared the crap out of me at age 12 when it came out.

His name was Morgan, and as the zombies beat on his door and windows every night they'd scream, "Come out Morgan!". They were eventually joined by his dead wife. Every day he'd go out with a supply of wooden stakes and drive them through the hearts of sleeping zombies who lay hidden throughout the city. Those undead were slow, unlike those in The Omega Man and I am Legend, and were more like vampires at any rate. He was immune, and his blood turned out to be the cure.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Not about a virus (and a miniseries rather than a movie), but still along the lines of "seemingly unstoppable force of nature that's going around killing people"...

Chernobyl

It's very, very good.
Stay on target...
rick51

Post by rick51 »

"Cargo" (full disclosure I have yet to watch it, but the trailer looks entertaining)

Try a Google search on the 58 best pandemic movies to binge in quarantine. Oops, I see that suggestion above already.
Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

SchruteB&B wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:24 am The Painted Veil. 2006. Cholera outbreak in 1920s China. A bacteriologist played by Edward Norton punishes his philandering wife played by Naomi Watts by volunteering to go right into the heart of it. Beautiful scenery, lovely soundtrack.
Wow. I can't believe you recommended that! I totally forgot about that film. I watched it years ago - stunning visuals that took your breath away. I don't even think I was following the plot while I was watching it. :D
doug1022

Post by doug1022 »

+1 for the reading the Stand
another book to consider for those interested in the topic is 'Dog Stars' by Peter Heller.
These are two of my favorite books of all time.

investingdad wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:58 am I suggest reading "The Stand" rather than watching the mini series.

King does a remarkable job walking us through what happens when one infected person escapes quarantine and the deadly results that follow in unexpected ways (e.g the young child that's immune but the family is dead, the immune junkie that goes on a coke bender, etc).

It eventually turns into a supernatural thriller, but the first parts are disturbingly realistic.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

JonnyDVM wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:14 am Definitely 28 Days Later. I’ve already taken to calling those with the virus “the infected”.

Contagion is a well done relevant movie and as I can recall, well done in regards to it’s portrayal of the science of epidemiology.
Don't forget the sequel - 28 Weeks Later. I have them both on DVD, but haven't watched them in quite some time.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Tdubs wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:12 am For those not yet affected but expecting imminent doom, "On the Beach."
Good suggestion!
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Can't believe nobody mentioned "Quarantine" yet :)

"Quarantine" is the US-made version of the Spanish movie "REC". Both good, very similar to each other, but with a few interesting little differences.

Sequels diverge:
Quarantine 2 is meh.
REC 2 is almost like the second half of REC.
REC 3 and REC 4 are forgettable, but if one is into binge watching...
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

If we want to extend the virus origin off-planet, John Carpenter's The Thing is an all-time classic. And then there's Alien...
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
3CheersforLkyJack

Post by 3CheersforLkyJack »

Jack London's The Scarlet Plague. Short book of less than 100 pages also audiobook available online free. Pandemic kills almost everyone within days and follows the events as they unfold through decades later and how the few survivors now live. Riveting.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

Children of Men, while not technically a plague story, would be in my list.
whr19606

Post by whr19606 »

Am re-reading "The Fourth Horseman" by Alan E. Nourse. Read it in the 80's and couldn't find my copy, so I had to buy a second-hand copy thru Amazon. Well-written account of a new but much more virulent strain of bubonic plague that sweeps thru America. Very believable story of how society breaks down as more and more people die.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:15 pm I really liked Contagion and The Hot Zone.

I think the Stand was about a superbug. But I can't recommend the movie because I didn't see it.

regarding being holed up (hell is other people) Cube was pretty good (the original. didn't see the sequels). It wasn't in the last decade, though.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

Panic Room - not pandemic related, but it does feature people trapped in a small space.
GCD

Post by GCD »

The Stand was too religious for me.

As an alternative I offer Tremors. Yes, yes, I know people will belittle this choice. However, I think it offers excellent guidance for the current situation, albeit perhaps in a more abstract way. Burt is a role model...
Fouchon

Post by Fouchon »

The Thing (1982)
goblegoble

Post by goblegoble »

Watched Outbreak last weekend. Good parallel to what’s happening today although the virus in the movie is much more fatal and dramatic.