How To Stay Positive When Feeling Nickle and Dimed

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
cnblure

How To Stay Positive When Feeling Nickle and Dimed

Post by cnblure »

My favorite movie is being made into a Broadway production. NYC is only four hours away, so I thought it would be a lot of fun to to make a weekend trip out of going to see it. At the beginning of planning I was really enthusiastic about it. Now that I have finalized arrangements, I am still looking forward to it but the shine has been removed. Everything but the bus ticket had some kind of additional fee or charge.

Tickets to the show were advertised as $40 starting. I am going alone. Buying a single ticket limited me to only being able to pick from a handful of seats. I decided to get a good seat for $150 that felt like the best value for me. I go to check out and there is a $60 "handling fee" added. I'm printing the admission ticket at home so I don't really know what is being "handled." How does a random fee cost more than admission to the show? Booking a hotel room was pretty similar. Found one I thought was reasonable, but the final charge was significantly more than advertised due to tax and some other things.

I rarely buy tickets to events or stay in hotels. So maybe these fees and charges are common knowledge that I just don't have. I have no problem affording this. But I don't like the effect spending more than anticipated every once and a while has on my outlook. I'ts starting to feel like a pattern.
Last edited by cnblure on Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normchad

Re: How To Stay Positive When Feeling Nickle and Dimed

Post by Normchad »

I try to look at the “out the door” price for things, and not get wrapped up in the extra fees.

Yes, the fees are atrocious. If they were abolished, and tickets were between 100 and 210, that would be more honest. But it wouldn’t change what YOU pay.

When I go to Disney World, I just know it’s going to cost about $1000 a day. Paying for as much as I can in advance helps me keep my sanity about it. I won’t let a $7 glass of orange juice ruin my $5000 vacation.

So for you, you’re going to New York, which is awesome. And you get to see a show you’ve been looking forward to, which is awesome. And you got an awesome seat! Don’t let the atrocious fees take the joy out of it. [post edited by Moderator Misenplace]
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

One way is to simply not participate.

Sometimes that is possible, sometimes it is not.

If it isn't possible to avoid, then just do your best to ignore the associated fees and just look at the "all-in" price and determine that if that number is worth it to you.

And if it is possible to avoid, then do so. Being nickel and dimed on taxes and fees is the primary reason why I cut my cable cord--I just got fed up with all of the broadcast and sports tv surcharges and the like that I just reached my point of "no more" and dropped it.

I will say, however, it is certainly seems to me that more and more companies and vendors are increasing their prices by a dollar here and there, hoping that you don't really notice, while simultaneously either not providing any additional services or value for the price increase or, even worse, actually reducing services. Humph.
rantk81

Post by rantk81 »

Not as bad as "resort fees" in hotels now. That's even more ridiculous...
The Broz

Post by The Broz »

We live pretty frugal lives, and travel is the one area where we will spend a little. For example - when we decided to visit Paris, my wife asked what my budget was for a place to stay. My response was "whatever is costs". I wasn't going to stay in a dump to save a few dollars. We are still pretty cost conscious on trips, but not to the point where it threatens to taint the vacation. I used to work at a job that I hated, but made good money that we could spend on a vacation so I wasn't about to let something ruin the vacation over a few bucks. I thought of it this way "this is why we save money like we do", and left it at that.
We used to go to Las Vegas a couple times a year, and that is the capital of the death by a thousand cuts of fees. But it is what it is - we had fun on the trips and that is why we spent the money.
I wouldn't worry too much about your trip. You are going to have fun and that is the most important thing. If you were in debt and borrowing money to make the trip, then I might be a little more annoyed but I trust that is not the case.
Last edited by The Broz on Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe »

A few of the many ways to get cheap(er) tickets for Broadway shows:
https://www.nytix.com/articles/cheap-broadway-tickets

I hate those add-on payments too! Some sites charge less than others, so you have to scout a bit.

But now that you've paid for it-----just go and enjoy every single minute on old Broadwa-ay-ay-ay~!!!!!!!
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso
rich126

Post by rich126 »

40% handling fee is excessive. As others said maybe it is best to just look at out the door prices.

I will admit that those fees cause me to rethink attending certain events. I've avoided Vegas for a good decade now due to getting nickel and dime on their rooms and people constantly looking for tips. Most of my travel is usually in Europe where things seem better.

I'm still trying to figure out why people spend $40+ for a baseball spring training ticket to see a game that doesn't count. I will admit the atmosphere is nice but $40 + parking + fees is a lot and I live around the corner from one site.

I hope you aren't driving there, or are at least aware of the extreme parking fees. I read a blog of a visitor to NYC and the hotel wanted $60 a night just for a parking spot. He found some other location for less money but still not cheap.

At least be happy you can afford it.
BobTexas

Post by BobTexas »

I rented a car at O’Hare last week. The car fee was $84, and the total with taxes and fees was $135.

Crazy
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Random Poster wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:31 pm One way is to simply not participate.
That's my answer.
chevca

Post by chevca »

cnblure wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:23 pm My favorite movie is being made into a Broadway production. NYC is only four hours away, so I thought it would be a lot of fun to to make a weekend trip out of going to see it.

I rarely buy tickets to events or stay in hotels.
It's something that is going to be lots of fun for you and you don't do it often. Yes, any extra fees are a pain. It will totally be worth it though. Focus on the experience coming up. :beer
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

If you know the total cost ahead of time I do not see any issue at all.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

cnblure wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:23 pm My favorite movie is being made into a Broadway production. NYC is only four hours away, so I thought it would be a lot of fun to to make a weekend trip out of going to see it. At the beginning of planning I was really enthusiastic about it. Now that I have finalized arrangements, I am still looking forward to it but the shine has been removed. Everything but the bus ticket had some kind of additional fee or charge.

Tickets to the show were advertised as $40 starting. I am going alone. Buying a single ticket limited me to only being able to pick from a handful of seats. I decided to get a good seat for $150 that felt like the best value for me. I go to check out and there is a $60 "handling fee" added. I'm printing the admission ticket at home so I don't really know what is being "handled." How does a random fee cost more than admission to the show? Booking a hotel room was pretty similar. Found one I thought was reasonable, but the final charge was significantly more than advertised due to tax and some other things.

I rarely buy tickets to events or stay in hotels. So maybe these fees and charges are common knowledge that I just don't have. I have no problem affording this. But I don't like the effect spending more than anticipated every once and a while has on my outlook. I'ts starting to feel like a pattern.
I went to see the Hello Dolly tour in Philadelphia two weeks ago.
I bought the ticket at the box office.
I was still charged around $15 in extra fees.
It is just the way it is.
Though I did notice that the $30 day-of rush ticket was inclusive but you had to pay cash.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Anything I buy I have to "mentally adjust" the price. Add in sales tax, fees, shipping, etc... I'm interested in the "out the door price". Sleezy tactics, but it's "normal".
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

smitcat wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:43 pm If you know the total cost ahead of time I do not see any issue at all.
Agreed. If they surprise you with "surprise billing" after the fact, then you have a reason to gripe. Market forces. When others are paying, they have no reason to change.
corysold

Post by corysold »

smitcat wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:43 pm If you know the total cost ahead of time I do not see any issue at all.
True, but to me the issue is what counts as "ahead of time".

Yes, I can not buy the ticket when the extra 20% in fees come up at checkout, but why should I have to go through the whole process before I know the total cost?

Total price should be required on any advertising of prices. If they want to break it down at checkout what percentage of that cost goes where, great. But the cost at checkout should be the same as the very first price you see.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

I'm not surprised to see tax added to things, but yes I take a look at the added on charges before I click to place an order and sometimes because of them I just don't buy the thing.

Personally NYC is my idea of hell, but to each his own :-) Have a good time.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

corysold wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:31 am
True, but to me the issue is what counts as "ahead of time".

Yes, I can not buy the ticket when the extra 20% in fees come up at checkout, but why should I have to go through the whole process before I know the total cost?

Total price should be required on any advertising of prices. If they want to break it down at checkout what percentage of that cost goes where, great. But the cost at checkout should be the same as the very first price you see.
Because of marketing - just like cars, homes, insurances, food, just about everything.
If you do not like it I suggest you refrain from purchasing anything.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Don't get my wife started on AirB&B fees. Or me on airline fees. Or the car I just bought where they wanted $799 for "processing fee".

Sometimes you can avoid the fee by buying at the box office. When you buy a movie ticket in advance, see if the theater has their own site selling tickets, which around here is much cheaper than using third-party companies like Fandango.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

If you don't want to pay fees when going to Broadway, you are free to stand in line at the TKTS booth in Times Square or Lincoln Center.

So think of the handling fee as not having to do that.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

fru-gal wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:34 amPersonally NYC is my idea of hell, but to each his own :-)
There are 3 levels, the other two being New Orleans and DisneyWorld.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:15 pm
fru-gal wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:34 amPersonally NYC is my idea of hell, but to each his own :-)
There are 3 levels, the other two being New Orleans and DisneyWorld.
True.

At least Disney is clean. That counts for something, no?

There is nothing more miserable than being on the monorail exiting Disney at night.
Babies crying, parents snapping at the kids and spouses. It might have been their happy place when they arrived, but as the day wears on, the little ones are no longer happy campers.

That reminds me, I need to see what the Florida resident pass is going for now. Thankfully the youngest grandchild is now almost 7, so we will have smooth sailing when we gp.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

New York is not that bad price wise if you avoid midtown/Times Square. If you want to do anything touristy while you are there be prepared to overpay.