Retirement in AZ-suggestions please

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
One Ping

Re: Retirement in AZ-suggestions please

Post by One Ping »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:05 pm
One Ping wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:02 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:50 pm
Prescott is a "tri city" area consisting of Prescott (town area), Prescott Valley (only a few miles east), and Chino Valley (few miles north). Each has a different character. You can drive through the area in under 2 hours and get an idea.

j :happy
Sandtrap,
How would you describe the three separate areas (Prescott, Prescott Valley and Chino Valley)?
Prescott: ...

Prescott Valley: East of Prescott town. ...

Chino Valley: Northeast of Prescott Town and Prescott Valley. ...

Hope this helps.
j
Thanks, Sandtrap! Great summary. Much appreciated. :sharebeer
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."
RagnarRahl

Post by RagnarRahl »

When you come to Scottsdale also take a look at Rio Verde. It is in the northeast corner of the Phoenix Valley. It is quite a bit higher and about eight degrees cooler than Scottsdale. I am moving from North Scottsdale to Rio Verde at the end of the month. I will be in the Trilogy planned community. It is just flat out gorgeous there. Your realtor should be acquainted with it.

You mentioned Green Valley at one point. I lived near there for nine years. It is a nice retirement community but the county is doing nothing about the roads and they are deteriorating badly.

The zip is 85263.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

RagnarRahl wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:08 am You mentioned Green Valley at one point. I lived near there for nine years. It is a nice retirement community but the county is doing nothing about the roads and they are deteriorating badly.
Did the town of Green Valley not maintain their own roads?
RagnarRahl

Post by RagnarRahl »

HueyLD wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:53 am
RagnarRahl wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:08 am You mentioned Green Valley at one point. I lived near there for nine years. It is a nice retirement community but the county is doing nothing about the roads and they are deteriorating badly.
Did the town of Green Valley not maintain their own roads?
Green Valley is not incorporated. The roads are supposed to be maintained by Pima County, but it is a low priority for them for complex political reasons.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

rich126 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:47 pm
Scorpions are hit or miss depending on your location. I’ve never seen one but I know others have to look for them in their house. Unlike in the movies scorpion bites are rarely deadly but more like a bee sting.
I had a cat that would find the scorpions and play with them until they died and then leave them in several pieces on the floor. One day I saw the cat looking at a shoe and thought, "There is a scorpion under the shoe." I went and got a paper towel (I usually pick them up with a doubled over towel and flush them) and went to pick up the shoe. Unfortunately, the scorpion was in the shoe and not under it. The sting hurt like ****. Called poison control (the go to here for scorpion stings) and the nurse told me not to worry unless I started twitching and drooling and if I did it would start in 6hr or less. It never happened but my whole arm went numb up to the elbow for a day and finger for about 5 days. It was alarming but now I look back and laugh about it.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Not completely sure what it is like to live there, but Green Valley always felt far and isolated to me, when I would drive there from Phoenix to visit friends. The friends like it there, though, and it's obviously not that far from Tucson on the interstate. There appeared to be adequate retail, medical, etc., in Green Valley and Sahuarita, from what I could tell.

Regarding the aforementioned temperature differences between PHX and TUS: I wouldn't put too much emphasis on them. A difference of 3-5 degrees doesn't really mean much in the middle of summer. Both are just crazy hot at that time of year, if you are not used to it. :shock:
pindevil

Post by pindevil »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:11 pm
As for crime. There are a lot of States where there are easier prey. AZ is an "open carry" and CCW state.
No permit is required to conceal AZ if you are at least 21 years old. CCW permits are still issued for various reasons including reciprocity but not required for both residents and non-residents.
Watty

Post by Watty »

sil2017 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:55 pm I like to leave CA and relocate to another state for my retirement.

I checked out Nevada and Florida and both are not to my liking. I don't think I want the heat from Nevada and hurricane plus humidity from Florida. I already spent time looking at houses in both States.

I am thinking of AZ. I recall last time, I listed so many criteria, some people thought I was a troll...

Well this time, only a couple of criteria:

1. Best mild climate (not too cold but definitely not hot in the summer), Im okay with some snow
2. Very safe neighborhood (very low crime )
You might also check out Bend Oregon and the small cities around it. I am not up to date on the area but I know someone that moved to Prescott and did not like it so they moved up to that area.

One of the things that they ran into was while their house in Prescott was never in danger they could see one of the big fires there a few years ago.

Be sure to look into the Oregon taxes to make sure that they would be OK for you since they can be high.

Wherever you go it would be good to rent for a year to make sure that you really like the area.
brandy

Post by brandy »

Re Green Valley: There are open pit mines nearby:
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/image ... rn-arizona

https://www.gvnews.com/news/the-case-is ... c0005.html
from that article: Though the mine hired a consultant to look into the issue, and a hotline was set up to report the odor, Spaulding said he doesn't know if anything came of that. It seems to him that the residents' complaints have been brushed off, he said.

He's also concerned about what it will do to property values, as it's something that must be disclosed to any potential buyers.

Re Sierra Vista: About 26 years ago I tried to buy a house in Sierra Vista from a LONG way away. What I kept hearing from the REagents was “fixer-upper”. On EVERY listing they sent me though I made it clear I did NOT want a fixer-upper. They ALL had sustained a lot of damage, into the tens of thousands. NOT what I wanted, and that was on top of the house itself.
MY last straw, the agent finally sent info on one that had possibilities until I asked what was behind the house. She refused to tell me, even after I told her there had to be something behind it—a 10 story building, a cliff, a mountain, an amusement park. ..Finally she burst out the traffic light for the intersection to the main gate of the military base. Imagine the noise and fumes from hundreds of vehicles waiting to get into the base each day…
(I bought about 80 miles north)

I was recently surprised. About 3-4 months ago (Nov-Dec 2019) a friend went to Sierra Vista several times looking to buy a SFR and came back and complained loud and long about all the houses SHE was shown, that all needed extensive repair/rebuilding.
I don’t know what else is there, it is a military town.

You might consider hiring someone/company to go look at AND take photos of a place and surrounding neighborhood before committing to one.
Perhaps a local general contractor or two, or a company such as https://wegolook.com/

One other item: Check into wind and dust events/problems where ever you buy here.
best wishes
Bnjneer

Post by Bnjneer »

I would skip Sedona. We have lived here for two years, now.

1. Way too many tourists at all times. Roads get congested and there aren't alternate routes.
2. No real hospital here in town. Healthcare is not that good. This was something we didn't look into enough.
3. Town closes up early, including restaurants.
4. Restaurants are mediocre compared to where we moved from.
5. Expensive.
6. Great place to visit if you like hiking and taking in the scenery.
7. Great place to live if you are still young enough to enjoy the outdoor activities.
8. Too far from an airport which makes it a hassle to travel.
9. Have to dive to Prescott for shopping.

For example, this weekend, they had a mountain bike festival. Town filled up with 4,000 mountain bikers for a town of around 10,000. They continue to build more and more hotels and cater too much to tourism vs the people that live here.

Friends live in Payson and they love it over there.

Good luck
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai »

Glenn wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:54 pm
. Be ready for a rattle snake greeting you near your front door, in your yards,
Hilarious. I've lived in Tempe for 48 years and no one I know has ever found one in their yard. If you live at the edge of town, bordering desert, then it can happen. In town, in a typical suburban area, never. I'm a biologist and have dealt with many snakes, in natural desert areas. Never in town. Now, scorpions are another matter.
What about poisonous spiders?
btenny

Post by btenny »

I really think you need to look at Nevada some more. There are a bunch of nice towns near Lake Tahoe in northern Nevada like Reno and Carson City and Gardnerville (large, medium and small towns). All have nice four season climates with mild winters and little snow and nice summers with highs in the 80s. Good housing is available at modest prices. All three are as nice as Prescott Arizona. For retirement living they are great and have LCOL. See below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=reno+ne ... X8XccXAwlM:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reno,_Nevada
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_City,_Nevada
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardnerville,_Nevada
ram

Post by ram »

A few random thoughts/observations:
I have lived in the Arabian desert for 3 years (summer temp 110-120 degrees, very dry). I now live in north Wisconsin (winter temp -20). Car batteries fail more commonly in Wisconsin winters.

Car plastics cracked and colors faded in the desert. My car was street parked. My 10 year old car otherwise worked fine.

I have visited Phoenix twice. On one occasion I saw a beautiful green, most likely non poisonous snake crossing the brick pathway as I was walking from the parking area to the main entrance of the Phoenix botanical garden. Last summer I was staying in an upscale resort in Dana Point, California and I saw a snake crossing the pathway onto the golf course.

I have lived and worked in India for many years and treated 100's of snake bite victims at a tertiary care center. A bulk of these bites were from Indian cobras (Naja naja, Elapidae family) and Russel's Vipers and related vipers (Viperidae family). In my hands the mortality rate was about 10% and many needed ICU care. Patients died from stoppage of breathing (neurotoxin from Elapidae) or excessive bleeding (from Viperidae bites).

I have treated >100 scorpion stings in the Arabian desert. Nobody has died. Most patients needed local anesthetic (lidocaine) infiltration around the sting site followed by a few tylenol or ibuprofen. Seldom was anybody admitted to the hospital and never in ICU.

I have never suffered a scorpion sting. I have had a few bee stings. From my experience and observation I would say that scorpion sting results in far far more severe pain than a bee sting. I have never had any patient come to a hospital for bee sting pain. (I only treat adults).

In the desert we frequently went out in the countryside, spread a carpet, removed our shoes and had a meal while sitting on the carpet. We "always" shook our shoes and turned them upside down before wearing them. 20 years later when I take down my winter boots from the shelf at the beginning of winter I instinctively shake them and turn them upside down to get rid of scorpions.

In the desert my work hours were 7 am to 3 pm. I had a late lunch at 315 pm, slept from 330 to 630 and then went out in the evening. 8 pm to 1 am weather used to be very pleasant in summer and markets and restaurants remained open during those times.
Ram
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

ram wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:22 pm A few random thoughts/observations:
I have lived in the Arabian desert for 3 years (summer temp 110-120 degrees, very dry). I now live in north Wisconsin (winter temp -20). Car batteries fail more commonly in Wisconsin winters.

Car plastics cracked and colors faded in the desert. My car was street parked. My 10 year old car otherwise worked fine.

I have visited Phoenix twice. On one occasion I saw a beautiful green, most likely non poisonous snake crossing the brick pathway as I was walking from the parking area to the main entrance of the Phoenix botanical garden. Last summer I was staying in an upscale resort in Dana Point, California and I saw a snake crossing the pathway onto the golf course.

I have lived and worked in India for many years and treated 100's of snake bite victims at a tertiary care center. A bulk of these bites were from Indian cobras (Naja naja, Elapidae family) and Russel's Vipers and related vipers (Viperidae family). In my hands the mortality rate was about 10% and many needed ICU care. Patients died from stoppage of breathing (neurotoxin from Elapidae) or excessive bleeding (from Viperidae bites).

I have treated >100 scorpion stings in the Arabian desert. Nobody has died. Most patients needed local anesthetic (lidocaine) infiltration around the sting site followed by a few tylenol or ibuprofen. Seldom was anybody admitted to the hospital and never in ICU.

I have never suffered a scorpion sting. I have had a few bee stings. From my experience and observation I would say that scorpion sting results in far far more severe pain than a bee sting. I have never had any patient come to a hospital for bee sting pain. (I only treat adults).

In the desert we frequently went out in the countryside, spread a carpet, removed our shoes and had a meal while sitting on the carpet. We "always" shook our shoes and turned them upside down before wearing them. 20 years later when I take down my winter boots from the shelf at the beginning of winter I instinctively shake them and turn them upside down to get rid of scorpions.

In the desert my work hours were 7 am to 3 pm. I had a late lunch at 315 pm, slept from 330 to 630 and then went out in the evening. 8 pm to 1 am weather used to be very pleasant in summer and markets and restaurants remained open during those times.
You've had very interesting "adventures". :happy

I lived in both the midwest and Phoenix and have had battery issues in both places; however, the Phoenix dead battery was from leaving the car at the airport during the summer in an open parking lot for a period of time.

Venomous snake bites sound scary. I'm not afraid of snakes except for rattlers which are common in my area part of the year. Even if you are in good shape, a bite can sometimes be fatal. Most of the time, people are taken or flown to the ER and given the antivenom and recover. Many dogs are also bit during the summer.

I have heard that some of the rattlesnake species in southern CA and AZ can be more deadly, though. :shock:
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Scorpions are hit or miss depending on your location. I’ve never seen one but I know othersave to look for them in their house. Unlike in the movies scorpion bites are rarely deadly but more like a bee sting.
I agree about the hit or miss. It's hard to predict what house will have a problem, and it can change with time. I didn't have scorpions for 35 years in this house, until last summer. Collected several dozen outside without much effort, but only two inside.

Two special notes:

1. They're cryptic and nocturnal. You can easily miss them. However, they fluoresce bright green under UV. The local hardware stores carry UV flashlights. You simply walk around the outside (or inside!) of your house on a warm night with a UV light. They're easy to spot.

2. A bee sting? Well, it depends upon the species. It's definitely not true for the Bark Scorpion, Centruroides sculturatus and they are - by far - the most common ones found around homes. We used to say we used the "ceiling test" to tell if someone had been hit by a Centruroides. Tap the site of the sting; if the person's head hits the ceiling, it was a Centruroides. Extraordinarily painful, with other powerful neurotoxic effects. They're also potentially fatal, especially to children, but that rarely happens in the U.S. these days because the emergency rooms are stocked with an effective antivenom, made in Mexico.

And yes, we have dangerous spiders. Black Widows...like much of the country.

All in all, it's a terrible place. Heat, snakes, scorpions, political nuts. No one else should move here... Please.
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

It’s awful here. Go to California or New York.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I have heard that some of the rattlesnake species in southern CA and AZ can be more deadly, though
Yes, definitely. It rarely happens, however, because paramedics and ER's know how to treat them. It's still an intensely unpleasant experience. Google an image of a rattlesnake bite. That will keep you alert when wandering around the desert.

If you work in areas with snakes in warm weather, you learn to watch where you walk and use some common sense. The all-too-typical victim is a young male, inebriated, who purposefully picked the snake up. "Hey, guys, hold my beer!".
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I am an Arizona resident (now). I have seen a rattlesnake once in the wild. I thought I would look up some info about venomous snakes.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... ted_States

Apparently venomous snakes are found in every state except Alaska and Hawaii. As far as deaths are concerned- in the 2010s none occurred in Arizona. Oddly enough most of them were in the southeastern US.

I have attended the venomous reptile show at the Desert Museum in Tucson. (I saw several rattlesnakes there, as opposed to only one in the wild). They remarked on the high-risk factors for rattlesnake bites

1. Male.
2. Been drinking.
3. Have tattoos.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Glenn:

re: spiders

I'm not that afraid of Black Widows. The last time I found one, I caught it in a jar and relocated it to another home. They also have a place in the eco-system. Also, they don't strike at you like a snake might and are much smaller. :happy
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Yep...I don't actually worry much about scorpions and spiders, except when they're in places where kids might get hit. Actually, I focus more on Africanized bees. I spend a lot of time in remote desert areas and, of course, always watch for rattlesnakes. By far, the most dangerous animal in Arizona is other Arizonans.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Glenn wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:38 pm Yep...I don't actually worry much about scorpions and spiders, except when they're in places where kids might get hit. Actually, I focus more on Africanized bees. I spend a lot of time in remote desert areas and, of course, always watch for rattlesnakes. By far, the most dangerous animal in Arizona is other Arizonans.
LOL. There's a rowdy bunch in every state, I think!
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

We live in west Sedona and love it, but it's not everybody's cup of tea. Population 10,000 and you can't buy a pair of socks in this town :shock:

The descriptions of Prescott in this thread are pretty much on target. We shop there frequently and like the town a lot.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested Wickenburg. It has several adult communities and while hot in summer is not quite Phoenix hot. "Close enough to get away from it all" is the motto of one active adult community.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
dual

Post by dual »

An issue not mentioned is acclimation to high altitude. I have trouble with it and do not get used to it. Before you move to Flagstaff ~7000 ft altitude you definitely need to visit for an extended time to see how you feel. Even Sedona (~4300 ft) may affect you if you have lived at sea level in CA for a long time.
The Broz

Post by The Broz »

I can confirm a rattlesnake in my yard once in 10 or so years, and scorpions maybe 5 times (bitten once - went to the ER and they just told me to take OTC pain meds if I felt like I needed them).
I would not suggest staying away from somewhere that you think you would love because of snakes or scorpions. They are there, but it is not a common thing.
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

dual wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:20 pm An issue not mentioned is acclimation to high altitude. I have trouble with it and do not get used to it. Before you move to Flagstaff ~7000 ft altitude you definitely need to visit for an extended time to see how you feel. Even Sedona (~4300 ft) may affect you if you have lived at sea level in CA for a long time.
No need to worry about acclimation. February 2019, I hiked Mt. Kilimanjaro. No altitude sickness.

Also , hiked Inca trail several years back. No altitude sickness

talked to the realtor yesterday. She sent me a listing. There are houses a little further north of Scottsdale.

It has a septic system. I don't think I want to bother with this. I rather have the city take care of the sewage system
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

dual wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:20 pm An issue not mentioned is acclimation to high altitude. I have trouble with it and do not get used to it. Before you move to Flagstaff ~7000 ft altitude you definitely need to visit for an extended time to see how you feel. Even Sedona (~4300 ft) may affect you if you have lived at sea level in CA for a long time.
+1
It takes awhile for some folks to get used to the 1 mile high altitude of Prescott. Per the "bell curve", most do fine with time, some don't and move.

On a recent visit back home to visit family, I ventured up to the summit of Mauna Kea on the Big Island, of Hawaii, altitude, 13,000+ and was a bit light headed after walking around a bit. Others couldn't get out of the car. I think living in Prescott at 5,300 feet altitude helped because of the acclimation.

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

sil2017 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:03 am
No need to worry about acclimation. February 2019, I hiked Mt. Kilimanjaro. No altitude sickness.

Also , hiked Inca trail several years back. No altitude sickness

talked to the realtor yesterday. She sent me a listing. There are houses a little further north of Scottsdale.

It has a septic system. I don't think I want to bother with this. I rather have the city take care of the sewage system
There are some very nice areas North of Scottsdale, but close to everything in the city. IE: Anthem, etc.
Prices are still reasonable.
Not so much in the high density areas.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

Flagstaff winters can get pretty brutal.
Prescott would be my first choice based on your criteria.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

bighatnohorse wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:20 am Flagstaff winters can get pretty brutal.
Prescott would be my first choice based on your criteria.
+1
A rare heavy snow storm hit Prescott not long ago. 30" of snow. Record lows, single digits. Usual winters are a few inches at best and infrequent snow fall. Temps in the 20's for a short time only. And, winter days turn warm when the sun comes out and shines bright on clear days.
But, Flagstaff can be a cold place indeed where multiple snows take forever to melt out and temps remain cold. But, perfect for those that love snow and outdoor snow sports.

Flagstaff's "layout" as far as roads, community locations, etc, is . . . . . interesting. . . being at the crossroads of I-40 and I-17, etc.. . . Sort of like Sedona's "interesting" city layout and access to I-17. . . .

lgilgi

Post by lgilgi »

SonnyDMB wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:08 am
HueyLD wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:17 pm When it is 110+ degrees, it is like a hot oven regardless of the humidity.

Your possessions will break down a lot faster than you are accustomed to. They include houses, appliances, cars, furniture, etc.

In addition, Arizona is known as the rattle snake capital of the USA. Be ready for a rattle snake greeting you near your front door, in your yards, on your neighborhood streets and on the hiking trails. Just be careful so that you don’t inadvertently step on one.
That’s a reckless statement to say expect a rattle snake at your front door, etc in Arizona. 24 years living there I still haven’t seen one. And I doubt possessions break down faster than other severe climates.
I agree the rattlesnake statemenet is reckless. If I was a person reading this thread I would be very scared reading that but not true fortunately. Bear Down
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

The Broz wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:32 pm I can confirm a rattlesnake in my yard once in 10 or so years, and scorpions maybe 5 times (bitten once - went to the ER and they just told me to take OTC pain meds if I felt like I needed them).
I would not suggest staying away from somewhere that you think you would love because of snakes or scorpions. They are there, but it is not a common thing.
What’s happening more over time are encounters with the Africanized Honey Bees 🐝 which will chase you down if disturbed. Hives migrate at various times of the year and can look as large as a dark basketball in a bush or tree branches. I’ve had 5 of these on my property in the past 8 years. Dangerous since we have horses.
J🤓
p14175

Post by p14175 »

My DH and I bought land near the US-Mexico border for retirement back in 1998. We finally moved to southern AZ but to the small farming and ranching town of Willcox instead. It's high desert with moderate temperatures and an occasional snow in the winter. Willcox has a growing wine industry.

Oh. And we have a pair of 4-5ft. long gopher snakes that patrol our property. Haven't seen a rattlesnake yet, but have spotted centipedes, vinegaroons, and a tarantula.
zbxb006

Post by zbxb006 »

When retiring after 20 years in Phoenix, we looked at every town within 3 hours drive, seeking a nice place with better weather and reasonable amenities. There was one clear winner, Prescott. The only thing that caused it to be eliminated was the spiraling housing costs caused by the influx of Californians who gladly overpaid and drove up the prices even more. If you don't mind the prices and can take ex-pat Californians and their attitudes and ramifications, it is a great place.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

p14175 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:21 pm My DH and I bought land near the US-Mexico border for retirement back in 1998. We finally moved to southern AZ but to the small farming and ranching town of Willcox instead. It's high desert with moderate temperatures and an occasional snow in the winter. Willcox has a growing wine industry.

Oh. And we have a pair of 4-5ft. long gopher snakes that patrol our property. Haven't seen a rattlesnake yet, but have spotted centipedes, vinegaroons, and a tarantula.
While they aren't poisonous (from what little I know) compared to nasty spiders like a brown recluse, seeing one would probably cause me to move :shock:

About 10 years ago when I previously lived in AZ, I went to the barber and his one hand had a huge heavy bandage (almost looked like a club). Turned out he was bitten by a brown recluse while doing something in the garden. They had to lance it multiple times, he said it was horribly painful and there was a chance they would amputate. Fortunately he did recover. I often forget to wear gloves while picking up the ton of fruit that falls off my trees and should know better.

A lot of these "critters" and your reaction to them depends on where you grew up. I'm not from the west or deserts so certain things cause me to think twice.
JakeyLee

Post by JakeyLee »

I purchased a nice home in a beautiful neighborhood in Scottsdale about 6 months ago (Grayhawk?). I look forward to moving there on a permanent basis by the end of the year. I've always enjoyed various trips to Arizona, but had never been to Scottsdale. First time there and I fell in love. It's a very different experience than Phoenix.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

zbxb006 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:24 pm When retiring after 20 years in Phoenix, we looked at every town within 3 hours drive, seeking a nice place with better weather and reasonable amenities. There was one clear winner, Prescott. The only thing that caused it to be eliminated was the spiraling housing costs caused by the influx of Californians who gladly overpaid and drove up the prices even more. If you don't mind the prices and can take ex-pat Californians and their attitudes and ramifications, it is a great place.
Interesting. Do you mind mentioning where you finally ended up? Did you stay in AZ? :happy
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

sil2017 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:36 pm I will be meeting with a realtor next month.

Initially wanted to look at Scottsdale only. Now thinking of Prescott as well
Scottsdale is going to be too hot for you during the months of June-September. North Scottsdale is only slightly cooler than the rest (due a small increase in altitude) and will often exceed 110 degrees in the summer. Even when not quite that hot the sun is extremely intense. There is often little reprieve at night during the monsoon season (mid-July through September) with bedtime temperatures still 100 or above and lows around sunrise in the 90's.

If you think you want to live there I highly recommend renting a place during the summer as a test before making a large financial commitment.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:48 pm
sil2017 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:36 pm I will be meeting with a realtor next month.

Initially wanted to look at Scottsdale only. Now thinking of Prescott as well
Scottsdale is going to be too hot for you during the months of June-September. North Scottsdale is only slightly cooler than the rest (due a small increase in altitude) and will often exceed 110 degrees in the summer. Even when not quite that hot the sun is extremely intense. There is often little reprieve at night during the monsoon season (mid-July through September) with bedtime temperatures still 100 or above and lows around sunrise in the 90's.

If you think you want to live there I highly recommend renting a place during the summer as a test before making a large financial commitment.
+1
There is no way to grasp 110-120 degrees in the shade and hotter in the sun except to experience it.

And, what it's like to try to get into a parked car under these conditions. . . . Yikes!!!!

OTOH: It is a dry heat. . . . :confused

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

zbxb006 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:24 pm When retiring after 20 years in Phoenix, we looked at every town within 3 hours drive, seeking a nice place with better weather and reasonable amenities. There was one clear winner, Prescott. The only thing that caused it to be eliminated was the spiraling housing costs caused by the influx of Californians who gladly overpaid and drove up the prices even more. If you don't mind the prices and can take ex-pat Californians and their attitudes and ramifications, it is a great place.
Not to worry.
Everyone comes from everywhere, East Coast, West Coast, etc.
All are assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

The Broz wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:32 pm I can confirm a rattlesnake in my yard once in 10 or so years, and scorpions maybe 5 times (bitten once - went to the ER and they just told me to take OTC pain meds if I felt like I needed them).
Mohave Green Rattlesnake has one of the most potent toxins.

My distant neighbors live in the trees and rocks and hillsides and have more of them. And, also other poisonous snakes.

For some reason, we rarely have snakes on our 20 acres. Lot's of gopher holes. Occasional gopher/brown snake. That's about it. We keep the pastures mowed low for firebreak and to keep crawling things visible. Also a perimeter "no climb" fence with 2" web spacings. It could be that we are in a wide open area so the snakes get picked up by the falcons, hawks, owls, and other birds. Not sure.

I have heard that horses will either punt them like a football or stomp them flat. Fortunately, never had that risk to our horses.

j :D
p14175

Post by p14175 »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:46 pm
For some reason, we rarely have snakes on our 20 acres. Lot's of gopher holes. Occasional gopher/brown snake. That's about it. We keep the pastures mowed low for firebreak and to keep crawling things visible. Also a perimeter "no climb" fence with 2" web spacings. It could be that we are in a wide open area so the snakes get picked up by the falcons, hawks, owls, and other birds. Not sure.

I have heard that horses will either punt them like a football or stomp them flat. Fortunately, never had that risk to our horses.

j :D
Last summer we watched a cottontail go after a large snake that got too close to her den. It was funnier than anything. In the end she grabbed the snake by the tail and ran off with it. Chances are the snake survived but was a little shook up.
SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave »

sil2017 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:37 pm Thank you all.

Will concentrate on Prescott and Sedona.

Is there a "bad' part of town in both cities?

Zipcodes ?

Lots to narrow down from realtor.com
Sierra Vista - 85635

Best kept secret in Arizona, 4600 ft above sea level so we don't get above 100 degrees nearly as often as Tucson with a population of 40-50k it's not nearly as congested as some of the big cities yet you still have everything you need.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

sil2017 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:37 pm Thank you all.

Will concentrate on Prescott and Sedona.

Is there a "bad' part of town in both cities?

Zipcodes ?

Lots to narrow down from realtor.com
Prescott Valley 86314 various pockets on the older East Side and SouthEast along the industrial areas.
Prescott 86301 various very small pockets, older areas with higher density close to the center of town (courthouse square is the center).
Higher end areas: Hassayampa, Williamson Valley, etc. You can tell by the homes and lot sizes.
Chino Valley 86323: older dense areas, some trailer, mobile, not site built. Pockets to the North and East.
Dewey (some pockets), Mayer (some pockets)
Camp Verde (some small pockets)
Sedona: (some very small pockets)
Cottonwood: (some small pockets)
Scottsdale: (some very small pockets as you head South toward Tempe.

Prescott and Sedona have very different qualities and "feel", and both are quite unique compared to generic small towns. You really have to visit them.

Realize that "small" (under 100k pop) town USA is not going to have city block size welfare projects or swaths of "blight" and all that entails.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

HueyLD wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:19 am SunnyD,

What I said was based on nothing but facts. You should not use the word reckless when someone posted a true situation you haven’t experienced yourself.

I have first person experience in all of the above, ditto many of my neighbors posted on our not so small metro area’s Nextdoor website. A very lucrative business here is to catch rattle snakes from people’s yards at $75 per trip. I initially thought people were joking when they said to be careful and looked down when one stepped out of the front door threshold. But having not one, but two buddies rattling at me when I opened the front door was a very traumatic experience. Of course that doesn’t happen every day, but that does happen to many of us more regularly than we like.

And the breakdown rates of stuff again is based on comparative experience. For example, a five year car battery may last five years in non desert climate, but in an extreme heat and dry climate, a battery dies about every 2-3 years. Same for tires that wear out and crack prematurely in the combination of heat and lack of moisture.

I merely shared my experience and knowledge like a typical Boglehead does with investment knowledge. There is no need to call me names because you don’t agree with me.
I lived there 3 years and never saw a rattlesnake. It depends where you live like everything else.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

hoops777 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:40 pm
HueyLD wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:19 am SunnyD,

What I said was based on nothing but facts. You should not use the word reckless when someone posted a true situation you haven’t experienced yourself.

I have first person experience in all of the above, ditto many of my neighbors posted on our not so small metro area’s Nextdoor website. A very lucrative business here is to catch rattle snakes from people’s yards at $75 per trip. I initially thought people were joking when they said to be careful and looked down when one stepped out of the front door threshold. But having not one, but two buddies rattling at me when I opened the front door was a very traumatic experience. Of course that doesn’t happen every day, but that does happen to many of us more regularly than we like.

And the breakdown rates of stuff again is based on comparative experience. For example, a five year car battery may last five years in non desert climate, but in an extreme heat and dry climate, a battery dies about every 2-3 years. Same for tires that wear out and crack prematurely in the combination of heat and lack of moisture.

I merely shared my experience and knowledge like a typical Boglehead does with investment knowledge. There is no need to call me names because you don’t agree with me.
I lived there 3 years and never saw a rattlesnake. It depends where you live like everything else.
It's strange about these things.
I have neighbors with a zillion gopher/brown snakes and occasional rattlers and mohave greens (venomouse)
But, there are none on my 20 acre parcel.
Also pack rat problems are common in our area, except on my property.
Go figure.
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

Canceled trip to Scottsdale next month so no house hunting yet.

Not taking a risk by taking a flight now. In fact, I canceled 2 trips to see my friend and my mom in April
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

sil2017 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:54 pm Canceled trip to Scottsdale next month so no house hunting yet.

Not taking a risk by taking a flight now. In fact, I canceled 2 trips to see my friend and my mom in April
Best to stay safe! :happy
SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:01 pm
sil2017 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:54 pm Canceled trip to Scottsdale next month so no house hunting yet.

Best to stay safe! :happy
You might be safer in Arizona ;)
rich126

Post by rich126 »

If things last a few months, I'd anticipate some price drops, 10-20%. Some of the demand here are due to house flippers, speculators, people from CA, etc. And more than a few use leverage so when things break, it can get ugly.

I was hoping things would hold through the summer since I may sell my place but if prices drop I may be better off staying put or renting it out. I just don't think a 2,000 sq ft home in Scottsdale should go for $600K and up. Not enough high paying jobs here. It isn't silicon valley where jobs pay more and I'm sure homes start at $1M+.

Just my 2 cents.
ram

Post by ram »

rich126 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:44 pm

If things last a few months, I'd anticipate some price drops, 10-20%. Some of the demand here are due to house flippers, speculators, people from CA, etc. And more than a few use leverage so when things break, it can get ugly.

I was hoping things would hold through the summer since I may sell my place but if prices drop I may be better off staying put or renting it out. I just don't think a 2,000 sq ft home in Scottsdale should go for $600K and up. Not enough high paying jobs here. It isn't silicon valley where jobs pay more and I'm sure homes start at $1M+.

Just my 2 cents.
Any idea what percent of Scottsdale homes are owned by people who made their money elsewhere. These include people who have retired there and not yet retired people who have bought a house there for potential future retirement.
Ram