Retirement in AZ-suggestions please

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sil2017

Retirement in AZ-suggestions please

Post by sil2017 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:55 pm

I like to leave CA and relocate to another state for my retirement.

I checked out Nevada and Florida and both are not to my liking. I don't think I want the heat from Nevada and hurricane plus humidity from Florida. I already spent time looking at houses in both States.

I am thinking of AZ. I recall last time, I listed so many criteria, some people thought I was a troll...

Well this time, only a couple of criteria:

1. Best mild climate (not too cold but definitely not hot in the summer), Im okay with some snow
2. Very safe neighborhood (very low crime )

I know I won't find any place similar to the beach in Orange County ,CA but anything even close to the climate I am used to would be ideal.

Maybe near Scottsdale? Maybe not.

Zipcodes please for me to do research

cookymonster

Re: Retirement in AZ-suggestions please

Post by cookymonster » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:09 pm

Not sure how you would ever tolerate Scottsdale if you found Nevada oppressively hot.

With Arizona, look first at elevation to get a good sense of the climate. Scottsdale is only about 1200'. Flagstaff is a completely different climate at 6900'. You probably want something in between.

I do not know Arizona very well but you might look at Prescott, Sedona, Sierra Vista. They are all between 4,000 and 6,000 feet in elevation.

Good luck.
Last edited by cookymonster on Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zengolf2011

Post by zengolf2011 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:13 pm

cookymonster gave you good advice. Highs in Scottsdale reach over 100 degrees. Flagstaff, Prescott, Chino Valley, Sedona, and Sierra Vista would all be possibilities.

Howard Boark

Post by Howard Boark » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:14 pm

Scottsdale gets a bit cooler as you go more north due to elevation gain, but you are still looking at 105+ degree days in the Summer.

Somewhere like Payson, AZ would fit your criteria better.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:26 pm

zengolf2011 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:13 pm
cookymonster gave you good advice. Highs in Scottsdale reach over 100 degrees. Flagstaff, Prescott, Chino Valley, Sedona, and Sierra Vista would all be possibilities.
Not just over 100, but over 115.

In AZ altitude is climate. Hot to cooler: Yuma, Phoenix, Tucson, Cottonwood, Sedona, Prescott, Flagstaff.

You don't need zipcodes because once you get out of the furnace (Phoenix) the cities are small enough that the city is local enough.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:33 pm

Reno, Salt Lake City, Provo/Orem, St. George, Colorado Springs, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Flagstaff, and Prescott are all higher elevation than Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Tucson. Lots of different sizes of cities in that list to consider along with many California retirees.

The above all will have very safe neighborhoods so you'd have to focus on the those of interest to you.

Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:37 pm

Thank you all.

Will concentrate on Prescott and Sedona.

Is there a "bad' part of town in both cities?

Zipcodes ?

Lots to narrow down from realtor.com

The Broz

Post by The Broz » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:46 pm

If you think Nevada is hot, anywhere vaguely considered PHX will be way too hot (I lived there for 25 years). Tucson might be tolerable for you, and then certainly Payson, Prescott, Sedona ($$), Flagstaff. It really depends on what you can handle climate-wise and how big of a town you want to live in. Payson is really small IMO. Tucson will be the biggest of all these towns and also the hottest (but not like PHX). Flagstaff is the coolest, but at that elevation the sun in the summertime is still very intense so 70 degrees does not feel like the 70 degrees you may be used to. Sedona is nice enough (and gorgeous), but I believe it is rather expensive as people have migrated there and driven up costs. Prescott is a nice town where I spent a few weekends here and there, and where I proposed to my wife. You will get occasional snow (not as much as Flagstaff), but it is also a nice little town that is small but not too small. It is also a reasonable drive from PHX should you need to catch a plane somewhere.

Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:55 pm

Just checked Sedona. Megabucks for houses. Reasonable for condo but with 2 mini dachshunds, I need a house.

Tuscon is too hot for me. I was there first week of March 2019 and it was already hot in the daytime.

Will add Flagstaff to the search.

Flagstaff versus Prescott?

Would like to be close to a 24 hour fitness and restaurants but also want a quiet and safe neighborhood.

mhc

Post by mhc » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:57 pm

sil2017 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:37 pm
You can overlay a crime heat map in realtor.com. Go to map mode for listing. There is an option to overlay the crime.

The Broz

Post by The Broz » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:05 pm

mhc wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:57 pm
sil2017 wrote:
You can overlay a crime heat map in realtor.com. Go to map mode for listing. There is an option to overlay the crime.
I didn't know this existed - this is great - thanks!

Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:06 pm

The Broz wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:05 pm
mhc wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:57 pm
sil2017 wrote:
I didn't know this existed - this is great - thanks!
Neither did I. thanks

RickyAZ

Post by RickyAZ » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:10 pm

You get use to the heat when it's 100. A bit of shade and the misting systems a lot of places have here make it tolerable. Not when it is >110 (which it can be for most of June and July) Then you stay inside until the sun goes down. You quickly become a morning person when you have dogs.
Sedona is nice but very touristy. Flagstaff has everything you could want except a Costco and a big airport

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:12 pm

sil2017 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:55 pm
Just checked Sedona. Megabucks for houses. Reasonable for condo but with 2 mini dachshunds, I need a house.

Tuscon is too hot for me. I was there first week of March 2019 and it was already hot in the daytime.

Would like to be close to a 24 hour fitness and restaurants but also want a quiet and safe neighborhood.
Also consider Prescott Valley - I have family who moved there and practically all of their neighbors migrated from California.

Prescott/Prescott Valley area has a Costco. A small airport provides service to Denver and LAX. Restaurant choices may be more limited than what you are used to, IMHO.

I also met someone who moved from the Pacific Northwest to Camp Verde and said she likes the weather and told me there's far less snow than Flagstaff and even Prescott. I don't know anything about that specific area.
Last edited by DesertDiva on Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Broz

Post by The Broz » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:14 pm

sil2017 wrote:

Pros and cons to each. I think it just depends on what is important to you. I don't know the relative prices in RE are, but I think either are good choices.

And BTW - you do get used to the heat after a bit within reason. 110 is always going to be hot, but you do get to a point where 90 is nothing to be considered, especially if it cools off at night. My issue with the climate in PHX was not the extreme heat during the day for a little while. I just could not stand 5 months of intense heat 24 hours a day. So when we visited Tucson in the summer and it was 95 in the daytime, cooled off nicely at night (and could be almost a chill in the air if a late afternoon storm had come through), we thought it was great.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:33 pm

Prescott 86305 growing. 1 mile high in the mountains surrounded by national forests and mountain lakes. Not cheap. Not hot with mild winter and summers.
No beach.

Sedona as above more traffic congestion higher prices and tourism.

Depends on ones budget

North scottsdale area
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

veggivet

Post by veggivet » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:37 pm

I thought it wasn't the heat, but the humidity! :oops:
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.

The Broz

Post by The Broz » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:10 pm

If/when you visit Flagstaff, I might suggest MartAnne's Cafe for breakfast. It is out of this world. I generally think eating out for breakfast is kind of a waste and Mexican is not one of my top cuisines, but this place is on another level.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:17 pm

When it is 110+ degrees, it is like a hot oven regardless of the humidity.

Your possessions will break down a lot faster than you are accustomed to. They include houses, appliances, cars, furniture, etc.

In addition, Arizona is known as the rattle snake capital of the USA. Be ready for a rattle snake greeting you near your front door, in your yards, on your neighborhood streets and on the hiking trails. Just be careful so that you don’t inadvertently step on one.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:19 pm

Prescott is terrible - stay clear.

Just kidding - 86301 - really happy here. I love Flag - but the traffic there is pretty bad.

Anyhow - very low crime - in fact we went on vacation to Utah and Co - and accidentally left our keys in the front door - they were still there when we got back. Very friendly folks - much more so than where we came from Bay Area.

You go to Burger King here - they say - Welcome to Burger King - in Alameda - they glare at you. It is kinda like Mayberry.

veggivet

Post by veggivet » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:21 pm

If you're into astronomy, Flagstaff has a great observatory and dark skies.
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:35 pm

The Broz wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:10 pm
If/when you visit Flagstaff, I might suggest MartAnne's Cafe for breakfast. It is out of this world. I generally think eating out for breakfast is kind of a waste and Mexican is not one of my top cuisines, but this place is on another level.
+100. It’s become a regular stopping point on our travels!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:11 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:19 pm
Prescott is terrible - stay clear.

Just kidding - 86301 - really happy here. I love Flag - but the traffic there is pretty bad.

Anyhow - very low crime - in fact we went on vacation to Utah and Co - and accidentally left our keys in the front door - they were still there when we got back. Very friendly folks - much more so than where we came from Bay Area.

You go to Burger King here - they say - Welcome to Burger King - in Alameda - they glare at you. It is kinda like Mayberry.
+1
Yes. DW and I lived in Prescott 30 years ago and it was a sleepy mountain town, yet upscale and growing.
Groups of teenagers and younglings walked along the shores of the mountain lakes and skipped stones on the weekends.
Church parking lot's overflowed on Sundays.
A post office window person would close his window to help take a box to the car of an elderly lady. (saw this).
And, a police officer would stop and help you fix a broken throttle cable on your car so you could get home. (DW had this happen)
And, the headline on the local newspaper was to help a veteran find his lost dog.

Prescott, Arizona.
Where all the men are strong and say "yes ma'm" and "no m'am".
Where all the women are attractive, wear jeans, and drive large pickup trucks.
And, all the children are above average, and know how to ride a horse and rope a lost calf.

As for crime. There are a lot of States where there are easier prey. AZ is an "open carry" and CCW state.
Also, small towns in Arizona and Northern Arizona are relatively peaceful. Graffiti, graft, and blight, are simply not tolerated by residents who tend to be old fashioned, valued, and self-reliant. Peer pressure is high, behave and respect, . . or leave.

Temperatures year round are from 15-20 degrees cooler than sweltering Phoenix, Scottsdale, etc, which are 2 hours South and a mile lower in altitude.

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:14 pm

July, Aug, Sept gets nasty but the rest of the year with low humidity is nice. 70s/80s now. I’ve lived in Scottsdale for about 10 of the last 20 years. Right now real estate is high although probably not compared to much of CA.

I would suggest renting for a while to see if you like it. I enjoy the touristy part since there are tons of restaurants and people watching and lots of sports events. Some people are put off by the attitude of some residents due to having money and thinking they are special.

I’m kind of torn since the weather is very nice, especially if you can disappear for a few summer months and my house is nearly paid off but I don’t care for the money makes someone better than others attitude. Also if diversity is important to you this may not be a good spot. I look around and see mostly 50+ white people. I think I saw 85% white, 6% asians. Other parts of town are heavily Hispanic.

Flagstaff is another world. More college town, a good amount of snow. Wouldn’t be for me. I prefer to be close to a major airport. I’ve come to the conclusion there isn’t a perfect place. I may retire here or go elsewhere in a few years.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:24 pm

Scottsdale has evolved and grown over the past 40 years. A long time ago, it was the end of the city with nothing but scrub and sand to the North. Now, there's sort of sub areas, North Scottsdale, Carefree, Fountain Hills, Cave Creek, Troon area, Pinnacle Peak$$, etc.

It might be worth it to rent for a time and explore all of these enclaves because each has a little different feel to them. Yes, some tend to be pretty affluent, or gated and private, etc.

A lot depends on your budget and lifestyle.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:28 pm

DesertDiva wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:12 pm
sil2017 wrote:

Also consider Prescott Valley - I have family who moved there and practically all of their neighbors migrated from California.

Prescott/Prescott Valley area has a Costco. A small airport provides service to Denver and LAX. Restaurant choices may be more limited than what you are used to, IMHO.

I also met someone who moved from the Pacific Northwest to Camp Verde and said she likes the weather and told me there's far less snow than Flagstaff and even Prescott. I don't know anything about that specific area.
Yes. All the major stores and outlets are there.
Home Depot (2), Lowes, Wallmart (many), and much more in Prescott and Prescott Valley. The tri city area of Prescott, Prescott Valley, and Chino Valley is growing as fast as it can grow right now.

Camp Verde is a quiet town, small stores. You have to go to Prescott to get to the larger stores. It depends on what your chosen lifestyle is, how far from larger towns and cities you want to be, and definitely, how large a property you want to own. IE: large acreage properties with a nice home in a nice area is not was easy to find as you might think.

IE: If you need at least 20 acres and want to live in an upscale neighborhood, or area, it will be very hard to find.

SonnyDMB

Post by SonnyDMB » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:08 am

HueyLD wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:17 pm
When it is 110+ degrees, it is like a hot oven regardless of the humidity.

Your possessions will break down a lot faster than you are accustomed to. They include houses, appliances, cars, furniture, etc.

In addition, Arizona is known as the rattle snake capital of the USA. Be ready for a rattle snake greeting you near your front door, in your yards, on your neighborhood streets and on the hiking trails. Just be careful so that you don’t inadvertently step on one.
That’s a reckless statement to say expect a rattle snake at your front door, etc in Arizona. 24 years living there I still haven’t seen one. And I doubt possessions break down faster than other severe climates.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:19 am

SunnyD,

What I said was based on nothing but facts. You should not use the word reckless when someone posted a true situation you haven’t experienced yourself.

I have first person experience in all of the above, ditto many of my neighbors posted on our not so small metro area’s Nextdoor website. A very lucrative business here is to catch rattle snakes from people’s yards at $75 per trip. I initially thought people were joking when they said to be careful and looked down when one stepped out of the front door threshold. But having not one, but two buddies rattling at me when I opened the front door was a very traumatic experience. Of course that doesn’t happen every day, but that does happen to many of us more regularly than we like.

And the breakdown rates of stuff again is based on comparative experience. For example, a five year car battery may last five years in non desert climate, but in an extreme heat and dry climate, a battery dies about every 2-3 years. Same for tires that wear out and crack prematurely in the combination of heat and lack of moisture.

I merely shared my experience and knowledge like a typical Boglehead does with investment knowledge. There is no need to call me names because you don’t agree with me.

MJS

Post by MJS » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:37 am

HueyLD wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:17 pm
It's also well documented that Gila Monsters Meet You at the Airport.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:45 am

HueyLD wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:19 am
SunnyD,

And the breakdown rates of stuff again is based on comparative experience. For example, a five year car battery may last five years in non desert climate, but in an extreme heat and dry climate, a battery dies about every 2-3 years. Same for tires that wear out and crack prematurely in the combination of heat and lack of moisture.

Hmm.....I'm in Green Valley and have a 2015 Toyota 4Runner that I bought new over at Sierra Toyota in Sierra Vista----and that still has its original tires and battery-----and both are fine. If you are able to put a vehicle in a garage and keep it out of the direct sun, it really helps in terms of longevity. :wink:
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

Cactuscoug

Post by Cactuscoug » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:38 am

Zip: 85739

Catalina / Saddlebrooke. We are at about 3500 feet. When it is 115 in Phoenix, and 108 in Tucson, it is only around 103 here. And, "Dry."

Saddlebrooke is an Adult Community of 5000 homes, with community swimming pools, golf, tennis, 200+ clubs, etc.

In 14 years here, I have seen three rattlesnakes - - none at my front door. But, I do keep a watchful eye.

Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:25 am

cactuscoug- I like the community living style.

Not too many homier the the Saddlebrooke community but it did do some more search for the community homes.

Anyone familiar with Marana, Vail, Oroco, Green Valley, and Oro Valley for adult community?

Which would be a better location and weather wise?

I may consider an active lifestyle adult community living.

jmk

Post by jmk » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:37 am

adamthesmythe wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:26 pm
In AZ altitude is climate. Hot to cooler: Yuma, Phoenix, Tucson, Cottonwood, Sedona, Prescott, Flagstaff.
Add in,
Bisbee, Oracle.... to the list toward the lower end.

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:07 pm

These are not facts . I have lived in metro Phoenix and Scottsdale for fifty years a half century , and have never seen one rattlesnake . I hike daily . NEVER.

Now granted , some areas near the edge of the desert may be more prone to snakes or scorpions but whose issue is that by building in the desert ? I would say 99 percent plus of the area in the urban corridor is snake free . Far more likely to see a scorpion and even those tend to cluster in areas not all over .

Phoenix is the nations fifth largest metro area . It is a great place and if you don’t like heat don’t move here . But to portray the city as snake infested is irresponsible. I see maybe one or two snake news stories a year and those out on trails outside city .

If you live in a snake infested subdivision sorry to hear but I’ve sure never heard about this in fifty years . I’m not name calling but it is not a large issue here .

Now growing traffic from snowbirds and people driving 10 miles an hour in retirement communities is a major issue .:)

HueyLD wrote:
SunnyD,

What I said was based on nothing but facts. You should not use the word reckless when someone posted a true situation you haven’t experienced yourself.

I have first person experience in all of the above, ditto many of my neighbors posted on our not so small metro area’s Nextdoor website. A very lucrative business here is to catch rattle snakes from people’s yards at $75 per trip. I initially thought people were joking when they said to be careful and looked down when one stepped out of the front door threshold. But having not one, but two buddies rattling at me when I opened the front door was a very traumatic experience. Of course that doesn’t happen every day, but that does happen to many of us more regularly than we like.

I merely shared my experience and knowledge like a typical Boglehead does with investment knowledge. There is no need to call me names because you don’t agree with me.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:22 pm

HueyLD wrote:
SunnyD,

Tires and batteries, yes. But that is a lot different than your blanket statement, "Your possessions will break down a lot faster than you are accustomed to. They include houses, appliances, cars, furniture, etc."

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:44 pm

Sedona; zip: 86336.
Pro: beautiful, cooler than phx, cheaper than west Sedona, weather is perfect. Scenery is astounding.
Con: traffic on weekend is horrid, medical care? Drive to Mayo in Scottsdale; shopping? Go to Prescott/Scottsdale, some houses on septic.

Scottsdale: zip 85262
Pro: away from main part of town, medical care, entertainment, shopping, culture and arts, low prop taxes (0.5%).
Con: utilities in summer, heat in summer, snowbirds in winter, real estate market acts like a pogo stick every 5-10 years.
Snakes: since 1998 I have seen 4...2 on the golf course, one in a long empty house, one on my front porch in late September around 10 pm. Lik d the warm concrete of the south facing porch.
You learnto shake out your shoes though...scorpions.

Payson zip 85541.
Pro: ask your realtor, I am biased against it; it's cheap--but not THAT cheap. Cool, clean air--until there is a fire.
Cons: it's f$&@$g Payson; unless you like to Jeep or play golf at the same course every day I don't know what to do; also most houses are built into the side of a hill and are at least 2 stories. Medical? hah! Shopping? You better like Wallyworld.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:21 pm

Well, I replied based on my own experience of comparisons of different places I have lived in. I never intended to be anything but trying to be helpful to the OP.

As I already explained up thread, many people in my urban neighborhoods have problems with snakes and stuff breaking down earlier than expected. I certainly didn’t know anything about all these issues until after living here for a while. The vast majority of residents in my master planned subdivision moved from elsewhere and many of them share the same surprise at unexpected things such as those mentioned earlier.

It is not a deal breaker because there are people to handle snake and other wild life removals, and houses and cars can be fixed as needed. It is good to be prepared than to be surprised. In addition, there are classes provided by universities and botanical gardens taught by experts that can teach transplants how to handle issues unique to this hot and dry environment.

No place is perfect, including Arizona. Even within AZ, there can be a wide variation in weather, culture, people, etc. Let’s just do what we Americans should do: agree to disagree.

Best wishes to OP’s search for his dream retirement home. I hope you find yours soon.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:37 pm

sil2017 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:25 am
cactuscoug- I like the community living style.

Not too many homier the the Saddlebrooke community but it did do some more search for the community homes.

Anyone familiar with Marana, Vail, Oroco, Green Valley, and Oro Valley for adult community?

Which would be a better location and weather wise?

I may consider an active lifestyle adult community living.
Suggestions:

Talk to a real estate buyer’s agent and arrange for a visit with the help of a real estate agent.

Do so in June or July so that you can experience what it is like here in the summer if you plan to visit PHX or TUS areas. Places can feel very different when you are actually there vs. looking at all the marketing stuff online.

Google active adult communities (AAC) for the area you want to visit and review the main characteristics of each community. Older AACs tend to have older residents than newer ones. And if you want to retire early, you may prefer to live among people closer to your age.

And don’t limit yourself to just AACs because it is not so bad to have children around the neighborhood.

Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:36 pm

I will be meeting with a realtor next month.

Initially wanted to look at Scottsdale only. Now thinking of Prescott as well

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:00 pm

I know that you said you thought that Nevada was too hot, but consider the Reno-Lake Tahoe area. The elevation makes for a much more pleasant climate than the Las Vegas area.

No income tax in Nevada.

Ralph

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:50 pm

sil2017 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:36 pm
I will be meeting with a realtor next month.

Initially wanted to look at Scottsdale only. Now thinking of Prescott as well
Good idea.
And, do go at different times of the year. Winter and Summer.

You can cover from Scottsdale, Cave Creek, Prescott, and Sedona easily in a short day as long as the realtor knows your time constraints and doesn't spend too much time in one place trying to "sell" or socialize.
I-17 runs North/South and from 75-85 + mph in the left lane!

DW and I once covered over 100 listings from Flagstaff to Scottsdale and the surrounding region in about a week. We only need a printout of the listings, addresses, etc, and drove ourselves around. What we didn't like, even just by entering an area, got thrown on the floor. Maybe's went to a box on the back seat. Kinda Maybe's went into another box. We did this in the summer, winter, spring, and fall, before finally deciding on Prescott. We had also lived there many many decades ago for a short time and so were familiar with it.

We lst started by going cross country to see what states we might retire to. Then narrowed that down by region, then states, etc. It took many years but was worth being patient.

A lot depends on what your needs and requirements are and on how much you want or have to spend.

For example: Phoenix areas can reach near 120 in the summer. Ouch! But, if you are also and indoors person then with A/C you won't mind. And, everything cools off once the sun lowers in the sky through most of the summer.
But, if you are an outdoors person, then summers in the higher elevations might be better.

Prescott is a "tri city" area consisting of Prescott (town area), Prescott Valley (only a few miles east), and Chino Valley (few miles north). Each has a different character. You can drive through the area in under 2 hours and get an idea.

Avoid Scottsdale, I-17/101, etc, at rush hours. You will get chewed up and take forever. 101 has miles of construction right now.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:05 pm

rich126 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:14 pm
. . .
I would suggest renting for a while to see if you like it. I enjoy the touristy part since there are tons of restaurants and people watching and lots of sports events. Some people are put off by the attitude of some residents due to having money and thinking they are special.

. . . . . I don’t care for the money makes someone better than others attitude. Also if diversity is important to you this may not be a good spot. I look around and see mostly 50+ white people. I think I saw 85% white, 6% asians. Other parts of town are heavily Hispanic.
. . . .
+1
Both Prescott and Scottsdale have changed greatly over the past 35 years. Prescott used to be a small sleepy mountain town, sort of like Mayberry or Pleasantville. Now, it's growing like crazy, money's pouring in, and the demographics and dynamics are changing. It is a bit higher priced and similar to Sedona with a both having a "Scottsdale" feel. Surrounding Prescott Valley and Chino Valley are also evolving rapidly.

That striation of economy and class demographics, etc, is also evident in the Scottsdale region. Perhaps this is common to any area that has experienced rapid growth, large influxes of money and development, etc.

Sub-communities and private developments, gated or not, isolate residents from all this, giving each a choice of what and who they want to surround themselves with and so forth, to be happy.

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:54 pm

. Be ready for a rattle snake greeting you near your front door, in your yards,
Hilarious. I've lived in Tempe for 48 years and no one I know has ever found one in their yard. If you live at the edge of town, bordering desert, then it can happen. In town, in a typical suburban area, never. I'm a biologist and have dealt with many snakes, in natural desert areas. Never in town. Now, scorpions are another matter.

I agree with most of the others. If Nevada is too hot for you, then you'd hate the lower elevations of Arizona. Yes, I consider a 90 F day pleasantly warm, but that's not summer here. Summer is commonly 108-115 F. Even after working outdoors here for years, that is BAD.

Prescott, at mid-elevation for Arizona, has a pleasant climate. Growing fast, though. I like Flagstaff: lovely summer and cold, snowy and (usually) sunny winter.

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:02 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:50 pm

Prescott is a "tri city" area consisting of Prescott (town area), Prescott Valley (only a few miles east), and Chino Valley (few miles north). Each has a different character. You can drive through the area in under 2 hours and get an idea.

Sandtrap, curious because at one time we had considered the Prescott area, then some life changes intervened. Now maybe thinking about it again.

How would you describe the three separate areas (Prescott, Prescott Valley and Chino Valley)? Presumably Prescott would be more expensive than the others.

What are other key differences, in your opinion?
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:11 pm

I would just stay in Orange County. You’re not going to find a place in AZ with weather that’s anywhere close to what you want. Or anywhere else, for that matter.

People arguing about rattlesnakes...Southern California has plenty of rattlesnakes of its own. It’s doubtful that’s a discriminator for the OP.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:46 pm

zengolf2011 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:13 pm
and lows in Scottsdale reach over 100 degrees

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:01 pm

You might want to check out a place such as SaddleBrook Ranch which is near Oracle 28 minutes north of the Tucson WholeFoods. A couple we know who live outside of Portland bought a place there. It is unbelievably beautiful. The facilities are first class. The price is very reasonable. It has its own golf course, own outdoor and indoor pools, own weight room, and own brewery!!
https://www.robson.com/communities/sadd ... /overview/

There are also a few other AZ locations.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:05 pm

One Ping wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:02 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:50 pm

Sandtrap, curious because at one time we had considered the Prescott area, then some life changes intervened. Now maybe thinking about it again.

How would you describe the three separate areas (Prescott, Prescott Valley and Chino Valley)? Presumably Prescott would be more expensive than the others.

What are other key differences, in your opinion?
Prescott:
Expensive, pockets of older run down dwellings but not pervasive.
Touristy a little but not much in the Courthouse Square downtown area.
Pockets of expensive developments mixed with older homes.
Vintage historic residential areas$$$.
High end gated and non gated communities North toward Williamson Valley (1 road down the center then ends.)
(This is where you will see 1960's corvette stingrays, land rovers, and porches on the road driven by well heeled seniors.)
Major stores, large medical hospital, medical centers, etc. But, not too congested.
Prescott town area has limited land surrounded by mountains and forests so growth is self limiting. (great)
One can live on this end of things and never venture nor see Prescott Valley or Chino valley much.
Large acre parcels up to 20-50 acres are still available but are extremely expensive.
Dotted communities with high end homes.

Prescott Valley: East of Prescott town.
Area of enormous growth, business developments, shopping strips, etc. There is land for this. New roads everywhere trying to keep up with the traffic and congestion. New residential communities everywhere.
Not as "featured" as it is flatland and a bit outside of the Prescott town and mountains.
Only minutes away from Prescott Town yet one can live there and never venture into Prescott Town area.
Housing is affordable but rising rapidly.
No high end home areas except "The Ranch" which is on the P/PV corridor.

There are senior communities in Prescott Valley and Prescott that are cozy and tasteful. Prescott Country Club area as you enter Prescott Valley is nice.

Chino Valley: Northeast of Prescott Town and Prescott Valley
The Chino Valley to Prescott to Prescott Valley Corridor now has a modern interstate size highway between then.
So, growth is rapid, prices are rising though still lower than PV and P.
Chino Valley is still country and small town USA with cattle feed stores and so forth. But, it is changing.
Beyond Chino Valley is Paulden, sort of merging, where home prices are very low, standard of living might be a bit lower. More trailer homes than Chino. Farther up the road to the North is HWY I-40 which runs E/W.
No high end home areas here.

What made a huge difference for DW and I in choosing to retire here was that all the major stores are here. 2 Home Depots, Lowes, Walmarts, and on and on. Whereas Sedona had nothing, and other small towns like Camp Verde and Cottonwood, also did not have much. Also, the major hospital center (huge) and medical centers are in Prescott.
Also, property value per what you get was higher in Prescott. IE: Sedona had expensive overpriced homes that were smaller and lot sizes were tiny as well.

For us, Hawaii's UHCOL and stratospheric home prices (for a plywood house) became illogical. So moving was easy in that regard.

Last big factor: Prescott is about 2 hours away from Phoenix/Scottsdale. Relatively quick on I-17 with a 75 mph speed limit and average speeds of 75-85+++ !!! (many folks actually commute to work this way)

Hope this helps.
j

rich126

Post by rich126 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:47 pm

Interesting perspectives.

Sedona is very artsy and, being polite, kind of holistic. Not sure if things have changed but restaurants closed down early.

Rattlesnakes I’ve never seen but had a coworker find them into his Fountain Hills house east of Scottsdale. And today a 77 yr old hiker in Scottsdale was bitten by one and is in stable condition in a local hospital.

Scorpions are hit or miss depending on your location. I’ve never seen one but I know others have to look for them in their house. Unlike in the movies scorpion bites are rarely deadly but more like a bee sting. Spiders are the more dangerous critter and you’d be best wearing gloves while gardening.

There seems to be all this building up of areas I’ve lived here and back east but the population growth for the US is pretty low which seems a contradiction.

Real estate prices will be interesting to watch depending on the stock market and the length of the virus scare. The economy is heavy on tourism and a downfall will IMO cause a drop in prices and once they drop it will cascade because flippers will get scared and dump properties because they are often highly leveraged. A lot of speculators from CA will also run.

Although a few months are brutal in the summer the weather is very addictive. 80s lately, incredible evenings.

Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:05 pm

Sandtrap-

Thanks for the detailed write up of the areas.

Quantandhold- Gosh, I really do plan to relocate but Im not sure if I will miss the beach. Ive lived in this small town community for over 20 years.

I booked a stay at a Scottsdale resort for Mid April for 3 days. I plan to get together with a realtor for one day.

Will see what happens.

Thanks all for your recommendations. I am leaning towards an adult community with the pool, and fitness center.