Coronavirus: Why Are People Buying Water?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JonnyDVM

Re: Coronavirus: Why Are People Buying Water?

Post by JonnyDVM » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:49 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:44 pm
beehivehave wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:28 pm
Starfish wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:25 pm
JonnyDVM wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:16 pm
Starfish wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:10 pm

And what is the chance the region you are in will run out of water because of a glorified flu? Zero.
Worst case, there is a river in the forest couple of miles behind my house. I am pretty sure I can drink from it.

I think I have a handle on it. Hypothetically, let’s say 70% of the utility workers are sick. A bad storm rips through. It is springtime so not out of the question right? In theory it’s going to take a lot longer than usual to get the utilities back up and running again. Not everyone is as enthused about drinking toilet tank water or dirty creek water as some members of this forum.
If storing water is your thing, go for it, but don't forget the guns and ammunition to defend it! But that plywood wall are not good enough, are they? You might need a bunker.
Don't forget the land mines and the moat with alligators. That virus doesn't stand a chance.
That stockpiled water is in case you need to refill the moat!

RM
Kirkland brand water is way more caustic than deer park, and it’s half the price. Perfect choice for the discerning Boglehead.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:59 pm

Luke Duke wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:57 am
Kenkat wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:51 am
Sarcasm setting is at 90% Cooper.

Because we must do something to face this coming apocalypse. Whether it actually makes sense is irrelevant. We must act and act now.

The local Sam’s was out of Charmin this morning. We are a red bear family. The thought of using another brand has shaken us to the core of our being.

I am done now. :wink:
Yet another reason to get a bidet.
Doesn’t some form of drying still need to occur?

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:07 pm

beehivehave wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:28 pm
Don't forget the land mines and the moat with alligators. That virus doesn't stand a chance.
Come on. Moats with alligators. It's snakes and alligators. Everyone knows that.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:12 pm

psteinx wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:24 pm
I bought water.

I think I am mostly rational, at least about this particular issue.
I just did a completely irrational thing.

But I am mostly rational, at least about this particular issue.

Heres why:...

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:17 pm

LawProf wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:59 pm
Alternative question: why not buy water?
Because:
1) it's hard to buy in an environmentally friendly way.
2) it's cheaper coming out of the filtered tap in my house.

MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:40 pm

Bunch of pikers. I established a reserve supply of 15,000 gallons of water, just in case. I keep it all in the backyard.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:52 pm

hirlaw wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:33 am
Why are people buying water in preparation for a Coronavirus quarantine?
Probably to exchange it with masks.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:54 pm

Note to self: go buy a few gallons of water after work... :beer

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:59 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:35 pm

Why do I want/need to bet on the river water just to save a few dollars on water? It is your choice to save a few dollars on drinking water. That does not look very rational to me.
Well, that is the point, I don't have to because the chance to get there is close enough to zero. It's just for peace of mind, I will not of thirst regardless.

Also, it is not only a couple of dollars for me.
I will have to drive to the store, spend 1 hour there because of the panic, carry gallons of water around, occupying space in a small house, there is all the packaging waste etc.
If you buy water normally (it's weird but I understand people do) it's not a big deal, but if you don't it's an added hassle. It's more important for me to stay out of overcrowded stores (because of wasted time, not the virus, but wouldn't be ironic to get it while preparing for apocalypse?) than to take a useless precaution.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:10 pm

Starfish wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:59 pm
Also, it is not only a couple of dollars for me.
I will have to drive to the store, spend 1 hour there because of the panic, carry gallons of water around, occupying space in a small house, there is all the packaging waste etc.
If you buy water normally (it's weird but I understand people do) it's not a big deal, but if you don't it's an added hassle. It's more important for me to stay out of overcrowded stores (because of wasted time, not the virus, but wouldn't be ironic to get it while preparing for apocalypse?) than to take a useless precaution.
You (or your spouse) don't go to a grocery store or Wal-Mart/Target type store anyways?

Yeah, if it's a special trip, that's higher (effective) cost. But in most households, someone is going to the store once a week or so anyways. FWIW, the ~$4 bunch of bottled water I got was on display near the cash registers at the big-box hardware store I was at for a different reason. Was convenient for me to buy them, but I think my wife would have picked some up at the grocery store the next day (regular trip) had I not seen them at the HW store...

Carson

Post by Carson » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:36 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:59 pm

Doesn’t some form of drying still need to occur?
Ours has a built-in drier. We got it at Costco, naturally...
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:06 pm

I removed an off-topic post. This thread has run its course and is locked (discussion no longer productive). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Water purchases should be discussed here: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

(This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (water).)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.