Need a cheaper cell phone plan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NDAMERICA

Need a cheaper cell phone plan

Post by NDAMERICA » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:47 pm

I find cell phones one of the more complicated categories to purchase - just gets confusing fast with plans and phone and varying start dates and now a merger between Sprint and T-mobile coming.

Anyway, I have 6 iphones of various types and ages on a Sprint plan and it's close to $325/month. Personally my Iphone 6 is 4.5 years old and it may be time to get another one, which I dread.

Open to any and all suggestions here.

Thank you.

Foredeck

Re: Need a cheaper cell phone plan

Post by Foredeck » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:53 pm

I switched from Sprint to Republic Wireless.

I've had a very good experience with them. My plan is 2 GB of mobile data per month and I pay $30.

https://republicwireless.com/

There are of course other discount cell phone companies. This just happened to work for me.

Good Luck

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:58 pm

Mint Mobile. I pay $15/month, including 3GB of data.

I believe your phone must be unlocked. If you are going to buy a new phone anyway, that isn't a problem.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:59 pm

I’m thinking about switching to this: https://www.att.com/buy/wireless/prepaid/select-plans

I hear Verizon has a similar plan.

The gist, bring your own phone, 8GB of data, $25/month, prepay the year in advance. So $300 per phone, per year. That would a big savings for us.....

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:59 pm

sailaway wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:58 pm

I believe your phone must be unlocked. If you are going to buy a new phone anyway, that isn't a problem.
I might look into this one as well. Any issues with coverage?

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:05 pm

The T-mobile plans for "over 55" are pretty good deals. I put my parents on the $55 plan for 2 lines.

DW and I are on Xfinity Mobile, $37 for 2 lines and I think we share 3 Gigs of data, which is plenty.

https://clark.com/technology/xfinity-mo ... l-comcast/

You have to be an Xfinity customer (cable TV or internet) to sign up, but it's a good deal. If you are a light data user, you can get it down to $12/month.

FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:10 pm

+ 1 for $12/month xfinity mobile plan for up to 5 lines. Unlimited talk + text. $12/gig for data shared across all users.

If $12/month is too spendy, I've had basically free phones for 15 years or so: https://www.frugalprofessor.com/phones/.
I blog. Taxes are the lowest hanging source of alpha. I eat tax alpha for breakfast.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:26 pm

Republic is very affordable but I find you get what you pay for. There are hiccups with slow or never sent texts along with funky echoing and dropped calls. That being said, it is fine for my needs. Most of the time it's good. I don't conduct business with the phone. I've also heard a lot of good things lately about red pocket.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:28 pm

FrugalProfessor wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:10 pm
+ 1 for $12/month xfinity mobile plan for up to 5 lines. Unlimited talk + text. $12/gig for data shared across all users.

If $12/month is too spendy, I've had basically free phones for 15 years or so: https://www.frugalprofessor.com/phones/.
Thanks for the link. You've laid out Google voice in a way that is simple to understand.

Edit: Wow just learned you can download Google maps offline version from your blog as well. Thanks! I'll be reading more of your stuff.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:47 pm

Between my wife, myself and daughter, we have 3 and for a total of $9.01 per month.

Wife - RedPocket 3.01 per month for 500mb of data
Me - Tello 6.00 per month for 1gb of data
Daughter - FreeUp, free for 100mb of data and 100 text or minutes.

Obviously, this won't work for heavy users, but we are on Wi-Fi most of the time.

mk1039

Post by mk1039 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:48 pm

redpocket has very good and cheap plans. i believe you can make changes to plan based on need.

i just use its 1gb domestic data plan for $10 per month on one sim of my dual sim cell. explore it

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:31 pm

Normchad wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:59 pm
sailaway wrote:

I like it well enough that my husband just purchased an unlocked phone so that he can cut his monthly bill in half.

Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:35 pm

I'm with Cricket Wireless, which is on the AT&T network. I have a grandfathered plan with 5 lines for $100.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:15 pm

It seems that you could get a better response if you clarified your needs. How much data do you need on how many of the phones? Are the particular networks that work well or poorly where the phones are used? Are all phones in same part of country? What about travel? Do any other phones need replaced? If you want to keep some phones - do you know what network they will work on? How much of the $325 a month is service and how much is device payment plan charges?

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:19 pm

We switched to Verizon's prepaid plan last year and saved 38% on our monthly bill. Zero complaints.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

mtmingus

Post by mtmingus » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:32 pm

VZ Unlimited $40/line 4G (or $50/line 5G) if 4 or more lines and autopay with bank account (not CC).

dru808

Post by dru808 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:47 pm

Verizon prepaid. We tried t mobile from sprint and the service was so bad I went from sprint to t mobile to Verizon in one day. Verizon has the best service in my area and is cheaper than I expected for unlimited 3 lines.
60% US equity | 25% International equity | 15% US Treasury bonds

songman52

Post by songman52 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:59 pm

I was with VZ for many years. I swtched to Twigby almost a year ago, then switched my spouse to Twigby a few months ago. It uses Sprint and Verizon and so far I've been pleased. I haven't noticed any difference except the reduction to about $34/month total bill. :happy
Edited to add: That includes lots of Facetime with family members, calls, and many texts. I also use Waze when traveling and it works fine.

StoopieHippo

Post by StoopieHippo » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:36 pm

We have GoogleFi, which is a $35 base price for 2 people with unlimited talk and text and a $10/gig of data usage (we are high data users). They also have an unlimited plan (everything unlimited) for $60/person.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:03 am

Normchad wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:59 pm
sailaway wrote:

I have Mint as well. There are occasionally dead areas when we are on road trips. Works fine for day to day needs. I am a happy customer. I couldnt care less whether I get 3G or 10G as long as coverage is good enough.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:12 am

NDAMERICA wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:47 pm
I find cell phones one of the more complicated categories to purchase - just gets confusing fast with plans and phone and varying start dates and now a merger between Sprint and T-mobile coming.

Anyway, I have 6 iphones of various types and ages on a Sprint plan and it's close to $325/month. Personally my Iphone 6 is 4.5 years old and it may be time to get another one, which I dread.

Thank you.
This is one of those posts like the ones where we discuss an allocation for a $2M retirement account for week and then the OP comes back and says "oh incidentally I have a six-figure cola'd pension - does that matter?" You really need to describe things like the geographic requirements, data volume, international data and voice, tethering, etc.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:19 am

If you are a medium to high-volume data user and T-Mobile's network works for you, go with Mint, which has 3GB, 8GB, and 12GB plans that are pretty much unbeatable on price if you pay for a year in advance.

Otherwise, Red Pocket is a good choice, you can choose any of the 4 major networks. Paying for a year gets you the cheapest rates. Best way to buy is from their eBay storefront: http://www.ebaystores.com/Red-Pocket-Store. The best value is probably a $240/yr plan that gets you 5GB/mo on any of the networks except T-Mobile: https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Mo-Red-Pock ... 3058350672
Last edited by 02nz on Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:27 am

In late January I switched to Red Pocket with the $5/30 days plan available on eBay. It's working well for me. It allows 100 MB of data, 100 minutes, and 100 texts, and top-ups for each are in the $2-$5 range. Red Pocket has other plans available direct that allow for more of each type of use for more money each money; they are still relatively inexpensive.

I made the move for a few reasons
* Our cellular bill (two phones and an iPad) had crept up to $232/mo for unlimited everything. I was OK under $200 but this last bit really bothered me.
* My work roles changed; I used to have many phones on this wireless account when I ran my business but now that I am employed in a regular job, I no longer have a need to carry 6-10 phones on an account.
* My employer won't reimburse for both a cell phone and a land line and I would prefer to have a land line for business calls, and I decided I was not willing to pay a hundred bucks a month for a phone that I use purely for convenience.
* I work at home so am in range of wi-fi and land line 90%+ of the time, and our business generally runs on Zoom, Skype, and Google Hangouts video calls.
* My employer also provides a softphone VoIP capability with a direct dial number in our Boston office I can use as well without limitation.
* My wife has an employer-provided cell phone billed directly to her employer so her personal phone is purely a convenience item as well, so we simply dropped her phone completely.

So in short we had access to a number of different telephone/service options that others were already paying for and it seemed ridiculous to leak that kind of money paying for things we generally already had.

I moved my iPad to US Mobile and pay $2 for 100 MB/data + $2 service fee + 98 cents of tax = $4.98/mo to keep my iPad online in areas where I don't have wifi. These areas are precious few anymore.

I'm sure with some finagling with Google Voice and more we could reduce the $5/mo further, but honestly that strikes me as letting better be the enemy of good; $5 a month for my phone + $4.98 for my iPad = under $10 month is simply noise in our budget, much like toilet paper expense at Costco. Further optimization has a very limited upside for us. For instance, I otherwise love Frugal Professor's setup but I am willing to pay four dollars every month not to sow confusion about my prepaid number vs my Google Voice number with folks like my parents.

This will either sound just fine to you with maybe a few tweaks necessary or ridiculously limiting.
Last edited by 8foot7 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:28 am

The answer is always Cricket

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:40 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:28 am
The answer is always Cricket
+1

With 6 lines, you would have to do a 5 line plan and a 1 line plan.

5 x Unlimited plan for $125/month (all taxes, fees included). Slower max data speed, but unlimited data.

5 x Unlimited More (with hotspot) for $160/month with faster unlimited data. This is what we have. 5 iPhones.

Just have 1 line be whatever is needed for data.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

gips

Post by gips » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:04 am

we have cricketwireless, I believe they offer five unlimited lines for $125. we're grandfathered into an old plan, five lines for $100 with 16gb.

MaryO

Post by MaryO » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:42 am

We just switched in Feb from Verizon to Altice. Our plan is 3 lines unlimited everything for $60. Price is good forever. Includes unlimited international. Cancel anytime w/o penalty. Supported my old iPhone 6s. Zero down/zero interest financing on new phones.

The call reception in our house is actually improved. Even though we live 10 miles from Manhattan, we'd sometimes have to walk out on the front porch to talk on the cell phones. Haven't done any remote road trips this month, so haven't tested the coverage. This price is for those who use Optimum cable.

stockrex

Post by stockrex » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:33 am

I have not read all the responses, but I went through this myself,

Red Pocket ATT MVNO
has frequent sales and you can get 15GB plan for 2x a month, gotta buy 1 years worth.

that brings it to $125/month at most.

I have 3 phone,
1 red pocket , 22$/month
2 tmobile - $35/month each I will move these over to Red Pocket soon

gensuki

Post by gensuki » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:44 am

I have an unlocked Motorola G3 phone that I bought in 2015.  I started off with H2O which is an AT&T MVNO on their $10 per quarter pay as you go plan.  5 cents for a minute or text, 10 cents for MB of data.  This is great if you hardly use any data or phone calls. Reception was fine.

When I decided I wanted more data and got tired of turning cellular data off and on, I went with Mint Mobile on the aforementioned 3GB/month for $15.  This is working well so far although it has only been 2 months.  I live in the DC area so coverage is fine.

When I bought my phone, LTE was fairly new and it didn't have all the LTE bands.  This explains why in France last year, using a Europe SIM card, I could only get 3G.  So aside from coverage, does your phone have the LTE bands for the network you are using?  For my next phone purchase, I will definitely be looking at the LTE band support.  I use the gsmarena site to check out specs for phones.

Beach

Post by Beach » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:09 pm

The 8G Prepaid AT&T looks enticing @ $25. I have the 5G Cricket for $35/mo and I always run out of data at the end of the month.

I've tried Mint...it sucked on an older iPhone SE. I read T-Mobile network doesn't perform well on older iphones due to the antenna and broadcast frequency or something. Cricket with AT&T network has worked much better for me.

CMD1

Post by CMD1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:20 pm

Another Cricket customer here - 3 lines for $90. Been years since I've had a big carrier brand. Why pay for it when they all offers off brand prepay plans at much less. For some high data users this could be different.

LSLover

Post by LSLover » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:24 pm

NDAMERICA wrote:
... and now a merger between Sprint and T-mobile coming.
That may actually be your best option... T-Mobile said that if/when they merge with Sprint, the joint company will offer a $15/mo plan with unlimited calls/text and 2GB of data.

If you can wait a few months...

pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:50 pm

Another recommendation for RedPocket (https://www.redpocket.com/)

- They have plans for all four carriers (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and TMobile)
- In addition to the monthly plans outlined at their site, check their red pocket store on EBay (https://www.ebay.com/usr/redpocketstore) for deals on annual plans. I signed up for a plan in November that came out the $15 for 5 gig a month.

RedPocket also has two sister companies to check out:
- Mango Red Pocket (https://mango.goredpocket.com/)
- Black Wireless (https://www.blackwireless.com/)

stockrex

Post by stockrex » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:05 pm

FYI: I found that ATT and Verizon have the best coverage if you need it, I travel a fair bit and go way outside major cities to fish or hike and I NEED the coverage, so opted for ATT MVNO,
Bought my phones at sams club with verizon with new line, then went to a verizon store and paid off the phone next day and disconnected service, asked them to unlock it and they did so, refunded activation charge to.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:11 pm

I've used mint for almost 2 years. I've had 3 family members switch to Mint also. No complaints. The only thing is some of the prepaid plans don't give much if anything for multiple lines. When comparing plans make sure you are comparing the total cost with all taxes and fees. Some plans include these and some don't.

MaxRN

Post by MaxRN » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:23 pm

My wife and I have used Ting (ting.com) for several years. They're cheap, reliable, have great customer service, and great coverage for light users like us.
Don't believe everything you believe.

lakpr

Post by lakpr » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:25 pm

If you have sprint-locked phones already, Tello is the best deal.

I had a Sprint-locked iPhone 6, bought a sim-card from Tello for $10 + tax, then used this combo for $10 per month for 1 GB data per month + unlimited calls and text. Total cost for the first year = $130 + tax. Couldn't find anything cheaper. Never needed to exceed that 1 GB data, just need to tweak some data settings such as email-pull instead of push, limit cellular data for only truly needy applications.

Oh, customer service wise: they do answer the phone almost immediately, so I'd say the customer service is great!
Last edited by lakpr on Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:27 pm

NDAMERICA wrote:

Thank you.
If you’re willing to plunk down the cash, $300 per phone for 1 year on AT&T.

https://www.att.com/prepaid/12-month-offer/

Topic Author
NDAMERICA

Post by NDAMERICA » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:00 am

Thanks for all the great responses. There was so much I didn't know about this.

Let me tell you what I did do in case it is helpful to anyone.

First I bought two new iphones (iphone 8s) to replace the ancient ones my DW and I had. I bought them from the Apple website, mailed to my home and they were 'SIM-Free" so I could activate with any carrier. This was key, I needed to get rid of sprint who was simply taking advantage of my naivete for too long. Then I paid off some of the remaining phones for which I had leased for some reason and I had those phones detached from their sprint plan and made then free-agent eligible also so they could switch to any carrier. That took 2 days by the way. Then I signed all the phones up for Mint Mobile which was very easy to do and involved Mint Mobil sending me SIM cards to install to activate the phones. That process took 10 minutes.

The hardest part of this process by far was separating from sprint. I had to call to get some secret account number from Sprint that I could not get from the website that would allow me to activate another service on my phones with another carrier. Their chat service was an absolute death spiral of no activity- truly horrific. It actually took up much of my day. Luckily, in quarantine, I had the time.

Moral of the story:
1. Buy all phones up front and SIM-free
2. Shop around on price/service (Mint is working great for me)

Thanks Bogleheads

LSLover

Post by LSLover » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:15 am

Starting this week AT&T and T-Mobile are offering a new 2GB plan for $15/mo (unlimited text and talk):

https://www.att.com/buy/wireless/prepaid/plans

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/plan-detai ... le-connect

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:07 am

I am in on Mint.
$180 a year, 3gb data every month with option to buy more. There may be a plan for overseas data and phone you can add. But I just buy an appropriate SIM card whenever I travel.
We live in the west. Some spots with spotty or no coverage. Don’t know how those spots would compare with the more traditional plans. I think that Mint uses T Mobile network. We did a three week road trip around the west last year and coverage was just fine when driving and accessing data for information.
At any rate, it’s worth a try since you can go month to month if you wanted just to try it out.
I can look up my data usage (on Mint phone app) and set alerts for it, and every month the message me about my new 3gb.
I have no problems with Mint. Then again, I am not familiar with all the other carriers so I cannot give a comparison.
My main focus was price. That $180 has taxes that bring it up to about $204 total.

gensuki

Post by gensuki » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:18 am

I’ve used Mint Mobile for a couple of months now. It is an MVNO of T-Mobile. Works fine for me. I live in a big city and am not a big data consumer. I am on the $15 for 3GB per month plan. I think your experience will vary depending on where you live and what LTE bands your phone supports. Below shows the T-Mobile LTE bands, the bands on my 2015 phone, and the OP’s phone.

I am generally on Band 4 so it works well. If I travel to a place that only has Band 5, 12, 66, or 71, my experience will not be good. The OP has all the bands except 71, which is for some specific rural areas so generally he should be in good shape too.
T-Mobile:
Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850 MHz), Band 12 (700 MHz), Band 66 (Extension of band 4 on 1700/2100 MHz), Band 71 (600 MHz).

Motorola G3:
LTE band 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 17(700)

iPhone 8s:
LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100)
Because of the coronavirus, Mint Mobile is offering unlimited free data until April 14. That is decent of them. I’ve read that MVNOs get lower priority on the network than T-Mobile customers but I’m a low data user (I use ~1GB/month) so haven’t noticed this.

Regarding the T-Mobile Connect plan mentioned above, I read that it is capped, not throttled to a lower speed. Mint Mobile is throttled.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:33 pm

LSLover wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:15 am
Starting this week AT&T and T-Mobile are offering a new 2GB plan for $15/mo (unlimited text and talk):

This. T-mobile seems a better deal, because they are not saying theirs will revert to a different price after 60 days, and ATT is (from what I understand)

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:05 pm

nalor511 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:33 pm
LSLover wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:15 am

This. T-mobile seems a better deal, because they are not saying theirs will revert to a different price after 60 days, and ATT is (from what I understand)
We are very happy with the T-Mobile 55 plus plan. We pay $70 a month for two phones with unlimited everything and a cellular IPad with 2G a month. The 70 includes all taxes and fees and a high quality network and service. Cheaper options out there but I am not sure about better. Hey, as a bonus my wife loves those free T-Mobile Tuesdays giveaways. :D
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

L82GAME

Post by L82GAME » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:09 pm

Are there security issues that one should be aware of when moving from a “big player” carrier to less expensive options? For example, using 2FA apps, texting, etc.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:28 pm

My wife and I use Tracfone on two iPhone SEs. Our cost is about $6.75 each per month.

Monster99

Post by Monster99 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:38 pm

I have a Tracfone Samsung phone and it works fine - about $118 for a year of 1. 25 g of data, 1250 min of talk and 1250 text. 5 bucks for each 1000 text. I think they even now are selling cheap monthly plans....

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:04 am

hoops777 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:05 pm
Hey, as a bonus my wife loves those free T-Mobile Tuesdays giveaways. :D
I like the Tmobile Tuesdays when they first started. Lately it's been hit or miss. MLB premium, youtube premium are nice. But I feel like most weeks it's % off coupons.

But I'll be the first to say something (their gifts) are better than nothing. And for me, the quality & price point are unbeatable.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:44 am

NDAMERICA wrote:

Thank you.

Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:46 am

Cricket (which is ATT) offers $15/month plan for 2 gb of high speed data. After that it slows to 128kb/s but it’s not a hard data cap. Taxes & fees included.