Costco rebate tip

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Doodadooh
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:04 pm

Costco rebate tip

Post by Doodadooh » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:37 pm

Don't just exchange it to pay for your grocery bill and then pocket the change. Cash it at Costco for 100% face value and
then continue to charge your groceries/gas for the rewards.

sailaway
Posts: 1651
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by sailaway » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:39 pm

Around here, it seems that the cashiers are trained to let you in on this. They won't just cash the check without a fight. I think it is so that they only have to worry about running extra cash to the dedicated register, rather than all the registers.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 4454
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am
Location: West coast of Florida, inland on high ground!

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:43 pm

Yeah, sometimes I want to say to people in line to NOT use their rebate checks to pay as they lose their rebate on the purchases. Not well thought out, for sure.


Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

pj1983
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:50 am
Location: NoVA

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by pj1983 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:50 pm

sailaway wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:39 pm
Around here, it seems that the cashiers are trained to let you in on this. They won't just cash the check without a fight. I think it is so that they only have to worry about running extra cash to the dedicated register, rather than all the registers.
Simple fix: Buy a package of paper towels, case of water, etc., and use the check to pay. Giving up 2% on a $5-10 purchase might be worth avoiding the confrontation. :D

I've also just taken the check to the customer service desk and cashed it there with just some minor grumbling...

sailaway
Posts: 1651
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by sailaway » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:52 pm

pj1983 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:50 pm
sailaway wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:39 pm
Around here, it seems that the cashiers are trained to let you in on this. They won't just cash the check without a fight. I think it is so that they only have to worry about running extra cash to the dedicated register, rather than all the registers.
Simple fix: Buy a package of paper towels, case of water, etc., and use the check to pay. Giving up 1% on a $5-10 purchase might be worth avoiding the confrontation. :D

I've also just taken the check to the customer service desk and cashed it there with just some minor grumbling...

You seem to have misunderstood the confrontation: they don't want your check and suggest that you use your card to get the % back and just cash the check.

JediMisty
Posts: 535
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:06 am
Location: Central NJ

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by JediMisty » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:56 pm

Doodadooh wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:37 pm
Don't just exchange it to pay for your grocery bill and then pocket the change. Cash it at Costco for 100% face value and
then continue to charge your groceries/gas for the rewards.
+1. Do this every time, including today. Do we all get our rebate at the same time?

Afty
Posts: 1295
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by Afty » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:56 pm

Good tip. Also you avoid getting a bunch of cash back that you then have to go to the ATM to deposit.

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 4405
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by Stinky » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:13 pm

JediMisty wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:56 pm
Doodadooh wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:37 pm
Don't just exchange it to pay for your grocery bill and then pocket the change. Cash it at Costco for 100% face value and
then continue to charge your groceries/gas for the rewards.
+1. Do this every time, including today. Do we all get our rebate at the same time?
I think that we receive them all in the same month. But not at the same time.

Per Costco, my check is “in the mail”.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 4454
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am
Location: West coast of Florida, inland on high ground!

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:28 pm

Stinky wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:13 pm
JediMisty wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:56 pm
Doodadooh wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:37 pm
Don't just exchange it to pay for your grocery bill and then pocket the change. Cash it at Costco for 100% face value and
then continue to charge your groceries/gas for the rewards.
+1. Do this every time, including today. Do we all get our rebate at the same time?
I think that we receive them all in the same month. But not at the same time.

Per Costco, my check is “in the mail”.
FWIW, I have occasionally found my rebate check in my spam folder. This year it was in my inbox. And, I received other emails reminding me it had been emailed.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Housedoc
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by Housedoc » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:34 pm

I always cash mine at service desk. Never a problem. I agree don't use it to purchase goods.

User avatar
beernutz
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by beernutz » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:01 pm

My executive member rebate check is two to three hundred so I am missing out on $4 to $6?
Last edited by beernutz on Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

yoyo6713
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 8:48 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by yoyo6713 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:07 pm

beernutz wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:01 pm
My executive member rebate check is a two to three hundred so I am missing out on $4 to $6?
Some might have 4 digits rebate check. But even if not, why do you want to throw away $4 to $6? Cost you nothing.

User avatar
anon_investor
Posts: 2210
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by anon_investor » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:12 pm

beernutz wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:01 pm
My executive member rebate check is a two to three hundred so I am missing out on $4 to $6?
That's like 4 hot dogs and 4 sodas! Lunch for the fam!

User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by tooluser » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:13 pm

beernutz wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:01 pm
My executive member rebate check is a two to three hundred so I am missing out on $4 to $6?
Yeah, it's not a big deal, but to some any deal is not worth passing over.

I usually have brought the certificate with me and bought some stuff and then remembered that I didn't use it at the register, so I stop by the member counter on the way out and cash it instead. No issues ever.

I am imagining what I will do with my extra $2.89 this year.

I have been behind someone who bought $30,000 worth of vitamins in one cart. I can see how it might matter to them if they are there doing that on a weekly or daily basis.

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 4405
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by Stinky » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:14 pm

anon_investor wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:12 pm
beernutz wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:01 pm
My executive member rebate check is a two to three hundred so I am missing out on $4 to $6?
That's like 4 hot dogs and 4 sodas! Lunch for the fam!
Or “date night” with your honey.

Twice!
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

bluelight
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by bluelight » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:26 am

We did our monthly Costco shopping yesterday. I loaded the order on the belt, gave the cashier my card and told her to charge it. Before she even started to ring it up, I asked her about cashing my $370 rebate, which I had printed out. She said she could do it and proceeded to cash it out. Then she started ringing my order and charged it to the card as requested.

quantAndHold
Posts: 4676
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:11 am

My rebate was $177. It wasn’t worth the trouble to have to deal with the cash. I just used it to buy toilet paper and trash bags and a rotisserie chicken.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

AlphaLess
Posts: 2620
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by AlphaLess » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:20 am

tooluser wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:13 pm
I have been behind someone who bought $30,000 worth of vitamins in one cart. I can see how it might matter to them if they are there doing that on a weekly or daily basis.
$30K vitamins daily?
What are they feeding? An army?
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.

phxjcc
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by phxjcc » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:28 am

Housedoc wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:34 pm
I always cash mine at service desk. Never a problem. I agree don't use it to purchase goods.
I agree.

What is the mystery?

"Here is my check, I'd like cash please."

Is this difficult?

Pacific
Posts: 1367
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: Lost in the middle of the Pacific

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by Pacific » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:27 am

Yep.

Nothing like cashing in my $1480 rebate last year and receiving it all in 20s (Costco policy??).

Nothing like then driving to Chase Bank to change the 20s into 100s (and have bank staff think I am laundering money).

dukeblue219
Posts: 721
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by dukeblue219 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:02 am

I just started doing this with my Amazon Prime CC. I'd always used the rewards directly on Amazon. It's often $100+ in rewards, but now I just redeem it at Chase.com for a statement credit and buy whatever it was at Amazon on the card for the 5% cash back.

Not a big deal, but as long as I have a spare minute why not? It takes like 3 clicks at Chase.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 2223
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:31 am

I always get cash for it, from "the guy in the red vest." Then I put that cash in the safe :beer

Housedoc
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by Housedoc » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:09 pm

Pacific wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:27 am
Yep.

Nothing like cashing in my $1480 rebate last year and receiving it all in 20s (Costco policy??).

Nothing like then driving to Chase Bank to change the 20s into 100s (and have bank staff think I am laundering money).
I received mine in $100 dollar bills. No policy just staff at your store can't manage cash ordered from the bank.

DSInvestor
Posts: 11278
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:44 pm

yoyo6713 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:07 pm
beernutz wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:01 pm
My executive member rebate check is a two to three hundred so I am missing out on $4 to $6?
Some might have 4 digits rebate check. But even if not, why do you want to throw away $4 to $6? Cost you nothing.
The executive membership gives you 2% back but when pay by rebate check, you're not using your cash back credit card which could give you another 2% (say with costco visa card). That's $8-12. Now when you get your citibank costco rebate, cash that out as well. The citibank costco rebate could be larger than your executive member rebate - you get 2% cash back for costco purchases, 4% on gas everywhere, 3% cash back on dining/travel, 1% everything else.

Costco's cash back allows for immediate cash back once the rebate is released. Some other stores like REI offers a 10% member dividend which is released in March every year. Members with dividends can spend their dividends starting in March but cannot cash them out until JUL 01. I have an REI credit card which offers 5% cash back for REI charges so I don't spend my REI dividend. I admit that it is harder to hold off for 4 months after the dividend is released.
Wiki

ILnative
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:53 am

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by ILnative » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:51 pm

They always convert mine into a paper check that I can then deposit at my bank. Just did it yesterday - my rebate was north of $700 - so it wasn't like I was going to use it to pay for stuff... Better than walking around with a bunch of cash (which is what they used to do). Interesting that other Costco's don't do this.

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 4405
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by Stinky » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:03 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:09 pm
Pacific wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:27 am
Yep.

Nothing like cashing in my $1480 rebate last year and receiving it all in 20s (Costco policy??).

Nothing like then driving to Chase Bank to change the 20s into 100s (and have bank staff think I am laundering money).
I received mine in $100 dollar bills. No policy just staff at your store can't manage cash ordered from the bank.
Same here. $1100 in $100s this morning.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Hogan773
Posts: 575
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 11:14 am

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by Hogan773 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:26 pm

Pacific wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:27 am
Yep.

Nothing like cashing in my $1480 rebate last year and receiving it all in 20s (Costco policy??).

Nothing like then driving to Chase Bank to change the 20s into 100s (and have bank staff think I am laundering money).
Huh?

I always go to the service desk and they issue a check for me and then I deposit that into my bank account

User avatar
tyrion
Posts: 1236
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:33 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by tyrion » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:35 pm

Stinky wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:03 pm
Housedoc wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:09 pm
Pacific wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:27 am
Yep.

Nothing like cashing in my $1480 rebate last year and receiving it all in 20s (Costco policy??).

Nothing like then driving to Chase Bank to change the 20s into 100s (and have bank staff think I am laundering money).
I received mine in $100 dollar bills. No policy just staff at your store can't manage cash ordered from the bank.
Same here. $1100 in $100s this morning.
You guys are lucky. I got $330 in $10s. Yes, 33 ten dollar bills. I was going to complain, but it's nice to have a stack of them around. It's the exact amount my wife needs to take pilates classes.

go140point6
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by go140point6 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:16 pm

This can be said for anything similar, like credit card reward points. Amazon *begs* me to use points to shop at Amazon but that would be stupid given you don't earn 5% back on the purchase when you use points. I just turn it into a statement credit and make my purchases on the card like always. Ditto for any other credit card reward, always a statement credit.

User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by tooluser » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:03 pm

AlphaLess wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:20 am
tooluser wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:13 pm
I have been behind someone who bought $30,000 worth of vitamins in one cart. I can see how it might matter to them if they are there doing that on a weekly or daily basis.
$30K vitamins daily?
What are they feeding? An army?
That was my reaction too! "Well, this ought to be interesting."

I was behind them and they were taking some time to get approved for the purchase, using some sort of business account paperwork (so maybe there was a different rewards plan, I don't know how that works). Even though it was going slowly, I decided to stay in the line so I could see how it all worked out. They finally got the approval and carted their giant stack of One-A-Day multivitamins out the door. It was probably every bottle that was in the store, in both the paperboard display cartons that sit on the shelf, and in large boxes (containing a dozen of those displays) that would normally be on a higher shelf out on the floor.

The cashier said they made that purchase quite often. I'm guessing they somehow were selling them at a mark-up overseas.

User avatar
CABob
Posts: 4889
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:55 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by CABob » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:17 am

Stinky wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:14 pm
anon_investor wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:12 pm


That's like 4 hot dogs and 4 sodas! Lunch for the fam!
Or “date night” with your honey.
Same thing? :mrgreen:
Bob

Pacific
Posts: 1367
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: Lost in the middle of the Pacific

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by Pacific » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:22 am

Hogan773 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:26 pm
Pacific wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:27 am
Yep.

Nothing like cashing in my $1480 rebate last year and receiving it all in 20s (Costco policy??).

Nothing like then driving to Chase Bank to change the 20s into 100s (and have bank staff think I am laundering money).
Huh?

I always go to the service desk and they issue a check for me and then I deposit that into my bank account
This happened two years in a row. At Paradise Valley Costco in Phoenix. They told me it was store policy. Maybe they just wanted to discourage me cashing the checks?

User avatar
beernutz
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by beernutz » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:56 pm

dukeblue219 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:02 am
I just started doing this with my Amazon Prime CC. I'd always used the rewards directly on Amazon. It's often $100+ in rewards, but now I just redeem it at Chase.com for a statement credit and buy whatever it was at Amazon on the card for the 5% cash back.

Not a big deal, but as long as I have a spare minute why not? It takes like 3 clicks at Chase.
Now this idea has value to me as I also have an Amazon CC. Thanks!
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

yoyo6713
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 8:48 pm

Re: Costco rebate tip

Post by yoyo6713 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:29 pm

DSInvestor wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:44 pm
yoyo6713 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:07 pm
beernutz wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:01 pm
My executive member rebate check is a two to three hundred so I am missing out on $4 to $6?
Some might have 4 digits rebate check. But even if not, why do you want to throw away $4 to $6? Cost you nothing.
The executive membership gives you 2% back but when pay by rebate check, you're not using your cash back credit card which could give you another 2% (say with costco visa card). That's $8-12. Now when you get your citibank costco rebate, cash that out as well. The citibank costco rebate could be larger than your executive member rebate - you get 2% cash back for costco purchases, 4% on gas everywhere, 3% cash back on dining/travel, 1% everything else.

Costco's cash back allows for immediate cash back once the rebate is released. Some other stores like REI offers a 10% member dividend which is released in March every year. Members with dividends can spend their dividends starting in March but cannot cash them out until JUL 01. I have an REI credit card which offers 5% cash back for REI charges so I don't spend my REI dividend. I admit that it is harder to hold off for 4 months after the dividend is released.
Don't know what your point is but I always cash out my rebate check at costco.

Post Reply