Yet another mysterious unsolved problem with the Honda CRV [Infotainment Screen]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CULater

Yet another mysterious unsolved problem with the Honda CRV [Infotainment Screen]

Post by CULater » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:38 pm

Have you seen this yet, CRV owners? I have because mine is doing it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etnziEA ... e=youtu.be

Information display randomly starts flashing one and off and beeping like crazy. Can't make it stop without pulling off the road and turning off the engine. Quite distracting and an accident hazard. As usual my local Honda dealer knows nothing, even though there are several postings on the web and numerous YouTube videos.

Also posted on Carcomlaints.com

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/CR- ... shes.shtml

As I've discussed, this vehicle doesn't seem to be ready for prime time.
Last edited by CULater on Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

smitcat

Re: Yet another mysterious unsolved problem with the Honda CRV

Post by smitcat » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:43 pm

Nope - never seen that on any of ours.
I thought you were selling the CRV?

JPH

Post by JPH » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:46 pm

Mine has done it very intermittently since day 1. Maybe once every 90 days. Dealer says they are working on a fix. First they told us they could do noting unless we brought the car in while it was displaying the issue. So my spouse drove about 25 miles across town and showed them. Working on a fix. :annoyed I find that if I touch the brightness control button that I can sometimes set it off. It is very annoying. I assume that restarting the engine reboots the computer and temporarily forestalls the problem.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

rh00p

Post by rh00p » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:08 pm

By any chance was your phone in close enough proximity to the instrument cluster? And was it connected via bluetooth? Stick it in the glove box w/ blutetooth off for a while see what happens. Was any work done where the battery was disconnected? You may also want to disconnect the battery and reboot every module on the car. And of course check for any Honda TSBs or campaigns.

From super high fuel pressure systems to CVTs to technology all in an effort to squeeze out every drop of economy, safety and convenience you'll find that many car manufacturers are not necessarily as reliable as they used to be.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:49 pm

rh00p wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:08 pm
By any chance was your phone in close enough proximity to the instrument cluster? And was it connected via bluetooth? Stick it in the glove box w/ blutetooth off for a while see what happens. Was any work done where the battery was disconnected? You may also want to disconnect the battery and reboot every module on the car. And of course check for any Honda TSBs or campaigns.

From super high fuel pressure systems to CVTs to technology all in an effort to squeeze out every drop of economy, safety and convenience you'll find that many car manufacturers are not necessarily as reliable as they used to be.
It only does it intermittently, maybe every 3 weeks on average, so it would be difficult to test this condition since I'd have to forego a bluetooth connection with my smartphone for long periods of time and don't want to have that inconvenience. Far as I know, Honda has not addressed this problem. There is a related problem with the display screen going black that I think has a class-action lawsuit. I may contact the law firm to see if this problem is included. Looks like the display unit in the CRV is junky.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:55 pm

JPH wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:46 pm
Mine has done it very intermittently since day 1. Maybe once every 90 days. Dealer says they are working on a fix. First they told us they could do noting unless we brought the car in while it was displaying the issue. So my spouse drove about 25 miles across town and showed them. Working on a fix. :annoyed I find that if I touch the brightness control button that I can sometimes set it off. It is very annoying. I assume that restarting the engine reboots the computer and temporarily forestalls the problem.
Thanks. I'm glad to hear from someone else with the problem. Would appreciate very much if you ever hear anything from Honda on this, but not holding my breath. Yes, it is very annoying and I've been distracted when driving every time it occurs because there's no way to silence it or turn off the flashing screen. Always seems to happen when I'm on the freeway so it's difficult to find a spot to get off and stop the engine. What year is your CRV? Mine is a 2017. The 2018 was largely unchanged and has all the same issues as the 2017.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:28 pm

November 4, 2019 — A Honda CR-V infotainment lawsuit alleges the display screens freeze, go dark, blind drivers by going into full bright mode and cause dangerous distractions to CR-V drivers.

According to the infotainment display screen class action lawsuit, 2017-2019 Honda CR-V, CR-V EX, CR-V EX-L and CR-V Touring SUVs are equipped with the defective screens.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019 ... tion.shtml

dru808

Post by dru808 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Nope, I hope not to, we own a 2016.

Edit: great, this seems to affect 2017 and newer crvs.
60% US equity | 25% International equity | 15% US Treasury bonds

JPH

Post by JPH » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:27 pm

CULater wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:55 pm
JPH wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:46 pm
Thanks. I'm glad to hear from someone else with the problem. Would appreciate very much if you ever hear anything from Honda on this, but not holding my breath. Yes, it is very annoying and I've been distracted when driving every time it occurs because there's no way to silence it or turn off the flashing screen. Always seems to happen when I'm on the freeway so it's difficult to find a spot to get off and stop the engine. What year is your CRV? Mine is a 2017. The 2018 was largely unchanged and has all the same issues as the 2017.
Mine is 2017.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:07 pm

Maybe the infotainment system has a virus

Topic Author
CULater

Re: Yet another mysterious unsolved problem with the Honda CRV [Infotainment Screen]

Post by CULater » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:11 pm

The dealer performed a software update today as per TSB 19-066. The problem identified in this TSB is that the "screen dims or goes dark on it's own." However, that's not what this problem is, which involves the screen flashing on and off, constant beeping, and the screen brightness indicator repeatedly coming on and off on the screen. Google search indicates this software fix is ineffective for this problem, and that's all Honda has. So, we'll see if the problem keeps recurring - typically happens every 2-3 weeks. I'm nearing end of warranty and was told by Honda service that if the display unit needs to be replaced that's a $4,000 price tag which may be next.

rustymutt

Re: Yet another mysterious unsolved problem with the Honda CRV [Infotainment Screen]

Post by rustymutt » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:17 pm

Your car might have caronavirus.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.

ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:37 pm

You have the patience of a saint! I would have traded/sold that piece of junk a year ago. I know you post here to either get info and/or to inform others what they "may" be getting by purchasing a CRV but the reality is that life is too short to put up with a constant annoyance. Sometime the best financial move might not relate to the best "life" move. Take the hit and move on.

Bob

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:01 pm

Some of the rumors are that Honda won't fix the problem because they are blaming it on Mitsubishi or Panasonic or whoever is supplying the display units. If this is the case, they don't stand behind their product and the customer is the worse off for it. I wonder what will happen when the vehicle goes out of warranty. I've got 3,000 miles and 4 months left on my warranty and if the problem recurs (or maybe if it doesn't) I'll be forced to trade it off to avoid a $4K haircut to replace the unit if a fix is ever made available. I thought I was good for 6 years on the extended powertrain warranty for the fuel dilution problem, but I guess not.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:03 pm

rustymutt wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:17 pm
Made me laugh, at least :)
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:44 pm

rustymutt wrote:
CRV. CaRonaVirus

OP: what if the display breaks before you trade it in? Won’t you get less money for your car.

I wouldn’t be waiting for the warranty to run out.

You’ve waited way too long.

Hope you don’t get burned any further.

Assume you won’t be trading into the Honda dealer since they know all the issues with your lemon of a vehicle.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:00 pm

Please sell that car NOW.

NewbieBogle007

Post by NewbieBogle007 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:07 pm

OP - did you try rebooting the infotainment system? You don't have to actually turn the car engine off.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 pm

NewbieBogle007 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:07 pm
OP - did you try rebooting the infotainment system? You don't have to actually turn the car engine off.
Yeh. But it won't even reboot when it starts flaking out and the only thing you can do is shut the engine off. I have rebooted it when it is normal, but when it was flaking out last time it wouldn't work.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:47 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:00 pm
Can't sell the car! CULater relies on his CRV as his prime outlet for social media discussion.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:09 am

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:47 am
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:00 pm
Can't sell the car! CULater relies on his CRV as his prime outlet for social media discussion.
Agreed - I would ask my mechanic friend to look this one up again on his Alldata service but alas the solution to this problem does not reside with this car.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:19 am

Thanks to CULater, we’ll never buy another Honda :!:

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:31 am

RootSki wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:19 am
Neither will I :!:

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:32 am

RootSki wrote:
What are you purchasing instead of the Honda?

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:00 am

smitcat wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:32 am
RootSki wrote:
Purchased a 2019 Volvo XC60 T8 Plug in electric hybrid. Next vehicle will be the all electric Volvo XC40 for my wife (replacing a 2010 Honda CRV) in 2021.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:19 am

RootSki wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:00 am
smitcat wrote:
RootSki wrote:
Purchased a 2019 Volvo XC60 T8 Plug in electric hybrid. Next vehicle will be the all electric Volvo XC40 for my wife (replacing a 2010 Honda CRV) in 2021.
Excellent - certainly not the same category as the Honda.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:14 am

Just finished reading some posts on the issue on the Honda CR-V Owners Club forum. Most recent post was 2 months ago. Apparently the problem is still not fixed. One poster had the ineffective software update that I just got prior to the warranty expiration and the problem persisted after the warranty period expired. Honda would not comp replacement of the display unit even thought the customer argued this was a continuation of a problem being worked on prior to the warranty expiration. Instead they offered "financial assistance" which meant he would have to shell out for the repair. So, I guess I have my answer about what will happen when the warranty runs out and I still have the problem.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/t ... 233/page-7

mbcruiser

Post by mbcruiser » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:25 pm

2017 CRV-EX here...
I had the same problem (random and annoying like previous posts), took it in where the dealer claimed that Honda had a software update (though no specifics except "recall performed" cited on the work order). [less than 2 years into the warranty period & with 19,000 miles].
Now six months later, knock on wood, no recurrences.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:32 pm

mbcruiser wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:25 pm
2017 CRV-EX here...
I had the same problem (random and annoying like previous posts), took it in where the dealer claimed that Honda had a software update (though no specifics except "recall performed" cited on the work order). [less than 2 years into the warranty period & with 19,000 miles].
From your description I found this recall/TSB online. Perhaps this fits what they did to your CRV....
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/ ... 4-0001.pdf

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:00 pm

smitcat wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:32 pm
mbcruiser wrote:
2017 CRV-EX here...
From your description I found this recall/TSB online. Perhaps this fits what they did to your CRV....
That's what they did to mine. The Service Order Number is on the work order. You can see that the problem description is that the display dims or goes dark by itself, but that's not what is happening to mine or many others; I think it's an entirely different problem with this plagued unit. I think that's the only arrow they have in the quiver, so that's what you are going to get.

At an earlier point, there was another TSB (#A19-066) issued on the same problem wherein Honda told dealers "We're getting reports of the Display Audio screen dimming or going dark by itself. We're currently investigating this issue and have traced its probable cause to a capacitive touch panel sensor issue."

So which is it? A software fix or a hardware fix (display unit replacement)?

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:27 pm

CULater wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:00 pm
smitcat wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:32 pm
mbcruiser wrote:
2017 CRV-EX here...
That's what they did to mine. The Service Order Number is on the work order. You can see that the problem description is that the display dims or goes dark by itself, but that's not what is happening to mine or many others; I think it's an entirely different problem with this plagued unit. I think that's the only arrow they have in the quiver, so that's what you are going to get.

At an earlier point, there was another TSB (#A19-066) issued on the same problem wherein Honda told dealers "We're getting reports of the Display Audio screen dimming or going dark by itself. We're currently investigating this issue and have traced its probable cause to a capacitive touch panel sensor issue."

So which is it? A software fix or a hardware fix (display unit replacement)?
"So which is it? A software fix or a hardware fix (display unit replacement)"
I could ask but it would not help.

ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:31 pm

Interesting that you heard that Honda would not fix it because the display was made by an outside company. That really can't be right and would open Honda to lawsuits. All cars are made up of many parts sourced from outside concerns. If they pull that on you ask about the many other parts on the car. For instance on a Mitsubishi the CVT transmissions are made by JATCO which is a Nissan subsidiary. Nissan, within the past 2 years did buy a portion of Mitsubishi but prior to that there was no affiliation. Can you imagine Mitsubishi saying "your on your own with that messed up transmission- we didn't make it"? My sister is having issues with her second Civic. She traded her previous Civic after three years to get the IDENTICAL car hoping for a better outcome....I have never owned a Honda car but have a couple Honda scooters and they are outstanding. The problem IMHO with Honda started when they began manufacturing them in the U.S.

Good luck to you. I know spending 20-30k of hard-earned money only to get problems is not fun...

Bob

newcollegeman

Post by newcollegeman » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:00 pm

My 2018 CRV Touring Elite had the unit go dark 2 nights ago riding down I-81 at 70 mph.

Not safe!

But, hitting the Brightness button a few times brought it back to life, but at full blast bright like noon day sun.

Not safe either!

We’re an all Honda family & seriously considering becoming an all Toyota or all Subaru family....

newcollegeman

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:16 pm

newcollegeman wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:00 pm
My 2018 CRV Touring Elite had the unit go dark 2 nights ago riding down I-81 at 70 mph.

Not safe!

But, hitting the Brightness button a few times brought it back to life, but at full blast bright like noon day sun.

Not safe either!

We’re an all Honda family & seriously considering becoming an all Toyota or all Subaru family....

newcollegeman
That is exactly the problem that others have described and is the subject of a class-action lawsuit. Going to full brightness at night is a dangerous distraction, and you can't turn the frigging thing off:
The lawsuit alleges the infotainment display screen on 2017-2019 Honda CR-V models will freeze, go dark, blind drivers by going into a full bright mode and cause dangerous distractions to drivers. Three plaintiffs represented by Lemberg Law, LLC, have filed the class-action lawsuit against American Honda
https://www.torquenews.com/1084/honda-s ... en-defects

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:35 am

CULater wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:16 pm
newcollegeman wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:00 pm

Not safe!

Not safe either!

newcollegeman
That is exactly the problem that others have described and is the subject of a class-action lawsuit. Going to full brightness at night is a dangerous distraction, and you can't turn the frigging thing off:
The lawsuit alleges the infotainment display screen on 2017-2019 Honda CR-V models will freeze, go dark, blind drivers by going into a full bright mode and cause dangerous distractions to drivers. Three plaintiffs represented by Lemberg Law, LLC, have filed the class-action lawsuit against American Honda
https://www.torquenews.com/1084/honda-s ... en-defects
From Honda Techline Summary regarding the issue:
We're getting reports of the Display Audio screen dimming or going dark by itself. We're currently investigating this issue and have traced its probable cause to a capacitive touch panel sensor issue.
At this time, there's no fix for this, so don't replace the center display unit. Current parts stock may have the same issue.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/ ... 5-0001.pdf

Class Action complaint filed against Honda:

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-conte ... /Honda.pdf

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:13 am

HomerJ wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:03 pm
rustymutt wrote:
Made me laugh, at least :)
Will good, that's was the point. Laughing my way through this whole darn mess with others makes the problem easier to handle.

:sharebeer
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:24 pm

smitcat wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:19 am
RootSki wrote:
smitcat wrote:
RootSki wrote:
And yet it has the same issue: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 28,6456136 . There have been various reports of this happening since the xc90 (first with the sensus info system) came out so I wouldn't expect a quick fix.

These days it is real easy to find anecdotal stories about poor quality weird issues. Here is one for Lexus: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th ... creen.html . It is always tough to put them into context about if we are talking 1 in a 10k faults of 1:10 faults.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:27 pm

randomguy wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:24 pm
smitcat wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:19 am
RootSki wrote:
smitcat wrote:
RootSki wrote:
And yet it has the same issue: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 28,6456136 . There have been various reports of this happening since the xc90 (first with the sensus info system) came out so I wouldn't expect a quick fix.

These days it is real easy to find anecdotal stories about poor quality weird issues. Here is one for Lexus: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th ... creen.html . It is always tough to put them into context about if we are talking 1 in a 10k faults of 1:10 faults.
Agreed 100% - just pointing out that I would not be comparing these two cars in any category.

bas255m

Post by bas255m » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:36 pm

We have both a 2017 CR-V Touring and a 2018 CR-V EX-L. The '17 has exhibited this problem intermittently. I finally found a Honda issued technical service bulletin, 19-066. It was issued in July and then again in December of last year. The December version added in the fact that customer hears beeping while the display screen is going bonkers.

The bulletin provides a detailed software fix/update. I brought in the car about 3 weeks ago to take care of this, while at the same time having them update a different software issue, as per a letter we received from Honda.This is to fix a potential, and false, malfunction signal.
I am pretty certain they didn't address this display problem as the notes from the service adviser may have been confusing.

Just last Friday the problem once again showed up! So I brought in the car just 2 days ago, with a copy of the service bulletin, and implored him to be sure the technician sees the bulletin.

So, we'll see!

Best regards
P.S. The '18 doesn't exhibit the problem.