Selling house- how to make it look appealing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Selling house- how to make it look appealing

Post by Kennedy »

My parents are getting their house ready to sell. I want to help them make it look more appealing to prospective buyers. They will be hiring a real estate agent, but they want to prepare the home as much as possible before bringing her in for final suggestions.

I'm not referencing remodeling, just spiffing it up.

I'm going to take down all the family photos from the wall. What else?
Brianmcg321

Re: Selling house- how to make it look appealing

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Get it as empty as possible except for the furniture. No knick-knacks on counters, magazines, etc.

Clear out all the closets so they all look bigger.

Get it as clean as possible.

When you have an open house or people schedule a walk through, make some chocolate chip cookies and have them on the kitchen counter.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Kennedy wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:45 pm My parents are getting their house ready to sell. I want to help them make it look more appealing to prospective buyers. They will be hiring a real estate agent, but they want to prepare the home as much as possible before bringing her in for final suggestions.

If they've lived in the place for a long time, they probably have a hard time seeing the imperfections. Has the master bath been painted a hideous color? Is there a water stain on the ceiling in the guest bedroom? How about that crack in the wall that they stopped seeing years ago? You could do a walkthrough with your house buyer goggles on.

Oh, and don't be afraid to use a lot of time from your real estate agent for advice. That's one of the things you are paying for, so make sure you get it.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:50 pm Get it as empty as possible except for the furniture. No knick-knacks on counters, magazines, etc.

When you have an open house or people schedule a walk through, make some chocolate chip cookies and have them on the kitchen counter.
This is perfect advise here. Also make sure all the little things are right, no burnt out lightbulbs. Clean the outside of the house around the front door and walk. Trim away overgrown bushes, etc.

If you’re handy and up to it, paint the most important rooms in a modern color. It makes everything look updated and better and the new paint smell has a subliminal effect on people. It’s the most cost effective money you can spend.

Buyers care most about the kitchen and master bath. Empty those out, clean them spotless, make them as clean and neutral as possible.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:50 pm Get it as empty as possible except for the furniture. No knick-knacks on counters, magazines, etc.

Right. Declutter. And then declutter some more!
Make it look almost empty, barely like anyone is living there. (It will look larger and people can better think of a few of their own things there.)

And those chocolate chip cookies?
Have them freshly made, so the baking odor is still just lingering.
(When I was selling a home on my own, I would keep a bag of cheap frozen uncooked cinnamon rolls. And I'd pop 2 or 3 little ones in the oven a few hours before a showing. Not immediately before, so it would be at least somewhat subtle (or not!?).

Similarly, when we had our vacation rental cabins and lodge, we'd have the local supervisor of the cleaning crew take a "roll" of raw chocolate chip cookies, slice it up, and pop the in the over about 2 hours before the arrival time, and the put them out on a platter. So in that case, the baking smell was stronger, and not "subtle", but there was a good reason: the platter of warm cookies :happy
[We got a LOT of positive comments and thanks. Sometimes a little goes a very long way...]

And did I mention DECLUTTER? :wink:

(Rent a small storage unit if there is truly no place else to store the "stuff".)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Anything that would help the potential buyers project their own dreams onto a blank canvas. So the more blank space, the better. I find even mildly dirty or cluttered bathrooms particularly disgusting, so that would be a big turn off for me.
Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

They also have a dog, a big one. I'm wondering how that will work with regard to showing the house.

It wouldn't be practical for the dog to live with someone else (friend) for the time being, so they will need suggestions for how to deal with the dog while the house is for sale.

I'm guessing they will need a couple hours notice from the buyer's agent prior to a showing, and then my folks will have to pack the dog up into the car and take a little drive until the prospective buyer's are gone?

And I can see how it would be a real hassle for them to keep the dog hair vacuumed up every day, or even twice a day. I can't see anyway around that since there is nowhere else for the dog to live.

Any suggestions?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Kennedy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:31 am They also have a dog, a big one. I'm wondering how that will work with regard to showing the house.
Pawn the dog. :happy
hogfanboy

Post by hogfanboy »

Does anybody have any views on a seller getting a home inspection at listing time? having that available to potential buyers seems like it could have an added value. Also it might minimize the negotiations after accepting an offer. They may get their own inspector, but you can have some ground to stand on if your home inspection has some "certifications".
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

How long has it been since they painted?

What appeals to buyers is the fantasy life they could have living in the house. Go through each room, and turn it into that fantasy. Everything should be clean and new looking. Freshly mowed lawn. Fresh paint. Clean carpets. Windows washed. New bed and bath linens. Dining room table set for a candlelight dinner. Breakfast in bed. Furniture placed to show the space to its best advantage, and anything that doesn’t enhance the fantasy boxed up and put in the garage. There are books on home staging. Check at the local library. Also, ask the realtor. They do stuff like this all the time.

Baking cookies or cinnamon rolls or something is what sellers do if the house doesn’t smell very good and they’re trying to cover it up. Savvy buyers are on to that, and will wonder what the problem is. A house that doesn’t smell is a better idea.

Has the dog ever been to doggy daycare? While the house is on the market might be a good time for that. And yes, if they’re living in the house while it is on the market, they will need to clean every morning, with or without dog. When we had our house on the market, we stayed in a nearby AirBNB. It was a hot market, and we were getting multiple showings. We couldn’t have lived there with the pets in between all the showings.
Last edited by quantAndHold on Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

hogfanboy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:50 am Does anybody have any views on a seller getting a home inspection at listing time? having that available to potential buyers seems like it could have an added value. Also it might minimize the negotiations after accepting an offer. They may get their own inspector, but you can have some ground to stand on if your home inspection has some "certifications".
No. Buyers won’t trust your inspection and will get their own inspection anyway, and you don’t want to have to disclose things that the inspection finds that you didn’t know about before. Better to spend the same money on yard work or paint or a cleaning crew.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Kennedy wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:45 pm My parents are getting their house ready to sell. I want to help them make it look more appealing to prospective buyers. They will be hiring a real estate agent, but they want to prepare the home as much as possible before bringing her in for final suggestions.

Declutter, cleaning, yardwork and fresh paint are all necessary and can be done inexpensively.

I would bring in a real estate agent early to get their advice and suggestions. That way, your parents efforts can be focused on the most important things.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Kennedy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:31 am They also have a dog, a big one. I'm wondering how that will work with regard to showing the house.

It wouldn't be practical for the dog to live with someone else (friend) for the time being, so they will need suggestions for how to deal with the dog while the house is for sale.

I'm guessing they will need a couple hours notice from the buyer's agent prior to a showing, and then my folks will have to pack the dog up into the car and take a little drive until the prospective buyer's are gone?

And I can see how it would be a real hassle for them to keep the dog hair vacuumed up every day, or even twice a day. I can't see anyway around that since there is nowhere else for the dog to live.

Any suggestions?
When they leave for a showing, take the dog with them. Some showings only last 30-45 min. They could just walk around the block a few times.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

Since nobody has specifically clearly said it, get the house repainted. Repaint the walls, repaint the ceilings, repaint the outside if appropriate. This is the #1 recommendation. White walls. Do it. You will not regret the investment.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Dude2 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:28 am Since nobody has specifically clearly said it, get the house repainted. Repaint the walls, repaint the ceilings, repaint the outside if appropriate. This is the #1 recommendation. White walls. Do it. You will not regret the investment.
+1 This is the best money you can spend.

If we would all just paint our houses, and clean and declutter them, we wouldn’t want to move.
MaryO

Post by MaryO »

One suggestion I haven't seen mentioned is window treatments. Are they outdated? Heavy fabric or valances? Take them down. Almost nothing makes a home look more tired and dark than out-of-style drapes and curtains. Or old plastic mini blinds. Remove old curtain rods, too. Then spackle the holes. You want fresh paint anyway, so they'd have to come down. But don't have the drapes cleaned. Out to the curb.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Normchad wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:10 pm

This is perfect advise here. Also make sure all the little things are right, no burnt out lightbulbs. Clean the outside of the house around the front door and walk. Trim away overgrown bushes, etc.

If you’re handy and up to it, paint the most important rooms in a modern color. It makes everything look updated and better and the new paint smell has a subliminal effect on people. It’s the most cost effective money you can spend.

Buyers care most about the kitchen and master bath. Empty those out, clean them spotless, make them as clean and neutral as possible.
+1 to all of the above. Just don’t burn the cookies!

Clean, declutter and neutralize — these are the goals.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

As they drive up to the home, many prospective buyers will base their decision during that the first 30 seconds. Be sure the outside is inviting,clean, tidy and free of debris.
Last edited by bob60014 on Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:12 pm
Right. Declutter. And then declutter some more!
Make it look almost empty, barely like anyone is living there. (It will look larger and people can better think of a few of their own things there.)

And those chocolate chip cookies?
Have them freshly made, so the baking odor is still just lingering.
(When I was selling a home on my own, I would keep a bag of cheap frozen uncooked cinnamon rolls. And I'd pop 2 or 3 little ones in the oven a few hours before a showing. Not immediately before, so it would be at least somewhat subtle (or not!?).

Similarly, when we had our vacation rental cabins and lodge, we'd have the local supervisor of the cleaning crew take a "roll" of raw chocolate chip cookies, slice it up, and pop the in the over about 2 hours before the arrival time, and the put them out on a platter. So in that case, the baking smell was stronger, and not "subtle", but there was a good reason: the platter of warm cookies :happy
[We got a LOT of positive comments and thanks. Sometimes a little goes a very long way...]

And did I mention DECLUTTER? :wink:

(Rent a small storage unit if there is truly no place else to store the "stuff".)

RM
Excellent advice!

DW and I sold our house late last year. We did many updates to our home during the past 5 years or so. Because many of the showings are done by other realtors, they didn't accurately relay that information to the prospective buyer. So what we did is put together a small portfolio of all the updates we did along with photos. For example, we put in a new hot water heater a few months early, a complete new roof three years early, new well and pressure tank 2 years early, completely updated the furnace last fall etc, etc, etc. In many cases we just photo shopped pictures of this stuff along with a brief description; it was all in a well organized binder. We left in on the kitchen counter so everyone could view it. We received great compliments on this. It was relatively simple to do...….and it worked great! :sharebeer
MaryO

Post by MaryO »

fishandgolf wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:08 am
DW and I sold our house late last year. We did many updates to our home during the past 5 years or so. Because many of the showings are done by other realtors, they didn't accurately relay that information to the prospective buyer. So what we did is put together a small portfolio of all the updates we did along with photos. For example, we put in a new hot water heater a few months early, a complete new roof three years early, new well and pressure tank 2 years early, completely updated the furnace last fall etc, etc, etc. In many cases we just photo shopped pictures of this stuff along with a brief description; it was all in a well organized binder. We left in on the kitchen counter so everyone could view it. We received great compliments on this. It was relatively simple to do...….and it worked great! :sharebeer
Great idea.

My daughter and SIL will be closing on their house sale in a few weeks. (fingers crossed) They prepared a sheet with pictures of their gardens, with perennials that the new owner would enjoy after seasons changed. Also a summer shot of deciduous trees and bushes in the back yard. Right now the gardens look like bare patches of dirt.

Their realtor hired a very talented photographer. The house is pristine and well decorated, but he picked great angles for his shots and was very fussy about the lighting. It looked amazing and had very high viewing numbers on the realtor websites. Between early private showings and the open house, about 75 couples toured the house. The day the realtor opened it up for offers, 6 came in over asking price.

It's a seller's market here in NJ, but wherever you live, elbow grease & time spent on details and decluttering will pay off. Not just in price, but in shorter time on the market.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Normchad wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:38 am
Dude2 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:28 am Since nobody has specifically clearly said it, get the house repainted. Repaint the walls, repaint the ceilings, repaint the outside if appropriate. This is the #1 recommendation. White walls. Do it. You will not regret the investment.
+1 This is the best money you can spend.

If we would all just paint our houses, and clean and declutter them, we wouldn’t want to move.
When we sold my in-law’s condo, the real estate agent said to paint the walls a neutral color (he had a specific color recommendation which was a cream/off-white), clean carpets that were in good condition and replace carpets that were worn or badly stained with a neutral beige color. He said you would get in excess of 100% of money spent back on these two things.

Their condo was basically empty but the other recommendation if that’s not an option is to declutter and remove highly personal items such as family photos, etc.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Just took a community ed class on this topic.

1. Clean
2. Declutter.
3. Declutter
4. Clean (carpeting too)
5. Look at the curb appeal of the house critically. Trim bushes and any over growth.
6. Make the basement neat - no dd smells
7. Declutter closets too. People look in closets.
Fix anything that is broken
Make sure the counters in kitchen are bare
Any flat surface has the very max of 3 item. Refrigerator nothing on top.

If the city /town has an inspection before house can be sold, get it done.

Open house - all lights work - no burned out bulbs. Turn on lights throughout the house. You want it to look bright and cheery.

When selling, don’t over price.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Of course paint, clean, minimize.

But also- look at lighting and heat. Watch out for CFL bulbs that are dim when switched on. Don't keep the house cold, this is not a time to save on energy.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Re: comments by fishandgolf and MaryO ---

We really liked it when those photos and descriptions of updates or special features were in little paper handouts that the prospective buyers could take home with them. Include things that *are* obvious, too.
These folks are probably looking a many homes (sometimes many many!), so they could easily forget which house had the new boiler and roof, or which had new electrical wiring, or which had the fancy temperature-controlled bath/shower plumbing and heated bathroom floor, etc. Some of those things are not easy to see when IN the home, never mind later when one is "thinking back" about what they've seen...

Also, for our rentals, when those were for sale, the agent hired a professional photographer who specialized in real estate photos. We were stunned at how the angles and lighting made *such* a difference. That would be especially in color photos, and online, they'll look terrific, too.
Our agent paid for those up front, not something we paid for; it was part of the full package of "what they did for their commissions". (That may vary by region?)

Don't rely upon the prospective buyers to go and look online again.
Let them have those paper copies, so if they liked the house and certain features, they can keep that right on their desk, or dining room table, or kitchen counter... wherever they are keeping track of "some possible listings" from their various visits to properties.
Give them chances to "keep looking at your house and thinking about it" later. :happy

And to follow up on a few other comments:
Yes, do have your agent help you from the start, with cleaning and staging. That's part of what they do.
No, do NOT get your own inspection. Presumably you already know most of what works and what might need work. But IF the inspection indicates some previously unknown problems, you will then be required to "disclose" on the listing. Why open up some new issues if you didn't need to?
And this is a reason not to look at the buyer's inspection report, either, in case you do not sell to them. Then there might be new issues that you'd need to disclose to the next prospective buyers.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

Kennedy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:31 am

Any suggestions?
If they don't already have one, get them a cordless vac. I recommend the Shark. It's easy to use and I can zip it around the house in less than 10 mins. Prospective buyers don't want to see pet hair or dust. Give the house a deep cleaning.

If needed, rent a small storage unit to clear out the excess furniture and stuff until the house sells.

Interview 3 realtors, look at online listings of the realtors to see the pictures of the houses they currently have listed. I realtor I ultimately chose had the best looking pictures and listings.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

hogfanboy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:50 am Does anybody have any views on a seller getting a home inspection at listing time? having that available to potential buyers seems like it could have an added value. Also it might minimize the negotiations after accepting an offer. They may get their own inspector, but you can have some ground to stand on if your home inspection has some "certifications".
I wouldn't waste the money. People will want their own inspection. Each inspector will find different things (though there will certainly be a lot of overlap) due to them all having varying experience and expertise. It may require the seller disclosing something that they didn't previously know about.

BTW, where I live, in the standard contract there is language to avoid nickel and diming from the inspection. The exact language is:

"The Inspections shall include only major components of the Property, including, without limitation, central heating, central cooling, plumbing, well, and electric systems, roofs, walls, windows, ceilings, floors, appliances, and foundations. A major component shall be deemed to be in operating condition if it performs the function for which it is intended, regardless of age, and does not constitute a health or safety threat."

I suggest adding this to the contract if something similar is not in there.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Being a coach I have moved a lot in my years...as in A LOT...my wife always handled it but the drill was basically this...first we moved out to the new location, then she hired a professional cleaning company to come in and clean the house stem to stern...She hired a home inspection company and repaired anything they found that was an issue, then she had it painted where needed...some rooms yes...some not so much. We always had the landscaping done nicely and made sure that the house had as much curb appeal as we could muster. If carpet was bad she replaced it...wood floors were either polished or refinished as needed...the whole process might take up to a month but we always sold quickly and for top dollar. Her thinking was to make the place as move in ready as she could and give the buyer nothing to counter about...not sure I 100% agree but she was a pro at it..
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

lots of good suggestions. We sold 2 in 2018. Keep it spotless at all times. Makeup, toiletries - put in bags that can be put in cabinet. Kitchen counters cleared off. Yes, dog fur vacuumed from floors and furniture every morning. Febreze but not too heavy. Maybe they can confine him to certain rooms. My friend just toured 4 homes in an over 55 community. One reeked of cat urine, one of cigarette smoke. Be sure dog beds are cleaned. Dog will have to go for a ride during showings, unless they have a kennel in back yard. Remove all family photos. But also, take medications, jewelry and guns to another location or with you if not in a safe. Some realtors will suggest staging, removing extra furniture so rooms look bigger. Clean the windows and dust the blinds. dust curtains.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:36 am ...

BTW, where I live, in the standard contract there is language to avoid nickel and diming from the inspection. The exact language is:

"The Inspections shall include only major components of the Property, including, without limitation, central heating, central cooling, plumbing, well, and electric systems, roofs, walls, windows, ceilings, floors, appliances, and foundations. A major component shall be deemed to be in operating condition if it performs the function for which it is intended, regardless of age, and does not constitute a health or safety threat."

Where I live, I don't think language about the purpose of the inspection matters. The buyer has an inspection contingency, and can cancel the contract for any reason up until they sign off on that contingency.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

boglegirl wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:05 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:36 am ...

Where I live, I don't think language about the purpose of the inspection matters. The buyer has an inspection contingency, and can cancel the contract for any reason up until they sign off on that contingency.
You don't think the language of a binding contract matters?

The main problem here is the inspection contingency and attorney approval contingency generally occur at the same time and they can get out using the attorney approval contingency for pretty much any reason.
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

I don't think enough has been said about curb appeal. In my zip code, a freshly mowed lush green lawn which might take a year of attention to fix. None of the plantings overgrown. All the beds freshly mulched. If it's an asphalt driveway with blemishes, a fresh coat of sealant. If the house is painted, the paint and trim need to be in good shape. A roof that's obviously at the end of it's life is often a deal killer.
mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 »

Clean all light fixtures (bugs, dust, etc.) and replace all light bulbs with LED bulbs. My realtor said as light as possible. If seasonable, have pots of flowers beside the front door. And a new porch mat.

The main thing is to get all personal things put away: photos, knicknacks; everything off the counters in the kitchen and bathroom.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

We always deep clean, declutter, and remove some extra furniture (chairs, end tables) to make the house more spacious. Buyers appreciate a clean house and a clean house helps them feel confident the house is well cared for.

In my moms house we painted and replaced carpeting as it was 40 plus years old and non-cleanable. We took down draperies and aluminum blinds without replacing them. We left no furniture in the house which the realtor said would be fine (no furniture better than bad furniture). The house ended up looking like the buyers were moving into a newly built house. Realtor connected us with the painters and carpet salesperson who extended a professional discount to us.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

Do whatever you can to limit the dog odor. We are house hunting right now and have eliminated nice homes because of blatant pet odor.
WealthConstructor

Post by WealthConstructor »

Would agree with the comments above to declutter and do a good paint job.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Great advice in here. I'll focus....

They should be ready to vacate with 30 minutes notice. This is a short enough time that clients looking at houses can delay, then look. If they need an hour, the clients are going to look at a different house, perhaps like it and they're done. And I will stress, THEY NEED TO LEAVE. They take the dog with them.

I didn't have dogs when we were selling recent houses, but we had cats. We closed them in one room if we were at work with a sign on the door "cats, please don't let out". The room was in the unfinished part of the basement. With the 30 minute notice, we put the cookies in the microwave, the dough in the oven set to maximum, then vacuumed for 15 minutes and cleaned anything that needed it. Then we got out so we were gone before the clients and agent could see us.

People stress declutter. It's ok to pack things in moving boxes and stack them in a corner of the garage or basement. But yes...hand between any 2 articles of clothing in the closet, fingers between cans and cups in the cabinets. You're creating an air of lots of room. Sure, you can stuff the cabinets with all your canned goods and pots and pans and the buyers will leave with a sense of a cramped house with no room.

I will admit to going somewhat overboard. I remember cleaning the pipes in the basement, removing all the dust. It did make the PVC all look new and the water heater appeared to be brand new.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Look at the hardware (drawer pulls, knobs) in the kitchen (and baths). If shabby, or age-discolored plastic, replace with something modern looking. Very inexpensive project, and when we did it, made the cabinets look brighter. This, in addition to what's been mentioned earlier.