Compatibility of Catalina with Microsoft Office 2011

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Strider

Compatibility of Catalina with Microsoft Office 2011

Post by Strider » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:23 am

Am operating a 2019 MacBook Pro with macOS Mojave 10.14.6. Have been reluctant to install Catalina, which I understand may be incompatible with Microsoft Office 2011, upon which I heavily rely (particularly as regards Excel).

I have the opportunity to install Office 365 courtesy of my employer.

Is Office 365 cloud-based? Will my Excel and Word files be stored locally? Or will they be installed on a remote server? (Security issues are a concern.)

I would appreciate your advice. Should I stay with the status quo? Or alternatively, should I install the latest macOS operating system?

Strider

chuckb84

Re: Compatibility of Catalina with Microsoft Office 2011

Post by chuckb84 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:08 am

Strider wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:23 am
Am operating a 2019 MacBook Pro with macOS Mojave 10.14.6. Have been reluctant to install Catalina, which I understand may be incompatible with Microsoft Office 2011, upon which I heavily rely (particularly as regards Excel).

I have the opportunity to install Office 365 courtesy of my employer.

Is Office 365 cloud-based? Will my Excel and Word files be stored locally? Or will they be installed on a remote server? (Security issues are a concern.)

I would appreciate your advice. Should I stay with the status quo? Or alternatively, should I install the latest macOS operating system?

Strider
I wouldn't change a thing. I'm still running Mojave and plan to do so until Apple drops support for it. There is no compelling reason to switch to Catalina, and many good reasons not to. It will not run 32 bit apps and it breaks other apps that have plugins of various sorts. For sure, you need to carefully evaluate the programs you use and make sure they will work under Catalina.

Catalina is also very chatty about security, and it is being compared to Windows Vista in that regard. I think it's WAY too intrusive.

And Catalina is buggy. Even after all the 0.1 updates, it's buggy.

My strong advice is to stick with Mojave unless you have a strong need to switch (I won't say "upgrade" because it isn't) to Catalina.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:07 pm

This thread is very timely, I was about to update my MBP to Catalina and just bought MS Office 2019. Office 2019 works fine without Catalina, maybe I'll just leave the computer alone.

MacOS updates _do_ tend to break a lot more things compared to Windows updates. One has to be prepared for significant pain after an update, it's likely that a couple of your favorite apps will break (especially freeware.)

AAA

Post by AAA » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:15 pm

As security issues are a concern for you, are you aware that Microsoft is no longer providing updates for Office for Mac 2011? As a result, I recently uninstalled it and have been using Apple's Pages and Numbers for my relatively light document and spreadsheet needs. I also use the free Libre Office for one spreadsheet that didn't seem to translate well into Numbers.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:47 pm

Excel is much improved in the latest versions over Office 2011. Worth the upgrade.

Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:34 pm

From a Microsoft support page
All Office 365 plans for home and personal include the robust Office desktop apps that you’re familiar with, like Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. You also get extra online storage and cloud-connected features that let you collaborate on files in real time. With a subscription, you'll always have the latest features, fixes, and security updates along with ongoing tech support at no extra cost. You can choose to pay for your subscription on a monthly or yearly basis, and the Office 365 Home plan lets you share your subscription with your family for up to 6 people, and use your apps on multiple PCs, Macs, tablets, and phones.
You don't need to be online to use Office after it is installed and activated on your devices. However, you will need internet access initially to install and activate Office, to install any updates, and to manage your billing. Internet access is also required to access documents stored on OneDrive, unless you install the OneDrive desktop app. However, after your Office applications (like Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) are installed, you can use them offline.
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.

Escape Velocity

Post by Escape Velocity » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:37 am

I'm thinking about a hybrid (VM) approach. I have quite a few programs that won't survive the upgrade to Catalina, but I really like the convenience of the even better integration with iOS devices, something my wife and I both take advantage of. Without upgrading, I find I have to use things like Reminders from iCloud, as otherwise they won't sync properly across devices.

The programs I'm planning to keep around longer include Excel 2011, Aperture, SnapScan for a perfectly functional but-would-be-obsoleted Fujitsu SnapScan S1500M scanner, among others I'm too embarrassed to mention (e.g., iWeb ;-)

So what I'm considering is running Mohave within a Virtual Machine under Catalina. I have a reasonably high-end late-2016 MacBook Pro with 2 TB SSD. My wife owns a family version of VM Fusion, so we plan to upgrade that to run under Catalina.

My question is has anyone tried this, and if so, have they made it work acceptably, or have they run into problems? When I finally try it out, I'll report back, but that may take me a while. And if someone can help me climb the learning curve, or wave me off from their own experience, I'd be thankful for either.

EV-

Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:13 pm

Escape Velocity wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:37 am
I'm thinking about a hybrid (VM) approach. I have quite a few programs that won't survive the upgrade to Catalina, but I really like the convenience of the even better integration with iOS devices, something my wife and I both take advantage of. Without upgrading, I find I have to use things like Reminders from iCloud, as otherwise they won't sync properly across devices.

The programs I'm planning to keep around longer include Excel 2011, Aperture, SnapScan for a perfectly functional but-would-be-obsoleted Fujitsu SnapScan S1500M scanner, among others I'm too embarrassed to mention (e.g., iWeb ;-)

So what I'm considering is running Mohave within a Virtual Machine under Catalina. I have a reasonably high-end late-2016 MacBook Pro with 2 TB SSD. My wife owns a family version of VM Fusion, so we plan to upgrade that to run under Catalina.

My question is has anyone tried this, and if so, have they made it work acceptably, or have they run into problems? When I finally try it out, I'll report back, but that may take me a while. And if someone can help me climb the learning curve, or wave me off from their own experience, I'd be thankful for either.

EV-
An alternative is to repartition your Mac HD - one partition for legacy and the other for current/future upgrades.

In the past when using VM software the only benefits was not needing to login to the different OS. But always found issues with performance and some connectivity issues.
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.