Inverter for laptop with Fast charge USB

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Inverter for laptop with Fast charge USB

Post by get_g0ing »

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a power inverter with an AC outlet for my car, to plug in my laptop once in a while. The battery on the laptop says 65W.

Additionally, I'm hoping the inverter to have a USB port capable of "Adaptive Fast Charging" for Samsung phones. There are several on Amazon and most of them come with USB ports. But I'm not able to tell if these USB ports will support "Adaptive Fast Charging" for Samsung devices.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

Edit: I updated my post to clarify what I am looking for. Sorry, I didn't explain properly before.
Last edited by get_g0ing on Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BuddyJet

Re: Inverter for laptop with Fast charge USB

Post by BuddyJet »

150w seems a high requirement for a laptop.

No personal experience but this sounds like what you are asking

https://www.amazon.com/Cluvox-Charger-C ... B07T13C9RG
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

get_g0ing wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:40 pm Hi guys,

I'm looking for a power inverter for my car, to plug in my laptop once in a while. 150W would be sufficient. There are several on Amazon and most of them come with USB ports. But I'm not able to tell if these USB ports will support "Adaptive Fast Charging" for Samsung devices - I'd prefer one which can do this.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.
You are going about it wrong.
https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobil ... 915ubesta/

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobil ... 920bbegus/
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Rather than using an inverter to convert the vehicle's DC power to AC, which the laptop will then convert back to DC power, you may be able to purchase a 12 volt DC converter made specifically for your laptop.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:50 pm Rather than using an inverter to convert the vehicle's DC power to AC, which the laptop will then convert back to DC power, you may be able to purchase a 12 volt DC converter made specifically for your laptop.
And Samsung makes them. Linked in my post above.
They are reasonably priced considering that I would not want to zap an expensive $1000 smartphone with an off-brand product.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Neither of these will charge OPs laptop.
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

double post
Last edited by GeoffD on Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

Something like a Samsung Notebook 9 Pro charges with USB-C. It ships with a 65w power supply so it drives about 3 amps at 20v. The Lenovo 65w USB-C car power adapter with the 12v to 20v dc to dc converter brick is $60 on Amazon Prime. Model # 40AK0065WW. There are cheaper ones but I’d rather buy a more trustworthy brand.

I’d look at the power brick on the laptop. It’s probably 65 watts but I’m sure Samsung makes gamer laptops that draw a lot more power.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:57 am
Both will.
Considering that Samsung sells at most a 25W unit that plugs into the wall, both devices will be fine for the OP's laptop.
It has 2A output.
https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobil ... 300cwegus/

I highly doubt the OP needs a 150W unit. If he told us which Samsung laptop he has it would be useful information to have.

Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

BuddyJet wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:59 pm 150w seems a high requirement for a laptop.

No personal experience but this sounds like what you are asking

https://www.amazon.com/Cluvox-Charger-C ... B07T13C9RG
Sorry, I edited my post to clarify that I was looking for two things in the inverter:
AC outlet for laptop
USB outlet for phone
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

Is the end that goes into your laptop USB-C?
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

Nummerkins wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:32 am Is the end that goes into your laptop USB-C?
No, it's like a circular/cylindrical tip.
Laptop does have a separate USC-C port - don't know what it's for. I never use it. I only use the USB ports.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

Some laptops can charge through the USB-C port. I think it's worth finding out. Then you could use something small and compact that does DC > DC power and skips the AC conversion steps like this:

https://www.amazon.com/GearMo-Power-Del ... 07115BLPP/

Some laptops complain that the charger doesn't deliver the full wattage but at 60w max it will just go a little slower.

To fast charge your Samsung phone you'll need to look for something that's QC compatible. Regular USB charging is 5V but Samsung quick/fast charge uses 9V. You phone will also fast-charge out of the USB-C port on that adapter listed above.

I use a 45W USB-C chager in my car that does my 65w laptop at a slower speed.
Last edited by Nummerkins on Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

get_g0ing wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:52 am
Nummerkins wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:32 am Is the end that goes into your laptop USB-C?
Laptop does have a separate USC-C port - don't know what it's for. I never use it. I only use the USB ports.
Are you planning on keeping your laptop make and model a complete secret ? :oops:
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

Nummerkins wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:02 pm Some laptops can charge through the USB-C port. I think it's worth finding out. Then you could use something small and compact that does DC > DC power and skips the AC conversion steps like this:

https://www.amazon.com/GearMo-Power-Del ... 07115BLPP/

Some laptops complain that the charger doesn't deliver the full wattage but at 60w max it will just go a little slower.

To fast charge your Samsung phone you'll need to look for something that's QC compatible. Regular USB charging is 5V but Samsung quick/fast charge uses 9V. You phone will also fast-charge out of the USB-C port on that adapter listed above.

I use a 45W USB-C chager in my car that does my 65w laptop at a slower speed.
Hmm ... I am liking your idea, this USB-C things seems pretty neat. I won't have to buy a second power adapter to keep in the car (as I was going to).

This one looks like the only one capable of charging a laptop, right? I don't see any others.
https://www.amazon.com/BatPower-Charger ... B07KDXLQ3B

The other option looks to be this:
https://www.amazon.com/USB-C-Laptop-Cha ... B003FOOY32

But the 1st one is better I think, due to less bulk. What do you think?
Last edited by get_g0ing on Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

Nyc10036 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:03 pm
Are you planning on keeping your laptop make and model a complete secret ? :oops:
sorry my bad. It's Latitude 7480
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

get_g0ing wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:07 pm
The car matter too; is the power port on full time, accessory or engine on? How much usage? You don't want to blow the circuit breaker or drain your car battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anker-Ad ... 07YY7KQZP/

This one might work well enough. It might or might not run your laptop, but can charge it or extend the usage a long time.
Last edited by inbox788 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

Because the Latitude 7480 requires 65W which is the AC adapter that came with it, you will be hard pressed
to find a USB-C charger for it. read --> https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude ... -p/6137999

additional info: https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude ... -p/6239534

Dell does sell a power bank that can charge the 7480 --> https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/ac ... 761040-0-0

Buy a brand name inverter that can supply 100W and use Dell's 65 W AC adapter and you will be fine.

Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

Great, I have an XPS 13 2-in-1 and many deployed Latitude 5480s at work. I can confirm both work with my in-car 45W USB-C charger, although the Latitude charges slower. The 90w white unit you linked looks like you should be able to full-speed charge your laptop as well as fast-charge your Samsung phone. No need for an AC inverter. It's less efficient and generates more heat. DC > DC is better than DC > AC > DC.

Although initially confusing, this is where USB-C PD shines. By my bed I have one charger that can use the same cable to charge my phone, laptop, Nintendo Switch, portable speaker, etc. I can charge all the same things in my car with just a USB-C to USB-C cable -- no more adapters for each device.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

inbox788 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:32 pm The car matter too; is the power port on full time, accessory or engine on? How much usage? You don't want to blow the circuit breaker or drain your car battery.
Virtually all 12 volt accessory outlets in vehicles have 15 amp fuses, meaning that 180 watts is the most that they can supply. This is why most inverters with 12 volt plugs have a 150 watt maximum output. This is not impacted by the vehicle running (i.e. you cannot draw more power when the vehicle is running or less when it isn't). However, you don't want to draw much power while the vehicle isn't running since this draws power from the battery and will eventually drain it. The batteries in regular (non-electric) vehicles are not designed for deep-cycling; they want to be kept fully charged. Running the laptop for 30-60 minutes at a time is probably fine, but if it's run longer, the vehicle needs to be at least idled for 30 minutes to recharged the battery.

Also, most vehicles don't have breakers; they have fuses. If you plan on running an inverter from your vehicle, you'd better have several spares just in case.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
JonnyB

Post by JonnyB »

A typical car battery has a capacity of about 500 Watt-hours. If your laptop charger is rated a maximum of 65 watts, it probably runs somewhat less on average, maybe 50 watts. With a battery rated 500 watt-hours, you should be able to use it for several hours at 50 watts with no problem. It won't harm your battery to discharge it to 50% and still allow you to start your engine.
Toons

Post by Toons »

This is the inverter charger I use
Foval 150W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Converter with 3.1A Dual USB Car Charger

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KT ... UTF8&psc=1

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

JonnyB wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:06 pm A typical car battery has a capacity of about 500 Watt-hours. If your laptop charger is rated a maximum of 65 watts, it probably runs somewhat less on average, maybe 50 watts. With a battery rated 500 watt-hours, you should be able to use it for several hours at 50 watts with no problem. It won't harm your battery to discharge it to 50% and still allow you to start your engine.
Taking a starting battery down to 50% state of charge repeatedly is not a good practice. That's fine for a marine or deep-cycle battery, but not a starting battery. If you can, it's better to not take a starting battery down below 80% state of charge.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

Nummerkins wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:48 pm
Great, I have an XPS 13 2-in-1 and many deployed Latitude 5480s at work. I can confirm both work with my in-car 45W USB-C charger, although the Latitude charges slower. The 90w white unit you linked looks like you should be able to full-speed charge your laptop as well as fast-charge your Samsung phone. No need for an AC inverter. It's less efficient and generates more heat. DC > DC is better than DC > AC > DC.

Although initially confusing, this is where USB-C PD shines. By my bed I have one charger that can use the same cable to charge my phone, laptop, Nintendo Switch, portable speaker, etc. I can charge all the same things in my car with just a USB-C to USB-C cable -- no more adapters for each device.
I was reading a bit about this. Some devices can charge (other devices) and be charged themselves via USB-C PD. If that's correct, do you understand how the device determines whether to charge or be charged from the other device?
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:59 pmVirtually all 12 volt accessory outlets in vehicles have 15 amp fuses, meaning that 180 watts is the most that they can supply. This is why most inverters with 12 volt plugs have a 150 watt maximum output. This is not impacted by the vehicle running (i.e. you cannot draw more power when the vehicle is running or less when it isn't). However, you don't want to draw much power while the vehicle isn't running since this draws power from the battery and will eventually drain it. The batteries in regular (non-electric) vehicles are not designed for deep-cycling; they want to be kept fully charged. Running the laptop for 30-60 minutes at a time is probably fine, but if it's run longer, the vehicle needs to be at least idled for 30 minutes to recharged the battery.

Also, most vehicles don't have breakers; they have fuses. If you plan on running an inverter from your vehicle, you'd better have several spares just in case.
You're probably right, but I've seen 20 amp fuses unswitched, which could drain your battery if you weren't careful, and some 10 amp on switched accessory, either specified or the owner sometimes replaces a smaller fuse.

If a laptop and a phone are the max load then it's not an issue, but with usb-c maxing out at 100 watts and 36 watts for QC3, if you're maxing those out and adding additional load, you might have to check. Just don't try blow drying your hair or boiling water in the car.

The car battery is probably ok, unless you're making a lot of short trips, starting the car frequently without giving it a chance to recharge and parked the rest of the time using the computer further draining it. Worse if at night and adding lights usage, though LEDs today use less power than older bulbs.
JonnyB wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:06 pmIf your laptop charger is rated a maximum of 65 watts, it probably runs somewhat less on average, maybe 50 watts.
Usually a lot less. Maybe 10 or 20 watts, so a 15 watt or 30 watt supply is usually enough to run the laptop with typical usage. With 65 watts, you could continuously run CPU benchmarks, wireless modems, stream videos, supply external USB devices, download to external hard drives and charge your battery.
get_g0ing wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:33 pm I was reading a bit about this. Some devices can charge (other devices) and be charged themselves via USB-C PD. If that's correct, do you understand how the device determines whether to charge or be charged from the other device?
Good question. It's negotiated, so the result can sometimes be unexpected or undesirable. It's best when you can control it, but I think some of the software is still in development. I've looked for a dongle to add to the C-C cable to determine direction, but haven't found one yet. Best to avoid C-C cables if you don't want this issue, and stick to unidirectional A-C cables.

https://www.quora.com/Devices-can-charg ... -direction
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Nyc10036 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:12 am
Both will.
Considering that Samsung sells at most a 25W unit that plugs into the wall, both devices will be fine for the OP's laptop.
It has 2A output.

I highly doubt the OP needs a 150W unit. If he told us which Samsung laptop he has it would be useful information to have.

No they will not, and neither will the one you just posted. There are ZERO chargers with a USB-A output that support USB-PD, which is the standard for charging laptops. These are cell phone/tablet chargers. You are just giving bad information.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

get_g0ing wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:07 pm sorry my bad. It's Latitude 7480
Something like this will maintain your laptop's battery while you're using it, but will only charge when it's off: https://smile.amazon.com/Charger-Anker- ... 656&sr=8-9

This one will charge it slowly while in use, but I don't know the brand: https://smile.amazon.com/Maxboost-Charg ... 656&sr=8-7
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I use this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JJSW48V/ ... wEbE7N9M6V
This one gives 12w per USB port.

150w is the typical max you can pull from a car cigarette lighter. The fuse will blow in your car above that. There are smaller 150w and 300w versions of this inverter but I thought why not have the option of 500w power directly connected to the car battery. This gives me a a bigger heat sink so that the fan doesn't have to turn on as often when I do use it through the cigarette lighter. It's <$40.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I have had a car with electrical problems and they are difficult and expensive to track down. I would really hesitate to push the limits on an electrical system of a car since it might damage your car.

One option that has not been mentioned would be to just get a second battery for your laptop, assuming that it is one that you can easily switch.

If you don't already have a solid state drive in your laptop then I would think that putting one of those in it would significantly extend your battery life.

If you have some need for electricity at a jobsite they make Lithium batteries just for charging things like laptops like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Generator-NusGea ... 162&sr=8-4
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

lazydavid wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:44 am
Something like this will maintain your laptop's battery while you're using it, but will only charge when it's off: https://smile.amazon.com/Charger-Anker- ... 656&sr=8-9

This one will charge it slowly while in use, but I don't know the brand: https://smile.amazon.com/Maxboost-Charg ... 656&sr=8-7
This USB-C PD stuff is very new to me, so I don't properly understand. But I came across these on Amazon. What do you think?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TZ ... UTF8&psc=1

And found this also. You thoughts on this one please?

Thanks.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

get_g0ing wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:24 am
lazydavid wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:44 am

This USB-C PD stuff is very new to me, so I don't properly understand. But I came across these on Amazon. What do you think?

Thanks.
The BatPower unit will work fine and its compact -- just get some an Amazon USB-C to USB-C cable and you are good to go for the laptop.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

get_g0ing wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:24 am This USB-C PD stuff is very new to me, so I don't properly understand. But I came across these on Amazon. What do you think?

Thanks.
The first two are likely the same unit. I'm not familiar with either brand, so won't make a specific recommendation, but if the quality is decent either should serve you well.

The third one is bulkier and won't charge your phone at the same time as your laptop (but you can swap back and forth).
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

lazydavid wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:33 am
Nyc10036 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:12 am
Both will.
It has 2A output.

No they will not, and neither will the one you just posted. There are ZERO chargers with a USB-A output that support USB-PD, which is the standard for charging laptops. These are cell phone/tablet chargers. You are just giving bad information.
I posted that before the OP clarified what he had.
His initial post implied he had a Samsung laptop.

Later he posted that he has a Dell Latitude 7480 and I provided him with links to valid information about his laptop.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:33 pm
lazydavid wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:33 am No they will not, and neither will the one you just posted. There are ZERO chargers with a USB-A output that support USB-PD, which is the standard for charging laptops. These are cell phone/tablet chargers. You are just giving bad information.

Later he posted that he has a Dell Latitude 7480 and I provided him with links to valid information about his laptop.
It doesn't matter, the information was wrong in any context. The fact that his laptop turned out to be a Dell didn't suddenly make your initial suggestions incorrect, they were always incorrect. The first three chargers you posted WILL NOT charge a Samsung laptop, or any other brand, full stop. Laptops of any brand--including Samsung--that charge via USB-C do so using the USB Power Delivery protocol. None of those chargers support PD.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

lazydavid wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:46 pm
lazydavid wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:33 am No they will not, and neither will the one you just posted. There are ZERO chargers with a USB-A output that support USB-PD, which is the standard for charging laptops. These are cell phone/tablet chargers. You are just giving bad information.

It doesn't matter, the information was wrong in any context. The fact that his laptop turned out to be a Dell didn't suddenly make your initial suggestions incorrect, they were always incorrect. The first three chargers you posted WILL NOT charge a Samsung laptop, or any other brand, full stop. Laptops of any brand--including Samsung--that charge via USB-C do so using the USB Power Delivery protocol. None of those chargers support PD.
There is a lot of confusion and misunderstand about USB and PD. If interested, suggest you start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardw ... y_(USB_PD)

Not everyone follows the many standards, which involves not just the hosts or devices on either end, but more importantly now, the different cables themselves. If you're using higher power or faster transfers, be sure you have an appropriate cable like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Anker- ... 076D76DRQ/

OP, unless your usage is extreme, which it doesn't appear to be ("plug in my laptop once in a while"), many of these solutions are overkill. What are you doing on your computer and what is the longest period of usage in a day you will need? Review run down test lasted just over 13 hours! https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/dell-lati ... -7000-7480

A simple charging cable may be all you really need to stretch out your day.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-2-Pack-Pre ... B07DC5PPFV

And here's a short summary of the chaos today:
Will any port work with any charger?
USB-C is a universal charging standard. That means that, technically, it doesn’t matter what USB-C charger you use, it should be able to power up a laptop with a USB-C charging port and power bank. In the real world, this is taking a while to come true. Today the majority of laptop USB-C chargers are interchangeable, but it’s not guaranteed.

Some laptops come with USB-C ports that don’t charge. This is most common on laptops that come with their own, proprietary charger — although a number of laptops can be charged either way, only the propriety charger tends to power up a laptop more quickly. The Samsung Notebook 9 is an example of that, as is the 2019 HP Envy 13. If you’re not sure exactly how to charge your laptop, check the manufacturer’s website, or look up a review of the system here at Digital Trends.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... via-usb-c/
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

lazydavid wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:46 pm

I took his post to mean he wanted to operate his laptop.
He can use his laptop using those adapters.
And if the laptop isn't on, those adapters will charge his laptop although slowly.

65W AC adapters are to operate the laptop and charge the battery.
If he is doing one or the other, the adapters I linked will work.

The charging he wanted was for his Samsung smartphone.
Go read his first post.

Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

inbox788 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:16 pm A simple charging cable may be all you really need to stretch out your day.
Hi,

Thanks for the info, very useful post.
Want to clarify something about this USB-C to USB-A cable. The USB-C end goes to my laptop, but where does the USB-A end go?

inbox788 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:16 pm
If you're using higher power or faster transfers, be sure you have an appropriate cable like this one:
And about the USB-C to USB-C cable, are they supposed to be this price point of around $30? If so, what makes them so expensive?

Thanks
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

get_g0ing wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:55 pmWant to clarify something about this USB-C to USB-A cable. The USB-C end goes to my laptop, but where does the USB-A end go?
Plug it into anything that fits. Seriously, most people already have some A socket power sources around (power adapter, power bank, cigarette lighter adapter, outlet adapter, etc.). A minimum 5 watt isn't going to charge very fast, but would probably work overnight, if you weren't using the computer. If you are using the computer, a 12 watt or higher power source might keep battery drain to a minimum or even charge it slightly depending on the laptop and power usage. You might get an underpower alert, but if it bothers you, you might be able to disable it in the BIOS.
“Alert! You have attached an undersized 60W power adapter to your system, which is less than the recommended 65W power adapter. To continue operating at peak performance, your system may also draw power from the battery. The battery charges only when the power provided by the adapter is greater than the needs of your system. Use a Dell 65W (or greater) power adapter to enable charging during peak system performance.”
https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops- ... -p/5181898
And about the USB-C to USB-C cable, are they supposed to be this price point of around $30? If so, what makes them so expensive?
You probably don't need such a high spec cable, unless you really are needing super fast charging. High speed video and data (40 gbps) with higher voltage and currents (100 watts) are more sensitive to noise, interference and can generate more heat. There are both cheaper and more expensive cables. In extreme cases, you're asking them to do a lot, and poor quality cables can give you problems. You can also connect a multi-feature dock. It's finally starting to bring back the U to USB.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMBH ... -cable-2-m
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MQ4H ... cable-08-m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqw3tq327ac

Comes down to how fast and how much charging you will be doing in the car. How many minutes will you have to charge and are you trying to fill up from empty or simply adding a little extra capacity? Alternatively, in addition to an extra battery someone mentioned, an external battery bank might also be considered. FWIW, if you got a 65 watt or 100 watt source, you'd need the higher rated cables for fastest charging, but if the max charging is limited to 65 watts, it's little difference from 60 watts and you can get away with lesser cables.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:16 pm I took his post to mean he wanted to operate his laptop.
He can use his laptop using those adapters.
And if the laptop isn't on, those adapters will charge his laptop although slowly.

65W AC adapters are to operate the laptop and charge the battery.
If he is doing one or the other, the adapters I linked will work.
They won't, but go ahead and try it (with any laptop) and report back. I'm responsible for about 135 laptops, which just happen to be the 7470/7480/7490 family (three generations of the same model), along with their slightly-smaller bretheren the 7380/7390. Also the same number of mobile devices--mostly iOS, but a few dozen Android as well. My own personal daily drivers are a 7390, iPad Pro and Note 10. A traditional low-power USB-A phone charger (even one that supports Qualcomm QuickCharge) will NOT charge a laptop at all, even when off. Even if they could, without PD you'd be limited to the default USB rate of 500mW (5V x 1.0A). Since this laptop has a relatively average-sized battery at 60Wh, that would mean a full charge would take five days.
Nyc10036 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:16 pm The charging he wanted was for his Samsung smartphone.
Go read his first post.
I've read his first post several times. He wanted something he could plug his laptop into that would also charge his samsung smartphone. The chargers you responded with will absolutely charge his smartphone, and quickly. Just not his laptop, at any speed. :)
inbox788 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:28 am
get_g0ing wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:55 pmWant to clarify something about this USB-C to USB-A cable. The USB-C end goes to my laptop, but where does the USB-A end go?
Plug it into anything that fits. Seriously, most people already have some A socket power sources around (power adapter, power bank, cigarette lighter adapter, outlet adapter, etc.). A minimum 5 watt isn't going to charge very fast, but would probably work overnight, if you weren't using the computer. If you are using the computer, a 12 watt or higher power source might keep battery drain to a minimum or even charge it slightly depending on the laptop and power usage. You might get an underpower alert, but if it bothers you, you might be able to disable it in the BIOS.
On this particular laptop, I've personally experienced very slow but steady charging with a 35W USB-PD power adapter (which originally came with the Core M3-powered 7370) while in use. See the math above about theoretical charging times on a 5W power supply while off. 12 hours (a very generous overnight) would get you a 10% bump.

But I'm done with this thread. OP got the info they needed.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

get_g0ing wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:55 pm
inbox788 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:16 pm A simple charging cable may be all you really need to stretch out your day.
Hi,

Thanks for the info, very useful post.
Want to clarify something about this USB-C to USB-A cable. The USB-C end goes to my laptop, but where does the USB-A end go?

inbox788 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:16 pm
If you're using higher power or faster transfers, be sure you have an appropriate cable like this one:

Thanks
USB C to C > charge laptop or phone
USB A to C > charge phone only

I use this cable to charge my laptop. The more expensive cables are for high speed data transfer-- not needed for charging.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB ... 01GGKZ1VA/
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:16 pm
Nummerkins wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:48 am
lazydavid wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:16 am
inbox788 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:28 am
Hi guys,

Just for completeness sake, I am sharing some results. I ordered the white (90W PD) unit I found on Amazon and it came with cables.

1. With Samsung Fast Charging Wall Charger, when I connect my laptop with a USB-C to USB-A cable, it doesn't charge. It says "plugged in, discharging" (I also noticed the charge going down).

2. Same result as above with the Samsung Fast Charging Vehicle Charger.

3. But with the white unit, it charges my laptop just fine. I also noticed that the "min to full charge" is same as the 65W AC adapter.

Thanks for all your input, guys.

I am impressed by this USB-C PD. I had been doing the old way where I had an inverter and I would carry the laptop AC adapter if I needed to use the laptop in the car. But now no need for inverter and no need for an adapter!
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

lazydavid wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:16 amOn this particular laptop, I've personally experienced very slow but steady charging with a 35W USB-PD power adapter (which originally came with the Core M3-powered 7370) while in use. See the math above about theoretical charging times on a 5W power supply while off. 12 hours (a very generous overnight) would get you a 10% bump.

But I'm done with this thread. OP got the info they needed.
Thanks for sharing your personal experience. Goes to show the variability between how things are supposed to work and how they really work. Hopefully OP has a better experience. The promise and potential is great, but it's taken and taking a while to get there.

A 10% bump just charging overnight is extremely low and disappointing. If you used the lowest 2.5 watt (5v, 500ma) usb charger and the laptop was in standby, but consumes unusually high 10-20%+ overnight on standby for whatever reason as has been reported with some laptops, then a 10% gain might explain where all the power went factoring 70-85% efficiency. Or more likely, the charging got cut off because it reached some minimum/maximum threshold and/or entered some protection mode. A lot of these parameters are not standard.

FWIW, I've had good luck with various non apple usb-c charging methods charging a recent macbook air. I've used both c-c and a-c cables, and they've both worked. I've plugged into wall 5v 1a and 2.4a usb ports, 15/18 watt and 30 watt adapters, and various battery banks. The only glitch I've experienced is with a battery bank that got charged sometimes and other times charged the laptop. I've yet to find a way to control which direction the charging goes. When in doubt, I use the a-c cable, but it's slower.

If you plugged 2 laptops together, say to do data transfer, you may want the PD to go one way or the other, or simply not be a factor. Right now, I think it's arbitrary and uncontrollable, but I hope this gets resolved soon.

Anyway, OP, come back and let us know your charging power and rate and how much charge you get after 1-2 hours and/or overnight (or just starting and ending percentage over how many minutes).