coronavirus and your health insurance cost

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Summer

coronavirus and your health insurance cost

Post by Summer »

This scares me-
When most American can’t afford a $1,000 emergency bill- how are Americans going to react when they get sick after seeing how much a basic test will cost and what would a longer stay in a hospital cost.

The cost of seeking medical care can be devastating to a lot of families. What will happen to our economy if things get worse.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health ... 76806.html

“How can they expect normal citizens to contribute to eliminating the potential risk of person-to-person spread if hospitals are waiting to charge us $3,270 for a simple blood test and a nasal swab?” he said.

“When someone has flu-like symptoms, you want them to to seek medical care,” said Sabrina Corlette, a Georgetown University professor and co-director of the Center on Health Insurance Reforms. “If they have one of these junk plans and they know they might be on the hook for more than they can afford to seek that care, a lot of them just won’t, and that is a public health concern.”
Trism

Re: coronavirus and your health insurance cost

Post by Trism »

This article isn't about my health insurance cost, it's about the out-of-pocket expenses a guy in Miami had to pay as a direct result of canceling a higher-quality health insurance policy because he prioritized other expenses over the $400/month the plan was costing him.

The topic also isn't actionable.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Trism wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:26 am This article isn't about my health insurance cost, it's about the out-of-pocket expenses a guy in Miami had to pay as a direct result of canceling a higher-quality health insurance policy because he prioritized other expenses over the $400/month the plan was costing him.

The topic also isn't actionable.
It might be actionable as an example about why NOT to try to avoid the regular health insurers/policies, and take risks with cheapo policies. Surprise! There are *reasons* the cheapo policies are inexpensive!

The real problem is why they now offer such policies, but I can't answer that without heading into politics.

If someone wants a cheaper camera, it won't have all the features of a more expensive camera (usually; there are exceptions).
But with health insurance, some of those "missing features" could become necessary.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

I thought those do nothing policies had been prohibited as part of the laws around Obamacare?

I have Medicare, Plan F Medigap, and AARP Plan D, thank God, so this isn't even on my concern list. Although I would be in big trouble if a med cost zillions.

Am I the only person having time outs when trying to reach bogleheads...

Update: Okay,so I read the article and I see the days of junk policies and no coverage for preexisting conditions are back. But I think the bill in the thousands was because he apparently went to an ER. I am not sure what one should do in his circumstances. We need rules for that. Tests for the coronavirus for people who have reason to think they've been exposed probably should be free.
Last edited by fru-gal on Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

fru-gal wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:07 pm I thought those do nothing policies had been prohibited as part of the laws around Obamacare?

I have Medicare, Plan F Medigap, and AARP Plan D, thank God, so this isn't even on my concern list. Although I would be in big trouble if a med cost zillions.

Am I the only person having time outs when trying to reach bogleheads...
It's very slow for me this morning too, had one time-out but otherwise just slow in loading
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Summer wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:17 am When most American can’t afford a $1,000 emergency bill- how are Americans going to react when they get sick after seeing how much a basic test will cost and what would a longer stay in a hospital cost.
I assume they will be sad.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

fru-gal wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:07 pm Tests for the coronavirus for people who have reason to think they've been exposed probably should be free.
Yep. As a public health thing, you want anyone showing symptoms to get tested for MERS-CoV and you absolutely don't want them going to an Emergency Room to do it spreading the disease around to everyone else. If it's not free or at least very close to free, half the country won't get tested for fear of being crushed by a huge medical bill. The rest of the first world should have no problem adopting that kind of policy.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Summer wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:17 am “When someone has flu-like symptoms, you want them to to seek medical care,”
No you want them to stay home and not give everyone else in the waiting room whatever they have.
fru-gal wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:07 pm Tests for the coronavirus for people who have reason to think they've been exposed probably should be free.
It is.

Crappy health coverage is a bad thing, but if it keeps people with simple flu-like symptoms home when they're not critically ill then that specific side effect is good for public health.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.