How Do you Exercise Indoors?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Dottie57

Re: How Do you Exercise Indoors?

Post by Dottie57 »

Ornery Old Guy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:47 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:52 am
Ornery Old Guy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:58 pm
stoptothink wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:55 pm
TallBoy29er wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:20 pm

So far....It's a hit, for both of us. For those saying the main benefit is the social aspect, I would disagree. That is certainly one of the aspects, as you can do live classes with others, but there is much more. DW loves the HIIT workouts. I am typically an endurance rider. The Peloton has the concept of power zone rides, which I love. I'd be glad to expound, but for the sake of not writing a novel, will not here. There are also other apps included....yoga, meditation, stretching, etc.
There are literally thousands of different workouts online, for free. As someone who is a scientific researcher in this space, every new trend totally confuses me, but almost all of them come down to the social aspect and there is a lot of recent research supporting the idea that socializing is a huge factor in whether or not a large swathe of the population will consistently exercise. There is nothing wrong with it, but it isn't a factor for me.
Really it comes down to:
You need resistance exercise.
You need cardio.
You will only do it if you enjoy it so...
You need something you like to do.
The third factor is the hardest to get in. So find something that's a fun workout for you and do it most days. Cross train of course. For a lot of us, Peloton is SO FUN!!!
But I think the most important factor is - find a routine that's fun for you. If it's not fun you won't do it. THEN figure out what to buy.
I am screwed then. I like to read in a comfy chair.
Me too! So get a Peloton, ride it for 20 or 30 minutes then read in a comfy chair with a feeling of accomplishment!
Maybe someday. Right now living with my mom who has terminal cancer. No space in the house.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Indoor trainer for my bike. With the app Zwift, you can virtually train anywhere in the world and compete with real people, whether friends or professionals. It’s a blast. The trainer costs anywhere from $150 and up, but you need to have a bike. But I can go take my bike and ride it outside. Can’t imagine paying the bucks for an indoor bicycle like a Peloton that doesn’t actually go anywhere! :shock:
bberris

Post by bberris »

Youtube! Don't laugh.

I've seen great benefits in joint pain, endurance, and general health.

I like Jessica smith and her lazy French bulldog who sleeps through the exercises, and Fitness Blender.
You don't need to buy expensive equipment. I use a mat and some light hand weights.
Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:34 am
Ornery Old Guy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:47 pm

There are literally thousands of different workouts online, for free. As someone who is a scientific researcher in this space, every new trend totally confuses me, but almost all of them come down to the social aspect and there is a lot of recent research supporting the idea that socializing is a huge factor in whether or not a large swathe of the population will consistently exercise. There is nothing wrong with it, but it isn't a factor for me.
Really it comes down to:
You need cardio.
The third factor is the hardest to get in. So find something that's a fun workout for you and do it most days. Cross train of course. For a lot of us, Peloton is SO FUN!!!
But I think the most important factor is - find a routine that's fun for you. If it's not fun you won't do it. THEN figure out what to buy.
Me too! So get a Peloton, ride it for 20 or 30 minutes then read in a comfy chair with a feeling of accomplishment!
Maybe someday. Right now living with my mom who has terminal cancer. No space in the house.
I'm sorry to hear that. Don't forget to take care of yourself too and get outside for a walk or a bike ride. Your Mom will be better off if you are getting exercise and sleep.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

UPDATE:
okay. you folks have been great! (this thread and the treadmill advice thread I just posted)
I ordered the Sole f80 at their great home page website.

$239 bucks for in house delivery and setup, free shipping, great deal.
Came out to $1,839

I've been thinking of this for a long time, but the hurdle was always how to get it to my downstairs gym and setup because of its weight, etc.
When I bought my higher end Sole Eliptical many years ago, I had to disassemble it far more than it was meant, just so DW and I could get the pieces downstairs.

******The "paying for home delivery and setup" idea from you folks was a game changer!

Thanks!

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
The Broz

Post by The Broz »

ruanddu wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:49 pm Hello,

I am hoping to find a good machine for exercising at home. I have heard good things about the Peloton stationary bike. I would appreciate your recommendations on what has worked well for you, whether Peloton or another brand. Also, do you prefer an stationary bike or do you like another method of indoor exercise?

If using Peloton, is there a certain model I should look out for?

Thank you!
I can't comment on the Peloton at all, other than the cost would be off-putting to me (but I am not a spin class kind of guy either). Athlean-x has a few different programs that you can subscribe to for a lot less money. I know a few people who have purchased his primary program and loved it. He also has a body weight program, which is presumably very light on the sort of equipment you would need to get. But to steal the opinion of others, the best program is the one you are going to do.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

I made a power rack in my basement so I can do the king of all exercises, the barbell squat. I do other stuff too but squatting has become my "bare minimum" exercise that I never sacrifice, even if I am feeling lazy. I suggest everyone whose body will allow give it a try.
inittowinit

Post by inittowinit »

Jumping rope. Awesome cardio, full body workout, easier on the knees than running, and super fun! I recommend Crossrope for the boglehead truly seeking a top of the line jump roping experience.
lexie2000

Post by lexie2000 »

I use youtube for some great 70s music and dance for at least an hour. It's low impact, aerobic, and fun. I started to do this in 2019 after temps dropped and felt and it became too cold to continue walking every day.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

lexie2000 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:26 pm I use youtube for some great 70s music and dance for at least an hour. It's low impact, aerobic, and fun. I started to do this in 2019 after temps dropped and felt and it became too cold to continue walking every day.
If this video doesn't get you in the mood for exercise, nothing can.

https://youtu.be/TIfAkOBMf5A
GCD

Post by GCD »

lexie2000 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:26 pm I use youtube for some great 70s music and dance for at least an hour. It's low impact, aerobic, and fun. I started to do this in 2019 after temps dropped and felt and it became too cold to continue walking every day.
I use YouTube as well. I recommend the Google Chrome ad suppressor or the ads are too disruptive. Having high BPM music means a difference of several levels of intensity in what I can sustain on a Stairmaster over time.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Disco!!!!
Hustle!
Bump!
American Bandstand. . . dancing:hits!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD6Hd99U29M

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

I avoid it as much as I can and prefer the Y and riding outside but do have a Schwinn IC Pro spinning bike in a spare bedroom with a lake view that is a terrific and serious indoor exercise option. They're not cheap but are solid as a rock. I bought mine about 10 years ago from a bike shop going out of business. Shop around. Here's the thing; the spare bedrooms and garages of the world are full of slightly used exercise equipment and I'm always a believer of buying something of quality. Hopefully whatever you spend will be justified with use.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I go to the Y 3 days a week. I do either treadmill or elliptical and about 10 exercise machines. Other days I usually walk 2 to 3 miles and do a set of exercises at home. The Y routine helps me with strength and flexibility. I like the diversity of machines I use which help various parts of my aging body. I doubt I could find anything for home use that would rival that. Also, at times I have done yoga, swimming and other things at the Y. It is not cheap ($73 a month) but worth it to me.
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

I try not. Unless it's raining, bitterly cold, or excruciatingly hot, I go outside and run, walk or play tennis. For indoors, I have hand weights and exercise bands and do squats, lunges, push ups, and balance exercises.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Indoor basketball.. takes care of legs abs arms cardio
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thanks again, everyone. This was very helpful!
yakk0

Post by yakk0 »

The Broz wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:49 pm
I can't comment on the Peloton at all, other than the cost would be off-putting to me (but I am not a spin class kind of guy either). Athlean-x has a few different programs that you can subscribe to for a lot less money. I know a few people who have purchased his primary program and loved it. He also has a body weight program, which is presumably very light on the sort of equipment you would need to get. But to steal the opinion of others, the best program is the one you are going to do.
Athlean-x is wonderful! I don’t follow his programs but I check his YouTube videos on proper exercise form and such. One of his videos helped me heal what I believe was a herniated disc simply by learning to stretch the proper way.
seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib »

Horizon T101-5 treadmill with dedicated tablet for tunes/video (Wife and I) garage
2 each 15 lb dumbbells (me)
2 each 5 lb dumbbells (wife)
one bench (me) garage

3 mile walk at 6 degrees, 3mph every other day (me)
3 sets lifting on bench every other day for approx 15 minutes (me)
2 mile walk at 0 degrees (most every day Wife, does weight exercise during the walk)

Total equipment investment $900.00 (including our shoes and socks)

Seems to work out great for us. As the weather warms up I transition outside and start doing a lot more walking miles, mostly on flat.

I find the ROI on the treadmill, dumbbells and bench to be fantastic vs a health club membership. I got eight years out of my last mill. Dumbbells get heavier over time but they never wear out, neither does the bench. Plus we hate working out with a bunch of strangers.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thank you!
Rajsx

Post by Rajsx »

I am looking for some indoor exercises for strength, I joined a Gym recently & after 4 workouts, it promptly closed.I just hope this Virus passes away soon & I return to the gym. Meanwhile I have been walking daily
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!
cpan00b

Post by cpan00b »

200 pushups, 200 reps total of various ab exercises and 200 squats or lunges. Body weight only. $0. Takes about 30-45 minutes depending on how much I fool around on my phone in between sets. Won't get bigger/buffer but it's keeping me lean and might even end up more cut than before social isolation 2020. I've done 9 days straight so far and it helps break up the monotony of the day. Have not stepped outside in 16 days now.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

TallBoy29er wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:20 pm

So far....It's a hit, for both of us. For those saying the main benefit is the social aspect, I would disagree. That is certainly one of the aspects, as you can do live classes with others, but there is much more. DW loves the HIIT workouts. I am typically an endurance rider. The Peloton has the concept of power zone rides, which I love. I'd be glad to expound, but for the sake of not writing a novel, will not here. There are also other apps included....yoga, meditation, stretching, etc.
Really it comes down to:
You need cardio.
Loved this response! 😂
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

Just completed my basement gym: barbell, weights, bench, squat racks, etc. Procured very cheaply, <$500 altogether. Focused on core five lifts. And weather is great for running right now, my mileage will likely double at this rate.
dragant

Post by dragant »

I do the Nike Training Club app. There are tons of short videos mostly using bodyweight. Right now, premium videos are free.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Lately I've been doing assisted muscle-ups using a suspension trainer. I'm becoming very fond of this exercise since it's a bit like rowing and works the glutes and the upper back, places that I've always had trouble activating. And I can do it without needing a pullup bar, making setup and teardown very easy.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

If anyone's looking for a collection of various home workouts, this is a great list with links to articles on programs/exercises. Covers everything from having some weights available, to only certain implements (such as kettlebells or dumbells or bands), down to just purely body weight. Very helpful in this time of self isolation.

https://www.elitefts.com/education/home ... -workouts/

Personal recommendation, if you can get your hands on a just a couple of quality resistance bands it is really amazing how much of a strength program you can do simply with the bands and an anchor point (and sometimes that anchor point is just your feet).

A couple of notes/anectdotes: I was fortunate to order some basic powerlifting equipment (bars, rack, bench, platform) 2+ weeks ago on the day when the NY first announced gym closures. Now just about everything is sold out everywhere (weight plates are as hard to find as TP!) for months. Normally Craigslist/FBmarketplace would be ideal, but laws of supply/demand have skyrocketed those prices. So I would say resist the urge to shell out exorbitant dollars for someone's old rusty home gym they haven't used in 5 years. Use the links above and other online articles - there are creative ways to keep up strength in this situation without needlessly wasting money.
SheReadsHere719

Post by SheReadsHere719 »

I've been using the videos from HASFit, which have a number of options for no / minimal equipment. I highly recommend!