How Do you Exercise Indoors?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ruanddu

How Do you Exercise Indoors?

Post by ruanddu » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:49 pm

Hello,

I am hoping to find a good machine for exercising at home. I have heard good things about the Peloton stationary bike. I would appreciate your recommendations on what has worked well for you, whether Peloton or another brand. Also, do you prefer an stationary bike or do you like another method of indoor exercise?

If using Peloton, is there a certain model I should look out for?

Thank you!

Tamarind

Re: How Do you Exercise Indoors?

Post by Tamarind » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:51 pm

If you're up for it, how about an erg (rowing machine). It's good cardio and engages more of your body than a bike imo. Find someone to teach you proper form and decide if you like it first though.

I'm also a big fan of hand weights and other tools that are very flexible.
Last edited by Tamarind on Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:52 pm

Elliptical machine, push-ups, pull-ups/chin-ups, bodyweight squats, burpees, etc.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:56 pm

Agree that a rowing machine is my go to cardio machine.

For the life of me, I don't get the Peloton market. Unless you are a serious cyclist, people should step back and realize they are spending $3k on an exercise bike, that also requires a $500/year for a subscription. I've outfitted everything I would ever need for a garage gym - power rack, rowing machine, full dumbbell set 5-50 lbs, 315 lbs Olympic weight set, trap bar, and too many other misc items to list for well under $3k

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:01 pm

ruanddu wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:49 pm
Hello,

I am hoping to find a good machine for exercising at home. I have heard good things about the Peloton stationary bike. I would appreciate your recommendations on what has worked well for you, whether Peloton or another brand. Also, do you prefer an stationary bike or do you like another method of indoor exercise?

Thank you!
You mean "at home", not indoors, I think. At home, kettlebells. At the gym, spin classes, weights and yoga.

I cycle outside and just can't stand indoor trainers, and it seems the camaraderie of the spin classes ameliorates that. I do sometimes think about getting this set of rollers for home use, because you can move on/with the bike like an outdoor ride:

http://www.insideride.com

flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:04 pm

ruanddu wrote:
Also, do you prefer an stationary bike or do you like another method of indoor exercise?
Personally I run stairs

You would be surprised how many solid runners and cyclists gas out after climbing only a few flights of stairs
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:07 pm

fishmonger wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:56 pm

For the life of me, I don't get the Peloton market. Unless you are a serious cyclist, people should step back and realize they are spending $3k on an exercise bike, that also requires a $500/year for a subscription. I've outfitted everything I would ever need for a garage gym - power rack, rowing machine, full dumbbell set 5-50 lbs, 315 lbs Olympic weight set, trap bar, and too many other misc items to list for well under $3k
I'm with you. Point blank, it is the social aspect. If you are someone who doesn't need that to regularly exercise, it simply isn't worth it.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:20 pm

Okay, I'll bite. I've staved off the Peloton bike for a couple of years, particularly b/c of the monthly fee. Let's face it, lots of folks on this thread will drop 6-8 big ones on a nice bike, so $2400 is not that big a deal. and not a reason to avoid.

Five weeks ago we caved. The wife really wanted one, and we went for it. I was a bit apprehensive. I road and mtn bike, and live in a relatively warm climate in the southeast, so have options most of the year. BUT, I also live in the city, and with a family, getting to where I want to ride has become a lower priority, so I am not on the bike as much as I would like.

So far....It's a hit, for both of us. For those saying the main benefit is the social aspect, I would disagree. That is certainly one of the aspects, as you can do live classes with others, but there is much more. DW loves the HIIT workouts. I am typically an endurance rider. The Peloton has the concept of power zone rides, which I love. I'd be glad to expound, but for the sake of not writing a novel, will not here. There are also other apps included....yoga, meditation, stretching, etc.

As far as model....there is only one. There are packages with accessories that bump up the price. Feel free to PM for what we did.

Side note: I have rowed competitively. The Erg (rowing machine, specifically the Concept II for my reference) is not as conducive, for me, to working out casually and for general fitness. It is an amazing workout, however, to me it does not compare.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:22 pm

I have a spinning bike ($100 from Craigslist) and a set of adjustable dumb bells (5 to 40 lbs). I also have a set of resistance bands for exercises.

If it is too nasty outside to run or bike, I can easily do a number of workouts inside. The spinning bike doesn't take up much space. The weights and bands don't take up much space.

Stretching, yoga type poses, push ups, sit ups/ab crunches, arm curls, tricep curls, overhead press, squats, bench press on the floor, bridges and others.

I can do 1 set if in a hurry, 2 sets and then spin bike, only stretch and spin bike. Sometimes I do 1 set of exercises, spin bike and then do a second set. 10 minutes to 45 minutes+. Just depends on time.

I just do this in the basement family room. No special dedicated space except the spin bike takes up a small portion of the room.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:23 pm

His n Hers gym rooms.

Sole Eliptical (mine)
Bounce mini trampoline (hers)
Total Gym (mine for angled supported squats)
Bowflex (mine)
mini stupid bells (mine)
Yoga Mats
"Bob" dummy
Larger main room for Tai Chi, Chi Kung.

3 flights of stairs. :confused

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:26 pm

I have walked fast for a half hour on a mid-priced treadmill nearly every day for the last 20 years, and then done weight-bearing exercises like squats, push-ups, sit-ups, planks, dumbbells, etc. While doing this exercise I watch episodes of old TV series on Amazon (this month "The Saint" with a pre-James Bond Roger Moore) to keep myself entertained. When I started this project years ago I found that I got bored with exercising outside or inside without the TV. After a few years it became apparent what worked for me, and I have done it consistently. You need to find something that works for you, which may not be the first thing you try. Good luck.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:27 pm

You put the right foot in, you put the right foot out...

MP173

Post by MP173 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:31 pm

My wife's daughter and husband both work crazy long hours. The purchased the Pelaton for Christmas.

She has lost over 25 pounds and really enjoys the workouts. My guess is the machine markets towards that group of people.

As for me, my indoors exercise is to head to the Y and hit the Expresso stationary bike which has a number of routes with hills and difficulties and also classes (not in real time). I find this is pretty close to actual outdoors riding which I do from April - October. I follow that up with a number of stretch and exercises which PT recommended for my total hip replacement (10 weeks and counting).

I enjoy getting out of the house for an hour...understand certain people simply cannot do that.

Ed

Puretaxableindexer

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:34 pm

Exercise machines are not what they used to be. I had a great Schwinn Airdyne Evo (Approx $900) that I loved and it was built very well until the left arm broke off, now the newer ones are even worse. I now ride a Schwinn stationary bike with a 40lb (about $400) wheel that works great. I also jog in place for 30 min on a mini trampoline, I have a Weider universal weight system that I've had for 20 years and use it 3 days a week. I also have a Stamina rowing machine that's OK. I did have a Schwinn Elliptical that I loved a lot, used it 7 days a week until it broke after 1 year. Going forward, I would only buy a weighted flywheel stationary with a speedometer like have now. And I do have a 17 year old Proform treadmill that still works that I use when it's raining/snowing outside. So, a bike, trampoline, universal, treadmill and a rowing machine. And I do use them all, they are not clothes hangers. Exercise is great because it helps market down days.

GCD

Post by GCD » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:34 pm

I'm not anti-social, but I don't like to work out with other people. Nobody is right on my pace, etc. I get my "social" elsewhere.

Exercise is Stairmaster, push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups. I got rid of all my free-weights 2 moves ago.

I love the Stairmaster and have owned one since around 1992. A lot of people don't though. They are easy enough to find in just about any commercial gym if you want to try one out.

Puretaxableindexer

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:38 pm

fishmonger wrote:

Agreed. I think it's a status symbol so they can tell their friends they have a Peloton. I'll take my Schwinn weighted flywheel for $400 and invest the remaining $2600 into VT.

GCD

Post by GCD » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:39 pm

edit.
Last edited by GCD on Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puretaxableindexer

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:41 pm

I read somewhere that when you stop paying their monthly subscription your Peloton will no longer function or function less. Anyone thinking about buying one needs to read the terms of service with those subscriptions.

Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:41 pm

ruanddu wrote:
Hello,

Thank you!
Peloton is life changing. If you in any way like biking ... get it. The only question is the tread or the bike. I started with bike and got both. If you prefer biking start with the bike. If you prefer running get the tread. You're welcome in advance!

A lot of people also really like Hydrow. I thought the price was too big a gamble as I don't know if I'd like a rower but I do know I like biking and running.

Get the Peloton!

Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:43 pm

fishmonger wrote:

It's the classes. They're amazing. Very motivational. We all agree - the BEST exercise equipment is the one you actually use. Probably most people who buy equipment don't use it. The vast majority of Peloton buyers use it regularly. It's very addictive and fun.

Puretaxableindexer

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:43 pm

gtd98765 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:26 pm
I have walked fast for a half hour on a mid-priced treadmill nearly every day for the last 20 years, and then done weight-bearing exercises like squats, push-ups, sit-ups, planks, dumbbells, etc. While doing this exercise I watch episodes of old TV series on Amazon (this month "The Saint" with a pre-James Bond Roger Moore) to keep myself entertained. When I started this project years ago I found that I got bored with exercising outside or inside without the TV. After a few years it became apparent what worked for me, and I have done it consistently. You need to find something that works for you, which may not be the first thing you try. Good luck.

You are right on all points. Good for you.

Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:45 pm

TallBoy29er wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:20 pm
Okay, I'll bite. I've staved off the Peloton bike for a couple of years, particularly b/c of the monthly fee. Let's face it, lots of folks on this thread will drop 6-8 big ones on a nice bike, so $2400 is not that big a deal. and not a reason to avoid.

Five weeks ago we caved. The wife really wanted one, and we went for it. I was a bit apprehensive. I road and mtn bike, and live in a relatively warm climate in the southeast, so have options most of the year. BUT, I also live in the city, and with a family, getting to where I want to ride has become a lower priority, so I am not on the bike as much as I would like.

So far....It's a hit, for both of us. For those saying the main benefit is the social aspect, I would disagree. That is certainly one of the aspects, as you can do live classes with others, but there is much more. DW loves the HIIT workouts. I am typically an endurance rider. The Peloton has the concept of power zone rides, which I love. I'd be glad to expound, but for the sake of not writing a novel, will not here. There are also other apps included....yoga, meditation, stretching, etc.

As far as model....there is only one. There are packages with accessories that bump up the price. Feel free to PM for what we did.

Side note: I have rowed competitively. The Erg (rowing machine, specifically the Concept II for my reference) is not as conducive, for me, to working out casually and for general fitness. It is an amazing workout, however, to me it does not compare.
I mountain bike in SoCal. I'd rather mountain bike every day but the schedule doesn't allow it and frankly I think it's not a good idea to go in the backwoods alone in case of accident or mountain lion. The Peloton lets me get a good hour of cardio in every morning just rolling out of bed. Can't say enough good things about it.

Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:48 pm

Puretaxableindexer wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:38 pm
fishmonger wrote:

Agreed. I think it's a status symbol so they can tell their friends they have a Peloton. I'll take my Schwinn weighted flywheel for $400 and invest the remaining $2600 into VT.
When I was considering purchasing one I asked a friend what he thinks. He said come to my house and check it out. I had no idea he had one. I asked another friend (because it's an expensive purchase) what he thought. He said come to my house and check it out. I had no idea he had one. It turns out around a dozen people I know have them and I never knew. I would bet no one - like no one - buys a Peloton to tell people they have one. It is an amazing motivational workout. Talk with people who have one. They universally love them. And they don't tell people they have one to be big shots. IT's just a great company and a great machine.

Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:50 pm

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:41 pm
I read somewhere that when you stop paying their monthly subscription your Peloton will no longer function or function less. Anyone thinking about buying one needs to read the terms of service with those subscriptions.
The Peloton bike works fine. The monthly subscription is for their classes. You can ride the bike without the classes - I THINK the geographical rides (eg riding Muir woods, San Francisco, etc.) are on the bike without subscription. But the live and recorded classes are the whole reason to buy the bike. You wouldn't want to buy the bike without the subscription. In fact plenty of people buy the subscription without the bike and stream the classes. It's pretty amazing if you like biking or spinning. Check it out in one of their stores.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:50 pm

I'm a big fan of things that I can take with me these days. Four low costs options are:
1) Resistance bands used as a ski erg - attach them to anything sturdy above head and easy to travel with. I'm on the road in a Hotel and will do 45 sec off, 45 sec on intervals for my cardio with it. (Take a look at some videos on youtube)
2) Jump rope - again super easy to travel with.
3) Sprint intervals
4) Burpees

I love Rowing and Mountain Biking, but not good travel options.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:55 pm

TallBoy29er wrote:

There are literally thousands of different workouts online, for free. As someone who is a scientific researcher in this space, every new trend totally confuses me, but almost all of them come down to the social aspect and there is a lot of recent research supporting the idea that socializing is a huge factor in whether or not a large swathe of the population will consistently exercise. There is nothing wrong with it, but it isn't a factor for me.

Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:56 pm

carguyny wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:50 pm
I'm a big fan of things that I can take with me these days. Four low costs options are:
1) Resistance bands used as a ski erg - attach them to anything sturdy above head and easy to travel with. I'm on the road in a Hotel and will do 45 sec off, 45 sec on intervals for my cardio with it. (Take a look at some videos on youtube)
2) Jump rope - again super easy to travel with.
3) Sprint intervals
4) Burpees

I love Rowing and Mountain Biking, but not good travel options.
The Peloton app travels well! I use it for biking and running on trips.

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:56 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:07 pm
fishmonger wrote:

I'm with you. Point blank, it is the social aspect. If you are someone who doesn't need that to regularly exercise, it simply isn't worth it.
Anthropologists in two thousand (or maybe just two) years may surmise these Peloton artifacts were somehow interrelated with our pet rocks, cabbage patch dolls and mood rings. Alternatively, our current time may be remembered as the Early Pelotonian Epoch of the Quaternary Period. Either way, I'll pass, thanks.
Semper Augustus

Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:58 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:55 pm
TallBoy29er wrote:

There are literally thousands of different workouts online, for free. As someone who is a scientific researcher in this space, every new trend totally confuses me, but almost all of them come down to the social aspect and there is a lot of recent research supporting the idea that socializing is a huge factor in whether or not a large swathe of the population will consistently exercise. There is nothing wrong with it, but it isn't a factor for me.
Really it comes down to:
You need resistance exercise.
You need cardio.
You will only do it if you enjoy it so...
You need something you like to do.
The third factor is the hardest to get in. So find something that's a fun workout for you and do it most days. Cross train of course. For a lot of us, Peloton is SO FUN!!!
But I think the most important factor is - find a routine that's fun for you. If it's not fun you won't do it. THEN figure out what to buy.

Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:59 pm

Teague wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:56 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:07 pm
fishmonger wrote:

Anthropologists in two thousand (or maybe just two) years may surmise these Peloton artifacts were somehow interrelated with our pet rocks, cabbage patch dolls and mood rings. Alternatively, our current time may be remembered as the Early Pelotonian Epoch of the Quaternary Period. Either way, I'll pass, thanks.
It's not for everyone. But you have to do cardio and you have to do resistance exercises. Find what's fun for you. I tell my friends ... you're either going to send the money to the cardiologist or to Peloton. Sending it to Peloton is better. You'll lose weight, sleep better, feel better, etc.

Doesn't have to be Peloton per se. But your workout routine has to be fun. For millions (?) of people - that's probably too many - for 100s of thousands of people (?) Peloton is so fun.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:14 pm

An aging Schwinn stationary bike, house stairs, dumbbells, stretching exercises.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself – and you are the easiest person to fool. ~Richard Feynman

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:16 pm

I have squat rack, 350lbs of olympic weights, bench, and a Chuck Norris thing. My wife bought the Chuck Norris thing, but its really great for some exercises.

If I want cardio I ride one of my road bikes or go for a walk.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:43 pm

I'm a 74 retiree and a recovered runner. I belong to a nearby gym and do many of the things that have been mentioned here: spinning classes, elliptical, C2 rower, weight machines and free weights dumbells) in various combinations over the course of a week. The social aspect is moderately important but I primarily go there to "keep the old man out" and would likely go even if nobody would talk to me.

At home, for days I can't get to the gym, I have a really old Nordic Track ski machine, an even older piston-type rower and enough dumbells to do whatever weightlifting I want to do. I much prefer the gym for the social aspect, to ensure I get out of the house on a daily basis and for the better equipment. (The gym is also located next to a Dunkin' Donuts and I occasionally "reward" myself for a good workout.)

I really like spinning classes although I'm not an outdoor cyclist. My daughter and her husband have a Peloton they really like although I haven't tried it yet. Even if I find I love it, I'd be surprised if I ever buy one.

I recently found these 20 minute aerobic, low-impact, high intensity workouts on the web and have done them a few times, both at home and at the gym (prop up my I-Pad in front of me). They are ass-kickers and I really feel it the next day.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8 ... mwwkeZ9mFG

That's my indoor exercise story.
Friar1610

ame

Post by ame » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:49 pm

Including running at the beach, I've exercised less since I bought an exercise machine last year. :oops:

buckeye7983

Post by buckeye7983 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:05 pm

Heard an interview with the Peloton CEO. He said they are not an exercise equipment company. They are a social media company similar to Facebook and the target audience is millenials who prefer the social aspects of their company. Subscription model is important for ongoing revenue stream.

Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:20 pm

Thank you, everyone. This is very helpful to get your recommendations. For one, I never knew about using a trampoline for running in place. That sounds interesting!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:24 pm

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:34 pm
Exercise machines are not what they used to be. I had a great Schwinn Airdyne Evo (Approx $900) that I loved and it was built very well until the left arm broke off, now the newer ones are even worse. I now ride a Schwinn stationary bike with a 40lb (about $400) wheel that works great. I also jog in place for 30 min on a mini trampoline, I have a Weider universal weight system that I've had for 20 years and use it 3 days a week. I also have a Stamina rowing machine that's OK. I did have a Schwinn Elliptical that I loved a lot, used it 7 days a week until it broke after 1 year. Going forward, I would only buy a weighted flywheel stationary with a speedometer like have now. And I do have a 17 year old Proform treadmill that still works that I use when it's raining/snowing outside. So, a bike, trampoline, universal, treadmill and a rowing machine. And I do use them all, they are not clothes hangers. Exercise is great because it helps market down days.
Also had a Schwinn Airdyne for many years until it rusted and I sold it. Used it regularly after one surgery as part of rehab.
Made that whirring sound, like playing cards clipped to a bicycle frame with clothespins. . . .
. . . . whap whap whap against the spokes. . . :confused

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Puretaxableindexer

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:28 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:24 pm
Also had a Schwinn Airdyne for many years until it rusted and I sold it. Used it regularly after one surgery as part of rehab.
Made that whirring sound, like playing cards clipped to a bicycle frame with clothespins. . . .

You are right, it's noisy. The Schwinn Airdyne has to be the nosiest piece of exercise equipment in the world.

Ornery Old Guy

Post by Ornery Old Guy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:31 pm

buckeye7983 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:05 pm
Heard an interview with the Peloton CEO. He said they are not an exercise equipment company. They are a social media company similar to Facebook and the target audience is millenials who prefer the social aspects of their company. Subscription model is important for ongoing revenue stream.
My understanding is subscription IS their revenue stream. I read they make very little from the sale of hardware. Their income is from software - classes. I don't think their target is millennial though. They are expensive. Oh I think of millennials as relatively fresh out of college. Is that true? I don't know. I think the real target is probably adults a little before middle age, middle age, and after, who have money to spend on it and are motivated to get in shape. Of course that's my cohort so there is huge bias! I don't know what young people do nowadays to workout so ...

MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:36 pm

buckeye7983 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:05 pm
If Peloton is a fitness company, then they aren’t worth $8 billion with $1.25 billion in revenues and no profits.

If Peloton is a social media company, then maybe they are worth $8 billion.

WeWorks was a tech company for the same reason. As a tech company losing $1 billion every six months they might be worth $50 billion. As a real estate company losing $1 billion every six months they weren’t even close to being worth $50 billion.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:37 pm

Love the treadmill. Walking is a wonderful exercise. 50 minutes per day, fast walking speed plus incline. Gets the heart pumping pretty good.

Add to that podcasts, at double speed. Can keep up with over 40 podcast streams.

Exercising and getting informed at the same time. A real twofer.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

skeptical

Post by skeptical » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:39 pm

fishmonger wrote:
+1

Cardio and full body workout (leaning towards legs), low impact.

I am partial to Concept2 Model D - professional equipment, will last forever. You can try them at most gyms.

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:50 pm

YouTube app, search Fitness Blender. Hundreds of videos ranging from weights to cardio.

furikake

Post by furikake » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:51 pm

I used to do BodyBoss (Canadian fitness program) and rowing on my c2 rower, until I was diagnosed with my neck problems and also bicep tendonitis, I can't do BodyBoss and I can't row anymore until at least my bicep is healed to row again. So now I do the Peloton cycling. I don't have a Peloton bike, I only have a LifeFitness bike that I got and never used from years ago. A friend of mine has a Peloton bike and a subscription, I believe she could add as many people as she wanted to her subscription, so she added me. No impact on my knees and my neck which is what I need. At 100 rides, they sent me a free Peloton T-shirt. I think the lowest cost subscription is $20/month if you only want to use the Peloton app. I also got a cadence sensor (Wahoo brand, from Amazon) that I link to the app that I use with the Peloton program. It's been great so far, especially since I can't do anything with impact because of my conditions.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:21 pm

Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:28 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:24 pm

You are right, it's noisy. The Schwinn Airdyne has to be the nosiest piece of exercise equipment in the world.
I was assigned to the Pentagon in the mid-80s and was a member of the Pentagon Officers Athletic Club (POAC) which had a big roomful of Schwinn Airdynes. It was really noisy in there during the lunch hour when so many were working out!
Friar1610

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:12 pm

I spend an hour on an elliptical, with a built in tv, at a small gym. I do the first 30 minutes at level 9. The next ten minutes at level 10. The third ten minutes at level 11. Then five minutes at level 12, and the final five minutes at level 13. I then use a chest, incline, and shoulder machine at different weight levels. In warm weather I’ll ride my bike afterwards outside for about an hour. I’m in my late 70s and sometimes it’s hard. I don’t really care for free weights or dumbbells. I find them hard to control.
Last edited by Old Guy on Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:16 pm

friar1610 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:21 pm
I was assigned to the Pentagon in the mid-80s and was a member of the Pentagon Officers Athletic Club (POAC) which had a big roomful of Schwinn Airdynes. It was really noisy in there during the lunch hour when so many were working out!
I, too, worked in the Pentagon during the 1980s, and on rainy days I was one of those guys riding a Schwinn Airdyne. On the nice days I went outside and ran over to the Washington Monument and back. I was a POAC member from 1984 to 2004. The old POAC closed exactly one week before I left the Pentagon to take a job at another Federal agency. I hear the new Pentagon Athletic Club that replaced the POAC is hot and overcrowded.

My personal belief is that you can't do meaningful workouts at home. You need to join a gym.

cwied

Post by cwied » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:54 pm

I’m motivated by competition, so for indoor cycling I primarily use Zwift. The killer feature for me is the ability to race online against others. There’s nothing quite as motivating for me to put in really hard efforts as trying to hold someone else’s wheel and hopefully to outsprint them.

Toadandfriends

Post by Toadandfriends » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:45 am

You might want to consider not getting a machine! I have had an annual subscription to Daily Burn for several years. I love the 365 workouts (new 30 minute workout every day) but I also use the 5 and 10 minute workouts and the yoga classes. It is very inexpensive since I use it 5-6 days a week! I love the variety - flexibility, mobility, balance, strength, cardio and core. You probably want an exercise mat and a couple of weights but that is all you really need. I'm in great shape now! Highly recommend if you like variety and want the simplicity of working out at home. (I take it with me on my Ipad when I travel but use my roku at home.) I pay more to have access to their entire library though I've always been able to purchase at a sale price (around $150 a yr full price for the premium with access to full library). The different trainers and different types of movements have radically changed my fitness level.
Best wishes.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:10 am

Usually I just go to the gym. For $35/month, they have anything I would ever need or want, including Peloton bikes and a swimming pool.

But if I really need to work out at home, I do have a power rack and basic weights. For cardio, I go outside and run or ride my bike. Home cardio equipment tends to be expensive and not nearly as nice as just going outside. If the weather was really, truly terrible and I needed to do cardio, I have a jump rope.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.