Used car purchase - now dreading it

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Thesaints

Re: Used car purchase - now dreading it

Post by Thesaints »

atikovi wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:46 pm
Thesaints wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:27 pm It appears the OP bought a lemon...
A perceived smell isn't actionable as a lemon law defect in any state I know.
Nor is sarcasm
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Thesaints wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:28 pm
Nor is sarcasm
What is sarcasm?
Topic Author
DB2

Post by DB2 »

atikovi wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:17 pm
DB2 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:29 amBy my estimates, I would lose around $5000 on a trade-in.
Did you overpay? That seems like a huge spread.
No, I researched the price given the vehicle, mileage, and zip code; it was about spot on after I talked them down on the price.

$1000 of it is from sales tax I paid.

I also put no money down (5 yr loan). I'll be paying down $286 a month on the principle. So, even drive I can manage to drive it for six months it pays down about $1700 leaving about $3300 from trade-in price.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

atikovi wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:46 pm
Thesaints wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:28 pm
Nor is sarcasm
What is sarcasm?
A use of irony.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

DB2 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:19 am
forgeblast wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:11 am Can you flip the car for what you owe on it and get one you want?
I'm sure I could get more selling it outright versus a trade-in. Just not sure what kind of hassle I might deal with either.

I owe $17,200.

According to Kelly trade-in, it's around $12,000-12,500 for a trade-in.
Who gave you the loan, was it the dealer?

Did you check KBB before you bought it? $5k difference between what you paid and what you can get now is insane
Watty

Post by Watty »

One other possibility is that it is a pet smell from an animal they had in the car.

Pet stores have all sorts of things for handling pet smells so you could read the reviews on those.

Another possibility is that the car was repossessed and the prior owner intentionally did something to cause the smell when they knew that it would soon be repossessed. You might try talking to the dealership to see if they will admit to that being a possibility.
Last edited by Watty on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Hurricane Harvey

What's going to happen to the 300,000 to 500,000 flooded cars destroyed by Hurricane Harvey in Houston and other Texas coastal cities? Odds are pretty good many of them will end up back on the road. ...

..."Unfortunately, some of the flooded vehicles may be purchased at bargain prices, cleaned up and then taken out of state where the VIN (vehicle identification number) is switched and the car is re-titled with no indication it has been damaged," the bureau said.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/aut ... -top-five/

NICB's VINCheck is a free service provided to the public to assist in determining if a vehicle has been reported as stolen, but not recovered, or has been reported as a salvage vehicle by participating NICB member insurance companies.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

fru-gal wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:25 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:00 pm How about Febreeze fabric smell remover. Try it on the seats to see if it helps. Fairly cheap
Febreeze is wretched stuff. I think I'd rather ride in a car that had a cat piss smell than a Febreeze smell.
Febreeze smell dislocates quite quickly. It does have a chemical that binds with many smelly things. I much prefer febreeze to cat piss smell. My dad was a veterinarian and I know the smell of it from an angry cat.
wander

Post by wander »

I guess a passenger got drunk and vomited allover that area in the car before trading it in?
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

F150HD wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:35 pm..."Unfortunately, some of the flooded vehicles may be purchased at bargain prices, cleaned up and then taken out of state where the VIN (vehicle identification number) is switched and the car is re-titled with no indication it has been damaged," the bureau said.[/i]
This isn't the 60's anymore. The VIN is located at a dozen places on modern cars and removing them (at least the decal variety) destroys them.
Topic Author
DB2

Post by DB2 »

manatee2005 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:25 pm
DB2 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:19 am
forgeblast wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:11 am Can you flip the car for what you owe on it and get one you want?
I'm sure I could get more selling it outright versus a trade-in. Just not sure what kind of hassle I might deal with either.

I owe $17,200.

According to Kelly trade-in, it's around $12,000-12,500 for a trade-in.
Who gave you the loan, was it the dealer?

Did you check KBB before you bought it? $5k difference between what you paid and what you can get now is insane
KBB trade in says $12,400 to 13,400. So not down quite as much as I thought.

Dropping off car tomorrow at dealer...will pick up on Sat. We'll see what happens.
Topic Author
DB2

Post by DB2 »

F150HD wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:35 pm
NICB's VINCheck is a free service provided to the public to assist in determining if a vehicle has been reported as stolen, but not recovered, or has been reported as a salvage vehicle by participating NICB member insurance companies.
I checked this out, nothing came up. But I live in the midwest and Carfax showed one owner and vehicle bought locally.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'd look into finding the previous owner. Contrary to what the dealer said, it is not confidential and as another poster mentioned, if you check through the owners manual or just anywhere in all compartments, you will possibly find the owner's info. I have had a dealer give me the previous owner's name and telephone number as I was looking for the original factory wheels for a used car I bought. If I were looking for the previous owner, I'd check my insurance agent. Or the DMV may sell you the information....they seem to sell all of their info to anyone. I would be asking about flood damage.

CarFax can be hopelessly behind. I owned a car for 2 years that had a clean CarFax when I bought it. When I went to sell it, an accident prior to my ownership showed up. It was legit as I already knew from looking at the car what was replaced and found the paint blend line.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
fundseeker

Post by fundseeker »

Hope it works out well. I'd try to get your dealer to provide contact info for the prior owner (not likely) or to at least ask the owner to call you so you can find out what caused the smell so you know how to treat it. I believe I could at least get the dealer to do that much, so I don't make their life very miserable through social media. And, I wouldn't rest until the dealer fixed the smell. They covered that up with fragrance like concealing a mechanical issue, and they should make it right.

Anyway, so what do you get for it being certified?
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

fundseeker wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:58 pm Hope it works out well. I'd try to get your dealer to provide contact info for the prior owner (not likely) or to at least ask the owner to call you so you can find out what caused the smell so you know how to treat it. I believe I could at least get the dealer to do that much, so I don't make their life very miserable through social media. And, I wouldn't rest until the dealer fixed the smell. They covered that up with fragrance like concealing a mechanical issue, and they should make it right.

Anyway, so what do you get for it being certified?
$2000 more in price

Well we got a 1yr warranty as well. Came in handy since the AC broke about a month after we bought the car.
CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds »

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where the valet driver had bad BO. Or as they called it, BBO (beyond body odor).
retire57

Post by retire57 »

I have no advice to offer but just want to say I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. Please return and let us know what transpires.
Marlon Marlin

Post by Marlon Marlin »

Get a strong UV flashlight going in total darkness and find the concealed stains you don't want to know anything about but have to. Take photos and share them with the dealer.
Some people are so poor, all they have is money.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Stuff like this is why I bought a brand new 2019 Mazda in December. The old saying of used cars lose 1/3 of the value as soon as you drive them off the lot is not true anymore, especially for Hondas and Toyotas.
mancich

Post by mancich »

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

If the dealership is part of a larger chain, I would immediately contact their corporate office / owner and explain the situation. You shouldn't have to take a $5,000 loss because the car stinks. They clearly knew it stunk because of all the lemon smell they doused it in prior to your arrival.

If that doesn't work I would see if a mechanic could examine the vehicle for flood damage. That's actionable under lemon law.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
pivoprussia

Post by pivoprussia »

duplicate
Last edited by pivoprussia on Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
pivoprussia

Post by pivoprussia »

OP - sorry to hear about the issues you are having.

I'd highly recommend contacting Steve Lehto from Lehto's Law

http://lehtoslaw.com/

He is an attorney from Michigan that does podcasts, frequently about car issues.
He probably won't represent you but can give you some advice of how to handle the situation.
He actually answers his phone and emails himself.

And btw, "certified pre-owned" means nothing except an extended warranty. Listen to a few of his episodes and
you will learn dealers have a license to screw you and get away with it.

Good luck
Deblog

Post by Deblog »

We had a Honda Civic we bought new and it started stinking really bad several years in. We had no pets in it and never spilled anything. My husband kept it immaculate. Had it detailed, still terrible. Took it back and they removed seats etc. there was a pile of Brown “goo” under rear seat. Was probably a mouse that got into car and died and rotted there. Once that was cleaned up, no issue and had car over 200,000 miles.
Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 »

Just about every car I have bought recently has had a bad smell, smoke, dog, you name it.

1. Air the car out when possible. Roll windows down in sun and leave open.
2. Clean all the plastic with cleaner, Really work on this.
3. Vacuum all carpet well especially in between seats and in cracks. Remove or lift up seats that are moveable. You may find some "smell" treasure.
4. Put a can of coffee with some holes punched in the top in the car.

Give it 2-3 months and I have always had my smells go away after all this.

God bless.
"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

Chris001122 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:55 am Just about every car I have bought recently has had a bad smell, smoke, dog, you name it.

1. Air the car out when possible. Roll windows down in sun and leave open.
2. Clean all the plastic with cleaner, Really work on this.
3. Vacuum all carpet well especially in between seats and in cracks. Remove or lift up seats that are moveable. You may find some "smell" treasure.
4. Put a can of coffee with some holes punched in the top in the car.

Give it 2-3 months and I have always had my smells go away after all this.

God bless.
Similar experience. Ground coffee does help a lot.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Sorry about your issue. I love Honda. Honda’s have such strong resale value that I find it often makes little sense to buy late model used vs new.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

I'm surprised how many people suggest selling the car privately. Are you all suggesting OP covers up the issue or discloses it?
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

FI4LIFE wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:27 am I'm surprised how many people suggest selling the car privately. Are you all suggesting OP covers up the issue or discloses it?
People suggest he sell privately because he would get more than trading in. And people perceive smells differently. If a buyer doesn't notice or care about the smell, no problem.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

dsmclone wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:00 am ...

Similar experience. Ground coffee does help a lot.
Wouldn't the car smell like coffee then? I love coffee but don't want to smell it in my car. (although I admit it would be better than a foul odor that I was trying to eliminate)
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

You might also try Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator. It is marketed for pet odors (and is very effective for that) but could be useful for your car. Amazon sells it. :happy
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Call your insurance company and ask them what cleaning services they use in your area. They regularly have claims on cars that have smoke damage, that people have died in, vomit, etc, you name it. They'll likely know of a service that can get rid of whatever you're smelling.
kgw

Post by kgw »

I had a similar problem. Try newvinair it worked for me.
bb

Post by bb »

I have no idea if possible but could you document the issue, get corroboration,
sell the car and try to recover cost in small claims court?
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

DB2 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:29 am Any thoughts on how to proceed? I think it's just going to come down to me living with the car or taking the hit on selling it. :( I've never encountered an issue like this before. Very disappointing to say the least.
I think the more you think about it, the problem seems to get worse. I think it's your perceived value of the used car you got.

Pay $100 to the interior detail work. Then drive with the windows down for a couple of weeks. The problem will go away soon.

Let's think of this scenario: You bought a brand new car and your toddler puked and it stunk up your car. Would you have the same reaction as you have now? You still go through the process of clean up the car and air it out... But would you have the same regret as you have now?
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

https://youtu.be/-pEhqiCD27E

Go to the source. Smell the salesman.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

atikovi wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:32 amIf a buyer doesn't notice or care about the smell, no problem.
That is what started this thread.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

greg24 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:41 am
atikovi wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:32 amIf a buyer doesn't notice or care about the smell, no problem.
That is what started this thread.
Apparently you're half right. Find a buyer that doesn't care.
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

I would install Katzkins leather on the seats as I hate fabric seats. This would take care of the stains and also remove any smell that may be emanating from the fabric covers. Plus then you will have leather seats. Buy new floormats as they are cheap and have the carpet professionally cleaned. I bet the smell will be all gone.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

H-Town wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:37 am
DB2 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:29 am Any thoughts on how to proceed? I think it's just going to come down to me living with the car or taking the hit on selling it. :( I've never encountered an issue like this before. Very disappointing to say the least.
I think the more you think about it, the problem seems to get worse. I think it's your perceived value of the used car you got.

Pay $100 to the interior detail work. Then drive with the windows down for a couple of weeks. The problem will go away soon.

Let's think of this scenario: You bought a brand new car and your toddler puked and it stunk up your car. Would you have the same reaction as you have now? You still go through the process of clean up the car and air it out... But would you have the same regret as you have now?
Well put! I was thinking along the same lines, but couldn't put it into words.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Two things to add since I think this topic has already been pretty well barbecued: 1) Kind of a long shot, but they are supposed to go thru a standard, detailed, lengthy, inspection checklist before giving a car the certified pre-owned designation. Should they have caught something like this based on the checklist? They should have provided you with this checklist, or at least shown it to you. If they didn't, you should be able to get one either at the dealership or on line. Might you have some kind of recourse if this is covered on the checklist and they missed it? Theoretically, you paid more based on the fact that the car was supposed to have beent carefully inspected, and was certified pre-owned based on the inspection. Maybe you could say that based on this problem, they didn't do the inspection the way they were supposed to. 2) If the stains on the seats are bothering you, and it turns out that the stains aren't causing the smell, some decent looking seat covers are super cheap. I don't know how they make any money on them. I just bought two fake leather seat covers for $40, and they look pretty good. Recently I bought a used car with light-colored fabric seats with no stains. I went ahead and got the covers right away because I knew the seats would get stained if I didn't. I can just take the covers off when I go to sell it, and the seats should look like new.
pivoprussia

Post by pivoprussia »

"they are supposed to go thru a standard, detailed, lengthy, inspection checklist before giving a car the certified pre-owned designation"

Nope. Certified pre-owned is nothing more than an extended warranty. It's all hype!

See my earlier post about Lehto's Law. He has great podcasts on consumer law including the meaning of "certified pre-owned".
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

I went through this with a Toyota dealership after buying a CPO Highlander. After 2 months, the paint on the hood started flaking off. Per the CPO requirements, the vehicle must have factory quality paint or better to qualify, so it shouldn’t have. Toyota ignored me for months. Finally, I filed a BBB claim and went on a social media crusade. Within a week, the dealer was repainting the entire front end. Don’t discount that being a possibility.
For the love of God, stick to your plan!!!
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Also, you might try complaining about what happened on Dealer Rater. I had pretty good luck with that recently.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

MillennialFinance19 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:14 pm I went through this with a Toyota dealership after buying a CPO Highlander. After 2 months, the paint on the hood started flaking off. Per the CPO requirements, the vehicle must have factory quality paint or better to qualify, so it shouldn’t have. Toyota ignored me for months. Finally, I filed a BBB claim and went on a social media crusade. Within a week, the dealer was repainting the entire front end. Don’t discount that being a possibility.
So in the end would you say the CPO designation helped you get it fixed, even though you had to go thru the BBB? Did you include the info about CPO requirements in your BBB complaint?

I wonder if going to the manufacturer would have helped in your situation, or the situation of the original poster; i.e. complaining to company headquarters about the dealership.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

pivoprussia wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:57 am OP - sorry to hear about the issues you are having.

I'd highly recommend contacting Steve Lehto from Lehto's Law

http://lehtoslaw.com/

He is an attorney from Michigan that does podcasts, frequently about car issues.
He probably won't represent you but can give you some advice of how to handle the situation.
He actually answers his phone and emails himself.

And btw, "certified pre-owned" means nothing except an extended warranty. Listen to a few of his episodes and
you will learn dealers have a license to screw you and get away with it.

Good luck
Thanks for posting this. :happy I found his Youtube helpful on this topic. It makes me very hesitant to buy a CPO vehicle now (although I'm sure some dealers are more ethical vs. others).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOH8jXTwELg

He states that "CPO" has essentially NO legal meaning FWIW.
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

I have heard good reports from my sister using Odoban on a similar used car problem. Nuttin but 5 star ratings on Amazon. It kills bacteria and deodorizes.

https://www.amazon.com/OdoBan-Disinfect ... merReviews
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:05 pm
MillennialFinance19 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:14 pm I went through this with a Toyota dealership after buying a CPO Highlander. After 2 months, the paint on the hood started flaking off. Per the CPO requirements, the vehicle must have factory quality paint or better to qualify, so it shouldn’t have. Toyota ignored me for months. Finally, I filed a BBB claim and went on a social media crusade. Within a week, the dealer was repainting the entire front end. Don’t discount that being a possibility.
So in the end would you say the CPO designation helped you get it fixed, even though you had to go thru the BBB? Did you include the info about CPO requirements in your BBB complaint?

I wonder if going to the manufacturer would have helped in your situation, or the situation of the original poster; i.e. complaining to company headquarters about the dealership.
Absolutely. My complaint referenced the CPO language verbatim. I had already notified corporate prior to this, so the dealer was likely hearing from them as well as the BBB simultaneously.
For the love of God, stick to your plan!!!
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

unclescrooge wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:04 pm
fru-gal wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:25 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:00 pm How about Febreeze fabric smell remover. Try it on the seats to see if it helps. Fairly cheap
Febreeze is wretched stuff. I think I'd rather ride in a car that had a cat piss smell than a Febreeze smell.
Why do you say that?

I would never choose cat piss over anything.
Febreeze has a strong perfume smell and once used on anything never goes away.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Time to go to small claims and claim the difference in the value you will lose in selling this car. They knowingly and systematically hid the smell from you and did not disclose it. You'll have a good chance of winning in front of a single judge when it is car dealer vs consumer. They may even settle or take the car back.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.