Do You Avoid Advertisements & Commercials?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
barnaclebob

Re: Do You Avoid Advertisements & Commercials?

Post by barnaclebob »

beyou wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:18 am
barnaclebob wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:17 pm Ad free Hulu is money well spent.
I tried it but there are so many exceptions I got annoyed at every exception and eventually stopped paying for this.
I haven't watched many shows with exceptions lately. I thought it was only an ad the beginning and end of a show.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Apple MacBook: Wipr plus Lockdown plus DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials. Work well. Sometimes will run into a site that requires disabling Lockdown momentarily for a pop-up to function.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I use Ghostery for blocking ads on websites. Some websites detect that and require you to unblock ads to see their content. Occasionally, something will not work properly on Chrome with Ghostery and I have to use another browser to see the content if I want to see it that bad.

I hate TV commercials and avoid them when possible. I watch most TV using DVR. I do not watch as much live sports as I use to because of the insane number of commercials. I remember the days when basketball and football games were free flowing with very few interruptions. Nowadays, they are just a lot of stops and starts. IMO, it affects the quality of the games. Younger people do not understand that because they have never experienced it.
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

carolinaman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:51 pm I do not watch as much live sports as I use to because of the insane number of commercials. I remember the days when basketball and football games were free flowing with very few interruptions. Nowadays, they are just a lot of stops and starts. IMO, it affects the quality of the games.
DH and I attended an NFL game a couple of years ago. At one point he asked me "Why are all the players just standing around on the field? Why aren't they running the next play?" I had to remind him that the game was being televised and that we were probably waiting for a commercial to end. When we watch a game at home on TV, I start recording the game, then start watching after 15 to 30 minutes and fast forward through the commercials so the action never stops. The last thing DH expected to be doing while watching the game at the stadium was waiting for a commercial to end!
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome »

khh wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:05 pm I pay $10 a month for ad-free You Tube. Well worth it considering the amount of time I spend there.
Just install uBlock. You won't see YouTube ads and you can keep your $10.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

I mute a lot on TV as well, nearly all commercials.

I don't mind some advertising on sites if its static and not a little video or gif bogging the site down as it loads. Some sites its just overkill

Yahoo is the worst for ads....its gotten really, really bad.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Thegame14 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:02 pmI pretty much exclusively watch DVR, saves me 15 minutes per hour of TV watching
Same with us. We do let go of the FF button when we see cute animals. Cat food, kitty litter, Geico woodchucks, Lactaid "big dogs"...
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

RJC wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:36 pm
unclescrooge wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:28 am
RJC wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:08 pm Is there a way to block ads on your mobile device? I find that to be much more challenging (e.g. NYT, FB).
I had the same problem.

I downloaded a DNS app called Hosts Go and edited the hosts file. Anytime a request to adclick, taboola, etc is made is replaces it with a dummy IP address. This has removed most of the ads.

The downside is the app can now see all your internet traffic. So I only turn it on when needed and then turn it off.
I just downloaded Firefox Focus and it appears to work with iOS Safari. So far so good!

Ps. Still doesn't eliminate FB sponsored posts but works well with NYT and other news sites (e.g. Vox, WaPo).
Love Fire Fox Focus
Pierre Delecto

Post by Pierre Delecto »

Yes — whenever possible.
Aw0k3n

Post by Aw0k3n »

several paid services do not offer ads. we do not watch live TV except for news or weather if something acute is going on. Netflix and Disney plus are ad free. so are few other services. For Streaming TV services, usually watch the DVR version rather than VOD (video on demand) version since you can skip the ads on the former, not on latter.
Poorman

Post by Poorman »

khh wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:05 pm I pay $10 a month for ad-free You Tube. Well worth it considering the amount of time I spend there.
For the pc i use adblock plus. free 30 seconds to install. no more ads
AAA

Post by AAA »

Thegame14 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:02 pm except for Yankees games, I pretty much exclusively watch DVR, saves me 15 minutes per hour of TV watching plus avoids an unnecessary wanting to spend money on something I may see.
Just curious, why not also baseball games to skip through the commercials between innings, the relief pitcher warming up, etc? For a sports event I usually will record it and start watching when it's about halfway through.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

AAA wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:46 pmFor a sports event I usually will record it and start watching when it's about halfway through.
Same here. Not only do I zip over the commercials etc., I also normally play the game itself at the first fast-forward speed. On my TiVo, this is about 2X-3X normal speed, and smooth (not jerky). I lose the audio, but I don't usually need the announcers' commentary anyway. The informational graphics are usually enough. The fast speed forces me to pay attention to the game. If something interesting happens or I don't understand it, I back up and replay it at normal speed to get the commentary.
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!
Momus

Post by Momus »

Adblock/Ublock = 0 ads for Youtube on my PC.

Youtube Vanced = 0 ads Youtube on my phone. Another reason I won't ever buy an iPhone.

I don't watch TV. Netflix only for $4/mo sharing with some strangers off Reddit.

Not sure why you guys are paying for Youtube premium :oops:
Trism

Post by Trism »

Chip Munk wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:15 pm
carolinaman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:51 pm I do not watch as much live sports as I use to because of the insane number of commercials. I remember the days when basketball and football games were free flowing with very few interruptions. Nowadays, they are just a lot of stops and starts. IMO, it affects the quality of the games.
DH and I attended an NFL game a couple of years ago. At one point he asked me "Why are all the players just standing around on the field? Why aren't they running the next play?" I had to remind him that the game was being televised and that we were probably waiting for a commercial to end. When we watch a game at home on TV, I start recording the game, then start watching after 15 to 30 minutes and fast forward through the commercials so the action never stops. The last thing DH expected to be doing while watching the game at the stadium was waiting for a commercial to end!
We live in a place where college football is huge. We went to one game and will never go to another.

Sports bore me anyway, but at least when you are at home you can conveniently access the restroom, and food, and beverages.

And at home, during the endless commercial breaks you don't have to watch insipid arena ceremonies like the 1955 water polo team captain receiving an award. :shock:
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

Surprised that nobody recommended pihole. https://pi-hole.net/
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

Reference
DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings »

capitalhockey wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:34 pm
In the meantime, I am willing to pay for a software to block out ads on my computer. Is there a product out there that does this?
Do you mean the bloatware that comes loaded on a computer when you buy it? If so, buy your next computer from a company that does not install bloatware such as Digital Storm or Velocity Micro.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

Momus wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:50 am Netflix only for $4/mo sharing with some strangers off Reddit.
I wouldn't brag about that - it's a direct violation of their usage rules. Netflix is well aware they're losing revenue from people doing this and is actively looking into shutting it down. Seriously....Netflix is cheap enough and commercial free - best bargain going and you're a BH - probably have a nice healthy nest egg. Do you really need to cheat them out of $4-5 a month? Honest subscribers always end up having to shoulder the cost.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Add my vote for ublock origin for computer, mute button for tv, fast fowarding for many videos and blockada on my phone.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Yes DVR,I avoid ads at all cost, just a waste if my time.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Purchased our first TiVo the week they came out, I think in 1996. Been using TiVo exclusively ever since. Love the skip feature and use it religiously. Haven’t seen a tv commercial in years.

Don’t understand how people can sit through so many brain dead mindless irritating commercials and not have their head explode.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

I PVR, ad block and mute the TV — annoyance 80% solved... the other 20% of the time I can’t be bothered.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

This thread certainly touched a nerve ... lots of feedback, most of which are similar to what I would say.

A couple of things I didn't see mentioned in a quick skim of the many replies ...

In terms of internet ads, I'm not bothered much by static ads. It's the ones that move that bug the heck out of me, whether it's auto-play videos or animated gifs or stuff that pops up in front of what I was trying to read. Humans evolved as both predator and prey, and as such we're extremely responsive to movement, it's hard-wired into us to make it really really hard to ignore. I'm surprised at how little this gets mentioned; it's certainly a big pet peeve of mine. I would consider going without an ad blocker if not for animated adverts.

Another thing I've not seen mentioned in this thread is similar to the gas pump ads --- it's when you go into a hardware store or something like Bed Bath and Beyond and just walking along the aisle you automatically trigger advertisement videos that start up. Sometimes I feel like I lurch away from one as quick as I can only to set off another. It feels like they're trying to drive me out of their store. Yet --- it clearly must be a net win for them, so perhaps I'm the one that's out of step.

Yes, capitalism has all sorts of benefits, but this is certainly one of its faults.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

AAA wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:46 pm
Thegame14 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:02 pm except for Yankees games, I pretty much exclusively watch DVR, saves me 15 minutes per hour of TV watching plus avoids an unnecessary wanting to spend money on something I may see.
Just curious, why not also baseball games to skip through the commercials between innings, the relief pitcher warming up, etc? For a sports event I usually will record it and start watching when it's about halfway through.
because it is a live event and the score is published on sites and my phone and takes the fun out of it knowing the outcome.
AAA

Post by AAA »

Thegame14 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:59 am
because it is a live event and the score is published on sites and my phone and takes the fun out of it knowing the outcome.
Right. When I record a game I'm careful not to listen to the sports channel on the car radio when I'm out and I tell my wife when I return to not tell me what happened if she knows.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

AAA wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:04 pm
Right. When I record a game I'm careful not to listen to the sports channel on the car radio when I'm out and I tell my wife when I return to not tell me what happened if she knows.
or I get a text or IM from someone in my fantasy baseball league
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

Resistance is futile. Accept the dystopian future we are all headed for as portrayed in Idiocracy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clYwX8Z43zg
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

jabberwockOG wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:07 pm Purchased our first TiVo the week they came out, I think in 1996. Been using TiVo exclusively ever since. Love the skip feature and use it religiously. Haven’t seen a tv commercial in years.

Don’t understand how people can sit through so many brain dead mindless irritating commercials and not have their head explode.
We bought our TiVo in 2010 and have been zapping the ads ever since. (We had a DVR from the cable company before that, but we cut the cord). We bought a lifetime TiVo subscription and our TiVo is still running! I did have to replace a fan when its bearing failed but otherwise no problems. That cost me five bucks. It’s amazing the hard drive is still spinning after ten years!

We also like the skip feature but it’s only available on national news programs and on 60 Minutes — and only sporadically, it’s unpredictable whether it will be available, even on the same show on different days.

I also block ads on my mobile devices. I’ll often see a banner asking me to turn off the blocker. I always refuse and sometimes the content is then blocked and sometimes not.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

My computer once crashed after I accidentally clicked on an ad by a loan company on the CNN news page. I had to pay $150 to a computer guy to start up my computer again, lost some files. This indicated to me that advertisers do not really know what malware is in their ads, and do not care. Since then I use Adblock Plus and will leave any site when they do not accept my use of ABP.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

It seems commercial breaks are getting ever longer, and the programming shorter. Pretty soon the actual program will instead be called programming breaks from the commercials - I think the Super Bowl has already gotten there. :happy

Watched a couple of programs this weekend with Sling, was able to fast forward through a lot of commercials (often 5 minutes or so for each commercial break). Probably wouldn't watch at all if I couldn't do this. One of them was the newest episode of BBC's Seven Worlds One Planet. It's blocked at 90 minutes on BBC America, but I'm pretty sure they show it in one hour in the UK, without commercials, so fully 1/3 of the time is commercials. Even when I watch a program "live," I'll often record it with the DVR function and start watching late so that I can fast forward through commercials and "catch up" by the end of the program.

On a related note - Sling went up in price by $5/mo largely to add a certain "news" channel, but they also now include 10 hours for DVR for everyone (you can still pay $5/mo for 50 hours).
22twain

Post by 22twain »

AAA wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:46 pm [Just curious, why not also baseball games to skip through the commercials between innings, the relief pitcher warming up, etc? For a sports event I usually will record it and start watching when it's about halfway through.
The way I do it (and apparently AAA also) is to start watching from the beginning while the game is still in progress. If I do it right, I "catch up" completely near the end of the game, so I watch the last part live. I can manage to stay off sports web sites for the hour or so between when the game starts and when I start watching. After that, I'm too busy with the remote to fiddle with my phone. 8-)
beehivehave

Post by beehivehave »

The more heavily advertised something is, usually the poorer the quality:
Fast food vs. good restaurants.
Sugary colored carbonated water (aka pop) vs. fruit juices.
Lite beer vs. real beer.
Processed foods vs. fresh produce.
New wonder drugs vs. tried and true medications.
Ambulance chasing lawyers vs. competent ethical lawyers.
Financial "advisors" vs. low priced mutual funds.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

A few weeks back I was researching some veterinary conditions and treatment options for my dog and now every time I watch YouTube I get an add for a Veterinary forum because Google thinks I am a Veterinarian. Annoying. I wish ad block was an option for my Samsung Smart TV.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

I delay shows by 25 minutes on the home flat screen, fast forward through the commercials.