Do You Avoid Advertisements & Commercials?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
capitalhockey

Do You Avoid Advertisements & Commercials?

Post by capitalhockey »

I was wondering if there are folks like me who actively seek to avoid advertisement and commercials in my daily life. I happily pay for streaming services with no ads and also pay for DVR services so I can fast forward commercials. For the few occasions when live TV is the only option, I put the sound on mute during commercial breaks and do something else (bathroom, refill cup, check email on phone, etc).

I feel like it's getting increasing difficult to avoid ads now. They are everywhere in public places and online on your phone/computer/tablet. Even reading the online newspaper with my paid membership subscription, I am subjected to pop-up and side bar ads. When you visit websites, there are ads on the top, bottom and anywhere they can squeeze on the screen. When I watch youtube, there will be embedded commercials every 2 mins or so. With your computer cookies, the companies will customize ads from the sites you visited. If I look up a sweater on Amazon, I will keep seeing it on every other pages I visit. Even when I ride public transportation, I am force to look at ads on the sides of the subway. I try to divert my eyes elsewhere or just close them during my ride to work. It kinda of reminded me of that Black Mirror episode where digital ads will follow us everywhere and pop up on our visual fields in every aspect of our lives.

In the meantime, I am willing to pay for a software to block out ads on my computer. Is there a product out there that does this?
JoeRetire

Re: Do You Avoid Advertisements & Commercials?

Post by JoeRetire »

capitalhockey wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:34 pm I was wondering if there are folks like me who actively seek to avoid advertisement and commercials in my daily life. I happily pay for streaming services with no ads and also pay for DVR services so I can fast forward commercials. For the few occasions when live TV is the only option, I put the sound on mute during commercial breaks and do something else (bathroom, refill cup, check email on phone, etc).
Too much work, can't be bothered.
In the meantime, I am willing to pay for a software to block out ads on my computer. Is there a product out there that does this?
Yes. A quick Google search will turn up many.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

except for Yankees games, I pretty much exclusively watch DVR, saves me 15 minutes per hour of TV watching plus avoids an unnecessary wanting to spend money on something I may see.
go140point6

Post by go140point6 »

You don't need to pay. uBlock Origin (and many others, but this is what I use) is a plug-in for all major browsers. Just install and stop seeing almost all ads. Every once in a while you might hit a site that detects that you are running an ad blocker, but for the most part, it works great and is set it and forget it.

I run a pi-hole (free) on a Raspberry Pi (very low cost computer the size of deck of cards) that acts like an ad-blocking plugin for my entire network. This keeps most of the ads away from my kids as well, when they are using certain streaming services (i.e. You Tube) on our TV. But my four year old knows to hit the skip button when ads slip in.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

One of the reasons you should support BH. I've never seen an ad on this website.

If it's not news on BH or one other site I browse, I don't read it. :D :D (tongue-in-cheek, of course)
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Over the years, I have developed the ability to completely tune out commercial advertising, both on TV and on the internet.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Yes, as this part of Capitalism that upsets me. No control over false marketing, and they go for it. I despise it.
How can all of my local TV stations have been named top news stations. More like top advertising stations maybe.

Car ads day long.
Our we suppose to buy monthly?
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Ad free Hulu is money well spent.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I just ignore them. No interest in purchasing their goods/services anyways.

Only thing I do have setup is Adblock on my browsers.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

I avoid ads. I don't watch TV and I have an ad blocker on my browser (although blocking Facebook ads is its biggest job). The problem is I feel quite cut off from popular culture. The whole brouhaha about ads on Facebook just leaves me puzzled since I never see any ads. Same thing with political ads on TV. I read in the paper that such-and-such a political ad is saturating the airwaves, but I never see it. Makes me feel like I'm missing a big part of the discussion.
telemark

Post by telemark »

The problem with advertising isn't just that it's annoying or possibly misleading. The real problem, in my humble but long-held opinion, is the corrosive effect it has on any medium that relies on it, driving content relentlessly in the direction of whatever produces the most ad revenue. I'm not old enough to remember the early days of broadcast TV, but I've read some of the commentary on it: how wonderful it was going to be, how it would transform the world into a better place. Skip forward a few decades and it had become a "vast wasteland", and that was still decades before so-called reality TV. The same thing is happening now on the internet.

Putting aside my rant, on the actionable side setting up a pi-hole is the most comprehensive way to block this, since it works for every program running on every device on your network. I haven't made the effort to do this, because uBlock Origin has been good enough for me.

P.S. Even if you only visit reputable web sites, hacked advertising servers are a common vector for malware. Just say no.
khh

Post by khh »

I pay $10 a month for ad-free You Tube. Well worth it considering the amount of time I spend there.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

A pretty well known hack for avoiding ads on You Tube is to skip to just before the end of the video, let it play out, and then click replay. This should avoid all ads on the replay.
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

I see very few ads in my life, but I don't watch TV, I'm not on social media much, and I use Flashblock and Adblock on my computer. If I could block that little bolded "message" that appears at the top of my email inbox, I don't think I'd ever see an ad. Sometimes I can close the email app before it appears - it seems to take 5-10 seconds to analyze my cookies and decide which "message" to send me and I can usually close it while it's crunching the data.

We were driving in another state recently and blown away by all the billboards along the highway. Very ugly and obnoxious and something that's not common where we live.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

capitalhockey wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:34 pmIn the meantime, I am willing to pay for a software to block out ads on my computer. Is there a product out there that does this?
AdBlock and AdBlock Plus browser extensions. They block 99.8% of ads. I never see Youtube ads.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

khh wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:05 pm I pay $10 a month for ad-free You Tube. Well worth it considering the amount of time I spend there.
For five bucks more, you get it for six accounts, along with Google Music/YouTube Music. We're three years on, and can never go back. There are only four of us, but still well worth it.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

The only shows that I watch that are "live" are sports and news. Anything else that I watch has either been recorded on the DVR, or I have found it on YouTube or Amazon Prime Video.

When there is a commercial break on a live show, I do anything but watch the commercial.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

go140point6 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:08 pm You don't need to pay. uBlock Origin (and many others, but this is what I use) is a plug-in for all major browsers. Just install and stop seeing almost all ads. Every once in a while you might hit a site that detects that you are running an ad blocker, but for the most part, it works great and is set it and forget it.
I rely on this (uBlock Origin) and my DVR to avoid 90% of all ads I would otherwise be exposed to on a regular basis. I despise ads and refuse to watch them or be subjected to them in any way whenever I can avoid it. Thus, I never listen to the radio in my car anymore and I diligently avoid watching any streaming TV service that's ad-supported. The ads of today are so bad and so cringe-worthy that I can almost feel my brain cells dying and rotting away whenever I'm forced to endure one. Makes me long for the "good old days" of pleasant, feel-good ads like the classic "I'd like to buy the world a Coke".
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

I actively try to avoid advertising. Not because I'm against advertising, but because the marketers have made most advertising obnoxious, and with modern technology they try to track you.

I use Adblock in all my browsers. I do it to mainly to eliminate obnoxious ads, but also to prevent the possibility of drive-by malware ads. It's unfortunate that it also blocks non-intrusive ads which I generally don't mind, but there are just too many bad advertisers out there, so they all lose me.

I also use Privacy Badger in my browsers. This blocks tracking cookies and other kinds of trackers. It helps prevent advertisers from following you around the internet, so you're less likely to see the same ad appearing everywhere.

I use Firefox which has some of these privacy protections built in. I also use a Firefox extension called Facebook Container, which stops Facebook from tracking you all over the internet. Once I did this, my Facebook ads (which my ad blocker is unable to block due to the escalating wars between ad servers and ad blockers) evolved into mostly generic ads rather than ads related to pages I've recently visited. I call that a victory!

I don't watch commercial TV any more, nor do I listen to commercial radio. Mainly because the ads are intrusive, often louder than the show content, and often obnoxious.

I pay for Youtube Premium so I can listen to ad-free Youtube Music and view ad-free Youtube videos. I pay for Sirius/XM in the car so I can listen to mostly ad-free music. I intend my next car to have Android Auto Wireless to conveniently stream audio from my phone so I won't need Sirius/XM.

I'm sure there are many more things I do to actively avoid advertising. If the advertisers would grow up and respect my time, intelligence, privacy, eyes, and ears, then maybe I wouldn't try to block so many ads. But that's probably never happening so the war shall never end.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Yes, for years
No tv, no cable
Pay for YouTube 9.99 month stream
No terrestrial radio
Spotify plan
Netflix
Subscribe to washington post, use adblocker
I do my best to avoid "ad delivery systems"
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:16 pm Over the years, I have developed the ability to completely tune out commercial advertising, both on TV and on the internet.
I thought it was just me. I have to make a conscious effort to watch the ads during the Super Bowl. Even then I usually can't recall them when someone talks about one.

I'm not as adept on the internet. I find them distracting, but they remain out of my focus when I do see one. I do use uBlock Origin to avoid the distractions as much as possible.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I can mentally tune out the ads on my computer. I don't really notice them. Sometimes I will resize my browser if they are distracting.
I don't have cable TV, so that eliminates the ads and the monthly cost.
The thing I find REALLY annoying are those TV screens in the grocery checkout line and on the gas pump. You cannot turn them off, and the volume is too loud.
I just realized, by usually buying my gas at Costco and buying food at Costco, I can avoid those annoying TVs.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

No, but I do mute some commercials I find irritating. I always mute this commercial because the song gets stuck in my head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgmJ_ivEVvw
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

If I'm watching TV I'll just hit the pause button, wait a few minutes and just speed forward to the next segment of the TV show or movie; problem solved.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:29 pm No, but I do mute some commercials I find irritating. I always mute this commercial because the song gets stuck in my head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgmJ_ivEVvw
So you just decided to knowingly lob the grenade anyway.... :P
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

capitalhockey wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:34 pm I was wondering if there are folks like me who actively seek to avoid advertisement and commercials in my daily life. I happily pay for streaming services with no ads and also pay for DVR services so I can fast forward commercials. For the few occasions when live TV is the only option, I put the sound on mute during commercial breaks and do something else (bathroom, refill cup, check email on phone, etc).

I feel like it's getting increasing difficult to avoid ads now. They are everywhere in public places and online on your phone/computer/tablet. Even reading the online newspaper with my paid membership subscription, I am subjected to pop-up and side bar ads. When you visit websites, there are ads on the top, bottom and anywhere they can squeeze on the screen. When I watch youtube, there will be embedded commercials every 2 mins or so. With your computer cookies, the companies will customize ads from the sites you visited. If I look up a sweater on Amazon, I will keep seeing it on every other pages I visit. Even when I ride public transportation, I am force to look at ads on the sides of the subway. I try to divert my eyes elsewhere or just close them during my ride to work. It kinda of reminded me of that Black Mirror episode where digital ads will follow us everywhere and pop up on our visual fields in every aspect of our lives.

Yes, I avoid all advertisements and commercials.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I have a mental ad blocker. I just skip the advertising banner because I know I am not the target audience. That is, I won't be swayed by any of it and online advertising is rarely entertaining. Annoying YouTube ads? I have no idea what it was for, only if I was allowed to skip or had to sit through the whole thing.

I remember a mini action movie ad during the Super Bowl, but I have no clue what was being advertised.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:16 pm Over the years, I have developed the ability to completely tune out commercial advertising, both on TV and on the internet.
+1. And in the newspaper, too. (Yes, some of us still read them.) Typical conversation:

Spouse: Did you see the ad for //whatever// in the Globe?
Me: No; today's Globe?
Spouse: yes, in the sports section; it was a full-page ad; I'm surprised you missed it.
Me: Well, I did. Should I go back and try to find it?
Spouse: Never mind.
Friar1610
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

I do the things already mentioned. I use Adblock Plus on Firefox. I find animated online ads especially bothersome.

We have a DVR and we fast forward through the commercials, except for the "Slow Turkey" series of commercials for a smoking cessation product. Not only do we watch them but we often rewind and watch them a second time to catch more of the details. The turkey is amazingly detailed with 1,000 animated feathers and each commercial is whimsical, and makes me smile. If you haven't seen one, here is the first one they made, without the commercial's voice-over but with the usual background music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuvAE6neL7Q
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

About 75% of the TV we watch is via DVR, and we fast forward through the ads. Sometimes on programs we watch in real time I'll hit the record button, then get up and make a drink, wash dishes, straighten up, etc., then come back in 15 or 20 minutes to watch the show. I'm amazed by the amount of commercials - 20 minutes or more out of a 60 minute show.

As mentioned, the TV "news" on the gas pump is really, really obnoxious. I'll go out of my way to avoid.

There are a few ads on NYTimes to which I subscribe, but they're easily ignored.

The other ads that get me are the click bait ads that cause the pages to load so slowly, that I always go :oops: and bail out quickly.
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

During one prior political season, I got very quick at muting ads on TV. I've continued muting almost all ads since then.

As far as the internet, I have Adblock Plus. I rarely notice ads and I try to avoid the sites which overwhelm my browser with ads.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Chip Munk wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:08 pm I do the things already mentioned. I use Adblock Plus on Firefox.
+1. In addition, I use Ghostery to block JavaScript tags and trackers to help minimize being followed around by advertisers. Take a look at Duckduckgo.com as an alternative to google, especially if you would prefer not to have a search be a permanent part of your google file.
pennsylvania211

Post by pennsylvania211 »

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I abhor the psychological manipulation that are ads.

I use a two tiered approach:
- Network wide ad blocking using pi-hole
- iOS device ad blocking via Firefox Focus (blocks ads on Safari too), macOS ad blocking via hosts file

:sharebeer :sharebeer
"In the long run, investing is not about markets at all. Investing is about enjoying the returns earned by businesses." - Jack Bogle
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Whenever possible yes!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

michaelingp wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:24 pm I avoid ads. I don't watch TV and I have an ad blocker on my browser (although blocking Facebook ads is its biggest job). The problem is I feel quite cut off from popular culture. The whole brouhaha about ads on Facebook just leaves me puzzled since I never see any ads. Same thing with political ads on TV. I read in the paper that such-and-such a political ad is saturating the airwaves, but I never see it. Makes me feel like I'm missing a big part of the discussion.
I do the same ( and in addition, do not use facebook) and have found that my tastes have not evolved with the rest of the population’s. I detest s.s. kitchen appliances, wood floors, glass shower doors, smooth top stoves, microwaves hanging over ranges, french doors, wall-less kitchens. I’m pretty much still living in the 50’s. So it’s clear to me what shapes our tastes, and it’s not an inner aesthetic.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

I saw my first commercial in months on a TV in a bar today.

DVRs don't exist in our house, nor does cable TV.

We're a streaming only house, so don't see ads when watching shows.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

We primarily watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon - no to few ads

When we watch network TV, we’ll usually record it on YouTube TV, start watching it late, and then fast forward through ads. We’ll usually “catch up” near the end of the show. Works for live football too.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

yes, definitely.

i have an add blocker on browser.

i mute commercials on any video source i am watching - expect for GEICO commercials :D
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

When watching network shows, I just use the commercial time to get in some quick exercise - run up and down the stairs for a few minutes.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Is there a way to block ads on your mobile device? I find that to be much more challenging (e.g. NYT, FB).
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Yes, I ignore ads. One thing I notice when I watch old movies, old documentaries or just look at old pictures of towns and cities, is that there were very few signs. Now there are so many signs everywhere (I think there’s a song about this :happy ) that one cannot escape. I just try to ignore it all. Actually our street always has at least three lawn signs advertising something at any given time. I guess that’s because we are capitalists.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

No, I do not. I ignore most ads and sometimes I seek out ads. I used to have an ad blocker on my browser but after seeing one too many messages about ads supporting this website or youtube video, the guilt got to me and I uninstalled my ad blocker. I think it only right that the creators should be compensated. I bought 3 Amazon Fire Tablets and saved $15 so they can show me ads on the lock screen. The first thing I look for in a newspaper after the crosswords are to scan the ads for deals. I turn on location sharing on my phone so "they" can better target ads that are of relevance to me. I have clicked on these ads and purchased the product. After bogleheads, my next website is slickdeals so I can search for more things to buy.

I do not watch regular TV so I am not inundated by ads. I do not have cable. I live in rural America and for now, there are very few ads. My children's school has no ads in sight. The most ads I get are on youtube and while annoying, they are relatively short and can be skipped half the time. I wish my time was more valuable. I just can't justify paying $10 a month to vegetate on youtube without ads.

In short, I ignore ads.
CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds »

I avoid purchasing items that are advertised. I came to learn that they are advertising because word-of-mouth has not been favorable for them. Usually, advertising is compensating for a problem instead of fixing it.
beyou

Post by beyou »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:17 pm Ad free Hulu is money well spent.
I tried it but there are so many exceptions I got annoyed at every exception and eventually stopped paying for this.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

Thegame14 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:02 pm except for Yankees games, I pretty much exclusively watch DVR, saves me 15 minutes per hour of TV watching plus avoids an unnecessary wanting to spend money on something I may see.
We do this, too, but even with baseball games sometimes. :D

I'm old enough to remember when cable TV was young and we were promised no ads. That didn't last long. DVR capability has allowed the streaming services to recreate that dream for me. :happy We don't watch a lot of commercial TV, but when we do, 90% of the time we can scroll through the commercials.

OP, I'm with you - ads are a scourge that I remove from my life whenever possible.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Example:
(enter the No Spin Zone)

1. Don't watch TV, Dont' subscribe to TV.
2. Don't listen to "talking heads" on any subject or news telling me what to think.
IE: Don't listen to someone telling me what the "transcripts" are about. . . read them myself.
3. Internet news from objective neutral sources, "just the facts, m'am". (no editorials, no predigestion).
4. Financial news, Global news. online, no advertisements: Wall Street Journal, Morningstar, etc.
5. DW and I watch movies and TV series on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Downloaded, etc. (no commercials, binge).

Otherwise, "ignore the noise", "consider the source", "stay the course".

Good reading:
6 Companies that control almost all of the media.
https://www.webfx.com/blog/internet/the ... fographic/
. . . . while it may seem like you have limitless options, most of the media you consume is owned by one of six companies. These six media companies are known as The Big 6.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

CoastalWinds wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:03 pm I avoid purchasing items that are advertised. I came to learn that they are advertising because word-of-mouth has not been favorable for them. Usually, advertising is compensating for a problem instead of fixing it.
This is only true for products will long life cycles and little change. For example household cleaners and Coca Cola.

Products that change every year like fashion, and tech gadgets need to be promoted. As do new products that haven't gained any traction.
Puretaxableindexer

Post by Puretaxableindexer »

I use Ublock Origin to blocks ads and more. It's the best. I also block cookies within my browser settings for nearly all sites I go to except my brokerage/banks/bill paying companies. Many times I block Javascript on sites unless it breaks the page. I get no popups. No spam. It's great.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

RJC wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:08 pm Is there a way to block ads on your mobile device? I find that to be much more challenging (e.g. NYT, FB).
I had the same problem.

I downloaded a DNS app called Hosts Go and edited the hosts file. Anytime a request to adclick, taboola, etc is made is replaces it with a dummy IP address. This has removed most of the ads.

The downside is the app can now see all your internet traffic. So I only turn it on when needed and then turn it off.
RJC

Post by RJC »

unclescrooge wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:28 am
RJC wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:08 pm Is there a way to block ads on your mobile device? I find that to be much more challenging (e.g. NYT, FB).
I had the same problem.

I downloaded a DNS app called Hosts Go and edited the hosts file. Anytime a request to adclick, taboola, etc is made is replaces it with a dummy IP address. This has removed most of the ads.

The downside is the app can now see all your internet traffic. So I only turn it on when needed and then turn it off.
I just downloaded Firefox Focus and it appears to work with iOS Safari. So far so good!

Ps. Still doesn't eliminate FB sponsored posts but works well with NYT and other news sites (e.g. Vox, WaPo).