Sites for last minute deals

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retire14

Sites for last minute deals

Post by retire14 »

Thinking about going to some place warm (Caribbean) Some time in March. What sites are good for last minute deals? Thanks.
JaneyLH

Re: Sites for last minute deals

Post by JaneyLH »

Watty

Post by Watty »

JaneyLH wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:32 pm vacationstogo.com
+1

Out of curiosity I was just looking at that this morning and there are lots of good deals on cruises.

In general I am not a "cruise person" but with all the problems that cruise ships have been having with the corona virus I was not tempted. That probably is not totally rational but for me the risks and rewards are not worth it.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Watty your concerns r not unfounded. The wife and I took an Alaska cruise for our 30th. First cruise. We did the land portion first. My first night on the boat I came down with a upper respiratory flu. Down in bed for 3 days took about 5 weeks to get rid of it. My wife got sick the next day hers eventually went to bronchitis. That was the sickest I have been in over 30 years. Not sure I will do another cruise. U r in a bug incubator in my opinion.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

I have been on 2 cruises so far. I really enjoyed both. Would go again. I hope to go again.

Even if it were free, all expenses paid, I would not cruise right now. Call it paranoia, bias, ignorance, stupidity, whatever. The benefits do not outweigh the risks given the current health concerns. For me. Personally.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH »

Just returned from a Northern Lights cruise in Norway that went to the Arctic Circle. Probably too cold for bugs to get a foothold in that boat! But leaving in 2 weeks for an Australian cruise followed by 3 weeks driving vacation in New Zealand. Not afraid enough to cancel the trip, but will be extra vigilant about hand-washing and anti-viral hand sanitizers. Will also use Lysol everywhere around airplane seats and in cruise ship cabin. Will probably avoid the buffet and eat only in the restaurant. Would I sign up for this cruise today knowing about the threat? On vacationstogo the cost is about half what I paid, so I would be tempted!

In reality, it's kind of like the fear of flying. You are taking a much bigger risk getting in your car and driving to work. With the coronavirus, we should all probably be much more concerned about influenza -- much more virulent and kills many more people.

Have been on 24 cruises and got sick once from food I ate in Santiago, Chile before boarding the boat. Got great care by doctor and spent 2 days of 21 in the cabin getting over it. That cruise is the best one I've been on, to Antarctica, and I would definitely go again.
JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH »

retire14 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:25 pm Thinking about going to some place warm (Caribbean) Some time in March. What sites are good for last minute deals? Thanks.
Saw a news segment about coronavirus and cruising on CBS -- TV doc said if you want to take a cruise now, go to the Caribbean! :wink:
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

We've had good luck with Crucon.

www.crucon.com
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.