Microsoft Office free online version

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Microsoft Office free online version

Post by tennisplyr »

Just got a new laptop with Windows 10. I've seen that Microsoft includes a free online version of Office on it. Does anyone use this online Office? How does it work, what are it's limitations? DW really wants to use Office and buying it seems like a waste of money for our very limited use.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
John Z

Re: Microsoft Office free online version

Post by John Z »

Not exactly sure what you mean. It has Office loaded on it but if you start using it you'll be paying by the month. The "free" version allows you to originate an Office file but I couldn't see how to import my existing Office files. It doesn't reside on your computer, it's an online version.

You can use older Office products if you have them, the oldest being Office 2010. I did this research nearly a year ago so not sure if I'm totally correct on all of this but I loaded my Office 2010 and it works fine. New computer doesn't have a DVD so had to fine the links on the Microsoft website and downloaded from there.

Good luck.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

If you mean Office 365, you get one year free typically. After that the desktop software will stop working unless you pay. There is always a free version served up via web browser that has Word/Excel but advanced functionally is limited and you have to store files in OneDrive.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Could just use FreeOffice or LibreOffice. Will work for 90% of people and are completely free.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

The free online version is a stripped down version of their Office 365 version with less features. It's ok as a Office file viewer and entry level work. It was their replacement for their Office 2010 Starter desktop version. I recently switched from Office 2010 because support is ending soon to WPS Office which is free and don't really miss MS Office. It takes a little getting used to looking for features but I like it and it's free.
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:30 am Could just use FreeOffice or LibreOffice. Will work for 90% of people and are completely free.
DW refuses to try anything :shock:
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

tennisplyr wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:12 am
runner3081 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:30 am Could just use FreeOffice or LibreOffice. Will work for 90% of people and are completely free.
DW refuses to try anything :shock:
Such a silly mindset, but that is her choice to waste money :)
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

Install LibreOffice then rename the icons to Excel 2020 or something else that makes your wife think she is using MS Office. You could probably even download the MS Office icons and replace the LibreOffice ones.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Google sheets, docs, etc seem to work pretty well too.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Dumello

Post by Dumello »

Microsoft provides a browser-based online version of Office that is free for people with a Microsoft Account. If you click a document in OneDrive or File Explorer it can launch the browser-based version of Excel, Word, or PowerPoint depending on the document type. You can view or edit the documents and, while they started out pretty basic years ago, they have become very capable. They are browser-based like Google Docs, but look like the Office you know and are 100% compatible with Office files created on the PC (Office 2013/2016/2019 or Office 365 Home/ProPlus).

The trial software that some PC's come with are trial versions of Office that are client applications that are installed on the PC and are not browser-based - the traditional Office suite that most people know. This is a version of Office that you can purchase and is installed on your PC. You can use that instead of, or in addition to, the browser-based versions of the application. The browser-based versions are great when traveling, or using a PC that is not yours, but you want to get to your OneDrive/Office files.

Many people use only Office Online, just like they use Google Docs...but if you buy Office 365 Home you get the PC versions of the apps to install and 1TB of OneDrive storage (on up to 6 PC's or for up to 6 people). https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/offic ... verviewtab Cost? $99.99/yr.
Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 »

I've used Office online at work. Works fairly well for spreadsheets for sure. Saves to the cloud at my work to "Box". You can download a local copy from there if needed and open in MS Office client if needed (if you have it).

I won't put my passwords and financial data in yet another online place, so I don't put information like that on "Google Drive" for example. I dream of a headline "Google sites hacked - all information online (destroyed/accessed/public/saved by hostile government)". Yes, I realize not everyone cares but that is my approach. I would have the same concern about Microsoft "online". I'd use it to the extent that I didn't care if the data became public. But I do like have MS Office (non-online) at home for my private information.

I know they are pushing everyone to use the online subscription model (365) (which is making them a lot more money, too, if I understand correctly). I'll keep using my PC-based software until it stops working. MS is now warning me they stop "supporting" this in October.
"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett
lws

Post by lws »

Try LibreOffice if you want to save money.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

What do you and your wife use Office for?

I went to the free version last year. I have had no problems. It is a little different but close enough that you should be successful with a small adjustment. Upgrading to the latest Office will have an adjustment no matter what, I would think.

I am mostly just producing straight text documents, maybe with a table or picture inserted here or there. My spreadsheets are also pretty simple and I am using basic expressions only and no graphing. I would be able to do my spreadsheets on Lotus 123 from the 1980’s if I still had my first PC.

I also use Google Docs. I prefer Office. Someone who does not like change will very likely hate Google Docs.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

I believe the OP is speaking of the free online versions of Office products that come with a free outlook.com or Skype or OneDrive account.

I use these extensively. I used to use Google Spreadsheets and Google Docs, but have found I prefer the online Microsoft products slightly. The biggest advantage is the file that lives on your synced computer's hard drive is an actual .xlsx or .docx file that can be easily opened offline in any real word processor or spreadsheet program, whereas you'd have the extra step of exporting such a file from the Google software. My use is pretty basic, with some use of formulas in Excel. I wouldn't say I'm the type of user that would test the limits of Word or Excel, but for my use it's fine. I've also been happy with LibreOffice, Gnumeric, and Apple's Pages/Numbers, so maybe I'm just easy to please.
OAG

Post by OAG »

lws wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:04 pm Try LibreOffice if you want to save money.
+1 and use MS Money Deluxe Sunset edition (Free) in lieu of Quicken and FREETAXUSA in lieu of TT. All in all if you work at it you will save a lot of $$.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.