How would you repair this outdoor drain?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tc101

How would you repair this outdoor drain?

Post by tc101 »

I have an outdoor drain that is deteriorating. Here are some pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wExZhc8Zz6LRqgkb6

It is 18" diameter at the top. The drain pipe going into it is 7" diameter. The smaller pipe must have been connected to a pump at one time but there is no pump now.

The metal sides are deteriorating. The best solution would be some kind of pre manufactured catch basin, but I can't find anything that is the right size.

How would you repair this?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
galving

Re: How would you repair this outdoor drain?

Post by galving »

Almost looks like an old galvanized bucket.
I'd probably move toward a plastic material, though this might be problematic if you have freezing temperatures/frost heaves.

Amazon is showing a 20" diameter storm drain that might work.
https://www.amazon.com/StormDrain-FSD-3 ... 170&sr=8-9
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

rgarling

Post by rgarling »

Dig out a 4-5" ring around the existing steel ring and pour concrete into the excavated area.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

What kind of drain is this? Does water enter the drain from the top and get carried away by the black pipe? Or vice versa? Does water percolate through the bottom (ie is there a dry well or similar underneath)? Does the water come from the black pipe, enter the “basin”, then come up and through the drain cover and flow away?
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Without the pump, where does the water go? Might as well not have anything at all then if the water just sits in there.

Or do both tubes provide inlet of water & it seeps into the ground?

Or through the domed grate, water enters the basin, then flows out via the large tube?

I would replace with plastic. Enlarge & deepen the earth as needed. Add a pump if that's the original design.
$1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

walkabout wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:57 pm What kind of drain is this? Does water enter the drain from the top and get carried away by the black pipe? Or vice versa? Does water percolate through the bottom (ie is there a dry well or similar underneath)? Does the water come from the black pipe, enter the “basin”, then come up and through the drain cover and flow away?
Looks like 1) a downspout/surface water tile and 2) a sump pump pit outlet with a backflow preventer emptying into a gravel dry pit. If so and being so small you must have soil that is extremely well drained. In that case I could see why you no longer needed a sump pump as the basement would likely be always dry.
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

Water enters the basin through the domed grate, then flows out via the large black tube to lower ground.

By the way, what is the correct name for the large black tube?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

The large black tube is a corrugated HDPE drain pipe.

As noted above, the smaller black hose is likely a sump pump outlet (check valve on the end prevents water from siphoning back if the catch basin is full of water).

I would probably form and pour concrete with the same inner diameter as the rotting steel to repair. Is this near your house? And if so, do you have any water issues in basement? If yes to those, I would probably seal the bottom at the same time.