Iphone cords / cables

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JBTX

Iphone cords / cables

Post by JBTX » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:24 pm

We go through tons of cords (cables). I'm lucky if we get a month on any particular cord. I've bought anker and other amazon knock offs. I think kids are rougher on them, but I'm not exactly sure what they are doing to make them not work.

Ideas?

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Iphone cords / cables

Post by abuss368 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:37 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:24 pm
We go through tons of cords (cables). I'm lucky if we get a month on any particular cord. I've bought anker and other amazon knock offs. I think kids are rougher on them, but I'm not exactly sure what they are doing to make them not work.

Ideas?
I have experienced this as well. Yes, kids (no matter how many times I say it) just pull and yank out the cords.

We have used genuine Apple and also other brands. Tried the attachments but to no luck. Of course Apple charges $30 for a cable I believe (which is crazy in today's world). I simply order on eBay for pennies and have never had an issue.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." || Buy Total Stock until it hurts. Then find a way to buy even more!

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:39 pm

Look for a braided cable, those hold up better, but you can't expect miracles if you really abuse them. Non-Apple brands are fine as long as they are made for iPhone (aka MFI). Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Bra ... 01F9RGF0M/

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:41 pm

I've never had off brand cables that have lasted when I bought them for extra cables to have on hand. However my original Apple cables still work and I have never had any of the subsequent Apple branded cables that I have bought fail.

Saying all that, I have had problems charging due to the charging port on my phone getting packed with pocket lint from carrying it in my front pocket. Occasionally I take a plastic dental pick and gently probe the port and pull out a couple small chunks of lint and it will charge just fine for several months until I have to repeat the process.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:42 pm

Make the children buy the cords? They might last longer.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:49 pm

All our iPhones support wireless charging now. I still use a cord, but the kids have a wireless charging station. I am thinking about getting a wireless station.

We never had much luck with any of the numerous non-Apple cords we've tried. They either didn't work ever, charged very slow or broke very quickly. Cheap is cheap.

If we need a new cord, I buy the Apple version from Apple. Going cheap just isn't much of a savings.

I've also found the junk wall adapters are also not very good. They charge slow or not at all.

I have bought a few iPad wall chargers stand alone as they seem to be durable and fast.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:52 pm

The cords aren’t the problem. The kids are pulling on the cord rather than the head of the connector. My dad had to teach me as a child not to do that on a standard outlet plug as it can ruin those.

Your kids need to learn to take care of the next and final set that you buy. After that, they need to pay.

Cheers

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:05 pm

You might try the magnetic ones. No personal experience.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=magnetic+cha ... tr-v2_1_11

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:19 pm

I am hard on cables. I do all the things that you should not. Including using the cable to pick my phone up from the floor. The ones from Apple last less than a month. I have had good luck with braided cables that are very well reinforced at the ends. I have a Belkin one and an off brand one that have lasted a couple of years.

I like Anker for other things. But even the braided Anker one I tried did not last because it got damaged between the cable and connector.

I have included a link for a more recent purchase that I am hoping will last.

A friend uses the spring from inside cheap pens and electrical tape to protect the transition between the cord and the connector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07F9SRV ... asin_image

hand

Post by hand » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:51 pm

I've had good luck with Monoprice - perhaps try their heavy duty cables branded AtlasFlex.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31189

For extra strength consider an extra layer of heat shrink at wear points.

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:37 pm

Monoprice or whatever I find on a deal at Amazon, Ebay or see on Slickdeals

Nice thing about Monoprice is that they have a lifetime warranty. I've used it several times. They just send you a new equivalent cable for free.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:42 pm

Hmmmm, maybe I should eBay.....

I collect e scrap for a hobby. I keep maybe 10 cables for my iphone. The rest go into the scrap wire bin at maybe 10 cents a pound.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

furikake

Post by furikake » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:51 pm

I find that the Anker ones with lifetime warranty are the best one, second is AmazonBasics. I broke all of the other ones including Apple's but these Anker ones are super strong. I also pull on the cable instead of the connector, but the Anker ones last, we haven't had to call in on the lifetime warranty yet. We have on a couple of other Anker items, and their customer service is very good.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:59 pm

furikake wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:51 pm
I find that the Anker ones with lifetime warranty are the best one, second is AmazonBasics. I broke all of the other ones including Apple's but these Anker ones are super strong. I also pull on the cable instead of the connector, but the Anker ones last, we haven't had to call in on the lifetime warranty yet. We have on a couple of other Anker items, and their customer service is very good.
Are you referring to the PowerLine series? I just saw those for the first time. I have had the Anker premium before and it did not last long at all for me. But then even now I am holding the connector on the cable to support the phone while typing with a greater than 90 degree bend in the cable.
Last edited by Katietsu on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:03 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:59 pm
furikake wrote:
Are you referring to the PowerLine series? I just saw those for the first time. I have had the Anker premium before and it did not last long at all for me.
I suggest the the Anker PowerLine series. They are definitely more robust than the normal ones, and Anker does honor their lifetime warranty.

furikake

Post by furikake » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:37 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:59 pm
furikake wrote:
Are you referring to the PowerLine series? I just saw those for the first time. I have had the Anker premium before and it did not last long at all for me. But then even now I am holding the connector on the cable to support the phone while typing with a greater than 90 degree bend in the cable.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFK2H8Z

1130Super

Post by 1130Super » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:17 pm

How new are the iPhones? Get the wireless charging pads if they’re newer iPhones.

mainiac

Post by mainiac » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:48 pm

I wrapped the end of the cord with Sugru. I'm still on my original cord (at least 5 years old), even though I upgraded the phone.

https://sugru.com/tech-gadget/how-to-re ... rger-cable

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:04 am

I've tried generic lightning cables, genuine Apple cables, Amazon Basics cables, and the Anker Powerline+ Braided Cables, and I think the Anker Braided Cables are the best by far. I've had them for 2 years now, much longer than any of the other cables. I almost always get braided cables now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4VL3JU

anil686

Post by anil686 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:48 am

Hi, I have been happy with Ubio labs cords from Costco- also braided and I find their price decent....

https://www.costco.com/ubio-labs-lightn ... 76598.html

Hope it helps...

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:21 am

And I thought my wife was abusive to all forms of electrical cords. She will twist them into knots and will frequently carry the iPhone cord buried in her handbag under her day planner and keys and all of the usual stuff.

I have a new iPhone 11 and the cord from my iPhone 6s still works.
My wife has a new iPhone 11 and the cord from her old iPhone 5c still works.
The original cords from when the phones were introduced.

OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:01 am

May not apply to Iphone cords/cables, but I was going through quite a few Macbook Pro power cords. (The ones made/sold by Apple.) They usually developed a faulty connection where the cord/cable between the transformer block and the laptop connects to the block, or where it goes into the connector that plugs into the comp. Also, we have cats, and they would occasionally bite into this cord/cable. As a remedy I bought some lightweight, plastic, semi-flexible conduit at a local home improvement store and covered the cord/cable with it. Then I put a little electrical tape at each end of the conduit to connect it to the block and computer connector that plugs into the comp. This acts like a splint, keeping the cord/cable from bending to acute angles and also keeps cats from biting into it. Instead of lasting an average of about six months, the modified cords now last several years. I also started buying the cheaper, lifetime warranty cords/cables and have had the warranties honored, receiving a new cable very quickly. I think the last company I bought one from was Becker thru Amazon. Did have to send the old cable back though at a shipping cost of about $11.00.

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:28 am

mainiac wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:48 pm
I wrapped the end of the cord with Sugru. I'm still on my original cord (at least 5 years old), even though I upgraded the phone.

https://sugru.com/tech-gadget/how-to-re ... rger-cable

I do this as well, at the bendy spots of the cable.

radeon962

Post by radeon962 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:05 am

I buy them from Monoprice and actually any cable for that matter. Most if not all have a lifetime warranty and they replace them. I have had only one fail where it cracked where the cable attached to the connection. I emailed a picture as part of the RMA and they sent out a new cable.

Prices are competitive, quality is typically as good if not better than OEM and better than the cheap knockoffs.

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:07 am

02nz wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:39 pm
Look for a braided cable, those hold up better, but you can't expect miracles if you really abuse them. Non-Apple brands are fine as long as they are made for iPhone (aka MFI). Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Bra ... 01F9RGF0M/
Agreed. I've had genuine "regular" Apple cables and knock-off cables, none of them last a long time if used frequently - even if you try to be careful with them. The failure mode is almost always the cable separating at the end of the strain relief. I have had much better luck with braided cables (Amazon Basics is my first choice, but I have a few knock-offs that also work OK).

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:10 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:52 pm
The cords aren’t the problem. The kids are pulling on the cord rather than the head of the connector. My dad had to teach me as a child not to do that on a standard outlet plug as it can ruin those.

Your kids need to learn to take care of the next and final set that you buy. After that, they need to pay.

Cheers
+1!

At the risk of getting yelled at, when Dx borrows my cord, I expressly tell them to use the head of the connector and pull gently to disconnect.

x = D/S/W ;-)

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:17 am

Stop buying your kids new cords. When their phones die and they are unable to charge you can take them off the phone plan and save even more $$$. My apple branded cords last for years. The plastic does eventually fray around the connector but that takes 3 or 4 years.

Trism

Post by Trism » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:14 am

MN-Investor wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:42 pm
Make the children buy the cords? They might last longer.
This was going to be my suggestion.

Or let them trade in the old cord for a new one instead of something else they hoped to receive (pizza lunch planned for Saturday, for example).

GeoffD

Post by GeoffD » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:59 am

I hope the EU forces Apple to change to USB-C. I hate Lightning. You don’t have threads like this about cables for non-Apple devices.

I used to buy Monoprice stuff but I gave up on them. I mostly use 6’ Amazon Basics cables.

barneycat

Post by barneycat » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:05 am

I'm wary of using any non-brand cable these days due to security concerns and the risk of damaging the device. I have the same problems - too many cords and too many kids. Considering building a small hutch where all of our devices go to charge; this will add the positive benefit of having us adults untethered from devices when at home.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman ... 812be07027
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Living/gma-i ... d=54920478

Momus

Post by Momus » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:42 am

Buy them at eBay. They are like $1.5 each, buy 10 and abuse it as much as you want.

Trism

Post by Trism » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:02 am

GeoffD wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:59 am
I hope the EU forces Apple to change to USB-C.
Heaven forbid letting the market decide.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:25 am

Momus wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:42 am
Buy them at eBay. They are like $1.5 each, buy 10 and abuse it as much as you want.
That is what we did and have had no problems.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." || Buy Total Stock until it hurts. Then find a way to buy even more!

scooterdog

Post by scooterdog » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:37 pm

Another vote to spend a little more (okay a lot more if you are used to getting really cheap stuff) and get the Anker Powerline II+ cable.

Yes it's almost $20 for a 6-foot one, and worth not having to fuss with it for a while.

Momus

Post by Momus » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:33 am

scooterdog wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:37 pm
Another vote to spend a little more (okay a lot more if you are used to getting really cheap stuff) and get the Anker Powerline II+ cable.

Yes it's almost $20 for a 6-foot one, and worth not having to fuss with it for a while.
same braided cable costs $2 at eBay. :beer

1130Super

Post by 1130Super » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:42 am

GeoffD wrote:
I hope the EU forces Apple to change to USB-C. I hate Lightning. You don’t have threads like this about cables for non-Apple devices.

I used to buy Monoprice stuff but I gave up on them. I mostly use 6’ Amazon Basics cables.
What possible change to their laws would happen? I just think at that point Apple wouldn’t even put a charging port in iPhones sold in EU and force everyone to charge wireless

GeoffD

Post by GeoffD » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:02 am

1130Super wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:42 am
GeoffD wrote:

What possible change to their laws would happen? I just think at that point Apple wouldn’t even put a charging port in iPhones sold in EU and force everyone to charge wireless
The EU already has a single charger directive for cell phones. Apple somehow avoids it. I certainly used to have a half dozen chargers that were incompatible with anything else. Motorola flip phones. Blackberry. They all had different chargers that went into the trash.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:41 pm

GeoffD wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:02 am
1130Super wrote:
GeoffD wrote:

The EU already has a single charger directive for cell phones. Apple somehow avoids it. I certainly used to have a half dozen chargers that were incompatible with anything else. Motorola flip phones. Blackberry. They all had different chargers that went into the trash.
Here's a good description of the history of the EU directive.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/eu-char ... and-apple/

TL;DR - Apple got around the initiative by including a lightning to micro-USB connector. There's a new draft proposal not yet approved. Unclear what will come of that.

1130Super

Post by 1130Super » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:12 am

bluebolt wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:41 pm
GeoffD wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:02 am
1130Super wrote:
GeoffD wrote:

Here's a good description of the history of the EU directive.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/eu-char ... and-apple/

TL;DR - Apple got around the initiative by including a lightning to micro-USB connector. There's a new draft proposal not yet approved. Unclear what will come of that.
Do you think Apple would go as far as not having a charge port at all in Phones sold in EU and have wireless charging as only option

anoop

Post by anoop » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:34 am

Trism wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:02 am
GeoffD wrote:
Market doesn't get to decide anything in an oligopoly.
Last edited by anoop on Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

anoop

Post by anoop » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:48 am

barneycat wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:05 am
I'm wary of using any non-brand cable these days due to security concerns and the risk of damaging the device. I have the same problems - too many cords and too many kids. Considering building a small hutch where all of our devices go to charge; this will add the positive benefit of having us adults untethered from devices when at home.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman ... 812be07027
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Living/gma-i ... d=54920478
Apple themselves sell non-Apple cables by Belkin, mophie, and Native Union.
https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphon ... 58e%2B45c4
Some are available even in their physical stores.

Trism

Post by Trism » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:04 am

anoop wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:34 am
Trism wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:02 am
GeoffD wrote:
Market doesn't get to decide anything in an oligopoly.
Most people aren't carrying around a Samsung phone and an Apple phone.

Let's say I'm wrong, though. How much space do two different cords take up?

My phone and my tablet take two different cords, and my wireless headphones have a third type. My electric shaver has a fourth, and my laptop,a fifth.

I travel all the time with five different cords, and it never occurred to me to seek relief from the government.