United flight cancelled - best recourse (voucher+cash)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Carson

United flight cancelled - best recourse (voucher+cash)

Post by Carson » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:40 am

I posted an earlier thread about travel insurance for our April trip to Beijing. Welllll, that has been interesting to watch develop.

United officially cancelled flights through April 30. I'm trying to figure out what our best recourse is to get $ back, given what our tickets are comprised of.

Flight ORD>PEK for 4 people $2,120 Basic Economy

To pay for this, we used $750 that was available 'on my account' as a travel waiver from a previous flight cancelled (MCO>ORD cancelled due to Hurricane Dorian approach and airport being shut down. Turns out our flight actually went out, but we had to guarantee being home, so chose the voucher and rented a car to drive home. Voucher needed to be used by June 30)

Remainder charged to Cap 1 credit card.

At this point, we're not going to Beijing. DH and I don't want to invest any more cash into flights at this point (this was supposed to be a low-cost vacay year) and I'm not finding anything that is around the $500/pp that I really want to go to.

I'm trying to read along at Flyertalk but it seems like most of the discussion is geared towards people who were making milage runs or using points. I have seen that when people have requested a refund, they get a refund and their points are rolled back. Does the same thing work for United - where we would get a cash refund, and then our $750 voucher would be returned to us? Or are we out the voucher? I'm not sure what a reasonable expectation is.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

student

Re: United flight cancelled - best recourse (voucher+cash)

Post by student » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:52 am

Since they cancelled the flight, I expect them to do a cash refund and return of the voucher. However, I expect the expiration date of the voucher to remain the same. I think you should complain and ask for an extension.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:06 am

+1. Have you talked to United about this?

Topic Author
Carson

Post by Carson » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:31 am

I haven't called united yet because the travel waiver just updated last night. I wanted to know what a reasonable expectation is when I do have 3 hours to wait on hold. :D I didn't know if I should expect to lose the voucher because it was 'used' for this ticket or what.

If I can get my cash returned, and my voucher re-issued (even on the existing june date) I'm good with that. We'll just go visit family (predictable boring but good enough) I don't want to rebook tickets that were $500 each on a flight that's only $200, if that makes sense.

Due to schedules, April is pretty much our only vacation window this calendar year.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:43 am

Carson wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:40 am
I posted an earlier thread about travel insurance for our April trip to Beijing. Welllll, that has been interesting to watch develop.

United officially cancelled flights through April 30. I'm trying to figure out what our best recourse is to get $ back, given what our tickets are comprised of.

Flight ORD>PEK for 4 people $2,120 Basic Economy

To pay for this, we used $750 that was available 'on my account' as a travel waiver from a previous flight cancelled (MCO>ORD cancelled due to Hurricane Dorian approach and airport being shut down. Turns out our flight actually went out, but we had to guarantee being home, so chose the voucher and rented a car to drive home. Voucher needed to be used by June 30)

Remainder charged to Cap 1 credit card.

At this point, we're not going to Beijing. DH and I don't want to invest any more cash into flights at this point (this was supposed to be a low-cost vacay year) and I'm not finding anything that is around the $500/pp that I really want to go to.

I'm trying to read along at Flyertalk but it seems like most of the discussion is geared towards people who were making milage runs or using points. I have seen that when people have requested a refund, they get a refund and their points are rolled back. Does the same thing work for United - where we would get a cash refund, and then our $750 voucher would be returned to us? Or are we out the voucher? I'm not sure what a reasonable expectation is.
If you are already reading FlyerTalk, have you asked on the United sub-forum there?
That would be a very good place to find if "the same thing [works] for United", in general or with respect to the Coronavirus related issues.

If you post a question there, you won't need to try to figure out how other scenario's (e.g., mileage runs) might apply to your situation.

And yes, ask United. Put the phone on speaker, and carry on with your regular activities while on "hold".

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Topic Author
Carson

Post by Carson » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:44 am

deleted