Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
brandy

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by brandy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:37 am

saw this this morning:

Wash Post: By
Abha Bhattarai
April 6, 2020 at 1:06 p.m. MDT
Major supermarket chains are beginning to report their first coronavirus-related employee deaths, leading to store closures and increasing anxiety among grocery workers as the pandemic intensifies across the country.

A Trader Joe’s worker in Scarsdale, N.Y., a greeter at a Giant store in Largo, Md., and two Walmart employees from the same Chicago-area store have died of covid-19, the disease the novel coronavirus causes, in recent days, the companies confirmed Monday.

Though more than 40 states have ordered nonessential businesses to close and told residents to stay home to stem the spread of the virus, supermarkets are among the retailers that remain open. Thousands of grocery employees have continued to report to work as U.S. infections and death rates continue to climb, with many reporting long shifts and extra workloads to keep up with spiking demand. Many workers say they don’t have enough protective gear to deal with hundreds of customers a day. Dozens of grocery workers have tested positive for the coronavirus in recent weeks.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:07 pm

A local produce wholesaler whose restaurant business almost completely dried up starting selling directly to the public. You drive up, give them your order verbally through the window, and they put what you've ordered in your trunk, SUV hatch, etc. with minimal close contact with a human being. Their prices are excellent; we recently bought 10# of bananas for $3 and a large box of various produce for $15. Every morning, they post what they have available that day, and they often run out of most things by 11 a.m.

This greatly helps us to get through this ordeal comfortably and without going into any stores ever.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:22 pm

Grocery stores are limiting milk purchases while dairys have to dump it.

Arizona dairy farms dumping a million pounds of milk a day due to overproduction

"Food service has hurt us tremendously. The product that goes to fast-food restaurants like cheese for McDonald's ... was cut back," Murfield said.

He says this has caused a direct hit to milk sales. Murfield said the grocery stores imposing limits on milk sales for customers does not help the situation, either.

"I don't understand why they're putting limits. There's capacity for more gallons to be produced," Murfield said.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 961876001/
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:02 pm

Turbo29 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:22 pm

Arizona dairy farms dumping a million pounds of milk a day due to overproduction

"Food service has hurt us tremendously. The product that goes to fast-food restaurants like cheese for McDonald's ... was cut back," Murfield said.

He says this has caused a direct hit to milk sales. Murfield said the grocery stores imposing limits on milk sales for customers does not help the situation, either.

"I don't understand why they're putting limits. There's capacity for more gallons to be produced," Murfield said.

Why on earth on grocery stores limiting milk purchases??

Before all of the current chaos got underway, we froze a couple of gallons of milk, mainly to help ensure that our almost five year old daughter had plenty of milk. When we place a pickup order last week for our local Fred Meyer (they just bring it out to your car; much safer by my reckoning than going inside the store), we got four gallons, two for us and two for my parents. They never said a word about limits on milk.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:52 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:02 pm

An excellent question. Maybe it was being hoarded a few weeks ago. I don't really know.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain

nps

Post by nps » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:04 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:02 pm
Turbo29 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:22 pm

Before all of the current chaos got underway, we froze a couple of gallons of milk, mainly to help ensure that our almost five year old daughter had plenty of milk. When we place a pickup order last week for our local Fred Meyer (they just bring it out to your car; much safer by my reckoning than going inside the store), we got four gallons, two for us and two for my parents. They never said a word about limits on milk.
I bet the supply of consumer milk containers plays a role. This is an issue with other food and supply shortages. Makes sense for grocery stores to limit it if they can't keep it in stock.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:36 pm

Any update on where everyone is purchasing masks? Just read an article on how certain fabrics really don't do particularly well in keeping particles in or out and I have little confidence in my mask making abilities. Checked Alibaba and it is pricy.

nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:56 am

BeneIRA wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:36 pm
Any update on where everyone is purchasing masks? Just read an article on how certain fabrics really don't do particularly well in keeping particles in or out and I have little confidence in my mask making abilities. Checked Alibaba and it is pricy.
Walmart and Amazon.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=surgical%20mask

Pricey at a $1 each but we go out once every two weeks so 50 masks would last almost 2 years...

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:44 am

nigel_ht wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:56 am
BeneIRA wrote:
Walmart and Amazon.

Pricey at a $1 each but we go out once every two weeks so 50 masks would last almost 2 years...
I did not think of Walmart. I ordered a few from Etsy.com - supposedly from a sewer in the U.K. It has shipped but still no sign of it. On Amazon a bandana has been delayed by about 3 weeks. Ones similar to the one from Walmart are less expensive but the official arrival date is mid May to June. I ordered one that has supposedly shipped. I will see if it arrives before mid May! Obviously these are from China.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:31 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:07 pm
A local produce wholesaler whose restaurant business almost completely dried up starting selling directly to the public. You drive up, give them your order verbally through the window, and they put what you've ordered in your trunk, SUV hatch, etc. with minimal close contact with a human being. Their prices are excellent; we recently bought 10# of bananas for $3 and a large box of various produce for $15. Every morning, they post what they have available that day, and they often run out of most things by 11 a.m.

This greatly helps us to get through this ordeal comfortably and without going into any stores ever.
A local coffee shop near me basically reinvented themselves as a retailer of wholesale sized packages of beef, flour, etc. It's been working out well for them.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:36 pm

getthatmarshmallow wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:31 pm
willthrill81 wrote:

A local coffee shop near me basically reinvented themselves as a retailer of wholesale sized packages of beef, flour, etc. It's been working out well for them.
Good for them.

Panera stores are starting to do the same thing, selling most of their raw ingredients directly to the public (e.g. milk, cheese, veggies), which enables consumers to get food without going into a grocery store. We've chosen to completely avoid going into grocery stores until all of this blows over.

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:45 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
You want fabric that has a tight weave in order to block the droplets as well as possible. Also the mask should use 2 layers of fabric. Weaved fabrics like high quality quilting fabric / Batik is what I've heard is a good choice. T-shirt (knit cloth) is not that good on the other hand. We ended up making the masks using Batik fabric.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:06 pm

Here is a Georgia Tech web page on how to do a home test of fabrics to see which might be better for making masks.

The apparently have degrees in materials sciences and and a program in filtration engineering.

https://pwp.gatech.edu/rapid-response/f ... bric-test/

That would help you at least avoid using a fabric that is obviously a bad choice.

and here is some more info from them.

https://news.gatech.edu/2020/04/06/filt ... face-masks

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:18 pm

Mask Effectiveness: Percent of <.3 micros filtered out

N-95 95%
Surgical Mask 60-80%
Origami vacuum bag 60-8%
Quilting fabric, 2 layer 70-79%
Furnace filter, 2 layer 75%
Pillow case 600ct, 4 layer 60%

YMMV

More on the NYT link:
https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronav ... pe=Article

Enganerd

Post by Enganerd » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:20 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:36 pm
willthrill81 wrote:

Good for them.

Panera stores are starting to do the same thing, selling most of their raw ingredients directly to the public (e.g. milk, cheese, veggies), which enables consumers to get food without going into a grocery store. We've chosen to completely avoid going into grocery stores until all of this blows over.
Interesting stuff! How are you finding out about these local options? I have been scanning local news but have not seen anything like this. Maybe there is utility to facebook...

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:42 pm

Enganerd wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:20 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:

Good for them.

Interesting stuff! How are you finding out about these local options? I have been scanning local news but have not seen anything like this. Maybe there is utility to facebook...
My wife found out about our local produce wholesaler and Panera via Facebook.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:02 pm

nigel_ht wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:
Walmart and Amazon.

Thank you! Did you grab a specific one that you like?

nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:03 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:02 pm
nigel_ht wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:
Walmart and Amazon.

I did order a pack for my in-laws who are older...I honestly only looked for the earliest delivery date. I assumed that I was simply buying from one of many importers and not from an actual branded manufacturer.

If the delivery date is measured within a week I assume it's already sitting in a US warehouse somewhere. I guess possibly it could be air freighted in but it seems unlikely...its all Chinese made as near as I can tell.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:12 pm

nigel_ht wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:03 pm
BeneIRA wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:02 pm
nigel_ht wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:
Walmart and Amazon.

I did order a pack for my in-laws who are older...I honestly only looked for the earliest delivery date. I assumed that I was simply buying from one of many importers and not from an actual branded manufacturer.

If the delivery date is measured within a week I assume it's already sitting in a US warehouse somewhere. I guess possibly it could be air freighted in but it seems unlikely...its all Chinese made as near as I can tell.
I ordered pretty much according to that. Thank you again.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:34 pm

Lynette wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:44 am
nigel_ht wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:
Walmart and Amazon.

I did not think of Walmart. I ordered a few from Etsy.com - supposedly from a sewer in the U.K. It has shipped but still no sign of it. On Amazon a bandana has been delayed by about 3 weeks. Ones similar to the one from Walmart are less expensive but the official arrival date is mid May to June. I ordered one that has supposedly shipped. I will see if it arrives before mid May! Obviously these are from China.
I bought a box of them several years ago in preparation for just such an event as this. I think I paid $6-7 for a box of 20 made by 3M.

I really hope that this experience shows many that keeping such simple, usually inexpensive and widely available items on hand is wise. The problem is that no one thought three months ago that there would be shortages of toilet paper, face masks, flour, rice, pasta, etc. America especially has been so prosperous for so long that many thought that we were somehow immune to widespread shortages.

Throughout all of this, I've haven't seen anyone make fun of the prepper community.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:53 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:34 pm
Lynette wrote:
nigel_ht wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:
Walmart and Amazon.

I bought a box of them several years ago in preparation for just such an event as this. I think I paid $6-7 for a box of 20 made by 3M.

I really hope that this experience shows many that keeping such simple, usually inexpensive and widely available items on hand is wise. The problem is that no one thought three months ago that there would be shortages of toilet paper, face masks, flour, rice, pasta, etc. America especially has been so prosperous for so long that many thought that we were somehow immune to widespread shortages.

Throughout all of this, I've haven't seen anyone make fun of the prepper community.
I have three masks R95 masks that I bought for painting and gardening. But I am saving them for when I really need to go out. Three sets of masks I ordered on Amazon are coming from China. I have been given the tracking number of one. It is interesting to try to trace their route from China to the US. I get to learn some geography in the process.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:02 am

willthrill81 wrote:
[...]
It is best not to broadcast that one was prepared. I would not be surprised to find out a lot of people were prepared, but are not posting about it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:28 am

livesoft wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:02 am
willthrill81 wrote:
[...]
It is best not to broadcast that one was prepared. I would not be surprised to find out a lot of people were prepared, but are not posting about it.
Perhaps.

xenochrony

Post by xenochrony » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:57 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:28 am
livesoft wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:02 am
willthrill81 wrote:
[...]
Perhaps.
As someone who has worked with virus in a BSL-2 environment for the past 20 years, I have also been prepared. Since 2000, I have always maintained a small supply of N95 masks in my home to protect my family for both respiratory protection in home repair projects and from biological pathogens. I use them judiciously; at present my county reports a COVID death rate of 0.002%.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:00 am

Lynette wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:53 am
I have three masks R95 masks that I bought for painting and gardening. But I am saving them for when I really need to go out. Three sets of masks I ordered on Amazon are coming from China. I have been given the tracking number of one. It is interesting to try to trace their route from China to the US. I get to learn some geography in the process.
We've been rotating our 3M N95, we hang them in the garage and let them air dry for 7-10 days between uses.

I could see having to wear them into the winter so we're not throwing them out.
Stocks only go up? Don't fight the Fed. | All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:09 pm

Lynette wrote:

Pretty much this. We have a couple of N95’s and a pair of goggles leftover unused from home projects. If one of us gets sick, the other will use them when caring for the sick person. Unless one of us gets sick though, we’re using homemade cloth masks, which we have plenty of.

We also have a couple of boxes of disposable gloves from the motorhome. We’re not even trying to conserve those.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:20 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:09 pm
Lynette wrote:

Pretty much this. We have a couple of N95’s and a pair of goggles leftover unused from home projects. If one of us gets sick, the other will use them when caring for the sick person. Unless one of us gets sick though, we’re using homemade cloth masks, which we have plenty of.

We also have a couple of boxes of disposable gloves from the motorhome. We’re not even trying to conserve those.
I ordered a set of cloth masks and they arrived today. I washed them as they have a strange smell but they offer little protection compared to the N95 masks. I could have made better ones myself even if I had to sew them by hand but I have other more interesting hobbies such as growing my seeds indoors and fighting with squirrels who are digging up my tulips!

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:22 pm

willthrill81 wrote:

Somewhere on bogleheads someone said that masks degrade over time, about three years.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:49 pm

mouses wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:22 pm
willthrill81 wrote:

Somewhere on bogleheads someone said that masks degrade over time, about three years.
It seems that the primary concern is that the straps degrade to the point that the mask no longer fits tightly. The polypropylene filter in 3M masks should not degrade materially over a period of a few years if kept in a cool, dark place. If the masks still fits tightly, it should work fine, much better than nothing at the very least.
Levitt-Safety has conducted random fit testing using various brands of expired masks. In our experience those masks continue to pass fit tests, suggesting the tested masks were still good to use.
https://www.levitt-safety.com/blog/can- ... espirator/

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:58 pm

mouses wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:

It looks like not the mask material that degrade, but the seal and strap. If it's me between having no mask or a strap or foam that's not perfect, I know which I'll choose.

Components can degrade over time:
The longer a respirator has been in storage, the less likely it is to perform at its full potential. Over time, components such as the strap and nosefoam may degrade, which can affect the quality of the fit and seal.

https://workersafety.3m.com/why-do-disp ... helf-life/

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:13 pm

One can certainly wear a neck gaiter or buff over an N95 mask to keep the mask held tightly to one's face if the straps are not adequate.
Last edited by livesoft on Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:20 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:42 pm
Enganerd wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:20 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:

Good for them.

My wife found out about our local produce wholesaler and Panera via Facebook.
Facebook for my case, too.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:36 pm

Lynette wrote:
The Etsy sellers are totally overwhelmed, or maybe some of them are fraudulent.

I put in two Etsy orders, both from people in the United States. One was canceled within a few days. The other one has yet to arrive in over two weeks. It doesn't even seem to have reached the post office. The seller is now listed as "on break" and won't respond to messages.

I'll have to go to a doctor's appointment tomorrow wearing a mask made from either a bedsheet and rubber bands, or a bra cup. :annoyed

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:00 pm

sawhorse wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:36 pm
Lynette wrote:
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

I put in two Etsy orders, both from people in the United States. One was canceled within a few days. The other one has yet to arrive in over two weeks. It doesn't even seem to have reached the post office. The seller is now listed as "on break" and won't respond to messages.

I'll have to go to a doctor's appointment tomorrow wearing a mask made from either a bedsheet and rubber bands, or a bra cup. :annoyed
If you are on Nextdoor or a neighborhood Facebook page, ask them. Many local people around here are making and selling them.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:18 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:49 pm
mouses wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:

It seems that the primary concern is that the straps degrade to the point that the mask no longer fits tightly. The polypropylene filter in 3M masks should not degrade materially over a period of a few years if kept in a cool, dark place. If the masks still fits tightly, it should work fine, much better than nothing at the very least.
Levitt-Safety has conducted random fit testing using various brands of expired masks. In our experience those masks continue to pass fit tests, suggesting the tested masks were still good to use.
You can also put a cloth or surgical mask over the N95 to hold it in place securely. Or if you have fresh elastic (which is a big if these days, elastic is in short supply) you can remove and replace the old elastic.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:34 am

I removed a post and reply regarding an unsubstantiated medical treatment to inhibit virus replication.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:48 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:18 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:49 pm
mouses wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:

You can also put a cloth or surgical mask over the N95 to hold it in place securely. Or if you have fresh elastic (which is a big if these days, elastic is in short supply) you can remove and replace the old elastic.
You can get elastic from a fitted bed sheet or sweatpants. The elastic inside a fitted bed sheet is good for making masks.

MJS

Post by MJS » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:22 pm

sawhorse wrote:

Eye masks can be used as face masks. I'd put a bandana over it, but they can work alone.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:23 pm

April 13, 2020. DENVER (AP)
Colorado has made online sales of recreational marijuana legal during the coronavirus pandemic...

Now under Colorado's emergency rules, customers can pay for marijuana online and then pick up their purchase at the store.

brandy

Post by brandy » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:10 pm

I suppose this is still "preparing":
Last week I put together an ~60 item list ($235) and picked it up today. I did not get everything,only ~ $185
Due to my very high risk situation, my last two orders were large, hoping to get SOME items. And, again due to my situation (of course :oops: )I decided to lay in what I can so I don't have to do this so often. I finally got rice so now feel I wont be ordering that for a while. I did get one other bulk item, not a third...and canned items, including canned meals, soups, meats, veggies.
Probably not as nutritious as fresh, but...The only thing now is fresh stuff, which I can both order and pick up if available, or, sometimes a friend will get items if they're available. I did get ground beef and zucchini today--making zucchini lasagna for the freezer. First time I got fresh meat since this started.
edited to add The clerk did not close the car doors--they're not allowed to touch the vehicle.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:26 am

sawhorse wrote:
Lynette wrote:

I hope your doctor's appointment went well. I find it quite incredible that US manufacturers cannot ramp up to make cloth masks or whatever - quickly. Maybe the whole textile industry has been outsourced.

The problem with the masks I have ordered is that shipping is delaying them. I ordered four cloth masks from Etsy.com on April 4 from the UK and they shipped on April 6. The lady who made them sent me a photograph of the shipment. Over Easter the Brits declare many of the traditional holidays as Bank Holidays so the postal service does not work. On April 15, there is still no sign of this order. I have a bandana and a order from China sitting in warehouse in Jamaica, New York. Apparently this is where the items go through customs and then transition to USPS. Another order is on a plane from China and the other one is somewhere in China. All have shipped. The three cloth masks I received are total junk. So tomorrow I will go shopping and will use on of the R95 masks I have left over from painting. Maybe I will relent and sew my own my hand. I used to make many of my clothes when I was young but I had a sewing machine then.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:16 am

Lynette wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:26 am
sawhorse wrote:
Lynette wrote:

I hope your doctor's appointment went well. I find it quite incredible that US manufacturers cannot ramp up to make cloth masks or whatever - quickly. Maybe the whole textile industry has been outsourced.

The problem with the masks I have ordered is that shipping is delaying them. I ordered four cloth masks from Etsy.com on April 4 from the UK and they shipped on April 6. The lady who made them sent me a photograph of the shipment. Over Easter the Brits declare many of the traditional holidays as Bank Holidays so the postal service does not work. On April 15, there is still no sign of this order. I have a bandana and a order from China sitting in warehouse in Jamaica, New York. Apparently this is where the items go through customs and then transition to USPS. Another order is on a plane from China and the other one is somewhere in China. All have shipped. The three cloth masks I received are total junk. So tomorrow I will go shopping and will use on of the R95 masks I have left over from painting. Maybe I will relent and sew my own my hand. I used to make many of my clothes when I was young but I had a sewing machine then.
There are loads of masks that don't require any sewing. You can find them via a YouTube search.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:39 pm

I placed an order for pickup at a Kroger grocery store last Thursday but the first appointment I could get was this Thursday.

One nice thing about their system is that once you have your initial order entered and an appointment scheduled you can still add things to your order through the day before your order.

Over the week I kept adding things to it and the order was up to $335. :shock:

Part of that was that they would now let you order beer and wine for curbside pickup. :beer

They were able to fill $265 of it or about 80%. Part of the reason the total was so high was that I doubled up on a lot of the things that were not perishable or could be frozen. That included three gallons of milk and I put two of them in my freezer after taking a couple of cups out so it could expand when they froze. I had previously frozen a gallon of milk and it was OK once I thawed it out so don't be afraid to do that. One "trick" is that once it is thawed you need to shake it up.

I was schedule for between 4:00 PM and 5:00 PM but I got several calls saying they were running late which is understandable but the communications was good so that was OK, I was able to pick it up at 7:30 PM.

I got most of the produce, except for lettuce, which is a lot of what I wanted. Bread was the other notable thing that I did not get but I still have some bread flour left and I was able to get some bagels and tortillas.

We also got the beer and wine. :sharebeer

bayview

Post by bayview » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:02 pm

I have given up on Harris Teeter curbside pickup, which is (amazingly) the least-clunky option that we have in my area.

(1) I had to enter orders starting at 8 pm for a pickup one week hence. The window petty much closed by @8:10, with major server crashes along the way, effectively killing any attempt to enter an order. There were frequent server freeze-ups along the way that lost the reserved time slots, with no recourse.

(2) Starting one week ago, with some original weaseling regarding times for attempted changes, there is no longer the opportunity to edit the original order (started out as adding 5 items from the same category, but that is now gone.) If you weren’t psychic enough to know what you would need today and what you might need seven days from now, then sucks to be you. Note that you don’t know ahead of time what you will actually get from the order that you entered last week.

(3) There is the generic “I didn’t order that; why on earth did you pull that” stuff. I think that other stores do it better. I’m stuck with what I have. I now have to figure out what to do with baseball-bat-sized asparagus, after adding a note saying “the thinner the better.” Google is my friend,I guess.

From now on, once weekly, I will go into the physical store, mask on my face, holding my breath, and do my damndest to grab what I need.

This sort of thing is a MASSIVE fail by IT for what should be ordinary daily functions.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

rivendell

Post by rivendell » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:29 pm

A useful article for people wearing masks and glasses. I found a couple of tips I am going to try since I have to wear one almost all day at work.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsand ... 029b32e6a3
“On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.” | ― Chuck Palahniuk

clip651

Post by clip651 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:59 pm

bayview wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:02 pm
I have given up on Harris Teeter curbside pickup, which is (amazingly) the least-clunky option that we have in my area.

(1) I had to enter orders starting at 8 pm for a pickup one week hence. The window petty much closed by @8:10, with major server crashes along the way, effectively killing any attempt to enter an order. There were frequent server freeze-ups along the way that lost the reserved time slots, with no recourse.

(2) Starting one week ago, with some original weaseling regarding times for attempted changes, there is no longer the opportunity to edit the original order (started out as adding 5 items from the same category, but that is now gone.) If you weren’t psychic enough to know what you would need today and what you might need seven days from now, then sucks to be you. Note that you don’t know ahead of time what you will actually get from the order that you entered last week.

(3) There is the generic “I didn’t order that; why on earth did you pull that” stuff. I think that other stores do it better. I’m stuck with what I have. I now have to figure out what to do with baseball-bat-sized asparagus, after adding a note saying “the thinner the better.” Google is my friend,I guess.

From now on, once weekly, I will go into the physical store, mask on my face, holding my breath, and do my damndest to grab what I need.

This sort of thing is a MASSIVE fail by IT for what should be ordinary daily functions.
This does sound like a mess. If you decide to try it again, you could try spacing your orders out every 8 days, rather than every 7. Then at least you'd know what you had received on day 7 (ordered a week earlier) before placing the next order on day 8. I realize this only helps with one part of the frustration, though.

Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:42 am

Had a tense situation today. I was at Whole Foods, standing in line to get in. The line stretches along a sidewalk marked with tape every 6 feet indicating where you are to stand. There is an employee at the door who keeps an eye on store traffic, and waves in the next person.

An apparently homeless guy came out of nowhere and started barging through the line, ignoring the social isolation restrictions, and talking loudly. A guy immediately ahead of me turned around and motioned him to obey the spacing and the guy went berserk, aggressively approaching my spot to get to this guy ,who apparently had offended him. I quickly walked way off to the side to avoid the homeless guy. An employee quickly started talking to him to try and defuse the situation. A number of additional employees came out, talked to him, and then let him into the store? Looked like he just went into the store and right back out, without purchasing anything.

Next time, I'm bringing pepper spray.

lgilgi

Post by lgilgi » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:05 am

Have some compassion towards homeless and mentally ill people. As they say "we are all in this together". Don't act irrational because of the virus.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:01 am

Barkingsparrow wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:42 am
Had a tense situation today. I was at Whole Foods, standing in line to get in. The line stretches along a sidewalk marked with tape every 6 feet indicating where you are to stand. There is an employee at the door who keeps an eye on store traffic, and waves in the next person.

An apparently homeless guy came out of nowhere and started barging through the line, ignoring the social isolation restrictions, and talking loudly. A guy immediately ahead of me turned around and motioned him to obey the spacing and the guy went berserk, aggressively approaching my spot to get to this guy ,who apparently had offended him. I quickly walked way off to the side to avoid the homeless guy. An employee quickly started talking to him to try and defuse the situation. A number of additional employees came out, talked to him, and then let him into the store? Looked like he just went into the store and right back out, without purchasing anything.

Next time, I'm bringing pepper spray.
Sounds like the Whole Foods folks did a really good job in defusing the situation.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:32 pm

lgilgi wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:05 am
Have some compassion towards homeless and mentally ill people. As they say "we are all in this together". Don't act irrational because of the virus.
I have a high-risk family and under the circumstances, if he is going to be aggressive and confrontational and try and stand close to me yelling, yes, I'm going to do what I have to force him to stay away. This time I simply walked away and kept my distance - as it was the other guy he was venting his anger. I give a lot of credit to the Whole Foods employees for handling the situation.