Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Dottie57

Re: Do you sanitize your groceries? COVID-19

Post by Dottie57 »

I think about this too. I have Clorox wipes that will be used. The virus won’t last forever on surfaces. Will do my best. Give plastic bags a wash in laundry wash tubs.

Make sure to wash your hands.

Be safe
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

Anybody know how long they survive on refrigerated stuff?
bayview

Re: Can we digest COVID-19?

Post by bayview »

LoveTheBogle wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:19 pm [merged into existing thread - moderator prudent]

I keep hearing of others getting take out. Fast food only allowing drive up. Food delivery services, etc.

Uhhhh what happens if someone with COVID-19 sneezed in the prep kitchen and some droplets get in the food? Or they prep food with hands that have the virus on it from, I dunno, touching the fridge door and then food without washing hands first?

Honest question. Is this a strictly respiratory system infection where it must enter through to the lungs? I read that the virus imbeds near the voice box which the food would be near when you swallow.....???
I did read yesterday that they are finding that it passes through the GI tract. :( And they have also found that it sometimes infects intestinal tissue.

I don’t remember where I saw this. I do try to avoid speculative sites (other than BH :D ), but this should be considered hearsay unless someone comes up with the links.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
metalworking

Post by metalworking »

it may last longer on surfaces in colder and more humid conditions per the things i am reading
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Irisheyes wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:29 pm If it's non perishable, we're leaving groceries in the garage for 3-4 days before putting it into our regular food rotation.

I've read that the virus can survive on plastics up to 3 days, and about one day on cardboard.
I am putting the food away (including fridge/freezer) 3 days before use, and sanitizing fridge and cupboard handles.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
ResearchMed

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by ResearchMed »

Can the virus (or other corona viruses as comparisons for now) survive being in a freezer? If not, what temp/how long is needed?
Or is it only heat that would kill it?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

I wouldn't worry too much about groceries. Wuhan kept the grocery stores open through the crisis and managed to stop the spread. Cook all your food if you are really worried. Viruses don't survive boiling.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

LoveTheBogle wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:24 pm [merged this topic and its replies into the existing topic - moderator prudent]

As the virus continues and more and more people are infected there inevitably be a grocery store stocker, a grocery store delivery person, etc that will have contaminated hands touching boxed goods, plastic goods and the produce. There will also be consumers that are infected sneezing in stores where droplets can get on the inventory.

When you grocery shop are you taking everything out and wiping it down with sanitizer? Things like your cans, bread plastic, yogurt plastic, etc?

How extreme/careful do we have to be if we are hunkering down but just bought groceries?
No agency has offered clear guidance on that. The first data has been published this week specifically on SARS-CoV-2 (previous data was for other coronavirus strains), but there's not a clear interpretation of that with regards to level of risk. The short summary is they could detect viable viral particles for at least 3 hours in air, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard, and up to 3 days on plastic and stainless steel. Detecting viable viral particles is very difficult to correlate to risk of infection, however. In all cases, counts declined over time.

The NIH article introducing these results simply reiterates the standing advice to regularly clean frequently touched surfaces.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-re ... s-surfaces

Disclaimer: I'm trying to stay on the proper side of the line for Bogleheads discussions of medical issues. I'm not giving medical advice. I'm only sharing recommendations from authorities for how people should prepare and some of their supporting information for those recommendations, in the context of a practical question about preparation.

Personally, I'm not disinfecting packages. I am washing my hands after returning from the store, work etc. I assume the door knobs, carts, etc are a significantly higher risk due to regular, sustained contact, than the products themselves, which are only briefly handled, and typically are only partially exposed while on shelves.
blackholescion

Post by blackholescion »

PalmQueen wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:31 am I have a new twist to add to the discussion -

If you're home following all the self-isolation guidelines, what do you do regarding people who regularly come to do things like clean?

I'm struggling with this. We can easily maintain a 6' distance. Options I'm debating are - one last cleaning, then continue to pay regularly for duration or just stop cold but still pay regularly.

Am I over-reacting? I think having them continue to work is pretty low-risk as long as they're healthy, but then ... the folks in Italy would probably advise me to err on the side of caution.
We are “prepaying” for cleanings and not having them come. That is, we are paying them as though they came and they will come clean later. Pregnant wife at home so no risks being taken other than 5 minutes of an appraiser in gloves/mask taking pics of house. This will ensure cleaning people stay solvent and can retain their employees. Several other folks I know are doing the same.

As much as I trust the cleaning people, we are keeping everyone out for now.
jay22

Post by jay22 »

What are you guys doing with the packages that are being delivered? Should the box and the items be disinfected prior to bringing them inside the house?
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

jay22 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:04 pm What are you guys doing with the packages that are being delivered? Should the box and the items be disinfected prior to bringing them inside the house?
My sister does, her health is not that good.
foosball

Post by foosball »

jay22 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:04 pm What are you guys doing with the packages that are being delivered? Should the box and the items be disinfected prior to bringing them inside the house?
We're wiping them down with Chlorox wipes, removing the contents and wiping those down, throwing away the packaging, and washing our hands.
Tilterati
bdrolan

Post by bdrolan »

Anyone dropping dinero on some of the longer term food supply stuffs, like My Patriot Supply, Valley Food Storage, etc? They're in an 8-10 week delay it seems but if this thing lingers months or a year, you would think that food would starting getting thinned out at some point?

Not necessarily virus itself, but virus + markets + fed pumping/inflation + poss China crash...etc. Seems like all of these things could be very possible.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We are doing a combination of things.

Something like milk, that must go into the fridge right away, the exterior of those get wiped with something like bleach or alcohol.

For things that are shelf stable and are not needed soon, we'll probably just set them aside to "age", unless there is evidence that the virus can live off a living host for more than, say, a week. If so, then it might depend upon what the container is made of (cardboard vs plastic vs metal, etc.).

We are just starting to deal with this...

Also, even if we pick the items up ourselves, for example, when we get an Rx and also pick up a few other things quickly, then those items have still been handled by a number of stocking clerks, etc.
So those should also be treated about the same way. Likewise, the bag that those are put into are similar to the bags that are delivered.

We are in the older/with some health "conditions", so we have really found religion with all of this!
It's all very sobering, alas.

And yeah, we probably should be doing the sanitizing outside on the porch, especially given that some of the virus might be able to become somewhat aerosolized and thus hang around in the air for a while.

ETA: BTW, soap and water would work very well, too. That breaks down the envelope surrounding the virus particle, and it sort of disintegrates (apologies for terminology).

RM
Blythe

Post by Blythe »

PalmQueen wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:31 am I have a new twist to add to the discussion -

If you're home following all the self-isolation guidelines, what do you do regarding people who regularly come to do things like clean?

I'm struggling with this. We can easily maintain a 6' distance. Options I'm debating are - one last cleaning, then continue to pay regularly for duration or just stop cold but still pay regularly.

Am I over-reacting? I think having them continue to work is pretty low-risk as long as they're healthy, but then ... the folks in Italy would probably advise me to err on the side of caution.
PalmQueen, You aren't over-reacting at all. I called my "franchised chain" housekeeping service today to cancel but was given assurances that it would be safe for the service to continue. I was told that new plastic gloves and new shoe covers would be used at each home cleaned to minimize transfer of germs from someone else's home to mine. (I believe they always used new gloves, but the shoe covers are a new item.) Also, workers have been told to not report to work if they're not feeling well. So I told the service that they could continue to come clean my house. Now that I'm at home teleworking everyday I will be able keep an eye on the housekeeper to make sure that the worker is actually doing the things to minimize germ transfer as their front office said they would. If I'm not comfortable, I really will cancel and begin cleaning my house myself. :(
fatmike91

Post by fatmike91 »

Why would you bring the box into the house? Open it and bring the items into the house.

/
Blythe

Post by Blythe »

fatmike91 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:58 pm
Why would you bring the box into the house? Open it and bring the items into the house.

/
Jay22, I've been spraying a disinfectant on delivered boxes after I bring them into the foyer of my house. The wind from the outside might make the spray go in another direction other than on the delivered box. And then I let the item sit for several minutes for the Lysol to "work" before I open it. Also, once opened, I wipe down whatever is inside of the box with a disinfectant. Another poster had a point about opening the box outside. This gave me the idea of opening the box in the garage (more privacy) and keeping the germs out of the house. I'd still use a disinfectant wipe on whatever is in the box though. Hope this helps. :D
Last edited by Blythe on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blythe

Post by Blythe »

fatmike91 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:58 pm

/
Fatmike91, that's a good point you've made. Your point gave me the idea of opening the box in the garage (more privacy) and keeping the germs out of the house. I'd still give a quick disinfectant wipe on whatever is in the box though. :D
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:10 am My wife asked me to pick up a few items at the grocery store last night - not stocking up, just regular perishable food needs.

The bread aisle was COMPLETELY empty.

The Twinkie shelves were FULL.

I don't think these people understand how disaster prep works.
What's up Tallahassee? :sharebeer
femmefire

Post by femmefire »

I hope people stop buying baby wipes. It’s going to get real messy with two babies still in diapers. :shock:

I’m young and healthy enough that i’m still not worried about getting coronavirus, but am deeply concerned about running out of food and supplies, especially with picky eaters. For all I know we’ve already had the virus. One baby had a fever for three days that spiked to 104 twice, in a time frame that fits with me traveling via airlines. They tested for flu and RSV which came back negative, but would not test for coronavirus. I got sick as well but very mild symptoms. Maybe it was something else, but it sure would be nice to know.
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:34 am
RobLyons wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:03 am
TomCat96 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:56 pm

My prep so far:

1. Stocking up on disposable N95 masks. Easier said than done.
For goggles
1. We are assigned 1 pair
2. Sign off sheet that we received said goggles
3. Wipe down/disinfect and re use between patients
4. We ran out of goggles, so now half my department can only obtain flimsy disposable goggles that resemble fisher price
RobLyons,

When do you start using the goggles? Now or a few weeks ago.

KlangFool

Now. I finally got my own pair last night. We use them only with presumptive cases where aerosolized particles are possible (IE Intubation)
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

RobLyons wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:19 pm

My prep so far:

For goggles
4. We ran out of goggles, so now half my department can only obtain flimsy disposable goggles that resemble fisher price
RobLyons,

KlangFool

Now. I finally got my own pair last night. We use them only with presumptive cases where aerosolized particles are possible (IE Intubation)
Thanks.

KlangFool
jay22

Post by jay22 »

Are people getting food from restaurants (takeout/delivery)? How are you handling that packaging?
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

jay22 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:25 pm Are people getting food from restaurants (takeout/delivery)? How are you handling that packaging?
We are staying away. I know the virus does not transmit through GI track, but packaging, person carrying food..too many variables makes it a risky endevour. Gives us a chance to cook more at home, together!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

bdrolan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:44 pm Anyone dropping dinero on some of the longer term food supply stuffs, like My Patriot Supply, Valley Food Storage, etc? They're in an 8-10 week delay it seems but if this thing lingers months or a year, you would think that food would starting getting thinned out at some point?
I was in the middle of a 2+ month backpacking trip. I keep a stock of backpacking food handy for whenever I want to pop out to the mountains. But now that I am home, the stuff just goes back into my backpacking bin.

Long-term food supply stuff is found in all normal grocery stores: Dried beans, rice, pasta, cans of things, foil pouches of things, etc. It is all pretty cheap and can be stored a long time. There is really nothing special about this kind of food. When I look in our pantry, I see plenty of food to eat that will keep me alive for months. It was purchased from Kroger, Walmart, HEB, etc.

Some things that people might think need refrigeration doesn't actually need refrigeration until the package is open. This includes many kinds of milk that has been ultrapasteurized including soy milk. For whatever reason, these things are often found in the refrigerated deli cases at grocery stores because I believe the vendors want to make them seem more appealing like "fresh perishable" goods and milk.

Even meat eaters shouldn't have any problems with food.

Plus many folks would benefit from losing a few pounds of weight anyways.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
kacang

Post by kacang »

Now that our college kid is home as campus is closed, I'll have to adjust our grocery shopping. Forgot how much food a male teenager can eat.

Maybe the mad hoarding is over, my Costco (Bay Area) was very orderly. A line formed outside before the store opened, everyone was standing ~6 feet apart. There were signs outside listing popular items that weren't available. Surprisingly, toilet paper and 2-liter bottles of hand sanitizers were available. Employees were handing them out, one per customer. Store wasn't crowded and cashier line was short, I was 2nd in line to pay
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

My prep so far:

For goggles
RobLyons,

KlangFool

About the "aerosolized particles"... does this mean that current thinking is that coughing/sneezing does NOT cause any aerosolized particles?
That would be nice.

Thanks!

And THANKS especially for the work you and others are doing in these challenging times!

RM
windaar

Finally, sanity at the supermarket

Post by windaar »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

This morning at Publix, new signs limiting purchase to ONE flat of bottled water, and the aisle was fully stocked. Same with paper products, one item only. Wish they had done this sooner. When they let people buy an entire cart of H20 or TP and void their stock, it is not treating their many other customers well. Too bad it has to be a rule but stores need to think about this as we move forward.
Nobody knows nothing.
runner3081

Re: Finally, sanity at the supermarket

Post by runner3081 »

Good to hear! Went to the local Kroger affiliate this morning. Not a single loaf of bread to be found. People did have TP in their carts, however.
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

It seems that businesses (and people) find it difficult to preemptively think of things but are pretty good at reacting.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Also pretty sane today at our local Costco. Crowd was normal for middle of the day, but might have been suppressed somewhat by the snow we're having.

We were able to get everything on our list. Didn't see any TP, but I expect that will be back in a few days.
anonsdca

Post by anonsdca »

Good to hear. The Publix in my area has been the worst of all stores in terms of stocks. Kroger has been the best. Walmart 2nd, Haven't been to Costco.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Vons this morning. They have special hours (Tues/Thurs 7a-9a) for seniors, pregnant and immunocompromised. Store wasn't crowded. Stock was super low for lots of items. One package of lasagna - no other pasta. Three jars of some expensive spaghetti sauce. One 12 pack of seltzer (I bought it). No bottled water. No toilet paper or paper towels. No chicken or pork. Beef was either hamburger patties or some prime steaks. Soup was sparse but there were cans left. Vegetables and fruits were hit or miss. Some fully stocked others empty.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

Kroger near me has mostly empty shelves when I've been there this week. Hopefully it's temporary... Your post gives me hope that it will get better. They are now opening after my workday starts so I can't get there early during the week. I am trying to avoid weekend crowds.
Last edited by Colorado13 on Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I just saw my neighbor get out of his car carrying a Costco size pack of TP. I hope that means supply is catching up with demand.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
singledigit12b

Post by singledigit12b »

Was in Publix today. Got everything I was looking for except hand sanitizer. Stopped at CVS, Walgreens and a Winn Dixie on the way home. I guess I just won’t have hand sanitizer.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Items are being stocked every night. Somethings will be out by late morning.
But the supply chain is still in tact and deliveries are coming nonstop.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged windaar's thread into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

LoveTheBogle wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:24 pm [merged this topic and its replies into the existing topic - moderator prudent]

As the virus continues and more and more people are infected there inevitably be a grocery store stocker, a grocery store delivery person, etc that will have contaminated hands touching boxed goods, plastic goods and the produce. There will also be consumers that are infected sneezing in stores where droplets can get on the inventory.

When you grocery shop are you taking everything out and wiping it down with sanitizer? Things like your cans, bread plastic, yogurt plastic, etc?

How extreme/careful do we have to be if we are hunkering down but just bought groceries?
We started having groceries delivered. We have been using gloves and disinfecting wipes on everything... may start to keep non-perishable in the garage for a few days...
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
VeganBH

Post by VeganBH »

livesoft wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:46 pm
bdrolan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:44 pm Anyone dropping dinero on some of the longer term food supply stuffs, like My Patriot Supply, Valley Food Storage, etc? They're in an 8-10 week delay it seems but if this thing lingers months or a year, you would think that food would starting getting thinned out at some point?
I was in the middle of a 2+ month backpacking trip. I keep a stock of backpacking food handy for whenever I want to pop out to the mountains. But now that I am home, the stuff just goes back into my backpacking bin.

Long-term food supply stuff is found in all normal grocery stores: Dried beans, rice, pasta, cans of things, foil pouches of things, etc. It is all pretty cheap and can be stored a long time. There is really nothing special about this kind of food. When I look in our pantry, I see plenty of food to eat that will keep me alive for months. It was purchased from Kroger, Walmart, HEB, etc.

Some things that people might think need refrigeration doesn't actually need refrigeration until the package is open. This includes many kinds of milk that has been ultrapasteurized including soy milk. For whatever reason, these things are often found in the refrigerated deli cases at grocery stores because I believe the vendors want to make them seem more appealing like "fresh perishable" goods and milk.

I bet that was an extra shock when you returned home. :(
Good tip on the soy milk - didn't know that - DH and I tend(ed?) to go through a lot. We did pick up several sealed "box" variety.
I can't believe this is happening...
"Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace."​ ~ Albert Sc​hweitzer
VeganBH

Post by VeganBH »

VeganBH wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:00 am
livesoft wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:46 pm

I bet that was an extra shock when you returned home. :(
Good tip on the soy milk - didn't know that - DH and I tend(ed?) to go through a lot. We did pick up several sealed "box" variety.
I can't believe this is happening...
"Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace."​ ~ Albert Sc​hweitzer
M.Lee

Post by M.Lee »

7eight9 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:53 pm Vons this morning. They have special hours (Tues/Thurs 7a-9a) for seniors, pregnant and immunocompromised. Store wasn't crowded. Stock was super low for lots of items. One package of lasagna - no other pasta. Three jars of some expensive spaghetti sauce. One 12 pack of seltzer (I bought it). No bottled water. No toilet paper or paper towels. No chicken or pork. Beef was either hamburger patties or some prime steaks. Soup was sparse but there were cans left. Vegetables and fruits were hit or miss. Some fully stocked others empty.
I shopped yesterday at my store during the senior hours. I arrived at 6am. I'd say the store had less people in it at that time then I've ever seen before at any time in any store. A good thing. However, I then come to find an article on the web citing that it is not good for all seniors to congregate together in a store. <sigh> Just another thing to worry about.

I'm a pessimist in general and I do not see the food situation getting any better, at least not for me. I'm glad to hear so many people are still able to get home delivery. That has been epic fail for me and so is curbside pick up. Even if they were available, the food and products we need are not available in the stores. Yesterday I had my grocery list, but was unable to get all I wanted and had to make a lot of substitions. How would an insta-cart shopper be able to do that for us
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:07 pm

My prep so far:

For goggles
RobLyons,

KlangFool

About the "aerosolized particles"... does this mean that current thinking is that coughing/sneezing does NOT cause any aerosolized particles?
That would be nice.

Thanks!

And THANKS especially for the work you and others are doing in these challenging times!

RM

I appreciate the recognition. This is the profession I chose and love. It's concerning and challenging but also rewarding.

As for the comment about aerosolized particles, I need to revise it. Coughing and sneezing DOES produce aerosol. We now care for suspected COVID with eye protection as well as N95 and contact (gowns) precautions (gloves are a given). And we are avoiding procedures that produce excessive aerosol like high flow oxygen, non invasive ventilation, (instead opting for early intubation, mechanical ventilation) bronchoscopy, nebulizers, as much as possible. The use of a certain type of filter is recommended with each procedure if it's an unavoidable therapy. HEPA filters and n95 masks are our friends at this point.

So eye protection always with suspected COVID-19!

Hope that clears things up!
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Please see this forum announcement: Please read before posting on coronavirus/COVID-19

If there are any questions, please PM a moderator or myself. Don't post in the thread, thanks.

(This thread will remain open.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

I have to believe that at some point in the near future, everyone and their uncle will realize they have a 6 month supply of TP and the hoarding will die down. My biggest gripe is the run on milk. I have two small children who drink a LOT of milk, and the store limits to a gallon a day given the panic buying. This forces me to go to the store every other day, which is not ideal for anyone.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

It might be worthwhile to tell your children that "Life is not fair" and "You can't always get what you want." I would have no qualms not going to the store and buying milk for my children. I do have some powdered milk around for possible use when there is no power (i.e. hurricanes), but I know it doesn't taste as good as dairy-case milk.

Anyways, I'm curious why you seem to feel guilty about not providing milk for your children?
MnD

Post by MnD »

blackholescion wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:46 pm

We are “prepaying” for cleanings and not having them come. That is, we are paying them as though they came and they will come clean later. Pregnant wife at home so no risks being taken other than 5 minutes of an appraiser in gloves/mask taking pics of house. This will ensure cleaning people stay solvent and can retain their employees. Several other folks I know are doing the same.

As much as I trust the cleaning people, we are keeping everyone out for now.
We are continuing the cleaning services. They have switched to stronger cleaners and changed some practices and do a fantastic job of cleaning all surfaces. We leave the house prior to them being here and for a couple hours after departure - long hikes ect. Having an entire clean house helps with being here more than usual. Having a dishwasher delivered installed today - found out the old was leaking around the motor when running and who knows how long restrictions will last or increase. I don't want to deal with a leaking dishwasher for months! Unless something else breaks we have no other home appointments other than cleaners every two weeks.

We have a lot of food storage for both shelf stable and frozen capacity and are very well stocked up but not over-shopping. Will shop weekly for fresh stuff. Will definitely not run around to multiple stores looking for every little thing. Not worried about mail, packages etc. Very well stocked on london dry gin for me and wine for her and will restock as needed - priorities!

I started running again on the 4th of July and am now up to 38 miles/6 hours per week (goal is to reach 45 miles per week) plus 4 hours weekly of cross-training - mostly cycling and some strength training. This and the weight loss that was associated with this and other lifestyle changes is the biggest behavioral linked positive I can see in this situation. Anyone that's not in very good cardiovascular condition and that is safely able to exercise should be doing so - a lot. The speed at which one can gain cardiovascular fitness, especially the initial gains from couch potato status is pretty amazing. And exercise concurrently helps with anxiety and other emotional ills. Much more important than putting your mail in the freezer IMO. 8-)
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I completely agree on exercising. I have an elliptical trainer, not to mention a nice outdoor jogging routine.

I was surprised by the long line at the supermarket when it first opened. The store quickly filled to capacity and I saw bare shelves first-hand.

I'm taking it all in stride and am going with alternate foods. For example, meat was out, but they had a selection of fresh fish.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We are supporting our local favorite restaurants by doing take-out often. :)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

livesoft wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:08 am It might be worthwhile to tell your children that "Life is not fair" and "You can't always get what you want." I would have no qualms not going to the store and buying milk for my children. I do have some powdered milk around for possible use when there is no power (i.e. hurricanes), but I know it doesn't taste as good as dairy-case milk.

Anyways, I'm curious why you seem to feel guilty about not providing milk for your children?
The 3x I've gone to the store in the last few weeks I've seen no milk or bread. Thank heavens we never had milk and greatly minimize the consumption of bread in our house. My 8 and 4yr olds don't even notice.