Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
clip651

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by clip651 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:03 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:49 pm
Ya know, I woulda thought that people would be stocked up by now, and that the tide would be turning on the stores being out of everything.

I guess not.
I suspect the major league sports cancellations may have gotten the attention of parts of the public that either weren't paying attention, or who might think disruptions weren't going to come to their area (yet). Other cancellations of mass gatherings, etc, may have also rung alarm bells for folks who weren't worried yet. Just a guess.

Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:25 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:39 am
The threat of Cornavirus is running out of "toilet paper" :oops:

Read the Hawaii online newspaper last week and it said that Island stores were out of toilet paper.
DW and I shopped at Costco the other day. We noticed the toilet paper isle was empty.
Went to Wallmart yesterday to pickup groceries. Noticed the toilet paper isle was empty.
But paper towels were well stocked, as were facial tissues, etc.

Perhaps gun stores are also running out of 9mm ammo?
To guard one's toilet paper? :confused

Not sure of the relationships here. . . . . .

j :confused
Pro tip: some fancy napkins are really, really soft - might want to check a different aisle. :beer
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:31 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:26 pm
Went to get groceries in the hotbed of King County, WA and I was the only one wearing a surgical mask (got them in Jan when I saw China doing its thing). People either don't care or don't know.
I traveled to China around a decade ago, and saw tons of people wearing masks then. Why wait until this year to start?!
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:59 pm

My daughter sent a text indicating that she had found TP - one package per person. My wife dashed out of the house like a bat out of hell.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:03 pm

I removed several off-topic posts (1) editorial opinion of a former economic advisor (political) and (2) a suggestion regarding the wearing of masks (medical advice).

Please stay on-topic, which are the consumer aspects.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:37 pm

Mr. Rumples wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:40 pm
Mr. Rumples wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:28 am
I'm in a bit of a quandary and wondering if I am over-reacting. When my nephew called me three weeks ago and said he left his wife and could he stay with me, I said without hesitation yes. He knows he has until June 1 to find another place; I think that is ample time to find an apt.

In the meanwhile, he is scheduled to fly on business next week to meet a new client and they are changing planes in Atlanta. The trip is not going to be canceled unless the client cancels it. I'm a bit freaked out about it and in fact and up awake now. I'm in the elderly age group and am allergic to many of the medications used as decongestants (a simple cold for me is a week of sheer misery). I feel like saying you have to find another place when you return. That would be difficult for him. Am I being too freaked out about this?
Thanks to y'all for your responses to the above posting of mine and that I was not being unreasonable. I did tell him he had to find another place and sent him the link to the CDC's website regarding travel when you have a senior living with you. A few minutes ago, his company canceled all travel by plane. Looks like the message is sinking in.

I am stocked up on groceries, meds, batteries, cat litter and cat food. I have made several runs to Lowe's for mulch. Looks like I will be spending even more time in the yard this year than last. I have a garden bed by my small vegetable garden that I have been using for annuals; I'll let the family know they can use it for vegetables if they want.
Common sense prevailed!
Thanks for circling back and letting us know. Take care and stay well.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:39 pm

Barkingsparrow wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:59 pm
My daughter sent a text indicating that she had found TP - one package per person. My wife dashed out of the house like a bat out of hell.
LOL gave me a proper laugh, thank you sir :beer
Stocks only go up? Don't fight the Fed. | All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.

Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:43 pm

Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.

psteinx

Coronavirus - Kids at home/school disruption thread

Post by psteinx » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:00 pm

A thread for discussions of kids at home, handling school disruptions/suspensions (in response to Coronavirus), remote education, etc.

I assume by this point most who have a kid in K-12 or college have had their schooling abruptly changed or are heading for such a change very soon.

====

First, the anecdotes - share yours as you see fit:
I've got 3 kids, 2 in college, 1 in HS (all within Missouri). The pace of change on this stuff has been fast - just since Wednesday. Started with kid 1's college extending spring break a week, with remote learning through end of April. Then kid 2's (different) college, announcing that remote learning would start next Wednesday (but he was still supposed to be on campus, returning from a break, on Monday-Tuesday). So he drove down there tonight and apparently got the message en-route that in fact the remote learning would start on Monday, and would last all semester. Fortunately, the drive wasn't too far, and he woulda gone back anyways to get his stuff.

Kid 3, in HS, went on spring break yesterday, thus perhaps the school district hasn't felt pressured to announce their suspension/remote plans yet, but I assume that it's extremely likely she won't return to the HS after break.

Notably, kid 1's college is clearing out the kids, for the most part (some exceptions I think), kid 2's college seems to be allowing them to stay in the dorms. That said, he'll come home.

And a trip we'd planned with kid 3 on her S.B. - we decided to cancel it.

So, by about Sunday, we'll have all 3 kids in the house, plus 1 or more from kid 1's college (temporarily helping out until he/they get home).

====

OK, so, the actionable.

Uhh, I don't really know at the moment.

We've got lots of provisions (including TP :) ) in the house. It sounds like the grocery stores and such should be open even if things get bad. We've had some experience with remote learning with our kids previously - it's been a mixed bag. Given the suddenness of it all, I expect the first few days of it to be unfruitful, but hope that the kids can get some learning done and keep themselves occupied with it after a week or so. Got a new router mesh system today, hopefully answering a long complaint of my kids, and making the computer connectivity better in general. Fortunately have a big house which should allow kids to reasonably isolate themselves in various nooks and corners.

I'll be home and relatively inactive too. Will maybe get some supplies and begin a minor bathroom remodel next week (mainly painting) with perhaps some assistance from the kids to keep them busy (2 of the 3 have, at present, no educational activities next week). Maybe will push paper books, movies and some family games or jigsaw puzzles.

I'm not sure if there are concrete recommendations (or consumer items, beyond the various digital stuff, notebooks and the like we already have) that will be especially helpful, but probably a lot of parents and kids and teachers will be figuring this out in the weeks ahead. Share your thoughts...

[Mods - I think/hope this thread is both ok in general, and in the right sub-forum. Please feel free to move/delete if not. I think the kids at home/education at home angle is different enough that this merits its own thread rather than being squeezed into one of the other Coronavirus threads.]
Last edited by psteinx on Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:03 pm

The local libraries announced yesterday they are closing after today for several weeks at a minimum. They haven't decided how long they will be closed.

There was a run on kids books today. I participated. We don't let our kids watch much TV, so they are voracious readers. Having a stockpile of books to rotate through will be very helpful for maintaining our sanity as more and more activities get cancelled.

My wife tried to do a regular Costco shopping trip today, hoping that the panic buying in our area would have passed its peak by now, and that on a weekday morning, it would be sane.

It wasn't.

The parking lot had backed up onto the highway within an hour of opening, despite people parking in fire lines and shopping cart return spaces. Almost anyone in the parking lot with a full cart had a car following them, like foxes creeping up behind unsuspecting rabbits. People were seeking out employees to report other shoppers for taking more than one cubic meter (approximate Kirkland Signature package size) of toilet paper. Orcs were reported to be making raids from Moria on the freezer aisles.

My wife waited in line for over half an hour to check out. Her cashier had been pulled in from a back-office job to help and complained about an upset stomach from the stress.

psteinx

Re: Coronavirus - Kids at home/school disruption thread

Post by psteinx » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:06 pm

This post in a different Coronavirus thread suggests libraries are being closed in at least one area.

viewtopic.php?p=5092983#p5092983

If that happens broadly, that might complicate kid/education/etc stuff.

BoggledHead2

Post by BoggledHead2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:06 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:03 pm
The local libraries announced yesterday they are closing after today for several weeks at a minimum. They haven't decided how long they will be closed.

There was a run on kids books today. I participated. We don't let our kids watch much TV, so they are voracious readers. Having a stockpile of books to rotate through will be very helpful for maintaining our sanity as more and more activities get cancelled.

My wife tried to do a regular Costco shopping trip today, hoping that the panic buying in our area would have passed its peak by now, and that on a weekday morning, it would be sane.

It wasn't.

The parking lot had backed up onto the highway within an hour of opening, despite people parking in fire lines and shopping cart return spaces. Almost anyone in the parking lot with a full cart had a car following them, like foxes creeping up behind unsuspecting rabbits. People were seeking out employees to report other shoppers for taking more than one cubic meter (approximate Kirkland Signature package size) of toilet paper. Orcs were reported to be making raids from Moria on the freezer aisles.

My wife waited in line for over half an hour to check out. Her cashier had been pulled in from a back-office job to help and complained about an upset stomach from the stress.
and yet, some on here spout "I haven't heard any irrational hysteria".

It is disturbing & sad how easily manipulated these frantic sheep are. Hysteria, not the virus itself, will be the biggest issue.

Wings5

Post by Wings5 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:14 pm

I’m worried that a mental health crisis springs from this social isolation. Our kids don’t understand what’s going on. I think the most widespread fever Americans will get is cabin fever. I don’t say that to make light of illnesses and deaths, but to point out the unintended side effects of isolations and cancellations.

We made a run for the library and checked out the maximum number of books. Tomorrow we are having the kids make lists of things they want to learn about, movies they want to watch, etc. We will try to take plenty of hikes and walks around the neighborhood as a family to keep from going crazy. We bought plenty of food—not because WE wanted to but because everyone else was, right? 😉

I work at an airline so we are hoping to weather the storm as best we can and with a sense of humor. Be kind to each other!

bayview

Post by bayview » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:56 pm

So, under the topic of “How are you preparing?”:

We have a decent supply of food and cleaning supplies. Three-four weeks’ worth for non-perishables, although we’ll need to make weekly trips for resupply plus fresh produce.

But after two weeks of voluntary social isolation (we are Old Farts with risk factors), I wasn’t happy about my social-media-induced hyperfocus on me me me. I expanded my weekly grocery store run to buy a bit over $100 worth of ready to eat and easily fixed items (per our local food bank’s request) for those whose already-marginal living supplies would be hurt by the impacts of COVID-19, and delivered them to our local food bank.

I don’t want to be (apparently this is a thing) virtue-signaling here, but I want to ask the BH community: what are YOU doing to help your neighbors deal with the impacts of COVID-19 and the reactions by your local government?

- Can you babysit for neighbors who must go into the office, but schools are closed?
- Can you donate (cash or goods) to local community support groups like food banks?
- Can you check in with neighbors and make grocery runs for them?
- Can you help neighbors get their spring yard work up and running?
- What else?

If you were affected by this situation, what help might you need from those around you?

It’s really important in times of social stress to identify ways that you can help. If we all just think about the negative impacts upon ourselves, or just hunker down, we lose personal power and become victims. Don’t be a victim. Be strong, and help the people in your community to get through this!
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

mighty72

Post by mighty72 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:10 am

merged psteinx's thread on Coronavirus - Kids at home/school disruption thread here as this is something already being discussed in this thread.

bluelight

Post by bluelight » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:49 am

When the virus hit New York a couple of weeks ago, I told my husband that he was in isolation. He is in his 70's and has immune and respiratory issues. I have heart and respiratory issues, but I'm a decade younger.

I have spent this week stocking up and somehow managed to beat most of the madness by a day.

Costco on Wednesday, found a spot right away and stocked up on meats and frozen veggies. They had plenty of paper towels (on sale!) and TP.

Local grocery store on Thursday, some shelves were empty but I came away with most of what I wanted.

Friday was the liquor store and then a stop to get bird food.

With the exception of hand sanitizer we are ok for a few weeks. At that point, I'll probably do online grocery ordering.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:29 am

An interesting discussion of the logistical issues posed by the pandemic in providing consumer products to shoppers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... ronavirus/

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:32 am

clip651 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:03 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:49 pm
Ya know, I woulda thought that people would be stocked up by now, and that the tide would be turning on the stores being out of everything.

I guess not.
I suspect the major league sports cancellations may have gotten the attention of parts of the public that either weren't paying attention, or who might think disruptions weren't going to come to their area (yet). Other cancellations of mass gatherings, etc, may have also rung alarm bells for folks who weren't worried yet. Just a guess.
+1

I know some guys that spend no time and have no interest in following current events, but they could tell you every detail about the 3rd string wide receiver from their favorite NFL team. When the NBA suspended its season on Wednesday, this came as a shock :shock: to millions of fans. All of the other sports dominoes fell on Thursday and Friday.

Grogs

Post by Grogs » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:32 am

I went by the Kroger to get some groceries this morning. I have at least 3 months of food (and TP!) in the house, so I was more focused on restocking some of my comfort foods while I could: chips, cookies, bananas, blueberries, coffee, V8, etc. Having those types of normal things instead of just being stuck eating freeze dried meals and drinking water every day really helps with the mental health, IMO.

Anyway, I didn't see panic, but definitely a lot of fear. I arrived at just before 7 AM and there was a line at the self-checkout already. They were out of hand wipes at the front, which didn't make me too happy, but I did at least have hand sanitizer in my pocket. When I grabbed one of the hand-scanners, I realized the big line was because those aren't turned on until 7 AM. That's something they really need to change, at least in the short term. Since it was 6:59, I just grabbed one and it turned on before I picked up my first item.

Inside the store, there wasn't a mob or anything at that hour, but everyone I passed was eyeing me warily and trying to keep their distance. I was trying to do the same although I did try to look calm and smile at people. I didn't see anyone wearing masks or gloves. There were signs all over the grocery store looking to hire "personal shoppers", so maybe that's at least a tiny bright spot since I imagine online ordering will skyrocket.

In the store, I found that milk was low, but not out. Same with peanut butter and OJ. Many cleaning supplies were wiped out, as would be expected. They did have some signs saying maximum of 3 hand-sanitizers/wipes per order, but the signs were the only things on those shelves. Things like sandwich meat, hot dogs, tuna, and cat food were very low. Non-essentials like soda, chips, and cookies were overflowing, so while there are definitely empty shelves, it's not as if there's no food at all.

All in all, certainly not a normal grocery run, but not as bad as I might have feared. At noon today, it might be a completely different story though. Right now, I'm assuming that was my last grocery run for a while. If the supply chains can keep up, I'm hoping that after a couple of weeks people realize they already have 6 months of TP and bottled water and things lighten up a bit. Until then, I think it's probably going to get a lot worse in the short run.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:43 am

deleted

M.Lee

Post by M.Lee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:51 am

Finridge wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:29 am
An interesting discussion of the logistical issues posed by the pandemic in providing consumer products to shoppers.

Has a firewire, as do most places with info. I'm not giving my email address and name to the post or the times.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:56 am

Grogs wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:32 am

All in all, certainly not a normal grocery run, but not as bad as I might have feared. At noon today, it might be a completely different story though. Right now, I'm assuming that was my last grocery run for a while. If the supply chains can keep up, I'm hoping that after a couple of weeks people realize they already have 6 months of TP and bottled water and things lighten up a bit. Until then, I think it's probably going to get a lot worse in the short run.
This happened in other countries too, but people stopped excessive hoarding and stockpiling after government leaders appealed to their citizens and explained that it was making matters worse. Hopefully, Americans will respond rationally rather than engaging in mass hysteria. No, we're not going to run out of food. No, we're not going to run out of toilet paper for long - and if we do, honestly, then, so what? You can' think of other ways to clean yourself? The irrationality is so ugly.

In the Asian countries where people were panicking over toilet paper a month ago and clearing shelves, there's now an excess of them. My ex-boyfriend who works overseas tell me that it was difficult to get toilet paper for about 5 days, and now stores can't sell it. They have so much TP that they are lining the aisles and exterior of the stores with them, and no one is buying them now. It's all so silly. My bet is that that's what's going to happen here too. At some point in the future, stores will be over-stocked with TP and find no buyers because everyone has a decade's supply of them.

A month ago people were worried about supply chains because of China. Now that so many Chinese factories have gone back up and are ramping up production again, we've moved on to the next worry.

I also read an article that there are people who are driving around stores snapping things up hoping to sell them for a profit on Amazon and Ebay. Now that Amazon and EBay have taken action, and there's the threat of state prosecution for price-gouging (I hope these people go to jail), many sellers are left with gigantic stockpiles of hand sanitizers that they can't sell. For a brief period they made a lot of money jacking up the prices on online sites.

nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:31 am

BoggledHead2 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:06 pm
iamlucky13 wrote:

It wasn't.

It is disturbing & sad how easily manipulated these frantic sheep are. Hysteria, not the virus itself, will be the biggest issue.
Why do you need to characterize people you disagree with as sheep?

The panic comes from not being prepared ahead of time. At least maybe a few folks will begin to stock a couple weeks of food and stuff ahead of emergencies.

It has been highly amusing how many preppers there are...when chatting many will downplay that they prep (“oh we aren’t crazy but we do keep X supplies around...but we don’t have a bunker or anything”) because American society in general thinks being a little prepared is odd.

Nothing too odd about following FEMA and CDC guidelines and the government has said “Yah, 72 hours not so much...maybe a couple weeks?” Hurricane, wildfires, tornadoes, earthquakes are a risk in many parts of the country.

M.Lee

Post by M.Lee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:41 am

I'm not going to deny that I am concerned about getting food. I'm in the 20% that is most vulnerable, plus I'm alone with no support system. I have enough to last a little while before I will need supplies.

While things may have changed since my last market visit, I think it's the type of market where you shop that can be an issue. Places like Costco, Walmart, etc. are going to be the ones most crowded because they give lower prices and have generally larger supplies. If you aren't strapped for money, which thankfully I'm not at present, then I can shop at the more expensive speciality markets and they didn't have a problem with supplies when I was last there. That was this past Monday. I'm going to try going on this coming Monday.

I'm also looking into get some flash-frozen fish as soon as I can decide which service has the best consumer reports. Come Summer, there is a fresh farmer's market one mile from me. Spring is coming early here, so I suspect there will be nice produce in the Summer. I can avoid stores that way.

I'm trying to find a way to think more positive but I admit I'm not sleeping well these days.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:06 am

I don't think I posted in here yet.

I began stocking up about 3.5 weeks ago, made 3 Costco runs during my lunch breaks. Didn't tell my wife as I figured she'd think I was crazy.

I have shelf stable foods and drinks plus pet supllies that should last a while...plus meds and paper products. Now that our kids schools are closed and we are officially working from home, I've been able to avoid the shopping crush. We picked up frozen foods now as well to supplement.

We are getting groceries delivered for now, assuming that continues.

So I think I made the right call.

I didn't make any investment adjustments, maybe I should have but elected to stay the course on that.

BoggledHead2

Post by BoggledHead2 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:17 am

nigel_ht wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:31 am
BoggledHead2 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:06 pm
iamlucky13 wrote:

It wasn't.

Why do you need to characterize people you disagree with as sheep?

The panic comes from not being prepared ahead of time. At least maybe a few folks will begin to stock a couple weeks of food and stuff ahead of emergencies.

It has been highly amusing how many preppers there are...when chatting many will downplay that they prep (“oh we aren’t crazy but we do keep X supplies around...but we don’t have a bunker or anything”) because American society in general thinks being a little prepared is odd.

Nothing too odd about following FEMA and CDC guidelines and the government has said “Yah, 72 hours not so much...maybe a couple weeks?” Hurricane, wildfires, tornadoes, earthquakes are a risk in many parts of the country.
When I read about fistfights over toilet paper in wholesale shopping outlets, “sheep” is the nicest term I can come up with.

There is a huge difference between preparation and irrational hysteria.

We didn’t go to any store - because our freezer/fridge were already full. Need food? Go to the store. Hear about coronavirus? Don’t go out frantically buying every square of toilet paper you can.

Big difference. Good luck.

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:21 am

Companies that feed America brace for labor shortages and worry about restocking stores
Food producers and supply chain managers say there is generally enough nonperishable food to last several months, but the challenge could soon be getting that food to the right places once local distribution centers are wiped out.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:25 am

The TP crush is a microcosm example of lack of general prep and how "flattening the curve" is truly applicable.

If everyone gradually stored up TP during regular time, there'd be no spike and shortage now.

I did my part to flatten by stocking up weeks ago.

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:28 am

Frozen food is the new TP, if my local stores are any indication. It's in very short supply.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:46 am

M.Lee wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:41 am
I'm not going to deny that I am concerned about getting food. I'm in the 20% that is most vulnerable, plus I'm alone with no support system. I have enough to last a little while before I will need supplies.

While things may have changed since my last market visit, I think it's the type of market where you shop that can be an issue. Places like Costco, Walmart, etc. are going to be the ones most crowded because they give lower prices and have generally larger supplies. If you aren't strapped for money, which thankfully I'm not at present, then I can shop at the more expensive speciality markets and they didn't have a problem with supplies when I was last there. That was this past Monday. I'm going to try going on this coming Monday.

I'm also looking into get some flash-frozen fish as soon as I can decide which service has the best consumer reports. Come Summer, there is a fresh farmer's market one mile from me. Spring is coming early here, so I suspect there will be nice produce in the Summer. I can avoid stores that way.

I'm trying to find a way to think more positive but I admit I'm not sleeping well these days.
M.Lee,

<< I'm in the 20% that is most vulnerable, plus I'm alone with no support system. I have enough to last a little while before I will need supplies.
If you aren't strapped for money, which thankfully I'm not at present, then I can shop at the more expensive speciality markets and they didn't have a problem with supplies when I was last there.
I'm going to try going on this coming Monday.>>

Why would you go to the store instead of calling them and pay for delivery? Especially if they are one of those more expensive specialty markets?

KlangFool

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:04 am

bluelight wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:49 am
When the virus hit New York a couple of weeks ago, I told my husband that he was in isolation. He is in his 70's and has immune and respiratory issues. I have heart and respiratory issues, but I'm a decade younger.

I have spent this week stocking up and somehow managed to beat most of the madness by a day.

Costco on Wednesday, found a spot right away and stocked up on meats and frozen veggies. They had plenty of paper towels (on sale!) and TP.

Local grocery store on Thursday, some shelves were empty but I came away with most of what I wanted.

Friday was the liquor store and then a stop to get bird food.

With the exception of hand sanitizer we are ok for a few weeks. At that point, I'll probably do online grocery ordering.
Sound like you are well prepare, good luck to you and DH.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:20 am

The panic buying seemed to really ramp up this week with all of the announced shut downs; I read an article that said the NBA season suspension really got a lot of attention and many others then followed suit. We stayed away from the stores mid-week. We are always pretty well stocked with stuff anyway and I mentioned to my wife about a week and a half ago that we probably want to be sure we don’t let anything get low because things could get crazy. Which they have. The posts on this forum were a a
great advanced warning system to help us get out in front of the panic shopping wave.

We went to Wal-Mart this morning for a few things and it was interesting how low their inventory was for some things. No whole milk, no eggs, peanut butter and dry pasta was low. Only smaller containers of oatmeal. Plenty of meat and fresh vegetables / fruits. We skipped a couple of things that we can just buy later in a week or two,

kacang

Post by kacang » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:23 am

Plan for self-care, do something fun and unrelated to covid/stock market. Plant something in a pot/your yard, watch it grow. Gardening is an exercise in optimism.

Connect with your neighbors, start today if you haven't already. On Nextdoor, my neighbors are reaching out to offer help, especially to the elderly and immunocompromised. The most heartening were people asking the county how they can help when they heard some people were quarantined in our area, instead of NIMBYism.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:38 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:46 am
M.Lee wrote:

M.Lee,

<< I'm in the 20% that is most vulnerable, plus I'm alone with no support system. I have enough to last a little while before I will need supplies.
If you aren't strapped for money, which thankfully I'm not at present, then I can shop at the more expensive speciality markets and they didn't have a problem with supplies when I was last there.

Why would you go to the store instead of calling them and pay for delivery? Especially if they are one of those more expensive specialty markets?

KlangFool
It is worth noting that health authorities all over the world have consistently reported the main risk is from close contact with ill persons. Being in the same building, but not physically close to assymptomatic people except for brief casual encounters like checking out is, per everything that has been reported so far, low risk.

Certainly delivery services are an option for those who wish to minimize risk. For those who have difficulty affording such services, try reaching out to people you know to see if they are able to run critical errands for you.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:45 pm

If you are in a position to do so, offer to get groceries and pick up prescriptions for the elders living on your block. You’re going out to get food anyway. We’re shopping for our next door neighbor, who is in poor health already, and knows that her odds would not be good if she were to catch it.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:45 pm

M.Lee wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:51 am
Finridge wrote:

Has a firewire, as do most places with info. I'm not giving my email address and name to the post or the times.
As many media outlets are having to enforce their copyrights more carefully and retrench on subscription revenue as ad saturation devalues that revenue stream, it is increasingly beneficial to discussions to accompany links with summaries , fair use excerpts (brief quotes that help convey the themes of an article), or both.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:48 pm

I went out this morning to deposit a check into my checking account to make sure that we have plenty or money in our local bank since we do not normally keep a lot there.

I stocked up about two weeks ago but a big grocery store did not look too busy so I stopped there to pick up from fresh produce and a few odds and ends. It was a bit busier than usual but not bad at all.

They have a small floral department and the woman who was working there was coughing. I was not anywhere near her but I finished up my shopping quickly and got out of there.

I am in my 60s so between events being cancelled and limiting my where I had gone out to I had already reduced my number of contacts with people by 80% or more. After hearing that woman coughing we are now going to hunker down even more and and try to have minimal contact with other people now.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:07 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:38 pm

It is worth noting that health authorities all over the world have consistently reported the main risk is from close contact with ill persons.
The problem is that a person is not displaying symptoms can emit lots of the coronavirus.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/09/peo ... ry-begins/

In other words, I have no way of knowing who is ill and who is not.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:13 pm

Seasonal wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:42 pm
Maverick3320 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:37 pm
As a front line medical professional, do you still recommend not worrying about this?
With all due respect the front line medical professionals, epidemiologists and other public health experts know much more than front line health professionals who are not experts in these matters.
With all due respect I am public health trained before becoming a physician - those experts you are referring to- there are a handful of them who truly knew anything about this problem before anyone else did. The rest- are MPH or MPhDs who have limited experience in this area - myself included. The true experts were not sounding the alarm in the USA or elsewhere despite having more knowledge about it. Its why german public health officials did not ask for pandemic level quarantines to be put in until later, its the same reason why the epidemiologists at Harvard didn't sound the call for crisis either until after it hit us.

I was monitoring this issue before it became public and wide spread panic ensued and my commentary stands.
1. buying masks if you dont have an infection DOES NOT HELP even now
2. Worrying about dying from this disease does NOT help and that leads to:
3. Your risks of dying if you are under 65 years are LOW and even over 65 the risks are now estimated between 2-8% depending on comorbidities- guess what, the risks for people in that age group who get the flu are pretty high too EVEN with vaccination.
4. Social distancing is the most appropriate reaction at this point.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:22 pm

jayk238 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:13 pm

3. Your risks of dying if you are under 65 years are LOW and even over 65 the risks are now estimated between 2-8% depending on comorbidities- guess

You can hit people in the face all you want about only 2-8% mortality, but all anyone cares about is themselves.
If they die, they are dead, and it is 100% for them. LOL.

M.Lee

Post by M.Lee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:36 pm

KlangFool wrote:
M.Lee wrote:

M.Lee,

KlangFool
Klang, because the store does not offer that service. It's McCaffrey's Market. You can google it. I think only the larger grocery outlets offer such services and they are having problems getting personal shoppers and delivery people.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:13 pm

M.Lee wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:36 pm
KlangFool wrote:
M.Lee wrote:

M.Lee,

KlangFool
Klang, because the store does not offer that service. It's McCaffrey's Market. You can google it. I think only the larger grocery outlets offer such services and they are having problems getting personal shoppers and delivery people.
M.Lee,

I would call them and ask. It won't hurt to try.

KlangFool

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:35 pm

I know McCaffrey's Market.
Aren't you able to order from Wegman's via Instacart?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:02 pm

^^^ I also know who they are.

How about Peapod? One of my coworkers uses the service for a family member in an assisted living center. Works fine.

There's also Amazon Fresh.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:26 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:45 pm
M.Lee wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:51 am
Finridge wrote:

As many media outlets are having to enforce their copyrights more carefully and retrench on subscription revenue as ad saturation devalues that revenue stream, it is increasingly beneficial to discussions to accompany links with summaries , fair use excerpts (brief quotes that help convey the themes of an article), or both.
It's not behind a firewall for me. Now If I try the browser in private mode, all of the sudden there is a firewall.

I don't blame them, they have bills to pay also.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:30 pm

Wings5 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:14 pm
I’m worried that a mental health crisis springs from this social isolation. Our kids don’t understand what’s going on. I think the most widespread fever Americans will get is cabin fever. I don’t say that to make light of illnesses and deaths, but to point out the unintended side effects of isolations and cancellations.

We made a run for the library and checked out the maximum number of books. Tomorrow we are having the kids make lists of things they want to learn about, movies they want to watch, etc. We will try to take plenty of hikes and walks around the neighborhood as a family to keep from going crazy. We bought plenty of food—not because WE wanted to but because everyone else was, right? 😉

I work at an airline so we are hoping to weather the storm as best we can and with a sense of humor. Be kind to each other!
I wish the moderators had left the kids/Coronavirus thread as a stand alone thread because I think the mental health aspect with respect to kids especially is going to be an increasingly significant issue.

I have a teen at home and it is today the first day of spring break. They have been set up for distance learning after the break if they need it, but school closing hasn't been announced yet.

The problem at the moment is that her friends are not isolating and are getting together, and she wants to hang out with them also. And if she was at school with them yesterday, it's hard to tell her that she can't see them going forward.

I also know that the social aspect of school is really important to her mental health. SHe gets down when she doesn't see her friends regularly, and I'm worried about how to keep her spirits up as this unfolds.

I'm in a high risk category (asthma) or I don't think I'd worry about it. I'm seriously wondering if I should quarantine myself within the house so that she can continue to have a more normal existence....

M.Lee

Post by M.Lee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:32 pm

Nyc10036 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:35 pm
I know McCaffrey's Market.
Aren't you able to order from Wegman's via Instacart?
Hmmm, I don't know. I do shop at Wegman's occasionally but it is 20 miles from me. I'll check. I don't mind driving at all so long as I don't have to go into the store. I'm old, but fit....just old :D

Lady Geek, I don't know Peapod, but I'll google it. Amazon fresh doesn't do my area. I'm in NJ right on the Bucks County Line. A new McCaffreys opened up just 7 or so miles from me and it's a smooth drive and super nice store with pleasant employees. Sure beats Shop-rite which was my other close-by store.

Edited to add: Ok, I just checked. Wegman's in my area has the cart pick up service. However, like all the other stores, the have strict limits on everything and are out of a lot. Still, I love their foods, so thank you for alerting me of this. I checked Peapod too. If I used them, I'd have to buy from Giant. I was only in that store once and didn't like it at all. Still, beggars can't be chooser so that is another option for me. Thanks you guys for letting me know about this.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:41 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:20 am
I read an article that said the NBA season suspension really got a lot of attention and many others then followed suit.
I personally know the two NBA players that tested positive (Mitchell and Gobert), the Utah Jazz are one of my employer's primary corporate partners and Mitchell is our most popular sponsored athlete. Luckily, since the season began I hadn't had much face-to-face interaction with them; I've previously been in several videos with both guys. When this news came out it got real at my employer and in the surrounding area, immediately. Everybody that could work remotely was sent home, and based on pictures from wife and friends, it looks like they headed straight to the grocery store.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:15 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34 pm
jayk238 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:06 pm
Did you get the flu shot? Because you are more likely to die from it - heuristic bias,

I wouldnt worry about it. I wouldnt buy masks. And im a front line professional in healthcare.
+1

1100+ people have died from the coronavirus this year. 100,000 people have died from cancer in the same time frame. Perhaps you should ask what you are doing to prevent yourself from getting cancer.
My how times have changed.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:19 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:15 pm
lthenderson wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34 pm
jayk238 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:06 pm
Did you get the flu shot? Because you are more likely to die from it - heuristic bias,

I wouldnt worry about it. I wouldnt buy masks. And im a front line professional in healthcare.
+1

1100+ people have died from the coronavirus this year. 100,000 people have died from cancer in the same time frame. Perhaps you should ask what you are doing to prevent yourself from getting cancer.
My how times have changed.
Approaching 6000 deaths for corona virus and have lost more than that due to cancer since I posted it so the corona virus still has a long ways to go to catch up.