Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
halfnine

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by halfnine »

Kenkat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:41 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:33 am
halfnine wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:24 am If you run out of food you won't need much in the way of toilet paper. I am surpised that people seem to be stocking more toilet paper than food.
In the Soviet Union, sausages contained 42% toilet paper.

Victoria
Now this is funny!
If it helped one feel full and was self cleansing it would be a win-win.

edited for really poor spelling
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Corsair wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:44 pm
Kenkat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:40 pm
Corsair wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:26 pm Went to get groceries in the hotbed of King County, WA and I was the only one wearing a surgical mask (got them in Jan when I saw China doing its thing). People either don't care or don't know.

Church service has been moved to online only. Stocked up in Jan and Feb :beer Did buy more pet food recently.
Unless you are sick, a mask doesn’t really help you.
Not true, they're saying it can stay in the air for up to three hours. On surfaces for days. Prevents me from touching my face at minimum.
"If you are NOT sick: You do not need to wear a facemask unless you are caring for someone who is sick (and they are not able to wear a facemask). Facemasks may be in short supply and they should be saved for caregivers."
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... ntion.html
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Seasonal wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:22 pm
Corsair wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:26 pm Went to get groceries in the hotbed of King County, WA and I was the only one wearing a surgical mask (got them in Jan when I saw China doing its thing). People either don't care or don't know.

Church service has been moved to online only. Stocked up in Jan and Feb :beer Did buy more pet food recently.
Not true, they're saying it can stay in the air for up to three hours. On surfaces for days. Prevents me from touching my face at minimum.
"If you are NOT sick: You do not need to wear a facemask unless you are caring for someone who is sick (and they are not able to wear a facemask). Facemasks may be in short supply and they should be saved for caregivers."
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... ntion.html
I bought mine in January. There were plenty. The US gov, CDC, etc. could have done the same at that time. Why is everyone in Asia wearing them if they don't do anything?
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
M.Lee

Post by M.Lee »

Corsair wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:44 pm Not true, they're saying it can stay in the air for up to three hours. On surfaces for days. Prevents me from touching my face at minimum.
I think they are not recommending masks due to concern about having a shortage of them for medical professionals. They must give some protection if the virus is in the air. If they can prevent the virus from getting out from an infected person wearing one, then why wouldn't it prevent the virus from getting in?

I didn't buy any specifically for the virus, but I do have some I bought a long while ago for working in dust. I didn't even realize they were the N95 kind until recently.
downshiftme

Post by downshiftme »

Outside of clinical settings, we have been told repeatedly that masks do not help. Even if they did, they are more or less unobtainable and I haven't got any. But I do have a "mask" that I made for home use to practice not touching my face. I've been really surprised by how often I do so without thinking, and it is a useful training aid to wear a fake mask while I try to develop the skill of not touching my face.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:51 am
Sandtrap wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:39 am The threat of Cornavirus is running out of "toilet paper" :oops:

To guard one's toilet paper? :confused

Not sure of the relationships here. . . . . .

j :confused
According to the popular meme going around, every time someone coughs, everyone around them... er... soils themselves.

Me personally having a bidet in our house and having traveled in countries where scoops of water and hands are the only thing available, I could go the rest of my life without toilet paper. I prefer not to but I could if I have too.
Remind me not to shake you hand if we ever meet :D
mjk280

Post by mjk280 »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:51 pm
Kenkat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:47 pm

Yes, but the mask doesn’t protect you from that unless it is the N95 variety, properly sized and fitted and you also protect your eyes and follow strict protocols for removal when clear.
There are way too many respirator experts coming out of the woodwork. Almost all (if not all) disposable N95s are one size fits all, so what does "properly sized and fitted" mean? Sure you need to wear the mask properly, and some rare individuals with very small facial features can't wear the N95.
You need to be mask fit for N95 as there are different sizes and styles otherwise you can’t be sure it’s effective. I do mask fits for caregivers in my ICU. As a healthcare worker they have changed guidelines to droplet rather then airborne isolation so we don’t get N95 other then special procedures.
There have been multiple incidents now where people have stolen boxes of masks from our emergency department putting a further strain on our supplies.
raveon

Post by raveon »

Install bidets. https://www.amazon.com/ID-MAX-Handheld- ... =686953011

Reduce the need for toilet paper. Helps to ease the paranoia / mass hysteria.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

mjk280 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:57 pm There have been multiple incidents now where people have stolen boxes of masks from our emergency department putting a further strain on our supplies.
Hmm...stealing important medical supplies from a hospital during a pandemic. It seems whoever did that didn't post in this thread first to share their plan. It might be both illegal and immoral, but it's certainly one method of preparing.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Costco this morning. Central San Diego. Lines back all the way through the store to the meat section. Holy cow.

The employees were doing an excellent job of managing the crowds, and lines were moving quickly. Everything was in stock except hand sanitizer. One employee said they were getting it in every night, but it is selling out the first 10 minutes after they open in the morning. Bottled water was limited to 2 cases per person. 4/5 carts had either toilet paper, paper towels, or water. Or all 3. We, of course, had a cart full of meat. And a rotisserie chicken. We had plenty of toilet paper, but decided not to go through the apocalypse underfed.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
longterm100

Post by longterm100 »

Stocked up on approx 8 weeks of food for a family
Of 2 and a baby and two dogs. In theory we don’t need to leave our house for 8 weeks if needed. Followed some advice on foods to get from this thread. Just been notified to work from home and no business travel allowed (until the end of April). Have plenty of wine, beer and spirits. Have Netflix and amazon prime. Going to revisit my reading list. May try and only look at the news twice a day. Have a large plot of land so will spend time outside with the dogs. Cars are full of gas if we do need to go anywhere.
HettyGreenIsMyHero

Post by HettyGreenIsMyHero »

Our schools (Kentucky) will be closed starting Monday for 2 weeks plus another week for Spring Break. So I prepared tonight by buying vodka. :sharebeer
dru808

Post by dru808 »

So pissed off at everyone hoarding n95 respirators. These are sold for construction use and are unavailable everywhere. Painters, carpenters, demolition crews and tile installers need these respirators daily. Geez
60% SCHK | 25% VIGI | 15% ILTB
Socrates

well things are very different today

Post by Socrates »

Costco was in complete crisis mode......I came in at 10:00 because they have been out of toilet paper for three days and well, I need TP!

People were actually running into the store (I admit- I kinda jogged in myself) . It was packed and easily a third of the people in there had gloves and masks on. One man rammed his cart into another (with a kid in it) to beat the line to get to the TP. Costco staff were rationing out TP and paper towels (staff of six). Lines were easily 4 times the normal length. I looked around and everyone had 2 large packs of TP, Paper towels and flats of water. Absolutely crazy.....forget rubbing alcohol (my wife uses it to clean our granite counters), I went to several stores and sold out.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.
Socrates

side note

Post by Socrates »

I work for a community college in Northern California and we are switching to online instruction as of next Wednesday.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

I am presently part of a US Census field crew in rural Eastern Washington state. I took a couple of guys around today as part of their training, and the first door we knocked on, their was a woman who was so afraid of potential corona virus infection that she wouldn't even open the door. Another guy two doors down was working in his garden and didn't say boo about the virus. All the other doors we knocked on---people weren't home, either because they were at work or, since this is a resort area, not home due to it being the off season. I went to the grocery store the day before and it was your typical day, no hoarders buying everything in sight. My brother and his family live in Seattle though, and the kids are home, as they've closed the schools for the next six weeks.

We did have a couple of trainees ask if it was ok to wear gloves, but our supervisors felt that, for now, might panic people unnecessarily. Some folks were curious whether they were going to cancel or delay the Census. Our group is at or near the bottom of the census food chain, so no one knows nuth'in. I'm curious how the Census might be handling things in more populated areas.

PS: I am not an official spokesperson for the Census.
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:09 pm
rjbraun wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:12 pm
petras52 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:19 am Other than what is commonly recommended, I have purchased an extra box of cold-eeze zinc lozenges. I've used them for years at the first sign of a cold. Most of the time, they stopped my colds from progressing within a day or two. There's recent reports of a 70's era virologist/pathologist who studied other strains of coronavirus and found back then that zinc was an effective treatment. Today he theorizes that taking zinc early may also be effective with this strain.
This is the first I've heard of these. How do they taste? I saw some cherry flavored ones on Amazon just now. $29 for a box of 18, which I assume it's marked up some, at this point
DH has been taking these for quite a few years.

I finally/recently tried one, without taking another/fresh look at the "side effects". After all, he's taken them for years, right?
Let's just say that "nausea" is listed. :shock:

I think there is a nasal spray version, and I might try that...

RM
Be careful with spraying zinc up your nose. About a decade ago, there was publicity about Zicam nasal spray causing a permanent loss of sense of smell.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I'm in a bit of a quandary and wondering if I am over-reacting. When my nephew called me three weeks ago and said he left his wife and could he stay with me, I said without hesitation yes. He knows he has until June 1 to find another place; I think that is ample time to find an apt.

In the meanwhile, he is scheduled to fly on business next week to meet a new client and they are changing planes in Atlanta. The trip is not going to be canceled unless the client cancels it. I'm a bit freaked out about it and in fact and up awake now. I'm in the elderly age group and am allergic to many of the medications used as decongestants (a simple cold for me is a week of sheer misery). I feel like saying you have to find another place when you return. That would be difficult for him. Am I being too freaked out about this?
Boglemama

Post by Boglemama »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:28 am I'm in a bit of a quandary and wondering if I am over-reacting. When my nephew called me three weeks ago and said he left his wife and could he stay with me, I said without hesitation yes. He knows he has until June 1 to find another place; I think that is ample time to find an apt.

In the meanwhile, he is scheduled to fly on business next week to meet a new client and they are changing planes in Atlanta. The trip is not going to be canceled unless the client cancels it. I'm a bit freaked out about it and in fact and up awake now. I'm in the elderly age group and am allergic to many of the medications used as decongestants (a simple cold for me is a week of sheer misery). I feel like saying you have to find another place when you return. That would be difficult for him. Am I being too freaked out about this?
I completely understand your concern. Since you are older I would be concerned as well. Please talk to him. He should cancel this trip, as many people are canceling unnecessary trips. He could meet with the person virtually.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Kennedy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:16 am
ResearchMed wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:09 pm
rjbraun wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:12 pm
petras52 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:19 am Other than what is commonly recommended, I have purchased an extra box of cold-eeze zinc lozenges. I've used them for years at the first sign of a cold. Most of the time, they stopped my colds from progressing within a day or two. There's recent reports of a 70's era virologist/pathologist who studied other strains of coronavirus and found back then that zinc was an effective treatment. Today he theorizes that taking zinc early may also be effective with this strain.
This is the first I've heard of these. How do they taste? I saw some cherry flavored ones on Amazon just now. $29 for a box of 18, which I assume it's marked up some, at this point
DH has been taking these for quite a few years.

I finally/recently tried one, without taking another/fresh look at the "side effects". After all, he's taken them for years, right?
Let's just say that "nausea" is listed. :shock:

I think there is a nasal spray version, and I might try that...

RM
Be careful with spraying zinc up your nose. About a decade ago, there was publicity about Zicam nasal spray causing a permanent loss of sense of smell.
Thank you for mentioning this!
We'll double check, and probably I will not use the nasal spray. I already had a very unpleasant experience with the oral version.

Thanks again.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

My sister who may or may not have Covid-19 along with the flu.
Sent this link: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/opinions ... index.html

anything to push the germs into the nose such as neti pots are a no-no.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Just paid $1.84 for gasoline. I didn’t expect to see sub $2 gas. It will be interesting to see how low it goes as lower cost oil makes its way thru the refinery and distribution system.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

I can confirm the shortage of n95 masks for emergency workers. My employer has not been able to obtain them and we are being told REUSE them :confused :confused :confused. 1 per person.

If anyone has extras you should consider donating them to your local hospital workers, first responders, or nursing home workers.
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

Nyc10036 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:56 am My sister who may or may not have Covid-19 along with the flu.
Sent this link: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/opinions ... index.html

anything to push the germs into the nose such as neti pots are a no-no.
Thats interesting. I just used mine yesterday, figured it would help if anything. Didn't really think about it. Think I'll stop using it for a while :)
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

IMHO, Singapore is the model to follow on preparedness, watch their leader and content of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaoVg6ejgRQ

Yes, it's a little over the top at times, but direction-ally excellent. Any people in Singapore, care to comment?
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack »

raveon wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:46 pm Install bidets. https://www.amazon.com/ID-MAX-Handheld- ... =686953011

Reduce the need for toilet paper. Helps to ease the paranoia / mass hysteria.
The silver lining in a crisis like this would be to wean people off toilet paper.
We prepared by joining the Costco checkout line and entertained ourselves looking at everyone else's cart. It was just a normal mid-week grocery run for us.

The time to panic would be if (A) utilities get turned off and (B) we experience food shortages.
However, I don't anticipate A happening because it didn't even in Wuhan. And if B happens, well 40% of the US population is obese anyway so maybe there's another silver lining.
PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:28 am I'm in a bit of a quandary and wondering if I am over-reacting. When my nephew called me three weeks ago and said he left his wife and could he stay with me, I said without hesitation yes. He knows he has until June 1 to find another place; I think that is ample time to find an apt.

Yes, he needs to find another place ASAP. Since you're in a high risk group, he needs to quarantine himself from you for a minimum of 14 days after he returns from the trip. So, no moving back in while he looks for another place. He returns from the trip and immediately goes someplace other than your home for at least 14 days. Whether or not it's safe for him to then return to your home while he quickly finds other arrangements is questionable if he's still out and about in a community at large.
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

jayk238 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:06 pm
TomCat96 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:56 pm We have a number of threads on Coronavirus, but I want this one to specifically focus on consumer issues and how you are preparing.

The way I see it, risk of infection is not the same as risk of quarantine; or to put things even more broadly, risk of weathering the effects of quarantine. I do not need to be exposed to be quarantined, I don't even need to be around people who are exposed. All that need happen is that I be around people who are suspected of being exposed.

In the same vein, one does not need to be hit by a hurricane to weather shortages in supplies.

My prep so far:

1. Stocking up on disposable N95 masks. Easier said than done.
2. Stocking up on all non-perishable consumables. (Lotion, Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, etc)
3. Stocking up on long lasting consumables. Rice, Oatmeal, water, cereal, peanut butter, wine, dried meats, oil & spices, beans.

What if anything are you doing to prepare?

Stocking up on masks when there is a mask shortage,
Is, ironically probably going to increase the risk of spreading the virus when people who need it cant get it.

Did you get the flu shot? Because you are more likely to die from it - heuristic bias,

Worrying about quarantines when 13 people have it in a country of 300 million here is a lot.

The death toll from the h1n1 was far more.
The number of people infected compared with deaths is a lot better than h1n1.

I wouldnt worry about it. I wouldnt buy masks. And im a front line professional in healthcare.
As a front line medical professional, do you still recommend not worrying about this?
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Maverick3320 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:37 pmAs a front line medical professional, do you still recommend not worrying about this?
With all due respect the front line medical professionals, epidemiologists and other public health experts know much more than front line health professionals who are not experts in these matters.
GCD

Post by GCD »

Seasonal wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:42 pm
Maverick3320 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:37 pmAs a front line medical professional, do you still recommend not worrying about this?
With all due respect the front line medical professionals, epidemiologists and other public health experts know much more than front line health professionals who are not experts in these matters.
Part of the problem is the wildly mixed messages coming from medical personnel. Also the fact that everyone, in their own profession, knows people that are awesome on paper but a clown show in real life. In law I'd really rather be represented in a murder trial by a 95th+ percentile wills and trusts attorney than a 5th- percentile criminal defense attorney. The top percentile in every profession I'm familiar with can transcend specialty and perform better than the dregs of the specialists. Holding a top position and having a great resume doesn't mean you are competent or can articulate things clearly. So with all the divergent messaging it's pretty easy for confirmation bias to take over and everyone just finds an expert they agree with.

There could very well be front line health professionals giving out better advice than the weaker epidemiologists. Or not.

I hate to preach nihilism, but I don't know enough about medicine to separate the wheat from the chaff.

But regardless of how you feel about the virus, you still need to prepare for the second and third order effects of government intervention and public panic.
Last edited by GCD on Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dru808

Post by dru808 »

FI4LIFE wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:41 am I can confirm the shortage of n95 masks for emergency workers. My employer has not been able to obtain them and we are being told REUSE them :confused :confused :confused. 1 per person.

If anyone has extras you should consider donating them to your local hospital workers, first responders, or nursing home workers.

This, not only medical workers, these masks at Home Depot are specifically for construction workers that rely on these masks daily, drywallers, carpenters, demo crews. Stop buying masks if you aren’t a medical professional or a construction worker.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Boglemama wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:19 am

I completely understand your concern. Since you are older I would be concerned as well. Please talk to him. He should cancel this trip, as many people are canceling unnecessary trips. He could meet with the person virtually.
+1. Or, if he feels he must go, let him know he needs to stay in a hotel for 14 days after coming back.
GCD

Post by GCD »

You aren't overreacting. My mom's retirement home went into lockdown with nobody in or out yesterday. Apparently someone flew domestically and has a confirmed case of Coronavirus a few blocks from her retirement home. This is in Mitchell, SD, home of the Corn Palace, aka "middle-of-nowhere". It's on you to isolate yourself and your nephew really isn't helping.
Last edited by GCD on Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dru808

Re: well things are very different today

Post by dru808 »

Socrates wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:47 pm Costco was in complete crisis mode......I came in at 10:00 because they have been out of toilet paper for three days and well, I need TP!

People were actually running into the store (I admit- I kinda jogged in myself) . It was packed and easily a third of the people in there had gloves and masks on. One man rammed his cart into another (with a kid in it) to beat the line to get to the TP. Costco staff were rationing out TP and paper towels (staff of six). Lines were easily 4 times the normal length. I looked around and everyone had 2 large packs of TP, Paper towels and flats of water. Absolutely crazy.....forget rubbing alcohol (my wife uses it to clean our granite counters), I went to several stores and sold out.
Funny, we also use rubbing alcohol to clean everything, counters, appliances, toothbrushes, everything a Clorox wipe and more is effective for, we had a stockpile before the hoarding.

We had very little hand sanitizer, wife wanted me to buy some, I said no, we’ve got a ton of alcohol we can use as sanitizer.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

dru808 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:06 pm
We had very little hand sanitizer, wife wanted me to buy some, I said no, we’ve got a ton of alcohol we can use as sanitizer.
The straight alcohol needs to be at the right concentration. And it will be very drying to your hands compared to the hand sanitizer (which can also be drying, as can hand washing, but not as bad as plain alcohol).
dru808

Post by dru808 »

The overreaction is hilarious. The good thing about this is It’s a boost for the few companies that make sanitizer, masks, alcohol etc. I’d not accept any returns for products sold during this silliness if I ran one of these corporations.
dru808

Post by dru808 »

clip651 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:11 pm
dru808 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:06 pm
The straight alcohol needs to be at the right concentration. And it will be very drying to your hands compared to the hand sanitizer (which can also be drying, as can hand washing, but not as bad as plain alcohol).
70% rubbing alcohol has been used on my face for years. I’m not worried about drying my hands.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

CDC tells people over 60 or who have chronic illnesses like diabetes to stock up on goods and buckle down for a lengthy stay at home
The CDC is recommending people with underlying conditions or who are over 60 to stock up on medications, household items and groceries to stay at home “for a period of time,” she said. The U.S. government recommended travelers with underlying health conditions avoid taking any cruises anywhere in the world. “We also recommend people at higher risk avoid non-essential travel, such as long plane trips,” she said.
The CDC is recommending that people at higher risk avoid crowds, touching “high-touch” surfaces in public areas and close contact with people who are sick.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/09/many-am ... lainternal

I was talking to a friend yesterday afternoon who told me that she went to Walmart and they were totally out of SPAM and very low on canned soup. This is in the Las Vegas area.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
rob65

Re: side note

Post by rob65 »

Socrates wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:48 pm I work for a community college in Northern California and we are switching to online instruction as of next Wednesday.
I work at a two year school in Georgia. The whole University system is closing for two weeks starting on Monday. (One of those is our spring break anyway.) Best guess is that we go fully online starting the following week.
smitcat

Re: side note

Post by smitcat »

rob65 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:24 pm
Socrates wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:48 pm I work for a community college in Northern California and we are switching to online instruction as of next Wednesday.
I work at a two year school in Georgia. The whole University system is closing for two weeks starting on Monday. (One of those is our spring break anyway.) Best guess is that we go fully online starting the following week.
Perhaps many of these schools can go online permanently.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

7eight9 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:22 pm CDC tells people over 60 or who have chronic illnesses like diabetes to stock up on goods and buckle down for a lengthy stay at home
The CDC is recommending people with underlying conditions or who are over 60 to stock up on medications, household items and groceries to stay at home “for a period of time,” she said. The U.S. government recommended travelers with underlying health conditions avoid taking any cruises anywhere in the world. “We also recommend people at higher risk avoid non-essential travel, such as long plane trips,” she said.
The CDC is recommending that people at higher risk avoid crowds, touching “high-touch” surfaces in public areas and close contact with people who are sick.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/09/many-am ... lainternal

I was talking to a friend yesterday afternoon who told me that she went to Walmart and they were totally out of SPAM and very low on canned soup. This is in the Las Vegas area.
There is a high population of Hawaii Islanders in Las Vegas.
That's were the SPAM is going.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

dru808 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:00 pm
FI4LIFE wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:41 am I can confirm the shortage of n95 masks for emergency workers. My employer has not been able to obtain them and we are being told REUSE them :confused :confused :confused. 1 per person.

This, not only medical workers, these masks at Home Depot are specifically for construction workers that rely on these masks daily, drywallers, carpenters, demo crews. Stop buying masks if you aren’t a medical professional or a construction worker.
+1
I used to buy cases of N95 masks when I had my construction company. Later, also when working with the crews doing apartment and building renovations. (drywall indoors is a drag)
DW and I both have allergies so we use the N95 masks and external face/head masks when mowing acreage, in the stables, DIY, and other tasks from carpentry to welding. They last a long time and can be reused if they are quality items and not smashed up. But, if paint fumes or other fumes get imbedded, then they get tossed.
Unfortunately, except for cartridge filter types, there are few cost effective alternatives in tradeswork.
A must to save the lungs that I have left. . . . . :confused

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

GCD wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:56 pm
Seasonal wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:42 pm
Part of the problem is the wildly mixed messages coming from medical personnel. Also the fact that everyone, in their own profession, knows people that are awesome on paper but a clown show in real life. In law I'd really rather be represented in a murder trial by a 95th+ percentile wills and trusts attorney than a 5th- percentile criminal defense attorney. The top percentile in every profession I'm familiar with can transcend specialty and perform better than the dregs of the specialists. Holding a top position and having a great resume doesn't mean you are competent or can articulate things clearly. So with all the divergent messaging it's pretty easy for confirmation bias to take over and everyone just finds an expert they agree with.

There could very well be front line health professionals giving out better advice than the weaker epidemiologists. Or not.

I hate to preach nihilism, but I don't know enough about medicine to separate the wheat from the chaff.

But regardless of how you feel about the virus, you still need to prepare for the second and third order effects of government intervention and public panic.
+1
Great points well articulated.
DW and I were just talking about this this morning.

The effects of panic (toilet paper!), etc, etc, might, in time, dwarf the primary effects of the virus itself.

Like a herd of stampeding African Wildebeast taking off across the plains because one of them got spooked by. . something.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

7eight9 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:22 pmI was talking to a friend yesterday afternoon who told me that she went to Walmart and they were totally out of SPAM and very low on canned soup. This is in the Las Vegas area.
Yesterday, in Utah, both our local stores were out of pretty much all non-perishable food. Yes, my wife was part of the problem. Despite us not needing anything, she just had to buy something. She planned on buying as much rolled oats/oat groats, tuna, pasta, rice/quinoa, and canned veggies as she could but managed to only get a few bags of pasta and the last few cans of tuna off the shelves...and then waited more than an hour to checkout. Absolute pandemonium.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Don't need no stinking TP; just use the 3 seashell method!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... =12o5tuec5

- Ron
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:47 pm There is a high population of Hawaii Islanders in Las Vegas.
That's were the SPAM is going.
Vegas is often referred to “the ninth island”
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Thanks to y'all for your responses to the above posting of mine and that I was not being unreasonable. I did tell him he had to find another place and sent him the link to the CDC's website regarding travel when you have a senior living with you. A few minutes ago, his company canceled all travel by plane. Looks like the message is sinking in.

I am stocked up on groceries, meds, batteries, cat litter and cat food. I have made several runs to Lowe's for mulch. Looks like I will be spending even more time in the yard this year than last. I have a garden bed by my small vegetable garden that I have been using for annuals; I'll let the family know they can use it for vegetables if they want.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:40 pm I am stocked up on groceries, meds, batteries, cat litter and cat food.
But do you have toilet paper? Apparently you need toilet paper, lots and lots of toilet paper.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

In eastern Washington, there is virtually no toilet paper or paper towels in most stores. Ramen noodles and several types of pasta are nearly gone, and many canned food items are significantly depleted. The grocery stores are packed. Many shelves are bare.

With the governor's ban on social gatherings of more than 250 people, I expect that most malls will shortly close as well.

I hope not, but this could be coming to a state near you (or your own).
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Ya know, I woulda thought that people would be stocked up by now, and that the tide would be turning on the stores being out of everything.

I guess not.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.