Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Momus

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by Momus »

Enjoy it while it last. Wait 1 more month. We gonna see 10k cases soon :sharebeer

https://youtu.be/cZFhjMQrVts

Imagine paying 50-60k/yr to sit a home doing online courses at Harvard. Harvard told their students to not come to campus lol... We are just starting here.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

alfaspider wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:44 am
Nyc10036 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:33 am
BoggledHead2 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:27 am
alfaspider wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:26 am
BoggledHead2 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:19 am

I live outside of NYC, and there is a difference between hysteria and legitimate concern

Legitimate concern: My mom is over 80
Hysteria: I just bought every FaceMask/Lysol/Purell product within a 10 mile radius

Best of luck to you - and your mother.
Sure, but you should have a legitimate concern every flu season for older and more vulnerable people. Again, even in China, more people in at-risk groups died from the flue this year.
Coronavirus is the new media boogeyman, overriding facts like this. Thank you
Like I said. You obviously haven't had a case hit close to home.

People tend to behave and think differently when it is about them and not someone else.
People are inherently all about them. LOL.

From a point of strict rationality, your personal experience should be irrelevant in evaluating a broad societal risk. The fact that YOU were mugged doesn't change crime statistics (well, other than a +1 on crime numbers), and the fact that YOU were exposed to a disease does not change underlying facts about the disease.

That doesn't minimize the experience of those who were harmed, but to say one should look holistically at risks to life and limb rather than focusing on the current risk that is being most talked about. The mundane risks that we have come to accept tend to be the ones that get us, not the unusual risks.
But people do let personal experience dictate their actions.

You can pooh-pooh them, and smugly calling them hysterical, but I won't.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

2 kids in my town tested positive. They closed the schools.

My older son is on between term break. He's seen a message from one of his professors that the school is considering a 2 week delay. That's a tough thing to do when the term is 7 weeks and commencement is 11 days from the last day of the term on a Saturday. First summer term starts 2 days later on Monday.

Older son in community college has spring break next week. Nothing said yet.

State is in declared state of emergency.

A forward looking hoarding commodity is diet coke (I'm not even making that up). I used up the rest of my CVS gift cards that I got as sears/citi thank you points bonuses at 10% of my spend (which was $4k). 4 12 packs of diet coke and 2 of diet dr pepper.....all on sale, of course.

I'm avoiding mid-westerners.

My office is 65 feet from the nearest co-worker. I'm self isolating at work.

This weekend, I plan to self isolate by offroading with my Jeep club. I hear getting over difficult boulders increases one's immune system.

On the financial side, I've tax loss harvested in my taxable account. I've wanted to shift from dividend paying SCHB to non-dividend paying BRK/b anyways, so this is a tax free way to make the shift.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Nyc10036 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:57 am
alfaspider wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:44 am
Nyc10036 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:33 am
BoggledHead2 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:27 am
alfaspider wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:26 am

Sure, but you should have a legitimate concern every flu season for older and more vulnerable people. Again, even in China, more people in at-risk groups died from the flue this year.
Coronavirus is the new media boogeyman, overriding facts like this. Thank you
Like I said. You obviously haven't had a case hit close to home.

People tend to behave and think differently when it is about them and not someone else.
People are inherently all about them. LOL.

From a point of strict rationality, your personal experience should be irrelevant in evaluating a broad societal risk. The fact that YOU were mugged doesn't change crime statistics (well, other than a +1 on crime numbers), and the fact that YOU were exposed to a disease does not change underlying facts about the disease.

That doesn't minimize the experience of those who were harmed, but to say one should look holistically at risks to life and limb rather than focusing on the current risk that is being most talked about. The mundane risks that we have come to accept tend to be the ones that get us, not the unusual risks.
But people do let personal experience dictate their actions.

You can pooh-pooh them, and smugly calling them hysterical, but I won't.

I didn't call them hysterical, and I understand why someone places outsized importance on something based on their experience. But that doesn't make them rational from a strict point of view.

One example: my great grandfather died in his 40s from a spider bite (after surviving combat in WWI). Not the venom itself, but from a related infection in the days before antibiotics were available. Would it have made a ton of sense for my grandmother to go her whole life paralyzed by fear of spiders because one killed her father? The personal experience didn't change the fact that the chances of being killed by a spider are astronomical. So too are your chances of you or an immediate family member dying from Coronavirus any time in the near future.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:01 am 2 kids in my town tested positive. They closed the schools.
My stepfather texted last night, they are closing his school district (he's a high school English teacher) for 2 weeks. There are 2 confirmed cases in the state, neither one of them in the county he teaches in. He's happy about the paid vacation, but a little bewildered.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

The general public is not aware of the reasons why most of these closings take place.
It is a combination of known cases and patient history that is used to make most of these calls.
Since the patient information is mostly confidential it may appear that these moves are arbitrary without knowing all of the information.
We have a number of first responders and healthcare workers that we are close to and the stories about isolating certain groups and areas make much more sense when they add some of the other missing information.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:01 am I'm avoiding mid-westerners.
It’s ok; we’ve been avoiding you for years... :happy
HettyGreenIsMyHero

Post by HettyGreenIsMyHero »

I am taking several immune supplements, mostly to try to avoid the flu or stomach bug. Fyi zinc seems to cause nausea on an empty stomach. Using hand wipes whenever I've been out. Costco had limit of 2 packs of toilet paper etc per day when I went today, but they were fully stocked from truck that came in. So I guess I'm not actually doing much? A handful of cases so far in Kentucky.
thereisnoalpha

Post by thereisnoalpha »

Worth canceling a dentist appointment for Friday?
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

HettyGreenIsMyHero wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:43 am I am taking several immune supplements, mostly to try to avoid the flu or stomach bug. Fyi zinc seems to cause nausea on an empty stomach. Using hand wipes whenever I've been out. Costco had limit of 2 packs of toilet paper etc per day when I went today, but they were fully stocked from truck that came in. So I guess I'm not actually doing much? A handful of cases so far in Kentucky.
A handful of confirmed cases or a handful of cases? There appears to be a major lack of testing capacity, making it rather difficult to know.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

thereisnoalpha wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:47 am Worth canceling a dentist appointment for Friday?
99.5 yo MIL had a dental cleaning scheduled for tomorrow, and DH was going to take her to the dentist's office.
(They used to come to the ALF - Assisted Living Facility - but had to stop due to liability insurance or such.)
Who knows who was in the waiting room chairs or even the procedure chair earlier, and we are in an area just declared as a state of emergency, with an outbreak nearby.

He's just cancelled the appointment, since it's not an urgent dental need.

If 99.5 isn't "elderly", I don't know what is!

She's sharp as a tack, and enjoys bridge daily.
I just hope DH has some of her "good genes" :happy
And her good teeth!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

There's three camps.

Camp 1: The flu is worse because it is more widespread, more deaths, what's the big deal, this goes away with the warm weather
Camp 2: Lockdown/Focus. If COVID-19 spreads unchecked, there is risk of it being 20X worse than the flu, and our health care system will be overrun, we run out of hospital beds, have to prioritize who gets care
Camp 3: Camp 2 converts from Camp 1, by stressed healthcare systems

Camp 1: No Proven Examples

Camp 2: South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong

Camp 3: China, Italy

Camp TBD: Rest of the planet
HettyGreenIsMyHero

Post by HettyGreenIsMyHero »

Seasonal wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:42 am
HettyGreenIsMyHero wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:43 am I am taking several immune supplements, mostly to try to avoid the flu or stomach bug. Fyi zinc seems to cause nausea on an empty stomach. Using hand wipes whenever I've been out. Costco had limit of 2 packs of toilet paper etc per day when I went today, but they were fully stocked from truck that came in. So I guess I'm not actually doing much? A handful of cases so far in Kentucky.
A handful of confirmed cases or a handful of cases? There appears to be a major lack of testing capacity, making it rather difficult to know.
Last I checked 8 are confirmed, 1 in my city. Who knows how many there really are in any state with the testing issues?
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

at what point are you going to stop going to restaurants? or getting take-out? Has anyone already started that trend?

I really, really want Chinese food tonight. I think I'll get it. To hell with it :)
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

JD2775 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:34 pm at what point are you going to stop going to restaurants? or getting take-out? Has anyone already started that trend?

I really, really want Chinese food tonight. I think I'll get it. To hell with it :)
Timely article: restaurants in Seattle are a ghost town:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/us/seatt ... index.html
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

JD2775 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:34 pm at what point are you going to stop going to restaurants? or getting take-out? Has anyone already started that trend?

I haven't considered that yet, but my feelings wouldn't be hurt at all if the "mandatory" gender reveal party on my schedule this weekend were canceled. I am very pessimistic about the chances of that happening.
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

Nate79 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:45 pm

that's pretty sad. A lot of people are going to lose their jobs and a lot of places are going to shut down is my guess, if this keeps up
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

JD2775 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:47 pm
Nate79 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:45 pm

that's pretty sad. A lot of people are going to lose their jobs and a lot of places are going to shut down is my guess, if this keeps up
Chinese restaurants in particular. Also other Asian restaurants and maybe Italian restaurants. It's a totally nonsensical xenophobic reaction. Very unfortunate.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

OK, prepping level 4, heading to my contingency:

private jet prepped: check
doctor and nurse on board: check
hideway luxury home with bunker prepped, staff there: check

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... er-bunkers

Oh wait, I dreaming.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

MGM Resorts buffets on the Las Vegas Strip to close temporarily due to coronavirus concerns
Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman said she respects MGM Resorts’ efforts to keep the public safe from coronavirus – but she would not have closed the buffets. ... "This is Vegas," Goodman said. "This where when you were panicked somewhere else in the world with some problem, it was: ‘You know – I’m going to take that money, and I’m going to Las Vegas and forget my woes.'” *
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/h ... 014840002/

It would be cynical to suspect that the real reason MGM closed their buffets was due to lack of patronage.

* In Las Vegas no news is good news. Maybe that is why we have so few cases of coronavirus. :happy
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Please stay focused on preparation.

General comments (not related to preparation) can be discussed here: Bogleheads community discussion - Coronavirus
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

I think the best preparation is following the scientifically established guidelines that many city governments are propagating now. I haven't gone out and bought any supplies or anything like that, and have visited doctors and my favorite coffee shop. I talked to a few people with wrong information, like one lady yesterday that was saying covid-19 is no more dangerous than any other flu. Of course we know different today that it can actually be 10 times more deadly to certain populations. And we also know today that slowing the spread of covid-19 is important to keep the health system from becoming overstressed. So I'm all for following the credibly established guidelines like <https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... index.html> Be safe and well-- Tet
bayview

Post by bayview »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:46 pm

I haven't considered that yet, but my feelings wouldn't be hurt at all if the "mandatory" gender reveal party on my schedule this weekend were canceled. I am very pessimistic about the chances of that happening.
Tell the organizer that you aren’t coming, and why. It might flicker (presumably) her light bulb. Perhaps someone will start thinking.

Meanwhile, you have escaped a hideous social event that has helped ruin the last decade or so.

Win/win.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

bayview wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:59 pm

Tell the organizer that you aren’t coming, and why. It might flicker (presumably) her light bulb. Perhaps someone will start thinking.

Meanwhile, you have escaped a hideous social event that has helped ruin the last decade or so.

Win/win.
Although I haven't heard anything from an official source, my guess is that the virus could have bad effects on pregnant women, not to mention the fetuses, despite the fact that pregnant women are in a very low risk age group. Some contagious diseases, such as rubella, are really bad for pregnant women.

I'm surprised she hasn't already canceled the gender reveal party. I can't stand gender reveal parties, so if I were you, I'd be delighted to have a reason to skip it.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Win/win.
Be sure to cough once or twice when you are on the phone with her.

:twisted:
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

sawhorse wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:06 pm

Win/win.
Although I haven't heard anything from an official source, my guess is that the virus could have bad effects on pregnant women, not to mention the fetuses, despite the fact that pregnant women are in a very low risk age group. Some contagious diseases, such as rubella, are really bad for pregnant women.

I'm surprised she hasn't already canceled the gender reveal party. I can't stand gender reveal parties, so if I were you, I'd be delighted to have a reason to skip it.
"I heard" (so take this with a grain of salt or cinnamon or whatever, as I don't remember where) that about a dozen pregnant women in China were monitored and had seemingly healthy babies. However... these babies would probably not have been exposed in the earliest stages of development, when the risk is usually the highest.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

I have an acre of woods on my property.

I'm going to learn how to make toilet paper out of my trees.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

sawhorse wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:06 pm

Win/win.

We know people don't like these, so when we had ours we invited people over for brunch, then we brought out a cake, announced we were having a baby, and cut the cake to reveal the blue frosting. A few tried to get to the exits, but the reveal happened so fast they weren't able to get to the door in time and their weekends were then ruined.

we are hosting a baby shower on saturday.... but the mother-to-be hasn't told us to cancel yet so i'm thinking we have to proceed.

I believe numbers from china showed no mortality for pregnant women, last i checked on reddit anyways. my dw is pregnant.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
il0kin

Post by il0kin »

I purchased extra paper towels, concentrated Lysol and an extra package of cold medication at the grocery store. It’ll get used in time regardless, but in the event we have to self-quarantine, those were the most useful things I could think of having on hand.

Oh, and extra coffee :D
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Toilet Paper
You can go hungry but running out of toilet paper would be very unpleasant.
(worse if you had to harvest it from tree bark!)

Cat food
Furry friends will not be denied . . . .

Horse food
Hoofed friends will not be denied . . .

Canned whole water packed wild caught tuna
For when you run out of cat food. . . .

SPAM
A Hawaii must have. No matter how healthy one eats, this is the emergency food.

Prescription refills topped off.
Limit trips to the pharmacy where sick folks congregate.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Went to get groceries in the hotbed of King County, WA and I was the only one wearing a surgical mask (got them in Jan when I saw China doing its thing). People either don't care or don't know.

Church service has been moved to online only. Stocked up in Jan and Feb :beer Did buy more pet food recently.
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Watty wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:11 pm

Win/win.
Be sure to cough once or twice when you are on the phone with her.

:twisted:
heh heh

I'm afraid I shot my credibility when I balked at attending when the party was first announced. I voiced my latest concerns (including unknown possible effects on the fetus) as more information has been made public, but the party itself is out of my hands. The sad thing is that nobody--and I do mean nobody--on either side of the family has wanted the danged thing at all. The mother-to-be relented at the insistence of a well-meaning friend who is putting it on.

I could still refuse to go of course, but that would only create hard feelings and I will still be in the presence of several attendees in the coming days, weeks and month. Seems that wouldn't help at all. I am still hoping that common sense will take hold and someone will cancel the party.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

Whatever happens, this is going to be devastating for a lot of small businesses.

DW and I went on date night last friday to a large, usually crowded Chinese restaurant.

I live in a mostly Asian neighborhood and this restaurant is one that attracts an almost exclusively Chinese clientele.

When we left at 7pm, there was one other couple there, in a place that easily seats 200. Normally, there is a line out the door at 5:30 waiting for a table.

I can't imagine what this is doing to the local small businesses.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

My retirement group will be having dinner out on Friday, after that, we will start pot luck at folk's homes. I'm hosting in April, the garden will be in bloom, the weather should be fine and while I can't cook or make a decent cup of coffee, I do make a pretty good peanut, whiskey & cola mixed drink.
DonM17

Post by DonM17 »

If you have the time (90 minutes)...you might want to watch this interview with a viral expert:

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:42 pm Toilet Paper
I may have to load up a gun or two if word gets out I have a bidet in these times of toilet paper shortages.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:42 pm ....Toilet Paper
(worse if you had to harvest it from tree bark!)...
If you run out of food you won't need much in the way of toilet paper. I am surpised that people seem to be stocking more toilet paper than food.
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

Sudafed is on my list for today. Mine is expired. At least people can’t hoard that since you have to do the “I am not a meth lab” database registry.

We have plenty of food. At this point, it’s replacing what we consume.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

halfnine wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:24 am If you run out of food you won't need much in the way of toilet paper. I am surpised that people seem to be stocking more toilet paper than food.
In the Soviet Union, sausages contained 42% toilet paper.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

lthenderson wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:13 am
Sandtrap wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:42 pm Toilet Paper
I may have to load up a gun or two if word gets out I have a bidet in these times of toilet paper shortages.
I told DW this morning that if she tells anyone how much toilet paper we have, that we would have to get the shotguns out of the attic to protect our stockpile. She said her 92 y/o mother who is a hard-core hoarder and very frugal with TP has 12 rolls which should last her for months and months. I had the presence of mind not to tell her that might be a lifetime supply.
Watty

Post by Watty »

In my subdivision several houses have been listed for sale within the last few days.

Having houses come on the market in the springtime is normal here but my impression is that they are coming on the market quicker and sooner than normal so I suspect that people that were going to sell anyway have rushed to get them on the market.

We frequently get letters in the mail from people that want to buy our house for cash, likely at a lowball price, and occasionally we would even get more than one letter like that on the same day. I don't recall getting any of those letters for at least two weeks now so maybe that market is also cooling off.
Last edited by Watty on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

Watty wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:40 am In my subdivision several houses have been listed for sale within the last few days.

Having houses come on the market in the springtime is normal here but my impression is that they are coming on the market quicker and sooner than normal so I suspect that people that were going to sell anyway have rushed to get them on the market.

We frequently get letters in the mail from people that want to buy our house for cash, likely at a lotball price, and occasionally we would even get more than one letter like that on the same day. I don't recall getting any of those letters for at least two weeks now so maybe that market is also cooling off.
Earlier in the year I had posted about buying a new house and selling the current one.
I don't think I will be doing that unless something changes drastically.
The selling part is what worries me.
Eeveetheragdoll

Post by Eeveetheragdoll »

Here in North Carolina the Costco is so packed all day today that finally had to call in the police to manage crowds!
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Corsair wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:26 pm Went to get groceries in the hotbed of King County, WA and I was the only one wearing a surgical mask (got them in Jan when I saw China doing its thing). People either don't care or don't know.

Church service has been moved to online only. Stocked up in Jan and Feb :beer Did buy more pet food recently.
Unless you are sick, a mask doesn’t really help you.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

I went to a jammed Costco to get paper towels, and they had a ready supply. What bewildered me is that it seemed as though every single cart had 3 to 4 cases of bottled water. What are they thinking, that the water supply is in danger of being compromised or will be shut down?
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

VictoriaF wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:33 am
halfnine wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:24 am If you run out of food you won't need much in the way of toilet paper. I am surpised that people seem to be stocking more toilet paper than food.
In the Soviet Union, sausages contained 42% toilet paper.

Victoria
Now this is funny!
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Kenkat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:40 pm
Corsair wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:26 pm Went to get groceries in the hotbed of King County, WA and I was the only one wearing a surgical mask (got them in Jan when I saw China doing its thing). People either don't care or don't know.

Not true, they're saying it can stay in the air for up to three hours. On surfaces for days. Prevents me from touching my face at minimum.
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Corsair wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:44 pm

Not true, they're saying it can stay in the air for up to three hours. On surfaces for days. Prevents me from touching my face at minimum.
Yes, but the mask doesn’t protect you from that unless it is the N95 variety, properly sized and fitted and you also protect your eyes and follow strict protocols for removal when clear.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Kenkat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:47 pm

Yes, but the mask doesn’t protect you from that unless it is the N95 variety, properly sized and fitted and you also protect your eyes and follow strict protocols for removal when clear.
There are way too many respirator experts coming out of the woodwork. Almost all (if not all) disposable N95s are one size fits all, so what does "properly sized and fitted" mean? Sure you need to wear the mask properly, and some rare individuals with very small facial features can't wear the N95.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:51 pm
Kenkat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:47 pm

There are way too many respirator experts coming out of the woodwork. Almost all (if not all) disposable N95s are one size fits all, so what does "properly sized and fitted" mean? Sure you need to wear the mask properly, and some rare individuals with very small facial features can't wear the N95.
If you think it will offer protection, go for it.