Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SimonJester

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by SimonJester » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:19 am

Wow a silver lining to all this, Costco has shutdown their grazing stations because of COV-19. I didn't realize until it was pointed out in another forum.

Heavens rejoice! I can finally shop through their madhouse of a store without pushing past a long line of grazers fighting each other for their free one inch square of cheese!
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:23 am

Mr. Rumples wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:39 am
Meanwhile, there is contradictory information coming from local health authorities. On the one hand, they are saying not to worry, on the other, the Medical College of VA, is saying they need to open satellite testing stations outside of physician's offices so hospitals and doctors are not overwhelmed.
That's not really contradictory. It's spreading, and that merits expanding testing, but it's not spreading like wildfire.

After at least a month and a half in the country, the hardest hit state current has 1 in 100,000 people infected, and people are paying attention and taking precautions to help control the rate of spread.
SimonJester wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:30 am
The local Costco was a mad house yesterday, completely out of paper towels, toilet paper, all cleaning supplies. Talking to a few employees they said they are getting semi trailers full of nothing but toilet paper every morning and they are sold out in 1 hour.
Very soon...maybe another week or two...stores are going to be overstocked with toilet paper once everyone's closets are full and the demand falls off a cliff. Cleaning supplies might continue to be hard to find, though, since those are actually being used at an accelerated rate.

At work they asked us to wipe our desks, etc with disinfectant wipes at the end of each day, but there aren't enough to go around.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:28 am

We don't even know how many people have been tested for the virus. All accounts report the number tested so far has been pitifully small with high rate of positives.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatl ... le/607597/

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:30 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:23 am
After at least a month and a half in the country, the hardest hit state current has 1 in 100,000 people infected, and people are paying attention and taking precautions to help control the rate of spread.
Of course we don't actually know the number of people infected until we start widespread testing.

We don't even know how many people on board a 3,500 person cruise ship are infected. We only know that of the 46 that have been tested, 21 were found to be infected.

Hopefully many people are paying attention and taking precautions and that will help control the rate of spread. I remain skeptical that many people have any idea what would actually work.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:12 pm

Hopefully some people finally get over the attitude of "I can outwork anyone else, I don't care how sick I am, I go to work and put in a 26hr day."
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain

ballons

Post by ballons » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:21 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:37 am
sawhorse wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:28 am
However, some people in my condition do care about living, and with viruses, they rely on others to be careful around them. Please don't take such a blase attitude and be like the patient in New Hampshire who was told to isolate and attended a crowded event anyway.
The word “manslaughter” comes to mind.

My wife, through no fault of her own, takes medication that suppresses her immune function.

I, arguably through a fault of my own, have metabolic syndrome and well-regulated T2 diabetes (I call myself a “diabetic in remission.”)

I would regard anyone who knowingly does not quarantine and puts themselves in our presence as guilty of at least attempted manslaughter if not attempted murder.
30M are uninsured.
40% of Americans don't have $400 emergency funds.

Sorry, these millions of people aren't going to prison just because they kept working to avoid being homeless.

ballons

Post by ballons » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:28 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:38 pm
In the same vein as my previous post, how long are people expecting to go without food as a result of this outbreak?

Is it really the expectation that authorities are going to cut off our access to food so that the 90% or more of people who don't have more than a couple days worth of food on hand starve to death in order to save us from a high end estimate of ~2% risk of death from illness?
Considering how obese Americans are, there is little chance of death from starvation.

RetiredArtist

Post by RetiredArtist » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:45 pm

softwaregeek wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:48 pm
I live in SF Bay Area and there are well over a dozen confirmed cases in my county. In addition to that, there are many suspected cases which, due to the test shortage, have not been confirmed and have not made the national news. The rumor mill is EXTREMELY active here, but much is fact, not rumor.

I am of the opinion that we are going to see a huge explosion in cases once we begin testing.

For example, an older gentleman who had been on the SF Bay Cruise in the last voyage, dropped dead of respiratory issues and the cop who gave him CPR is now quarantined. This is fact and the local PD issued a statement on twitter. It did not make national news.

But ultimately, I am increasingly convinced there is nothing I can do. I have kids, and they catch everything at school. Unless I take my kids out of school, I'm pretty much gonna get everything.
Yup, your kids are sure to share viruses. My grandson has been most generous. If you have local "elder" grandparents, do you stay away?

RetiredArtist

Post by RetiredArtist » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:46 pm

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:32 pm

SimonJester wrote:

I think the media is fueling all of this, they report on people running out to store to get a certain item, and it stirs the massed to all run out to get that same item before its gone.
I don't know how anybody can even suggest this isn't the case. A co-worker told me she bought 50 - 5.0 - cases of water the other day. When asked why, she said because she didn't know when the next time she'd be able to get them. I'm not even sure she and her husband normally drink bottled water, because she carries around a hydroflask at work.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:43 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:32 pm
SimonJester wrote:

I think the media is fueling all of this, they report on people running out to store to get a certain item, and it stirs the massed to all run out to get that same item before its gone.
I don't know how anybody can even suggest this isn't the case. A co-worker told me she bought 50 - 5.0 - cases of water the other day. When asked why, she said because she didn't know when the next time she'd be able to get them. I'm not even sure she and her husband normally drink bottled water, because she carries around a hydroflask at work.
Fear is a very palpable thing. In early September 2002 we bought 72 gallons of water (12 cases of 6 gallons). There were very real fears that something could happen and we live in a city that is known for, shall we say, sin (Las Vegas).

If memory serves correct, water treatment plants have app. 7 days of chemicals on hand. Disruptions could be problematic. Maybe that was the thesis behind your coworkers water purchase.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:43 pm

I have been to Walmart, Costco and Target last week (and a grocery store).....there were no lines for bottled water and other supplies....just the same average crowds I always see. Both Walmart and Target had bins in the aisles with hand sanitizer that were full of product and nobody was even looking at them as they walked by.

I did notice Costco had a table with hand sanitizer and wipes as you walk in, but if you look Target and grocery stores have those cart wipes out all year. I live in the Sacramento area.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:47 pm

stoptothink wrote:
SimonJester wrote:

The CDC does recommend having supplies on hand to minimize the need to go to the store if you're sick, at least for higher risk populations. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... tions.html

Some people go overboard, of course.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:31 pm

stoptothink wrote:
SimonJester wrote:

media + election year...says it all

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:57 pm

It’s interesting to make observation of people’s behavior during this time.

Gym is noticably less crowded. (thankfully)
People stockpile on food. I saw highly processed food fly off the shelf. hopefully it won’t change their diet behavior.
Less people being out and about in public park although we have a nice weather today.

I just hope that people don’t forget to put their work in to stay healthy while being scared of the Coronavirus.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:01 pm

One of my aides has a disabled daughter and she is very concerned. She has been trying to find stuff for disinfecting her daughter's medical stuff, so I have been looking for stuff for her. Daughter is on a feeding tube.

I snagged a case of Lysol IC a couple of days ago, and I'm going to slip her a can or two every now and then. I don't need it, but I also don't want her to be stressed. I also snagged about a gallon of hand sanitizer I use to refill the dispenser in my bathroom, and she can take some of that as well. Every Christmas DW gives the aides some hand sanitizer along with other stuff, and we still have several 8oz bottles in the pantry.

If I gave her the whole case of Lysol I have every reason to believe she would be giving a lot away, possibly to her daughter's detriment, as that is the way she rolls. She is a great caregiver, and I prefer she uses it for her daughter's needs.

I also found some heavily concentrated commercial disinfectent/sanitizer so I bought some of that for her as well.

Earlier (before the Covid19 was even known) I had bought a case of gloves, so I can give her some if she needs them. Though, I can't imagine Bayada running out of gloves for their workers. I don't typically need gloves, but I always have them handy if my aides might need them. I was down to the last box of 100 pair from a case that has lasted for a few years.

I figure anything I do to help my aides during this time also helps me and DW as well.

It is much easier for me to afford things like that than my aides.

My efforts may be misplaced, but there is also the mental portion of the equation. If my aides are less steessed, I am perfectly fine to have done these activities on their behalf. I won't begrudge a single penny spent. You should always take care of those who take care of you.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:40 pm
I am researching places that might have discounted airfares and hotels from all the coronavirus paranoia so that I can fly there at cheaper prices.
Wife and I are enjoying events without long lines and cheaper travel expense!!
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:21 pm

theplayer11 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:31 pm
stoptothink wrote:
SimonJester wrote:

media + election year...says it all
No. People's natural inclination for fearing dying says it all.

People know that the deaths in Washington state were mainly of the elderly with underlying issues.
Wouldn't rational people factor that in?
But people are not rational.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:26 pm

ballons wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:21 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:37 am
sawhorse wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:28 am
However, some people in my condition do care about living, and with viruses, they rely on others to be careful around them. Please don't take such a blase attitude and be like the patient in New Hampshire who was told to isolate and attended a crowded event anyway.
The word “manslaughter” comes to mind.

My wife, through no fault of her own, takes medication that suppresses her immune function.

I, arguably through a fault of my own, have metabolic syndrome and well-regulated T2 diabetes (I call myself a “diabetic in remission.”)

I would regard anyone who knowingly does not quarantine and puts themselves in our presence as guilty of at least attempted manslaughter if not attempted murder.
30M are uninsured.
40% of Americans don't have $400 emergency funds.

Sorry, these millions of people aren't going to prison just because they kept working to avoid being homeless.
Agree - 30 million with no health insurance and we already have apprx 600K+ homeless people sleeping in the streets every night. I wonder how the 600k homeless are going to deal with covid-19.

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:23 pm

I'll just leave this here.... :shock:

Women charged over toilet paper scuffle

Police in New South Wales have charged two women over an altercation at a supermarket at Chullora in Sydney yesterday. The women allegedly fought over some of the supermarket’s dwindling supplies of toilet paper.
Toilet paper has been selling out across Australia in a wave of panic buying over coronavirus. Stocks of dried pasta, hand soap, and over-the-counter painkillers are also rapidly selling out.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... re-than-70

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:36 pm

Socrates wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:43 pm
I have been to Walmart, Costco and Target last week (and a grocery store).....there were no lines for bottled water and other supplies....just the same average crowds I always see. Both Walmart and Target had bins in the aisles with hand sanitizer that were full of product and nobody was even looking at them as they walked by.

I did notice Costco had a table with hand sanitizer and wipes as you walk in, but if you look Target and grocery stores have those cart wipes out all year. I live in the Sacramento area.
I did our bi-weekly shopping today; 3 stores, absolutely no toilet paper, bottled water, or rice at any of them. My primary grocery store was out or nearly out of random things that I don't recall them every being short of. I don't know about the state, but I do know there are no confirmed cases in the county.

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:03 pm

Went in the attic and pulled out the hand crank mechanical grain mill and tested it, backup plan is now in place in case we lose power. Made sure no weevils in the hard wheat bins as well, checked both red and white varieties.

winterfan

Post by winterfan » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:13 pm

I went to Costco today. I was looking for the shelf stable milk, but they were out. I had to go with the dry powdered milk at the grocery store. I didn't check the toilet paper supply since we have plenty at home.

GeoffD

Post by GeoffD » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:01 pm

Nyc10036 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:21 pm

People know that the deaths in Washington state were mainly of the elderly with underlying issues.
Have you ever had pneumonia? It's totally rational to try to avoid getting it even if you're in the low risk group. From getting sick all the time from all the road warrior business travel, I already long ago adopted the wash your hands frequently, use hand sanitizer any time you see a dispenser, and take a shower & change clothes after a flight. Assuming this gets to pandemic in my zip codes, I'll just add a bit to what I already do. The Italy 1 meter separation thing that was announced today seems like a rational thing to add in.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:27 pm

Nyc10036 wrote:

Not everyone who gets this is old, not everyone who dies from it is old (two of the doctors who died in China were 29 and 34), and getting pneumonia is pretty awful no matter what age you are.

It’s completely rational to try to avoid getting sick. Especially when the illness can lead to viral pneumonia and weeks in the hospital.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:41 pm

I made sure that I have plenty of whiskey on hand. If anyone asks, it's sanitizer. Or cough medicine.

IMO

Post by IMO » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:37 am

Posted this on the thread Should I be concerned about traveling concerning the virus, and thought I'd re-post for those wanting to see some data:

There is a very good data source on cases of the virus: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

From this site, it shows what is becoming obvious, from the age of 60 years old and older, the death rate is very concerning. For those under 50 years old, the death rate is pretty minimal.

DEATH RATE
80+ years old 14.8%
70-79 years old 8.0%
60-69 years old 3.6%
50-59 years old 1.3%
40-49 years old 0.4%
30-39 years old 0.2%
20-29 years old 0.2%
10-19 years old 0.2%
0-9 years old no fatalities

----
42,413 Currently Infected Patients (known)
- 36,378 (86%) in Mild Condition
- 6,035 (14%)Serious or Critical

63,790 Cases which had an outcome:
60,190 (94%) Recovered / Discharged
3,600 (6%) Deaths

----------------------------------

So I can see why those, especially under age 50 aren't all that concerned. In fact, I also posted a response on the travel concern thread which bears out my thought that even those with ACTIVE coughing on an airplane do not see themselves as potential vectors who should put a mask on to limit their cough droplets from spreading constantly around them throughout a crowded flight. If the opposite were true and 20-40 years olds had a 14.8% risk of death from getting a virus as easily as one catches the common cold, I'm sure there would be a bunch of people who don't think it's a concern to having a real concern.

I have elderly parents (over age 80) with health conditions. I do not see it as being paranoid to be concerned that there is a 14.8% death rate for them if they catch this virus. On a recent visit, I went out and stocked them up on food and cleaning supplies to limit their need to make trips to public spaces (of course there was no TP and I got the last thing of paper towels).

Even if you are in the majority of 0.2% risk, have some empathetic concern that the elderly carry a much high risk from this disease than yourself. They do not have the ability to get vaccinated to lower their risk, and the elderly often already have to go to places such as doctor's offices/hospitals because many have health conditions requiring care.

Some of us are concerned about getting the disease and inadvertently exposing the elderly.

Someone posted about how they have told their elderly neighbors they were willing to help them out with errands/supplies. That post gives me some faith in humanity.

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:52 am

IMO wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:37 am
Posted this on the thread Should I be concerned about traveling concerning the virus, and thought I'd re-post for those wanting to see some data:
I might as well posts my reply:

How much of this is purely age and how much is co-morbidity, which tends to correlate with age, is unclear. The death rate if infected was 0.9% for those with no pre-existing condition, but 5.6% to 10.5% with at least one of the top five diseases.

Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on pre-existing condition. The percentage shown does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by pre-existing condition. Rather, it represents, for a patient with a given pre-existing condition, the risk of dying if infected by COVID-19.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:32 am

Sign at Walmart produce "Please do not sample the grapes." Some folks were ignoring it.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:03 am

IMO wrote:
From this site, it shows what is becoming obvious, from the age of 60 years old and older, the death rate is very concerning. For those under 50 years old, the death rate is pretty minimal.

DEATH RATE
80+ years old 14.8%
70-79 years old 8.0%
60-69 years old 3.6%
50-59 years old 1.3%
40-49 years old 0.4%
30-39 years old 0.2%
20-29 years old 0.2%
10-19 years old 0.2%

-
Something to keep in mind is that those death rates are likely calculated with good medical care.

In a pandemic the hospital may be overflowing, most of the medical staff could be sick, and medicines may be in short supply which could make the death rates much higher.

I remember reading how when the native Americans were exposed to European diseases the death rate was terrible because they had never been exposed to them. Part of the problem was that everyone in a village would be sick at the same time. If there had just been a few people that were healthy enough to give the sick people food and water the death rate would have been much lower.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:19 am

Watty wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:03 am
IMO wrote:

DEATH RATE
80+ years old 14.8%
70-79 years old 8.0%
60-69 years old 3.6%
50-59 years old 1.3%
40-49 years old 0.4%
30-39 years old 0.2%
20-29 years old 0.2%
10-19 years old 0.2%

-
Something to keep in mind is that those death rates are likely calculated with good medical care.

In a pandemic the hospital may be overflowing, most of the medical staff could be sick, and medicines may be in short supply which could make the death rates much higher.

I remember reading how when the native Americans were exposed to European diseases the death rate was terrible because they had never been exposed to them. Part of the problem was that everyone in a village would be sick at the same time. If there had just been a few people that were healthy enough to give the sick people food and water the death rate would have been much lower.
Although for the younger crowd, the 0.2% rate is about 20 times higher than the regular flu. Across the board, risk is higher.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:01 am

winterfan wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:13 pm
I went to Costco today. I was looking for the shelf stable milk, but they were out. I had to go with the dry powdered milk at the grocery store. I didn't check the toilet paper supply since we have plenty at home.
sales of oat milk are exceeding sales of toilet paper (in some areas), cant find the article quoting the stat.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:50 am

SocalLiving wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:16 am
We are always prepared for a big disruptive earthquake, so didn't really have to do anything for Coronavirus. A quarantine at home with running water, electricity, and internet seems manageable compared to an earthquake that takes out all those things and more.

A lot of our neighbors are much older than us and have medical conditions. So I did leave a note in all their mailboxes with my cell number and email telling them I would be more than happy to run errands for them if they did not feel comfortable going to crowded places for a few weeks. And offered them supplies if they need it. I don't want our older more vulnerable neighbors running around trying to find toilet paper!
We need more people like you!

brandy

Post by brandy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:54 am

Agree, but also hope they got your notes: I think It's a federal offence to put anything in a mailbox.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:19 am

brandy wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:54 am
Agree, but also hope they got your notes: I think It's a federal offence to put anything in a mailbox.
Than many lawn services, driveway repairs, fast food places near me is breaking this federal law weekly :D

SocalLiving

Post by SocalLiving » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:31 am

brandy wrote:
Learn something new every day. Thanks for letting me know! In our neighborhood the mail often gets misdelivered because of similar street names. We all have an agreement to just put the mail in the correct mailbox. Had no idea we were all breaking the law!

Usually I'd just ring the doorbell and chat, but I don't want to expose anyone right now. Will be sure to tape all future notes on their door. Hopefully that is ok.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:36 am

winterfan wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:13 pm
My wife is lactose intolerant. We found out by accident that Lactose free milk lasts several weeks longer than regular milk. Our strategy is to keep about six weeks worth of lactose free milk in the fridge, and rotate it as we use it.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:38 am

My assumption is that I will be infected at some point, unless the disease dies off or unless vaccinations become widely available for less than $716.21 per dose (above that I would just take the risk).

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:50 am

Picking up some extra brandy, lemon juice and honey in case I need to make emergency hot toddies.

More seriously, I've already got all I need to go into quarantine for a few weeks if necessary.

brandy

Post by brandy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:52 am

SocalLiving wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:31 am
brandy wrote:
Learn something new every day. Thanks for letting me know! In our neighborhood the mail often gets misdelivered because of similar street names. We all have an agreement to just put the mail in the correct mailbox. Had no idea we were all breaking the law! Usually I'd just ring the doorbell and chat, but I don't want to expose anyone right now. Will be sure to tape all future notes on their door. Hopefully that is ok.
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-illegal-to- ... s-mail-box
Yes, it is illegal to place a note in someone’s mailbox.
A mailbox is for the sole purpose of delivery and retrieval of the US mail. It is for items bearing postage and delivered by USPS employees. It is illegal for anyone else to place anything in or on the box.

business' here use knob hangers or other attachments, not the mailboxes.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:06 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:38 am
My assumption is that I will be infected at some point, unless the disease dies off or unless vaccinations become widely available for less than $716.21 per dose (above that I would just take the risk).
OK, I’ll bite: Why $716.21?

framus

Post by framus » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:23 pm

2tall4economy wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:13 pm
Caduceus wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:40 pm
I am researching places that might have discounted airfares and hotels from all the coronavirus paranoia so that I can fly there at cheaper prices.
Wife and I are enjoying events without long lines and cheaper travel expense!!
Should be able to get a great deal on an extended ocean cruise! :D

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:01 pm

AerialWombat wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:06 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:38 am
OK, I’ll bite: Why $716.21?
The expected value of the bet becomes negative. :wink:

mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:18 pm

NPR covered the potential and timeline for a vaccine. I didn't realize there is a demand for 900,000 chicken eggs. Fascinating:

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/06/81294390 ... he-vaccine

rich126

Post by rich126 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:32 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:23 am
Mr. Rumples wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:39 am
Meanwhile, there is contradictory information coming from local health authorities. On the one hand, they are saying not to worry, on the other, the Medical College of VA, is saying they need to open satellite testing stations outside of physician's offices so hospitals and doctors are not overwhelmed.
That's not really contradictory. It's spreading, and that merits expanding testing, but it's not spreading like wildfire.

SimonJester wrote:
The local Costco was a mad house yesterday, completely out of paper towels, toilet paper, all cleaning supplies. Talking to a few employees they said they are getting semi trailers full of nothing but toilet paper every morning and they are sold out in 1 hour.
Very soon...maybe another week or two...stores are going to be overstocked with toilet paper once everyone's closets are full and the demand falls off a cliff. Cleaning supplies might continue to be hard to find, though, since those are actually being used at an accelerated rate.

At work they asked us to wipe our desks, etc with disinfectant wipes at the end of each day, but there aren't enough to go around.
Typical company, comes up with a policy that isn’t realistic.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:32 pm

It's not as much a policy as a request, at this point, although there are plenty of other examples of unrealistic policies (sure, I can track my time by project to the nearest 0.1 hours, when I'm switching back and forth between multiple projects every day).

I mentioned it here mainly to reinforce cleaning supplies are actually in high demand due to high use right now, in contrast with toilet paper, which is in high demand due to stockpiling, and will soon be oversupplied.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:55 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:27 pm
Nyc10036 wrote:

Not everyone who gets this is old, not everyone who dies from it is old (two of the doctors who died in China were 29 and 34), and getting pneumonia is pretty awful no matter what age you are.

It’s completely rational to try to avoid getting sick. Especially when the illness can lead to viral pneumonia and weeks in the hospital.
quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:27 pm
Nyc10036 wrote:

My post was in response to theplayer11 who wrote "media + election year...says it all".
If you are going to quote mine, then you need to quote his.
I am guessing he is claiming that it's the media's fault and the politicians' faults that people are acting the way they are with the hoarding of toilet paper, etc.

I am not quite sure that people can be rational about coronavirus, but it certainly is not "media + election year...says it all".

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:11 pm

The point regarding 'media and election year' has been made, let's move on.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:27 pm

Living in the Northeast we sort of expect weather related disruptions, we keep a small stock of essentials on hand including toilet paper. What we didn’t expect were all the bandages to be wiped clean from the shelves of all the pharmacies, nor the lack of bleach “anywhere”.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:31 pm

The leading U.S. expert on infectious diseases, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, said on Sunday that it was possible that regional lockdowns could become necessary and recommended that those at greatest risk — the elderly and those with underlying health conditions — abstain from travel.
Dr. Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said the Trump administration was prepared to “take whatever action is appropriate” to contain the outbreak, including travel restrictions in areas with a high number of cases.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/worl ... e=Homepage

Those who have been on the fence about preparation might want to consider Dr. Fauci's comment about potential travel restrictions and consider what the supermarkets look like today in Milan.

See picture of supermarket shelves in this article --- https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/coro ... tockpiled/
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.