Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Random Musings

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by Random Musings » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:37 pm

mrspock wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:00 pm
Finridge wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:23 pm
Our local Costco is swamped today with people stocking up on supplies. They are sold out of various items (like bottled water, toilet paper, lysol wipes) already.
Are you sure that isn't just a normal day at Costco? That place is just a zoo every time I've been there, you'd think they announced they stopped making paper towels, unfashionable clothing and baked goods.
Our Costco ran out of water and TP on Friday. A employee who has worked there since it opened, 20 years ago, said that has never happened. And our store doesn't get the crowds like in other parts of the country. This morning, I went for my usual Sat a.m. run there to beat the crowds. Very busy, I saw one cart that DIDN'T have water or TP in it. People are starting to hoard and buy more basics. Wipes were gone. Walmart was less busy, but items like Clorox were basically gone.

I saw a good number of Costco line videos today, IMHO, a combo of prepping and the last day of the most current coupon cycle.

Prayers for the one elderly care facility. Stay safe.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:38 pm

Finridge wrote:
Our local Costco is swamped today with people stocking up on supplies. They are sold out of various items (like bottled water, toilet paper, lysol wipes) already.
What state are you in (or area of country if you don’t want to post state)? I have not seen this locally here in Ohio.

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:40 pm

MJS wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:13 pm
Tdubs wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:53 pm
OK, done shopping. Aldi's was packed. I think we can go a couple months without going to a store much. Prescriptions also good for a few months.
Will the massive stock-up slow down shopping over the next few months? Did Y2K prep have a notable effect on retail sales in early 2000? Or does pre-hurricane shopping effect non-post-hurricane sales?
Has to, doesn't it? I don't need toilet paper, frozen vegetables, beef, chicken or fish for two months.

softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:44 pm

Finridge wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:51 pm
MnD wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:31 pm
Finridge wrote:
I figured as such. And as soon as other people observe this or read or watch it in the news they will join the panicky "must do something" crowd.
Even if you don't think it is warranted you are still affected by it. It's like a "run" on the bank in the old days before FDIC. You may not agree with it or think it rational, but you definitely don't want to be the last one in line...
I saw this too today. Costco sold out of all toilet paper except house brand. Many cleaning supplies gone. And low supplies of odd things like chicken and hamburger. There was still canned food but people were taking it like no tomorrow. And if you get there tomorrow you may be disappointed. Also people were buying a shocking amount of beer. As in Corona beer. I guess bad advertising is still advertising.

This is in santa Clara county near where there is community spread.

Staff told me that there is definitely panic buying but I only saw a few obvious panic buyers.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:50 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:38 pm
Finridge wrote:
What state are you in (or area of country if you don’t want to post state)? I have not seen this locally here in Ohio.
Although you are not addressing me, I'm in Western PA. We don't have lines out the door like some sites mostly out west, but a lot more basics are being purchased. Never observed this before.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:24 pm

Trader Joe's near me was completely cleaned out of dry pasta. That never happens.

downshiftme

Post by downshiftme » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:26 pm

Saw a guy in my local grocery store tonight with an entire cart filled to the top with packages of pasta. I think the panic buying has started here.

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:32 pm

softwaregeek wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:44 pm
Finridge wrote:
MnD wrote:
Finridge wrote:
I figured as such. And as soon as other people observe this or read or watch it in the news they will join the panicky "must do something" crowd.
Even if you don't think it is warranted you are still affected by it. It's like a "run" on the bank in the old days before FDIC. You may not agree with it or think it rational, but you definitely don't want to be the last one in line...
I saw this too today. Costco sold out of all toilet paper except house brand. Many cleaning supplies gone. And low supplies of odd things like chicken and hamburger. There was still canned food but people were taking it like no tomorrow. And if you get there tomorrow you may be disappointed. Also people were buying a shocking amount of beer. As in Corona beer. I guess bad advertising is still advertising.

Staff told me that there is definitely panic buying but I only saw a few obvious panic buyers.
Toilet paper? I could see water obviously but TP as a must have item, seriously?

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:53 pm

Word of advice to all you preppers: Only buy stuff that you'd use anyway.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:55 pm

Irisheyes wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:32 pm
softwaregeek wrote:
Finridge wrote:
MnD wrote:
Finridge wrote:

Toilet paper? I could see water obviously but TP as a must have item, seriously?
Stuck at home for two weeks with only the Kirkland brand sandpaper they try to pass off as TP??? If there was ever reason to panic, this is it.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:55 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:55 pm
Irisheyes wrote:
softwaregeek wrote:
Finridge wrote:
MnD wrote:

Stuck at home for two weeks with only the Kirkland brand sandpaper they try to pass off as TP??? If there was ever reason to panic, this is it.
:) :)

softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:22 pm

Well, I have 60 rolls now. So it's going to be more than two weeks.

softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:24 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:53 pm
Water was also selling out. Not much left.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:29 pm

Our Costco today was out of toilet paper, bottled water, canned chicken and all pasta except for "lentil pasta."

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:03 am

softwaregeek wrote:
Finridge wrote:
MnD wrote:
Finridge wrote:

I was in Costco today (same area as softwaregeek). It was crazy busy, but it's always that way on a Saturday here. There were people with big carts of water and such, but you also see that in normal times. It was clear that most of the people in the store were just doing normal shopping like we were, checking out with a dozen or so items. I'm sure if you were looking at the actual internal sales numbers you could see how much real variation there is from normal; there's probably at least some panic buying (or extra preparedness to be more charitable).

jsaver

Post by jsaver » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:25 am

softwaregeek wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:24 pm
sunny_socal wrote:
I do not understand. Are folks expecting municipal water to stop working?

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:38 am

sunny_socal wrote:
:thumbsup

Forward purchasing of what you would consume anyway is fine. Loading up on crap that you wouldn't use outside of an 'emergency' is a bad idea.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:39 am

jsaver wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:25 am
softwaregeek wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:
Many believe municipal water to be something that only the plebeians consume, even though it's the most common source of bottled water.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:40 am

Irisheyes wrote:
You must be a male.

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:21 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:40 am
Irisheyes wrote:
You must be a male.
Not last time I checked... :happy

Gallows humor I guess. "The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Therefore I will stock up on TP".

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:39 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:43 pm
We picked up some 99% isopropyl alcohol (i.e. rubbing alcohol) yesterday when we got groceries. Previously, I'd only seen 70% on store shelves and had to order 99% on Amazon. This will work just as well as hand sanitizer. We also picked up some extra bleach.
I strongly recommend against using bleach as a substitute for hand sanitizer. :mrgreen:

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:06 am

mrspock wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:00 pm
Finridge wrote:
Are you sure that isn't just a normal day at Costco? That place is just a zoo every time I've been there, you'd think they announced they stopped making paper towels, unfashionable clothing and baked goods.
I received my annual Costco rebate coupon for a couple of hundred dollars in the mail in the middle of last week. If your Costco is busier than usual then part of it may be people using their rebate coupons.

canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:24 am

Kennedy wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:29 pm
Our Costco today was out of toilet paper, bottled water, canned chicken and all pasta except for "lentil pasta."
For some things, death is preferable.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:38 am

Teague wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:45 pm
aqan wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:40 pm
Will be calling the medical stores tomorrow but I’m not holding my breath.
Victoria, got room in your act for a partner? :happy
With partners not holding their breath who needs adversaries?

Open mics are certain to become COVID-19 sanctuaries, because stand-up comics pride themselves on spreading their fluids.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:40 am

lazydavid wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:39 am
willthrill81 wrote:
We picked up some 99% isopropyl alcohol (i.e. rubbing alcohol) yesterday when we got groceries. Previously, I'd only seen 70% on store shelves and had to order 99% on Amazon. This will work just as well as hand sanitizer. We also picked up some extra bleach.
I strongly recommend against using bleach as a substitute for hand sanitizer. :mrgreen:
Yeah, I wouldn't use it for that, but it's great for sanitizing surfaces that it cannot damage.

GCD

Post by GCD » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:52 am

Irisheyes wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:21 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Irisheyes wrote:
You must be a male.

Gallows humor I guess. "The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Therefore I will stock up on TP".
Staying civilized is part of staying healthy. Have you ever lived with people who wiped their butt with their hands and then rinsed off with water and no soap? Or people who used a plastic water bottle to spray their butt off after using the bathroom, thus leaving a stall covered with fecally contaminated water droplets? I'd rather not revert to 3rd world standards. I hope all the public restrooms are well stocked with TP. But they'll probably get raided if things get bad. Not that you have to resort to those techniques, but some people will.

M.Lee

Post by M.Lee » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:02 am

jsaver wrote:
softwaregeek wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:
I don't understand this either. Anyone want to enlighten us?

In case it hasn't already been noted, there is another case of this in Illinois.

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:12 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:39 am
jsaver wrote:
softwaregeek wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:
Many believe municipal water to be something that only the plebeians consume, even though it's the most common source of bottled water.
Never understood bottled water.

Sunday am was a great time to shop at Walmart. Employees were prepared for war, everything they had was up on the shelves. Sanitary wipes, bleach-based products, and powered milk were gone, but most everything else, they had.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:13 am

It's extremely frustrating surgical masks are still out sold, weeks now. Now hand sanitizer... [What --admin LadyGeek] has the US government been doing for the last 2 months. :annoyed

Costco has been cleared of cleaning supplies, etc.
Stocks only go up? Don't fight the Fed. | All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:47 am

absolutely nothing...media is trying to create a panic, it's a flu.

koryg75

Post by koryg75 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:51 am

Corsair wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:13 am
It's extremely frustrating surgical masks are still out sold, weeks now. Now hand sanitizer... [What --admin LadyGeek] has the US government been doing for the last 2 months. :annoyed

Costco has been cleared of cleaning supplies, etc.
The US government controls the world hand sanitizer supply?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:13 pm

softwaregeek wrote:
Also people were buying a shocking amount of beer. As in Corona beer. I guess bad advertising is still advertising.
Interesting. I was reading an article yesterday that said because of the name similarity, the Corona brand had already suffered a revenue loss of $170M. Parent ABInBev is predicting a 10% drop in overall quarterly revenue due to the virus, about a third of which is attributable to reduced demand for the Corona brand, and the other two thirds due to drastically reduced sales volume of all their brands in China--presumably as a result of the quarantine.

I wonder if your observation suggests that the Costco customer base is somewhat less stupid than the general populace, but still easily influenced?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:21 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:40 am
lazydavid wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:39 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't use it for that, but it's great for sanitizing surfaces that it cannot damage.
Agreed, was just making a joke. Definitely good for that use.

Though another option for surfaces you intend to prepare food or eat off of, I'm quite partial to StarSan. Pretty inexpensive since a small amount of concentrate makes a huge amount of sanitizer, it kills microbes off of any clean surface (cleaning and sanitizing are two completely separate processes) in under a minute, and the prepared solution is food safe. Very heavily used in the brewing industry for these reasons.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:28 pm

Tdubs wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:12 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:39 am
jsaver wrote:
softwaregeek wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:
Never understood bottled water.

Sunday am was a great time to shop at Walmart. Employees were prepared for war, everything they had was up on the shelves. Sanitary wipes, bleach-based products, and powered milk were gone, but most everything else, they had.
Same at our Walmart this morning according to DW. She noticed no shortages of anything except omeprazole. She stocked us up on toilet paper, soap, shampoo, ibuprofen, bottled water, Kleenex, laundry pods, etc.

As to the folks asking about bottled water: I don't completely get it either, but DW will not drink tap water if she can avoid it at all. At this point she is still able to avoid doing so. OK with me as I have a slight preference for bottled over tap at our home. Elsewhere I have a stronger preference for bottled but can usually still drink tap.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:34 pm

Its almost like all of this is a backdoor way to stimulate the economy (despite all time highs in markets recently).

If you are old enough to recall economic stimulus checks in 2001 (and in 2008?) we were told to spend it to stimulate the economy.....all this 'buying' has that same flavor to it. Just an observation anyway.

We won't mention the Y2K Scare here.... :happy

80,000 died of flu a year or two back....I don't recall runs on toilet paper then. Maybe 'runs on toilet paper' isn't the best phrase to use here. :wink:

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:40 pm

We're doing very little, other than a few minor things:
- More and better hand washing
- A bit more food, prescription and supply reserves (4 weeks vs. our normal 2)
- boosting sleep and exercise slightly (it's a priority anyway, but more can't hurt)
- less news consumption (I don't need this 24/7, but I do check a few sources daily to see new developments/recommendations)

Expert precautions vary, but I would be hard pressed to come up with more than a handful of productive reactions at the individual level anyway. Speaking only for myself, I have other things to worry about.

the way

Post by the way » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:44 pm

Kagord wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:41 pm
I watched last night's virus press conference, either:

1. Our president was not briefed on the UC Davis community spread case

2. Our president was briefed on the UC Davis community spread case

In either event, it wasn't brought up and there had to be people "in the know" in that room. They should have brought that up, instead of saying we are number 1 in preparedness. If we are number one, how come we can't even make test kits that work whereas other countries with significantly less wealth and resources can? And why did UC Davis have to ask multiple times for a test kit?

So yeah, I have absolutely no confidence now, and based on Italy, Iran, and Korea, prepping from level 1 to level 2 now. I'm hopeful I look silly in 3 months.

Edit: To the mods, I'm trying not to be political here, just stating things how I see them and my preparedness decision process
"How you see something" is completely based on your internal bias, the sources of info you use, and how much independent research and analysis you put into it.

btw, to answer your first question https://youtu.be/nx7lhj25__c?t=5702

and this is the CDC response to your second question https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... california

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:07 pm

the way wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:44 pm
Kagord wrote:

In either event, it wasn't brought up and there had to be people "in the know" in that room. They should have brought that up, instead of saying we are number 1 in preparedness. If we are number one, how come we can't even make test kits that work whereas other countries with significantly less wealth and resources can? And why did UC Davis have to ask multiple times for a test kit?

So yeah, I have absolutely no confidence now, and based on Italy, Iran, and Korea, prepping from level 1 to level 2 now. I'm hopeful I look silly in 3 months.

Edit: To the mods, I'm trying not to be political here, just stating things how I see them and my preparedness decision process
"How you see something" is completely based on your internal bias, the sources of info you use, and how much independent research and analysis you put into it.

and this is the CDC response to your second question https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... california
To keep this thread from becoming derailed, let's keep this discussion focused on preparation.

General comments can be made here: Bogleheads community discussion - Coronavirus (opinions of the press conferences are off-topic)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:28 pm

M.Lee wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:02 am
jsaver wrote:
softwaregeek wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:
I don't understand this either. Anyone want to enlighten us?

In case it hasn't already been noted, there is another case of this in Illinois.
Some of us use bottled water regularly. Therefore, we need to stock up, just like with other supplies, so we don't have to go outside, and mingle with the virus, to get more.
[Let's not make ThIS thread about whether one "should" get bottled water. That should have its own thread, or perhaps go with the $5k watch thread :wink: ]

And there is another case in Rhode Island, apparently.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:42 pm

TomCat96 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:56 pm
We have a number of threads on Coronavirus, but I want this one to specifically focus on consumer issues and how you are preparing.

The way I see it, risk of infection is not the same as risk of quarantine; or to put things even more broadly, risk of weathering the effects of quarantine. I do not need to be exposed to be quarantined, I don't even need to be around people who are exposed. All that need happen is that I be around people who are suspected of being exposed.

In the same vein, one does not need to be hit by a hurricane to weather shortages in supplies.

My prep so far:

1. Stocking up on disposable N95 masks. Easier said than done.
2. Stocking up on all non-perishable consumables. (Lotion, Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, etc)
3. Stocking up on long lasting consumables. Rice, Oatmeal, water, cereal, peanut butter, wine, dried meats, oil & spices, beans.

What if anything are you doing to prepare?

Edited:
Additional things I am doing.
-Moving up doctors appointments and lab tests. I tend to procrastinate on my checkups anyways.
-Picking up extra HEPA air filters.

I’m preparing exactly as i did for H1N1 in 2009 which originated in the USA and infected 60.8 million US citizens. I did absolutely nothing different and it worked well. Why should I change?
Performance = Potential - Distraction

Momus

Post by Momus » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:45 pm

Presintense wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:42 pm
TomCat96 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:56 pm
We have a number of threads on Coronavirus, but I want this one to specifically focus on consumer issues and how you are preparing.

The way I see it, risk of infection is not the same as risk of quarantine; or to put things even more broadly, risk of weathering the effects of quarantine. I do not need to be exposed to be quarantined, I don't even need to be around people who are exposed. All that need happen is that I be around people who are suspected of being exposed.

In the same vein, one does not need to be hit by a hurricane to weather shortages in supplies.

My prep so far:

1. Stocking up on disposable N95 masks. Easier said than done.
2. Stocking up on all non-perishable consumables. (Lotion, Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, etc)
3. Stocking up on long lasting consumables. Rice, Oatmeal, water, cereal, peanut butter, wine, dried meats, oil & spices, beans.

What if anything are you doing to prepare?

Edited:
Additional things I am doing.
-Moving up doctors appointments and lab tests. I tend to procrastinate on my checkups anyways.
-Picking up extra HEPA air filters.

I’m preparing exactly as i did for H1N1 in 2009 which originated in the USA and infected 60.8 million US citizens. I did absolutely nothing different and it worked well. Why should I change?
I don't do nothing extra. If I get it and assume room temperature I won't be posting no more. My chances are ~2% as a young folks.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:47 pm

likegarden wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:02 am
We plan to buy groceries once a week going to Walmart after midnight.
(shudder)
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:57 pm

SC Anteater wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:24 pm
Trader Joe's near me was completely cleaned out of dry pasta. That never happens.
I went to my local Hannaford and they had absolutely no broccoli rabe.

Coincidence? I think not!
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:03 pm

theplayer11 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:47 am
absolutely nothing...media is trying to create a panic, it's a flu.
A flu? :confused

What other things are a flu in your belief system?

Measles? Common cold? Shingles? Tennis elbow?

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:06 pm

F150HD wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:34 pm
Its almost like all of this is a backdoor way to stimulate the economy (despite all time highs in markets recently).
That's a rather odd conspiracy theory. How much toilet paper do you suppose would need to be purchased to make up for the losses to travel-related industries?

:oops:

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:10 pm

GCD wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:52 am
Irisheyes wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:21 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Irisheyes wrote:
You must be a male.

Staying civilized is part of staying healthy. Have you ever lived with people who wiped their butt with their hands and then rinsed off with water and no soap? Or people who used a plastic water bottle to spray their butt off after using the bathroom, thus leaving a stall covered with fecally contaminated water droplets? I'd rather not revert to 3rd world standards. I hope all the public restrooms are well stocked with TP. But they'll probably get raided if things get bad. Not that you have to resort to those techniques, but some people will.
:shock:
TP use does not equate with being more or less "civilized."

If a bird pooped on you, would you wipe it off or wash it off?

I rest my case.
Last edited by Irisheyes on Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

the way

Post by the way » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:11 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:07 pm
the way wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:44 pm
Kagord wrote:

To keep this thread from becoming derailed, let's keep this discussion focused on preparation.

General comments can be made here: Bogleheads community discussion - Coronavirus (opinions of the press conferences are off-topic)
Ok. But isn't saying "So yeah, I have absolutely no confidence now" after watching the press conference an opinion? Whereas I just replied with links from 2 very reputable sources to answer the questions they raised (to try to restore their confidence):

1. Why didn't they mention the first community spread case during the press conference? Answer: the news came out in real time during the press conference so no one in the room knew.

2, Why did the CDC reject/delay testing for 4 days? Answer: CDC says they were asked for the first time on the 23rd, not the 19th. This sounds more like the typical local/fed he-said/she-said type fight. In the best case, it might just be a miscommunication. Example:

Local: I'm calling to see if we should request a Covid-19 test on a patient.
CDC: Does the patient meet the current requirements for testing based on travel history or contact with others?
Local: No
CDC: Then, no.

I can see how the Local official will think they were told "no, you can't have a test", while the CDC would think they just answered the question "should we request a test"

Who really knows though, but I think undermining the credibility of the CDC is a problem and will create a panic and panic buying like people here are describing at Costco.

btw, anyone who ran out and bought masks who is not a health professional or taking care of someone or is sick, is putting lives at risk by creating a shortage for those that need them. US Surgeon General warning: https://twitter.com/Surgeon_General/sta ... 5283932160

the way

Post by the way » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:40 pm

Media reporting panic buying in CA, Seattle and Hawaii https://nypost.com/2020/03/01/coronavir ... nto-panic/

lol at the last line
“Local health officials told us not to panic buy and not to freak out … and that was enough to get us to go out and buy everything,” shopper Ryan Ozawa, 45, told the paper.
It probably really only takes 1% of the population to go out and buy extra stuff to clear store shelves.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:14 pm

Trader Joe’s was swamped this morning, and then we drove home behind a SUV that had Costco toilet paper stacked up to the roof.

We’re usually pretty well stocked, so we aren’t doing much to prepare except replacing the thermometer we couldn’t find the last time someone got sick, but we did get 4 jars of peanut butter while we were at TJ’s. So if things go to heck, we’ll be eating spoonfuls of peanut butter, I guess.

I did check to make sure we were stocked up on medicines, and other than the dog’s prescriptions (ordered), we didn’t need anything.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

CuriousReader

Post by CuriousReader » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:25 pm

I stocked up on toilet paper, paper towels and tissues. Will also make a trip to store to get some cat and people food. I'm really just buying my usual but since I don't normally keep much inventory, I'm buying a little sooner to make sure I don't run out. It looks like what they will be wanting us to do if it comes to our area is avoid going out as much as possible and definitely stay in if sick or have been around a sick person. I want to have that option.

COVID-19 seems to spread more quickly and have a (relatively)higher percentage of people who need hospitalization and possible ventilation/icu than flu. Especially with hospitals already treating the normal amount of flu patients, they could easily be overwhelmed. Thus anything we can do to slow the progression of the disease will allow our health systems to stay on top of it and maybe keep the mortality rate down closer to levels like the flu.
Lots of unknowns so we do what we can.