Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Kagord

Re: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?

Post by Kagord »

I watched last night's virus press conference, either:

1. Our president was not briefed on the UC Davis community spread case

2. Our president was briefed on the UC Davis community spread case

In either event, it wasn't brought up and there had to be people "in the know" in that room. They should have brought that up, instead of saying we are number 1 in preparedness. If we are number one, how come we can't even make test kits that work whereas other countries with significantly less wealth and resources can? And why did UC Davis have to ask multiple times for a test kit?

So yeah, I have absolutely no confidence now, and based on Italy, Iran, and Korea, prepping from level 1 to level 2 now. I'm hopeful I look silly in 3 months.

Edit: To the mods, I'm trying not to be political here, just stating things how I see them and my preparedness decision process
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

We already had plenty of food on hand, but when we went grocery shopping this morning, we got more than we normally would have of hygiene products, OTC meds, paper goods, and non-perishable food. We're now well prepared to be quarantined at home for at least a couple of months (and could eat far longer than that). We have a couple of gallons of milk frozen for our young daughter. Even if the virus suddenly disappeared, we would still consume everything we purchased, so the cost of this preparation was basically zero.

Tomorrow, we will cross into Idaho to get some less expensive gasoline, filling up all of our containers.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Oh yes, I almost forgot facial hair prep, I am using this CDC guideline to trim up on what works for masks. Ladies, no need, you can move on from this one.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/images/ ... maskLG.jpg
momvesting

Post by momvesting »

For those who want a few extra supplies on hand:

Target has a pretty decent $15 gift card back on $50 of household supplies with pickup (or $20 on $75, but seriously, do the math), so if you are a TP brand snob like me, it is a good time. 2 giant packs of my favorite TP plus a giant laundry soap for $50, get $15 back, I think I'll do this one twice. And these aren't specific "doomsday" items, just our normal stuff. I just like having more on hand in case something does happen. And like I said several pages back, price gouging is a real concern for me as well.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A general discussion thread for the coronavirus is now open for business.

Please discuss general issues and concerns not related to preparation activity here: Bogleheads community discussion - Coronavirus
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
aqan

Post by aqan »

GeoffD wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:49 am
aqan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:07 am
Teague wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:45 pm
aqan wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:40 pm Will be calling the medical stores tomorrow but I’m not holding my breath.
Victoria, got room in your act for a partner? :happy
Umm don’t know what that means.
Looking for N95 breathing mask, “not holding my breath”. A joke isn’t funny if you have to explain it, I guess.
Sorry but what does that has to do with Victoria’s act?
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Kagord wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:18 pm Oh yes, I almost forgot facial hair prep, I am using this CDC guideline to trim up on what works for masks. Ladies, no need, you can move on from this one.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/images/ ... maskLG.jpg
Brian Stack helpfully explains - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... prFG7mevoT
Teague

Post by Teague »

aqan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:48 pm
aqan wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:40 pm Will be calling the medical stores tomorrow but I’m not holding my breath.
Looking for N95 breathing mask, “not holding my breath”. A joke isn’t funny if you have to explain it, I guess.
1. If I recall correctly, member Victoria has been known to try her hand at stand-up comedy.
1a. Kudos to her!
2. Searching for respirators while stating one will not hold their breath can be interpreted as a play on words, a form of humor.
2a. Possibly the highbrow subtype, number 9 from this list of 20 types of humor: https://www.dailywritingtips.com/20-typ ... -of-humor/
3. Thus, a potential masterpiece of levity :happy could be the suggestion that two humoristic posters, Victoria and the jocular breather, join forces.
3a. The above sentence may combine types 9,10,11, and 12, but most likely none of them.
Semper Augustus
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

I just requested a 90 day supply of my sole prescription medication, just in case. Normally I only stay about a month ahead.
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

aqan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:48 pm
Googles are good, but Goggles are better,

Victoria
Victoria quipped this about a typo up-thread.

Never mind
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

Health care professional here and dad of 2 young, currently sick children. The focus at work is on hand hygiene and proper use of masks/respirators when indicated. At home, I employ the same hand washing and stressing the importance of high quality sleep and good nutrition (as good as possible with young kids). I have masks I personally purchased last month due to the flu hitting me hard, but beyond that it's life as usual. Luckily, most coronavirus cases are very mild, something like 85% of those who report (many stay home, do not get tested).

I'd also recommend an excellent YouTube series on the coronavirus and molecular biology from medcram. Very educational.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I read the official guidelines. I am also over 80, first to go. So I bought 100 face masks for $130 at Amazon. Walmart were out of them. We plan to use face masks only by the persons having a 'cold'. I have a little cold for the last 2 weeks.
I thought that some of the people flying into the US would carry the virus, but nothing. Though there must be some already here of the 90% who would not show any symptoms but disperse them. We plan to buy groceries once a week going to Walmart after midnight.
My brother and wife living in Europe have booked and paid for visiting Rome in April and a cruise in October. I told him to drive down to Rome via Milano and see how the people are doing there...
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

One thing I bought last night that you might consider:

Glo Germ and a blacklight. About $15.

This is a germ simulant that glows when under blacklight. It's used to teach you to wash your hands correctly.

You wash your hands and then shine the blacklight on them. If it still glows, you need to wash your hands better.
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 »

Mid- 60s. We’re at higher risk. One family member has an auto- immune condition and thus a compromised immune system. We are already prepared somewhat,because there have been times when he’s been urged to stay inside for up to 2 weeks ( when immunity was particularly low or when a “simple cold” wasn’t so simple when it hit ) .

So we’ve basically stocked up on more of what we usually have on hand for extended stays inside... food, water, toilet paper, meds, alcohol wipes, sanitizer, soap, water, ...the basics. We have gloves. disposable shoe covers, disposable sponges, disposable thermometer covers, masks ( which a nurse has told us offers only partial protection but does reduce some risk, mainly the force and distance the virus particles travel when a sick person is sneezing and coughing).

We’ll also get more disposable and compostable plates, bowls , cups, and cutlery. This minimizes using items that need to be touched, washed, and reused.

So if conditions warrant, our regular dishes ( which we do currently use most of the time) can remain untouched and all temporary dishes disposed of promptly . Counters and floors are already frequently cleaned and disinfected ( we use a steam cleaner) .Hands washed often, of course.

As for food, we do keep shelf stable milk,packaged dried beans, canned beans , cheese sauce, rice, tuna, dried fruit, a variety of canned vegetables, nut butters, snack food, etc..on hand. Vitamins and vitamin C tablets if fresh fruit can’t be kept on hand.
magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter »

CULater wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:50 am I'm telling everyone to get their pneumonia vaccines up to date. There are two vaccines for pneumonia that protect against different types of the infection. PCV13 helps protect people from 13 of the most severe types of bacteria that cause pneumonia. PPSV23 protects against an additional 23 types of pneumonia bacteria. I figure that many of the people who die from virus infections such as this or the flu actually die from complications such as pneumonia.
This was my first thought a few weeks ago when we started hearing about the Coronavirus. I just turned 65 (recommended age for pneumonia vaccine) last fall. So I got the first vaccine (PCV13 I guess) in early February but will have to wait a year for the second vaccine.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

I'm keeping track of my enemies so I know where to cough if I get it :wink:
Cognitive_Squeeze

Post by Cognitive_Squeeze »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:56 pm
sunny_socal wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:18 pm
Tico_75 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:04 pm I am doing absolutely nothing, it doesn't merit any special treatment. This shows misinformation and fear spreads fast, it's absurd and laughable. It's more dangerous to eat a cheeseburger (heart disease) or a doughnut (diabetes).
It's quite a beautiful experiment on society to see how people become so anxious and fearful. Behavioral economics can be applied to anything.
Same here. This too will pass, much like SARS did.
I don't think anyone doubts that. The question is how many will pass before it does.
People die all the time. We don't know the actual mortality rate for this. Fear has blown this out of proportion. Turn off the TV people.

Something positive. Check you have sufficient term insurance, a will, and power of attorney. At least, something productive can be done out of fear.
"Check ID" is my actual signature.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Good point. That's one definite area anyone can prepare for now. See the wiki: Estate planning

Questions on estate planning can be asked in the Personal finance forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Cognitive_Squeeze wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:16 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:56 pm
sunny_socal wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:18 pm
Tico_75 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:04 pm I am doing absolutely nothing, it doesn't merit any special treatment. This shows misinformation and fear spreads fast, it's absurd and laughable. It's more dangerous to eat a cheeseburger (heart disease) or a doughnut (diabetes).
It's quite a beautiful experiment on society to see how people become so anxious and fearful. Behavioral economics can be applied to anything.
Same here. This too will pass, much like SARS did.
I don't think anyone doubts that. The question is how many will pass before it does.
People die all the time. We don't know the actual mortality rate for this. Fear has blown this out of proportion. Turn off the TV people.

Something positive. Check you have sufficient term insurance, a will, and power of attorney. At least, something productive can be done out of fear.
We don't watch TV aside from Netflix.

We won't know the actual mortality rate until it's all over. Ask an epidemiologist to verify this.

We don't know that this will pass "much like SARS did." It won't last forever, but we don't know how far reaching the impact will be. Apparently, the market believes that it will be pretty bad.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:37 pm We don't watch TV aside from Netflix.

We won't know the actual mortality rate until it's all over. Ask an epidemiologist to verify this.

We don't know that this will pass "much like SARS did." It won't last forever, but we don't know how far reaching the impact will be. Apparently, the market believes that it will be pretty bad.
There are estimates the mortality rate that put it between 0.1 and 3%:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... ntain.html

We certainly don't know that it will pass like SARS did. Covid-19 could become endemic like the cold or some flu strains. Some experts believe that this will happen.

There are 4 other coronaviruses that are already endemic, this might become the 5th one:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ne/607000/

There have been no SARS cases since 2004. It may not pass that way.

But even if it becomes endemic, it's ability to move the market may pass, it may become more like the the yearly season flu in terms of the interest that it instills in the general public.
Watty

Post by Watty »

As I posted before I have been picking up additional food in case we need to stay at home to self isolate since we are retired which puts is in a high risk group.

I made a spreadsheet yesterday to get this organized and we have enough to last us at least three months if we need to isolate ourselves.

I probably spent less that $200 and it is all food that we can eventually use or give to a food bank if it not needed for an emergency.

Only ran into a few thing that you might not think of that might be useful.

1) A thermometer for each person and more covers

2) I normally take a daily vitamin, but I already had plenty of those.

3) A good supply of aspirin, tylenol, and ibuprofen for treating fevers. Topped up our normal supply of our other normal over the counter medications.

4) Costco has their version of powdered pedialyte for dehydration especially for our grandkids.

5) We already had a good supply of paper plates and disposable silverware and cups. If someone is sick these can be used then thrown out to hopefully lesson the chance of exposure to others.

6) We already had disposable rubber gloves and a few masks.

7) I have a breadmaker so I bought extra flour and yeast. Apparently putting flour in the freezer for 10 days will kill any weevils so it will keep better. I don't know that it needed but I am also putting rice and beans in the freezer for ten days to kill any insects.

8) We normally use brown rice but it does not store well, I bought a bag of parboiled rice which stores better.

We will be getting 90 day supplies of prescriptions when we can.
Last edited by Watty on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

General coronavirus comments regarding epidemiology can be made here: Bogleheads community discussion - Coronavirus
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Watty wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:45 am As I posted before I have been picking up additional food in case we need to stay at home to self isolate since we are retired which puts is in a high risk group.

I made a spreadsheet yesterday to get this organized and we have enough to last us at least three months if we need to isolate ourselves.

I probably spent less that $200 and it is all food that we can eventually use or give to a food bank if it not needed for an emergency.

Only ran into a few thing that you might not think of that might be useful.

1) A thermometer for each person and more covers

2) I normally take a daily vitamin, but I already had plenty of those.

3) A good supply of aspirin, tylenol, and ibuprofen for treating fevers. Topped up our normal supply of our other normal over the counter medications.

4) Costco has their version of powdered pedialyte for dehydration especially for our grandkids.

5) We already had a good supply of paper plates and disposable silverware and cups. If someone is sick these can be used then thrown out to hopefully lesson the chance of exposure to others.

6) We already had disposable rubber gloves and a few masks.

7) I have a breadmaker so I bought extra flour and yeast. Apparently putting flour in the freezer for 10 days will kill any weevils so it will keep better. I don't know that it needed but I am also putting rice and beans in the freezer for ten days to kill any insects.

8) We normally use brown rice but it does not store well, I bought a bag of parboiled rice which stores better.

We will be getting 90 day supplies of prescriptions when we can.
Some additional items that we have that are relatively cheap these days and could be useful (I am not going to comment about them other than you can do your own due diligence)

- blood pressure monitor
- pulse oximeter
Doodadooh

Post by Doodadooh »

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously but I haven't waded through all nine pages of suggestions.

1) One thing I'm rather proud of is that I recently trained myself not to touch my face or scalp. Initially it's incredibly frustrating not to rub an irresistible itch. Even as I type this I feel a draw to rub this little itch near the bridge of my nose. Just stop doing it. It gets easier and easier with practice.
My rationale (and this applies not just to Covid 19 but any other lurgy out there) is that the eyes, mouth and nostrils are the major entry points and the hands and fingers facilitate access to them.

2) This might be a little controversial but also I'm a big believer in the immune boosting practice of regularly taking a cold shower. While there may not be scientific proof for my assertion, I rarely seem to go down with colds and flu - and when I do, it's invariably a 24 hour recovery process.
If interested please do your own due diligence, take a warm shower or dip in the jacuzzi first.

In conclusion, my mantra is "hope for the best, plan for the worst."
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Watty wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:45 amI have a breadmaker so I bought extra flour and yeast. Apparently putting flour in the freezer for 10 days will kill any weevils so it will keep better. I don't know that it needed but I am also putting rice and beans in the freezer for ten days to kill any insects.
You have to be careful with freezing flour. It can result in condensation on the edges of the container, which can then lead to mold around those edges after thawing. So it might be a good idea to let it thaw completely, before transferring it to another container. Alternatively, you can store the flour in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers since a zero oxygen environment will kill weevils and other pests.

That said, I know people who have stored plain flour in sealed containers without even using oxygen absorbers for over five years and experienced no problems at all.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

It was at Wal-Mart this morning and I noticed there were massive skids of every size and variety of HDTVs overflowing into the aisles. I briefly thought that I should pick up a couple of extras to prepare, but then thought that the 5 that we currently have for a 4 person household would probably be enough to hold us through the crisis.

More seriously, I did not observe any runs on staples or food basics. I am interested to see if that will occur in the coming weeks or not. It did occur to me that we live in a country of amazing wealth and plenty and if we all remain calm and rational, we will probably all be ok.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Seems like the media plays a large part in fueling/amplifying fear (as we see in markets and elsewhere).

Run on toilet paper in Hawaii over coronavirus fears
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

willthrill81 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:13 am
Watty wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:45 amI have a breadmaker so I bought extra flour and yeast. Apparently putting flour in the freezer for 10 days will kill any weevils so it will keep better. I don't know that it needed but I am also putting rice and beans in the freezer for ten days to kill any insects.
You have to be careful with freezing flour. It can result in condensation on the edges of the container, which can then lead to mold around those edges after thawing. So it might be a good idea to let it thaw completely, before transferring it to another container. Alternatively, you can store the flour in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers since a zero oxygen environment will kill weevils and other pests.

That said, I know people who have stored plain flour in sealed containers without even using oxygen absorbers for over five years and experienced no problems at all.
If there is a shortage of basic foodstuffs, we will be at a societal breaking point. The last time that happened where I live was during the Civil War when trains bringing food to Richmond were stopped and looted by housewives. That said, I do have a field in the back, if it is that bad, I can raise flax and make my clothes out of flax linen. How to make flax linen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Eec859dAhg
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

F150HD wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:46 am Seems like the media plays a large part in fueling/amplifying fear (as we see in markets and elsewhere).

Why are you blaming the media? The linked story includes "People across the island are continuing to rush to stores since the health department urged people to prepare an emergency supply kit for coronavirus." If anything, blame the health department.

People often stock up on essentials in the face of a major disruptive event.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Seasonal wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:45 pm
F150HD wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:46 am Seems like the media plays a large part in fueling/amplifying fear (as we see in markets and elsewhere).

Why are you blaming the media? The linked story includes "People across the island are continuing to rush to stores since the health department urged people to prepare an emergency supply kit for coronavirus." If anything, blame the health department.

The same thing happens every time a hurricane heads anywhere near Florida. The closer it gets, the more the shoppers strip the grocery stores of water, batteries, and bread.

Unlike those rookies, we lay in sensible items, like beer, wine, mixers, ice, and limes.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

OK, done shopping. Aldi's was packed. I think we can go a couple months without going to a store much. Prescriptions also good for a few months.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

The best time to stock up is before everyone else does. Else one might find a situation similar to that described in this article from the New York Times titled ‘Where Do I Find Your Hand Sanitizer?’ Sorry, We Have None.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/busi ... tizer.html
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

7eight9 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:59 pm

The best time to stock up is before everyone else does. Else one might find a situation similar to that described in this article from the New York Times titled ‘Where Do I Find Your Hand Sanitizer?’ Sorry, We Have None.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/busi ... tizer.html
We picked up some 99% isopropyl alcohol (i.e. rubbing alcohol) yesterday when we got groceries. Previously, I'd only seen 70% on store shelves and had to order 99% on Amazon. This will work just as well as hand sanitizer. We also picked up some extra bleach.
Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:53 pm We already had plenty of food on hand, but when we went grocery shopping this morning, we got more than we normally would have of hygiene products, OTC meds, paper goods, and non-perishable food. We're now well prepared to be quarantined at home for at least a couple of months (and could eat far longer than that). We have a couple of gallons of milk frozen for our young daughter. Even if the virus suddenly disappeared, we would still consume everything we purchased, so the cost of this preparation was basically zero.

Tomorrow, we will cross into Idaho to get some less expensive gasoline, filling up all of our containers.
Just saying.
Nature Made Vitamin C chewable 500 mg.
https://innovationcompounding.com/coronavirus/
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

MP123 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:02 pm
bighatnohorse wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:52 pm Avoiding public restrooms by peeing before leaving home.
Always a sound decision! :D
I am sure that the food court, food hall, or the cafeteria buffet is WAY worse.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Mactheriverrat wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:47 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:53 pm We already had plenty of food on hand, but when we went grocery shopping this morning, we got more than we normally would have of hygiene products, OTC meds, paper goods, and non-perishable food. We're now well prepared to be quarantined at home for at least a couple of months (and could eat far longer than that). We have a couple of gallons of milk frozen for our young daughter. Even if the virus suddenly disappeared, we would still consume everything we purchased, so the cost of this preparation was basically zero.

Just saying.
Nature Made Vitamin C chewable 500 mg.
https://innovationcompounding.com/coronavirus/
Yes, we always keep some extra vitamin C handy.
Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat »

3 more Israelis recover from coronavirus after infection on cruise ship.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/2-more-is ... ysIjT7wdE0
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.
MnD

Post by MnD »

I'm now up to running 40 miles per week plus another 5 hours per week of cross-training. Plus other non-structured physical activity like walks, hikes and heavy yard work.

No longer overweight, was taken off my only prescription med due to no need, metabolic and lipid blood work has vastly improved from so-so to excellent. One of my goals when I retired at the end of 2018 was to significantly improve my diet and fitness so I didn't end up prematurely dead or with a really impaired lifestyle due to what are avoidable and reversible poor lifestyle choices. Glad I did and I'm not worried about being taken out by this disease any more than I'm worried about premature demise by numerous other low probability causes.

Seems like a crash course in improving cardiopulmonary fitness would be a lot better investment than stocking up on prepper junk.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

It is interesting reading these posts.

I always carried around a small plastic bottle with 70% isopropyl alcohol.

Always avoided door handles in public places by putting hand into coat pocket and then using the coat pocket like a glove to open the door handle. :happy

I love doors with lever handles like at my dentist's office front door. Push down then push in. No hand required.

Always carried paper towel into public restrooms in case they only have the air dryers.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

LoveTheBogle wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:31 pm
nisiprius wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:50 pm Many, many years ago I would refrain from shaking hands with people when I had a cold, but that is so impolite and it sort of half-freaked people out... and it's downright insulting to refuse somebody else's hand if they offer it. I kind of wish the authorities would conduct a serious campaign to convince people to stop doing it, but I'm not ready to fight centuries of human tradition on my own.
I frequently just fist bump people during flu season. Some people find it weird but I don’t care. I would rather someone think I am a little strange than potentially spend an evening vomiting.
I like fist-bumping, but I have a tiny worry nowadays that I will extend my right arm for a handshake while my counterpart will extend a curled-up hand for a fist-bump... and stub my fingers. It’s a bit like rock-paper-scissors when you’ve thrown paper and the other player has thrown scissors, only worse. Maybe it was popular only among my acquaintances but to prevent disease transmission we could implement the non-epidermal high-five.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

willthrill81 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:43 pm
We picked up some 99% isopropyl alcohol (i.e. rubbing alcohol) yesterday when we got groceries. Previously, I'd only seen 70% on store shelves and had to order 99% on Amazon. This will work just as well as hand sanitizer. We also picked up some extra bleach.
For what it's worth, a high percentage alcohol (say, 99%) is actually LESS anti-microbial than a 70% would be. Reason: it evaporates too quickly. You'll want to stick with a 50-70% concentration so that the alcohol has time to have it's killing effect, before it evaporates.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

Our local Costco is swamped today with people stocking up on supplies. They are sold out of various items (like bottled water, toilet paper, lysol wipes) already.
MnD

Post by MnD »

Finridge wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:23 pm Our local Costco is swamped today with people stocking up on supplies. They are sold out of various items (like bottled water, toilet paper, lysol wipes) already.
I figured as such. And as soon as other people observe this or read or watch it in the news they will join the panicky "must do something" crowd.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

MnD wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:31 pm
Finridge wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:23 pm Our local Costco is swamped today with people stocking up on supplies. They are sold out of various items (like bottled water, toilet paper, lysol wipes) already.
I figured as such. And as soon as other people observe this or read or watch it in the news they will join the panicky "must do something" crowd.
Even if you don't think it is warranted you are still affected by it. It's like a "run" on the bank in the old days before FDIC. You may not agree with it or think it rational, but you definitely don't want to be the last one in line...
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Damn... lots of good ideas. I bought a thermometer, out of courtesy to others to make sure I can somewhat identify if I've got something early "ish". Other than this, I'm using germ killing wipes when I travel (wiping down the airline tray and anything anyone might have touched). I'm also just being more mindful to wash my hands, keep myself healthy by going to the gym regularly and eating clean.

I'm not bothering with masks as I'm told medical professionals need these more than myself, probably elderly folks too. I'm pretty young, so worst case I get it, I'll just hunker down at home till I'm better or if things get beyond "cold like symptoms" I'll call urgent care to figure out what I should do.

Honestly, if the handshake social custom dies from this.... so much the better. Was never a fan of having to touch people's potentially filthy paws just to be polite :| .

I also happen to have a spare can of Lysol wipes (lemon scent!), if you PM me I'll sell it to you for $500, "free" shipping :D.
Last edited by mrspock on Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect »

Hand sanitizers already ran out at our local CVS. Face masks were unavailable since one month ago. My wife bought a large bag of toilet papers in Costco before they too might run out.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Are you sure that isn't just a normal day at Costco? That place is just a zoo every time I've been there, you'd think they announced they stopped making paper towels, unfashionable clothing and baked goods.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Tdubs wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:53 pm OK, done shopping. Aldi's was packed. I think we can go a couple months without going to a store much. Prescriptions also good for a few months.
Will the massive stock-up slow down shopping over the next few months? Did Y2K prep have a notable effect on retail sales in early 2000? Or does pre-hurricane shopping effect non-post-hurricane sales?
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

I usually go to Happy Hour 2-3 days a week to a local pub for a cpl beers and to watch some games. On Thursday I bought a case of beer at Costco, and am going to stay home for a while instead. Times are changing...
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

mrspock wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:00 pm
Are you sure that isn't just a normal day at Costco? That place is just a zoo every time I've been there, you'd think they announced they stopped making paper towels, unfashionable clothing and baked goods.
Went to Costco a couple days ago and the door checker was wiping the handles of every incoming shopping cart with sanitary wipes. I said to my wife, "And so, it has begun."