What are your not free but still frugal hobbies?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rich126

Re: What are your not free but still frugal hobbies?

Post by rich126 »

Surfing the Internet can lead to a number of interesting articles, stories, etc. Some historical in nature, others educational and applicable to doing things today.

I play games but not frequently and not online games.

I spend a lot of time doing various activities on my computer, often computer security stuff. I also play a baseball simulation game that requires doing some homework and analyzing players in a text-like simulation (nothing graphical). Learn a lot about players from many decades ago.

Lots of movies and streaming stuff, often in the background while on the computer.

Fortunately I'm not interested in a lot of expensive stuff. I don't mind a trip to Europe for 10 days, every other year. I like eating out but I'm a modest food eater. A good sandwich works as well as an expensive filet for me.

People watching can be cheap and interesting, although scary at times :D
Laika

Post by Laika »

Watercolors is my latest. It's sensual and meditative, with lots to learn. Not super cheap, but frugal enough compared to many of my hobbies.

Costs: For good results and to avoid being held back, you are almost forced to use top quality watercolor paper, professional pigments and high quality brushes. In my opinion, adults who are at all serious should skip the student-grade products.
  • Paper: About $40 US per 20 sheets (e.g. Arches 140lb blocks). Most important, but a big part of the expense since you will burn through a lot of it while learning.
  • Pigments: Most will start with something like 7+ colors for a decent beginning kit, at ~$10-15 each for "artist" or "professional" grade tubes. A little goes a long way with artist-grade, since the tubes contain a lot more pigment.
  • Brushes: A basic set of good quality brushes are needed, say size 4, 8 and 12 rounds, a "mop" and one flat. Synthetic can be cheap enough, but those three rounds in the highest-quality Kolinskly sable would be in the $100-300 range.
  • Palette and a few other little items: Plastic or tin palettes are common, but porcelain is a lot nicer. $10-$100.
Now if only all those YouTube experts would stop making everything look far easier than it really is!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Reading physical books.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Online typing tests. Cost = monthly AT&T internet bill!
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

Social media

100,000 followers

1.2 million “likes”

2700 pieces of video content created

6000 subscribers

Cellular data plan $2/day
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Rubiks' cube speedsolving - My 'flagship' top-rated cube costs $9, and my total expenditure on cubing is well <$100 despite getting nearly everything possible. Speedsolvers will often solve the cube hundreds of times over several hours per day, it's not like one solve and that's it. I've found that it's also quite conducive to getting into the enjoyable 'flow' state!

Chess - Even if you WANT to spend thousands of dollars on this activity, it's very hard to actually do so. The most expensive part is the internet connection but you likely already have that. Almost all the best learning tools and videos are free online and easily found.

Netflix - I hate to admit it, but Netflix is def one of the biggest bang for buck services you can get. I personally only watch it when I am on a treadmill or exercise bike, or else I force myself to watch it in a foreign language (spanish) so I'm learning while I watch, but my kid watches it wayyyy too much....

Running - Yeah, it's cheap, keeps you in shape, easily worth the cost of the running gear and shoes even if you get good stuff

NOT cycling for me! - I'm a fairly serious cyclist and I also strive to keep my cycling budget as low as I can but once you're no longer a casual cyclist, bike stuff gets expensive, quick. Clothing alone for 2 seasons is in the several hundred to thousand range, and bike repairs get surprisingly costly even if you DIY it (tools, parts, TIME). Def don't fall for the ruse that DIY bike mechanics love to pull, saying 'learn to do it yourself and save $$$$!" What they don't tell you is that it takes so much time to learn or re-learn to fix your bikes that it comes out as a wash, and tools and parts (!!) cost. Still, a bike habit <<<< golf for sure and is def better for you, but bike >>>> running which is >>> chess / cubing for cost
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

Plants! I love propagating and growing them. Pothos, Orchids, various cacti, among other house plants. So much fun and gives you always something to look forward to. I love coming home from my several day trips at work and getting to check on the progress. This also leads me to other things like composting my coffee grounds and other things to make my own “black gold” compost to make my own potting soil. Dorky fun I suppose. :D But its basically free.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Golf. I play with someone who loves to gamble and is particularly bad at it. So I get paid to play golf, though the hourly rate isn't that great.
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

20 years ago, I really enjoyed buying cars that I thought were cool but most would classify as clunkers and then heavily modifying them. They would serve as both my daily driver + participation in events like drag racing, autocross, and car meetups. Not necessarily the cheapest hobby, but sort of frugal if you consider the vehicle was always my daily driver :mrgreen: Those days are far behind me now and it's not something I am currently interested in, but I really enjoyed the creative and social aspect

These days, I am usually working on some kind of software side project which costs $0, and in some cases has the potential to create new income streams.

I also do like Video Games, I game on PC and tend to only buy a few games per year and play them for a long period of time (due to interest, not cost), primarily through Steam unless it's not available on Steam. Genres I like: Role Playing, Strategy, Simulation
EdNorton

Post by EdNorton »

Chip wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:11 am Golf. I play with someone who loves to gamble and is particularly bad at it. So I get paid to play golf, though the hourly rate isn't that great.
Golf if you can work at course. I mow greens 2 mornings a week, about 2 hours a day, for minimum wage plus free golf and cart. I play about 4 rounds a week, so with minimum wage and free golf, that's about $40/hour. I usually spend my paycheck at the 19'th hole.
:sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

I enjoy backpacking; hence my username.

It can enable you to scratch the travel "itch" at nominal cost, but is very enjoyable. The gear is expensive, but if you don't try to follow the latest gear "trends", can be used for decades.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Home-roasting coffee
Chess
Fountain pens
Watches
Books
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

EdNorton wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:47 am
Chip wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:11 am Golf. I play with someone who loves to gamble and is particularly bad at it. So I get paid to play golf, though the hourly rate isn't that great.
Golf if you can work at course. I mow greens 2 mornings a week, about 2 hours a day, for minimum wage plus free golf and cart. I play about 4 rounds a week, so with minimum wage and free golf, that's about $40/hour. I usually spend my paycheck at the 19'th hole.
Brilliant!
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash »

iRacing. Cheapest way to race cars. If you have a computer and Internet already, all you need are a few hundred $s of equipment (force feedback steering wheel) and a subscription ($13 a month). Then you can race with the free cars and tracks against other racers all over the world. They try to entice you to buy other cars and tracks though. I did buy 3 cars and tracks since that opened the door to a lot more racing. Tracks were shared amongst multiple series with the cars I purchased, so feel like I got my money’s worth with the one time fee. If you have a need for speed this is the cheap way to scratch that itch.
Lazareth

Post by Lazareth »

Yoga.

It's my new lifestyle (at age 66) and I feel the best in 30+ years.
a/66, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Serial entrepreneur. I still code and have kept up with modern programming languages and build techniques. Who knows maybe one of my next projects will spin off some money, but it's still fun regardless.

Cycle a lot, and would hike more if I was out of South Florida. My husband and I want to ride a lot more of the rails to trails around the USA, after covid, like we did in years past. We used to ballroom dance a whole whole lot, but my knee does not like it anymore. So that's off the table

I also have a hobby that helps me meet more female friends (I've spent my life in heavily male-dominated industries, and have enjoyed making new female friends in retirement). When I was in a leg cast in my youth, I took up embroidery, to help pass the time. The complexity of some of the stitches was extremely interesting. So now, I take my hoop and embroidery floss, and sit near a pool with it. Jacobean embroidery is very intricate. It's sort of like a man walking with a dog to meet ladies; it's a great opener for meeting new friends.

We also like board games. Ones made of good materials and craftsmanship.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Golf. After upfront equipment years back, it does not cost me anywhere I thought it would. I play 1:00 or 2:00 and rates drop big time. It is also great bonding time with my son.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I also love watching movies! Always did.
Tony
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Foredeck wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:23 am Reading. Get a library card. Costs nothing.
you may want to read the original post
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Book scouting. Get a lot of enjoyment in 'rescuing' a book and getting it in the hands of someone who values it.

I pay 10 cents to $1 per book, keep what interests me, sell some on Amazon. Began this in 2012 - now have a good understanding of where to find them and types of books that will sell (don't use a scanner) - my average sale (gross) is in the $20s range, My self-imposed minimum list price is $12 + shipping. Donate books that don't meet my minimum sales criterion to Goodwill (probably 50% of what I buy). Highest price received for a book has been $300+.

File a Schedule C for this activity, pay state sales tax, allows me to deduct mileage, shipping, containers, postage, etc. Generates a small (<$1000) profit each year, so no 'net' outlay (ignoring time invested).
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
james865

Post by james865 »

Backyard Birding.

Initial setup cost ($250 for 8 feeders, poles, and bafflers) and on-going seed purchases (high quality — black oil sunflower, thistle, and safflower only) — for hours and hours of viewing pleasure. They can be seen from our kitchen table and living room.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

james865 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:20 pm Backyard Birding.

Initial setup cost ($250 for 8 feeders, poles, and bafflers) and on-going seed purchases (high quality — black oil sunflower, thistle, and safflower only) — for hours and hours of viewing pleasure. They can be seen from our kitchen table and living room.
I do this too, but only three feeders, two of them black oil sunflower (only) and the third suet. One November we counted thirteen (!) male cardinals in our tree simultaneously, each waiting their turn on the feeder. They don’t mind being together when it’s off breeding season. Many blue jays, woodpeckers, and sundry others too. I can get fifty lb. bags of black oil sunflower seeds for $17-$18 on sale. I also maintain two bird baths, one of them is heated in the wintertime.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

Wine making near a grape growing regions. If you form a good network of industry relationships, there are often farmers and grape brokers with surplus or very cheap fruit; or free 2nd pick opportunities; or home vineyards without picking, winemaking, or management skills who will trade fruit for help. It is quite easy to get free fruit, borrow or buy used equipment and make wine for almost free. It is also fun to socialize in this community. One barrel maker I bought a single small barrel from invited me to several of their Chistmas parties, where top local restaurants catered with their best food (think oysters on half shell, duck confit, artisan cheese for days, for free, and wine that went for hundreds per bottle pouring freely. Bring your own and stories to share and more winery doors open.
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash »

If you live near a beach, surfing. Cost of a used board is a few hundred at most. Wax = $5 and lasts months. Wet suit for colder climates $150 or so. Public beach access = free. Ocean and beach = free.
merganser

Post by merganser »

Metal Detecting

Minelab Vanquish 540- $400

Money Recovered in 9 months finding coins- $275.28
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Frugal hobbies I've had in the past or keep coming back to:

Hyper-miling. These are techniques and tweaks to get the highest MPG on your vehicle as possible. I've gotten 32 MPG for the full tank of gas on a 5 year old Honda Odyssey minivan.

Vegetable gardening. You can spend a lot or a little. I stopped doing it several years ago, but picked it up again due to the pandemic.

Edible landscaping. This is related to vegetable gardening, but is not the same thing. It's deliberately planting permanent food crops, which come back year after year with minimal maintenance. These are things like asparagus, whose crowns can keep producing for 25 years, blueberries, which can produce for 50 years, or other nut or fruit crops.

BING point harvesting. If you sign up with Microsoft rewards, you can get paid for performing minor activities and searches every day. It's not much, about $25 every couple of months or so. But for a few minutes a day, I get play money in Walmart gift cards or Starbucks money or something else I usually wouldn't buy.

Recycling. I used to live in a state which had a can deposit program. I'd collect discarded cans at colleges and other locations and recycle them for money. It helped the environment and made change on the side. I don't do this any more, but I did it for about 15 years as a hobby.

Paintball. This isn't necessarily a frugal sport, there there are ways to make it into one. I'd organize paintball events. Paintball sites let you play for free if you arrange with them to bring a big enough group. This also comes in the form of discounted rates where everyone shares in the discount. I also would buy ammo by the case and break them up into smaller bags to sell to fellow paintballers. It essentially made my ammo free.

Cooking. I enjoy trying to make high end meals at home from scratch, or duplicating favorite dishes I saw in a restaurant.

Making clear ice. This is an obsession. There are techniques to make clear ice at home.

Fishing. You can spend a little or a lot. If you garden as well, the bait is free.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

Scuba diving. I stay at places that are cheap and don't buy "tourist" extras. I also tend to eat cheaply on vacation. No need to go out for expensive dinners, there are plenty of restaurants where I live. Yes, there's the gear. But buy quality gear to start and it lasts a long time. No traveling lately, but with 500 lifetime dives I've learned how to keep costs down for all the travel aspects.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Hiking. It's now really down to the cost of trail runners two to three times a year.
jheaps

Post by jheaps »

Gardening. Spend around 500 to setup raised beds, fence, irrigation supplies etc. After first year goal was to spend less and have a self sufficient garden. I had to pay to throw garden waste, grass clippings, fall leaves etc somewhere. Now I save that by composting. I save seeds and seed start everything. We get fresh vegetables for 4 months every year and also able to freeze many of them for additional 3-4 months. Next year's project is to save rain water and hook it up to drip system. Garden has paid back far more than its setup and yearly running cost.
OffgridSooz

Post by OffgridSooz »

Cooking vegan food
Gardening, including growing and storing my own food
Walking my 6 rescued dogs
Running
Buying and reading used books
Yoga

65 years old/ retired & work part-time
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

merganser wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:51 pm Metal Detecting

Minelab Vanquish 540- $400

Money Recovered in 9 months finding coins- $275.28
I metal detect too, started in the early 80s, but not lately, the last time was over a year ago. I started with a Bounty Hunter which eventually broke. Now I use an older Garrett and a Garrett pinpointer. The oldest thing I ever found was an 1892 quarter near an old train station that had become a restaurant.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Oatmeal
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

This is my list of hobbies, and they are fairly cheap. Some of these hobbies can be expensive if you let them. Most do have some initial investment at the start.
1. Hunting. Costs me about $300 a year plus transportation costs. 50 plus days a year while getting good exercise climbing mountains on public land to reach my honey holes. Some people may spend thousands because they "need" to purchase hunting land, 4 wheelers, big trucks to look the part, equipment, ect.
2. Fishing. Costs me about $1000 a year, but $750 of that is for a weeks vacation to the outer banks with a group of guy friends. Looking at 40 plus days a year. Some people spend thousands of dollars because they "need" a boat, trailer, storage or big truck to tow it, high end equipment, ect.
3. Walking,Hiking and/or backpacking. Costs about $300 a year plus transportation costs. Shoes and cold weather clothing is the biggest expense. Good exercise and 150 plus days a year. This hobby is fairly cheap for anyone wanting to do this.
4. Reading. 0 dollars because I have a library card. I may actually budget a couple hundred dollars next year, as some books that I am interested in aren't available at the library. Another cheap hobby for almost everyone.
All of these hobbies are funded by my cost savings of DIY low cost investing. According to Vanguard my savings, compared with the costs of the industry average mutual fund, would had been approximately $22,514 during the past year. Perhaps I am actually making money off of my hobbies (reading) through the years.
deserat

Post by deserat »

Love the banana sticker collecting 😂

Many 'expensive' hobbies can be done cheaply if one is creative: I like downhill skiing. I buy my equipment and clothing on sale and then keep it for many years. I then look for inexpensive lift tickets or other ways to subsidize those costs. One year the Epic Pass was $99 for military/veterans....I bought it and skied for 10+ days...made my lift ticket cost < $10/day. I stayed with friends and cooked them dinner every night....

I crochet/knit-I do have nice tools, however, as with most things, if you buy well made tools, the cost per use goes down over time. Also, you learn about the materials (yarn) and choose the correct materials for the project at hand. The most creative items many times can be made with cast-off's or less expensive materials while still showing the crafter's skills. I am impressed with people who make art out of non-traditional material. 'Scrap' afghans can be very pretty and are based on leftover yarn. The creativity comes in choosing a unifying base color and motif, stripe or ripple design for all the other colors of yarn.

Cooking-I've been using up items in the pantry and poring over cookbooks. I've also been drying fruits and vegetables in my oven. The leftover leek green tops make a tasty powder for seasoning when dried and ground.

Hiking-good boots and a decent map. Here in Europe the Komoot app has been helpful as well.

Badminton-expense is mainly in feather birds once you have a nice lightweight racket and court shoes.
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

Watty wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:52 am
JacobTeach wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:35 pm Inspired by the luxurious hobbies thread, what are your not free but still frugal hobbies?
Photography can be crazy expensive if you buy high end gear but it does not need to be.
Once you have decent digital photo gear the ongoing cost is close to zero until you start making prints. And hopefully my sunk cost in Canon EF lenses and body will be useful for a long time to come.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Boating for me is actually not bad. I bought my current boat in 2005 for $14K. It is a 23 foot power boat. It holds 6 people and lots of stuff. Most days we take 4 people for long days on the water. We do this for four months of summer.

We spend $600 for winter and summer prep work and $400 (?? guess ) for repairs and extra maintenance. We pay $350 for insurance and Boat US. We pay $720 for summer trailer storage and winter boat storage. We dock in our back yard. We buy gas about every three weeks for $70. So total annual costs are $2443.

We go out for a dinner or sunset cruises twice a week all summer. We go on all day tours and beach events once a week all summer. So I estimate we get in 160 hours of boat time for wife and I. This calculates to a hourly cost of $7.60 per hour for each of us. Not bad for a fun activity that looks expensive before you analyze it. .

Good Luck.
Old Sage(brush)

Post by Old Sage(brush) »

Knitting. You can make all kinds of useful things, hats, scarfs, mittens, sweaters etc. I've actually never done it, so not much of a hobby, but it has not cost me much.

I bought some yarn in Iceland a few years back. Learning to knit and the actual knitting are still in my future. Maybe.
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

3D Printing - I use free SW from various sources for the design work. And print at the local library 3D printers (for free).
I've created lots of brackets, gadgets and things to fix refridgerator hinges, closet hanger rods, etc.

For helping with my 'hobby', I support the local library with an occasional "Friends of the Library" donation via my DAF, to offset the cost of their supplies and maintenance.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

rockstar wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:48 pm Hiking. It's now really down to the cost of trail runners two to three times a year.
Thats ours too. We have almost 100 regional and state parks within a 45 min drive.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

For my frugal hobby, two things are necessary - an internet connected computer and some kind of music listening system. I have that stuff already. I search for recordings of high quality, non commercially released concerts of artists that I like, then I download them, convert the files from zip to flac or MP3’s. Then I listen to them. I have hundreds, maybe even a thousand or more - almost a terabyte worth. I already legitimately own almost every commercially released recording of the artists that I collect concerts of. Some of these concerts are referred to as ROIO’s - recordings of indeterminate origin.
Gooch1226

Post by Gooch1226 »

Using a gym that my job provides ! No monthly fees and no annnual maintenance fee that most gym charge, no cancellation charge .
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Guitar and piano music. Nearly free as already have the instruments. Singing is free.

Global correspondence via snail mail and fountain pens, also antique typewriters. Cost is ink and paper. Stamps. Postage.

Vintage fountain pens. Vintage manual typewriters.

Photography. Nearly free as already have needed (high end and studio) gear. DW as well. Portfolios and commercial work does bring in some funds that help offset some costs, so it evens out in the long run. Fun hobby.
Inks and Photo paper for our large print printer can be pricey. But not used very much. Occasional lab prints if we're changing or upgrading home artwork.

Health, fitness, etc. Own gym and training room is free. Healthy food and things cost a little more than unhealthy food and things.
Tai Chi/Chi Kung, etc. training: free.

Puttering in the shop. Minimal costs depending on puttering project level.

Exploring the National Forests and road trips in our region via truck or ATV/UTV's. Costs: gas, occasional repairs.

Browsing thrift stores, etc. DW occasionally finds a treasure.

Reading, lot's of books at the same time, preferably physical paper books.

We have a sort of "mini ranch" and some huge list of DIY projects, plus farm equipment, so I'm not sure if this is a hobby or things that just have to be done, like fixing a broken horse corral gate when it is 20 degrees in the morning. . . . . or servicing the tractor. . . :confused :confused

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:23 pm Golf. After upfront equipment years back, it does not cost me anywhere I thought it would. I play 1:00 or 2:00 and rates drop big time. It is also great bonding time with my son.

Best.
Tony
+1
Outstanding!
Son played golf since he could hold a club. DW also took PGA lessons. Family golf is a wonderful thing. Also started with my dad.
Like the cartoons, from Goof to Goof to Goof. . .

(League and club group golf at Hawaii's resorts and high end courses can be pretty pricey. The club rates help bring it down to $80-100/round on private courses.)

Though, sadly, recently gave up anything more than 9 holes on an executive par 3 course due to health. Shucks. . . .
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

mancich wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:29 am Learning advanced Excel skills on YouTube (cost of Internet only). I recommend ExcelisFun. The guy who teaches it is awesome (I have no affiliation with him, I just think he is great)
What is considered advanced excel skills these days? Its like 80% of my job and the everyone says the people in our dept are good at it. I just have no outside frame of reference and there is a lot i dont use but could probably learn without too much trouble.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:30 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:23 pm Golf. After upfront equipment years back, it does not cost me anywhere I thought it would. I play 1:00 or 2:00 and rates drop big time. It is also great bonding time with my son.

Best.
Tony
+1
Outstanding!
Son played golf since he could hold a club. DW also took PGA lessons. Family golf is a wonderful thing. Also started with my dad.
Like the cartoons, from Goof to Goof to Goof. . .

(League and club group golf at Hawaii's resorts and high end courses can be pretty pricey. The club rates help bring it down to $80-100/round on private courses.)

Though, sadly, recently gave up anything more than 9 holes on an executive par 3 course due to health. Shucks. . . .
The older I get the more I enjoy 9 holes. Done in 2 hours and not 4 hours. With heat that is plenty. I wish I could play like 10-12 holes instead of 18!

Tony
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

This year I started doing some genealogy. Mom’s folks were from eastern Europe Poland). But my dad’s family Goes way back - earlier than the American Revolution and into the early 17th century.

I started with a membership to Ancestry. And am now looking at other genealogy sites. I just wish they would not have named their kids after themselves!
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

EdNorton wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:47 am
Howdy

Money well spent!

Happy tippling

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

flaccidsteele wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:12 am Social media

100,000 followers

1.2 million “likes”

2700 pieces of video content created

6000 subscribers

Cellular data plan $2/day
Just completed a 7 day offer using social media

Pulled in just under $50k

Had to pay for a few things: payment processing (GumRoad $10/mo), site hosting (Bluehost $2.95/mo), domain name registration ($1/mo), email newsletter software (MailerLite $30/mo), bank account ($5/mo)

Coolest frugal hobby I’ve had in my life so far
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

VictoriaF wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:22 am Reading physical books.

Victoria
Reading (studying) physics books.