What are your not free but still frugal hobbies?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JacobTeach

What are your not free but still frugal hobbies?

Post by JacobTeach » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:35 pm

Inspired by the luxurious hobbies thread, what are your not free but still frugal hobbies?

Let’s define frugal by cost divided by time spent. So a $60 video game that you played for 600 hours would have a cost of $0.10 per hour.

Let’s also exclude free (or nearly free) activities like going for walks, reading (library, free news sources, etc), writing, playing free mobile games, what have you.

I think video games (or games in general) will win the cost per hour metric, but I wonder what else gets close?

Re: What are your not free but still frugal hobbies?

Post by 123 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:44 pm

Solitare. $1 deck of cards good for maybe 1,000 hours is an expense ratio of 0.1 cents per hour

Edited to add:
Bicycle riding $1,000 bike cost + $1,000 parts and repairs over 10 years = $2,000
Ride 5 hrs a week = 2,600 hrs in 10 years
$2,000 expense + 2,600 hrs = 77 cents an hour.
Last edited by 123 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:45 pm

Running? More about getting staying healthy, but still a hobby, I guess.

Well, running (no pun intended) the numbers, it is not cheap :) Nevermind, I guess!

$240 in shoes yearly, 4-pairs.

1,100 miles per year, 140ish hours per year = $1.69 per hour.

Of course, the health benefits are not able to be valued!

retire57

Post by retire57 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:50 pm

New York Times crossword puzzle annual subscription- $45.

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:24 pm

Gardening, especially vegetables.

Spend quite a bit on seeds and amendment, etc, but cost offset somewhat if not completely by produce (when the gophers leave it alone!)

Unladen_Swallow

Post by Unladen_Swallow » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:40 pm

I milk Netflix and Amazon.
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman

Pu239

Post by Pu239 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:02 am

Collecting coins from pocket change.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:05 am

Prime, Netflix and Acorn TV

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:07 am

DIY projects around the house instead of hiring things done. This 'hobby' keeps me busy, physically active, mentally sharp (learning and performing new skills) and saves me money so VERY frugal. :happy

Edit: I also run, hike, bike, play cards with friends, etc.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

22twain

Post by 22twain » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:09 am

My low-volume niche hobby web site is cheap to maintain, less than $60 per year for hosting and my primary domain name. I have a few extra domains that point to my primary one, so the total is actually around $110 per year.

The content is mainly my hobby-related photos. There are travel expenses associated with collecting those, so there's a question of how to allocate those costs. Those are mostly budget-level road trips, anyway.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:12 am

runner3081 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:45 pm

Well, running (no pun intended) the numbers, it is not cheap :) Nevermind, I guess!

Running cost me 2 knee replacements. So my $/hr was considerably higher.

I love the joke about running. Sure, it adds a week to your life per every year of running, but you will have spent that extra time running.

cellisto

Post by cellisto » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:19 am

Cello.

Other than cost ($6k) and strings ($100 a year) then nothing else. 15+ years at it now.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:45 am

Collecting fossils. Modest annual and one-time costs.
* Driving to the beach or, occasionally, traveling to an inland site.
* A few tools for "rescuing" fossils.
* A few tools and some materials to prep fossils, although if I invested in a whole at-home prep lab, it would no longer be a frugal hobby.
* Club membership. (Members share their expertise -- and their tools.)
* And, of course, buying fossils.

flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:46 am

JacobTeach wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:35 pm
Inspired by the luxurious hobbies thread, what are your not free but still frugal hobbies?

Let’s define frugal by cost divided by time spent. So a $60 video game that you played for 600 hours would have a cost of $0.10 per hour.

Let’s also exclude free (or nearly free) activities like going for walks, reading (library, free news sources, etc), writing, playing free mobile games, what have you.

I think video games (or games in general) will win the cost per hour metric, but I wonder what else gets close?
Hearthstone (free game)
Pokémon Go (free game)
Tik Tok (free social media)
Body weight exercises (pull ups, push ups, pistol squats)
Meetups (free networking)
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat

vipertom1970

Post by vipertom1970 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:23 am

Sample Costco food for free on weekends, they had 5 different flavor meatball samples at just one station last week.
:sharebeer

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:52 am

JacobTeach wrote:
Photography can be crazy expensive if you buy high end gear but it does not need to be.

By buying used or refurbished consumer level equipment you can get a very capable setup for less than $1,000 that is more than good enough for most amateurs.

For example here is a refurbished camera and lens like I have for less than $600 which would leave you with another $400 for a second used lens and other miscellaneous equipment.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/cata ... efurbished

I expect that it will last me the better part of ten years before I decide to upgrade again so the cost per year is not that bad. In ten years it will likely still have some modest resale value too.

While cameras like this have some compromises, like the sensor size, ten years ago few cameras could have matched its specifications so it is not like you would be settling for bad equipment that can't take good pictures.

This is might be better called affordable than frugal but if you are on a tight budget you can put together a very usable setup with older used equipment for even less money.

Johnfmh

Post by Johnfmh » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:49 am

Bird watching with some caveats.

1. You don’t buy expensive optics. These days, mid-range binoculars in $300–$400 range are nearly as good as optics costing thousands of dollars.

2. You do not make expensive trips abroad with birding companies like Birdquest or Field Guides, and instead stick to local birding (walks organized by the Audubon society) with occasional trips to festivals, which are much cheaper than ones arranged by expensive tour operators.

3. You don’t fly or drive thousands of miles to chase rarities.

4. You focus on bird watching and not bird photography, which involves a lot of expensive equipment.

brandy

Post by brandy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:20 am

Keeping my brain active. :happy
About 50 years ago I was given a pretty complete art outfit: wood floor easel, oil paints, acrylics, brushes, canvases, oil pastels, charcoal, papers, etc. I still have a lot of them. I've used the supplies off and on over the years, and out of pocket added to them. I've bought books, both new and used, another easel, more paint and brushes. People started giving me supplies, now I have a closet full, which is nice, and to which I'd like to add more. :happy
I think the most I spent was a few years ago at an estate sale: $140 for 3 big bags of oil paint (most were partially used, some colors I hadn't heard of, a few I had to toss) 3 table easels and 2 pochade boxes. More recently, 2 more easels, watercolors, including acrylic and gouache, magazines, books, sculpting tools, canvases and art paper were given to me.
I enjoy painting when it's not frustrating, and have produced some decent pieces.
So, I don't spend a lot of money on it.
I used to drive to scenic areas to paint, but not so much now. I meet with a few artists to paint occasionally.
Online time is spent at a few sites/forums, solitaire, scrabble, puzzles.
I think about crocheting again as I have a lot of yarn, and won't buy more for proposed projects.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:24 am

JacobTeach wrote:

I can't imagine playing video games, even at $0.10 per hour.

I play pickleball three days a week. It comes out to about $1.00 per hour.

As they say, the best things in life are (almost) free. But since you want to exclude free activities, I'll leave them off.
Very Stable Genius

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:33 am

Gym: 5 days a week for an hour at $10 a month

Gardening: about 20 hours a week. I still buy some perennials and an occasional shrub, but mostly now am moving things around, dividing and so forth. Saved a lot of money this past fall; I have a young man who helps me now with the difficult work such as aerating and mowing the back field; he carted over literally utility trailers full of leaves from other yards he rakes leaves for and mowed them down to a mulch for me. He did it for free since it saved him the $25 per load fee that the county charges for a business to dump leaves and it saved him the mileage.

Painting: I paint abstracts when the mood strikes. Its not expensive and I get a lot of my paint from the little containers they sell as leftovers at the home improvement stores.

I have a little herb garden in the back of my property in the summer with an honesty box. Word has gotten out and folks pick herbs and leave me a buck or two per picking.

Reading: Reading a lot of primary sources which are on-line (right now reading all of Hening's Statutes at Large http://vagenweb.org/hening/ ) and also primary sources such as The Official Papers of Francis Fauquier, Lieutenant Governor of Virginia, 1758-1768 - I got all three volumes (about 1,500 pages) at the Va. Historical Society for $2.50...not much demand I suppose :) https://www.amazon.com/Official-Lieuten ... 0813908566
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:02 am, edited 6 times in total.

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 am

runner3081 wrote:

I'm getting close to $1K/yr. The Brooks Ghost series sets me back about $130 per par of shoes and I'm already registered for a couple half marathons. The second may involve an overnight stay in a hotel.

1130Super

Post by 1130Super » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:38 am

123 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:44 pm
Solitare. $1 deck of cards good for maybe 1,000 hours is an expense ratio of 0.1 cents per hour

Edited to add:
Bicycle riding $1,000 bike cost + $1,000 parts and repairs over 10 years = $2,000
Ride 5 hrs a week = 2,600 hrs in 10 years
$2,000 expense + 2,600 hrs = 77 cents an hour.
How are you getting 1000 hours of use on a deck of cards? I go through a good deck of plastic cards ($5) probably every 50hrs because they wear out.

For my $150 fantasy football entry fee I get about 150 hours a season of increased excitement from watching football.

1130Super

Post by 1130Super » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:43 am

Pu239 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:02 am
Collecting coins from pocket change.
+1 I got a jar full of silver coins (mostly dimes)

OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:55 am

CoastalWinds wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:12 am
runner3081 wrote:

Running cost me 2 knee replacements. So my $/hr was considerably higher.

I love the joke about running. Sure, it adds a week to your life per every year of running, but you will have spent that extra time running.
Yep, I think a lower impact activity like biking ends up being less expensive if you can avoid things like getting hit by a bus. :D

saveinvestbecomefree

Post by saveinvestbecomefree » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:00 am

Outdoor adventures. The gear can seem somewhat pricey up front but once you have it, it lasts a long time and if you go out enough, the cost per use is low. I even have a spreadsheet (nerd alert!) that tracks what I paid and how many times I used it to prevent me from "upgrading" too quickly. My examples are mainly backpacking, rock climbing, & ice climbing. Mountain biking and skiing could be added but these are getting outside the "frugal" category.

OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:02 am

My long-time frugal hobby is pleasure reading. Very cheap if you get books from a library.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:06 am

I paid $21.95 for Minecraft in 2011, so that's countless hours of gameplay for about $2.50/year.

student

Post by student » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:07 am

Surf the internet.

JPH

Post by JPH » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 am

I used to collect the little stickers that come on bananas. Once people knew that I was into it they started bringing them back to me from their travels all over the world. I started because I used to have lunch with a colleague who had several elaborate and expensive collections that he liked to brag about. As a joke whenever he would brag about one of his collections I would change the subject to banana stickers. When I retired I donated the collection to my administrative assistant.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

Foredeck

Post by Foredeck » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:23 am

Reading. Get a library card. Costs nothing.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:33 am

We have a vibrant performing community with several theaters that produce excellent stage shows. The cost for season tickets is absurdly cheap for 8 tickets than can be used at each of four theaters in any combination for $150, sometimes $20 off that price and with "Pay what you can" performances as well. Significant private support augmented by those who make contributions in addition to ticket purchase. Also, fishing while walking around local ponds and lakes with a surprisingly large number of large bass, crappie and bream, along with absurdly inexpensive ($5 for walking nine-holes) local golf.
Tim

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:44 am

Hobby as lifestyle. $370 per year for a couples membership to our community rec center - amazing bargain. Provides free classes multiple times per week - yoga, pilates, boot camp, zumba, spin, as well as a RB court, weight room, speed bag and heavy bag, ping pong, walking track, and 3 pools. We attend classes or otherwise use the facility 1-2 hours 5-6 days/week on average.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:36 am

Home Improvement - negative cost for the projects that need to be done anyways, vs hiring out the work.

When I had more time, I volunteered on the restoration and maintenence crew with a history museum that keeps a sternwheeler in operating condition and curated a lot of regional maritime history. Membership was $15 annually. It addressed both my history and mechanical, hands-on interests. I would enjoy getting back into that, although where I live now, it would be an aviation museum.

If i went 3 hours a week, that was $0.10 /hour to play with a machine more expensive than most exotic cars.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:54 am

Greenwood working.
200 for an ax (or less), 30 for a straight knife, 60 for a hook knife.
You can carve spoons, bowls, cups, etc using very simple tools. Its a huge hobby world wide. It uses fresh "green" or wet wood. No kiln dried wood needed. My tools all fit into a backpack and I take them hiking or camping.
Its very relaxing and a very social activity.
Gardening Love that, Maple syrup (we boil ours in hotel steam pans over a fire), fishing, running (someone mentioned the brooks ghost those are my go to's.)

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:57 am

Home gym.

Company provides $800 a year in wellness spending.

It's taxed, so not completely free, but a heck of a discount.

After a couple years, you can fund quite a set up, if you want.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:04 am

Video games is it, hands-down, for me.

Gardening is another one. I grow rare plants from seeds - so there is a little cost to acquiring the seeds, but after that not much more.

The Bogleheads is free and a hobby for me. I come here when I'm a little bored or have time to spare while waiting for something to finish.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:10 am

JacobTeach wrote:

Spinning reel + rod (total cost 70), maybe add hooks etc. for another 30. I have easily spent over 500 hrs on same combo over past three years, so pretty frugal I would say.
It can get expensive, as I discovered more costly rods + casting reels, I am worried its becoming an obsession.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:14 am

cellisto wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:19 am
Cello.

Other than cost ($6k) and strings ($100 a year) then nothing else. 15+ years at it now.
Wonderful!
Love cello concertos by Mahler, Janos Stalker, YoYo Ma.

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Independent George

Post by Independent George » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:15 am

JacobTeach wrote:

Pets are not cheap by any measure, but for all the costs, my dog has given me far more value than I can count. I'm also in better shape than I would be otherwise - you know how people get excited for crossing 10,000 steps? That's an average day for me in the winter; I routinely log over 20k in the summer.

Video games take the cake if you're a PC gamer who happily waits 3+ years for a good Steam sale. I've over 2,000 hours on Civ 5, and am waiting until I can buy Civ 6 (with all the expansions) for under $30. Which will probably be around when Civ 7 comes out, but I'm patient and perfectly happy to waste my time with 5.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:19 am

cellisto wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:19 am
Cello.
Yes - music related things can be wonderful. I wish that I had learned to play an instrument when I was young :(

I cannot cite a credible reference, but it seems to me that many kinds of music can be done well into folks' elder years -- and that such folks tend to live longer and have a higher quality of life as well. I think, again anecdotally, playing a musical instrument keeps a person's brain from cognitive decline. I knew an elderly woman who played the piano -- and gave music lessons -- into her nineties. Until her death, her mind was fully functional!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:21 am

Pets are not cheap by any measure, but for all the costs, my dog has given me far more value than I can count. I'm also in better shape than I would be otherwise - you know how people get excited for crossing 10,000 steps? That's an average day for me in the winter; I routinely log over 20k in the summer.
No, not anymore!! As I recall, though, pets used to be low cost!

Several generations ago, however, I don't think anyone would have spent large amounts on their dogs and cats.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:22 am

Actionably. . .these are good things to try if you haven't already.

Corresponding globally with vintage fountain pens and ink, or vintage typewriter.
Thoughtful and deliberate prose VS email, text, and emoticons.
Which segues into DW and I's photography because I nearly always include those in letters.

Health optimization, nutrition, fitness, home gym, rehab, etc. DW and I work well on this. Not inexpensive but huge payback.

Music: costs are only time and occasional string changes. Piano costs nothing once gotten. (electric piano)

Thinking: costs nothing and delays cognitive decline. Although can lead to expensive thoughts. :shock:

Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:22 am
Corresponding globally with vintage fountain pens and ink, or vintage typewriter.
Which segues into DW and I's photography because I nearly always include those in letters.
Health optimization, nutrition, fitness, home gym, rehab, etc. DW and I work well on this. Not inexpensive but huge payback.
Music: costs are only time and occasional string changes. Piano costs nothing once gotten.
Thinking: costs nothing and delays cognitive decline. Although can lead to expensive thoughts. :shock:
I believe you need to have a piano tuned regularly, though.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:26 am

Independent George wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:15 am
Video games take the cake if you're a PC gamer who happily waits 3+ years for a good Steam sale. I've over 2,000 hours on Civ 5, and am waiting until I can buy Civ 6 (with all the expansions) for under $30. Which will probably be around when Civ 7 comes out, but I'm patient and perfectly happy to waste my time with 5.
I've been playing Civ/Railroad Tycoon since somewhere around 1993 and I've probably spent a total of $100 on the software. My electricity cost has to have been much higher than the software cost!

22twain

Post by 22twain » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:27 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:14 am
Love cello concertos by Mahler, Janos Stalker.

Mahler wrote a cello concerto? :shock:

I used to spend enough on CDs that I couldn't call it a frugal hobby. Nowadays a lot of what I buy is used CDs from used-book/CD/DVD stores, "cutouts" from Berkshire Record Outlet, and the occasional mega-box-set at $2 per disc or less.
Last edited by 22twain on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:28 am

Netflix is underrated I think when you consider what you get. Hours and hours of entertainment for ~$11-12/mo.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:29 am

dm200 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:22 am
Music: costs are only time and occasional string changes. Piano costs nothing once gotten.
I believe you need to have a piano tuned regularly, though.
Yamaha Electric grand piano. I think it's always in tune. But, I'm part tone deaf and hard of hearing so there's wiggle room :oops:
Had regular wooden piano's before. They seem to need tuning often if not a good one.

fun stuff
j :D

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:29 am

22twain wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:27 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:14 am
Love cello concertos by Mahler, Janos Stalker.

Mahler wrote a cello concerto? :shock:
Oops. :oops:
Cognitive decline. . . . .

Independent George

Post by Independent George » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:34 am

greg24 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:26 am
I've been playing Civ/Railroad Tycoon since somewhere around 1993 and I've probably spent a total of $100 on the software. My electricity cost has to have been much higher than the software cost!
The problem is hardware - Civ 5 is pretty resource intensive, and I suspect 6 will push the limits of my 12 year-old PC (though I suppose amortizing the cost over that many years also counts as high value-per-hour). I hope to stretch it out for another 3-5 years while I spec out its replacement. I bought off-the-shelf last time, but I plan on building my next machine; I count the time spent researching a build towards the hours of enjoyment.

hfj

Post by hfj » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:47 am

Pick-up soccer. I know of games every day in the area, but I typically play 2-3x per week. New turf fields have made this consistently year around. Recurring costs are basically a new pair of cleats every 1.5 years.

Piano, for 20+ years now. I habitually find myself playing 20-30 minutes a day at least, partly working on something and partly meditative. We moved into a house large enough to support a nice grand about 12 years ago, so that was a splurge that doubles as a nice piece of furniture.