Houston for a day, July, with 15 year old daughter

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
psteinx

Houston for a day, July, with 15 year old daughter

Post by psteinx » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:17 pm

Assuming my 15 yo daughter and I had a nearly full day to spend (a Saturday) in Houston in July (i.e. hot), what might be some good things to do?

We would likely be staying in the vicinity of Rice/Med Center (so, close to downtown I think).

On a similar trip a few years back, I did the zoo with her older sister, but it was quite hot, and cold drinks were surprisingly difficult to come by (restraining my urge to rant...)

She's a bright kid - could be something cultural, museum, teen-oriented attraction, or whatever.

Might also be interested in a memorable, Texas-y restaurant suggestion for dinner, again, close to Rice.

dm200

Re: Houston for a day, July, with 15 year old daughter

Post by dm200 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:22 pm

psteinx wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:17 pm
Assuming my 15 yo daughter and I had a nearly full day to spend (a Saturday) in Houston in July (i.e. hot), what might be some good things to do?
We would likely be staying in the vicinity of Rice/Med Center (so, close to downtown I think).
On a similar trip a few years back, I did the zoo with her older sister, but it was quite hot, and cold drinks were surprisingly difficult to come by (restraining my urge to rant...)
She's a bright kid - could be something cultural, museum, teen-oriented attraction, or whatever.
Years ago, with my wife and young son -- we enjoyed visiting the Spaceflight center (or whatever it is called now). They have a display of the Apollo Moon rocket.

is he located there in Houston - or will she be visiting the area as well?

Topic Author
psteinx

Post by psteinx » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:23 pm

Not visiting anybody. Dropping her off on Sunday (at Rice) for an academic program. Would probably fly in Saturday morning, if we had something interesting to do.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:25 pm

psteinx wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:23 pm
Not visiting anybody. Dropping her off on Sunday (at Rice) for an academic program. Would probably fly in Saturday morning, if we had something interesting to do.
Perhaps, at 15, she might be able to have some ideas as well.

Topic Author
psteinx

Post by psteinx » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:27 pm

The Saturday in question is July 4, fwiw, which might be rather relevant. Neither of us are huge fireworks fans, but still... Perhaps there's an interesting festival or the like going on?

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:43 pm

There is always (at least for the last 15 years) a large fireworks show on the west side of downtown on the grass/park between Allen Parkway and Memorial Drive. Parking can be a bit tight around there and the crush of people and mosquitoes can be a bit much.

The past few years the event has been televised and includes a few musical acts. All free (except for the food and drink), as I recall.

Houston isn’t a tourist Mecca, but there are a few museums in the area. The Menil is worth an hour or so if you are into art. I think it is near, or in, the Museum District, which you could google to see if anything listed intrigues you.

There is also the art car museum, but that is a bit specialized.
Last edited by Random Poster on Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldensam

Post by goldensam » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:44 pm

You will be right by the Houston Museum of Natural Science, which I highly recommend. If you make it to the museum, don't miss the Cockrell Butterfly Center.

I highly recommend El Tiempo for fajitas. There are several locations around the city, including a few not too far from the Museum District.
Last edited by goldensam on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allan

Post by Allan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:14 pm

As a long time Houston resident, don't do anything outside in July. You'll sweat your life away :) As suggested visit some of the museums in the Rice U area. And have Mexican food at El Tiempo on Washington Ave.

Allan

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:15 pm

Depending on interests:

1) Art. The Menil and Museum of Fine Arts are both near Rice and both have world-class collections.

2) Science. Museum of Natural Science is near Rice as well. The Johnson Space Center is a bit of a drive.

For dining, you're near a few Houston institutions. Cali Sandwich is a Vietnamese restaurant in Midtown, famous for their banh mi but also their pho. Second is Hugo's, rated of the best restaurants in America by Eater.com and specializing in Oaxacan cuisine. Across the street you'll find Underbelly Preserve. Their "Tour of Houston" tasting menu is one of the best deals in the city. Breakfast Klub is a soul food breakfast place, also in Midtown. None of these will break the bank. I took a huge group of coworkers to Hugo's a few weeks ago and cocktails, appetizers and entrees still only came to about $50 a head.

tigermilk

Post by tigermilk » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:33 pm

If you want to only see things in the vicinity of Rice, it will be the Museum District - Museum of Fine Arts Houston (excellent btw), the modern art museum across the street, the Natural Science museum a few block away, Buffalo Soldiers Museum a mile or so away, ...

If you have a car, the mention Menil Collection is pretty good (I prefer the MFAH collection myself). If she enjoys decorative arts, Bayou Bend is worth the visit in River Oaks/Memorial Park area. The only downside is there is a walk from the entrance to the mansion.

For food near Rice, honestly I can't think of a top notch "Texasy" place near there. Mind you, there are some great restaurants near Rice, but we are so diverse that other foods are in greater supply. But there is no shortage of good Tex Mex within driving distance. Someone mentioned El Tiempo, which is very good, and there are multiple locations (the Richmond and Westheimer locations are both relatively close). Just do a search for best Tex Mex near Rice and you'll find plenty of selections.

beergod

Post by beergod » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:52 pm

https://www.houstoniamag.com
has a list of events to do for upcoming weekends, there will be stuff going on at several different places around Houston. Also remember Houston is a gigantic place, you'll need a car.

If you're going to do something outdoorsy, do it first thing in the morning as it is cooler. Most of us enjoy the A/C throughout the daytime hours. Then you come out again at night right before the Sun sets.

Memorial Park is a nice place to take a walk and go to the Arboretum for some shade. You can visit the Buffalo Bayou Cistern (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Buffa ... 95.3759944) which is underground and therefore away from the sun. The bayou is right there too, there's a park and you can rent B-Cycle rent-a-bikes from the automated kiosks.

There are some food halls in Downtown area. If you want classic Tex Mex then Ninfa's on Navigation. Lots of good Vietnamese food near downtown/midtown. There are a bunch of good restaurants at or near Rice Village as well.

Did I mention you will definitely need a car.

tigermilk

Post by tigermilk » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:05 pm

beergod wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:52 pm
Not necessarily. If they are staying across from Rice in the Med Center and stick to the Museum District and restaurants along the train line, no car. Could even get to Ninfas via MetroRail.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:42 pm

tigermilk wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:05 pm
beergod wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:52 pm
Not necessarily. If they are staying across from Rice in the Med Center and stick to the Museum District and restaurants along the train line, no car. Could even get to Ninfas via MetroRail.
+1 to Ninfa's and the Museum of Fine Arts

BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:41 am

Houston also has the 3rd best China town. Even if you don’t eat a meal there (real Chinese food is nothing like what you get outside of China town in a “Chinese restaurant”) there are lots of dessert places that would be an experience to go to.

There are a number of museums, the galleria (giant high end mall), restaurants. You could meet her on campus and go to Valhalla for a beer (for yourself) and hear about her day.

Topic Author
psteinx

Post by psteinx » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:26 am

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions.

hookemhorns

Post by hookemhorns » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:22 am

If you want to stay within the Rice district, the best bets are the Fine Arts museum and/or the Natural Science museum. It's a short walk between these two which is doable even in July. In the off chance it's not too hot, you could also walk to the nearby Japanese gardens or McGovern gardens. There's an indoor cafe in the McGovern gardens where you could get lunch even if hot.

The space center is also a good idea. That's more of a full day trip but would be almost entirely indoors. I haven't been in a long time, but it used to be a fascinating visit for all ages. I would ask her input either way.

galving

Post by galving » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:27 am

https://365thingsinhouston.com/calendar/

If you're in/around Rice Village area the Museum of Natural Science is quite well done.

Somewhere indoors is probably the best if you're not acclimatized to the heat/humidity of the Summer months.

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:14 pm

psteinx wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:17 pm

Might also be interested in a memorable, Texas-y restaurant suggestion for dinner, again, close to Rice.
Museum of Natural Sciences is in the area and great - then short road trip to the Battle of San Jacinto Monument. Good history of Texas and you can go up the monument.