Protection Against Home Intruders

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Prudence

Protection Against Home Intruders

Post by Prudence »

Yesterday, intruders got inside my neighbor's house (SF detached) and removed his wallet with cash and credit cards etc. It was scary because he was home at the time and heard them (5 a.m.). The intruders may have been contractors who had previously done some work around his house. We don't have any kind of security system for our house. I am concerned about our sliding glass door that goes from the dining room to the back yard. Last year, my other neighbor had a contractor apply a coating to his glass door and he is satisfied with it, but, fortunately, he has had no intruders to test it. It's 3M Safety and Security Window film (link below). Many of the locals have a home security system like ADT. I am wondering if we need this. Let me know if you are familiar with the safety film or have any other advice to share.
https://generalsolar.net/wp-content/upl ... 0748-1.pdf
bloom2708

Re: Protection Against Home Intruders

Post by bloom2708 »

How did the intruders enter the house? Are you saying they broke his sliding patio door or the window?

Did he just stay in bed while they robbed him?

Security cameras, window and door intrusion alarms. My loaded Glock 22 .40 near the nightstand. Many potential deterrents.
batpot

Post by batpot »

Prudence wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:28 pm Yesterday, intruders got inside my neighbor's house (SF detached) and removed his wallet with cash and credit cards etc. It was scary because he was home at the time and heard them (5 a.m.). The intruders may have been contractors who had previously done some work around his house. We don't have any kind of security system for our house. I am concerned about our sliding glass door that goes from the dining room to the back yard. Last year, my other neighbor had a contractor apply a coating to his glass door and he is satisfied with it, but, fortunately, he has had no intruders to test it. It's 3M Safety and Security Window film (link below). Many of the locals have a home security system like ADT. I am wondering if we need this. Let me know if you are familiar with the safety film or have any other advice to share.
https://generalsolar.net/wp-content/upl ... 0748-1.pdf
I think the film is basically the same stuff they use on auto glass.
I'd worry less about them breaking the glass than pushing the door off the tracks/forcing it open.
There is almost always easier ways to break in than by breaking glass.

As for a weapon, I'd choose a 12 gauge over a pistol. buck shot has much less propensity to go through walls.
EHEngineer

Post by EHEngineer »

dog, motion lights, security cameras in plain view, security system.

for security systems you should avoid those high cost monitoring companies (like ADT). SimpliSafe is $15/month, NO CONTRACT, and you can custom select the security components, then buy and install them yourself. I've used it for years. In my area there are multiple local companies that compete with simplisafe in the $10-20/month for monitoring. My neighbors use some of them and like them.

also, consider a dog.

conspicuous cameras, motion lights and dogs will deter criminals, which is better than frustrating them with security glass or battling them with weapons that you must wield while tired and blurry eyed in the night, and can be used against you. of course those options are not mutally exclusive. just my 2c.

we cut an old broomstick and place in the sliding door track as a secondary lock.
simplisafe wrote:SimpliSafe offers two monitoring plans: the Standard plan and Interactive plan. The Standard plan costs $14.99 per month and provides you with basic home security monitoring. The Interactive plan costs $24.99 per month and provides you with monitoring plus unlimited camera recordings.
Last edited by EHEngineer on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Or, you can ... decline to let me, a stranger on the Internet, egg you on to an exercise in time-wasting, and you could say "I'm probably OK and I don't care about it that much." -Nisiprius
anil686

Post by anil686 »

We use to have ADT but that was pricey and then we switched to Simplisafe. That has worked well for us for the past couple of years. You install it yourself - monitoring is about $30 per month. Controlled by tablet/smartphone. They have fobs and keypads that can be added. We found it pretty easy to do - Overall took about 5 hours to get everything set up.

Just switched to ring for fire monitoring and cheaper cost ($10/mo). But I will say the quality of the simplisafe products > ring. But have only used ring a month. Added 3 outdoor cameras (doorbell, driveway and pool). Easy to setup and controlled via smartphone/tablet/keypad. pricier components than simplisafe but cheaper monitoring per month.

Hope that helps...
LSGP_545

Post by LSGP_545 »

Sliding glass doors are notoriously easily to breach. There are three things you can do to make breaching harder:

1. Install self tapping screws towards the top of the sliding door frame - usually three spaced out will work. Install them so the door cannot be lifted up and the lock out of the latch gate. The screws will prevent the door from being lifted up.

2. Place a piece of steel conduit or a wood board/dowel in the base track to prevent the door from sliding open.

3. Have a steel security door installed on the exterior. This will be costly, but anyone breaking in will have to first breach the security door, then breach the glass door. Task time and noise...

The security film is also an option, but best used in conjunction with the above methods. You can buy portable motion alarms as well. Layered security and redundant alarms/cameras/lights is the best approach.
Last edited by LSGP_545 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

On our sliding doors, we have a security bar that drops down and prevents the doors from being pried open or moved enough to get them off the tracks. They are made specifically for sliding patio doors.

Personally I don't think there is a security system that will stop or prevent a determined burglar. We have some security cameras only to perhaps identify them after the fact and we don't keep anything of real value that isn't insured against theft in our home that can't easily be replaced.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

I have an easy to carry safe that's empty, but sits in the master bedroom closet. I want to give thieves a prize to grab and run.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

I believe the best strategy is to make your house the least attractive target in the neighborhood (windows, doors, floodlights, dog, etc.). Couple that with other common sense measures (change your locks when you move in, don't announce vacation plans, don't showcase valuables, etc.)

Of course, if someone has already been in your house (e.g., a contractor) and they know your floor plan and where you keep stuff, then you have an additional problem.
Last edited by DesertDiva on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

One simple step is to prominently post window stickers and yard signs announcing the presence of a security system, on all sides of the property. Burglars will generally choose an un-alarmed property over one where they risk an encounter with an alerted homeowner and where a police response may be expected. An alarm control panel visible in the front door entryway can further reinforce this to visitors who are granted entry at some point for legitimate reasons.

An associated benefit, of course, is that a working system can alert you to an intrusion, giving you time to retreat with your cell phone to a prepared safe room. That might be a walk-in closet in your bedroom, fitted with a reinforced door, good locks, and door frame, and a peephole, where you can await a law enforcement response to the alarm.
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

I mostly use visible deterrents. All of these are inexpensive:

(fake) video cameras mounted high enough they can't be inspected closely.

Sensor lights on the two main approaches to the house. Again, mounted out of reach.

Obscuring film on the garage door windows so you can't see if there are cars inside or not.

Wooden dowels in the window tracks. On the garage side window there are 2 - one in the track and one very visible running diagonally from latch to corner.

Blocks/screws in all windows and sliding doors to prevent them from being lifted out of the tracks.

Secondary locks on all sliding doors which double as child safety locks. Our kids don't need them but we have a pool so want to be safe with visiting kids.

Gates to the back yard are locked.

Lastly, we have interior lights that run on a timer when we're gone.

Edited to add:
I do have some of the 3M window film I've been meaning to install on the glass panels near the front door. That, and possibly a security screen are the next steps. And maybe a dog.

I've read that thieves prefer kicking in doors to breaking windows. A kicked-in door sounds a lot like a car door slamming - a not uncommon occurrence. A broken window sounds like a broken window - people take note of it.

I have reinforced the door jams of all exterior doors. That's another easy project. A security screen would be even better.
Last edited by tyrion on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EHEngineer

Post by EHEngineer »

unclescrooge wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:57 pm I have an easy to carry safe that's empty, but sits in the master bedroom closet. I want to give thieves a prize to grab and run.
love that :idea: perfect place for one of my encrypted backup drives
Last edited by EHEngineer on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Or, you can ... decline to let me, a stranger on the Internet, egg you on to an exercise in time-wasting, and you could say "I'm probably OK and I don't care about it that much." -Nisiprius
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

tyrion wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:31 pm I mostly use visible deterrents. All of these are inexpensive:

Sensor lights on the two main approaches to the house. Again, mounted out of reach.

Obscuring film on the garage door windows so you can't see if there are cars inside or not.

Wooden dowels in the window tracks. On the garage side window there are 2 - one in the track and one very visible running diagonally from latch to corner.

Blocks/screws in all windows and sliding doors to prevent them from being lifted out of the tracks.

Secondary locks on all sliding doors which double as child safety locks. Our kids don't need them but we have a pool so want to be safe with visiting kids.

All great stuff I would add this a fake TV gives the idea you are home watching TV.

https://www.amazon.com/FakeTV-FTV-11-US ... B00BTKGHDE
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

tyrion wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:31 pm I mostly use visible deterrents. All of these are inexpensive:

All great stuff I would add this a fake TV gives the idea you are home watching TV.

https://www.amazon.com/FakeTV-FTV-11-US ... B00BTKGHDE
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Electric perimeter fence (keep out, private property, etc, signage)
Security driveway gate
Security cameras on perimeter of home
Motion activated floodlights on perimeter of home
Secure all points of entry, windows, doors, garage doors, etc.

Guard Cats :twisted:

. . . . . . . Glock. . . . .

Criminals go for easy targets and easy prey.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

In addition to all of the other good suggestions, get a sign that says "Beware of the Dog." Not many criminals want to face a very loud animal with teeth. You might even want to put a big water dish in a place where intruders might want to enter your home.

Firearms are ideal for this situation, but if you get one, get at least some basic training on how to use one. An AR is simple to operate and doesn't have the recoil of a handgun or shotgun.
Sandtrap wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:42 pm Criminals go for easy targets and easy prey.
Bingo. There's little reason for a criminal to target one home with visible deterrents instead of the one next to it with none.
tyrion wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:31 pm (fake) video cameras mounted high enough they can't be inspected closely.
Those can really work. An uncle of mine conspicuously installed some with blinking red lights at the entrance to his property, and it even fooled the local sheriff.
The Sensible Steward
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

I have a friend who tints commercial and residential properties. There is film out there that can easily stop small caliber bullets, and won't get bashed in without a fight. It would be something to sleep through that.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I had neighbors place fake security service signs in the doorway.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

You could also use any of the tricks the kid in Home Alone used! :D

Post by 123 »

We've got a old car in the driveway, our sidewalk is safe and serviceable but has seen better days (cracks), and our landscaping is very innocuous. We could upgrade and replace things without giving it a second thought financially but we intentionally do not. Someone going down the street wouldn't even notice our house. We like it that way.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

A loud, large dog is the single best deterrent out there. I agree with others that the sliding door glass is not worth bothering with unless you also want to add film to all of the other glass as well. Burglars like a quiet entry into the home and will avoid breaking glass if possible.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I hang my firing range targets near the entrances so it's the first thing they see.
whomever

Post by whomever »

"a home security system like ADT"

I absolutely would not get ADT. You want a system that you own, that you can get monitored by someone like alarmrelay.com for $10 a month or whatever. With ADT (and some of the other big names) you pay them $30 or whatever forever. After a few years the extra $20 a month will exceed the cost of paying to install your own system.

Alarm systems are a big topic, so I'll just hit a couple of points:

1)IIUC the window films do work well if properly installed.

2)Do make sure you lock your doors and windows; unlocked places are the most common entry point.

3)You need to think through what the plan is when your alarm alerts you of an intruder. Burglars who are breaking into homes at 0400 (when you reasonably expect people to be home) are a lot more dangerous that the ones who try to find hoses where people aren't home; they know they may encounter residents and are willing to engage in that kind of conflict. Guns are an option, which are a also a big topic. If that doesn't appeal, can you reinforce your bedroom door, i.e. a solid core door etc, to keep them out while the police respond? Does your bedroom allow egress to flee to e.g. a neighbor? In any event, have a plan for when the alarm goes off.

4)Many local police depts. will send an officer out to make security recommendations. It's hard for the rest of us to do that w/o seeing your house. It's worth a call to check.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:32 pm I hang my firing range targets near the entrances so it's the first thing they see.
they could potentially tear up your home looking for your firearms as you've broadcasted their presence. Have seen this occur.
bloom2708 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:39 pm How did the intruders enter the house? Are you saying they broke his sliding patio door or the window?

Did he just stay in bed while they robbed him?

Security cameras, window and door intrusion alarms. My loaded Glock 22 .40 near the nightstand. Many potential deterrents.
Unless your state has a Duty to Retreat. :/
jucor

Post by jucor »

Don't live in a too fancy house in a too fancy neighborhood -- let the thieves go where the loot's better! :wink:

We live in a neighborhood near a much nicer one -- only a couple of blocks away, and our neighborhood sees a lot less burglaries than the fancy one. as a bonus, we pay far lower mortgages and property taxes, but the kids in our street go to the exact same schools as the kids from the fancy one.

Woohoo! :moneybag :greedy

In all seriousness, I think motion sensor lights on all sides of the exterior are pretty effective deterrents -- easier for bad guys to operate under the cover of darkness than under klieg lights!
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

5 Ds of home security
Deter - Signs, lights, landscaping
Deny - High security locks, deadbolts, etc.
Detect - Motion sensors, glass break sensors, cameras, alarm
Delay - Reinforced door jams, window security film, hurricane impact windows
Defend - Last resort when threatened with harm

Other Ds are
Don't make yourself a victim by not implementing the 5 D's
Don't loose awareness of your surroundings
Don't flaunt what you have
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:32 pm I hang my firing range targets near the entrances so it's the first thing they see.
Outstanding!!!!!

OTOH if I were to set up IPSC Steel Plate targets folks in my area might think it was there to have fun shooting from the street. . . :oops:

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

elvisimprsntr wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:33 pm 5 Ds of home security
Deter - Signs, lights, landscaping
Deny - High security locks, deadbolts, etc.
Detect - Motion sensors, glass break sensors, cameras, alarm
Delay - Reinforced door jams, window security film, hurricane impact windows
Defend - Last resort when threatened with harm

Other Ds are
Don't make yourself a victim by not implementing the 5 D's
Don't loose awareness of your surroundings
Don't flaunt what you have
Great list. Video surveillance signs are cheap, fake cameras are cheap. Real cameras from Wyse are pretty cheap too. Motion-activated lights are also easy to retrofit and bring attention to nighttime prowlers

For Deadbolts/Locks, be sure to upgrade the screws on the strike plate. Most come with short screws that only go into the thin door jamb wood, which makes a door really easy to kick in. Put in 4" screws so that it's connected to a wall stud, and it becomes substantially stronger. If you're looking for protection for when you're home, a supplemental lock like this can't be opened from the outside, so no worries about lock picking: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D2K35FW. These kinds of locks can also be located unusually high or low, and are hard to see from the outside, so they also add value if you're worried about someone breaking a window and reaching in to unlock the door.

There are also fake dogs. Basically, a motion sensor that goes through walls, coupled with fake barking. See https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Technolog ... B00BHV6FY6
or https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Technolog ... B002XITC5G
I know someone who has one and, from outside, really thought they had a dog. They sound a little fake if you're listening to it directly, but hearing it through a door, it sounded good enough to fool us.

I've no personal experience w/ glass security film, but have thought about it and did have these 3 videos bookmarked. The first link shows a window standing up to a severe beating, and the 2nd shows a practical demonstration against some bewildered burglars. It sounds like they work, and I'm curious if anyone has first-hand experience with window films?
medico demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maph1a2qFf4
thieves at night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXRmvtfK3-4
3m demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbXRafkGaAU
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

My next door neighbor had a deer stand overlooking my front porch in his front yard for several years. He used it to practice with his bow at a deer target in his yard. I kind of hated to see that stand go :twisted:
Topic Author
Prudence

Post by Prudence »

Great advice! I am leaning towards adding motion lights around the house and fake cameras and the SimpliSafe system you recommended so that an alarm will go off if anyone tries to get in.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

To add to the excellent suggestions so far, get a very loud siren you can activate from your bedroom, kitchen, etc... Loud enough to wake the neighbors. Any burglar will pause when a deafening siren begins blaring.
$1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

Fake cameras do not help when filing a police report or file a claim with your insurance company.

The goal is to make sure there is evidence of a crime. Otherwise, the police and your insurance company will claim you must of left the door open or gave your keys to someone if there is no evidence of forced entry.
NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 »

unclescrooge wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:57 pm I have an easy to carry safe that's empty, but sits in the master bedroom closet. I want to give thieves a prize to grab and run.
I think it's better to stop the lowlifes from getting into the house in the first place.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Just a couple of suggestions: You may want to check with your homeowner's insurance provider to see if they have a discount if you use SimpliSafe and if not, what the discount would be for a centrally monitored system. I found that the insurance discount through my carrier more than pays for the monthly cost for central monitoring.

Also, rather than fake cameras, why not install an actual video surveillance system? If you are handy you can get a wired system for a few hundred dollars and self-install or you can get a couple of wireless cameras. The ability to receive email or text alerts of motion detected by the cameras (along with a still photo of the motion or a link to view video) and having the video footage recorded in the event of break-in or other suspicious activity is well worth the nominal cost of a system. Burglars will often "case" a house by going during the day (or other time when they believe nobody is home) and ringing the doorbell. Having that on video is very helpful to law enforcement. A fake camera may deter some burglars, but nothing substitutes for the real thing.
NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 »

lthenderson wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:53 pm On our sliding doors, we have a security bar that drops down and prevents the doors from being pried open or moved enough to get them off the tracks. They are made specifically for sliding patio doors.

Personally I don't think there is a security system that will stop or prevent a determined burglar. We have some security cameras only to perhaps identify them after the fact and we don't keep anything of real value that isn't insured against theft in our home that can't easily be replaced.
A weak point on sliding doors is the stationary panel that can pried open very easily. There are ways that this can be corrected using angle iron.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We live in the same house in the suburbs for 32 years, never had a break-in. We have lights on outside at the street, in front and in back all night. Sliding glass door has drop-down bar and wood in track. all windows have a nail drilled thru the wood frame. Storm doors are locked from the inside. Our backyard has a 5 ft metal picket fence around the backyard as seen from the street, 4 ft chain link otherwise. These are many deterrents.
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

Move to a new neighborhood and/or petition government to get tougher on crime.
Foredeck

Post by Foredeck »

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this. It sucks.

My family and I live in a medium sized urban area. We have a single family home. Both times that I am aware of that someone tried getting into our house were once during the day, around noon and the other at night.

Both times they tried getting in through the front door.

The first time it happened I was home when someone knocked on the front door. I was home with our 3 month old baby who I just put down for a nap. I looked out the window and saw someone I didn't know, and so I decided not to answer it. The guy knocked again. I didn't answer. He then pulled a long screw driver out of his pants along with a hammer and started hanging it on the door knob.

I called the police. The guy ran away.

We have a dog. A German Shepard mix, who was outside while this was happening. She never barked. Not even once.

Same day I ordered ADT.

Second situation happened recently. They tried getting in the same way. This time we keep our storm door locked. They'd need to break into two doors. Makes it little more difficult and time consuming. We've added another layer of security. Now we have cameras around the property.

ADT has been great to work with. We've had no problems.

You may be able to have someone from your local police department do a security audit on your house. That would give you some ideas on what specific areas you might need to tighten up.

Good luck.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Read of something similar in the next town over. Thief woke up the owner with "where's the cash"

We have almost no cash in the house (sometimes less than $10), wonder if a thief would believe us.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Probably an uncommon opinion

I would buy a gun
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Another option from someone I know was to hang up fake cameras. It works.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

batpot wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:48 pm As for a weapon, I'd choose a 12 gauge over a pistol. buck shot has much less propensity to go through walls.
Same here. Pistols are not very accurate. 12-guage barrel can be intimidating and it isn't hit or miss like a single bullet. On the downside, a spread of 00-buckshot may leave quite a bit of gore to clean up afterword.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:29 am Another option from someone I know was to hang up fake cameras. It works.
Real cameras aren't much more. Checkout these Wyze cameras
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

HoosierJim wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:41 am
abuss368 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:29 am Another option from someone I know was to hang up fake cameras. It works.
Real cameras aren't much more. Checkout these Wyze cameras
Thanks.
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

Ramjet wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:27 am Probably an uncommon opinion

I would buy a gun
I would not buy a firearm unless you train with it periodically. At a minimum I would schedule 4 times a year at the range, and preferably once per month. If you are on the lower end of the training scale you need to have an easier to operate weapon. One such option, that was mentioned, is a shot gun. I would prefer bird over buck shot as there is less likely to be collateral damage with similar damage to the intended target.

Keep in mind, in the situation described, a firearm would not have changed the outcome. In fact, a firearm may encourage theft in some cases. Much like an expensive watch, if seen it may encourage burglary in a situation where the property was scouted.

Please make a decision to purchase a firearm for home defense very deliberately. While it is easy to consider protecting them from young children, they also need to be protected from teenagers who get curious and have more capability of finding, and loading the weapon.

Needless to say cameras are a good first step.
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

In addition to a security system (ADT), strong doors and windows, guard cats, and toys to trip over, I think my next arsenal addition may become my final layer of in-the-home protection: A S&W Governor - it's a mid-size revolver that shoots .410 shot-shells (buckshot or other multiple projectiles); .45 long Colt; and/or .45 ACP.
queso

Post by queso »

Lots of good tips here so far. You can also search as we have had this discussion in the past (alarms, lights, dogs, cameras, etc.). You asked specifically about home intruders though and not a burglary so I assume you are talking about intruders in the home while you and/or other residents are home. That is a completely different animal and most of the standard suggestions for hardening your home against burglary are not applicable in this scenario. Burglars just want stuff, but intruders, well, they might want stuff and they might want other things as well. All these security measures are nice to have to summon LE automatically (alarm) and so LE has evidence to investigate the crime after the fact (cameras), but they will not help you if you are home and have intruders in your house. Someone stated upthread that it is impossible to prevent a determined intruder from entering your home and I wholeheartedly agree with that. Modern homes have too much glass and too many entry points to secure them all against a determined intruder. Best case is you install armored strike plates (Amazon), deadbolts and have an alarm, a dog and motion lights so you have enough warning to prepare. Dogs are invaluable and I'd trade most of the other items for my dogs if I had to choose. They are smart enough that they have figured out that the motion lights coming on means someone/something is out there and they immediately go on alert when an outside light pops on. Assuming you have done everything you can to prepare and they are already inside the only options you have at that point are:

1) call 911 and pray that they find some easy to grab stuff and leave without harming your family (LE response to an alarm in my HCOL suburban area is 12 minutes the last time I timed them. That's a really long prayer..)

2) setup a hardened room in your house where your family can retreat to until LE arrives (note - this can be hard unless your floor plan supports it. You may end up in a scenario where some of the family is split up from other members of the family based on where the intruders enter the home and how quickly you detect them and retreat, etc. It is unlikely you will be able to remain in your hardened room if the intruders get a hold of one of your children or your wife. I sure wouldn't.)

3) defend yourselves

I find that the above 3 work well together and would start with calling 911, commencing prayers (#1) while retreating (#2) and arming ourselves and preparing for #3 if it comes to it. We could debate methods for years and never agree, but like everything else I feel a layered approach is best. I think it was Clint Smith who said "The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight...I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic bomb instead."
Last edited by queso on Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

A decent security alarm with appropriate notice (sign/stickers) will deter just about any potential intruder short of a complete lunatic.

Buy and install a monitored alarm system (must have cell phone backup) and predominately display an alarm yard sign and window stickers. Inexpensive diy systems like Ring and Simplisafe are easy to install, can be had with lots of different sensors, and work very well and have relatively low cost monitoring. Installing various outside motion sensor lighting, and a video doorbell is also a good deterrent.

And always have a plan (thought thru and discussed ahead of time) to defend yourself and family in case the alarm goes off at 4 am and an intruder keeps coming instead of running away. A large can of bear spray in bedside table can work, or an option that takes a lot more time, expense and training to safely use, something like a 17 round S&W 9mm with laser/strobe mount, loaded with +P 124 grain XTP rounds, or even simpler, a short barrelled tactical shot gun loaded with birdshot.
brcarls

Post by brcarls »

batpot wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:48 pm As for a weapon, I'd choose a 12 gauge over a pistol. buck shot has much less propensity to go through walls.
If that is a primary concern, you should use birdshot, not buckshot.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o- ... and-walls/
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

NavyIC3 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:48 am
I think it's better to stop the lowlifes from getting into the house in the first place.
On the contrary, a determined thief will just cause more damage.

Last year, when we were in Vegas with another couple, the other couple had their house burgled. They broke the three windows around the house before they got in.

They knew the local PD was changing shifts and they had about 30 minutes after the alarm went off and before the cops arrived.

They threw the huge safe down the stairs and dragged it across wooden flooring before realizing it was too heavy and fleeing.

Between the broken windows and doors, upstairs flooring, downstairs flooring, stairs, banisters and walls, they caused $28,0000 in damage.

And they took nothing. Even if they had taken the safe, there wasn't even anything if value in it. :oops:

At least my friends got to remodel their house at the insurance company's expense.