Internet and basic tv options?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
RobLyons
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Internet and basic tv options?

Post by RobLyons » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19 am

Searched but couldn't find related thread in first few pages..

In short, Xfinity just hiked our bill about 15% just because (rep says they evaluate charges from time to time and adjust accordingly) and I'm interested in how others have kept these costs down without canceling services? We also have Netflix, Amazon prime, and fire stick which is free.

We pay for basic tv ($10) and internet ($61) from Comcast/Xfinity with taxes, fees, modem rental it was around $95 now it's $108. We rent the modem and due to multiple connection issues I'd prefer to keep renting, otherwise they have blamed the 3rd party equipment in the past and won't continue troubleshooting.. Which leads to a back-and-forth game.

For internet Xfinity is a monopoly in my town. Unsure what my options are for basic tv as we tried apple tv with sking tv which was ok.. We now have fire stick which tends to be very slow to connect and pixelates from time to time.

Canceling internet isn't an option. I need it for work, bills, and enjoying gaming from time to time, kids need it for school. Wife needs for work. Cancelling basic cable MAY be an option but rep indicated it may hike my bill further because I'm getting out of the double play or something

Options?
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 8381
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by JoMoney » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:29 am

If Xfinity is the only provider, sounds like you're kind of stuck for the time being.
5G wireless Internet is expanding quickly and will likely be an option in the not too distant future.

I've kept costs low by not having a TV package (get TV through Internet and over-the-air antennae), and threatening to cancel Xfinity for lower cost DSL service from the phone company after the end of one year initial Xfinity deal. I also own my cable modem.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

HomeStretch
Posts: 3676
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:30 am

To reduce costs, you can:
- if cheaper, drop basic tv and use streaming service + TV antenna for over-the-air channels.
- cancel and have your spouse apply for the service if there’s a new subscriber deal at current provider
- switch to another provider like Direct TV

#2 and #3 usually involve downtime between services, trips to return rented equipment and billable installation call to set up new service that ties up your schedule for a day.

Consider keeping it as is if you don’t want to do any of the above. $108 is a lot better than the price for similar service in my area.

User avatar
fizxman
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:44 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by fizxman » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:55 am

I have Fios and my bill was $105/month for 50/50 Mbps. I talked with Verizon via their online chat option about lowering my bill and what options I have. They offered me Gigabit speeds for about the same price I was paying but that's overkill for my house. I settled on 100/100 Mbps for about $65/month. The tech left my house about 30 minutes ago after he replaced my Optical Network Terminal to allow for faster speeds (normally a $150 fee but it was waived).

As far as TV, we have antennas, Hulu, Prime, and Netflix and never had issues streaming with 50/50 but since it was cheaper to go with 100/100, we upgraded. There are only two people in our house so that helps I suppose.

My suggestion is to contact Xfinity and tell them you want to lower your bill and have them give you options. If your agreement is up, they may have a deal for you if you sign up for another two years. Be sure to ask questions about everything too otherwise they may exclude a cheaper option that would suit your needs. I had to ask for prices for every speed they offer twice, once for a new two-year agreement and a second for Verizon's Mix & Match plans.

runner3081
Posts: 2764
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by runner3081 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:58 am

Is LoCast available in your area? $5 per month donation for local channels. Would allow you to dump the TV charges.

User avatar
mmmodem
Posts: 1924
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by mmmodem » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:14 pm

I apparently have a similar package as OP. For those that don't know the promotional package includes basic cable with internet. It is less expensive than ordering internet by itself? Why? I don't know. Ask Comcast. Anyway, I pay $70 all inclusive but I own my modem. Consider dealing with the issues of owning your own modem to keep costs low. More often than not, speed issues are temporary on Comcast's end and sort themselves out. Otherwise, they are wifi issues which is sorted by buying a wifi router.

My modem is a refurbed model SB whatever Motorola I got for $50 on eBay. Comcast keeps telling me my modem is out of date and I need to upgrade it to get maximum speed. I'm missing out on extra speed. Thing is, I have really fast speed at home and literally don't want faster speeds as I am bumping up against the 1 TB monthly allotment.

The promotional price is locked in for about 2 years as I recall. I just check every month for the next deal when the promotional price ends. Once it took 6 months for the next deal to show up online. I just cancel the basic tv add on until the next promotion starts and add it right back on.

misterjohnny
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:21 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by misterjohnny » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:37 pm

your cost problem is internet, not TV.

First find out who your phone company internet option is (AT&T, Frontier, CenturyLink, Verizon are the largest).

Call Comcast and tell them you want a discount or you will switch to the other option.

As for your modem fee, are you paying for the modem or the router? If it is the router then you can get a third party router cheaply. When internet goes out, plug your PC/laptop directly into the Comcast modem using ethernet cable. Then they can't blame their crummy service on the third party router.

mhalley
Posts: 7877
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by mhalley » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:10 pm

Of course they blame 3rd party equipment for any problems. In general they want that extra 100+ bucks a year. I have found my internet provider troubleshoots internet problems just fine without me paying the junk fee. I had been having problems recently and they came out and replaced the cable going to the house. They didn’t even look at the modem because their software could tell it was fine.
As to reducing the bill, the way to do it is to threaten to cancel and actually do it if they call your bluff. Then you can get the new customer rate a month later.
Trim has a service that will supposedly negotiate the bill for you, no personal experience. You might find something else to save money on.

https://clark.com/technology/tvsatellit ... -internet/

https://www.asktrim.com/

User avatar
Cubicle
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:43 am

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by Cubicle » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:18 pm

How much speed do you need at home? Where are you located? Tmobile has been pitching their home wireless internet service.

Threaten to cancel.

Get prices from any competitors.

Katietsu
Posts: 2925
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by Katietsu » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:52 pm

That is not a bad standard price in an area with no competition in my experience. Does that include any DVRs or cable boxes? What speed internet? How many channels?

One option would be to cancel TV for a month. That makes you an internet only customer. Then you will likely be eligible for a promo rate on the Double Play. I have done this a couple of times to correspond to a time when we were going to be very busy or traveling anyway.

I would address the problem with Roku. There should not be any bouts of pixelation.

User avatar
AerialWombat
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 1:07 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by AerialWombat » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:21 am

Do you have a DSL or fixed wireless option?

In some places, fixed wireless can be an awesome alternative.

Topic Author
RobLyons
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by RobLyons » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:32 am

fizxman wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:55 am
I have Fios and my bill was $105/month for 50/50 Mbps. I talked with Verizon via their online chat option about lowering my bill and what options I have. They offered me Gigabit speeds for about the same price I was paying but that's overkill for my house. I settled on 100/100 Mbps for about $65/month. The tech left my house about 30 minutes ago after he replaced my Optical Network Terminal to allow for faster speeds (normally a $150 fee but it was waived).

As far as TV, we have antennas, Hulu, Prime, and Netflix and never had issues streaming with 50/50 but since it was cheaper to go with 100/100, we upgraded. There are only two people in our house so that helps I suppose.

My suggestion is to contact Xfinity and tell them you want to lower your bill and have them give you options. If your agreement is up, they may have a deal for you if you sign up for another two years. Be sure to ask questions about everything too otherwise they may exclude a cheaper option that would suit your needs. I had to ask for prices for every speed they offer twice, once for a new two-year agreement and a second for Verizon's Mix & Match plans.


Retentions department offered to drop my rate to $94/month. Not bad! Will analyze other options first but this isn't bad
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

elvisimprsntr
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:24 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by elvisimprsntr » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:51 am

RobLyons wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19 am
I dropped Comcast TV service 12 years ago and installed a terrestrial antenna in my attic that serves all TVs. I conservatively estimate I have saved $100/mo*12mo/yr*12yrs=$14.4K. I also use a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun device to stream OTA TV to all devices. https://www.silicondust.com paired with GetChannels app on ATV/iOS devices. https://getchannels.com. I set up IPSec VPN to my home LAN, which allows me to stream OTA TV from the HDHomeRun+GetChannels from anywhere in the world or at the local pub when rain fade knocks out their sat TV service during local sporting events.

Until a few years ago, I had no alternative for Internet, thus called/chat with Comcast once a year to bluff switching in order to get new customer promotional rate. They kept trying to up-sell me to a TV package until I finally figured out how to stop them in their tracks. I would tell them it was against my "beliefs" to have TV service in my home. Once ATT Fiber Internet was available in my neighborhood, I dropped Comcast like a hot potato. That was a good day. Bundled my Cell/Internet and enabled autopay to minimize cost. I also reminded ATT I would not hesitate switching providers if they play the same games as Comcast. They flagged my account with a permanent promotional discount, so they said.
Last edited by elvisimprsntr on Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:42 am, edited 5 times in total.

dukeblue219
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by dukeblue219 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:11 am

More competition would really help, but it sounds like you're not in a Fios service area. Verizon has options as low as $39 plus sales tax (no fees). Buy your own modem online and save the rental fee. The monopolies in small towns are brutal, though.

gd
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 am
Location: MA, USA

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by gd » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:09 am

I similarly have no other internet options (including DSL), but don't use TV. To reduce overall media bill, I switched landline from copper to comcast digital voice (cell service at that time unusable at home and we want landline anyway), bought special digital voice modem (no comparable problems with connection) and recently went with xfinity mobile cell phones. The others just reduce the extortion, but xfinity mobile is a genuine good deal. Less so when they start charging for minimum 1GB next month.

Our modem rental was quite expensive back when they tried *hard* to discourage user-provided modems; you might make sure you know exactly how much that costs, consider taking a chance and revise that position, buying an approved model new.

One of the curious aspects of moving to an exurban town is that city dwellers and suburbanites can't grasp the differences. No matter how often I tell people we have minimal cell coverage at home, no functional lyft/uber, no cabs, one monopoly-priced internet service, it doesn't stick. On the other hand, I have a grocery store (for the moment) and several hardware stores, unlike relatives near big-box heaven whose downtowns have been purged of foundational businesses and now specialize in dog spas and starbucks.

Jags4186
Posts: 4204
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:14 am

If this is feasible for you:

Cancel for a few days then have your spouse sign up as a new customer with new customer pricing.

Sign a contract.

student
Posts: 4501
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by student » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:54 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:14 am
If this is feasible for you:

Cancel for a few days then have your spouse sign up as a new customer with new customer pricing.

Sign a contract.
My experience is Xfinity is playing hard ball these days. However, this is a viable solution.

OpenMinded1
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:27 am

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by OpenMinded1 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:27 am

RobLyons wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19 am
Searched but couldn't find related thread in first few pages..

In short, Xfinity just hiked our bill about 15% just because (rep says they evaluate charges from time to time and adjust accordingly) and I'm interested in how others have kept these costs down without canceling services? We also have Netflix, Amazon prime, and fire stick which is free.

We pay for basic tv ($10) and internet ($61) from Comcast/Xfinity with taxes, fees, modem rental it was around $95 now it's $108. We rent the modem and due to multiple connection issues I'd prefer to keep renting, otherwise they have blamed the 3rd party equipment in the past and won't continue troubleshooting.. Which leads to a back-and-forth game.

For internet Xfinity is a monopoly in my town. Unsure what my options are for basic tv as we tried apple tv with sking tv which was ok.. We now have fire stick which tends to be very slow to connect and pixelates from time to time.

Canceling internet isn't an option. I need it for work, bills, and enjoying gaming from time to time, kids need it for school. Wife needs for work. Cancelling basic cable MAY be an option but rep indicated it may hike my bill further because I'm getting out of the double play or something

Options?
All of this may not apply to you, but from time to time, usually about once a year, I review my bill. If it has gone up substantially, I review the promotions offered by the company I'm using, and other companies in the area. They are often a lot less than what I'm paying. Armed with this I give them a call and point out these promotions. Sometimes they counter that promotions are for new customers, so I in turn counter that I'm a long-time customer and think I deserve at least the deal new customers get, if not a better deal. Sometimes I threaten to cancel.

I've gotten my bill reduced substantially every time I've gone thru this process. The last time, the first person I talked to wouldn't budge, so I told him I probably would cancel and ended the call. I immediately called again to get a different rep. That rep went ahead and reduced my bill by $60 per month.

TheDDC
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:11 am

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by TheDDC » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:36 am

Every year like clockwork I am reminded to do this when I get my bill and the price of Internet resets to "normal rates". Every year in February is my Comcast/Xfinity call to talk down the price. I have fun with it - fake voice, sweet loving disposition, the whole nine. I have to shoo my wife out of the room to keep her from laughing and screwing up my act. The CSR responds in kind by querying their current special offer database, finding nothing, and transferring me to the "customer experience team member" or whatever buzzword they call it at the time. That person is the one who lowers my bill. I say lowers, but really they keep it the same +/- $5. I pay $95/mo. total w/fees and taxes for the Xfinity "Blast Pro" and unlimited phone service package. I've done this for 4 or 5 years now. I could get away with the base level package, but running an IT consulting business from home really requires a bit more speed.

Other ways to lower your bill include buying your own modem. Isn't the rental fee up to something like $14? If you are concerned about how they blame your modem after you complain about whatever ailment exists, the alternative is to rent and have them keep swapping it out, complaining some more, wasting time waiting for 2-4 hour timeframe visits, doing nothing to fix the problem with your line. Which one sounds better? You will need to get nasty about this, speak with supervisors, call the Philly corporate office, etc. They will fix it, but the front line script reading reps are not the ones who care enough to do anything about it. In my case a squirrel chewed through my aerial drop, which they replaced with a "hard line" feed. The cable company is responsible for the entirety of the line from the pole to the demarc on your property, so it was their problem to fix.

Also, get rid of TV. That adds unnecessary fees. I have an HDHomeRun attached to an antenna in my attic. I pay $0, and I can receive local TV on any device (laptop, iPhone, tablet, etc.) via HDHomeRun app. Cable TV is a wasteland of paid TV and advertisements, with 5-10 minutes of actual hacked together programming or reruns. They should be paying you to watch.

Good luck.

-TheDDC
Refreshingly, a double barrel shotgun blast of truth... | Rules to wealth building: 100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to health care industrial complex

TNWoods
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:04 am

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by TNWoods » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:50 am

CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, PBS, CW are all available for free, streaming, from puffer.stanford.edu.

You must be in the United States, and you must use Chrome or Firefox or Edge. Safari doesn't support the streaming protocol they use.

It does become unavailable when there is high demand. (I couldn't connect during the Super Bowl.) I don't know what their cap is.

According to their FAQs, they are conducting research for improving the quality of streaming, and they need traffic for their research.

Also, from their FAQ:

What information do you collect about me?

As you stream video, the Puffer website will automatically collect information from your Web browser, including which video channel was sent to you, the picture quality of that video compared with the original version received by our antenna, the timing and duration of stalls in the playback, the timing of the delivery or loss of individual Internet Protocol datagrams or messages, and the accuracy of predictions the Website makes about the capacity of the Internet connection between you and the Website.

TNWoods

MathWizard
Posts: 3790
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by MathWizard » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:05 am

I'm paying about $87 all in just for internet with modem rental. No other viable options in my area.

We use a TV antenna for regular TV .

The biggest problem I have is data caps. We stream Netflix a lot, so 400GB is not enough. The speed is fine, but the next higher data cap costs $120 probably more with fees.

Lalamimi
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:22 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by Lalamimi » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:27 am

We pay $40 plus tax for just their internet. We replaced their modem/router a few weeks ago, and will recoup cost in 7 months. People in my area suggest going into the Xfinity Store for a better deal, but it did not help us (we asked when we returned their modem, seems we missed one by a few days). DH just put up an antenna (inside) to see if it helps for his TV in his shop. Picked up 127 channels on a non-windy day. Can you bill a portion of your internet bill to your employer?

planetmike
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:00 am

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by planetmike » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:30 am

Cox tracks customers by address. so me cancelling our service then having my wife call to get new service won't work until at least four months have passed. After 4 months, we would be new customers again. Lack of competition sucks. And the mountains around here block most of the over the air signals.

User avatar
rustymutt
Posts: 3812
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by rustymutt » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:42 am

I cannot wait for 5G with tethering. 1 bill for all. Bring it on AT&T. You big chicken. Your late. Nationwide like a true monopoly.
:moneybag
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

rich126
Posts: 1124
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by rich126 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:51 am

You definitely should buy your own cable modem since that will save money in the long run. In many cases you can get one under $100 and make up the rental fee in a year, in other cases it may take two.

Using a Firestick should not result in pixelation. Either your Internet speed is very poor or more likely it involves your wifi modem and its location relative to your firestick.

I switched to streaming this past July and have rarely had a problem even with a couple streams going at once and only having a 40 Mbps connection speed.

Depending on where you live, you can use any uhf/vhf antenna and plug it into your tv and get HD TV signals that are better quality than anything you get via cable/satellite. You don't need a "special HD" antenna, HD uses mostly the VHF band.

Although it isn't cheap, I have found You Tube TV for $50 a month to work great. It has a built in DVR like function where you add a movie/show to your library and it auto records it for you. Even easier than Tivo (which I thought were great). Cheaper options are things like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu (which I didn't care for at all) but those don't provide local channels that something like You Tube TV does.

I've found signing up for a streaming channel (e.g., CBS All Access), watching the shows I want for a few months and then canceling it works well. There are a few channels out there that I don't mind having for a short period of time but after that I've seen what I wanted and move on. Unlike cable contracts streaming usually works month to month unless you prepay a year in advance for some kind of discount, which I don't do.

I'd figure out the modem and wifi issues first. You might need a mesh type system at home and that could improve connectivity.

User avatar
ejvyas
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:09 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by ejvyas » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:52 am

I use Verizon Internet only 100mbps $40/month and Youtube TV (since I get only 2-3 OTA channels with the best of antennas) and amazon prime. I have always done internet only plan with OTA antenna at most other places I used to live.

The only bummer with Youtube TV is that it gets your location and you can only view channels from that location. I travel a lot and miss the local stuff since the browser/app gets the new location

Topic Author
RobLyons
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by RobLyons » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:28 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:29 am
If Xfinity is the only provider, sounds like you're kind of stuck for the time being.
5G wireless Internet is expanding quickly and will likely be an option in the not too distant future.

I've kept costs low by not having a TV package (get TV through Internet and over-the-air antennae), and threatening to cancel Xfinity for lower cost DSL service from the phone company after the end of one year initial Xfinity deal. I also own my cable modem.

I think you're right..
Can't wait..
Cancelling my TV increases my internet cost, so I'm stuck there
Owning own modem sounds like a good option. For others here with xfinity, this website shows you your modem/router and compatible devices:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices

However, most modems cost $150-$250 so break even point is years away and by then who knows what problems will pop up or the need to upgrade.
:annoyed :?
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

Topic Author
RobLyons
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by RobLyons » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:50 pm

misterjohnny wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:37 pm
your cost problem is internet, not TV.

First find out who your phone company internet option is (AT&T, Frontier, CenturyLink, Verizon are the largest).

Call Comcast and tell them you want a discount or you will switch to the other option.

As for your modem fee, are you paying for the modem or the router? If it is the router then you can get a third party router cheaply. When internet goes out, plug your PC/laptop directly into the Comcast modem using ethernet cable. Then they can't blame their crummy service on the third party router.

The only alternatives to comcast internet is much slower DSL. Can't compare.
I'm paying $14/month for combo modem and router. They are willing to reduce back to $11. Buying my own has a break even point of 13 months. So that's an option..
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

Topic Author
RobLyons
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by RobLyons » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:58 pm

rich126 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:51 am
You definitely should buy your own cable modem since that will save money in the long run. In many cases you can get one under $100 and make up the rental fee in a year, in other cases it may take two.

Using a Firestick should not result in pixelation. Either your Internet speed is very poor or more likely it involves your wifi modem and its location relative to your firestick.

I switched to streaming this past July and have rarely had a problem even with a couple streams going at once and only having a 40 Mbps connection speed.

Depending on where you live, you can use any uhf/vhf antenna and plug it into your tv and get HD TV signals that are better quality than anything you get via cable/satellite. You don't need a "special HD" antenna, HD uses mostly the VHF band.

Although it isn't cheap, I have found You Tube TV for $50 a month to work great. It has a built in DVR like function where you add a movie/show to your library and it auto records it for you. Even easier than Tivo (which I thought were great). Cheaper options are things like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu (which I didn't care for at all) but those don't provide local channels that something like You Tube TV does.

I've found signing up for a streaming channel (e.g., CBS All Access), watching the shows I want for a few months and then canceling it works well. There are a few channels out there that I don't mind having for a short period of time but after that I've seen what I wanted and move on. Unlike cable contracts streaming usually works month to month unless you prepay a year in advance for some kind of discount, which I don't do.

I'd figure out the modem and wifi issues first. You might need a mesh type system at home and that could improve connectivity.

A lot of locals complain about internet issues with Xfinity. The pixelation occurs rarely, more often we lose connection briefly which is just as frustrating. Techs have been out many times and have replaced lines, connections, modem/router x 3, etc. Overall it doesn't happen as often as it used..
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

User avatar
anon_investor
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by anon_investor » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:01 pm

RobLyons wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:50 pm
misterjohnny wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:37 pm
your cost problem is internet, not TV.

First find out who your phone company internet option is (AT&T, Frontier, CenturyLink, Verizon are the largest).

Call Comcast and tell them you want a discount or you will switch to the other option.

As for your modem fee, are you paying for the modem or the router? If it is the router then you can get a third party router cheaply. When internet goes out, plug your PC/laptop directly into the Comcast modem using ethernet cable. Then they can't blame their crummy service on the third party router.

The only alternatives to comcast internet is much slower DSL. Can't compare.
I'm paying $14/month for combo modem and router. They are willing to reduce back to $11. Buying my own has a break even point of 13 months. So that's an option..
Not sure what kind of modem you need, but back when I had Xfinity, I was able to find a compatible modem/router combo for sub-$100. If you shop around, that might lower your break even point on the modem.

If you get rid of the TV you may save quite a bit, at least where I am even getting basic tv had a bunch of random up charges (local tv access fee, some random other taxes/fees). I think the local tv access fee cost as much as they were charging for the basic tv package! I got an HDTV antenna, you can find them on amazon for less than $20, and I already have Amazon Prime and ad-supported HULU (free via my Sprint mobile plan).

Topic Author
RobLyons
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by RobLyons » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:13 pm

anon_investor wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:01 pm
RobLyons wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:50 pm
misterjohnny wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:37 pm
your cost problem is internet, not TV.

First find out who your phone company internet option is (AT&T, Frontier, CenturyLink, Verizon are the largest).

Call Comcast and tell them you want a discount or you will switch to the other option.

As for your modem fee, are you paying for the modem or the router? If it is the router then you can get a third party router cheaply. When internet goes out, plug your PC/laptop directly into the Comcast modem using ethernet cable. Then they can't blame their crummy service on the third party router.

The only alternatives to comcast internet is much slower DSL. Can't compare.
I'm paying $14/month for combo modem and router. They are willing to reduce back to $11. Buying my own has a break even point of 13 months. So that's an option..
Not sure what kind of modem you need, but back when I had Xfinity, I was able to find a compatible modem/router combo for sub-$100. If you shop around, that might lower your break even point on the modem.

If you get rid of the TV you may save quite a bit, at least where I am even getting basic tv had a bunch of random up charges (local tv access fee, some random other taxes/fees). I think the local tv access fee cost as much as they were charging for the basic tv package! I got an HDTV antenna, you can find them on amazon for less than $20, and I already have Amazon Prime and ad-supported HULU (free via my Sprint mobile plan).


Most modem/routers are now $150 - $200+
Getting rid of the TV makes my internet more expensive (Goes up from $64.95 to $79)


Ultimately I made my decision today after calling Xfinity 5 times. I was offered my old rate of $94 for tv & internet, and offered 1 year of blast internet (300mbps vs my current 100mbps).

It seemed to me to be the best option in this case, although I do hold out hope for future improvements in technology and competition so we might save more money on internet. Thanks all!!! :happy :D :sharebeer
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

lazydavid
Posts: 2767
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by lazydavid » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:39 am

ejvyas wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:52 am
The only bummer with Youtube TV is that it gets your location and you can only view channels from that location. I travel a lot and miss the local stuff since the browser/app gets the new location
I've only been on YTTV for two months and haven't traveled out of state in that time, so I cannot independently confirm. But my understanding per reading their documentation is that live TV will indeed be tied to the location you are at. But recordings are based on your home region as configured in your profile. As long as that location is confirmed by activity every (90?) days, those recordings will work and will be viewable from anywhere.

Since I do everything I can to avoid watching anything live, if the above is accurate I'm all good.

User avatar
ejvyas
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:09 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by ejvyas » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:19 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:39 am
ejvyas wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:52 am
The only bummer with Youtube TV is that it gets your location and you can only view channels from that location. I travel a lot and miss the local stuff since the browser/app gets the new location
I've only been on YTTV for two months and haven't traveled out of state in that time, so I cannot independently confirm. But my understanding per reading their documentation is that live TV will indeed be tied to the location you are at. But recordings are based on your home region as configured in your profile. As long as that location is confirmed by activity every (90?) days, those recordings will work and will be viewable from anywhere.

Since I do everything I can to avoid watching anything live, if the above is accurate I'm all good.
You are right but you need to set the recording when you are in home area. I had to travel a mix of domestic and international and it was very disappointing that I could not watch any football live. I dont care for the games once I get the final scores.

lazydavid
Posts: 2767
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by lazydavid » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:23 pm

ejvyas wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:19 pm
You are right but you need to set the recording when you are in home area. I had to travel a mix of domestic and international and it was very disappointing that I could not watch any football live. I dont care for the games once I get the final scores.
So don't get the final scores until after you've watched the games. :) Except for the super bowl, I watched zero live football games this season (but probably 70 games total), and I think only one or two got spoiled. You can also set up a recording for "NFL Football", or even for specific favorite teams. You don't have to schedule games individually. One and done.

AF_Engineer
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by AF_Engineer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:43 pm

Another data point with Xfinity/Comcast and using the Amazon Fire Stick: just moved my Mom into an apartment and signed her up for their internet & TV stations, she likes a few channels you can't get any other way. She has 2 TV's (neither is a smart TV), but she has an Amazon Fire Stick for each. I tried downloading the XFinity streaming app with the firestick, so that we wouldn't need the TV box....but had all sorts of problems, could not get it to work well. Went to the Xfinity store to ask about it, and they reps said "Oh, the Amazon Firestick doesn't work very well with Xfinity, we don't have a good relationship with Amazon right now. You'll want to get a Roku instead". So far the Roku seems to work well.

User avatar
hand
Posts: 1386
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by hand » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:28 pm

RobLyons wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19 am

We pay for basic tv ($10) and internet ($61) from Comcast/Xfinity with taxes, fees, modem rental it was around $95 now it's $108. We rent the modem and due to multiple connection issues I'd prefer to keep renting, otherwise they have blamed the 3rd party equipment in the past and won't continue troubleshooting.. Which leads to a back-and-forth game.
I bet you're significantly underestimating the true cost of basic tv once you add in all the related fees.

If modem rental is $14, you appear to be paying ($61+ $14) $75 / month for internet + modem and therefore ($108-$75) $33 / month for basic tv.

If you're happy with Amazon, consider:

1) Buying own modem (payback ~1 yr)
2) Buying Amazon Recast (an over the air TV tuner) (~$150)
3) Buying an appropriate TV antenna for your location and needs (likely < $30)
4) Cancelling Comcast basic TV

For a nominal one-time cost (~$300), this allows you to watch both over the air TV and Amazon content via the single Fire Stick interface and eliminates ~$30 / month of ongoing costs.

Additional ongoing cost reductions may be possible by reducing your internet bandwidth - 50Mbps down is more than sufficient for two concurrent video streams. Most people would be happy with much less. Internet providers *love* to sell unused bandwidth and typically push hard to sign you up for much more bandwidth than needed.

GrowthSeeker
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by GrowthSeeker » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:35 pm

Search for ookla speed test and run this to see what kind of speed you're getting.
Compare that with what speed the cable provider claims you should be getting.

As a generalization buying your own cable modem is better than renting one from the company.
And getting a cable modem which is not also a router often gives better performance than a combo modem/router unit. Of course, then you also need to get your own router.
Pay attention to the specs, particularly about the new modem. Most cable providers have a list of specific models of specific brands which are compatible with their system.
I just did this recently and it didn't take very long at all to get it up and running. I did have to power cycle each new unit a few times and I had to call into the company to get them to activate something so I could use the new equipment. In my case, my company-supplied cable/modem combo was so old, it's specs could not quite handle the speed the company was supposedly providing. As soon as I connected with the new equipment, I was getting the speed I was supposed to get. I also cancelled my home phone and TV; took back the 2 cable TV boxes and the rented modem/router.

Be sure and make a new username and long, strong password for logging into the modem, for logging into the router, and for the wifi.

I have Netflix, Amazon Prime; I might consider one more TV like service; maybe youtube tv; not sure yet. Interested to see what cord cutting TV streaming options are available. Main use for TV would be news. Not much interest in pop culture sit coms
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

Puretaxableindexer
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:50 pm

All of you are posting interesting answers to this topic. I hope one day to drop Comcast TV but keep their internet. Much appreciated.

Katietsu
Posts: 2925
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by Katietsu » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:37 pm

Puretaxableindexer wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:50 pm
All of you are posting interesting answers to this topic. I hope one day to drop Comcast TV but keep their internet. Much appreciated.
I have dropped Comcast TV three times. I have tried Hulu Live and Sling for live TV. But both were more expensive than my current Comcast setup for an inferior experience.

I want access to live TV. I can only receive 1 station over the air and it is fuzzy. So my live TV must come from cable, satellite or streaming.


For a couple years, I have had one or another Comcast DoublePlay packages. However, I do it with NO Comcast equipment and I am streaming it all. I have my own modem and router. I use a Roku for the TV that was purchased on sale for less than $50. I use the Xfinity app to watch on phones and tablets. I am limited to 10 hours of cloud DVR. But with most shows on demand, that is enough for us. Most of the difference between internet only and doubleplay is fees and taxes. I am paying virtually nothing for the TV otherwise.

Internet alone: $78 a month. No chance to negotiate. They know they have no competition.

Add Comcast double play with limited basic, no equipment : Total Bill $93. This gets me about 25 channels. Mostly the broadcast channels.

Add Comcast double play with standard TV. This gets me something like 150 channels including all the main stream cable channels like ESPN, Hallmark, etc. Total Bill $104.

The rate is good for a year or two years. When it is near the end of the term, I have called and cancelled. I have been able to time this to coincide with when I am traveling or busy anyway. Then, after a couple weeks has past, I can “upgrade” back to what I had at the promo rate without even having to negotiate.

I do feel I can tell the difference between streaming and old fashioned cable when it comes to sports. It has improved over the last few years. But if I was watching a lot of hockey, I would not cut the cord.

mancich
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by mancich » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:41 am

YouTube TV. We ditched cable and it was the best decision ever. $50/month, unlimited cloud DVR, no issues with streaming whatsoever. Combine that with a reasonable internet speed and you're all good. Simple and cheap.

GeoffD
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:31 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by GeoffD » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:32 am

There is no proper answer to this without knowing what the original poster watches and what the over-the-air options are where the live.

There is no way I’d use a Comcast-supplied modem. It’s a big rental fee and Comcast pushes their own software to it with minimal QA by Infosys contractors so it’s always buggy.

Buy a Broadcom-based 16x4 cable modem and separate WiFi router. An SMC D3CM1604 is $39.50 on Amazon Prime. A Netgear R6700 AC1750 WiFi router is $73.51 on Prime and most people can click a $10-off offer on the page.

I run a house and a city apartment off that setup with 4K Fire TV sticks. I bought mine half price at $25. That deal pops up frequently around Thanksgiving. I have Comcast video as part of my ski condo fee so I can stream most things. I have a year of Disney+ free from my Verizon Wireless unlimited cell service. Amazon Prime has a lot of content.

Puretaxableindexer
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:06 am

Katietsu wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:37 pm
Puretaxableindexer wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:50 pm
All of you are posting interesting answers to this topic. I hope one day to drop Comcast TV but keep their internet. Much appreciated.
I have dropped Comcast TV three times. I have tried Hulu Live and Sling for live TV. But both were more expensive than my current Comcast setup for an inferior experience.

I want access to live TV. I can only receive 1 station over the air and it is fuzzy. So my live TV must come from cable, satellite or streaming.


For a couple years, I have had one or another Comcast DoublePlay packages. However, I do it with NO Comcast equipment and I am streaming it all. I have my own modem and router. I use a Roku for the TV that was purchased on sale for less than $50. I use the Xfinity app to watch on phones and tablets. I am limited to 10 hours of cloud DVR. But with most shows on demand, that is enough for us. Most of the difference between internet only and doubleplay is fees and taxes. I am paying virtually nothing for the TV otherwise.

Internet alone: $78 a month. No chance to negotiate. They know they have no competition.

Add Comcast double play with limited basic, no equipment : Total Bill $93. This gets me about 25 channels. Mostly the broadcast channels.

Add Comcast double play with standard TV. This gets me something like 150 channels including all the main stream cable channels like ESPN, Hallmark, etc. Total Bill $104.

The rate is good for a year or two years. When it is near the end of the term, I have called and cancelled. I have been able to time this to coincide with when I am traveling or busy anyway. Then, after a couple weeks has past, I can “upgrade” back to what I had at the promo rate without even having to negotiate.

I do feel I can tell the difference between streaming and old fashioned cable when it comes to sports. It has improved over the last few years. But if I was watching a lot of hockey, I would not cut the cord.
Very informative from someone who dropped Comcast 3 times. This gives me second thoughts about dropping Comcast. Thank you very much for your imput.

bighatnohorse
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by bighatnohorse » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:40 am

Two methods:
1) Over the Air (OTA) - we get about 40 stations - only a few worth watching at times. The usual entertainers, NBC Nightly New, etc. etc.
2) Internet - unlimited cell phone data and we stream the free "TV Plus" feature included on our Smart TV.
There are free Amazon Prime movies - and occasionally we will pay a few dollars for a premium movie.

quantAndHold
Posts: 3877
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:16 am

My condolences about living where there’s a monopoly, and double condolences for it being Comcast. When I moved from Comcast monopolyland to a place with competition, my cost dropped in half. I pay $55 all in for 300 Mbps service now. They (AT&T) gave me the modem.

If you’re unwilling to buy a modem, I think you’re stuck with the price you’re paying.

Nyc10036
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Internet and basic tv options?

Post by Nyc10036 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:36 am

I live where the "competition" is Verizon FIOS if you can call it competition.
For TV and internet it is $90+ tax.

I am grandfathered in on Comcast's slowest internet (Economy Plus Internet) which costs me $30 a month.
This lets me stream at 720p on my Roku connected to my TV.
When I am doing that, I am not on the internet elsewhere.
The broadcast TV is another ~$30.
I get both the NYC and Philadelphia channels which comes in handy when one station is broadcasting the Giants and I don't want to watch it. :happy
Total is $61.
I have my own router and my own cable modem.
Comcast has a list of approved cable modems.


.

Post Reply