iPhone and WiFi not working together

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Lemans1

iPhone and WiFi not working together

Post by Lemans1 »

I’m having problems with my iPhone not responding when using home WiFi...Laptop works fine. When I turn off WiFi on the phone it works. Any ideas how to fix? Thanks!!
Silk McCue

Re: iPhone and WiFi not working together

Post by Silk McCue »

I Googled your issue and found this from Apple support.
Get help

If you can't turn on or use Wi-Fi Calling, make sure that your carrier offers Wi-Fi Calling and that your devices have the latest software. Then, follow these steps if you can't turn on Wi-Fi Calling or make a Wi-Fi call. Wait two minutes before you go from one step to the next.

Go to Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling and make sure that Wi-Fi Calling is on.
Restart your iPhone.
Connect to a different Wi-Fi network. Not all Wi-Fi networks work with Wi-Fi Calling.
Turn Wi-Fi Calling off and then on again.
Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset Network Settings.
Cheers
Topic Author
Lemans1

Post by Lemans1 »

Thanks for responding... I should have clarified- the issue occurs when try to access the internet... I don’t use WiFi for phone calls.
student

Post by student »

Have you done the following?

1) reboot
2) forget network so that it does not automatically connect to it, then do connect just like you are using it the first time
3) do you have issues with other networks? If so, time to visit an apple store.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Lemans1 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:16 am Thanks for responding... I should have clarified- the issue occurs when try to access the internet... I don’t use WiFi for phone calls.
In addition to what student said above do the following from the list I shared
Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset Network Settings.
Chees
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

Wife's iPhone 7 was doing that recently (wifi dropping, but every other device in the house working perfectly). Eventually through trial and error we figured out it had some problem with 2.4GHz wifi (5GHz worked fine). If your home router has both, see if one works consistently while the other consistently connects then drops?

If that's the case, and you have separate 2.4/5GHz networks, maybe you can tell the iPhone to forget the one it's having trouble with.

(un?)fortunately our router has the two networks on the same SSID (Google OnHub) so I couldn't figure out a way to force her phone to only connect on the 5GHz network...DW traded it in for an iPhone 8.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Quercus Palustris wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:27 am Wife's iPhone 7 was doing that recently (wifi dropping, but every other device in the house working perfectly). Eventually through trial and error we figured out it had some problem with 2.4GHz wifi (5GHz worked fine). If your home router has both, see if one works consistently while the other consistently connects then drops?

If that's the case, and you have separate 2.4/5GHz networks, maybe you can tell the iPhone to forget the one it's having trouble with.

(un?)fortunately our router has the two networks on the same SSID (Google OnHub) so I couldn't figure out a way to force her phone to only connect on the 5GHz network...DW traded it in for an iPhone 8.
I have exact same problem with one of my iPads. It's extremely slow in one location where all my other devices are super fast. I have to walk it over 20 feet to another location to download my morning newspaper! Very frustrating, but not worth $300 for a new iPad.
bryanm

Post by bryanm »

I've had some similar issues in the past related to "channel width." For whatever reason, if my 2.4GHz wifi is set to 'wide channel' (that is, 40MHz), my iPhone doesn't work. Setting the channel to 20MHz fixes the issue.

You'd need to reference your router's manual to figure out how to change the channel width.
Topic Author
Lemans1

Post by Lemans1 »

Thanks to everyone who responded. I set up a new 2.4 network and it is working well so far.