Retirement: Filling the time?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
OldBallCoach

Re: Retirement: Filling the time?

Post by OldBallCoach »

If you are good with kids go to the local Boys and Girls club and volunteer...I bet someone with your background has a ton that he could share with the right group of young people. Kids will keep you young, and he world needs the help.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

AerialWombat wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:36 pm I am now two full months into my “semi-retirement” experiment.

I’m bored. So, so bored.
Interesting podcast on how we have forgotten the art of reveling in "leisure time".

https://www.whitehorseinn.org/show/virt ... -busyness/

What once used to the the gift to the rich, now is a burden for our "always busy is good" culture. In other words, we have forgotten what a blessing it is to be able to just stop and smell the roses.

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/articl ... _the_roses
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.
Topic Author
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Thank you for all the thoughtful replies in this thread. There is great advice here, and I'm grateful for the collective wisdom of this forum. I have some soul searching to do, as Life 5.0 really starts tomorrow when I take possession of what might finally be my forever home. For the first time in my life, I'll be trying to actually become part of the community, and ya'll have given some great suggestions for accomplishing that.
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

AerialWombat wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 pm Thank you for all the thoughtful replies in this thread. There is great advice here, and I'm grateful for the collective wisdom of this forum. I have some soul searching to do, as Life 5.0 really starts tomorrow when I take possession of what might finally be my forever home. For the first time in my life, I'll be trying to actually become part of the community, and ya'll have given some great suggestions for accomplishing that.
:sharebeer
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:45 am
Mr.BB wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:28 pm I don't understand how anybody can say they're bored?
There is so much to do, learn, participate, experience in life how can you ever say you're bored?
I can list a hundred things to do or learn without even trying that you've probably never done.
Some people are wired differently than others. I am like you in that there are a million things I want to do but don't have the time. On the other hand, my wife doesn't and so she continues to work even though we really don't need the income. I don't understand it because it isn't the way I'm wired but it does exist and I've met others just like her.
I know we are all wired differently, and I guess some people just like their routines, to each their own. That is why I recommended changing what time the OP gets up. You have to change something in your routine if your bored.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

You’re basically alone in the world, and moving to a small community where there isn’t a lot going on. I think I see the problem.

Pretty much, my suggestion is to just pick something and do it. It doesn’t have to be a forever choice, but you get bonus points if it’s an activity that involves other people.

One thing I read years ago said to organize your life as a series of projects. Pick something you want to accomplish that might take, say six weeks. Do it. Then either pick something that follows on to what you just did, or something completely different. Doesn’t matter. Eventually, you’ll narrow down on what you actually want to do.

The martial arts suggestion is actually a great one. Martial arts improves both mind and body, and you gain a strong connection with the other people in your school. Martial arts is something I did before retiring, but once I retired, I started going to class 5x/week, and I finally became a qualified instructor. The combination of martial arts, gym, and eating better didn’t fix my weight and health problems instantly, but over the course of a couple of years, it did fix them. Most of the people in my social circle are also young retirees from the school.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Another reason why renting might be good until you find you.

Retire. Buy a house in a different location. Try to find your swagger. Determine THIS is maybe not THE place.

Now you are stuck with a house and all the fees associated with selling. Plus, being bored and buying a house (or expensive car) is very expensive.

Find your joi de vivre before buying a house.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

AerialWombat wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:49 pm
Raybo wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:42 pm When I retired, I made a list of things I wanted to do assuming time and money were not a limit. The list had a couple dozen things on it. I tried most of the items on the list (it turns out I have no desire to write a novel). Some of them I did for a good long while, like play the saxophone or read Will (and Ariel) Durant's Story of Civilization series. Others, like traveling by bicycle turned out to be my passion and I am still doing that.

Riding a bicycle takes up a lot of time, so while I occasionally have "nothing" to do, it usually isn't for more than a few hours.

It helps to redefine what constitutes "doing something."
Thanks for this, I appreciate it. I’m extremely overweight, so maybe a bicycle should be on my shopping list. :)

Can you tell me more about the *process* you took to arrive at cycling as your “thing”? Like, more of the iterative steps?

Thank you!
One of the things I am doing is cooking more - searching for less caloric but very flavorful dishes.

Thank your lucky stars too. My retirement started out with health issues. They get better but new ones pop up. Takes up lots of time but not enjoyable.

Wishing you well.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Married with spouse. Grown kids.

I’m an exercise freak, and vary routines day to day. But one that I like I will commend to you: hours on a recumbent bike and reading. It’s a twofer.
Topic Author
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

bloom2708 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:29 pm Another reason why renting might be good until you find you.

Retire. Buy a house in a different location. Try to find your swagger. Determine THIS is maybe not THE place.

Now you are stuck with a house and all the fees associated with selling. Plus, being bored and buying a house (or expensive car) is very expensive.

Find your joi de vivre before buying a house.
I'm a real estate investor and routinely buy houses to live in for a while and then convert to rental property. I already own several other rentals in the vicinity. So, this really isn't an issue.
Topic Author
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:34 am Buy a boat, keep it in the nearby marina.

I have definitely considered this. I do miss sailing.

Take the MBTI test online. (16personalities)

I'm an INFP. Been into this kind of stuff my entire life. :)

"Carpe Dime"

LOL
Topic Author
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

cs412a wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:00 pm I discovered at the beginning of my retirement that I had a chronic illness that left me tired and fat. Everything was an effort. I was simultaneously bored and apathetic. Once I discovered what the medical problem was, I was still old and fat, but not as tired. So my main project for the past two years has been to regain my health by eating well (not a calorie restricted diet, but a healthy diet that satisfies my hunger - e.g., less processed food, less sugar, etc.) and following an exercise program. It's been a gradual process but now, without going hungry (I hate being hungry), I've lost about half the weight I want to lose and I'm engaging in vigorous exercise (doing things I like to do) and a strength training program. I love feeling comfortable in my body again.

Right now this "project" is my priority, but I see that changing in another year or so - eating well and exercising will move from the foreground to the background.

Of course, even now that still leaves me with plenty of time to do other things. I do volunteer work. While it is worthwhile, what I really like about it is that I get to interact 4-5 times a month with a group of people I like. So it provides me with some of the "vitamins" of social interaction (as VictoriaF would say).

I'm close to my sisters, most of whom have live about 2-1/2 hours away, so there are family get-togethers to look forward to. Social interaction is important, and if you don't have family nearby (or aren't close to family members) then friends and acquaintances are important.

I have a number of other projects, specific to my interests, that I'm engaged in. The key for me is that whatever I do, it's important to me to experience a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment.

During my working life, when teaching college students no longer provided that experience, I got a paralegal certificate and worked in the legal aid area. So I've learned that what provides the feeling that is important to me can change over time. At the same time, I've always been able to find replacement activities by using the emotional criterion of whether engaging in the activity leaves me feeling the way I want to feel.

Identifying the criteria that are important for you can help you decide what activities you want to engage in. It's okay to experiment, there are lots of possibilities.

Finally, focusing on your health for a while - if you want - might put you in a better place to do the other things you'd like to do.
Congrats on your own weight loss journey and getting healthier!
I hear you on the apathy part. That's where I've been for a while in regards to health.
This is the low hanging fruit, "no brainer" thing that I really should do. Intellectually, I know everything else should be second fiddle.
Thanks for sharing!
Topic Author
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

btenny wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:55 pm Get a medium size or larger dog. Take dog for 1 or 2 long walks all over neighborhood every day. Talk to your new neighbors on these walks. Play fetch with dog at vacant lot or park.

Buy a small 22-25 foot sail boat. Learn to sail it. Maybe take sailing lessons. Take new friends met on dog walks sailing once a week or more. Join local yatch club. Go to yatch club for dinner and or drinks at least once a week. Enter in weekly yatch club beer can races. Take dog on boat along with friends sometimes so he/she likes boat. Play cards at local yatch club. Go to local bowling alley and join a league. Then join a team in league and bowl once a week on firm schedule.

Call those tango dance people and see if they offer dance lessons. Take dance lessons.

Call up local meals on wheels charity and volunteer to deliver once a week. Go drive around and deliver food to home bound people and meet people snd talk to people. Enjoy helping those in need.

Pretty soon you will be really busy and having fun and loosing weight.

Good Luck
Dancing, sailing, and dog are all on my "used to" list. It's a good suggestion to just get back into all that, since I did enjoy it.
Topic Author
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:05 pm Why did you retire? What did you expect to be doing with your time?
Just to be clear, my business still takes about 10 hours a week of my time. I do have occasional things to do. So I'm "semi-retired", not fully retired.

Why did I do this? Because it's what serial entrepreneurs do. :D We start things, then hire good people to do more and more of the things, and automate/delegate our way out of a "job". Then some of us get tired of starting new things all the time. I had (still have) plenty of new business opportunities, but I just don't want to start another business, kinda burned out on that.

I had no expectation of what to suddenly do with all the free time. I just never gave thought to it. Thus, here we are. :)

It's an excellent point, though.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Mr.BB wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:05 pm
AerialWombat wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 pm Thank you for all the thoughtful replies in this thread. There is great advice here, and I'm grateful for the collective wisdom of this forum. I have some soul searching to do, as Life 5.0 really starts tomorrow when I take possession of what might finally be my forever home. For the first time in my life, I'll be trying to actually become part of the community, and ya'll have given some great suggestions for accomplishing that.
Since you mentioned there was a Rotary club in your community, I'd encourage you to check it out. My dad was a member for years, and a friend encouraged me to join back here in 2004. There are a lot of retirees in my club as well as lots of local business people and professionals. We have an informative fun weekly lunch meeting usually with a local speaker. Good way to make new friends, and offer your time to help with community projects. If you're ever travelling, there are clubs all over the world, and you can stop in for their weekly lunch (or sometimes breakfast or after work-time meeting), and will be welcomed.
goaties

Post by goaties »

AerialWombat wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:23 pm
Why did I do this? Because it's what serial entrepreneurs do. :D We start things, then hire good people to do more and more of the things, and automate/delegate our way out of a "job".
Sounds like you have a lot of expertise to share. Most towns of any size have a Small Business Center or SBA or some such organization. Sometimes they are affiliated with the local community college. Or not. I would think you'd be very welcome as a guest speaker or leader of seminars for other would-be entrepreneurs.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

AerialWombat wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:23 pm I had no expectation of what to suddenly do with all the free time. I just never gave thought to it.
Uhm, okay.

Sounds like it's time for some serious introspection...
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
lacseul

Post by lacseul »

Read "How Starbucks saved my life" for inspiration on learning how something very unexpected can brighten your life when you get out there. Good luck.
keystone

Post by keystone »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:45 am Some people are wired differently than others. I am like you in that there are a million things I want to do but don't have the time. On the other hand, my wife doesn't and so she continues to work even though we really don't need the income. I don't understand it because it isn't the way I'm wired but it does exist and I've met others just like her.
Exactly. Some people thrive off the structure of daily work while others have no problem giving it up. I'm in my mid 40's and can't retire soon enough. I know there's zero chance that I'd ever experience boredom or anything the OP is describing. I have tons of things I want to do and also love relaxing. My father is close to 80 and still works full time. I think in part because he's extroverted and likes the social interaction but also because he wouldn't know what to do with all that free time. I think it does come down to different wiring.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

Retired to a horse/hobby farm. Lots to do at my own pace and when we have nasty weather like today, it still feels good to take a “day off.” Would likely do wonders for your general health as well. Yesterday I took the dog and a shovel out to the front of our property and dug a ditch with the shovel to redirect a natural spring overflow away from my gravel driveway. Good manual labor while listening to amazon music on some headphones. I have a variety of projects going on with little to no expense. I’ve never been handy but with the help of YouTube I have been able to do do all kinds of things like build a garden to keep out deer to fix my tractor. I’ll never get bored and will be sad when I can no longer go out in the fields and do things, but that won’t be for a few decades yet!
casualflower

Post by casualflower »

Have you considered that you're not bored, but rather lonely?

As others have mentioned, social connections are super important for humans, even self-described introverts.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

This was my "Daily Stoic" email from yesterday.

Can you be still?

There is probably no piece of literature that the Stoics were more familiar with than the Odyssey. Seneca quotes it. Marcus Aurelius quotes it. Pretty much everyone in the ancient world was so familiar with Homer’s verses that they could be quoted without attribution and people would know what the speaker was referencing.

It makes sense. It’s a beautiful, inspiring poem with all sorts of lessons and images. But here’s one that the Stoics never mentioned, that is easy to miss unless you read all the way to the end. In fact, in some translations it’s cut off or ignored. What does Odysseus do after nearly ten years of war and then ten more years of struggle to make it home? What does he do shortly after arriving home after having been gone so long that his wife’s hair was grey and his old dog was barely alive? After he slaughtered the invaders in his home and secured his kingdom that he was blocked from for so long?

It’s almost unbelievable: Almost immediately after coming home, he gets ready to leave again! As Emily Wilson beautifully translates Odysseus giving the insane news to his long suffering wife:

But now we have returned to our own bed,
As we both longed to do. You must look after
My property inside the house. Meanwhile,
I have to go on raids, to steal replacements
For all the sheep those swaggering suitors killed,
And get the other Greeks to give me more,
until I fill my folds.

Isn’t that the human condition in a nutshell? Isn’t that restlessness exactly what got Odysseus in trouble in the first place? The insatiability and greed that nearly took him and his men to the brink a hundred times? As Blaise Pascal put it, “all of humanity’s problems stem from our inability to sit quietly in a room.” Because we cannot be happy, because we can’t just be, we waste years of our life. We go begging for trouble. We invent problems. We flee, as Seneca once put it, from ourselves. Clearly that’s what Odysseus was doing. No one who actually likes themselves or their lives spends twenty years fighting to get back to it...and then leaves the day after they get there!

We must realize that stillness is the key. Stillness is how you connect to yourself and others. Stillness is where true happiness comes from. Where is all this rushing taking you? Where was Odysseus pointing his ship toward? We are rushing toward death. A life of restlessness is not what we’re after. That’s not where meaning comes from. No one is saying that Odysseus should just lay back and lounge for the rest of his life—but if he can’t take even a few minutes with his family after that long of an absence, something is wrong with him. Turns out the war with Troy was the sideshow—the real battle was in this guy’s head and heart...and it was against the fear of not being in motion constantly. Sadly it’s an affliction shared by a good portion of ambitious, talented people.

There is no greatness that is not at peace, Seneca reminds us. There is no greatness if we cannot be. We must be still.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

AerialWombat wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:36 pm I am now two full months into my “semi-retirement” experiment.

I’m bored. So, so bored.

So bored that I bought a PS4 video game console and another house while crashing in an Airbnb. Settlement on the house is Thursday, and I’ll move in for the next year (or longer?).

I can only drink so much single malt Scotch; play so much Fortnite; walk so much beautiful beach.

I have no spouse, kids, or other family. I’ve been nomadic my entire life, with no real roots anywhere. Burned out on travel, ready to be a homebody. Introverted, my few close friends are spread across the planet. Age 42.

I can’t imagine I am the only person in this boat. Especially for those of you without a family, how do you fill the time?

Bonus commentary: The super tiny community I’m moving to has some interesting oddities. There’s a surprisingly active Argentine tango scene I plan to check out. I’m a Navy veteran and former river/harbor sailor, and the new house is one mile from a Navy base, two marinas, and a sort of maritime academy with some interesting short-courses. I’m buying barely enough land to get, like, a cow...or three dogs. The house is perfect for an Airbnb or short-term housing for said maritime academy. I’ll also be one block from gold panning, clam/oyster digging, and whatever else you do near water. Years ago, I was a private pilot, and I’ll be super close to two aeropuertos. And there is a dinky junior college where I could finally take Spanish classes, or some accounting classes to finally qualify me to take the damn CPA exam, or that EMT class I’ve put off for 20 years...

Bottom line: I have current income that’s 10X my expenses, time to kill, a stack of things I used to do, and endless opportunity.

How have others attacked this clearly first world “problem”?

Edit: I’m frustrated enough that I’m even open to hiring a “life coach” or seeing a therapist or some other woo-woo thing. A friend jokingly suggested joining a cult, and ya’ know... But seriously, I’m open to any such weird suggestions to find a path.
Teach English part time at the local college? Gratifying, you help others, have something to do a few hours several times a week
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

I don't have that problem yet but I look forward to testing it out myself. My thoughts:

Gym every morning (not too early though because might as well sleep in)
Long bike rides/walks
Golf
Yoga
Invest/manage real estate (sort of a job though)

Good luck with it!
countmein

Post by countmein »

wildlife rehabilitation. intense and rewarding (if you like animals).
Godot

Post by Godot »

fru-gal wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:45 pm I haven''t read the zillion replies.

Volunteer. Your world seems to revolve around you. There are many people and animals who need your help.
+1
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

I think I've figured this out, at least as a part time job goes:
A part time job at the gym! There will never be an excuse not to go daily. Couple of hours checking people in/folding towels at reception --> then get your workout in. Potentially free/discounted membership at expensive gym too!

Part time jobs revolving around beer and wine are also appealing, but may not be as good re: following doctors orders.

I can dream....
Buy Low, Sell High
JPH

Post by JPH »

Go ahead an see a therapist for a couple of sessions. Find out if they have anything to offer. You might just gain more insight into what you are craving. Nothing to lose by trying it. Would at least give you something to do. :happy
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
emilyinsf

Post by emilyinsf »

I’m not retired but a SAHM and my youngest started kindergarten this year, so I have some time on my hands. I play tennis a few times a week. It’s not hard to learn as an adult. Your local rec center or community college should have beginning classes. It’s a fun sport and very social. You’ll get exercise and community. I volunteer occasionally and hope to do it more regularly. I also learned to paint with acrylics. I started with YouTube classes and then took one at a rec center. I listen to a lot of audio books while I clean the house and cook.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

It sounds like you have a lot of things you plan on trying. Why not start?

You could also volunteer.

Take a Dale Carnegie course.

Starting an exercise routine or trying a new sport would occupy some time.

There's lots to do.

You just have to get out and do it. Boredom is a good motivator, no?

Good luck,

JT
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

cs412a wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:00 pm I do volunteer work. While it is worthwhile, what I really like about it is that I get to interact 4-5 times a month with a group of people I like. So it provides me with some of the "vitamins" of social interaction (as VictoriaF would say).
I am saying it.

---------------

My suggestion for the OP is to take up stand-up comedy:
1. intellectually stimulating: you have to be a good writer and to psycho-analyze your audience
2. social: you interact with other comics, club owners, and the public
3. entertaining: the life of a traveling comic is like being in a war; it even uses war metaphors; see a book "I Killed" by Ritch Shydner and Mark Schiff
4. male comics are popular with waitresses (female comics aren't); see the referenced book above
5. being overweight is an an occupational requirement.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

renue74 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:30 pm • Researched and planned/booked a through hike for June/July. Tour du Mont Blanc...100 mile hike through France, Italy and Switzerland. Will start training for that in March. (Not a hiker)
Just did this last September - full circuit. It's amazing. One of the best hikes to see glaciers up close. You are going to love this. Don't forget to buy a couple of bottles of Genepi - I loved the liquor. Hopefully you are camping and doing a full circuit rather than staying chalets which requires you to take transportation to do a full circuit.

I am going to Ecuador in a few weeks to hike Avenue of Volcanos in Ecuador.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

Theseus wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:09 pm
renue74 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:30 pm • Researched and planned/booked a through hike for June/July. Tour du Mont Blanc...100 mile hike through France, Italy and Switzerland. Will start training for that in March. (Not a hiker)
Just did this last September - full circuit. It's amazing. One of the best hikes to see glaciers up close. You are going to love this. Don't forget to buy a couple of bottles of Genepi - I loved the liquor. Hopefully you are camping and doing a full circuit rather than staying chalets which requires you to take transportation to do a full circuit.

I booked refuges for 11 days of hiking. I think there is one hotel stay in Courmeyer...but the rest are refuges on the trail.

Really looking forward to this. I guess I'll have to start training in March. :sharebeer
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

renue74 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:30 pm

I booked refuges for 11 days of hiking. I think there is one hotel stay in Courmeyer...but the rest are refuges on the trail.

Really looking forward to this. I guess I'll have to start training in March. :sharebeer
Sounds fun. We were lucky that during the hike not a single day it rained. There were 2-3 nights it rained. But never during the hike.

Are you doing clockwise or anti-clockwise? And starting in Chamonix?
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

consider a life partner (regardless of body type there are people out there).

consider a dog.

consider religious activities (whatever that might mean to you). for example, most houses of worship (of any religion) will have daily and weekly activities and opportunities.

don't look at your free time as a burden that needs to be filled with something; consider looking at it positively as a great gift that few enjoy.

good luck to you! wishing you a happy life!

Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

cashboy wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:31 pm consider a life partner (regardless of body type there are people out there).

consider a dog.

consider religious activities (whatever that might mean to you). for example, most houses of worship (of any religion) will have daily and weekly activities and opportunities.

don't look at your free time as a burden that needs to be filled with something; consider looking at it positively as a great gift that few enjoy.

good luck to you! wishing you a happy life!

Very thoughtful post. Thank you!
squirm

Post by squirm »

I had a friend who retired young only to play video games day and night, that was years ago. He's still lost to this day.

Frankly, a few trips to the head shrink might help sort things out for you. I seriously doubt a bunch of post on an internet board is going to help you.
Good luck though.
redrocker

Post by redrocker »

AerialWombat wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 pm Life 5.0 really starts tomorrow when I take possession of what might finally be my forever home.
I didn't read the whole thread but home ownership could potentially fill a lot of your time, especially if you commit yourself to learning every repair task you possibly can instead of hiring it out. Then there's home improvement, maybe design a Roman bath or build a pergola or some other structure in your yard. Home ownership has provided me with far too many tasks to ever fully stay on top of (historic houses will do that).

I also got dive certified and dive regularly at an aquarium as a volunteer. This could give you some fitness and networking as volunteer divers have been a laid back and interesting bunch in my experience.

Throwing small dinner parties for neighbors has been satisfying too. Just a few ideas.

I just sold the very last video game system I'd been holding onto as a collectible. I just don't have time to play and I don't miss it. Avoiding sedentary activities is key to keeping your health. Lose your health and those medical expenses are gonna make your income/expense ratio shift dramatically.

I'll second what the last guy said.. Consider some therapy. I have found it helpful especially with chronic dissatisfaction. Life is a process.
GiannaLuna

Post by GiannaLuna »

INFJ here, nice to meet you.

Seems that many believe the path to contentment is found in others or in activities.

I believe it lies in the mindset and the soul.

I still have my minor demons, but finding contentment is joyful, I have found....there are many paths, wishing you the best in finding yours.
fourkids

Post by fourkids »

I've read several times recently that:
the single biggest determinant to long-term happiness is having meaningful relationships. connections with people.

It makes sense. You should reach out beyond your introverted comfort zone (I know, I'm one too) and join some groups to search for some like-minded, like-hobbied people. I worry that you don't have any close friends or family nearby. The older I get and watch my elder relatives and friends, I find the happiest people seem to have a good group of friends.
Eyeski

Post by Eyeski »

Volunteer. I work full-time as an optometrist and volunteer as well at a free clinic every other week; I actually prefer it to working my paid gig.

I could think of countless other ways to volunteer and give back if I were retired.

Edited to add that I’m an INTJ, so I get the introversion.
Last edited by Eyeski on Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

goaties wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:33 pm
AerialWombat wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:23 pm
Why did I do this? Because it's what serial entrepreneurs do. :D We start things, then hire good people to do more and more of the things, and automate/delegate our way out of a "job".
Sounds like you have a lot of expertise to share. Most towns of any size have a Small Business Center or SBA or some such organization. Sometimes they are affiliated with the local community college. Or not. I would think you'd be very welcome as a guest speaker or leader of seminars for other would-be entrepreneurs.
+1
Mentors at the SBA helped me tremendously when I was starting my company, and along the way. Advisors there "walked the talk", had been in business and struggled and thrived. Not book but practical working knowledge and experience.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

bloom2708 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:52 pm This was my "Daily Stoic" email from yesterday.
. . . . . .
There is no greatness that is not at peace, Seneca reminds us. There is no greatness if we cannot be. We must be still.
+2
Outstanding!
. . . fellow Stoic reader and Seneca fan.. . .
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Your primary issue is that you’re 42 and retired. Other 42 year olds work and/or are raising families. Not all but the overwhelming majority. The ones not working are usually wealthy from family money and you likely have nothing in common with them.

Settle into a scene with a bunch of hostel staying 20somethings without responsibility or make friends with folks in their 60s who have retired and are common place. Other than that, find a life partner but don’t be surprised if that life partner needs to work. I don’t believe you will be a community of 42 year old retirees you will be able to move into.

Good luck.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

Theseus wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:40 am

Sounds fun. We were lucky that during the hike not a single day it rained. There were 2-3 nights it rained. But never during the hike.

Yes! Starting in Chamonix and doing the traditional counter clockwise route. Here is our route I planned. I'm 45 and not a hiker at all...but I think this is reasonable.

Heard that accommodations in Trient were sparse and just OK...so I booked and airbnb in a nearby village. But the rest of the accommodations seem pretty standard.

Theseus

Post by Theseus »

renue74 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:29 pm
Theseus wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:40 am

Yes! Starting in Chamonix and doing the traditional counter clockwise route. Here is our route I planned. I'm 45 and not a hiker at all...but I think this is reasonable.

Heard that accommodations in Trient were sparse and just OK...so I booked and airbnb in a nearby village. But the rest of the accommodations seem pretty standard.
For some reason the link you posted doesn't come through. I did clockwise with Exodus. Here is link to their trek. Some useful information in there. Especially look at the trip notes document that you will find it on the page.

https://www.exodustravels.com/france-ho ... d#overview

If you don't have any knee issues, you will be fine so long as you train. Enjoy your trek you going to love it !
The Stone Wall

Post by The Stone Wall »

These threads are intriguing to me because so many great ideas are generally put forward. I picked up a book by Ernie Zelinsky "How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free" prior to retirement and found it to provide some insights to 'filling time'. I will second the recommendation of "Younger Next Year" as our health allows us to live to 90+ and not our money. The rest of your life begins today. Walking, hiking, or cycling will certainly fill up a portion of your time.

I disagree with the notion of finding a 'life partner'. Life partners/friends will find us if we work on ourselves. You certainly have achieved a lot in a short period of your life. Playing video games should not be your destiny. You have mentioned Spanish. Download Duolingo today and start doing those lessons every day. You have the time, spend an hour every day. Look for ESL classes in the area and go help. Most international visitors are there searching for English speakers and only need to hear English. Be that resource for them. Have you thought of playing music? Buy a tenor ukulele and start making music. Youtube is filled with lessons. Get "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and start sketching. Find community dance opportunities in the region. I'm thinking Square Dance or Contra Dance as opposed to a partner centered dance. You have the time, drive an hour if necessary. Find the "things to do" section in the local paper and attend every free event available whether it is gardening, hiking, walking, lectures, dance, etc. One of these opportunities will be of an interest to you. I think you may be amazed at the number of introverts hanging out at these events!