What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Onlineid3089
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:47 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Onlineid3089 »

ddurrett896 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:05 pm
Onlineid3089 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:23 pm Guns. Shooting, and to a lesser extent collecting.
Are you in a suppressor friendly state? If so, check out Form 1 suppressors. Rabbit hole warning.
As of a few years ago Iowa is suppressor friendly. Haven't dabbled into suppressors at all yet as it has only been a few years for my state and the whole paying for a tax stamp and year wait has kept me on the sidelines so far. I have been thinking about a Rat Worx Venom or an Innovative Arms integral suppressor for my scorpion but just can't get past that wait.

Does a Form 1 process faster? I can't check on what's needed for equipment to manufacture one from work, but we'd probably be able to get it done with what's already at the farm. I've always sucked at welding but I'm sure my brother would do that for me there's any required. I may have to look into it tonight :sharebeer
Stupendous
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Stupendous »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:26 pm Well, I'm contemplating re-entering a former hobby that I've been out of for a decade. Track days with the car. I'd like to get back on the track in a non-serious way. Have some fun. Not instruct, which saved me money but burned me out. I started in low power, good handling cars, but tend to want to not go the normal Miata route (well, first time around, the Miata didn't exist at first). I will need to buy a car and will stick with a street car, so looking at a BRZ/86/FRS that I'll drive to the track. I know from my first time around that escalating into bigger and bigger tow vehicles and trailers can eclipse the car and driving costs very quickly. Been there, done that. So I guess, figuring small number of events a year, fairly close by (couple hundred miles at the most). Numbers, probably $5k a year plus some hotel costs and tires. Gotta buy the car too.

I'm still considered an instructor in 3 clubs, so won't be relegated into newbie groups. Should be fun and I know how to point by quite well, thank you very much. I use orange fire resistant gloves....
Funny I just went through a similar thing. Got rid of the truck and trailer and other toy. Bought a 2020 tS and started doing HPDEs this year. Love it so far. Would love a C8 though.
finite_difference
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by finite_difference »

Caduceus wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:45 pm It would definitely be buying and restoring antiques. I do everything the archival way, the way museum conservators would approach it, so it gets expensive. One of my ex-boyfriend's partner works at Christie's, and he's joked that I should go work for them instead. My most recent work was cleaning a late 19th century textile. Ordinary soaps are not conservation grade. I had to get special ones, test out the proper concentrations, remove the grime with manual cleaning inch by inch, coupled with HEPA vacuuming. And then the housing for the textile ccost a lot of money too because everything has to be acid and lignin free and so on.

But I only do these with objects that I know museums will definitely want one day, not with the regular "this belonged to my grandmother and therefore is an antique" category of items. Christie's appraised the item, post-restoration, at $8000, and I had acquired it for $3000 and spent another $800 on cleaning and storage. It gets tempting to sell these things sometimes, but I'd rather they go to a museum.
That’s awesome. I would love to see pictures of some of your completed projects.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
User avatar
Phineas J. Whoopee
Posts: 9675
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

Sometimes, I can't do it every day, but sometimes I like to cook boneless duck breast for dinner.

PJW
stoptothink
Posts: 8288
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by stoptothink »

mak1277 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:38 pm
livesoft wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:48 am
hudson wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:25 amThe guy into the video ran into problems...not enough tent....that's what winter backpacking can do to you.
All of what you write is true (except for the 50 lbs part*). But in fairness to the video, the very experienced guy tests and reviews tents and knew exactly what he was getting into. An undertone to the video is that he wanted the tent to fail and show people that it was not suitable as a winter tent. He did a superb job of conveying that. :)

Down parkas, pants, and bags/quilts are definitely not old school at all, but have improved a little bit over the years. What has changed is probably knowledge of how to use them. For instance, I have two quilts rated to 10 deg F and 40 deg F that I use for different expected temps, but I can combine them to have a double quilt weighing 2.5 lbs good to perhaps -20 deg F with a good pad and shelter.

*No amount of pull-ups and other training could get my body to carry 50 lbs on my back. I could portage a canoe for short distances.
I suspect I would hate backpacking if I carried a 50lb pack.
You definitely have to train for it. I do not "backpack" per se, my thing is quick one day summits of prominent peaks. We'll camp at the base, but I am doing the ascent in one shot. That being said, carrying enough water and food (plus jacket, cramp-ons, maybe rope...) to do sometimes 15hrs+ in a shot gets heavy really fast. I spend a lot of time rucking or wearing my 45lbs. vest and throwing some more weight in a pack and doing a few hundred floors on the stairclimber.
User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 1496
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by LilyFleur »

Learning to do abstract painting for the first time in my life, with acrylic paints. Supplies are not cheap (paint, tools, various mediums, canvas, wooden panels). I'm taking a pretty intense course which has turned out to be perfect timing for living alone during self isolation. The course was the biggest ticket item, but I stay contented and busy watching the videos, doing the homework assignments, participating on the exclusive Facebook forum (I've made friends, both near me and internationall!). It's also fun shopping for the supplies, getting the best deal and then opening and using them. I just scored an electric sander from Harbor Freight for a super-cheap sale price! (it won't get heavy use). I figured out how to project the class videos onto my big screen TV. It's been really fun and has kept me from feeling lonely.
avecmoi
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:32 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by avecmoi »

Uniballer wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:55 am I don't play this game, but my brother is into serial marriage. He is on his third wife and has two kids with her. Think about how expensive that hobby could get.
We have a winner!
JimMolony
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by JimMolony »

Running marathons..... all around the world.

New to sport, but have done 2 in California. Next up:

Boston - 2021
London - 2022
Tokyo - 2023
NYC - ?
Chicago
Athens, Greece (must do the original).

Mostly travel costs (but they'll add up). Marathon entry fees not bad at $100-200. Spend $500 a year on running shoes, but at least it keeps me active and trim;).
Last edited by JimMolony on Wed May 20, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jello_nailer
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by jello_nailer »

Stupendous wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:51 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:26 pm Well, I'm contemplating re-entering a former hobby that I've been out of for a decade. Track days with the car. I'd like to get back on the track in a non-serious way. Have some fun. Not instruct, which saved me money but burned me out. I started in low power, good handling cars, but tend to want to not go the normal Miata route (well, first time around, the Miata didn't exist at first). I will need to buy a car and will stick with a street car, so looking at a BRZ/86/FRS that I'll drive to the track. I know from my first time around that escalating into bigger and bigger tow vehicles and trailers can eclipse the car and driving costs very quickly. Been there, done that. So I guess, figuring small number of events a year, fairly close by (couple hundred miles at the most). Numbers, probably $5k a year plus some hotel costs and tires. Gotta buy the car too.

I'm still considered an instructor in 3 clubs, so won't be relegated into newbie groups. Should be fun and I know how to point by quite well, thank you very much. I use orange fire resistant gloves....
Funny I just went through a similar thing. Got rid of the truck and trailer and other toy. Bought a 2020 tS and started doing HPDEs this year. Love it so far. Would love a C8 though.
This is a slippery slope my friends! I was there 6 years ago. Fast forward, Now with 2 Porsche track cars, race trailer, and a 2,400 sq foot garage with lift for wrenching and storage of wheels, tires, seats, engines... and other cars. You can wear out a set of R6's at $1,600 in one weekend.

Thats why racing or HPDE is defined as - turning money into noise!
stoptothink
Posts: 8288
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by stoptothink »

avecmoi wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:15 pm
Uniballer wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:55 am I don't play this game, but my brother is into serial marriage. He is on his third wife and has two kids with her. Think about how expensive that hobby could get.
We have a winner!
In January we went the wedding of the father of my wife's best friend...it was #6 and I believe her 4th.
User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 2288
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by jabberwockOG »

Most of my hobbies are very low cost because not much gear is needed by choice and design. Shooting was my most expensive hobby to date. In order to attain and maintain desired proficiency I typically shot 600-1000 rounds of 380 and 9 mm per month for several years. Also lots of .22 for fun but cost on .22 is trivial. Ammo and range costs averaged $250/month. Local tactical classes were approx $500-800 2-3 times a year. Many years later now, I go to the range maybe 6 times a year so costs have come way down.
Case59
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Case59 »

I like to travel and I like photography, so my most expensive hobby is: travel photo workshops!
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain
doob
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:15 am

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by doob »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:13 pm Sometimes, I can't do it every day, but sometimes I like to cook boneless duck breast for dinner.

PJW
:sharebeer ah, kindred spirits. Not exactly the same, but I like to cook confit de canard about two times a month depending on when my supplier gets in the duck legs from Quebec. I can get duck legs from Long Island, NY, but the ducks from up north are fattier, presumably because of the colder weather, and therefore yummier. It takes, on average, about 8 hours to cook them and side dishes. And then pair them with a right bank Pomerol or St. Emilion grand cru. Ah! Also, we store the fat and use it to cook other dishes afterwards.

And since I have the floor, our most expensive hobby is traveling, spending on average $25K-$30K per year, but up to $50K in some years. All independent travel, often at the spur of the moment, some even decided after arriving at the airport :shock: We have a target number of countries we want to reach by the time we are 50 and are working toward that. We do not have kids and do not plan to, so our travel budget is whatever we would have spent had we had two kids.
Jack FFR1846
Posts: 12630
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

jello_nailer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:19 pm
Stupendous wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:51 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:26 pm Well, I'm contemplating re-entering a former hobby that I've been out of for a decade. Track days with the car. I'd like to get back on the track in a non-serious way. Have some fun. Not instruct, which saved me money but burned me out. I started in low power, good handling cars, but tend to want to not go the normal Miata route (well, first time around, the Miata didn't exist at first). I will need to buy a car and will stick with a street car, so looking at a BRZ/86/FRS that I'll drive to the track. I know from my first time around that escalating into bigger and bigger tow vehicles and trailers can eclipse the car and driving costs very quickly. Been there, done that. So I guess, figuring small number of events a year, fairly close by (couple hundred miles at the most). Numbers, probably $5k a year plus some hotel costs and tires. Gotta buy the car too.

I'm still considered an instructor in 3 clubs, so won't be relegated into newbie groups. Should be fun and I know how to point by quite well, thank you very much. I use orange fire resistant gloves....
Funny I just went through a similar thing. Got rid of the truck and trailer and other toy. Bought a 2020 tS and started doing HPDEs this year. Love it so far. Would love a C8 though.
This is a slippery slope my friends! I was there 6 years ago. Fast forward, Now with 2 Porsche track cars, race trailer, and a 2,400 sq foot garage with lift for wrenching and storage of wheels, tires, seats, engines... and other cars. You can wear out a set of R6's at $1,600 in one weekend.

Thats why racing or HPDE is defined as - turning money into noise!
I'm very familiar having 25 years of competing and a dozen years instructing. I always ran on a small budget and it can be done. I can tell you that running a prepared C Honda CRX and crawling into the exhaust of a Ferrari who finally pulls out of my way is way fun. I've always liked low power, good handling cars. It makes you drive well. I only plan to go lap for fun. My track record days are in the past.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
User avatar
Phineas J. Whoopee
Posts: 9675
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

stoptothink wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:20 pm
avecmoi wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:15 pm
Uniballer wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:55 am I don't play this game, but my brother is into serial marriage. He is on his third wife and has two kids with her. Think about how expensive that hobby could get.
We have a winner!
In January we went the wedding of the father of my wife's best friend...it was #6 and I believe her 4th.
I'm 'enry the eighth I am.

PJW
User avatar
calvin+hobbes
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by calvin+hobbes »

Footwear (Goodyear welted and stitchdown construction): ~5k worth in my current collection. Have probably owned 40-50 pairs over the last 6-7 years but have settled on 15 or so keeper pairs as I’ve refined my taste. About half of them were used and purchased from other enthusiasts. Shell cordovan leather is amazing and make up the majority.

Since starting our family a couple years ago, the big trips have been put on hold. Expect to budget ~10-15k annually when those start back up.

Still building up my weekend car fund but have my eyes on a GT4 when the time is right. Prices on the prior generation from 2016 are currently in the 80-90k neighborhood. Not a track guy, more canyons and backroads.
User avatar
Phineas J. Whoopee
Posts: 9675
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

doob wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:39 pm
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:13 pm Sometimes, I can't do it every day, but sometimes I like to cook boneless duck breast for dinner.

PJW
:sharebeer ah, kindred spirits. Not exactly the same, but I like to cook confit de canard about two times a month depending on when my supplier gets in the duck legs from Quebec. I can get duck legs from Long Island, NY, but the ducks from up north are fattier, presumably because of the colder weather, and therefore yummier. It takes, on average, about 8 hours to cook them and side dishes. And then pair them with a right bank Pomerol or St. Emilion grand cru. Ah! Also, we store the fat and use it to cook other dishes afterwards.
...
Sometimes a basic understanding of French can be helpful, and sometimes the contrary.

Translated into English, grand cru means "big growth," as in, what do you plan to serve with your confit de canard? "A big growth."

PJW
doob
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:15 am

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by doob »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:59 pm
doob wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:39 pm
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:13 pm Sometimes, I can't do it every day, but sometimes I like to cook boneless duck breast for dinner.

PJW
:sharebeer ah, kindred spirits. Not exactly the same, but I like to cook confit de canard about two times a month depending on when my supplier gets in the duck legs from Quebec. I can get duck legs from Long Island, NY, but the ducks from up north are fattier, presumably because of the colder weather, and therefore yummier. It takes, on average, about 8 hours to cook them and side dishes. And then pair them with a right bank Pomerol or St. Emilion grand cru. Ah! Also, we store the fat and use it to cook other dishes afterwards.
...
Sometimes a basic understanding of French can be helpful, and sometimes the contrary.

Translated into English, grand cru means "big growth," as in, what do you plan to serve with your confit de canard? "A big growth."

PJW
That cracked me up :mrgreen:
Caduceus
Posts: 2745
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Caduceus »

finite_difference wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:58 pm
Caduceus wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:45 pm It would definitely be buying and restoring antiques. I do everything the archival way, the way museum conservators would approach it, so it gets expensive. One of my ex-boyfriend's partner works at Christie's, and he's joked that I should go work for them instead. My most recent work was cleaning a late 19th century textile. Ordinary soaps are not conservation grade. I had to get special ones, test out the proper concentrations, remove the grime with manual cleaning inch by inch, coupled with HEPA vacuuming. And then the housing for the textile ccost a lot of money too because everything has to be acid and lignin free and so on.

But I only do these with objects that I know museums will definitely want one day, not with the regular "this belonged to my grandmother and therefore is an antique" category of items. Christie's appraised the item, post-restoration, at $8000, and I had acquired it for $3000 and spent another $800 on cleaning and storage. It gets tempting to sell these things sometimes, but I'd rather they go to a museum.
That’s awesome. I would love to see pictures of some of your completed projects.
I'm currently working on a 1920s lamp, and trying to remove some spots of active corrosion while preserving the original patina as much as possible. I will list a picture if I end up not selling it to another person. :beer
junejune0605
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 7:52 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by junejune0605 »

jimmyq wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:27 am Flying. I retired last year, and have decided to become a private pilot. I'm attending ground school now, and will start taking flying lessons soon. Not a cheap hobby by any means, but it is great to finally have the time (and funds) to pursue this.
I just got my private pilot license. Best decision ever!

My flying habit is moderate but I'm trying to get my wife to allow me to purchase a plane.
ddurrett896
Posts: 1357
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by ddurrett896 »

Onlineid3089 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:51 pm
ddurrett896 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:05 pm
Onlineid3089 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:23 pm Guns. Shooting, and to a lesser extent collecting.
Are you in a suppressor friendly state? If so, check out Form 1 suppressors. Rabbit hole warning.
As of a few years ago Iowa is suppressor friendly. Haven't dabbled into suppressors at all yet as it has only been a few years for my state and the whole paying for a tax stamp and year wait has kept me on the sidelines so far. I have been thinking about a Rat Worx Venom or an Innovative Arms integral suppressor for my scorpion but just can't get past that wait.

Does a Form 1 process faster? I can't check on what's needed for equipment to manufacture one from work, but we'd probably be able to get it done with what's already at the farm. I've always sucked at welding but I'm sure my brother would do that for me there's any required. I may have to look into it tonight :sharebeer
Form 1 are coming in under a month. I can swallow the tax but not the form 4 wait.
RiotAct
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:21 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by RiotAct »

gouverneur wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:59 pm Travel, wristwatches, whiskey -- in order of expense.
Descending order... right?!?
mak1277
Posts: 1564
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by mak1277 »

stoptothink wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:02 pm
mak1277 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:38 pm
livesoft wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:48 am
hudson wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:25 amThe guy into the video ran into problems...not enough tent....that's what winter backpacking can do to you.
All of what you write is true (except for the 50 lbs part*). But in fairness to the video, the very experienced guy tests and reviews tents and knew exactly what he was getting into. An undertone to the video is that he wanted the tent to fail and show people that it was not suitable as a winter tent. He did a superb job of conveying that. :)

Down parkas, pants, and bags/quilts are definitely not old school at all, but have improved a little bit over the years. What has changed is probably knowledge of how to use them. For instance, I have two quilts rated to 10 deg F and 40 deg F that I use for different expected temps, but I can combine them to have a double quilt weighing 2.5 lbs good to perhaps -20 deg F with a good pad and shelter.

*No amount of pull-ups and other training could get my body to carry 50 lbs on my back. I could portage a canoe for short distances.
I suspect I would hate backpacking if I carried a 50lb pack.
You definitely have to train for it. I do not "backpack" per se, my thing is quick one day summits of prominent peaks. We'll camp at the base, but I am doing the ascent in one shot. That being said, carrying enough water and food (plus jacket, cramp-ons, maybe rope...) to do sometimes 15hrs+ in a shot gets heavy really fast. I spend a lot of time rucking or wearing my 45lbs. vest and throwing some more weight in a pack and doing a few hundred floors on the stairclimber.
I like to backpack, but I don't really enjoy camping all that much. I tolerate it because it allows me to backpack to more fun places. So I tend to walk...all....day. Anything over 30# ends up making me pretty unhappy and wishing I had not brought as much stuff.
User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11737
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Hawaii Inter Island Resort Golf

Post by Sandtrap »

Playing all the different resort golf courses over the Hawaiian Islands.
Resorts can be lavish.
Service and accomodations outstanding.
Course conditions, PGA Tour quality.
Prices: "Kamaina Rates" with resort and green fees, etc, helps a lot.
Lost balls: too many.
Memories: Priceless

Most Hawaii mountain and ocean courses demand shot and distance control, disciplined short game, and keen course management/strategy.

Hapuna Beach Resort
Par 3
180+ yards, all carry!
Pared it . . .once . . . long ago.
Image

Hawaii Resort course conditions, usually.
Image
Turtle Bay Resort: Palmer Course (Senior PGA and various LPGA site)
Image
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
stoptothink
Posts: 8288
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by stoptothink »

mak1277 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:17 am
stoptothink wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:02 pm
mak1277 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:38 pm
livesoft wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:48 am
hudson wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:25 amThe guy into the video ran into problems...not enough tent....that's what winter backpacking can do to you.
All of what you write is true (except for the 50 lbs part*). But in fairness to the video, the very experienced guy tests and reviews tents and knew exactly what he was getting into. An undertone to the video is that he wanted the tent to fail and show people that it was not suitable as a winter tent. He did a superb job of conveying that. :)

Down parkas, pants, and bags/quilts are definitely not old school at all, but have improved a little bit over the years. What has changed is probably knowledge of how to use them. For instance, I have two quilts rated to 10 deg F and 40 deg F that I use for different expected temps, but I can combine them to have a double quilt weighing 2.5 lbs good to perhaps -20 deg F with a good pad and shelter.

*No amount of pull-ups and other training could get my body to carry 50 lbs on my back. I could portage a canoe for short distances.
I suspect I would hate backpacking if I carried a 50lb pack.
You definitely have to train for it. I do not "backpack" per se, my thing is quick one day summits of prominent peaks. We'll camp at the base, but I am doing the ascent in one shot. That being said, carrying enough water and food (plus jacket, cramp-ons, maybe rope...) to do sometimes 15hrs+ in a shot gets heavy really fast. I spend a lot of time rucking or wearing my 45lbs. vest and throwing some more weight in a pack and doing a few hundred floors on the stairclimber.
I like to backpack, but I don't really enjoy camping all that much. I tolerate it because it allows me to backpack to more fun places. So I tend to walk...all....day. Anything over 30# ends up making me pretty unhappy and wishing I had not brought as much stuff.
I'm with you, camping isn't my jam, it is the outdoor activities that it allows me to do. I do not enjoy camping just to camp, unlike my wife who just wants to spend every weekend putting up a tent anywhere she can. I am very minimalist compared to my adventure buddies, but when you are doing 15+ miles in a day, most of it without a trail and no water source, carrying the basics gets heavy. I am usually carrying a pair of 3ltr water bladders. This is one of our recent adventures https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmcBUTUhAA0, these guys did not do the final peak (IMO, the most difficult, by far).
supalong52
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by supalong52 »

Golf -- mostly greens fees, don't care that much about equipment. My clubs are all from 2014 but have a push cart, travel bag, rangefinder and other accessories.

Home gym -- this is a Covid response. Spent over $2k this year on a power rack + barbell + plates + bench and some rack accessories.

Audio -- I'd like to get more into hifi, but have a young child so that might just involve daydreaming for now.

Travel -- we used to travel a lot but took a 9 month extended trip and quashed that bug. In a few years we will want to show our child/children more of the world.
finite_difference
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: Hawaii Inter Island Resort Golf

Post by finite_difference »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:41 am Playing all the different resort golf courses over the Hawaiian Islands.
Resorts can be lavish.
Service and accomodations outstanding.
Course conditions, PGA Tour quality.
Prices: "Kamaina Rates" with resort and green fees, etc, helps a lot.
Lost balls: too many.
Memories: Priceless

Most Hawaii mountain and ocean courses demand shot and distance control, disciplined short game, and keen course management/strategy.

Hapuna Beach Resort
Par 3
180+ yards, all carry!
Pared it . . .once . . . long ago.
Image

Hawaii Resort course conditions, usually.
Image
Turtle Bay Resort: Palmer Course (Senior PGA and various LPGA site)
Image
I didn’t see the “Lost” course appear in your list. Expanded to 3 holes, with spectacular views, its greens are rough and its rough isn’t exactly green.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
User avatar
steve roy
Posts: 1778
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by steve roy »

World traveling. But of course, that is currently off the table, and will be for the foreseeable feature.
jayk238
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by jayk238 »

Travel 20k: We like traveling.
Its about 20k a year internationally. About 2 trips 24 days total.

Skiing 1500: We like skiing.
It hasnt been as expensive as yours. Season pass is 500 and we spent 1000 bw the two of us for all gear.

Golf 2400: huge expense.
Lessons 600: We pay roughly 225 for 8 lessons every 3 mo
Range balls 800: weather permitting i spend 25 dollars a week hitting range balls for about 8 months
Gear 1000: clubs bag balls practice equipment for the two of us

Shows eating out 5800:
We go out fairly frequently and budget 400 a month and about 1000 to go to shows through out the year. If we could do more we would but currently theres not much to offer.

All This is about 11% of my pretax income
User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11737
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Hawaii Inter Island Resort Golf

Post by Sandtrap »

finite_difference wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:14 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:41 am Playing all the different resort golf courses over the Hawaiian Islands.
Resorts can be lavish.
Service and accomodations outstanding.
Course conditions, PGA Tour quality.
Prices: "Kamaina Rates" with resort and green fees, etc, helps a lot.
Lost balls: too many.
Memories: Priceless

Most Hawaii mountain and ocean courses demand shot and distance control, disciplined short game, and keen course management/strategy.

Hapuna Beach Resort
Par 3
180+ yards, all carry!
Pared it . . .once . . . long ago.
Image

Hawaii Resort course conditions, usually.
Image
Turtle Bay Resort: Palmer Course (Senior PGA and various LPGA site)
Image
I didn’t see the “Lost” course appear in your list. Expanded to 3 holes, with spectacular views, its greens are rough and its rough isn’t exactly green.
Yes. That's Kualoa Ranch. About 3-4 miles down the coast from where DW and I used to live for many decades. "Jurassic Park" was also filmed there.
Image
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
EnjoyIt
Posts: 4649
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by EnjoyIt »

rai wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:47 am I collect pinball machines. The price of a pinball machine can be as low as free to as high as $12K (not counting super rare collectible pins which can go for a lot more). I’m concentrated on pins in the $6-7K price range and have 13 of them. Not just the price of the machines which is typically what I can sell them for so the downside is not bad, but I’m contemplating move to Florida where it’s hard to find houses with basements so I’m needing to look for an unusual house with extra rooms either a surplus of bedrooms or a large game room so this is a hidden expense. Not a problem in my current location because most houses have plentiful basement spaces.

...
Cool hobby. My favorite pinball machine is Theater of Magic. I looked at the price to buy and then changed my mind.

Just out of curiosity. Now that you have 13 machines, how often do you play them? How often do they require your maintenance? How expensive is the maintenance?

Attack from Mars is my second favorite pinball machine
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
Dead Man Walking
Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:51 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Dead Man Walking »

I spend $70-$80 a month feeding birds and other wildlife. My hobby makes me feel so guilty that I contribute more to the local food bank.

DMW
ponyboy
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:39 am

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by ponyboy »

Are vacations really considered a hobby?
RobLyons
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by RobLyons »

Lawn care. $1800+ annually easy for DIY. Every year I try to add one or two tools to the mix like a new lawn mower or blade, weed wacker, grinder to sharpen the blade, shovel, dethatcher, leveling rake, sprinkler or hoses, spreader and so on.

Equipment: $300
Loam: $200+
Renting equipment: $200+
Seed: $150 - $300
Fertilizer: $100 - $150
Water bill: $800+
Chemicals: $100+ (even with my minimalist approach, spot spraying trouble spots, this includes grub control and lime)
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
pomomojo
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by pomomojo »

Travel, Food, Photography. In descending order of expenditure. My outlays for the first two have been greatly curtailed this year....
Laker1
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:50 pm
Location: Holland MI

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Laker1 »

As someone that makes his living off the high end classic car market may I say that you to those of you with that hobby...I try and treat each client as fairly and honestly as possible and two other old geezers and myself have a nice retirement hobby/job from this. We only take in 2-3 cars a month to work on and then only jobs that we would enjoy...normal repairs I sent to my other shop and let them deal with them. We dont want to rich at this so we only charge $45 per hour for our labor. Most shops charge way more...but for us...its a hobby that sorta pays ok...
User avatar
Ron Swanson
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:03 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Ron Swanson »

I'd say sailing, but to be honest the sailing part is actually free. It's the maintenance and storage that makes my money disappear!
JediMisty
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:06 am
Location: Central NJ

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by JediMisty »

Scuba diving. Lots of gear. I don't dive locally, so airfare and hotels, too. Though I travel economy and stay is lesser hotels, generally. Completed my 500th lifetime dive on my last trip.
User avatar
Shackleton
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Shackleton »

pezblanco wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:29 pm
Abe wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:20 pm After reading this thread I realize I live in a completely different world than most posters on this thread. Someone posted they paid over $15k each for a 2 bicycles, and some posted paying thousands of dollars for a horse. I bought a bicycle for $25 at a flea market recently. Now granted I don't ride hundreds or thousands of miles on a bicycle, just a few times around the block. But $15k for a bicycle. That's not much less than I paid for my last car. :happy
Where I live, you're not a true mountain biker if your car costs more than your bike.
So true!
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
Cruise
Posts: 975
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: Hawaii Inter Island Resort Golf

Post by Cruise »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:41 am Playing all the different resort golf courses over the Hawaiian Islands.
Resorts can be lavish.
Service and accomodations outstanding.
Course conditions, PGA Tour quality.
Prices: "Kamaina Rates" with resort and green fees, etc, helps a lot.
Lost balls: too many.
Memories: Priceless

Most Hawaii mountain and ocean courses demand shot and distance control, disciplined short game, and keen course management/strategy.

Hapuna Beach Resort
Par 3
180+ yards, all carry!
Pared it . . .once . . . long ago.
Image


That picture of Hapuna looks awfully similiar to Mauna Kea Golf Course's third hole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnrq9qrKVT4
corgilady2011
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 12:15 pm
Location: Texas

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by corgilady2011 »

My most expensive hobby is collecting Hermès handbags (Birkin, Kelly, etc). However, recently, they do not leave my closet at all due to the current conditions. I appreciate the craftsmanship, attention to detail, and feel like they are almost like pieces of artwork. I generally have purchased them in correlation to milestones in my life (1st wedding anniversary, large career & financial achievements) so they have also a great amount of sentimental value.
johnegonpdx
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:07 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by johnegonpdx »

Attending pro basketball games.
User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11737
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Hawaii Inter Island Resort Golf

Post by Sandtrap »

Cruise wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:29 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:41 am Playing all the different resort golf courses over the Hawaiian Islands.
Resorts can be lavish.
Service and accomodations outstanding.
Course conditions, PGA Tour quality.
Prices: "Kamaina Rates" with resort and green fees, etc, helps a lot.
Lost balls: too many.
Memories: Priceless

Most Hawaii mountain and ocean courses demand shot and distance control, disciplined short game, and keen course management/strategy.

Hapuna Beach Resort
Par 3
180+ yards, all carry!
Pared it . . .once . . . long ago.
Image


That picture of Hapuna looks awfully similiar to Mauna Kea Golf Course's third hole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnrq9qrKVT4
You might be right!
Hapuna has a similar hole, all carry across the ocean. The 2 golf courses are down the road from each other. I've played both.
Good eye.
Thanks!
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Cruise
Posts: 975
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: Hawaii Inter Island Resort Golf

Post by Cruise »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:59 pm
Cruise wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:29 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:41 am Playing all the different resort golf courses over the Hawaiian Islands.
Resorts can be lavish.
Service and accomodations outstanding.
Course conditions, PGA Tour quality.
Prices: "Kamaina Rates" with resort and green fees, etc, helps a lot.
Lost balls: too many.
Memories: Priceless

Most Hawaii mountain and ocean courses demand shot and distance control, disciplined short game, and keen course management/strategy.

Hapuna Beach Resort
Par 3
180+ yards, all carry!
Pared it . . .once . . . long ago.
Image


That picture of Hapuna looks awfully similiar to Mauna Kea Golf Course's third hole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnrq9qrKVT4
You might be right!
Hapuna has a similar hole, all carry across the ocean. The 2 golf courses are down the road from each other. I've played both.
Good eye.
Thanks!
j :happy
Agree...both great courses!
User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11737
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Sandtrap »

Resort and Golf in Hawaii, although a tad more affordable if one is a resident or visiting family. (kamaina rates)

Westin Hapuna Beach Resort: Big Island. Hawaii. Accommodations far better than Mauna Kea Resort.
(one of our favorite places thru the years), great golf packages. The seafood buffet is a guaranteed weight gainer. Beach is very private.
Image
Hilton Waikaloa (Big Island)
Incredible sunsets. Seems big and overwhelming at first but it depends on what "pod"/module one is staying at. It can feel quiet and private if in the right areas of the resort.
Image
Waldorf Grand Wailea on Maui
Ambience! A favorite of ours. (Was a lot more affordable before it got bought out)
Image

*My photos were too big to upload so I used some from online.
j
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri May 22, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Cruise
Posts: 975
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Cruise »

If this question was asked before 2/11/20, when we just returned from a fantastic vacation, I would have said "Travel." Over the past 10 years or so, most of our budget has been travel-related: F/J seats on airplanes, luxury cruiselines, and 5-star hotels.

Now, we are at a loss: Can't imagine discretionary travel happening for quite some time. The body isn't cooperating with getting out to the golf course. The gym is closed for now. My hobby of attending college courses and seminars just is not the same via Zoom (and beside that, could not be classified as luxury or expensive).

We are planning on getting a much better TV and internet connection, so that under the current situation, TV viewing will be my most expensive hobby. Yikes: I can't believe I just said that. Ugh!
iamlucky13
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by iamlucky13 »

ponyboy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:52 am Are vacations really considered a hobby?
A vacation does not mean travel. It means time off from your regular activity. Since most of us work, though, vacations are the main opportunity we have for travel, so for many people they are nearly synonymous.

I think it is reasonable to call travel a hobby - it's something done for enjoyment, rather than primarily practical reasons.

It's a hobby I would be interested in, too, but not something I can really afford to do. That's not a big deal though, since I'm not even close to running out of things to do within a day's driving distance. Arguably, driving around the nearby region counts as travel, but I don't really think of it as such.
Topic Author
bo105954027
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:00 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by bo105954027 »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:23 pm Resort and Golf in Hawaii, although a tad more affordable if one is a resident or visiting family. (kamaina rates)

Westin Hapuna Beach Resort: Big Island. Hawaii. Accommodations far better than Mauna Kea Resort.
(one of our favorite places thru the years), great golf packages. The seafood buffet is a guaranteed weight gainer. Beach is very private.
Image
Hilton Waikaloa (Big Island)
Incredible sunsets. Seems big and overwhelming at first but it depends on what "pod"/module one is staying at. It can feel quiet and private if in the right areas of the resort.
Image
Waldorf Grand Wailea on Maui
Ambience! A favorite of ours. (Was a lot more affordable before it got bought out)
Image
Wow, so beautiful. I guess u also have photography gear that also expensive :D
Time in market beats timing the market.
Topic Author
bo105954027
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:00 pm

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by bo105954027 »

Dead Man Walking wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:43 am I spend $70-$80 a month feeding birds and other wildlife. My hobby makes me feel so guilty that I contribute more to the local food bank.

DMW
I’ve considered this especially after pandemic cuts off most HUMAN social activities. However my state restricts feeding wildlife seriously and it’s hard to enjoy it while worrying about police appears...
Time in market beats timing the market.
User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11737
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Sandtrap »

bo105954027 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:04 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:23 pm Resort and Golf in Hawaii, although a tad more affordable if one is a resident or visiting family. (kamaina rates)

Westin Hapuna Beach Resort: Big Island. Hawaii. Accommodations far better than Mauna Kea Resort.
(one of our favorite places thru the years), great golf packages. The seafood buffet is a guaranteed weight gainer. Beach is very private.
Image
Hilton Waikaloa (Big Island)
Incredible sunsets. Seems big and overwhelming at first but it depends on what "pod"/module one is staying at. It can feel quiet and private if in the right areas of the resort.
Image
Waldorf Grand Wailea on Maui
Ambience! A favorite of ours. (Was a lot more affordable before it got bought out)
Image
Wow, so beautiful. I guess u also have photography gear that also expensive :D
These are online shots.
But. . yes. . . DW and I are professional photographers as well.
thanks!
j :happy
This is one I shot on my last trip to the Sheraton Waikaloa.
Resolution is high so the "post image org" site messed it up.
Image
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Post Reply