What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mak1277

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by mak1277 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:17 am

FreemanB wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:06 am
For the family:

Disney. Usually at least two trips a year(Although I'm fully on board for the Food and Wine Festival), usually with a decent amount of add-ons.
Travel: Aside from the Disney trips, we usually also have 2-3 other trips throughout the year, usually at least one being an international trip.

For just me:

Fly fishing. Like others above, my own gear is relatively inexpensive, but the traveling to good places combined with guides adds up fast.
I fortunately am way too stubborn and anti-social to use guides. DIY only for me (and ideally only on water where I never see another angler).

m@ver1ck

Post by m@ver1ck » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:06 am

Awesome thread. Makes me feel better about having spent around a 100K on stereo equipment over the last 10 years.
At this point I’m done with that expense though. Running Naim ND555/Nac552/Nap500. Interested in going active - but that would be better with two Nap250DRs - dont have the space for more black boxes.
Also books and music - probably 2K a year but that’s negligible in the grand scheme of things. And mountain biking - it was 4K for the bike - and another few hundred for servicing the bike. Trip to mountain bike parks are a Couple grand a year.
The cardiologist told me that all my hobbies should have a physical component ...
And photo gear - not photography. :-)
And family vacations

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:29 am

Dabbling in R/E investments and residential income properties.

Not sure if this is an "expensive hobby". . . but I have fun with it while DW is spending $$$ on those horses. . . :shock:

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:49 am

Travel by far....... we have been cruising, three to five times a year and as the market has continued it's path we have moved to longer trips and larger cabins.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:54 am

midareff wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:49 am
Travel by far....... we have been cruising, three to five times a year and as the market has continued it's path we have moved to longer trips and larger cabins.
Oustanding, Marty!
DW and I talked about testing the waters a bit just last night. We have never been on a cruise.

jim :happy

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:07 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:54 am
midareff wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:49 am
Oustanding, Marty!
DW and I talked about testing the waters a bit just last night. We have never been on a cruise.

You will love it......... we spent June on the rivers of Europe this year, some of it a repeat from 2015 and some new, then Xmas and New Years on a 32 day trip around South America. Last Xmas and New Year we were up the Amazon to Manaus. This coming December we will be on our 20th trip since mid 2015. Three weeks in the Mediterranean scheduled for May...... Be sure to get a Veranda and bring the long glass.

Third Son

Post by Third Son » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 am

Photography and the necessary travel that goes with it :-)

Antique hand tools. I build furniture.
"A part of all you earn is yours to keep" | | -The Richest Man in Babylon

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:25 am

Men's league ice hockey, although kids are getting old enough to enjoy skiing, so that will easily eclipse hockey costs very soon.

League sign up fees are about $1200 total for the year. Sticks and equipment maintenance maybe another $300/year.

spitty

Post by spitty » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:54 am

And photo gear - not photography. :-)
Now that's funny!

Mine aren't too bad comparatively, but this thread could be a bad influence.
1-I ride three Di2 road bikes and thinking about another since the newest is a 2013. If it's a hobby we can spend more on it, lol.
2-Luxury travel once per year. Last year was Spain, this Oct is France. We have plane tickets but the rest is a blank canvas. Planning is part of the fun.
3-Was a gun nut several years ago and bought a few nice ones. Favorites are Ed Brown + Wilson Combat in .45 cal. We have a range at home but don't shoot much anymore--it's a nice maintenance area though!
4-Reformed car nut for 2 years..it's one day at a time, like AA. I drive an "appliance" now and it's OK.
5-DW has 2 nice guitars and a new Harley.

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:56 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:54 am
Oustanding, Marty!

I love cruises, but as with everything, you get what you pay for. I would steer clear of the "party" cruises. After my wife's first cruise on a Carnival ship, she wouldn't go again for around 15 years. Then she tried a different cruise line(Disney in our case) and loved it. We've now done probably 6+ cruises in the last 7 years, including Alaska and a Mediterranean cruise, and now she's eyeing a Northern Europe one.

William104

Post by William104 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:59 pm

Ours are outdoor activities and travel. Biking being one of the more expensive items with multiple bikes myself (5k MTB, 2k road, 2k wife bike, etc). Often times traveling for fun bike races and camping with our towable camper which was another larger expense. We normally do 2 quick trips without kids each year, 2 week long trips with kids somewhere, and around 4-6 camping trips in the camper with the family to fun places around where we live. We also ski so everyone has season passes and newer gear for our family of 4.

njdealguy

Post by njdealguy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:29 pm

Boglehobby wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:03 pm
my Most expensive hobby is having fun investing -> mutual funds/bonds/stock etc it costed me over 2 million thus far and still going strong! Boglehobby
Does this mean you have invested and LOST 2 million which I think "costed me" would imply?

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:25 pm

Same as the OP, skiing and traveling for a family of 3.
I try to keep costs down using points/miles, or buying tickets very early at a deep discount, and that saves a lot o money but still these 2 add up easily to 20k$ a year.
Skiing:
1. About 5-6 weekends, 1 night each, most times pay 150$ and more (very hard to use points) for lodging, 100-150$ on food (small kid, needs lunch, but there is room to save here), 500 miles drive in a sedan.
2. Longer term cost: our equipment lasts 10 years or so and is always bought at the end of the season (say 1000$ pp every 10 years), kid gets equipment for ~100$ a year by giving back the old one. Chains, every couple of seasons.
3. Passes: Last year 550$ each.
4. Occasional flight to Utah (at most once a season) because the pass works there too: about free, using miles.

Total ~5k/year

Travelling:
1. 3 weeks every summer in Europe (usually a combination of Western and Eastern Europe). Last several years I used points or I get cheap tickets almost 1 year in advance (800$/pp). .
2. About 10 days in the winter in Central America or Hawaii (flight 6-8h) in the winter. Sometimes another 10 or so at Thanksgiving which is a much better season.

I don't mind basic economy for flying. We use points at least half of the time. We don't care about luxury hotels, only decent ones. We use airbnb often.

Total ~10-15k/year.

I have other hobbies too but the costs are much lower - like biking - and some I don't do anymore (for example we did not go backpacking or even camping for long time).

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:39 pm

TheOscarGuy wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:20 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:14 pm
TheOscarGuy wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:00 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:45 am
Watches
Fly fishing - although most of the ongoing expense here is travel-related. I'm not a gear junky and prefer a minimal set up.
Just fishing :)
I am not traveling as much, but had to spend some money on gear.
Always wanted to get into fly fishing but have been intimidated by it. Plus not many locations nearby in Boston metro area to fly fish.
For now I will stick to spinning and casting setups :happy
Define "nearby"? This is a perfect fly fishing quarry. https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/phot ... -northeast

Pretty sure you can also fly fish for stripers in and around Boston Harbor.
Where I fish I didnt see too many folks fly fishing. I didn't know you could do it around Boston harbor. I ought to get someone to teach me how to do it. With spinning/casting gear, I was able to pretty much follow online videos, or ask others on shore what do they use, and fish.
Maybe I am more worried I will have a harder time, and that's why I haven't searched too hard on good fly fishing spots nearby.
Fly fishing is my passion and have been doing it for 40 years. Twenty of those years were in Boston. I would go every Saturday to the Farmington River outside of New Hartford Ct.and that was about a 2 hour drive. If I did not feel like driving that far I would hit the Willimantic River about 1 hour and 20 minutes away off l-90 past 495 and the Deerfield River in Western Mass. offers another option around 2 hours out of Boston. Stripers in Boston are another option. As far as learning check out some of the local fly shops that often will offer free classes.

Townline Lake

Post by Townline Lake » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:55 pm

Winter: Snowmobiling - Already 1000 miles this season

Summer: Class B RV for camping with Yakups Rack on the back to bring the kayaks and bikes

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:04 pm

Daryl wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:51 am
A couple friends and I keep our airplane a couple miles from Vanguard's HQ. Pilots speak of maintenance costs in "AMUs" (Aviation Monetary Units), where 1 AMU = $1,000. This year we are replacing the engine, seat covers, and carpet. Our mechanic hasn't yet started the annual inspection, and the propeller is offsite for an additional inspection. I'm sure we are over 35 AMUs already!
Want to know how to make one million dollars in private aviation? Start with three. :D
Performance = Potential - Distraction

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:14 pm

Townline Lake wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:55 pm

Summer: Class B RV for camping with Yakups Rack on the back to bring the kayaks and bikes
I have a Class B as well - although we opted for Advanced Element Inflatable Kayaks....

PleasureWay Plateau FL for us .

What do you use?

WoodSpinner

Townline Lake

Post by Townline Lake » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:29 pm

WoodSpinner wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:14 pm
Townline Lake wrote:

I have a Class B as well - although we opted for Advanced Element Inflatable Kayaks....

What do you use?

WoodSpinner
We have a 2018 Roadtrek Zion with the lithium batteries and solar panels. Really like it for camping off grid

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:31 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:40 am
Hmmmm.....offroading, I guess.

Already had the Jeep when I started.

One time expenses
Big tires $1000
Lift kit $250 (open box special)
Skid plates $300
Bumper and winch: $700
FRS radio: $25
wheel spacers, used $50
D rings: $15
Fire extinguisher: $25

Annual expenses
Fees to wheel annually: $250
Gas for travel to events $500

Nice! I had a mall cruiser GMC 2500 Diesel with a 10-inch lift and 38 inch tires. The ride was so rough my family wouldn't ride with me. So I got a 4 inch lift wit 35 inch tires. Still a pavement princess.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:38 pm

rai wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:47 am
I collect pinball machines. The price of a pinball machine can be as low as free to as high as $12K (not counting super rare collectible pins which can go for a lot more). I’m concentrated on pins in the $6-7K price range and have 13 of them.
My partner does this and I didn't know this was a thing! He has 4 machines now. I was at his house recently and he was proud to show me these machines.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:45 pm

Bass fishing. I have a 2017 Ranger Z21 with all the bells and whistles, including 4 lithium batteries ($6000), $11,000 of sonar including 4 graphs and 3 sonar pucks, Ulterra trolling motor with remote. My rig is over $80,000 and I love every minute with it. Recently built a new garage just to hold the boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ejwRj9t1Q

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:47 pm

Subscribing to The Wall Street Journal and playing golf.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:55 pm

I didn’t learn how to ski until later 20s but had a good 15 trips out west with amazing sights. Haven’t skied in a good decade, people got older, moved, etc.

Don’t really have expensive hobbies. Car is lower end, might eat a good filet occasionally, fly first class some, travel a bit but miles usually cover the airfare and sometimes the hotel as well. Probably good that my hobbies and likes are moderate since I never track budgets or expenses. I’ve had some wonderful trips using miles.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:01 am

Copper John wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:39 pm

Fly fishing is my passion and have been doing it for 40 years. Twenty of those years were in Boston. I would go every Saturday to the Farmington River outside of New Hartford Ct.and that was about a 2 hour drive. If I did not feel like driving that far I would hit the Willimantic River about 1 hour and 20 minutes away off l-90 past 495 and the Deerfield River in Western Mass. offers another option around 2 hours out of Boston. Stripers in Boston are another option. As far as learning check out some of the local fly shops that often will offer free classes.
Thank you for pointers on lessons and locations where to fish!

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:42 am

Townline Lake wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:29 pm
WoodSpinner wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:14 pm
Townline Lake wrote:

What do you use?

WoodSpinner
We have a 2018 Roadtrek Zion with the lithium batteries and solar panels. Really like it for camping off grid
Hear you on that, we do a lot of boondocking as well.

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:14 am

Sailing is my thing, but I see no reason to buy a boat. I came to Bogleheads through Taylor Larimore after meeting him at the sailing school/club south of Miami. The cost is minimal if you can join up with a club and there’s chance to meet new friends who share your passion. We meet up for a regatta on Saturday mornings and pay 60 bucks for 3 or 4 races. It’s enough to satisfy the buy without buying a boat. I think I would now find owning my own boat not only too expensive but also a little boring. I enjoy the competition and camaraderie.

Golf is recently my husband’s thing. We live near a public golf course when in Florida, which charges less for locals and even less when later in the afternoon. We pay $20 a round. Clubs and lessons have added up. We’re trying to figure out a way to play in Europe without join an expensive club, which is needed to play. There are ways around it though.

Our garden/yard is where we can’t control our spending. Wandering nurseries is so much fun and when we spot a tree/bush/plant we both like, we can’t help but buy it. We both need to dig in the earth. There are limits on the size of the garden, fortunately. However, uhm, there is a nice piece of land behind us I have my eye on that we could buy and expand to. :D

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:20 am

Kitty Telltales wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:14 am
Sailing is my thing, but I see no reason to buy a boat. I came to Bogleheads through Taylor Larimore after meeting him at the sailing school/club south of Miami. The cost is minimal if you can join up with a club and there’s chance to meet new friends who share your passion. We meet up for a regatta on Saturday mornings and pay 60 bucks for 3 or 4 races. It’s enough to satisfy the buy without buying a boat. I think I would now find owning my own boat not only too expensive but also a little boring. I enjoy the competition and camaraderie.

Golf is recently my husband’s thing. We live near a public golf course when in Florida, which charges less for locals and even less when later in the afternoon. We pay $20 a round. Clubs and lessons have added up. We’re trying to figure out a way to play in Europe without join an expensive club, which is needed to play. There are ways around it though.

Our garden/yard is where we can’t control our spending. Wandering nurseries is so much fun and when we spot a tree/bush/plant we both like, we can’t help but buy it. We both need to dig in the earth. There are limits on the size of the garden, fortunately. However, uhm, there is a nice piece of land behind us I have my eye on that we could buy and expand to. :D
If you are racing or day sailing, rentals and clubs are definitely the thing!

However, as a home or waterfront cabin, you don't have much choice. We bought when we did in order to know every system before we start cruising and we lived aboard for 4 years when we first got it. We now spend most weekends on board. Current plan has us moving back on board in about two years!

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:36 am

sailaway wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:20 am
Kitty Telltales wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:14 am
If you are racing or day sailing, rentals and clubs are definitely the thing!

However, as a home or waterfront cabin, you don't have much choice. We bought when we did in order to know every system before we start cruising and we lived aboard for 4 years when we first got it. We now spend most weekends on board. Current plan has us moving back on board in about two years!
That sounds like a dreamy lifestyle. However, I’m married to a landlubber who needs the continent under his feet. He has been learning to sail, for me, and I’m quite proud of the progress he’s made, even though he totally despises getting wet.

We’re both in our element in our garden. He’s been spending days doing up a digital design for this year’s plan.

BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:31 pm

-Going to get into alpine skiing more. Trying to get the gear at our local swap meet to save money next November. Season passes aren't cheap but they'll pay for themselves if we can go at least 8 times a year. Not buying the pass yet but will in a couple years.
-Hard wax treatments at home. I enjoy body waxing and like doing it myself, it's "my time." Haven't spent Boglehead incomes on waxing so far (I am small potatoes) but I would say it's about $100 a year total (I save probably 2k a year by not going to a waxing salon).
-Manicures and dip powder at home. Every two weeks I like to do my nails at home, seeing improvement on my technique is motivating. Used a $60 Amazon gift card and $60 my own money on it at the end of January, but that included everything I needed to get started plus 6 dip colors. One jar of the powder I use lasts for about 15 manicures. Going to buy a couple colors here and there and just have fun with my new hobby!
-We are great savers so I don't mind having a couple hobbies that make life more enjoyable. :happy
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:49 pm

Vacations for sure. We do not spend the same every year. Some years we have gone a bit over the top (Family of 4 on a Mediterranean Cruise can get quite expensive)while others its been domestic AirBNB but I believe every year it is certainly classifies as highest. Doing a lot of business travel has saved me a lot on flights and hotels over the years.
I spend a little on photography as my hobby (A few thousand every couple of years).
We also dine out frequently - occasionally splurging at upper-end restaurants.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:51 pm

gator15 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:14 am
Wife and I visit six different gyms between the two of us. They all provide something the others don’t. Gyms with massage memberships and it’s gotten really expensive. I’m about to cut out one of the gyms so that should save us some money. We actually use the gyms so we aren’t lighten money on fire. Ok, maybe some money. That’s why I’m cutting out one of the gyms.
Six gyms! That's impressive - you must be in great shape :)

Puretaxableindexer

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:58 pm

I live a dull life compared to others here. My luxury spending on myself involves buying Asics running shoes and shorts/shirt to run in. I bought a Schwinn Airdyne stationary bike years ago, but that's about it. I need to get out more.

supersecretname

Post by supersecretname » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:58 pm

I collect art. Though, I do it with an eye towards treating it like an investment that I will one day liquidate. I am very aware of the markets I am buying into and the resale potential. There is information asymmetry to be careful of. ~17.5% of NW.

Cwise

Post by Cwise » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:14 pm

Flashes1 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:40 am
My most expensive hobby is my kids' extracurriculars:

Boy (12): $2k/year at the gym with a trainer, $1k year baseball lessons, and $4k travel baseball team and related tourneys.

Girl (15): Equestrian dressage: I put my foot down early on that we're only leasing a horse while she lives under our roof. Lease: $4k year and horse shows and equipment is $3k year.

The big new expense is a private high school for my daughter: $17k year all-in.

All good investments (the private high school was not my idea but I'm hoping it pays-off for her - it is filled with seemingly great people).
I think you might have cross-posted accidentally. This is called parenting not really a hobby. :D

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:21 pm

Cwise wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:14 pm
Flashes1 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:40 am
My most expensive hobby is my kids' extracurriculars:

Boy (12): $2k/year at the gym with a trainer, $1k year baseball lessons, and $4k travel baseball team and related tourneys.

Girl (15): Equestrian dressage: I put my foot down early on that we're only leasing a horse while she lives under our roof. Lease: $4k year and horse shows and equipment is $3k year.

The big new expense is a private high school for my daughter: $17k year all-in.

All good investments (the private high school was not my idea but I'm hoping it pays-off for her - it is filled with seemingly great people).
I think you might have cross-posted accidentally. This is called parenting not really a hobby. :D
Trainers for pre-teens, equestrian fees, $17k/yr private school...that's not the type of "parenting" I am familiar with. I guess I could put wrestling and jiu jitsu for my son and daughter, maybe $1500/yr for both of them combined.

rm

Post by rm » Tue May 19, 2020 12:26 pm

What can you spend money on during covid lockdowns?

Travel used to be a luxury that I really spent money on.

Or adventure sports.

Now you can't travel. Any sports activities (eg. rafting, skydiving) are out because they require close contact.

queso

Post by queso » Tue May 19, 2020 12:39 pm

rm wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:26 pm

Travel used to be a luxury that I really spent money on.

Or adventure sports.

Now you can't travel. Any sports activities (eg. rafting, skydiving) are out because they require close contact.
We probably came out ahead because of cancelling a vacation and a liveaboard dive trip, but still managed to blow a little money during covid:

- fancy office chair (my 28 year old chair from college isn't cutting it for 24x7 telework)
- landscaping
- Roomba mopping robot (liked the vacuum so trying this one out)
- Fancier than normal scotch (ordered online)
- New smartphones

I'm avoiding most of my adventure sports due to increased risk of diverting medical attention and exposing myself to an ER, but am doing some cycling on dedicated trails.
Last edited by queso on Tue May 19, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Tue May 19, 2020 12:49 pm

Guitars and hifi music!

PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco » Tue May 19, 2020 1:00 pm

Shackleton wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:01 pm
I used to be a professional hunter/jumper trainer (English horseback riding) so I actually got paid to ride and show really expensive horses. Then, after 15 years as a pro, I transitioned back to being an amateur and even though I kept my horses at home and hauled my horses to shows, I easily spent $20k/year on showing and upkeep. After I got a little burnt out from showing so much, I switched to bicycling and triathlons, which some people think are expensive, but even with a $10k MTB, it is MUCH cheaper than Hunter/Jumper showing. Now my hobbies are mountain biking in the spring/summer/fall and Nordic (cross country) skiing in the winter with just a tiny bit of alpine (downhill) skiing mixed in. But we now live in the mountains by a couple of the best XC ski destinations in Colorado (which also means great MTB) and I get free alpine skiing because I work at the ski resort. So instead of 4 horses, we now have 11 bicycles and 12 pairs of skis.

And this summer we plan to try out fly fishing.
What a great life! This is my dream life!

We had horses when I was growing up, so I rode a lot and had dreams of being a hunter/jumper trainer! But my father's groaning and holding his ulcer every time he paid the bills convinced me that I should find another hobby/dream that wasn't as stressful.

My most expensive hobby right now is going to Hawaii, but I plan to move there in 2022 (covid-19 should be tamed by then) so I will have to find another one.
If you're not working on yourself, you're not working.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue May 19, 2020 1:05 pm

rm wrote:
For car hobbyists, COVID lockdowns make it worse. No limit to what you can spent on go-fast parts for a hobby car.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue May 19, 2020 1:05 pm

My most expensive hobby is audiophile equipments.

researcher

Post by researcher » Tue May 19, 2020 1:08 pm

rm wrote:
Any sports activities are out because they require close contact.
Huh?

Road/mountain biking, canoeing/kayaking, fishing, hiking, power boating, ect, ect.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue May 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Backpacking.

The most expensive piece of kit: A Subaru to get me to starting points.

Otherwise, the rest of the stuff is only expensive for an unemployed college student. Most of it is carbon fiber, titanium, and Dyneema Composite Fabric.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue May 19, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

rob

Post by rob » Tue May 19, 2020 1:21 pm

Third Son wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 am
Photography and the necessary travel that goes with it :-)
Ain't that the truth... Same here :shock:
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

bernie

Post by bernie » Tue May 19, 2020 1:38 pm

Cycling is my hobby and it is pricey, but I agree with bucky-badger that horses are the biggest money pit. Had a daughter into horses and it was crazy expensive. Where we boarded the horses we paid more than my family ever paid for rent when I was a kid. Every time I leave the bike shop, and my wife gives me the look I point out how much cheaper it is than a horse. We both get a little nauseated when we see one of the "living quarters" horse trailers going down the highway.

I have two custom built tandems (Calfee and Binghan/Eriksen built) both over 15k, trek project one over 12k, and several other (n+1) high end mountain/fat/gravel bikes, and I haven't come close to spending what we did for the years of rodeo and various other horse adventures. I do cycle over 5000 miles a year.

I got hooked on cycling again after Lance's historic Tour run back in the day.

Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 » Tue May 19, 2020 2:23 pm

Guns. Shooting, and to a lesser extent collecting. For example I just spent $1775 on a CZ TSO last week at my local gun shop out the door. I don't shoot in competitions so I have no real purpose for it. Way too big/heavy to carry and I have much better options for home defense, but every once in a while I like to have nice things.

I also have a lot into my reloading equipment and components. Haven't even used it in a couple years since the price of ammo came down. Just continuing to stockpile components for the next panic.

I got into cycling a few years ago. I have a decent cyclocross bike for now. I've been thinking about picking up a true road bike as I'm not riding as much gravel as I used to.

czeckers

Post by czeckers » Tue May 19, 2020 2:27 pm

Making babies. Boy they're expensive!

:mrgreen:
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US Total Mkt, 20% Small Cap Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Developed Int'l, 10% EM, 30% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue May 19, 2020 3:06 pm

German equestrian warmblood horses
Stables
Riding arena
Etc
Etc
😬
Happy Souse👍

j
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed May 20, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abe

Post by Abe » Tue May 19, 2020 3:20 pm

After reading this thread I realize I live in a completely different world than most posters on this thread. Someone posted they paid over $15k each for a 2 bicycles, and some posted paying thousands of dollars for a horse. I bought a bicycle for $25 at a flea market recently. Now granted I don't ride hundreds or thousands of miles on a bicycle, just a few times around the block. But $15k for a bicycle. That's not much less than I paid for my last car. :happy
Slow and steady wins the race.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue May 19, 2020 3:28 pm

Abe wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:20 pm
After reading this thread I realize I live in a completely different world than most posters on this thread. Someone posted they paid over $15k each for a 2 bicycles, and some posted paying thousands of dollars for a horse. I bought a bicycle for $25 at a flea market recently. Now granted I don't ride hundreds or thousands of miles on a bicycle, just a few times around the block. But $15k for a bicycle. That's not much less than I paid for my last car. :happy
We (wife and I) do ride thousands of miles on bikes a year, and I have had high-end bikes (relatively, in the ~$5-6k range) in the past, but now riding bikes 1/4 of the cost, the experience is the same to me and the differences in performance are almost impossible to measure. Cyclists are notorious gearheads; after trying the high-end stuff, it just wasn't worth it to me.