What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bo105954027

What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by bo105954027 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:15 pm

Most BHs here are middle/upper-middle class earners. I am curious about what they spend most dollars on to make them happy other than necessities.

Mine first:

1. Vacation Travelling: true but mediocre as I guess most answers will include this. Me I spend ~$4500 in domestic and international travelings every year.

2. Skiing: I got this hobby two years ago.. it's fun but WOW it's also a real money hole! A rough list of costs below:

Infrastructure investment:

Outfit: ski jacket, pants, boots - $1000
Gears: snowboard and bindings - $500
Protection: full body armor, helmet, goggles, gloves, etc. - $600
accessories: GoPro, stabilizer - $500

Operation cost:

season pass (to nearby mountains) - $700/yr (price raising every year)
commute to mountains (5-12 hrs round way per trip), gas and toll - $30-70/trip
sleeping, Airbnb or Hotel - $40-80/night
eating (breakfast and lunch usually cheap fast food, dinner often be fancier) - $10-50/time

That's like ~$3500 per year. Not to mention as my skills and tastes inflating, the eastern mountains start failing to satisfy me, and I'm planning to fly to major ski resorts such as mountains in the West, Canada and Europe (I live in East) next couple of seasons. Can't imagine what cost that'll be...

My two luxury hobbies combined eat up 1/10 of my pre-tax income. I'm not sure if it's financially healthy. But they do contribute to my mental and spiritual health, and I think that's worthwhile.

So, what are your most expensive/luxury hobbies, and how much do they impact your personal finance?
Last edited by bo105954027 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Time in market beats timing the market.

decapod10

Re: What is your most luxury/expansive hobby.

Post by decapod10 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:20 pm

Vacation for sure, we spend a lot on vacation.

Otherwise, currently I've been into fancy mechanical keyboards. They cost a lot more than is reasonable for a keyboard (and the keycaps), lol.

Godot

Post by Godot » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:23 pm

bo105954027 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:15 pm
Most BHs here are middle/upper-middle class earners. I am curious about what they spend most dollars on to make them happy other than necessities.

Mine first:

1. Vacation Travelling: true but mediocre as I guess most answers will include this. Me I spend ~$4500 in domestic and international travelings every year.

2. Skiing: I got this hobby two years ago.. it's fun but WOW it's also a real money hole! A rough list of costs below:

Operation cost:

eating (breakfast and lunch usually cheap fast food, dinner often be fancier) - $10-50/time

That's like ~$3500 per year. Not to mention as my skills and tastes inflating, the eastern mountains are failing to satisfy me, and I'm planning to fly to major ski resorts such as mountains in the West, Canada and Europe (I live in East) next couple of seasons. Can't imagine what cost that'll be...

My two luxury hobbies combined eat up 1/10 of my annual pre-tax income. I'm not sure if it's financially healthy. But they do contribute to my mental and spiritual health, and I think that's worthwhile.

So, what are your most expansive/luxury hobbies, and how much do they impact your personal finance?
I think you mean "expensive," not expansive, although given the description of your growing skiing habit, the latter might fit as well.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

vipertom1970

Post by vipertom1970 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:34 pm

Off shore tuna Fishing:
Boat one time purchase: $150k
fishing gear one time purchase:15K
Insurance & Tow US $1,500 per year
Boat maintenance : $1,500 per year
Gas, ice & live bait per trip: $600 X12 trips= $7,200 per year
charter boat(2.5 day trip): $800 x3=$2,400 per year
charter 1-10 day trip: 1x$4,00=$4,000 per year
fishing supplies: 2k per year

this is just one of my hobbies!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by vipertom1970 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
bo105954027

Post by bo105954027 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:43 pm

Godot wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:23 pm
bo105954027 wrote:

Mine first:

Operation cost:

That's like ~$3500 per year. Not to mention as my skills and tastes inflating, the eastern mountains are failing to satisfy me, and I'm planning to fly to major ski resorts such as mountains in the West, Canada and Europe (I live in East) next couple of seasons. Can't imagine what cost that'll be...

My two luxury hobbies combined eat up 1/10 of my annual pre-tax income. I'm not sure if it's financially healthy. But they do contribute to my mental and spiritual health, and I think that's worthwhile.

So, what are your most expansive/luxury hobbies, and how much do they impact your personal finance?
I think you mean "expensive," not expansive, although given the description of your growing skiing habit, the latter might fit as well.
Fixed the typo :oops:
Time in market beats timing the market.

sailaway

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by sailaway » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:48 pm

Sailing. But we were able to live on the boat for several years before traffic just got too bad.

A little secret: although everyone thinks of yacht clubs as a luxury, if you are going to own a boat anyway, they are often cheaper than commercial marinas.

I will spare you the details, but last year's refit was the same as an average year's total spend.

gator15

Post by gator15 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:14 am

Wife and I visit six different gyms between the two of us. They all provide something the others don’t. Gyms with massage memberships and it’s gotten really expensive. I’m about to cut out one of the gyms so that should save us some money. We actually use the gyms so we aren’t lighten money on fire. Ok, maybe some money. That’s why I’m cutting out one of the gyms.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:56 am

bo105954027 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:43 pm
Godot wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:23 pm
bo105954027 wrote:

Mine first:

Operation cost:

Fixed the typo :oops:
You can edit you posts but it will indicate you have, but you can enter that you edited it to correct a typo in the section provided when you edit.

rage_phish

Post by rage_phish » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:57 am

Personal - concerts

With my wife - vacations, and the food and wine that go with them

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:00 am

My wife often says that the only reason I quit looking for more hobbies after taking up sailing, woodworking and photography is that I couldn't find anything more expensive ! I'm sure I could prove her wrong.

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:51 am

A couple friends and I keep our airplane a couple miles from Vanguard's HQ. Pilots speak of maintenance costs in "AMUs" (Aviation Monetary Units), where 1 AMU = $1,000. This year we are replacing the engine, seat covers, and carpet. Our mechanic hasn't yet started the annual inspection, and the propeller is offsite for an additional inspection. I'm sure we are over 35 AMUs already!

tigermilk

Post by tigermilk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:57 am

Music, live and recorded. We will be seeing at least 50 concerts this year, though fortunately some are free (world class music school less than 30 minutes away), and season tickets for 2 for the various companies are a bit north of $3k. Add in music streaming services (both audio and video services), my vinyl buying habit, wife's CD buying habit, and my stereo gear habit, and we are over $6k per year.

jimmyq

Post by jimmyq » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:27 am

Flying. I retired last year, and have decided to become a private pilot. I'm attending ground school now, and will start taking flying lessons soon. Not a cheap hobby by any means, but it is great to finally have the time (and funds) to pursue this.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:40 am

Hmmmm.....offroading, I guess.

Already had the Jeep when I started.

One time expenses
Big tires $1000
Lift kit $250 (open box special)
Skid plates $300
Bumper and winch: $700
FRS radio: $25
wheel spacers, used $50
D rings: $15
Fire extinguisher: $25

Annual expenses
Fees to wheel annually: $250
Gas for travel to events $500
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

WJW

Post by WJW » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:46 am

Also skiing.

See post above regarding a rough estimate of costs...

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:46 am

Buying top of the line tools, many for one time use. There's nothing I look forward to more than finding something broken and having to go out an buy some expensive tools to fix it. I guess it's an hobby at this point.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:24 am

I've only recently quit the most expensive hobby i think that exists. A- circuit horse showing! I mean, maybe buying a yacht is more expensive, but is yachting really a "hobby?"

Operating expenses were board/training/lessons monthly from 900 at the cheapest to 2000. At more expensive full service barns with grooms and fancier amenities this could easily be double per horse.

Shoes every 6 weeks for 100 to 250 depending on the horse's needs.

Annual vet bill not including any emergencies is about 3000. Add in an emergency here or there, and horses are nothing if not constantly trying to I'll themselves, and that'll be 5000 a year easy. I've paid for one tie-back surgery and two suspensory injuries for about 3k each.

Equipment is hopefully not always being replaced, but 5k on a saddle is common. Bridles for 250 to 500 each. Custom boots for the rider 1500. Show jackets 500, breeches 250. Helmets 300. Luckily that sort of stuff hopefully lasts and isn't being replaced yearly, at least the leather goods.

This doesn't even touch on two giant expenses - the showing and the price of the horse.

A long weekend at our local A facility would run about 1500 to 2000 including braiding the horse, hotel, and day fees, training, and expenses for the trainer. 5 days at the AA facility a couple hours away would be about 3500 to 4000. We did about 5 or 6 of each annually. And these are old numbers. I think braiding alone now is about double what i used to pay.

And the horse. My most expensive horse was 20k, and he was one of the cheapest in the barn and dirt cheap compared to others at the show. I'd say 50k was a normal "cheap" horse and the sky is the limit. The lady next to me spent 250k on her fancy young horse and 100k on a well trained schoolmaster for each of her 3 daughters. A going and winning grand Prix horse is a half million easy. A famous going grand Prix horse is a million when it's being purchased by Steve Jobs' or Bruce Springsteen's daughter. Or Georgiana Bloomberg. And the sort of person who has 150k horses usually has at least two.

When i was showing the most was actually when i had the cheapest board since i was also working at the barn on all my free time. My board was the most expensive when i was showing the least because i was working, so it kind of averaged out.

The very LEAST I managed to spend was recently before i got out of horses because we had our first kid, was about 30k a year.

So yeah. Horses can pretty much be as expensive as you'd like to make them.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:34 am

As a family - travel. In a typical year we spend probably 5-7k for one big summer trip an a couple weekend tipcs, including at least one weekend away just for the two of us. Some years we will go bigger, especially if we are flying somewhere. For '21 we are considering taking hte kids to Disney, I expect that will run 10-12k alone (planning to stay at the luxury on-property resorts).

Personally? We've had the hobby threads before but I will repeat - I do R/C aircraft. Not camera drones, but old fashion remote control wooden model airplanes, helicopters, etc. Anything beyond a throw away foam toy is into the thousands per model if you use top of the line components; a decent mid size electric powered airplane (say 6lb, 60 inches) plane will be around $1-15k all up, but I mostly fly large scale gas ones (15lb+) and can have as much as $3-5k invested in each. Mid size aerobatic helicopers run $2k-$5k. And that's just the aircraft - pro grade radio equipment can run $1k-3k for the transmitter, then there is all kind of support gear, tools, and building supplies. Then club dues ($50-$100 a year per club/flying site), national hobby association dues (spent $1500 for a life membership), occasional contest fees, and in recent years there are also FAA registration fees.

At any given time Ive probably got $15-$25k worth of equipment in my hobby room and I shudder to think of what the lifetime investment over 30+ years doing this has been..... And I dont come anywhere near the spending level some do - people that fly competitively can spend 10k on a a single airframe (that get as big as 10ft+ wingspan, 40lb with 15HP engines)... Jet modellers (yes, real jet turbine engines) can spend more on a model than the average American does on a car.

And I see people spending at these levels who only have blue collar jobs.. :confused
Last edited by jharkin on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:40 am

My most expensive hobby is my kids' extracurriculars:

Boy (12): $2k/year at the gym with a trainer, $1k year baseball lessons, and $4k travel baseball team and related tourneys.

Girl (15): Equestrian dressage: I put my foot down early on that we're only leasing a horse while she lives under our roof. Lease: $4k year and horse shows and equipment is $3k year.

The big new expense is a private high school for my daughter: $17k year all-in.

All good investments (the private high school was not my idea but I'm hoping it pays-off for her - it is filled with seemingly great people).

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:44 am

DW + I, retired, frugal.
R/E income property investing. I have fun with it. Always did. :D
Equestrian things, 2 euro$$$$$$ horses, DW rides and trains near daily. Stable, arena, and grounds maint equipment.
DW used to be a dressage trainer/teacher, so this expense is not going away :shock:
Home improvement, property improvements, new buildings, etc.
Health, nutrition, and fitness.
DW and I are former prf. photographers. Gear is pricey. Fun toys!
An occasional new or vintage fountain pen, or vintage typewriter found on ebay. :D

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:45 am

Watches
Fly fishing - although most of the ongoing expense here is travel-related. I'm not a gear junky and prefer a minimal set up.

rai

Post by rai » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:47 am

I collect pinball machines. The price of a pinball machine can be as low as free to as high as $12K (not counting super rare collectible pins which can go for a lot more). I’m concentrated on pins in the $6-7K price range and have 13 of them. Not just the price of the machines which is typically what I can sell them for so the downside is not bad, but I’m contemplating move to Florida where it’s hard to find houses with basements so I’m needing to look for an unusual house with extra rooms either a surplus of bedrooms or a large game room so this is a hidden expense. Not a problem in my current location because most houses have plentiful basement spaces.

Second (not current) will be cars. I do have a sports car now which is not a daily driver so this makes me have 2 personal cars but in the future I’d like to have even more than that (which also leads to another housing expense which is surplus garage space).
Last edited by rai on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:49 am

1) Traveling, of course. 2-3 international trips a year.

2) Photography. I shoot both digital and film, so this adds up. I develop film myself at home which cuts down on cost but also takes 10-20 minutes per roll. This might be a very expensive year for photography for me depending on what Canon releases for their RF line. :D

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:51 am

Super expensive board games.

rai

Post by rai » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:54 am

vipertom1970 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:34 pm
Off shore tuna Fishing:

You sir take the cake. As do the plane and horse guys.

Every time someone says ‘wow you sure have a ton of money in pinball machines’, I’ll think of you and smile.
Last edited by rai on Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair

Uniballer

Post by Uniballer » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:55 am

I don't play this game, but my brother is into serial marriage. He is on his third wife and has two kids with her. Think about how expensive that hobby could get.

sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:03 am

Luxury travel has become our biggest expense. Just booked a large house at Wintergreen Resort for a week together with our adult kids and their spouses (with 1st grandchild on the way), to be followed a month later for DW and my 5th Backroads biking vacation (in Oregon).

We also took a (very high-end) Seabourn cruise last year, so will never be able to cruise on typical large ships again! :oops:

Prior to retirement, I budgeted ~10% annual expenses for travel, but we're running~15%. However, with the "slow-go" and "no-go" years looming down the road, we're happy to pay for "experiences" during our "go-go" years, while we can.

Fortunately, the travel budget makes my high-end audio hobby look ridiculously cheap by comparison!
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:11 am

Cars. Like most hobbies, pricing can run the gambit.

They range from fixing up a $500 find with junkyard parts (nearly free if you include value add) to competing as a gentlemen driver in the 24 hours of LeMans (tens of millions in a single season). But most car guys seem to spend more than they are willing to admit, whatever their budget.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:20 am

Garage gym with ~$20k in equipment, but accumulated over 2 decades and nothing has been purchased ~4yrs. With a demanding job, a wife who works full-time and goes to school full-time, and two young kids, I don't know where I'd find the time to devote to hobbies outside of lifting things and hiking/climbing mountains.

fjfino

Post by fjfino » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:27 am

Golf- 50 rounds a year...
Concerts-
6-8 year depending on who is in my area
Stay the course

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:37 am

vipertom1970 wrote:
Off shore tuna Fishing:

How many tuna have you caught, on average trips?

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:46 am

Will do good wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:37 am
vipertom1970 wrote:
Off shore tuna Fishing:

How many tuna have you caught, on average trips?
In the pacific northwest there is albacore tuna fishing. My wife and I go out on a single day charter for albacore every year or two and you can bring home about 10 tuna per person which will net out to about 60lbs of fillets/loins each. If you go on an overnight boat you can double that for about 50% more in cost. Single day trips are $450pp plus tip and fish cleaning fees.

The grocery store charges about $18/lb for fresh albacore so you can come out a little bit ahead vs buying at the store. One trip we got only 2 fish split 6 ways for the boat. That was the most expensive meat ive ever consumed.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:02 am

Right now in early retirement, travel. It was literally half our spending last year.

Like sandtrap, also a former professional photographer. I quit when I realized that my favorite part of the job was buying and selling the gear, not the photography part.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

M.Lee

Post by M.Lee » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:26 am

BuckyBadger wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:24 am
I've only recently quit the most expensive hobby i think that exists. A- circuit horse showing! I mean, maybe buying a yacht is more expensive, but is yachting really a "hobby?"

Operating expenses were board/training/lessons monthly from 900 at the cheapest to 2000. At more expensive full service barns with grooms and fancier amenities this could easily be double per horse.

Shoes every 6 weeks for 100 to 250 depending on the horse's needs.

Annual vet bill not including any emergencies is about 3000. Add in an emergency here or there, and horses are nothing if not constantly trying to I'll themselves, and that'll be 5000 a year easy. I've paid for one tie-back surgery and two suspensory injuries for about 3k each.

Equipment is hopefully not always being replaced, but 5k on a saddle is common. Bridles for 250 to 500 each. Custom boots for the rider 1500. Show jackets 500, breeches 250. Helmets 300. Luckily that sort of stuff hopefully lasts and isn't being replaced yearly, at least the leather goods.

This doesn't even touch on two giant expenses - the showing and the price of the horse.

A long weekend at our local A facility would run about 1500 to 2000 including braiding the horse, hotel, and day fees, training, and expenses for the trainer. 5 days at the AA facility a couple hours away would be about 3500 to 4000. We did about 5 or 6 of each annually. And these are old numbers. I think braiding alone now is about double what i used to pay.

And the horse. My most expensive horse was 20k, and he was one of the cheapest in the barn and dirt cheap compared to others at the show. I'd say 50k was a normal "cheap" horse and the sky is the limit. The lady next to me spent 250k on her fancy young horse and 100k on a well trained schoolmaster for each of her 3 daughters. A going and winning grand Prix horse is a half million easy. A famous going grand Prix horse is a million when it's being purchased by Steve Jobs' or Bruce Springsteen's daughter. Or Georgiana Bloomberg. And the sort of person who has 150k horses usually has at least two.

When i was showing the most was actually when i had the cheapest board since i was also working at the barn on all my free time. My board was the most expensive when i was showing the least because i was working, so it kind of averaged out.

The very LEAST I managed to spend was recently before i got out of horses because we had our first kid, was about 30k a year.

So yeah. Horses can pretty much be as expensive as you'd like to make them.
Wow, do we have a lot in common, including the fact that we both recently quit. However, I still have one retiree at home. Only 20k for a horse? Ha. In order to be competitive even at the local shows now, you need a 6 figure horse. It's outrageous the expense of this sport. Even keeping one at home is costing me a lot when you tally up the bedding, hay, grain, farrier, and vet bills. Was it worth it Bucky? I did it for 50 years, and I'm starting to believe not.

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:12 pm

Luckily for me, I get to travel to nice places for work so my travel is highly subsidized. So while travel is on my list, it's not nearly as bad as it would have been if DW and I paid for it all on our own.

So our expensive hobby is snowmobiling. Two sleds, trailer, helmets, snow gear, oil, ethanol-free high-octane gas, yearly maintenance, house rental, plus trading in the Outback for an F150, we're in for about $50k. Every winter we talk about buying our own house in the Adirondacks so it could get a lot more expensive if we ever follow through.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:15 pm

M.Lee wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:26 am
Wow, do we have a lot in common, including the fact that we both recently quit. However, I still have one retiree at home. Only 20k for a horse? Ha. In order to be competitive even at the local shows now, you need a 6 figure horse. It's outrageous the expense of this sport. Even keeping one at home is costing me a lot when you tally up the bedding, hay, grain, farrier, and vet bills. Was it worth it Bucky? I did it for 50 years, and I'm starting to believe not.
Yeah - he was a diamond in the rough. Literally. Hard as hell to ride, but when I was younger and better I could make it work. He jumped out of his skin to 3' but maxed out there and dumped you on your ass if he didn't like your distance. We managed to own the younger amateurs on a pretty big circuit for two years before he decided he didn't want to jump even when the distances *were* good. It was tough being the "working ammy" when the ladies I competed against were splashing out a quarter of a mil on a green prospect and cantering it around against me. They could make a mistake and win. I had to be perfect to win, but if I was I could beat them, and that was a nice feeling when it happened. Switching to jumpers was a relief! I honestly can't believe I stuck it out in the hunters as long as I did.

I would be hesitant to tally up the amount of money I've spent on horses over the past 29 years. It would be horrifying. And I do really wonder if it was worth it. I was always the helper. The easy client who bent over backwards. Never the squeaky wheel. Because I knew I didn't have the money to be the difficult one. And it's really depressing to do that for 30 years and see all the special treatment and sucking up to that the really wealthy clients got. 30 years is a long time to be low-key jealous pretty much all the time.

Now that I'm out (no land to retire myself and FINALLY found a soft spot for my last one to land) it's like I can take a deep breath again.

Was it worth it? It's so hard to say. It's hard to consider that something I spent nearly every waking moment involved in since I was 11 years old might have been worthless. But who is to say that I wouldn't have found another social and athletic and competitive outlet and become just as invested in that at much less expense for me and my parents.

If I hadn't had the baby I'd probably still be doing it. It's a hard habit to quit completely. I still see old trainer's facebook posts and think about what could have been and get a pang of remorse.

But I know what you mean. It wasn't worth what I spent on it, that's for sure.

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:20 pm

First class travel. Has averaged into 6 figures/year since we retired 13 years ago. Other expensive things would include clothing, luxury cars, boating, skiing, Biggest discretionary expense would be gifts to others and charity though.

fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:23 pm

Golf and All Inclusive Resorts
When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:26 pm

Wow some of you folks have expensive hobbies! I thought golf was bad...I took a year off and played 125 rounds. But that's nothing compared to a few months of horse/boat/plane maintenance.

seity

Post by seity » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Hockey. Since both my husband and I play and one of our two kids it's $1500 a year for ice time, plus another ~$200 to keep equipment fitting/functional from year to year.
This is a huge expense for us, but I also feel worth it for the health benefits. I budget $150 a month to be able to come up with the money when it's due at the start of the season.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:32 pm

DW is a former equestrian dressage trainer/teacher. Thus, 2 german dressage horses$$$$$$ in our stables, tack room with all the custom goodies (saddles have to be refitted yearly), plus arena and estate maintenance machines, etc, etc, etc, etc.
= Happy Spouse :D :D :D

Boats were cheaper, kids were cheaper, golf was cheaper, photography is definitely cheaper, cars are cheaper. Guitars are cheaper, . . . . . . :shock:

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:33 pm

After reading the posts above, I am feeling pretty good about my relative frugality. I don't have any boats, planes, or horses. Our biggest splurge in recent memory has been 4 trips to Europe in the past 9 years. These each cost about $5,000 - $6,000.

Something that I used to spend a lot of $ on (but not so much any longer), is hockey. The most expensive time was when my son was doing travel hockey. I also played and we had a partial season ticket plan to see the Flyers not win the cup every year. :(

seity

Post by seity » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:36 pm

Hockey10 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:33 pm
After reading the posts above, I am feeling pretty good about my relative frugality. I don't have any boats, planes, or horses. Our biggest splurge in recent memory has been 4 trips to Europe in the past 9 years. These each cost about $5,000 - $6,000.

Something that I used to spend a lot of $ on (but not so much any longer), is hockey. The most expensive time was when my son was doing travel hockey. I also played and we had a partial season ticket plan to see the Flyers not win the cup every year. :(
Our son is only just starting hockey. I admit I'm a bit nervous for the travel years. I'm hoping we have a little more income to cover the costs; otherwise, I'll probably have to give it up to fund it for him.

Windylotus

Post by Windylotus » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:43 pm

Vintage electric guitars & amplifiers

I would love a pre-CBS early sixties Fender Stratocaster!

Foredeck

Post by Foredeck » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Sailing

Taking the plunge this year and buying a boat.

GeMoney

Post by GeMoney » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:49 pm

Stereo equipment although I do consider myself a budget audiophile and try not to spend too much. I have two mobile systems, a pc based system, a high end clock radio which I retrofitted to stream audio and my main system.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:52 pm

supalong52 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:26 pm
Wow some of you folks have expensive hobbies! I thought golf was bad...I took a year off and played 125 rounds. But that's nothing compared to a few months of horse/boat/plane maintenance.
For some of us, that expensive hobby is the only reason we are so interested in retirement planning and early retirement.
Foredeck wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:46 pm
Sailing

Taking the plunge this year and buying a boat.
Well, ya can't captain from the foredeck!

Can you believe someone asked if yachting can be a hobby? We have clubs and everything!!

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:52 pm

seity wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:36 pm

Our son is only just starting hockey. I admit I'm a bit nervous for the travel years. I'm hoping we have a little more income to cover the costs; otherwise, I'll probably have to give it up to fund it for him.
This is going back almost 20 years, but the cost of ice time for each travel player was $1500 per season. This did not include equipment, jerseys, tournament fees, wear and tear on the car, etc... Another cost is getting up at 0500 on Saturday and driving 100+ miles to a game or tournament in Scranton, or Harrisburg, or State College.

In the end it was worth it. He got to play a game at The Spectrum (where the Flyers used to play) and another one at the First Union Center (now known as the Wells Fargo Center), where the Flyers play now.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:14 pm

Top expensive hobby (by far): saving.

Other two most prioritized hobbies:
- Nutrition (cooking from whole food) and weight training.
- Traveling (National Parks, hiking, and outdoor activities).

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:21 pm

fizxman wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:12 pm
Luckily for me, I get to travel to nice places for work so my travel is highly subsidized. So while travel is on my list, it's not nearly as bad as it would have been if DW and I paid for it all on our own.

Wife and I both travel quite a bit for work (domestically and internationally) and have agreed that this has helped us realize that we don't like traveling all that much.