New Grad with fashion design degree looking for job in that field

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
carolinaman

New Grad with fashion design degree looking for job in that field

Post by carolinaman » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:30 pm

My oldest granddaughter graduated in December with 4 year degree in fashion design from Auburn. She found a job but not in the fashion design field. She is looking for her first fulltime job in fashion design. She had two internships while in school and was a good student. From what I understand, aside from NYC, these jobs tend to be scattered across US. She is from SC but willing to relocate to where the jobs are, including NYC. Do any Bogleheads have suggestions of where she might look?

Thanks for your help.

bankle

Re: New Grad with fashion design degree looking for job in that field

Post by bankle » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:09 pm

Also Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco. It is a global industry, of course, but NYC does seem to be the epicenter of US fashion. I am follower of fashion, not in the industry, so no expert.

Hopefully her internship contacts can give her some direction. Presumably she also follows industry news. In fact she may appreciate a gift of a subscription to Womens Wear Daily, the industry trade journal.
https://wwd.com

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:42 pm

Does Auburn have a career placement office that has contacts?

Sometimes Universities have a pipeline into certain employers.
This is not always the case, but she may get lucky.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:57 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:30 pm
Do any Bogleheads have suggestions of where she might look?
I know someone that had a similar degree that ended up working at a local bridal shop but she wanted to work on bridal gowns.

At least in her case doing custom wedding gowns takes so much time(and dealing with bridezillas) that she could make more money doing alterations.

She is taking some time to be a stay at home mom right now but I think that her long term plans are to open her own bridal shop when the kids are older.

ohai

Post by ohai » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:00 pm

1) Talk to the school's career office. If they are running a Fashion Design program at Auburn, they should be maintaining some kind of recruiting relationships with employers.

2) Reach out to alumni of this program on LinkedIn and ask them for leads or information.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:21 pm

This is going to be TOUGH to break into.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:12 am

Not to be a negative Nellie here but my granddaughter did EXACTLY the same thing and finally got tired of minimum wages jobs working retail. Trying to find an opening using her fashion design training proved nearly impossible. She went back to school and got an accounting / CPA degree and is making great money with many opportunities available.

Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:27 am

MathWizard wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Does Auburn have a career placement office that has contacts?

Sometimes Universities have a pipeline into certain employers.
This is not always the case, but she may get lucky.
Graduating mid year may not have helped but Auburn was disappointing in their assistance. Their career day was focused in other majors and no employers in her major showed up.

Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:31 am

Watty wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:57 pm
carolinaman wrote:
Do any Bogleheads have suggestions of where she might look?
I know someone that had a similar degree that ended up working at a local bridal shop but she wanted to work on bridal gowns.

At least in her case doing custom wedding gowns takes so much time(and dealing with bridezillas) that she could make more money doing alterations.

She is taking some time to be a stay at home mom right now but I think that her long term plans are to open her own bridal shop when the kids are older.
Interesting. Both of her internships were doing bridal gowns, one in Charleston and the other in New Orleans.

Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:37 am

LifeIsGood wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:12 am
Not to be a negative Nellie here but my granddaughter did EXACTLY the same thing and finally got tired of minimum wages jobs working retail. Trying to find an opening using her fashion design training proved nearly impossible. She went back to school and got an accounting / CPA degree and is making great money with many opportunities available.
Trust me, her parents tried to get her to have a more marketable major but she is very passionate about fashion design. She is multi talented, but all are arts related things like painting and photography. Reality may set in now.

Deblog

Post by Deblog » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:45 am

LifeIsGood wrote:
Same with my daughter. She did fashion merchandising but since I was paying for school I told her she had to double major as I would not pay that kind of money for just a fashion degree. She got 2 BS degrees, fashion merchandising and accounting. Figured accounting would be a good tie in to merchandising. Only job offers in fashion were low paying assistant store managers. Much better job offer in accounting and 5 years in doing pretty well. Class mates in fashion have struggled in New York getting laid off and struggling to find other jobs.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:56 am

She should go back to the Auburn career center for 1:1 support. Makes sense that there was less interest from a recruiting fair.

She should consider design jobs broadly, outside of fashion. Hopefully her coursework familiarized her with some of the technical design tools in common use. If she learned any CAD or Maya at all, or whatever software pro designers use these days, or even just Photoshop, she might be able to find a much better paying entry level job even way outside her field. Going a different route, she might also want to look at fashion buyer jobs, which seem more plentiful than design ones and can build her network.

She needs to maintain and refresh her portfolio, even if she can't afford to make a lot of pieces and just has drawings. She needs to meet a LOT of people.

bullmoose85

Post by bullmoose85 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:00 pm

I'm sorry but your granddaughter has a degree that is not worth the paper it's printed on. She either needs to go back to school and get a degree in a STEM field, or possibly try to carve out a career in sales. Otherwise it's going to be a long and low-paying road for her.

FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:15 pm

Is she willing and able to make very little for the first few years of her career? I think there are well paying jobs in fashion design, but you have to pay your dues. Also, she might consider looking for opportunities abroad. International jobs abound for recent college grads. They might be short term, but she can get her foot in the door in Sydney, London, or Tokyo.

oilrig

Post by oilrig » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:26 pm

I know this is common sense, but has she talked to her classmates about some of the offers they received in fashion? Im sure they can point her in the right direction or try and help her get her foot in the door with one of their companies.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:40 pm

carolinaman wrote:
My oldest granddaughter graduated in December with 4 year degree in fashion design from Auburn. She found a job but not in the fashion design field. She is looking for her first fulltime job in fashion design. She had two internships while in school and was a good student. From what I understand, aside from NYC, these jobs tend to be scattered across US. She is from SC but willing to relocate to where the jobs are, including NYC. Do any Bogleheads have suggestions of where she might look?

Thanks for your help.
What is "not in the fashion design field"? Did the employers providing the internships hire any graduates following internships?

BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:15 pm

I live in NYC and know people right now who are trying to get into the field. I look at this field the same as the arts. You need to be in a big city to try and get your break. The competition is fierce and the business is cut throat. She will either thrive and make it with some level of success or eventually throw in the towel and get into a less competitive field. There are no easy answers. I wish her the best.

sd323232

Post by sd323232 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:30 pm

I agree with rest, cold reality is she may never get a job in her field that pays well. Best choice here is for her to go back to school and get real degree. She can do it now, or 5-10 years later. Only later is gonna be much harder. The sooner, the better.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:34 pm

I would be interested to know what percentage of those in the fashion design industry have degrees in the field. I would bet that it is very low.

Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:19 pm

Thanks for everyone's replies. I am not surprised at the responses and will share this my daughter who will share with my granddaughter. She currently has a job with a large department store selling high end women's clothing which she has a lot of experience with. She is making $36k which is not bad for this type of job and it pays the bills until she can find something in her field or decides to go back to school.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:10 pm

Different thought: why tell her to go back to school? Especially just to get married??

She has a job in a field adjacent to her degree. It isn't exactly what she wanted but a lot of new grads are good at figuring out what their dream is but not how to get there. How do fashion designers get hired? What's the career ladder look like? Where do people wind up?

Are they usually plucked out of nowhere in NC? (My guess is no.) The first thing she needs to figure out is what that path looks like. Where is her school's alumni network the strongest? (Atlanta, maybe?). What is she good at? Design? A good eye? If she's selling high end women's clothing, can she use her design knowledge to move into being a buyer? Go corporate? Can she write?

Because look, she's just out of school. She can go back and get an accounting degree, sure. If she's good at math. If she has money for more school right now. What's concerning is that she's six weeks out of school and thinking or being told that because she hasn't made it big already she should just go back to school. I mean, I'm sure someone will be happy to take her tuition but maybe she should try working the job she has while she figures out her next steps and where she wants to go?

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:20 pm

It's a retail sales job at a department store. Yeah, the pay is surprisingly good for that, but benefits are likely minimal, and I doubt there's much room for growth. If she were my daughter, I'd be encouraging her to set a rough time limit (maybe 18-24 months) on how long she'd aim for a more robust fashion design position (even if the pay was bad), and if things did not look promising at that time, to consider adding a degree with stronger employment prospects.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:20 pm

getthatmarshmallow wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:10 pm
Different thought: why tell her to go back to school? Especially just to get married??

She has a job in a field adjacent to her degree. It isn't exactly what she wanted but a lot of new grads are good at figuring out what their dream is but not how to get there. How do fashion designers get hired? What's the career ladder look like? Where do people wind up?

Are they usually plucked out of nowhere in NC? (My guess is no.) The first thing she needs to figure out is what that path looks like. Where is her school's alumni network the strongest? (Atlanta, maybe?). What is she good at? Design? A good eye? If she's selling high end women's clothing, can she use her design knowledge to move into being a buyer? Go corporate? Can she write?

Because look, she's just out of school. She can go back and get an accounting degree, sure. If she's good at math. If she has money for more school right now. What's concerning is that she's six weeks out of school and thinking or being told that because she hasn't made it big already she should just go back to school. I mean, I'm sure someone will be happy to take her tuition but maybe she should try working the job she has while she figures out her next steps and where she wants to go?
Great post. Totally agree.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:26 pm

Multiple strikes against her:

1) Graduated Auburn, in Alabama, far from fashion design hotspots
2) Auburn not providing much help
3) Graduated mid-year
4) Did not have a good job lined up before graduation
5) Internships were doing bridal gowns (I assume at bridal shops, rather than with an actual manufacturer?)
6) Major is likely a tough one generally, and also doesn't have obvious, better career prospect adjacent fields, nor an obvious path to promising grad school (ofc, she could still go to grad school, but probably in a less obvious path than Biology->med school, Poli Sci->law school, etc.)

Anyways, it doesn't sound so promising, but IF she either gets lucky in her field, or doesn't have such luck bur rapidly realizes that there are better alternatives, then it doesn't have to be so long term damaging.

Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:39 am

Great post! I think it is too early to push career change for her. She needs some time to pursue her dream, but she needs to be aware of the challenges to be successful in fashion design. Her parents recognized this from the beginning but she is very headstrong and determined. She is very talented. She could probably make a living as a photographer. She was photographer for her HS newspaper her junior year and became co-editor her senior year. Their school newspaper was more like a small town newspaper (HS had 4,000 students) and was recognized as the best in the South and one of the best in US.

I think she could be really good as a graphics designer, given her computer skills and artistic design ability. I have encouraged her to consider that in the past but so far no go. She could probably earn a minor in graphics design with a little more school.

But it is her career and she is the one that will have to decide what she is going to do.

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:54 am

carolinaman wrote:

Thanks for your help.
Yes, she should look for another degree as she wasted four years in her useless degree.

hand

Post by hand » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:14 am

What about actually designing / producing / marketing / selling something... there's a cost and a real risk of failure, but arguably better than the guarentee of mediocracy in retail sales when young.

FUBU (a large clothing brand) was famously started by Daymond John with a bunch of hats and some hustle - I'm sure there are plenty of other similar stories as the barriers to entry aren't high.

JPH

Post by JPH » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:37 am

I know a young lady who went to Los Angeles and worked as a costume designer for stage plays and movies. She also did some custom wedding gowns.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

slick_dealer_05

Post by slick_dealer_05 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:57 am

Fashion design degree wont get her anywhere...but I guess u knew it 4 years back.

Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:03 am

hand wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:14 am
What about actually designing / producing / marketing / selling something... there's a cost and a real risk of failure, but arguably better than the guarentee of mediocracy in retail sales when young.

FUBU (a large clothing brand) was famously started by Daymond John with a bunch of hats and some hustle - I'm sure there are plenty of other similar stories as the barriers to entry aren't high.
I have thought the same thing. I have seen some of her designs and they are really very attractive. She could design items and have samples of them. She could then try to sell these ideas to women's clothing store. There are a lot of boutiques in and around major cities who could be a market for them. Of course, she would need a plan to produce clothing if she sells it, most likely outsourcing manufacture of the clothing. This could be done on the side while she still has a day job. If successful, she could do it fulltime. I do not believe this approach would take a lot of capital to begin with.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:05 am

carolinaman wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:39 am

Great post! I think it is too early to push career change for her. She needs some time to pursue her dream, but she needs to be aware of the challenges to be successful in fashion design. Her parents recognized this from the beginning but she is very headstrong and determined. She is very talented. She could probably make a living as a photographer. She was photographer for her HS newspaper her junior year and became co-editor her senior year. Their school newspaper was more like a small town newspaper (HS had 4,000 students) and was recognized as the best in the South and one of the best in US.

I think she could be really good as a graphics designer, given her computer skills and artistic design ability. I have encouraged her to consider that in the past but so far no go. She could probably earn a minor in graphics design with a little more school.

But it is her career and she is the one that will have to decide what she is going to do.
Keep in mind, too, that the career path might wind up being fine and nothing to do with fashion. My BIL studied theater design in college. He now designs..... fire suppression systems. This was nothing he planned for, but he knew AutoCAD, found a job and turned it into a career.

The thing she needs now is work experience, not just because it's fine to follow dreams, but because she needs to get a sense of work skills and what she knows. She's only going to know the challenges if she takes a shot. She very well could wind up doing graphic design without any more school because she's basically right now a very specialized kind of graphic designer. I'm a college professor, and even as specialized as my line of work is - I literally need my degree to qualify for my job - almost none of my actual job is exactly what I studied at school.

sreynard

Post by sreynard » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:49 am

Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:05 am
carolinaman wrote:

Keep in mind, too, that the career path might wind up being fine and nothing to do with fashion. My BIL studied theater design in college. He now designs..... fire suppression systems. This was nothing he planned for, but he knew AutoCAD, found a job and turned it into a career.

The thing she needs now is work experience, not just because it's fine to follow dreams, but because she needs to get a sense of work skills and what she knows. She's only going to know the challenges if she takes a shot. She very well could wind up doing graphic design without any more school because she's basically right now a very specialized kind of graphic designer. I'm a college professor, and even as specialized as my line of work is - I literally need my degree to qualify for my job - almost none of my actual job is exactly what I studied at school.
That's a thought. She could go back to school, get an advanced design degree, and become a college professor teaching other people that will never get a fashion design job. :shock:

Most people don't actually appreciate advice and will do what they had already decided regardless, but if they ask, I have three about college:
1. Don't pick a career where the only job available is to teach other people that subject. French medieval literature comes to mind.
2. Figure out where you are going to work and what you will be doing before spending four or more years of your life preparing for it.
3. Don't over specialize for a Bachelor's degree. You have little idea what a company is actually going to need, so it increases your chances by knowing how to do many jobs in your field. It's generally easier to move around once your inside the company. Get additional training once you figure what you really want/need.

If she is really good at sewing, she may be able to get a job at an alterations/custom clothing shop. Getting a reputation making custom clothing for the local trophy wives could lead to a successful career in fashion design. Many rich want something special that's not off the shelf. Though she may end up making lots of silk pajamas... High risk, but it could lead her to exactly what she's interested in.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:54 am

carolinaman wrote:

Exactly. And on the opposite side, I would bet that the huge majority of those actually designing clothing for a living do not have a degree in fashion design. She has undoubtedly developed some skills that are valuable, probably the easiest way to monetize them is in a different industry.

I'm a PhD exercise physiologist, I dreamed of being the strength coach for a professional NFL/NBA team, but ultimately ended up in a niche health industry where almost all my colleagues are chemists and biologists. I never actually took a single chemistry class in college, but now I've been a contributing author in two chemistry texts and co-authored an industry book. 11yrs of exercise physiology/kinesiology/biomechanics/nutrition science education taught me how to read, evaluate, and interpret science and those are the skills which have provided me a pretty great career. There are a million careers where people need "design" skills, the "fashion" part probably is of little relevance.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:56 am

sreynard wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:49 am
carolinaman wrote:

That's a thought. She could go back to school, get an advanced design degree, and become a college professor teaching other people that will never get a fashion design job. :shock:

Most people don't actually appreciate advice and will do what they had already decided regardless, but if they ask, I have three about college:
1. Don't pick a career where the only job available is to teach other people that subject. French medieval literature comes to mind.
2. Figure out where you are going to work and what you will be doing before spending four or more years of your life preparing for it.
3. Don't over specialize for a Bachelor's degree. You have little idea what a company is actually going to need, so it increases your chances by
knowing how to do many jobs in your field. It's generally easier to move around once your inside the company. Get additional training once you figure what you really want/need.
This is pretty much what I have told all my younger siblings and relatives/friends, some of them obviously didn't listen.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:09 am

Finding jobs after graduation is what internships are for. I assume she talked to her contacts from the internships? Even if she doesn’t want to do bridal for a career, at this point she just needs a job anywhere in the field.

The other thing is that in fields like that, the best path is often to become an entrepreneur. I know exactly three people with fashion design backgrounds. One designed and made the custom outfits we wore for our wedding. The second is a costume designer for several local theaters. The third just sold her maternity underwear business to a bigger fashion house.

TSquare

Post by TSquare » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:26 am

So many classic boglehead replies here. Good grief people... Throw in the towel after 6 weeks? Go back to school for STEM or accounting?!

OP, I wish the best of luck to your granddaughter, and hope she can make her mark in her chosen field.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:44 am

Oh, another thing...

One of mine graduated with an equally “useless” degree. Digital animation. Seriously. Who does that? I doubt there are more than a few hundred jobs as animators in the entire country. She was brilliant and creative and had a scholarship, but we figured she would be waiting tables forever.

Anyway, for the first 2 years after graduation, she and several of her similarly underemployed animator friends lived together really cheaply in a house near campus, working low wage jobs and working together on passion projects to build their portfolios. The kids created some interesting work that maybe a dozen people ever saw, but my kid leveraged that into a job with one of the major animation houses.

Honestly, if we had told her what to do and she listened to us, she would have become a middle school art teacher or something. But she worked it out for herself better than we ever could have for her.

ohai

Post by ohai » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:46 am

TSquare wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:26 am
So many classic boglehead replies here. Good grief people... Throw in the towel after 6 weeks? Go back to school for STEM or accounting?!

OP, I wish the best of luck to your granddaughter, and hope she can make her mark in her chosen field.
They are just being practical. What is the best actual suggestion otherwise? From above, no one has even proposed a possible non-retail job that uses that degree, let alone how to get such a job.

If you ask me, the suggestions to get another degree are well justified. To most employers, the fashion degree will be like not having a degree. If you didn't have a college degree at that age and had the means, you'd probably decide to get one. Grand daughter can quite possibly re-enroll at Auburn and spend 1-2 years getting a complementary degree in something practical that will create a marketable package with the fashion degree.

FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:08 pm

GL OP, I know plenty of individuals that have received somewhat watered down degrees that end up going back to school to actually make a real living. My cousing majored in womens studies at NYU, couldnt find a job that paid more then minimum wage. Ending up going to nursing school. Another friend majored in dance, she couldnt find a job as well, not sure what happened to her. This is the unfortunate state of affairs we live in. Colleges gladly accept your tution ( mostly funded via loans) knowing full well you will not land a job or have a career once graudating. The media ridicules finance and other professions yet turns a blind eye to the college system that churns out kids with useless skill sets.

queso

Post by queso » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:09 pm

Wish I had a success story to counter all the negative ones, but I don't...well, I sort of do. I have a family member that wanted to do fashion design and her father (a retired engineer and the guy footing the bill) said that was fine with him as long as she selected another major from either the business or engineering school and did a dual. She picked business and worked for a large retailer for a couple of years after school, before moving into a management consulting firm. She's doing quite well now, but not doing anything with her fashion degree (except shopping at Nordstrom). :happy

CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:21 pm

Speaking as a person with an arts degree who ended up in STEM professionally, I don't agree with the assumption that college should be a vocational training program. Yes, the kid who graduates with a degree in cultural studies or arts or a 'soft' field is going to have a harder time finding a job. But the kids have certainly heard that already. And the schools aren't going to dissuade them from pursuing these degrees because (1) the prevailing institutional bias towards getting as many kids engaged in education as possible using fuzzy appealing programs and (2) the schools need the money.

With all that said, I'm a believer in any kind of advanced training. Arts education (or fashion, in this case) can be a transformative experience for kids if that's what gets them going, gets them engaged, gets them thinking and applying themselves. And as mentioned by many previous posters, what a kid does at 22 after college can and will change as they settle into adulthood and a career.

So I'm not hard on the arts kids at all. They chose a harder path economically but one that may be the right fit for them personally. And everyone figures it out one way or another eventually.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:44 pm

sreynard wrote:
carolinaman wrote:

3. Don't over specialize for a Bachelor's degree. You have little idea what a company is actually going to need, so it increases your chances by knowing how to do many jobs in your field. It's generally easier to move around once your inside the company. Get additional training once you figure what you really want/need.

If she is really good at sewing, she may be able to get a job at an alterations/custom clothing shop. Getting a reputation making custom clothing for the local trophy wives could lead to a successful career in fashion design. Many rich want something special that's not off the shelf. Though she may end up making lots of silk pajamas... High risk, but it could lead her to exactly what she's interested in.
I think you read the opposite of what I said. I did not say to get a PhD in fashion design. I said that even people who need PhDs for their jobs will find their education doesn't line up exactly with what they do. People who succeed need not to quit when they're not handed their dream job six weeks after graduating off semester.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:51 pm

queso wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:09 pm
Wish I had a success story to counter all the negative ones, but I don't...well, I sort of do. I have a family member that wanted to do fashion design and her father (a retired engineer and the guy footing the bill) said that was fine with him as long as she selected another major from either the business or engineering school and did a dual. She picked business and worked for a large retailer for a couple of years after school, before moving into a management consulting firm. She's doing quite well now, but not doing anything with her fashion degree (except shopping at Nordstrom). :happy
See, I don't see that as a failure. (Dual humanities/tech myself.) She studied something she loved and had a good backup plan, and lots of people don't use exactly their degree. One of my siblings has a theology degree and works in NoVA doing stuff for State she can't talk about. Maybe she should have majored in "I will get a job in DC" but seems to be doing just fine midcareer.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:53 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:54 am
carolinaman wrote:

Exactly. And on the opposite side, I would bet that the huge majority of those actually designing clothing for a living do not have a degree in fashion design. She has undoubtedly developed some skills that are valuable, probably the easiest way to monetize them is in a different industry.

I'm a PhD exercise physiologist, I dreamed of being the strength coach for a professional NFL/NBA team, but ultimately ended up in a niche health industry where almost all my colleagues are chemists and biologists. I never actually took a single chemistry class in college, but now I've been a contributing author in two chemistry texts and co-authored an industry book. 11yrs of exercise physiology/kinesiology/biomechanics/nutrition science education taught me how to read, evaluate, and interpret science and those are the skills which have provided me a pretty great career. There are a million careers where people need "design" skills, the "fashion" part probably is of little relevance.
And you're not using your degree because it doesn't say Coach on the wall!!!! :wink: Maybe you should go back to school.

sreynard

Post by sreynard » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:54 pm

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:44 pm
sreynard wrote:
carolinaman wrote:

I think you read the opposite of what I said. I did not say to get a PhD in fashion design. I said that even people who need PhDs for their jobs will find their education doesn't line up exactly with what they do. People who succeed need not to quit when they're not handed their dream job six weeks after graduating off semester.
Sorry, I shouldn't have suggested that you wrote anything like that. Rather, I had the thought while reading that you are a college professor. Sorry about that!

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:12 pm

sreynard wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:54 pm
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:44 pm
sreynard wrote:
carolinaman wrote:

Sorry, I shouldn't have suggested that you wrote anything like that. Rather, I had the thought while reading that you are a college professor. Sorry about that!
:). Ah, I see. Yeah I wouldn't recommend a PhD for most either. Too much of a gamble. I joke I've been just good enough not to wash out and cash in on my (sadly out of date) programming skills.

ohai

Post by ohai » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:27 pm

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:51 pm

Instead of being a positive example for fashion degrees, this only reinforces the argument that she should cut her losses and go back to school to get a more marketable degree.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:56 pm

You need to get your grand daughter to pack up and move to Los Angeles. I know there are tons of fashion related jobs all over the place. Who do you think makes all those elaborate clothes and costumes? They need her skills in the movie studios and game studios and the ad agencies and the clothing design shops and export/import fashion businesses all over LA. Yes she will probably have to work for near minimum wage for 1-2 years. And yes she will probably have to sew wedding dresses or wait tables or tend bar to make enough money to live there during that time. But she should be able to finds places that fit her well after a while that pay a better wage. And if she does not like LA she can also look at jobs in Las Vegas for the various stage acts or she can move to New York and look for fashion or AD agency work there. Just get her to move and be aggressive in finding a job...

Good Luck.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:32 pm

Deblog wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:45 am
LifeIsGood wrote:
Same with my daughter. She did fashion merchandising but since I was paying for school I told her she had to double major as I would not pay that kind of money for just a fashion degree. She got 2 BS degrees, fashion merchandising and accounting. Figured accounting would be a good tie in to merchandising. Only job offers in fashion were low paying assistant store managers. Much better job offer in accounting and 5 years in doing pretty well. Class mates in fashion have struggled in New York getting laid off and struggling to find other jobs.
While your story is probably the reality for a vast majority of fashion students, I have a success story.

My cousin's wife had a good job in accounting which she quit after she got married. She joined FIDM and now designs swim wear for a company in SoCal. After 15 years in the industry, I think she makes about $110-120k. She's very happy with her choice.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:37 pm

I kinda agree with btenny. If she's serious about breaking into the industry, she needs to be living where the industry IS.

Somebody in need of an entry level fashion employee - say a studio in Los Angeles, is not going to want to fly someone in from Alabama to interview for the $15/hour position, and probably not be fully comfortable with a video interview either. Milk the family contact lists for a friend or relative in the LA area (or NYC), get the kid to move there, hopefully couch surf or stay in a spare bedroom for a few weeks (at least until she can get a stable apartment with roommates), get a waitressing or temp job with flexible hours, then use the downtime to hustle for work in her desired career. Or, maybe go out with a plan to spend 4-6 weeks looking for the fashion design stuff without having to waitress, but fall back on waitressing after 4-6 weeks if the fashion stuff doesn't kick in right away.

Then, give the whole thing 12-18 months, and if things aren't looking promising, reconsider career path and educational possibilities...