Best Oil?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OldBallCoach

Best Oil?

Post by OldBallCoach » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:21 am

Does anyone have a link to research showing what the best oil is for normal street driving car/suv...I have used Mobil One for as long as I can remember and my LC went into Toyota yesterday for its normal 10K service and they told he they were switching to using Pennzoil Pure synthetic as it was a natural gas product and they believe it is a better product. Well I said that thats cool, but fill my baby with Mobil One this time and let me do some research. They did still have some Mobil One in stock in bottles which they used this time but I am wondering...anyone have any data on this? My go to for the past 800-900K has been Mobil One 5w30 every 10K in my LandCruisers and they have worked perfectly...never an issue...same with DW 4Runner..so..do I cave or just tell them to go fetch me some Mobil One going forward ( which they have said they will do if I insist. ) They did the other normal 10K tire rotations, and a detail for me as usual...great serivce as they pick up and deliver and I dont want to be a pain in the ass if not needed...thoughts?

Hogan773

Re: Best Oil?

Post by Hogan773 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:26 am

If you want to go down the rabbit hole on OIL, go visit the forums at Bobistheoilguy

Endless debates about oil, filters, etc

My conclusion is that as long as you are using the correct SAE weight then any synthetic oil is fine. Costco now sells full synthetic oil for around $15 for a 5qt jug (2pack). I use Mobil1 when I can buy it with a rebate from Walmart or something. My sense is that most good engines will last for 300K miles whether you use X or Y or Z synthetic oil.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:31 am

There is no "best" oil.

I go for best value that meets the car manufacturer's spec. For my VW, which needs VW 502 oil, the above mention of Mobil 1. I buy it when it is on sale at either Costco or Walmart AND Mobil is offering their $12/5qt rebate. Makes it the best value for my vehicle, by far.

Prior to this vehicle, pretty much any oil worked for our cars. I again would just purchase based on sale and rebates and many, many times you could get a synthetic oil for free or nearly free after rebates. That's when you stock up and keep a few oil changes worth in the garage. The BITOG sale/deal forum is great for finding those deals.

Pennzoil is a great oil. I have and would use it without reservations. Your LC will run great on pretty much anything, though. Any major brand will be fine. A full synthetic should get you 10k miles without worry. If my smaller turbo charged direct injection four-cylinder can do 10k, your V8 will easily.

queso

Post by queso » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:16 pm

Oh no...an oil thread. These never go well. That being said, I think I am going to try the new Kirkland oil as soon as I finish the two remaining boxes of Mobil 1 I have in the garage.

flyphotoguy

Post by flyphotoguy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:31 pm

check out youtube vids, there's a lot of motor oil testing that you may be interested in watching. In summary though as long as it passes the standards you should be good. The only time you might consider something extra special is if you're pushing the car to the limit like racing, or drive in extreme temperatures (hot/cold) / conditions (a lot of stop and go,very dirty or dusty environment/maybe lots of climbing and descending?).

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:38 pm

Use any quality full synthetic that has the certifications required by your vehicle manufacturer. Some examples of excellent oils:

Mobil 1
Castrol Edge
Penzoil Platinum
Amsoil Signature
Motul
Redline

This is not an exhaustive list, there are loads of others. I've used Amsoil in most of my cars for many years, and just put Castrol Edge 0W40 in the wife's Q7 because of the high PAO content and low cost ($25/5 quarts). But that's really splitting hairs. They're all pretty great.

As previously mentioned, browsing or searching on bob is the oil guy will let you go WAY down the rabbit hole.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:47 pm

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 5W-30
- Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
- Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
- Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:49 pm

Depends on the car. If you've got a turbo performance car, Mobil 1 is junk. It shears too easily. If it's a NA car of some overly big displacement (V6 or V8) that uses regular gas for normal street use, use Amazon Basics for cheap. Or go with the Pennzoil "fracking excess" oil if you have someone else do oil changes for you.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:27 pm

Mobil one in the correct weight and changed as the manufacturer recommends is fine for a toyota. The engine will live just as long as on any other oil. Honestly people really overthink motor oil for their boring vehicles.

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:58 pm

Extra-virgin olive oil. Peanut oil. Sewing machine oil. Penetrating oil. Whale oil.

Those are not good choices.

Beyond that, choose a motor oil of the viscosity recommended by and that meets the specification requirement of the car manufacturer. If the owner's manual says 0W-20, use that viscosity. If the manual specifies Dexos 2 or API SN certification, check the bottle for that. Or you can spend a whole bunch of time listening to ads and reading that oil forum trying to optimize something that doesn't need to be optimized. Good luck.
Semper Augustus

Topic Author
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:52 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:38 pm
Use any quality full synthetic that has the certifications required by your vehicle manufacturer. Some examples of excellent oils:

Mobil 1
Castrol Edge
Penzoil Platinum
Amsoil Signature
Motul
Redline

This is not an exhaustive list, there are loads of others. I've used Amsoil in most of my cars for many years, and just put Castrol Edge 0W40 in the wife's Q7 because of the high PAO content and low cost ($25/5 quarts). But that's really splitting hairs. They're all pretty great.

As previously mentioned, browsing or searching on bob is the oil guy will let you go WAY down the rabbit hole.
Yea I took a quick trip down that hole...LOL...I know I use Mobil One 0w40 in my GTR and after reading some of the materials on that site I am just gonna ask the dealership to stay with what has worked in my past few 300K plus LCs and throw in the Mobil One....Thanks for all you thoughts...

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:48 pm

I recently did some research prior to the first change in my car that has direct injection.

I learned that lower volatility oil is recommended to reduce deposits on intake valves. Speaking generically, the "european formula" oils meet that requirement.

For your LC, this isn't a consideration.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:31 pm

I don't know about Toyotas but if there are any certifications an oil needs to have as required by the engine, & an oil meets them, just go from there. For example, GM's Dexos standard, Mobile, Pennzoil, Amazon, Walmart/SuperTech, Kirkland/Costco all meet it. There may be minute differences, but it is not likely the common man & his/her vehicle will be impacted by those differences.

Heck, I even make my own Franken-brand of oils. I had various weights of various brands, & mixed them until I got the weights I needed. Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Kendall, 0w-20 up to 5w-50 & 10w-40. I made some 5w-30 out of it.

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:47 am

Rural King has the absolute cheapest oil (synthetic or regular) I can find around. I didn't notice a change moving from Mobil1 to it.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:59 am

Cubicle wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:31 pm
Heck, I even make my own Franken-brand of oils. I had various weights of various brands, & mixed them until I got the weights I needed. Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Kendall, 0w-20 up to 5w-50 & 10w-40. I made some 5w-30 out of it.
A long time ago, someone from the industry whose opinion I respect told me "you can mix weights, but you should never mix brands". This is because the additive packages are different and might not play well with one another.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:52 am

Pennzoil is good. It's one of the few oils that meets Volvo's stricter Euro-spec.

For our other cars I use Mobil1 (from Costco or Walmart.)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:55 am

IMHO whatever oil is the factory recommended one from the start, then don't change it.
IE: Mobil One 0-20 full synthetic or OEM Toyota oil (if dealer serviced) for my Toyota Tundra 5.8L

There has been mention on car forums about switching from higher viscosity regular motor oil on older vehicles to full synthetic resulting in gasket seal leaks.

OTOH: I have always changed the oil on my trucks regularly and with the best products, but DW takes her used cars to any quick oil change place with a discount. (not the latest new one though) And, all our cars seem to survive. Go figure. . . . . . :oops:

I do occasionally use the oil lab diagnostic services available online and they are reassuring that I'm doing things right.

Actionably: The "best oil filter" might be as important as "the best oil".

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:15 am

Full synthetic oil gets my vote. As far as brand goes, I’m not particular and go with what my mechanic recommends.

If you’re racing on the track you’ll want to figure out which oil is the best for those temps.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Topic Author
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:17 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:55 am
IMHO whatever oil is the factory recommended one from the start, then don't change it.
IE: Mobil One 0-20 full synthetic or OEM Toyota oil (if dealer serviced) for my Toyota Tundra 5.8L

There has been mention on car forums about switching from higher viscosity regular motor oil on older vehicles to full synthetic resulting in gasket seal leaks.

OTOH: I have always changed the oil on my trucks regularly and with the best products, but DW takes her used cars to any quick oil change place with a discount. (not the latest new one though) And, all our cars seem to survive. Go figure. . . . . . :oops:

I do occasionally use the oil lab diagnostic services available online and they are reassuring that I'm doing things right.

Let me clarify...I am going to use the 0w20 weight as they recommend but I am going to use Mobil One Extended Full synthetic instead of the Pennzoil blend synthetic that the dealer is now using. I do oil samples every 50K as part of their service package. Kinda interesting to see how these gas guzzling V8s hold up...LOL..knock on wood but in 1.2 Million miles of driving these over my last 5 LCs I have never touched an engine repair, timing belts and fluid changes seem to do the job. You will want a very good gas rebate card as well...! :D

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:29 am

As someone that also frequents automotive forums, when I saw the topic of this thread I had to check my calendar to make sure that it was not April 1.

Lookingforanswers

Post by Lookingforanswers » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:38 am

Picking motor oils for car is simple. Debating the proper oil and technique for lubricating a bicycle chain is truly controversial and will set off Internet debates like nothing else.

Lookingforanswers

Post by Lookingforanswers » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:38 am

Picking motor oils for car is simple. Debating the proper oil and technique for lubricating a bicycle chain is truly controversial and will set off Internet debates like nothing else.

Lookingforanswers

Post by Lookingforanswers » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:39 am

chevca

Post by chevca » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:40 am

Change the oil yourself and use whatever you like. :happy

Poorman

Post by Poorman » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:41 am

5 quarts full synthetic Walmart. $15. Paying more than that for "superior synthetic oil" is idiotic.

ochotona

Post by ochotona » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:45 am

Poorman wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:41 am
5 quarts full synthetic Walmart. $15. Paying more than that for "superior synthetic oil" is idiotic.
I buy Walmart oil, it has the highest API rating, it's very well priced.
Peter W., MBA, CRPC

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:46 am

Shell V-Power gets slightly better mileage as compared with other premium brands for vehicles requiring high octane fuel. I try to fill with Shell for my M2.

Otherwise, I don't think it makes any difference.

myleaf

Post by myleaf » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:59 am

I have been very interested in engine oil for many years now.
I prefer Mobil1 but would not hesitate to use a cheaper full synthetic such as walmart supertech.
I do not try to extend my oil change intervals, just change it at the car manufacturer's interval.
But with that said, the quality and performance of engine oil has really improved over the years.
If you are really interested in trying to find the best oil for your vehicle and driving conditions, you should buy a particular oil, and do a used oil analysis.
I have used blackstone labs. They breakout the concentration of various wear metals in you engine oil, as well as other contaminates that could indicate engine problems.
"Never met an electron I did not like"

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:21 pm

OldBallCoach wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:17 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:55 am

Let me clarify...I am going to use the 0w20 weight as they recommend but I am going to use Mobil One Extended Full synthetic instead of the Pennzoil blend synthetic that the dealer is now using. I do oil samples every 50K as part of their service package. Kinda interesting to see how these gas guzzling V8s hold up...LOL..knock on wood but in 1.2 Million miles of driving these over my last 5 LCs I have never touched an engine repair, timing belts and fluid changes seem to do the job. You will want a very good gas rebate card as well...! :D
What is the difference between Mobil One "Extended" vs not extended Full Synthetic oil?

I did an oil analysis on my Tundra used oil awhile back (Blackstone Labs) and the recommendation was that I could change my oil every 12,000 miles or more and it would be fine and that at every 10k was fine but not needed.
What are your thoughts on this?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:18 pm

Poorman wrote:
Walmart's "Super Tech" doesn't make an oil that's compatible with either of our cars. So I guess I will continue being an idiot...

Some weights carry GM's Dexos certification, NONE of them carry any other manufacturer certification as far as I can tell.

Poorman

Post by Poorman » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:45 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:18 pm
Poorman wrote:
Walmart's "Super Tech" doesn't make an oil that's compatible with either of our cars. So I guess I will continue being an idiot...

Some weights carry GM's Dexos certification, NONE of them carry any other manufacturer certification as far as I can tell.
What oil does it take?? Lol. My subaru took 0W20. My focus takes 5W20.
Last edited by Poorman on Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:47 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Poorman wrote:

Supertech meets API SN, SM, SL and ISLAC GF-5, GF-4 requirements, which should cover most cars, though not all. The ones I checked also meet SN plus, in case you have a turbocharged gasoline direct injected system. What does your car manufacturer specify?
Semper Augustus

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:54 pm

In order to have a "best" oil for your daily driver vehicle, you'd likely have to compile data for your specific engine, in your climate, with your usage, and then send each result off to a lab to see which holds up better long-term for you. At the end of the day, I think every oil sold on the auto store shelf meets industry specs.

I personally use Pennzoil Platinum Full synthetic (giant yellow bottle), and I have never had issues. It's gotten good reviews at BobIstheOilGuy.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:10 pm

Teague wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:47 pm
lazydavid wrote:
Poorman wrote:

Supertech meets API SN, SM, SL and ISLAC GF-5, GF-4 requirements, which should cover most cars, though not all. The ones I checked also meet SN plus, in case you have a turbocharged gasoline direct injected system. What does your car manufacturer specify?
My example: VW - the largest worldwide automaker. My 2016 Golf takes a VW 502 oil, as do many VWs (TDI are even more specific). I do not believe that Kirkland or Supertech come in VW 502 for $15/jug. Mobil 1 0w40 is $22.88 on sale often, plus $12 rebate, limit two per household. Meets a more stringent spec and is cheaper = win, win. Just need to be patient for the sale and rebate combo, which happens twice per year usually.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:04 pm

Poorman wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:45 pm
One takes 5W40 that meets the BMW LL04 spec. The other takes 5W40 or 0W40 that meets the VW 502.00 spec.

Walmart makes zero oils in those weights.
Walmart makes zero oils that meets those specs. Or specs published by any other manufacturer not named GM, for that matter. And some of their oils don't even meet GM standard.

Poorman

Post by Poorman » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:05 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:04 pm
Poorman wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:45 pm
One takes 5W40 that meets the BMW LL04 spec. The other takes 5W40 or 0W40 that meets the VW 502.00 spec.

Walmart makes zero oils in those weights.
Walmart makes zero oils that meets those specs. Or specs published by any other manufacturer not named GM, for that matter. And some of their oils don't even meet GM standard.
Guess you get the shaft twice when you buy bmw

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:25 pm

Poorman wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:05 pm
Yeah it costs me an extra $10 per oil change, the horrors! Oh wait, the oil change interval is longer than most cars, so it's actually cheaper. :P

Either way, the cumulative $400 that the oil changes cost me over 12 years and 158k miles on my previous BMW isn't delaying my retirement any.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:45 pm

Mobil 1.

FWIW, my dad used that exclusively in his 2001 Pontiac Firebird. After over 200k miles, it still had factory compression.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Poorman

Post by Poorman » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:00 am

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:25 pm
Poorman wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:05 pm
Yeah it costs me an extra $10 per oil change, the horrors! Oh wait, the oil change interval is longer than most cars, so it's actually cheaper. :P

Either way, the cumulative $400 that the oil changes cost me over 12 years and 158k miles on my previous BMW isn't delaying my retirement any.
I'd rather retire early.

Let's see. I'm 30 years from retirement. At 7.2% interest. A bmw is about 3x the price of my current new car. Which would be an extra 30k

30k at 7.2% over 30 years is 240k. And that's if you only buy one and never trade...
Tabs are 3x the price, accumulated over 30 years
Depreciation is more x30 years
Repairs out of warranty at least 2x the price
Tires cost more to replace
My oil changes would be $285 over that.

I have citizenship in Europe and U.S. Bmw in Belgium is like ford or chevy here. Super affordable like our brands. Then there's Taiwan where they think Chrysler is a luxury vehicle. All just a marketing gimmick.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:59 am

an oil thread.... :oops:

valleyrock

Post by valleyrock » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:59 am

I agree. Follow what's in the owner's manual. Make sure the oil meets the appropriate API service ratings. Don't use recycled oil. Dispose of the oil properly if you do it yourself.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:10 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:45 pm
Mobil 1.

FWIW, my dad used that exclusively in his 2001 Pontiac Firebird. After over 200k miles, it still had factory compression.
Impressive!

We had an old Dodge extended van with the 318 V8, besides daily driving, took the family cross country several times.
Compression in 3 cylinders was between 30-40 psi at about 160k miles. Regular "generic" oil changes for life of van after it left warranty.
Chugged it into a car dealer and traded it in.

j

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:32 am

queso wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:16 pm
Oh no...an oil thread. These never go well. That being said, I think I am going to try the new Kirkland oil as soon as I finish the two remaining boxes of Mobil 1 I have in the garage.
I have used everything from Walmart brand to Mobil1 but don't see how you can "try" an oil unless maybe you do an oil analysis. No matter how good or bad the oil is, you won't be able to tell until you've been using it for a very long time - and maybe not even then. So you have to hope for the best. Obviously none of the less established brands actually manufacture oil so for all we know they could be, at various times, identical to more established brands.

I'm not sure about the manufacturer certifications either. There is almost surely a cost to obtaining the certifications, no? So just because an oil doesn't meet a certain spec might not mean it actually doesn't, maybe.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:48 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:10 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Mobil 1.

Impressive!

We had an old Dodge extended van with the 318 V8, besides daily driving, took the family cross country several times.
Compression in 3 cylinders was between 30-40 psi at about 160k miles. Regular "generic" oil changes for life of van after it left warranty.

j
Interesting, even for old-tech engines I think it would have been unusual to have such dramatically low compression in just a few cylinders. It doesn't seem likely to have been oil / wear-related - more like something broke, like compression rings, or maybe burned valves?

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:49 am

I use Mobil 1 High Mileage Synthetic-no gasket leaks after switching from conventional Dino oil. So long as you use the same viscosity there should be no leaks - that story floating around is a myth. If the gasket is leaking it’s because age and condition of gaskets prior to the switch.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:54 am

tibbitts wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:48 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:10 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Mobil 1.

Impressive!

j
Interesting, even for old-tech engines I think it would have been unusual to have such dramatically low compression in just a few cylinders. It doesn't seem likely to have been oil / wear-related - more like something broke, like compression rings, or maybe burned valves?
40-80 psi in the other cylinders.
The motor was toast, beyond hospice.
160k very hard miles.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:11 am

Poorman wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:00 am
I'd rather retire early.

Let's see. I'm 30 years from retirement. At 7.2% interest. A bmw is about 3x the price of my current new car. Which would be an extra 30k at 7.2% over 30 years is 240k. And that's if you only buy one and never trade...
Which presupposes one makes it to retirement. I've been a car guy since forever, so if I had to spend over 1,000 hours a year for my entire life driving a sub-$15k crapbucket, I'd have steered myself into a bridge abutment by now. Retirement wouldn't even be a factor. But I genuinely enjoy driving my car every day, as I did with the previous one, even at the 12 year mark--I still miss it occasionally, even all these years later. So it's a quality of life factor (for me) more than anything else. I do genuinely get that there are people who don't care about cars though.

And the two that I've had so far have cost $34k and $38k respectively, so if we use 3x as the factor, that would put your new car at an even more dismal $11-12k. Besides, if I were to buy a third one in 3.5 years when I give my current one to my son, that will take me to my target retirement age, having spent a cumulative amount purchasing BMWs over my lifetime that is roughly equivalent to what I save every single year. An extra 2% per year is not going to move the needle all that much.
Poorman wrote:
Tabs are 3x the price, accumulated over 30 years
Not here, annual registration on a 1983 Ford Escort purchased for $300 is $151. Annual registration on a Koenigsegg Jesko purchased for $3M is....$151
Poorman wrote:
Depreciation is more x30 years
Double-entry accounting doesn't mean you get to record every cost twice. :P Either the cost is in the purchase, or in the depreciation, not both. Based on your post, I "lost" $34k when I bought my first car, and another $28k in depreciation, for a total cash loss of $62k.
Poorman wrote:
Repairs out of warranty at least 2x the price
Out of warranty repairs on my 2000 cost me a total of $160, from two incidents ($130 for a final stage resistor, $30 for VANOS seals). Toyota parts for my wife's previous Lexus (over a similar mileage range) ranged from $160-600 for each of five incidents.
Poorman wrote:
Tires cost more to replace
Fair enough. In my case, the gap is even wider than strictly necessary, because I choose tires based on fun factor, which further inflates the cost.
Poorman wrote:
My oil changes would be $285 over that.
$10 saved per year. Congrats! Compounded over 30 years at 7.2%, that's like $979! Of course, adjusted for inflation it's only $456. You can retire on Thursday at lunchtime instead of Friday afternoon. :)
Poorman wrote:
I have citizenship in Europe and U.S. Bmw in Belgium is like ford or chevy here. Super affordable like our brands.
Some are, yes. There are lots of models/variants that don't make it over here, but serve as economy cars across Europe, much like the small Toyotas/Nissans/etc people buy here. Can't really use Ford or Chevy for this comparison, since both have discontinued their entire sedan lineups. :)

But generally, Americans aren't interested in 1.6 liter diesel subcompacts that make 95hp. So not exactly apples to apples. And most/all of the fancier models sold here are also sold in Europe, where they're....not exactly cheap either.

IMO

Post by IMO » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:32 pm

Whenever oil threads come up, it always reminds me of the scene in Fletch:

https://youtu.be/pbWWxGmbS9s?t=53

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:49 pm

F150HD wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:59 am
an oil thread.... :oops:
Let's turn it into an oil FILTER thread and now get out the popcorn!

basspond

Post by basspond » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:01 pm

I know of an acquaintance who used his company's synthetic oil and had a car he could switch out the oil filter without draining the oil. He put over 100,000 miles on the oil with no engine issues. The synthetic oil will lubricate a long time, but the gunk that floats around in it will destroy your engine.