Cheap Black Only Printer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Cheap Black Only Printer

Post by Leesbro63 »

OK, I'm tired of feeding the HP ink beast. I'll keep my HP 8600Plus printer for those occasional times where I need color printing. But I'd like to buy a cheap black ink only printer that uses cheap black ink. Suggestions?
bluebolt

Re: Cheap Black Only Printer

Post by bluebolt »

Many people like the Brother monochrome laser printers.

viewtopic.php?t=268622
viewtopic.php?t=282422

More threads on this if you search also.
Watty

Post by Watty »

There are old threads on this that you can search for but I am very happy with my Brother laser printer the the limited printing that I do and they are often mentioned in the old threads.
Frugalbear

Post by Frugalbear »

Yes- Own two of those Brother Laser Printers. They are great!
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

I bought the Brother HL-L2350DW Laser Printer last year for exactly the reason you are looking. I have to say after years of owning HP printers, the simplicity and reliability of the Brother printers is a breath of fresh air. We own an a Brother Ink jet multi-function as well and am very happy.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

I bought my son an $80 Brother laser back in 2016 and it works like a peach. Probably not a 20,000 page a year workgroup printer, but certainly worth $80. He doesn't print often, but it's been three years and we've not yet replaced the toner cartridge.
Last edited by 8foot7 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

Another vote for Brother Laser printer, scanner. I have the DCP L-2540DW

I bought one for same reasons as you. It came to a head late one night when my inkjet printer wouldn't print something in black because I was out of red ink. I threw it in the trash on the spot.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Another vote for Brother monochrome lasers. For the price the amount of electronics, software, mechanics, glass and plastic one gets is quite amazing. Add in cheap refills, super reliable and often on sale for <$100.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

You may want to think about how to deal with the color printer. Ink cartridges keep track of both the amount of ink in them and the time from first use. You can use it once and think you're saving that color ink, using a laser for black and white and come back for a second color page a few months later and see the blinking empty symbol. With my printer, I ignore that and it will indeed keep printing (a Canon). I don't know what HP does. Probably shut down the process.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

retiringwhen wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:07 am I bought the Brother HL-L2350DW Laser Printer last year for exactly the reason you are looking. I have to say after years of owning HP printers, the simplicity and reliability of the Brother printers is a breath of fresh air. We own an a Brother Ink jet multi-function as well and am very happy.
I bought an HP laser to replace my brother inkjet for exactly those reasons. It has worked great. I don't think it was a brother issue. Inkjets just didn't work well for my usage cases.
jco

Post by jco »

I also have a couple of monochrome Brother laser printers. I've had mine for around 7 and 9 years, respectively.

Recommendation: Get one with copy/scan ability and wi-fi printing. Being able to scan stuff has been extremely helpful for me. The Wi-Fi printing allows you to print from anywhere in your house and put the printer pretty much wherever you want. Very convenient.
StaTiK

Post by StaTiK »

I got fed up with inkjet and bought a Brother monochrome wireless laser printer 7.5 years ago (according to Amazon order history). It's great and I'll never go back to inkjet. The only real issue I have is that my family has a few Chromebooks now and they do not support wifi printing to this model. I will likely replace it with a "cloud printing" model.

The timing works out, too, because I'm just now starting to get a black band across the top of the page indicating that a certain $100 part needs to be replaced. The black band isn't really even an issue for 90% of the printing I do but my kid not being able to print homework without a workaround is a hassle.

Buy a laser printer. Consider one that supports Google Cloud Print (or Apple AirPrint, etc).
"M is the amount of money you need to retire, Y is how many years you'll live, R is your future rate of return, and I is the future rate of inflation. Y, R, and I are unknown. Solve for M."
jco

Post by jco »

StaTiK wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:41 am Buy a laser printer. Consider one that supports Google Cloud Print (or Apple AirPrint, etc).
Google Cloud Print will be deprecated at the end of 2020. See https://9to5google.com/2019/11/21/googl ... dead-2020/
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Leesbro63 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:41 am OK, I'm tired of feeding the HP ink beast. I'll keep my HP 8600Plus printer for those occasional times where I need color printing. But I'd like to buy a cheap black ink only printer that uses cheap black ink. Suggestions?
We have 3 HP Laser printers (B&W) in our offices. One of them is well over 10 years old and runs daily.
Shop for printers that have economical laser ink cartridges that are easy to obtain.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

I bought a brother multifunction 2380DW probably 10 years ago and it has been great. Toner last forever, always works.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

+1 on a Brother Laser Printer.
Elena

Post by Elena »

I have been thinking about replacing my color printer/scanner (Brother) with a monocrome printer/scanner as well. I seldom print anything in color, but do use the scanner more often. I just with they were smaller. Flatbed scanners are indeed smaller, but once you combine both functions they all seem to get very big. A lot of space for the use I give it, and they all seem more or less the same size when one looks at the consumer ones.
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

Brother 2320D here. Under $100. Had it for a few years and it's solid as a rock. Didn't have to replenish the toner yet. Make sure you pick a model with duplex printing capability.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.

I also like my Brother printer. It's an HL-2280DW, and to their credit Brother provides downloadable drivers and instructions for getting the scanner portion working under Linux. :happy
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
StaTiK

Post by StaTiK »

jco wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:47 am Google Cloud Print will be deprecated at the end of 2020. See https://9to5google.com/2019/11/21/googl ... dead-2020/
Good to know, thank you!
"M is the amount of money you need to retire, Y is how many years you'll live, R is your future rate of return, and I is the future rate of inflation. Y, R, and I are unknown. Solve for M."
telemark

Post by telemark »

jco wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:23 am Recommendation: Get one with copy/scan ability and wi-fi printing. Being able to scan stuff has been extremely helpful for me. The Wi-Fi printing allows you to print from anywhere in your house and put the printer pretty much wherever you want. Very convenient.
And that's my cue to point out that the first part, printing from anywhere, can be done with any networked printer, no wi-fi required. The second part does require wi-fi.
LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney »

The Brother monochrome laser printers are where its at. However - spend the extra $10 or whatever for the wireless one. I'm consistently reminded of the downsides of not doing so every time I have to plug into my laptop to print.
ohai

Post by ohai »

Brother Printer is great. The only complaint I have is that their software is pretty bad and has a lot of wireless connection issues. You should download the Microsoft scanning program or another third party one, instead of using the clunky Brother program.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

I also have a Brother laser printer, and am very happy with its performance and cost.

However, I started looking at the newer models. They have started to chip the toners, to try to eliminate cheap clones. This didn't matter so much to me, because I still bought the Brother brand name toner, because their prices were still reasonable.

However, the new chipped cartridges cost more, and they report that they run out of toner well before they actually do. You can't run them until they're empty. There is a setting in the printer that allows you to continue printing after the toner out message occurs. In the newer models, that setting no longer exists.

In my current printer, a software update has occurred. Even if I tell my printer to continue printing after the toner out message is received, it will stop printing. This has made me very upset with Brother. They effectively sabotaged and reduced performance on a device that I've owned for years.

I will continue using my Brother until I run through all my toner, (which actually will be a few years) but I cannot recommend them anymore when they pull those types of shenanigans.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

OK, I'm the OP and just bought a Brother HLL2320DUS at Staples for $80. It "plugged and played" flawlessly! I probably should have done this years ago. Thank you all. Yeah, I know I probably could have gotten it cheaper online but I found it, they had it (I live right near a Staples) and I did it.
DWNY

Post by DWNY »

I think you'll like the Brother printer, no more ink drying up between print jobs, running out of one color, or just buying expensive ink refills. I've been B&W laser for years. The few times I need color I go to my local Staples store, 50 cents a page.

Regarding Staples, It's always worth checking prices on Amazon, Best Buy and Staples.com to look for a lower price and ask for a price match. I bought my last toner cartridge for $5 less with a price match to Staples.com.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

DWNY wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:18 pm I think you'll like the Brother printer, no more ink drying up between print jobs, running out of one color, or just buying expensive ink refills. I've been B&W laser for years. The few times I need color I go to my local Staples store, 50 cents a page.

Regarding Staples, It's always worth checking prices on Amazon, Best Buy and Staples.com to look for a lower price and ask for a price match. I bought my last toner cartridge for $5 less with a price match to Staples.com.
Good tip, thanks!