Do you buy plastic bags for your home trash bins?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
capitalhockey

Do you buy plastic bags for your home trash bins?

Post by capitalhockey »

My wife has a frugal habit she can't shake. For our home trash cans, she used the grocery plastic bags we get from our shopping trip. It's cost effective and allows multiple use of one item which is good for the environment. However, it's not pleasant on the eyes. The bags does not fit perfectly to our modern stainless steel trash cans which is visible outside and not hidden inside kitchen cabinets (too big to fit inside). You have to tie it down on the edges and you can see some portion of it sticking outside of the lid. We spent a good bit of money on remodeling to have a very nice kitchen....it just seem odd to have an ill-fitted bag for a trash can. My wife said I am quirky to have this bother me....I guess I am anal about design and fit. I am also responsible for taking out the trash at home so I guess I notice this on daily basis. Does this bother anyone else?

I work in an office environment where they hire some folks to come by every afternoon to vacuum and pick up trash bins. I noticed the cleaners use customized clear plastic bag for each type of trash bin size. They fit perfectly inside with no traces of it outside. I was thinking of buying something that fits our bin at home. Do you buy specialty trash bags for your home trash bins?
decapod10

Re: Do you buy plastic bags for your home trash bins?

Post by decapod10 »

We buy bags for the kitchen (13 gallon) and use grocery bags for the smaller trash cans (like in the bathroom), though we're supposed to be using reusable bags at the grocery store as they charge 10 cents per bag. So in theory we will run out of grocery bags, if I ever remember to bring bags to the grocery store and stop getting new ones, lol.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

decapod10 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:58 pm We buy bags for the kitchen (13 gallon) and use grocery bags for the smaller trash cans (like in the bathroom), though we're supposed to be using reusable bags at the grocery store as they charge 10 cents per bag. So in theory we will run out of grocery bags, if I ever remember to bring bags to the grocery store and stop getting new ones, lol.
kitchen 13 gallons at cosco
grocery bags for small thrash cans
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Yes, buy them from Costco.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

We buy the tall kitchen bags and reuse grocery bags for our small trash cans. I secure the grocery bags in the small cans with binder clips. We do use reusable bags for grocery shopping so sometimes we need to get recycled grocery bags for trash from MIL. We just started recycling other clean plastic wrap, bags, bubble wrap, etc. The plastic consumption in the US keeps growing and I think online shopping packaging is one of the reasons.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

We use purchased plastic bags. FWIW, our kitchen trash can is under the sink, so not very visible in any case.

My (late) mother-in-law used to do what the OP describes - use assorted "free" bags in the trash can(s). I agree, it looked untidy, and they were generally a poor fit. Luckily, my wife, MOSTLY, has not inherited this trait. She *does* however, save too many extra trash bags (from the grocery store or whatever) - stuffing them into a drawer to a silly extent. She also keeps way too many sturdier (reusable/purchased) bags laying about, but mostly in the laundry room, where they don't bother me much.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

We use 13 gallon bags for the trash bins (two in the garbage cabinet, one for trash, one for recycled items). Bathroom and my room have smaller wastebaskets with 10 gallon bags in them. My aides take out all the trash every day.

We used to have a larger trash bin at the end of our cabinets, but the remodel changed that. Very nice not seeing your trash bins. Who wants to look at your trash bins? Not interested, myself.

The grandchildren shamed us into starting recycling.

Broken Man 1999

ETA: We have scads of reusable bags the grocery store sells, as DW is always forgetting to take the ones she already has! :oops:
Last edited by Broken Man 1999 on Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

We use grocery bags for the little tiny waste bins in the bathrooms, and they actually work fairly well for that. I can't imagine trying to use one for a standard-sized kitchen garbage can. Both the garbage can and recycle bin (both identical cans) get standard kitchen garbage bags purchased from Costco or Sam's. It's $13 for 200. Probably the second cheapest consumable in our house (commercial coffee filters $7/1000 :) )

I would call it quirky to be so obsessive about saving 6.5 cents. :)
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

We also buy kitchen bags. For smaller trash cans in offices, bedrooms, and bathrooms we don't use anything - just wash them out when needed.
In any case - we can no longer use plastic grocery bags since they are banned at most places in our areas based upon town regulations/local-laws.
wootwoot

Post by wootwoot »

Yes, money well spent.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:13 pm We use grocery bags for the little tiny waste bins in the bathrooms, and they actually work fairly well for that.
My elderly parents were using the few plastic grocery bags they got every week as their trash bags but then their city banned them. Now they go out and buy them instead. Does buying them rather than get them as grocery bags help the environment? :)
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I don't think your preference is quirky. And if the trash is your job, I think you get the tie-breaking vote.

Things like tying down the edges - unnecessary and annoying. Nicely remodeled kitchen....trash cans that must sit in the open should not look ugly. And the grocery plastic bags leak liquids...and they are not big enough to hold much of anything.

Again, if you are the person dealing with all that, you should get what you want.

The grocery bags can go back to the grocery store for recycling. Better yet, buy her/yourself some nice re-usable bags for the grocery.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Like many above, we use tall kitchen bags for the main trash can and grocery bags for the bathroom/other small cans.

However, I'm considering a change.

I used to use most of the grocery bags for picking up our dog's waste on walks. A few months ago, I realized I've likely created thousands of impenetrable plastic bubbles of dog poop in the County's landfill. I discovered compostable pet waste bags on Amazon that weren't too expensive and have been happily using them ever since. We're trying to use up our existing stash of plastic grocery bags up on the bathroom trash can, but every so often I forget to bring reusable bags to the grocery store and end up bringing more home more than enough to replace what we use.

But, whenever the day comes that I've managed to go through this stash of plastic bags and I get my head on straight to remember to bring the reusables in the store with me, I have my eye on trying out similarly priced compostable small trash can bags on Amazon.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

I also just use plastic grocery bags.

I don’t think I have ever owned a trash can, so have no need for something sized to fit one.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I use the grocery bags and my brother still gets several newspapers a week. I got them and fold them and line the trash can. I do have a few large bags to use to dispose of some things when I have a dinner party.
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:16 pm
lazydavid wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:13 pm We use grocery bags for the little tiny waste bins in the bathrooms, and they actually work fairly well for that.
My elderly parents were using the few plastic grocery bags they got every week as their trash bags but then their city banned them. Now they go out and buy them instead. Does buying them rather than get them as grocery bags help the environment? :)
I've thought about that actually, and I think it probably does save some plastic. I've always brought in more grocery bags faster than I could use them for the garbage cans, though I'm not sure if that is typical. If I never got any grocery bags and only purchased garbage bags, we would probably use fewer bags overall.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

The correct answer is that you buy the scented trash bags so the house/apartment doesn't smell.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

This seems irrational and quirky on her part to me. I would buy the ones that fit.

13 gallon trash bags cost about a dollar a month. Financially, I'm guessing you both can swing it :)

If your wife wants to reduce plastic, I would recommend using reusable shopping bags.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

In a recent kitchen renovation I got an under-counter garbage cabinet that contains three plastic containers on a slide-out rack.

The three plastic containers fit the plastic garbage bags from the grocery store. The first one is garbage and the second is full of plastic garbage bags from the grocery.

So no, I don't buy bags.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

I can remember back in the early 1940's using grocery store paper bags to line kitchen trash cans. Much later I remember going to the grocery store plastic bags as feasible. Now we use the Costco 13-gallon plastic trash bags at the rate of 2 or 3 per week. Our kitchen trash can is in a drawer under the kitchen cabinetry out of site and smell.

We do recycle as much as we can though. Every Saturday morning I make a trip to a local elementary school where our city puts out four very large trash receptacles; one each for cardboard (has to be flattened out) , glass, metal & plastic, and paper. I keep those products awaiting recycling in paper bags or a plastic bin in the garage and just load them in the car trunk for the trip to the recycling site. Volume size our recycling materials are much greater than that we send to the dump each week via our garbage collection service. I do return the grocery store plastic bags for recycling every two weeks. Our grocery stores all have special receptacles to receive them.
Tom D.
1130Super

Post by 1130Super »

I also reuse grocery bags for garbage when possible. I think an unsightly bag is worth the fact that you are reusing a bag that will go in a landfill regardless.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

The only plastic bags that come into the house are the ones I buy for the kitchen trash bin. Our town does not permit stores to pack in store-supplied plastic bags. I fold over the top of the plastic bags so stuff doesn't show. That looks acceptable to me. I would use paper bags, but wet stuff winds up in the kitchen trash bin.

As for bathroom trash bins, I just wash them out. Those and nice wastebaskets I empty into grocery paper bags for disposal.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

MichCPA wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:43 pm The correct answer is that you buy the scented trash bags so the house/apartment doesn't smell.
Scented trash bags guarantee that the house/apartment smells.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I just bought a roll of 40 4-gal bags ($2.60 or so) for our small waste cans at Walmart to replace the grocery store bags we will no longer get after March 1 here in NY state. By new law grocery stores no longer may pack bought groceries in plastic bags, I noticed that the 4 gal bags fit those small cans at home much better, are bigger. We always reuse grocery bags.
BenBritt

Post by BenBritt »

Yes. Convient !
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

We purchase 13 gallon bags for everything that's non-burnable. The burnable stuff goes into a small can, which uses the grocery store type plastic bags, and then eventually to the burn barrel in the back yard. Ashes into the garden.
anon3838

Post by anon3838 »

I buy the ones that fit, but I dump the contents into the big bin that goes to the street so I’m reusing the same bag for many months until something leaks out.

Most of my waste is compostable or recyclable. If I have something that needs to go to the garbage, I make a special trip to the outside bin and toss it directly.
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

We buy bags only for the kitchen garbage and use the Kirkland Signature 13 gallon bags from Costco. For all other garbage receptacles in the house (i.e. bathrooms, home office, laundry room) we use shopping bags.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

The Costco 13-gallon bags are on coupon this month! I wouldn't use anything else. I have been using them for years and have literally never had a leak with one of these bags.

OP, I do use the occasional grocery sack to line bathroom wastebaskets which hide under the sink. Maybe your wife is willing to compromise with still doing that, but getting something better in the kitchen?
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

I get

13 gallon bags from Costco for my kitchen trash can.

4 gallon bags from Amazon (Teivio brand) for my bathroom small trash cans.

I used to have a mess of bags of all sizes, now I just keep these. Such a great and simple pleasure :)
targetconfusion

Post by targetconfusion »

AerialWombat wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:21 pm I don’t think I have ever owned a trash can, so have no need for something sized to fit one.
Wait.. what?
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

First world problem, no.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

In the house, we buy bags that fit. Grocery bags don’t come close to fitting. We dump the recycling out of the bag into the bin on the street, and reuse it a couple of times.

In the motorhome, we use grocery store bags when they’re available, because the handles hook over hooks we put on the outside of the trash can. But most places we go now charge for bags. So we usually buy bags that fit for the motorhome, too.

Back when we were swimming in plastic bags and we had a big dog, we used them for dog poop. Now we have a small dog, and we buy more appropriately sized bags for that.

We use reusable bags at the grocery store.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

targetconfusion wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:51 pm
AerialWombat wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:21 pm I don’t think I have ever owned a trash can, so have no need for something sized to fit one.
Wait.. what?
What?

I don't own trash cans, so there is no need to also buy plastic bags that are sized to fit said can. Just take the plastic grocery bag and splay it open on the counter. You can roll the rim down a few times to give it a little bit of stay. Or, use one of the handles to tie it around something else so it hangs.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

We buy trash bags for the kitchen. They are way bigger than what stores "give" you. Give is in quotes because stores do not give you bags here. You pay a tax to get them. We use reusable bags whenever possible to avoid the tax. Actually, the tax is minimal, but they make you feel like a jerk if you buy a bag.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

If this is all any of us need to worry about, we're pretty damn lucky.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

At home I splurged on a SimpleHuman garbage can that has custom-fitted bags. The can and the bags are expensive. It has changed my life for the better. The can looks good always. The foot lever-opener and lid work smoothly, with minimal effort, and silently; keeps any odors at bay. The custom-fitted bags are of high quality, very resistant to stretching and punctures. It's a very positive addition to my kitchen. No bags in any other trash cans, but I also don't put anything messy in any of them.

At work I use two shopping bags to line my office trash can, which does sometimes get messy things thrown inside. I have a stash of plastic grocery bags at work and have not run out yet over 10+ years. I inherited many of the bags from the previous occupant of the office. Sometimes the janitors take the bags with the trash. The pile in the closet is slowly going down.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

F150HD wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:36 pm If this is all any of us need to worry about, we're pretty damn lucky.
It's truly a Golden Age.
1130Super

Post by 1130Super »

tooluser wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:20 pm
F150HD wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:36 pm If this is all any of us need to worry about, we're pretty damn lucky.
It's truly a Golden Age.
I think creating unnecessary trash is something to be worried about don’t you guys? How ridiculous is it to throw an extra bag in a landfill because one is less fashionable. I don’t even have garbage service because I only create about 5lbs of trash a week. The World would be better off if garbage was taxed and fees was as high as Cigarettes, Alcohol, fuel, Cell phone service.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

No store plastic bags, with some exceptions, anymore here in Beaufort County SC. Buy plastic bags at Kroger for the basket under the sink. Bring my own reusable bag to the grocery store. Sometimes I forget and then get the paper bags the store has, which are then used to store paper for recycling at the dump.
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

Truthbomb^
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

1130Super wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 pm
tooluser wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:20 pm
It's truly a Golden Age.
I think creating unnecessary trash is something to be worried about don’t you guys? How ridiculous is it to throw an extra bag in a landfill because one is less fashionable. I don’t even have garbage service because I only create about 5lbs of trash a week. The World would be better off if garbage was taxed and fees was as high as Cigarettes, Alcohol, fuel, Cell phone service.
I pay more for garbage collection than any of the items you have listed. Truly a Golden Age. I wish you well.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

We buy tall kitchen garbage bags from Costco for the kitchen.

We don't put anything into the cans in the bathroom or offices and never have lined them with plastic bags of any sort. The maids come every week and wash them all out, but I've never really noticed anything yucky in any of the garbage cans except the kitchen.

First world problems at it's finest.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

I've been hoarding grocery bags because NJ is planning to ban single use bags. I use them in my trash bins. Because growing up that's what my parents did. And after the ban, I'll use up my supply & probably have to resort to buying black market grocery bags from the dark web using only bitcoin so it's untraceable.

OP, how about a trash receptacle out of sight? Behind a cabinet door? Pull out from a cabinet?
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
tdm757

Post by tdm757 »

I started buying them a month ago. Makes my life better with their perfect fit. Keeps house cleaner.
black jack

Post by black jack »

Ice-9 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:20 pm Like many above, we use tall kitchen bags for the main trash can and grocery bags for the bathroom/other small cans.

However, I'm considering a change.

I used to use most of the grocery bags for picking up our dog's waste on walks. A few months ago, I realized I've likely created thousands of impenetrable plastic bubbles of dog poop in the County's landfill. I discovered compostable pet waste bags on Amazon that weren't too expensive and have been happily using them ever since. We're trying to use up our existing stash of plastic grocery bags up on the bathroom trash can, but every so often I forget to bring reusable bags to the grocery store and end up bringing more home more than enough to replace what we use.

But, whenever the day comes that I've managed to go through this stash of plastic bags and I get my head on straight to remember to bring the reusables in the store with me, I have my eye on trying out similarly priced compostable small trash can bags on Amazon.
Compostable bags sound like a good idea, but if you're tossing them into the regular waste stream where they end up in a landfill, you're wasting your money.
https://www.livescience.com/63597-compost-trash-in-landfills.html wrote:The composting process requires oxygen and, for the most part, landfills are sealed, airtight — and therefore oxygen-free — containers within the ground. "Since landfill conditions are generally anaerobic [i.e., without oxygen], these materials do not 'compost'; instead they either persist or break down anaerobically," Peter Canepa, a life cycle assessment specialist with the Department of Environmental Quality in Oregon, told Live Science in an email. [The Science Behind Composting]

However, what exactly happens to compostable materials in landfills is up for debate. For the plastic-like compostable material PLA (polylactic acid), which is made from corn, one study found that in landfills PLA breaks down anaerobically to release methane, a greenhouse gas that is about 30 times more potent than carbon dioxide, Canepa said.

But another study found that PLA doesn't break down at all in a landfill and therefore does not produce significant greenhouse gas emissions, Canepa said. What's clear is that if a compostable item, such as a straw, winds up in the trash, it will not be composted.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
musicmom

Post by musicmom »

AMAZED at the overwhelming endorsement for Costco 13 gallon bags!
I'll have to make a trip just to get them on sale.🙃
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

fru-gal wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:53 pm
MichCPA wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:43 pm The correct answer is that you buy the scented trash bags so the house/apartment doesn't smell.
Agree with this and I made sure that my second box of trash bags was unscented.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

fru-gal wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:53 pm
Touche, I guess I like vanilla or lavender better than rotting food though.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Started doing this a few years ago. Felt guilty at first. The bags we use are supposed to have a limited life. But I may not live long enough to find out. One day people will mine our landfills. Maybe.
We recycle our "free" plastic bags at the grocery store. We probably pay to have them turned into the plastic bags we buy. I'm OK with that. I think. . .
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.