Is a *new* Drivers License required for USA citizens who have a Passport?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Is a *new* Drivers License required for USA citizens who have a Passport?

Post by ResearchMed »

I'm a bit concerned about the possibly future implications of the recent determination that NY residents will no longer be allowed to apply (or renew) Global Entry/etc., because NY state doesn't have "secure" drivers licenses.

There obviously isn't any requirement that someone be legally able to drive in order to fly on commercial flights... or is there now?

If someone from NY (the current example, but if it spreads...?) had a USA passport, could they still get/renew Global Entry/etc.

I had not planned to deal with getting the old paperwork to get one of the new drivers licenses (different state) after seeing how annoying it was for DH.
I had figured I could just use my USA passport IF the new drivers licenses were to be requested/required.

No?

Also, are there other places where a USA Passport would not suffice if a new drivers license was requested?
Unless I'm driving, why do I even need to be carrying a license, especially if I have a passport with me in case I need to ID myself?

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
neilpilot

Re: Is a *new* Drivers License required for USA citizens who have a Passport?

Post by neilpilot »

Not sure I understand what you're asking. A current passport will suffice for TSA checkpoints. Assuming you present a passport, no driver license is required, even after the October deadline requiring the enhanced DL.

However, Global Entry is no longer available to NY residents. NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST have also been blocked. It does not apply to TSA PreCheck. Your DL status has no bearing.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:07 pm I'm a bit concerned about the possibly future implications of the recent determination that NY residents will no longer be allowed to apply (or renew) Global Entry/etc., because NY state doesn't have "secure" drivers licenses.
That is not the reason as reported by NPR...

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security says it will no longer allow New York state residents to enroll in programs intended to expedite international travel because of a state law that blocks immigration authorities from accessing motor vehicle records.

New York's "Green Light" law, which took effect in December, allows immigrants without legal status to apply for driver's licenses. It also includes a provision barring state officials at the Department of Motor Vehicles from sharing data with immigration authorities unless a judge orders them to do so.

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/06/80335105 ... r-programs
hershey102d

Post by hershey102d »

You can fly using your passport regardless whether or not you have a drivers license. Applying for Global Entry status is a separate issue and the concern, as I understand it, is that NY either has or is proposing to issue drivers licenses to undocumented immigrants.
increment

Post by increment »

The easy and cheap way to renew your passport is by mail. You have to send in your current passport. What will you do in the weeks while it is away?
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Global entry, passports, and enhanced drivers licenses are all different things.

Global entry is basically a fast lane through immigration and customs when you're entering the US. You need a passport to get Global Entry, but you can still get into the country with just a passport. Global Entry isn't required. Having Global Entry has the side effect of getting you into the TSA Precheck line also, but again not having TSA Precheck won't keep you from flying.

A separate thing is that starting in October, if you use a drivers' license as your identification to get onto a domestic flight, you'll need it to be an enhanced drivers' license. If you don't have an enhanced drivers' license, your passport (or apparently passport card) will also work as identification.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:07 pm
You need RealID compliant identification for air travel. A valid passport is already compliant.

https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/federal-real-id

I suggest you get a RealID compliant DL if you haven't already
Last edited by elvisimprsntr on Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:14 pm Not sure I understand what you're asking. A current passport will suffice for TSA checkpoints. Assuming you present a passport, no driver license is required, even after the October deadline requiring the enhanced DL.

However, Global Entry is no longer available to NY residents. NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST have also been blocked. It does not apply to TSA PreCheck. Your DL status has no bearing.
That's my understanding as well. There are two issues:
1) Real ID, i.e., new driver's licenses that would allow you to get on the plane
2) Global Entry, i.e., ability to go quickly though the TSA security checks on the way out and through the U.S. customs when returning from travel abroad.

The NY restriction only affects Global Entry. If you live in NY and don't already have it, you can't get it. And you can't renew it. Thus, if you live in NY you will wait in longer lines.

If you don't have a Real ID, and don't want to spend time getting it, you can use your passport. If you have Global Entry, you can use it as an ID, too.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

elvisimprsntr wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:20 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:07 pm
You need RealID compliant identification for air travel. A valid passport is already compliant.

https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/federal-real-id
RealID and what is happening in NY State are two different things (and perhaps the OP is confusing the two). See my statement above.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Who knows?

I caved in and got a so-called "Real ID" driver's license. I suspect that if you want to be pragmatic and avoid a hassle, that's a sensible thing to do. If someone says you can't board a plane without a Real ID driver's license, even if they are wrong your vacation is ruined... might as well show them whatever they are used to seeing routinely.

I prefer to show them what they ask for. If they ask for "a license," I prefer to show them my license, and not show my passport unless they ask for my passport.

Unless you're someone like John Gilmore of the Electronic Frontier Foundation and you're making a personal crusade of challenging things.

(Pro tip: not all 1099 forms have your full Social Security number on them. Watch out for that when you're collecting the documentation needed for a "Real ID" license).
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:07 pm Also, are there other places where a USA Passport would not suffice if a new drivers license was requested?
Unless I'm driving, why do I even need to be carrying a license, especially if I have a passport with me in case I need to ID myself?
As a technical issue, if you're a US citizen, not driving and not crossing the border or buying booze, you aren't required to carry ID at all, unless you live in a state that has a "stop and identify" law.

I think all states issue official state IDs to nondrivers. They're basically drivers' licenses without the driving privilege part. You're not required to have one, but I would think it would be hard to participate in everyday life without one.
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:14 pm Not sure I understand what you're asking. A current passport will suffice for TSA checkpoints. Assuming you present a passport, no driver license is required, even after the October deadline requiring the enhanced DL.

Thanks.
I just wasn't quite sure if that NY rule did indeed apply to *everyone* in NY or if having a valid USA Passport would allow a NY resident to get Global Entry. (And then, depending upon answer, whether there were implications for others in the future.)
This would still mean the NY drivers licenses would not be of any use for NY residents, while not penalizing those who do have Passports.

We always travel with our Passports when we are flying (or traveling anywhere away from home).
Do you happen to know if there are any times/occasions that someone might be asked for a new license but a Passport would not suffice?
At least I now understand that in NY it wouldn't matter. All residents would have to go through the regular queue.
hershey102d wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:18 pm You can fly using your passport regardless whether or not you have a drivers license. Applying for Global Entry status is a separate issue and the concern, as I understand it, is that NY either has or is proposing to issue drivers licenses to undocumented immigrants.
I was wondering if there might be a two tier system, such that those with Passports (who cannot/should not be undocumented/etc.) could still be scanned at Global Entry.
increment wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:19 pm The easy and cheap way to renew your passport is by mail. You have to send in your current passport. What will you do in the weeks while it is away?
We'd do what we've done for decades. Renew Passports between trips, using an expedited service IF there were to be a time crunch. (By renewing in advance, we've always been able to avoid that.)

Thanks again.

RM
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:27 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:07 pm Also, are there other places where a USA Passport would not suffice if a new drivers license was requested?
As a technical issue, if you're a US citizen, not driving and not crossing the border or buying booze, you aren't required to carry ID at all, unless you live in a state that has a "stop and identify" law.

I think all states issue official state IDs to nondrivers. They're basically drivers' licenses without the driving privilege part. You're not required to have one, but I would think it would be hard to participate in everyday life without one.
Yes, this is part of my question; ARE there times when having a valid USA Passport would not suffice, and a drivers license (or the non-driving kind) would in fact be *required*?
Presumably I'd need the same paperwork for the non-driving ID as for the drivers license, so that wouldn't help.

Thanks.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:30 pm Yes, this is part of my question; ARE there times when having a valid USA Passport would not suffice, and a drivers license (or the non-driving kind) would in fact be *required*?
Yes. If you wanted to rent or drive a motor vehicle during your travels having a passport would not suffice, you would need a drivers license.
Last edited by mptfan on Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
increment

Post by increment »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:27 pm As a technical issue, if you're a US citizen, not driving and not crossing the border or buying booze, you aren't required to carry ID at all
Customs and Border Protection can operate anywhere within 100 miles of the border (including the shores of the ocean). If you are in New York state, you are probably within that zone. It might be practical to carry ID.
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:24 pm Who knows?

I caved in and got a so-called "Real ID" driver's license. I suspect that if you want to be pragmatic and avoid a hassle, that's a sensible thing to do. If someone says you can't board a plane without a Real ID driver's license, even if they are wrong your vacation is ruined... might as well show them whatever they are used to seeing routinely.

I prefer to show them what they ask for. If they ask for "a license," I prefer to show them my license, and not show my passport unless they ask for my passport.

Unless you're someone like John Gilmore of the Electronic Frontier Foundation and you're making a personal crusade of challenging things.

(Pro tip: not all 1099 forms have your full Social Security number on them. Watch out for that when you're collecting the documentation needed for a "Real ID" license).
I'm retired, so things like a 1099 or other tax form from an employer aren't going to be possible for me. That's one of the issues.
I'm forgetting which other documentation caused real problems for DH. He even went to get the new license, and was told that one of the docs was "the wrong type", and he had to go back to square one (and not stop at "Go" and not collect $100 :wink: ).

RM
scophreak

Post by scophreak »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:28 pm

Thanks.
I just wasn't quite sure if that NY rule did indeed apply to *everyone* in NY or if having a valid USA Passport would allow a NY resident to get Global Entry. (And then, depending upon answer, whether there were implications for others in the future.)
This would still mean the NY drivers licenses would not be of any use for NY residents, while not penalizing those who do have Passports.

We always travel with our Passports when we are flying (or traveling anywhere away from home).
Do you happen to know if there are any times/occasions that someone might be asked for a new license but a Passport would not suffice?
At least I now understand that in NY it wouldn't matter. All residents would have to go through the regular queue.
hershey102d wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:18 pm You can fly using your passport regardless whether or not you have a drivers license. Applying for Global Entry status is a separate issue and the concern, as I understand it, is that NY either has or is proposing to issue drivers licenses to undocumented immigrants.
I was wondering if there might be a two tier system, such that those with Passports (who cannot/should not be undocumented/etc.) could still be scanned at Global Entry.
increment wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:19 pm The easy and cheap way to renew your passport is by mail. You have to send in your current passport. What will you do in the weeks while it is away?
We'd do what we've done for decades. Renew Passports between trips, using an expedited service IF there were to be a time crunch. (By renewing in advance, we've always been able to avoid that.)

Thanks again.

RM
Just a comment on the bolded points:

1) I just wasn't quite sure if that NY rule did indeed apply to *everyone* in NY or if having a valid USA Passport would allow a NY resident to get Global Entry.

A valid US passport is a requirement for Global Entry, so this limitation will apply to all NYS residents

2) I was wondering if there might be a two tier system, such that those with Passports (who cannot/should not be undocumented/etc.) could still be scanned at Global Entry.

I believe that this policy will not impact those NYS residents that have a currently valid Global Entry subscription. Instead, new applications or renewals will not be possible. You can still use the Global Entry kiosks until your current subscription ends.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:37 pm As a side note - I have wondered if certain states will eventually disallow residents from states that give licenses to illegal immigrants (such as NY) from renting cars in their state but that's yet to be seen.
If something like that happened, NY would reciprocally disallow renting by residents from those states, and that would create significant inter-state problems. I doubt the states would want to engage in that.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:28 pm

Thanks.

Actually, if you use Mobile Passport most major POEs will allow you to use an expedited que. A passport is required, but not a DL.
ohai

Post by ohai »

"Unless I'm driving, why do I even need to be carrying a license, especially if I have a passport with me in case I need to ID myself?"

Legally, probably passport works in almost all cases. In fact, in NY airport TSA, I sometimes see people showing the passport for domestic flights. Some NYC people likely don't even have valid, non-expired driver's licenses.

More practically, why would you not want a driving license? You'd have to carry around a big passport.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:37 pm As a side note - I have wondered if certain states will eventually disallow residents from states that give licenses to illegal immigrants (such as NY) from renting cars in their state but that's yet to be seen.
It seems unlikely, since the two states you're talking about are two of the most populous states. A state that enacted that kind of law would probably lose a lot of convention and tourism business.
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ohai wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:51 pm "Unless I'm driving, why do I even need to be carrying a license, especially if I have a passport with me in case I need to ID myself?"

Legally, probably passport works in almost all cases. In fact, in NY airport TSA, I sometimes see people showing the passport for domestic flights. Some NYC people likely don't even have valid, non-expired driver's licenses.

More practically, why would you not want a driving license? You'd have to carry around a big passport.
We both present our Passports when flying, even for domestic flights.
It's just automatic now: Check that both Passports are IN HAND before walking out the door, and then present them for any type of check-in. And no matter where we are going, if we won't be staying at home.

The rental car part is a good point, however, although we don't do that too often these days.
I wonder if they would accept a "regular" DL...?

RM
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

This new rule has nothing to do with drivers licenses, at is applied where a drivers license was never sufficient.

However, for those who for one reason or another do not want to get a Real ID, one alternative is a passport card. It fits in your wallet, like regular ID, but be aware that it is not valid for entering the US on an airplane.
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:58 pm
I wonder if they would accept a "regular" DL...?

RM
The RealID requirement which starts in October 2020 is mainly a TSA requirement, so travelling on airplanes mostly. It doesn't affect driving, I don't see why it would affect rental cars, though you never know I suppose.
ohai wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:51 pm
Lots of people, especially younger people in metropolitan areas, don't have driver's licenses for one reason or another.

Another portable option would be the Passport Card, which is RealID complaint. We happen to have them, so I'm just going to use those so I don't have to make a special trip to the DMV to get an updated Driver's license.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Everyone I know who doesn't drive and doesn't have a drivers' license has a state issued ID that looks just like a drivers' license. It just doesn't allow them to drive. It does work as ID for everything else that a drivers' license works for, though.

But yes, for domestic flights, a passport card works as RealID. It also works for land border crossings instead of a regular passport. It just doesn't work when entering the country on an airplane.
furwut

Post by furwut »

My state offered early renewal of my DL to upgrade it to Real ID status. But they botched the notification, only sending me a letter the day before the program started. When I looked at making an appointment all the blocks were taken. I’ve just made a note to bring my passport with me when traveling domestic.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:27 pm

I haven't had a driver's license for years, but I have a state issued ID. I have to frequently show it as some venues refuse entry to disabled parking if the person listed on the disabled hang tag isn't in the vehicle. I was at a baseball game and some folks were getting tickets because the person who was disabled was not present, and the people were using disabled parking. Served them right, IMHO.

Perhaps even more serious is some vendors card everybody purchasing alcohol. Kinda funny a grizzled old guy like myself gets carded, but that is the rule. So I always have my ID.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

decapod10 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:01 pm Another portable option would be the Passport Card, which is RealID complaint. We happen to have them, so I'm just going to use those so I don't have to make a special trip to the DMV to get an updated Driver's license.
We've used our Passport cards for domestic air travel for many years. It gets a little less scrutiny at airports that are not in our home state. But at this point, we now have 4 RealIDs to choose from:

Passport Book
Passport Card
Enhanced DL
Global Entry card
obafgkm

Post by obafgkm »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:27 pm As a technical issue, if you're a US citizen, not driving and not crossing the border or buying booze, you aren't required to carry ID at all
increment wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:34 pm Customs and Border Protection can operate anywhere within 100 miles of the border (including the shores of the ocean). If you are in New York state, you are probably within that zone. It might be practical to carry ID.
According to the articles linked to, agents can use race and/or ethnicity to determine whom to question. I bet if one speaks English and looks a certain way, they'll be good. Not that I think that's a good thing.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:24 pm ...

:confused I don't understand your post. Has anybody upthread suggested that a TSA employee has requested a driver's license and then pushed back when the flyer presented a passport instead? Where is the imaginary personal crusade?

I pass through airport security about 10x/year on average and can't remember the last time the TSA ID checker even spoke to me before me handing over my papers. It's a wordless transaction. Walk up to the agent with boarding pass and valid form of RealID in hand (passport/license/GE card/ID card), put them in the agent's extended hand, wait for them to give it back. I usually say "Thank you" and sometimes get "Have a good flight" in return. No personal crusade necessary if I'm using any form of accepted RealID.
go140point6

Post by go140point6 »

Well for all those who are deciding not to get the RealID compliant diver's license and rely on a passport when flying domestic, please don't forget to also bring your passport with you when entering Federal buildings and your local nuclear power plant after October. Those locations require it also.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Remember a passport card is also compliant ID. When you get or renew your passport get the card as well. If you have Global Entry the GE card is compliant ID. A passport, passport card, or GE card is not a license to drive a car though.
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

boglegirl wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:54 pm
nisiprius wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:24 pm ...

:confused I don't understand your post. Has anybody upthread suggested that a TSA employee has requested a driver's license and then pushed back when the flyer presented a passport instead? Where is the imaginary personal crusade?

I pass through airport security about 10x/year on average and can't remember the last time the TSA ID checker even spoke to me before me handing over my papers. It's a wordless transaction. Walk up to the agent with boarding pass and valid form of RealID in hand (passport/license/GE card/ID card), put them in the agent's extended hand, wait for them to give it back. I usually say "Thank you" and sometimes get "Have a good flight" in return. No personal crusade necessary if I'm using any form of accepted RealID.
I can't imagine any TSA agent would not be familiar with / would not accept a US passport.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

go140point6 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:09 pm Well for all those who are deciding not to get the RealID compliant diver's license and rely on a passport when flying domestic, please don't forget to also bring your passport with you when entering Federal buildings and your local nuclear power plant after October. Those locations require it also.
Yeah I'm in a nuclear power plant every Tuesday so this will be important advice. No wait, I've actually never been to one. :mrgreen:
jucor

Post by jucor »

go140point6 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:09 pm Well for all those who are deciding not to get the RealID compliant diver's license and rely on a passport when flying domestic, please don't forget to also bring your passport with you when entering Federal buildings and your local nuclear power plant after October. Those locations require it also.
Or military base or facility, according to the pamphlet my state mailed me about getting a new RealID DL as mine is expiring.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

dbr wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:15 pm Remember a passport card is also compliant ID. When you get or renew your passport get the card as well. If you have Global Entry the GE card is compliant ID. A passport, passport card, or GE card is not a license to drive a car though.
Yes, I like having the passport card. Easy to get-just check the box when you renew your passport (extra fee which is small). I keep it as a backup ID when I travel domestically in case I lose my DL. I'm hoping it would be helpful travelling internationally as well if the passport was lost, in terms of getting a replacement.
obafgkm

Post by obafgkm »

decapod10 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:19 pm I can't imagine any TSA agent would not be familiar with / would not accept a US passport.
Perhaps, but then I remember things like this:

Yes, TSA is still getting confused by ‘District of Columbia’ driver’s licenses
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

obafgkm wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:08 pm
decapod10 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:19 pm I can't imagine any TSA agent would not be familiar with / would not accept a US passport.
Perhaps, but then I remember things like this:

Yes, TSA is still getting confused by ‘District of Columbia’ driver’s licenses
Right, in my view they are more likely to reject your driver's license than your passport, not the other way around. In my imaginary hierarchy of government identification, US passport is top dog, lol.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Here in Oregon the Real ID licenses are only going to become available in July. My DL isn't due for renewal for several years, and I have no desire to stand in long lines before the Oct 1 deadline. I have been told that I will be able to pass through TSA with my passport or with my Global Entry card.

Think I will carry the GE card for domestic travel.
Iridium

Post by Iridium »

OP, note that you can continue to use your Global Entry until it expires. At that point, I would recommend applying for TSA Pre check, which is still available to New York residents. Mobile Passport is about as good as Global Entry for getting through border controls, so combining with TSA Precheck, you would pretty much be back to status quo. Having a US passport will not make you eligible for Global Entry, as the underlying issue is not that the license themselves are insecure. CBP is claiming that the problem is that New York is making it difficult for CBP to perform the background checks required to issue Global Entry.

All, OP's question is not about the RealID requirement coming in October. OP's question is about the recent announcement by Customs and Border Protection that residents of New York are no longer eligible to apply for Trusted Traveler programs, such as Global Entry. Note that while Global Entry includes TSA Precheck, that program is administered by TSA and not impacted. New York residents may still apply directly to TSA for TSA Precheck, but that program does not offer any benefits getting through border controls.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:07 pm I'm a bit concerned about the possibly future implications of the recent determination that NY residents will no longer be allowed to apply (or renew) Global Entry/etc., because NY state doesn't have "secure" drivers licenses.
You're mixing up two things. One is the the "Real ID" requirement, which will make non-compliant driver licenses ineligible to serve as a form of ID to get through TSA checkpoints. That's been in the works for years. The other is the recent announcement by the Trump administration that residents of NY state will not be be able to apply for or renew Global Entry, because of the "Green Light" law passed by New York and under consideration by others. The two are entirely unrelated.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

02nz wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:36 pm
You're mixing up two things. One is the the "Real ID" requirement, which will make non-compliant driver licenses ineligible to serve as a form of ID to get through TSA checkpoints. That's been in the works for years. The other is the recent announcement by the Trump administration that residents of NY state will not be be able to apply for or renew Global Entry, because of the "Green Light" law passed by New York and under consideration by others. The two are entirely unrelated.
Actually, the title appears to be about Real ID and the post mixes together two issues: Real ID and Global Entry.
student

Post by student »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:28 pm We'd do what we've done for decades. Renew Passports between trips, using an expedited service IF there were to be a time crunch. (By renewing in advance, we've always been able to avoid that.)

Thanks again.

RM
If you are only traveling domestically, you can get a passport and a passport card but renew them at separate time. (It will cost more.)
elcadarj

Post by elcadarj »

IRT OP's orginal question. No, you do not need a new DL for REAL ID Act compliance. REAL ID is an Act of Congress. Not an ID card. A REAL ID Act compliant DL is one of many acceptable documents for passing through TSA.
From the TSA web page. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... tification

"Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.

Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
Permanent resident card
Border crossing card
State-issued Enhanced Driver’s License
Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
HSPD-12 PIV card
Foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
Transportation worker identification credential
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

In coordination with its DHS counterparts, TSA has identified acceptable alternate identification for use in special circumstances at the checkpoint."
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

There is much discussion about waits to obtain Real ID's in our area. It does increase time but depends on which office you use. In our case, we arrived an hour before the office opened and were seventh in line. It took less than thirty minutes once inside. Though it may vary from state-to-state, there are many who are turned away for unacceptable documents, particularly copied ones rather than originals such as birth certificates. We anticipated the possibility of difficulty since most assets are in the name of a Trust. The name includes both of us and is too long to be included completely on documents such as utility bills (One of allowable documents to prove place of residence). That caused a scramble for the second person named, but we sailed through. Tennessee may be different, but it was no more onerous than is any event at the Department of Motor Vehicles, particularly since we drove 15 miles to a rural office.

Tim
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A long interchange conjecturing on the constitutionality of NY state license requirements has been removed. This thread has run its course and is locked (derailed, off-topic).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.