Verizon Fios AutoPay Bad Idea?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
alx

Verizon Fios AutoPay Bad Idea?

Post by alx » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:47 pm

Verizon Fios is great but the company, their customer support and their disconnected dysfunctional divisions is probably the worst I've experienced.

I'm thinking of signing up (as a new customer, previously it was my wife) for Gigabit Fios for $79.99/mo.

If you don't enroll in AutoPay (with a bank account or debit card) Verizion charges you $10/mo more.

Frankly, I've seen waaaaaaay too much trouble from this company to automatically pay them anything and I'm considering paying $10/mo more so to protect my account from them.

I don't even want to give them my credit card number. I'm thinking of making regular payments for the expected monthly amount. Billpay basically (probably from my Fidelty account).

I suspect they will raise the price at some point. In a year? Would I have leverage to prevent that from happening if my setup is defensive?

What do people think? Any experiences to share?

KlangFool

Re: Verizon Fios AutoPay Bad Idea?

Post by KlangFool » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:59 pm

alx wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:47 pm
Verizon Fios is great but the company, their customer support and their disconnected dysfunctional divisions is probably the worst I've experienced.

I'm thinking of signing up (as a new customer, previously it was my wife) for Gigabit Fios for $79.99/mo.

If you don't enroll in AutoPay (with a bank account or debit card) Verizion charges you $10/mo more.
alx,

1) I have no problem doing autopay with Verizon.

2) Verizon is a regulated Telecom company. I know how to deal with them

<<I'm thinking of signing up (as a new customer, previously it was my wife) for Gigabit Fios for $79.99/mo.>>

3) You might be overpaying for the service. Check the following link to see whether you qualify for a discount.

https://www.verizon.com/home/verizonconnections/

4) Verizon is tired of negotiating with me after so many years. So, they made my discount permanent.

KlangFool

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:20 pm

OP,

You should check whether you or your spouse employer has a special deal with Verizon Fios. Some employers' deal includes a very substantial discount for the whole Verizon Fios package and discount for Verizon Wireless too.

It pays to look for deals.

KlangFool

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:22 pm

You're seriously considering paying $10/mo more for this? You're actually better off with a credit card on auto-pay. If Verizon screws up and charges you more than you owe, you're almost certainly going to be made whole by the credit card company.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:31 pm

02nz wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:22 pm
You're seriously considering paying $10/mo more for this? You're actually better off with a credit card on auto-pay. If Verizon screws up and charges you more than you owe, you're almost certainly going to be made whole by the credit card company.
Try disputing a charge from a big company like Verizon through your credit card company, and you will probably end up being sent to a collection company.

OP,
FWIW, I had a bad time before with Verizon upon closing an account. It was when trying to renew the offer, one chat agent promising me a deal, then what happened next is another (locked for 2 years at a high rate!), then a supervisor promised it was fixed, but couldn't see it on my account, then another supervisor treated me rudely and said they don't fix it that way, then a statement came out in my mailbox with zero balance and closed account (as I wanted) but after tons of wasted time of mine.
I left them and went to Xfinity, but I hated the monthly cap of data (online gamer here). I returned back to Verizon and got a better offer. This time I learned to read the fine print and never trust a chat agent's promises unless it is written on the signing screen. I now have auto-pay through my bank account to save that $10, but I am interested in what the rest of the folks will say about this...
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:49 pm

My parents have been on Verizon Fios autopay for almost 1 year now, on a credit card. No issues as of yet.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

Topic Author
alx

Post by alx » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:51 pm

OP here.
They charge $10/mo for credit card on auto pay.

So, again, options are:
- autopay with checking
- autopay with savings
- autopay with debit card
- autopay with credit card (but $10/mo extra)
- no autopay setup with them (but $10/mo extra)

Am I seriously considering $10 more? Yeah, given how much trouble I've seen with them. They are very tricky to deal with. I have to say, it's not only that they are evil they are also incredibly dysfunctional. At the end, if you spend a month or two on the phone dealing with them you'd fix the issues but the level of frustration and the time sink is incredible.
Verizon is a regulated Telecom company. I know how to deal with them. Verizon is tired of negotiating with me after so many years. So, they made my discount permanent.
Impressive. Care to share how specifically to deal with them?
Thank you! I wasn't aware.

Topic Author
alx

Post by alx » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:04 am

This time I learned to read the fine print and never trust a chat agent's promises unless it is written on the signing screen. I now have auto-pay through my bank account to save that $10, but I am interested in what the rest of the folks will say about this...
That's interesting. While you're signing, there's this Chat thing popping up alerting to chat with them about an offer. I chatted just to see what it is and they offered $50 more (in addition to a $100 pre-paid VISA that was advertized on the site to begin with). I'm really concerned about getting entangled though, knowing how disconnected their departments are.

I just KNOW it'll be rough.

But given they have bumped the cost of our 150/150 Mbps all the way to $117/mo, I'm willing to go through some pain for Gbps for ~$90/mo...

Topic Author
alx

Post by alx » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:39 am

OP here.

More random questions & thoughts:

Is the gigabit Fios even worth it? Do people use it? How much is the actual speed? Looks like new equipment is needed (and rented to you for free) Is the equipment good?

I'm really glad that I don't have a phone, TV or any other "bundled" stuff that will entangle me further.

I think the chat rep told me there will be no contract. I see that people have 1 or 2 year contracts. Maybe it's better to have a contract for price protection? Are they gonna bump up the prices sooner than a year if I don't have a contract?

Maybe (!) I should open a bank account specifically for Verizon. I'm not even joking :-) It might be easier to do that than to deal with them.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 am

alx wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:39 am
OP here.

More random questions & thoughts:

Is the gigabit Fios even worth it? Do people use it? How much is the actual speed? Looks like new equipment is needed (and rented to you for free) Is the equipment good?

I'm really glad that I don't have a phone, TV or any other "bundled" stuff that will entangle me further.

I think the chat rep told me there will be no contract. I see that people have 1 or 2 year contracts. Maybe it's better to have a contract for price protection? Are they gonna bump up the prices sooner than a year if I don't have a contract?

Maybe (!) I should open a bank account specifically for Verizon. I'm not even joking :-) It might be easier to do that than to deal with them.
alx,

<<Is the gigabit Fios even worth it? >>

For some employer's deal/discount, you get that plus triple plays (Fios TV+Voice+Internet) as a new customer for less than $100 per month. At that price, the answer will be "why not".

I am an existing Fios customer. So, I could not sign up that deal with my employer's discount. But, I am paying the same low price with my 100/100 triple-play package. So, I am not motivated to change.

KlangFool

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:53 am

I've been a fios customer on autopay for over a decade. No issues. Just understand that $79 a month is before fees and taxes and tariffs and taxes on fees. Expect your monthly bill to be well over $100. My $105 monthly bill is $149 in actual money.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:57 am

I'm NOT a fan of autopay for any recurring bill. These days I don't trust anyone or any business with my account access. However, I made an exception for Verizon Fios to get the $120/year savings. I suppose my propensity to save money won out over my concern for account security.

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:59 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:53 am
I've been a fios customer on autopay for over a decade. No issues. Just understand that $79 a month is before fees and taxes and tariffs and taxes on fees. Expect your monthly bill to be well over $100. My $105 monthly bill is $149 in actual money.
My $79.99 FIOS plan is exactly that amount. At least in my State, there are no other taxes or fees for internet access.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:42 am

I have autopay for Verizon Fios and have for the last few years - no problems.

When they are going to raise your bill they will do so regardless of whether or not you are on autopay (and you will know what the new bill will be before autopay pays it so you can stop it if you want - just set your autopay date for a couple of weeks after the bill comes up but before it is due. You will see the bill in your email inbox then a couple of weeks later it gets paid - gives you 2 weeks to react if you want to). Last time around I signed up for a 2-year agreement and simply set my calendar so that I knew when I would need to call them to re-negotiate the price but in any case - How much you are billed has nothing to do with how you pay the bill (except for the extra $10 it sounds like they want to charge you and the loss of points/cash-back if you don't use a credit-card).

rich126

Post by rich126 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:58 am

shunkman wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:57 am
I'm NOT a fan of autopay for any recurring bill. These days I don't trust anyone or any business with my account access. However, I made an exception for Verizon Fios to get the $120/year savings. I suppose my propensity to save money won out over my concern for account security.
I agree with you. I don't use autopay for any company. $10 a month is tempting although I still may take a pass on it. Autopay ranks up there with "autorenew"

prd1982

Post by prd1982 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:09 am

I'm curious if anyone has an actual case where Verizon, or any other company you do business with, used autopay to overcharge you? Every autopay that I use, which is everyone I can sign up for, tells me the amount of the bill way in advance of when they take the money. I'm amazed at the number of people who believe autopay is a way to steal from customers.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:19 am

alx wrote:
Is the gigabit Fios even worth it? Do people use it? How much is the actual speed?
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:25 am

prd1982 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:09 am

I'm curious if anyone has an actual case where Verizon, or any other company you do business with, used autopay to overcharge you? Every autopay that I use, which is everyone I can sign up for, tells me the amount of the bill way in advance of when they take the money. I'm amazed at the number of people who believe autopay is a way to steal from customers.
prd1982,

It is common and normal for folks not to read the fine print and sign a new contract. I let my son buy a new phone for my wireless plan. I warned him not to change the service plan. I got an alert from the wireless service provider that my service plan had changed and there is an increase of $20 per month. My son had signed for a new service plan in the store without reading the new contract. I had to call and cancel the change.

As it is common and normal for people not to shop around for the best deal. So, people that know and willing to shop around for deals tend to get a better deal. Normal people just sign up for the default deal. This is the same case here.

KlangFool

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:42 am

I've had Fios for almost 8 years at my current house and I've had to deal with customer service a few times over the years and never had any issues with them or autopay. I've actually had one of the best customer service experiences with Verizon. The lady on the phone went over things very thoroughly and when I said I needed to discuss it with my wife, she said she'd call me back at a certain time and actually did call back at that time! She was very nice and was able to save us money as I wanted.

This thread reminded me that I needed to do something about my Fios bill because I'm off contract and paying more than I want. I just got done online chatting with "Jessica" and was able to save $40/month and double my internet speed. So all-in-all, not bad I think.

prd1982

Post by prd1982 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:39 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:25 am
I got an alert from the wireless service provider that my service plan had changed and there is an increase of $20 per month.
I don't see how this is related to using autopay. As you noted, you got an alert about the bill change. Obviously one needs to look at bills they get, even if automatically paid. If someone thinks they will not look at the bills, they should not sign up for autopay. But that still doesn't say the company is trying to steal money via autopay.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:46 pm

prd1982 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:39 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:25 am
I got an alert from the wireless service provider that my service plan had changed and there is an increase of $20 per month.
I don't see how this is related to using autopay. As you noted, you got an alert about the bill change. Obviously one needs to look at bills they get, even if automatically paid. If someone thinks they will not look at the bills, they should not sign up for autopay. But that still doesn't say the company is trying to steal money via autopay.
prd1982,

I am agreeing with you. The issue has nothing to do with auto-pay. It has to do with people not reading their bills.

KlangFool

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:55 pm

It should be noted that with Verizons new Mix and Match structure for FIOS there are no contracts or added fees. My TV and internet charges are exactly what they list plus regular sales tax. No more laundry list of fees.

I have always used autopay with Fios and never had an issue.

$120/yr is a lot of money for the peace of mind you're looking for, but that's your call

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:58 pm

alx wrote:

I have 200 MB, more than enough! When I do speed tests, I get over 300 MB! I pay $39.99/mo
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:16 pm

I would only auto pay if you are locked into a price without an expiration date.

My Fios bill just had a $10 credit fall off and $110 fall off in November 2020. This is the only bill I have to watch like a hawk.

Topic Author
alx

Post by alx » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:57 pm

OP again. Thanks for all the responses.

I realize I didn't share the underlying story which is what makes me sweat about this thing:

3 years ago I cancelled my Verizon FIOS service and my wife started hers. All went fine, no issues. Mine was on autopay with a CC. Although the service was explicitly cancelled (all required communication, etc. was done by me exactly the way they asked me to do it) later I discovered that they continued charging me. It then took me many, many hours on the phone to make them realize the error and cancel the service. I also opened a dispute with the CC but they couldn't really get in touch with Verizon at all. It took multiple cycles (months) for Verizon to refund. In my experience, It's a hit and miss in terms of people -- mostly a "miss". But I did "hit" on some extremely polite and understanding people. They took action and did what they could. But Verizon's system is a huge mess and no one person could finish the whole thing. I had to re-explain the story multiple times and hope I'll hit on a good person. I don't want this whole thing to happen again.

I think the best resolution is to do is to autopay with a CC and then pay close attention. The CC company can actually refund you the charges even if they didn't get an answer from Verizon. But this will cost me $10/mo more and I'm not a fan of wasting money.
Last edited by alx on Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue456

Post by Blue456 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:18 pm

alx wrote:

Frankly, I've seen waaaaaaay too much trouble from this company to automatically pay them anything and I'm considering paying $10/mo more so to protect my account from them.

I don't even want to give them my credit card number. I'm thinking of making regular payments for the expected monthly amount. Billpay basically (probably from my Fidelty account).

I suspect they will raise the price at some point. In a year? Would I have leverage to prevent that from happening if my setup is defensive?

5 years ago I sent out my iPhone to Verizon for the promised credit of $500 towards my monthly bill. They claimed they never got it. Took 3 years to get it resolved with countless phone calls and letters. I continued their service for 2 more years since the hospital I worked at only had Verizon coverage. I ended my service with them shortly afterwards. On the other hand I never in my life had issue with autopay.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:19 pm

alx wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:57 pm
OP again. Thanks for all the responses. I can see

I realize I didn't share the underlying story which is what makes me sweat about this thing:

3 years ago I cancelled my Verizon FIOS service and my wife started hers. All went fine, no issues. Mine was on autopay with a CC. Although the service was explicitly cancelled (all required communication, etc. was done by me exactly the way they asked me to do it) later I discovered that they continued charging me. It then took me many, many hours on the phone to make them realize the error and cancel the service. I also opened a dispute with the CC but they couldn't really get in touch with Verizon at all. It took multiple cycles (months) for Verizon to refund. In my experience, It's a hit and miss in terms of people -- mostly a "miss". But I did "hit" on some extremely polite and understanding people. They took action and did what they could. But Verizon's system is a huge mess and no one person could finish the whole thing. I had to re-explain the story multiple times and hope I'll hit on a good person. I don't want this whole thing to happen again.

I think the best resolution is to do is to autopay with a CC and then pay close attention. The CC company can actually refund you the charges even if they didn't get an answer from Verizon. But this will cost me $10/mo more and I'm not a fan of wasting money.
alx,

<<Although the service was explicitly cancelled (all required communication, etc. was done by me exactly the way they asked me to do it) later I discovered that they continued charging me. It then took me many, many hours on the phone to make them realize the error and cancel the service.>>

Verizon is a regulated Telecom company. For every change in my service plan, they emailed a copy of the change to me and it has a confirmation number. And, over the phone, they will provide the case and confirmation number too. And, I saved those emails. So, if I do not receive an emailed confirmation from them, I do not assume that the change had occurred.

I do not know what happened to you. But, if there is a problem, I can forward the email and provide the confirmation number and it will be solved. If it is not solved, I can complain to the state public utility commission and Verizon will pay penalty.

As compared to all other non-regulated service companies, it is easier to deal with.

This is the same as dealing with any call centers and services. Always ask for the case number and/or confirmation number. Record down who and when you talk to the support person. Ask them to email confirmation. Log into your account to confirm that changes had been made.

KlangFool

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:20 pm

We have as much (without additional fees) charged to our credit card including some monthly utility vendors. Other utilities and insurance are ACH from the checking account. This has been our strategy for over 20 years without any issues.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Topic Author
alx

Post by alx » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:05 pm

Verizon is a regulated Telecom company. For every change in my service plan, they emailed a copy of the change to me and it has a confirmation number. And, over the phone, they will provide the case and confirmation number too. And, I saved those emails. So, if I do not receive an emailed confirmation from them, I do not assume that the change had occurred.

I do not know what happened to you. But, if there is a problem, I can forward the email and provide the confirmation number and it will be solved. If it is not solved, I can complain to the state public utility commission and Verizon will pay penalty.
Thank you. I suspected there are ways to hold them accountable but I wasn't aware of the exact ways. How involved is tit to complain to the state public utility commission? Is it as easy as writing them a letter? Or even an email?

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:09 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:19 pm
alx wrote:

alx,

<<Although the service was explicitly cancelled (all required communication, etc. was done by me exactly the way they asked me to do it) later I discovered that they continued charging me. It then took me many, many hours on the phone to make them realize the error and cancel the service.>>

As compared to all other non-regulated service companies, it is easier to deal with.

This is the same as dealing with any call centers and services. Always ask for the case number and/or confirmation number. Record down who and when you talk to the support person. Ask them to email confirmation. Log into your account to confirm that changes had been made.

KlangFool
KlangFool
According to my weak memory, I think sometimes they say: "Sorry we have no confirmation number for that, but we put a note on your account!"

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:25 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:09 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:19 pm
alx wrote:

alx,

KlangFool
KlangFool
According to my weak memory, I think sometimes they say: "Sorry we have no confirmation number for that, but we put a note on your account!"
I do not accept that answer. At the minimum, I want a case #. I know their process.

KlangFool

Topic Author
alx

Post by alx » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:02 pm

It should be noted that with Verizons new Mix and Match structure for FIOS there are no contracts or added fees. My TV and internet charges are exactly what they list plus regular sales tax. No more laundry list of fees.
Looks like Mix & Match is available in my wife's existing account.

From my wife's account, the options for the internet (I am not interested in TV and phone) are:
100Mbps $49.99/mo
200Mbps $49.99/mo
400Mpbs $69.99/mo
Gigabit $89.99/mo

As a new user (what I was trying to do) I have these options:
100Mbps $39.99/mo
300Mbps $59.99/mo
Gigabit $74.99/mo

Given that we currently have 150/150 and paying $114.99/mo, I can simply switch my wife's account to 200Mbps (which is going to be slightly better) and dramatically reduce our monthly payment to $49.99.

Compared to the hassle of switching account and the $35/mo more (or $25 more, with autopay from bank account), the above looks rather attractive. Gigabit is also attractive but I don't think we necessarily NEED it.

cyclist

Post by cyclist » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:41 pm

We just switched successfully to DW’s account from mine and got new customer pricing. We got the last of the traditional bundles available to new customers in the DC market; those bundles remain available to existing customers.

We kept our long-standing landline # by porting it to a throw-away mobile SIM card in an old phone, porting it a second time to Google Voice, and then using an Obihai VOIP adapter to provide service to our existing landline phones.

Of course, we did spend many happy hours on the phone with them resolving credit hold issues (we paid a deposit rather than in-freezing credit; that didn’t go well) and sorting out how to get the available discounts for linking wireless and residential services effectively (DW’s status as an “account manager” wasn’t quite right; it only worked for her after I re-added her as such.)

Cyclist

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:46 pm

cyclist wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:41 pm
We just switched successfully to DW’s account from mine and got new customer pricing. We got the last of the traditional bundles available to new customers in the DC market; those bundles remain available to existing customers.

We kept our long-standing landline # by porting it to a throw-away mobile SIM card in an old phone, porting it a second time to Google Voice, and then using an Obihai VOIP adapter to provide service to our existing landline phones.

Of course, we did spend many happy hours on the phone with them resolving credit hold issues (we paid a deposit rather than in-freezing credit; that didn’t go well) and sorting out how to get the available discounts for linking wireless and residential services effectively (DW’s status as an “account manager” wasn’t quite right; it only worked for her after I re-added her as such.)

Cyclist
cyclist,

You can get an additional discount of $10 per month on Fios and $5 per month on Wireless if your employer is on the list. Use the following link to check.

KlangFool

Topic Author
alx

Post by alx » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:47 pm

Does that work for Mix and Match? And in particular for Mix and Match where I only pick Fios.

I'm always overly paranoid about linking my work and personal profile. Why is my employer participating? What's in it for the employer? What's in it for Verizon?

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:09 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:19 am
alx wrote:
Is the gigabit Fios even worth it? Do people use it? How much is the actual speed?
Retry that on a wired connection... something is being throttled. I get over 900 up AND down.

OP: yes Verizon’s CS sucks, but I’ve had them on CC autopay for years without issue. No surcharge either so I must be grandfathered in.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:21 pm

alx wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:47 pm
Does that work for Mix and Match? And in particular for Mix and Match where I only pick Fios.

I'm always overly paranoid about linking my work and personal profile. Why is my employer participating? What's in it for the employer? What's in it for Verizon?
alx,

As far as I know, it works for all plans. I received my $10 per month discount from that link on top of my existing heavily discounted plan.

<<Why is my employer participating? What's in it for the employer?>>

My employer is large enough that it gets a discount from many vendors.

<<What's in it for Verizon?>>

Customer loyalty. Hopefully, you will not switch as easily.

KlangFool

cyclist

Post by cyclist » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:23 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:46 pm
cyclist wrote:

Cyclist
cyclist,

You can get an additional discount of $10 per month on Fios and $5 per month on Wireless if your employer is on the list. Use the following link to check.

KlangFool
That’d be a neat trick for us - we’re both retired. ;)

(Nice idea, though.)

Cyclist

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:27 pm

cyclist wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:23 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:46 pm
cyclist wrote:

Cyclist
cyclist,

KlangFool
That’d be a neat trick for us - we’re both retired. ;)

(Nice idea, though.)

Cyclist
Are you ex-military? Veteran? Anyhow, if you are interested, you could always google your affiliation + "Verizon Discount".

KlangFool

Topic Author
alx

Post by alx » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:49 pm

I chatted with Verizon online rep again. I do qualify with my employer (.gov) but I was told it'll be $5 off for my case not $10 and she could not articulate why or elaborate and I didn't press them.

After all, I'm ordering 200Mbps through my wife's account for $49.99/mo. Maybe try to see if autopay via a bank account will shave $10 off of that (it's unclear now, although I already made the order). After all, with Verizon being regulated and all, it's not so scary to do autopay if one pays close attention.

Maybe down the road we'll change to my account and get a better plan.

I learned here a lot. I appreciate all the comments.

Topic Author
alx

Post by alx » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:22 pm

For the record, I didn't see a way to get a discount for autopay via bank account.

So I'd be paying $49.99/mo via a credit card.

BTW, my speed is consistently above 200Mbps. For example, right now I'm getting 7ms ping, 256.60 Mbps Download, 320.55 Mbps Upload.

I'm glad I did this rather than going through the hassle of starting an account under my name. We don't really need higher speeds than this.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:18 pm

We don’t let anybody pull money out of our bank accounts. It’s reassuring though to hear that so many people have had good experiences with it.

Years ago we had a serious problem trying to cancel SiriumXM and they kept charging our credit card for months while we straightened it out. I doubt I would have ever got the money back had they been able to take it out of my account.

Topic Author
alx

Post by alx » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:19 am

How do you pay utility companies that do not allow credit card payments at all? Manually?

Puretaxableindexer

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:28 am

alx wrote:

I did notice in ads via email that FIOS auto-enroll is part of the deal, I didn't know that they charged $10 per month more for a check. That tells me you will have a very very hard time to cancel and stop them from auto billing your credit card. You then have to call your credit card company and close your cc account, but charges can still appear in a closed account. I pay Comcast via online every month. I don't want/will not give them the option of auto bill. No way. Verizon FIOS is off my list now as an option, I'm sticking with Comcast.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:30 am

My credit union has a bill pay feature on their website and in their app.

I can pay all my utility bills that way. So I am “pushing the payment” to them, rather than letting them pull it.

The big difference is I am in control of who gets paid, the amount they get, and the timing of the payment.

Puretaxableindexer

Post by Puretaxableindexer » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:31 am

Puretaxableindexer wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:28 am
alx wrote:

I did notice in ads via email that FIOS auto-enroll is part of the deal, I didn't know that they charged $10 per month more for a check. That tells me you will have a very very hard time to cancel and stop them from auto billing your credit card. You then have to call your credit card company and close your cc account, but charges can still appear in a closed account. I pay Comcast via online every month. I don't want/will not give them the option of auto bill. No way. Verizon FIOS is off my list now as an option, I'm sticking with Comcast.
Also, I did have Verizon DSL long ago before Comcast and Verizon's outages become worse over time and they were not helpful in getting them corrected. And like you mentioned, Verison's customer service and billing are horrible.

countdrak

Post by countdrak » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:34 am

Have the gigabit connection for $39.99. Doing auto pay for the 5+ years. No issues. The chat customer service is solid and that is what I use, much better than trying to call. This time I had to do the autopay via a debit card because of the $10 discount. So far so good.
Last edited by countdrak on Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:34 am

KlangFool wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:59 pm
alx wrote:

alx,

1) I have no problem doing autopay with Verizon.

2) Verizon is a regulated Telecom company. I know how to deal with them

<<I'm thinking of signing up (as a new customer, previously it was my wife) for Gigabit Fios for $79.99/mo.>>

3) You might be overpaying for the service. Check the following link to see whether you qualify for a discount.

4) Verizon is tired of negotiating with me after so many years. So, they made my discount permanent.

KlangFool
Thanks for the link. I might be saving $10/month :)

Edit: I wish I could get them to give me a fair price so I did not have to play their silly games !!!
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.

stilllurking

Post by stilllurking » Sat May 23, 2020 7:32 am

Has anyone tried to prepay with a credit card a few months in advance of the first auto pay date? Then they would just be drawing on a credit balance and then you'd repeat it again when it got down again? I think I read for the subsequent month, they would show a $10 more invoice, but when you enroll in auto pay again, it drops back down by $10.

xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:05 am

jharkin wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:09 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:19 am
alx wrote:
Retry that on a wired connection... something is being throttled. I get over 900 up AND down.

OP: yes Verizon’s CS sucks, but I’ve had them on CC autopay for years without issue. No surcharge either so I must be grandfathered in.
I wonder if one's router is also a major factor impacting the speed. I have an old fios router which I am thinking about upgrading (for security purposes also). Does anyone have experience with that? Will I get major increase in my WiFi speed if I upgrade the router?