NYC w/ 10 month old and no stroller or car seat. Doable?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
guitarguy

NYC w/ 10 month old and no stroller or car seat. Doable?

Post by guitarguy »

Any New Yorkers here? :D

My wife and I are coming up on our 10 year wedding anniversary, and we want to take a trip to NYC. First time there; long weekend trip maybe 3-4 days. The catch: we want to bring our will-be-coming-up-on-11-months-old son with us, and we don't want to bring a car seat or stroller. Can we get away with this? :confused

We are avid hikers, and I'm thinking about carting him and some baby crap in an Osprey Poco carrier backpack as we tool around the city. If it's like my other Osprey packs, it'll be very comfortable and I'm fairly certain I could lug him all day no problem. My wife can have a regular backpack for other basic items too. Some ideas we'd like to do our go to a Yankees game, see the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Bldg, Times Square, Central Park, maybe the Natural History Museum, touristy stuff mostly. It's OK if we don't fit all of that stuff in...those are just some ideas.

The biggest thing will be getting to/from the airport. I found "Blacklane" via a search of this topic, and it says that everything will be guaranteed (infant seat, etc) but it's pricey. Like $120 each way or something. The other option would be actually caving and bringing the car seat for a Lyft, and then just leaving it at the hotel the rest of the trip.

First question: Are we nuts? LOL. It's OK if you say yes. He's currently 7 months old and has been on almost as many flights as months he's been alive. So we might be a little crazy...but that's OK. Is it possible?

Second question: on the sites I mentioned above...I have no idea where any of this stuff is. Can we get around to these places by walking and/or public transit like bus or subway w/ a carrier? Should we eliminate any of the above items specifically to narrow down our traveling radius?

Third question: any other things that might be fun for our little threesome? Little man loves to be out and about, does well in public and restaurants (knock wood) most of the time.

:sharebeer
Last edited by guitarguy on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brianmcg321

Re: NYC w/ 10 month old and no stroller or car seat. Doable?

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Find a 45lb dumbell and carry it around for a few days. If your ok, you'll be fine.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Topic Author
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:12 am Find a 45lb dumbell and carry it around for a few days. If your ok, you'll be fine.
Ha. I've done that, up and down a few thousand feet of elevation to boot.

And on this trip I expect baby plus pack to be around 35 lbs. Bonus. :beer
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

We've done this type of escapade a good bit. Our best luck as been with a carrier like I linked to below, that my wife or I could wear on our front, or back. When wearing on the front, the kiddo could be set forward looking out, or towards the body so they can nap. We used this thing a LONG time, meaning our kids were not small, but it was great as a backup on longer hikes. It packs up well, no steel frames, etc. This was by far our most used piece of equipment hiking. We had a Kelty framed backpack, where the kids sit up high, but ours just never took to it.

https://ergobaby.com/baby-carrier/omni- ... DsQAvD_BwE

Edited to add: We would always bring a separate backpack with us that contained all of the necessities, our jackets, etc. Whoever didn't have the baby, wore that. Get a pack that will work with both your body sizes. May not be perfect, but who cares.
Also edited the link to one that has the full versatility I spoke of.
Last edited by TallBoy29er on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Carried one of my daughters around in a backpack until she was almost 2. (She was a late walker.) Used a Tough Traveler baby carrier, went to their factory store and got periodic adjustments as she grew. She was in the 10th percentile for weight at that time. I did not drive at that time and used public transportation and walking a lot. (We live in Upstate NY and periodically took the Amtrak train down to NYC.)

Backpacks are great in NYC when you encounter steps (and the elevators are inconvenient to access) or uneven pavement. I did not need a carseat because we took the train and used public transportation. This was three decades ago when it was standard and legal to travel in cabs without a carseat but we did not use cabs. I believe that public transit is an option to/from NYC airports, but have not tried it. Lugging a carseat around airports and then installing it properly in a vehicle would be a pain. I would arrange for some kind of transportation that has a carseat already installed if you absolutely must travel in a car during any part of your trip.

That said, if I had to do it today, I would go with a convertible backpack/stroller model, something like this one. That way you have flexibility to take a break from carrying your kid around.
flarf

Post by flarf »

Anything is possible, but it's your ten year anniversary -- do you want it to be enjoyable or not?

Remember that things change a lot from 7 months to 11 months.

There are good travel strollers available that are lightweight and collapse easily. Your kid will have a place to nap and you'll have a much better time, especially if the city is in the midst of a heat wave during your visit. You can wheel the stroller onto the subway but it would need to be collapsed on the bus, although if you enjoy walking, your bus trips will likely be rare.

As far as ground transportation, we always booked seats for our kids on airplanes and had them belted into their car seats. As you surmised, you'll need to book a car service that has a suitable car seat for your child if you don't want to bring your own (and getting a car seat around the airport is no big deal -- you strap it to your carry-on or put it over your shoulder). You may be able to find something for a little less than $120 each way but that's fairly standard for a meet-and-greet option with tolls/tax/tip.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

It’s your anniversary. Could a grandparent or someone take the kid?
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Check with venue regardless of your choice. I don’t know if there would be a problem with the Osprey carrier pack at Yankee Stadium or parts of Liberty Island for instance.
Topic Author
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:47 am It’s your anniversary. Could a grandparent or someone take the kid?
If we did have someone, we'd be going back to St. Lucia.
carne_asada

Post by carne_asada »

Very doable: Lots of NYC parents use carriers instead of strollers. Whichever carrier you get: make sure it's comfortable for both of you and try to use it for an entire day each before your trip. If you end up needing a stroller, you can always pick up a cheap umbrella stroller for $20 from one of the Targets in the city so you don't need to haul it on the plane.
Topic Author
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Katietsu wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:56 am Check with venue regardless of your choice. I don’t know if there would be a problem with the Osprey carrier pack at Yankee Stadium or parts of Liberty Island for instance.
That's a good point. Might have to leave it and take the Baby Bjorn which my wife likes to wear if certain places have size requirements on bags. My guess is they would not allow the Osprey inside a stadium. It's not small.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

If you can handle going through airports and flying with an infant, you can definitely do NYC. Although I like the convenience of an umbrella stroller that can collapse into a tight space when traveling, we preferred traveling with a backpack for our kids especially in large urban cities where there were lots of steps and the quarters were tight in most restaurants and shops. Here in the midwest where space is easier to come by and all on street level, a stroller is definitely the way to go. We always used public transportation so car seats weren't an issue.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Why not bring a stroller? It would make things a lot easier. I took my kids (8 and 4) to NYC last year and brought a cheap umbrella stroller for the 4 year old. It was super helpful. I can confirm you can bring a stroller to the Statue of Liberty (though probably not to the top) and the Natural History Museum.
Topic Author
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Afty wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:09 pm Why not bring a stroller? It would make things a lot easier. I took my kids (8 and 4) to NYC last year and brought a cheap umbrella stroller for the 4 year old. It was super helpful. I can confirm you can bring a stroller to the Statue of Liberty (though probably not to the top) and the Natural History Museum.
Well...our thought was not having to drag it through the airport, and then up and down stairs and through tight spaces if we traveled around by subway all day...
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Started going to NYC before there were even interstates down here and kept it up until a few years ago every year or so. By foot NYC is great to see...take the subway up to 125th and walk down to the Village, take another day to walk down to Battery Park and then to the Statue of Liberty and so on, but you have to remember how hot and humid NYC gets and folks don't take kindly to being pushed aside on public transport by backpacks and tourists who take up way to much space when it gets crowed - those subways and busses get packed. This year alone there have been so many subway problems, City Council is getting into the mix. Take your backpack off in the subway and bus - they are prime for being picked. Some museums may require backpacks to be checked others inspected, some stores might not allow them at all. The best time to go is Mid-Oct, the heat has broken and the tourists have thinned out a bit.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

guitarguy wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:00 am
quantAndHold wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:47 am It’s your anniversary. Could a grandparent or someone take the kid?
If we did have someone, we'd be going back to St. Lucia.
This.

It's gorgeous there, and I assume you already know that :happy

NYC isn't going anywhere.
You can take "that trip" when your little one isn't quite so little, and might even enjoy some of the trip. And you might enjoy it more, too.
But if this is your first (child, not trip, although maybe that, trip with child, too!), then do keep in mind that when they are toddlers, they can be more difficult in some ways than when smaller. There's a window when they can't communicate, don't really understand, etc. They are awfully cute at that stage, except when they aren't... :annoyed

It IS your anniversary. Time for the two of you, and especially if you haven't have much "together time" since the wee one arrived...!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:25 pm Started going to NYC before there were even interstates down here and kept it up until a few years ago every year or so. By foot NYC is great to see...take the subway up to 125th and walk down to the Village, take another day to walk down to Battery Park and then to the Statue of Liberty and so on, but you have to remember how hot and humid NYC gets and folks don't take kindly to being pushed aside on public transport by backpacks and tourists who take up way to much space when it gets crowed - those subways and busses get packed. This year alone there have been so many subway problems, City Council is getting into the mix. Take your backpack off in the subway and bus - they are prime for being picked. Some museums may require backpacks to be checked others inspected, some stores might not allow them at all. The best time to go is Mid-Oct, the heat has broken and the tourists have thinned out a bit.
We will be looking at mid/late May...so hopefully the heat won't be too bad.

Good advice on taking the backpack (or carrier) off in the crowded public transit spaces. We're not strangers to public transit and would abide by the unwritten rules...even if we are new to NYC it shouldn't be too hard to figure out...

Considering staying at the Park Hyatt (on points...I am, after all, the one who started the "credit card rewards strategy" thread). LOL.
leeks

Post by leeks »

NO to hiking framed child backpack around city (you will stick out glaringly as a tourist, not good form factor for subway). Yes to an ERGO style carrier! You would not take Ergo off on subway, the whole point is to keep kid confined and your hands free. Ergo is what you need and start using it now so you get used to it.

I have lived in NYC 5 years with two little ones, strollers are a huge pain on the subway and I also hate traveling with carseats. For nearly four years, most everyday I had an Ergo on my front and a backpack (as a diaper bag) on my back. I never took a stroller on any trip outside my neighborhood when I had only one baby, always the Ergo. I did bring a compact-folding stroller with shoulder strap (Mountain Buggy Nano but Zoe now makes a comparable one cheaper) when I had to take a toddler on subway with another baby in the Ergo.

Strollers suck on transit here. You have to take kid and everything out to fold the stroller to walk up and down subway stairs. Even if stations have elevators, they are often out of service. On a bus a stroller has to be folded by regulation.

If you are flying in/out of EWR or JFK you can take the LIRR or NJTransit train into Manhattan to avoid carseat. If LGA there is a bus to subway option, so also possibly but slower.

If you will take a taxi to/from the airport, the cheapest/simplest thing is to bring your own carseat and then leave at hotel ($40 cosco scenera can order online from walmart is lightweight and may be easier to travel with depending on what you have at home). The Immigo is expensive but would be a more portable option for an older child.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Our second kid cried from the time he was a week old until he was 1. Pretty much non stop. Bring ear plugs AND some industrial ear protecting headphones.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
ag1

Post by ag1 »

Which airport are you coming to? There is public transport option at each of the airports.

Don't carry the frame type carriers. You will have problem at every building to enter for security. Baby Bjorn style carriers are fine and common in NYC . Have a nice back pack baby bag as well with milk, toys, diapers etc.

AG
FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative »

Easy. Bring the stroller.

Repeat after me, YOU WILL REGRET NOT BRINGING IT.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

Yes, do that. A 10 month old will not remember anything of this trip.
daheld

Post by daheld »

leeks wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:17 pm NO to hiking framed child backpack around city (you will stick out glaringly as a tourist, not good form factor for subway). Yes to an ERGO style carrier! You would not take Ergo off on subway, the whole point is to keep kid confined and your hands free. Ergo is what you need and start using it now so you get used to it.

I have lived in NYC 5 years with two little ones, strollers are a huge pain on the subway and I also hate traveling with carseats. For nearly four years, most everyday I had an Ergo on my front and a backpack (as a diaper bag) on my back. I never took a stroller on any trip outside my neighborhood when I had only one baby, always the Ergo. I did bring a compact-folding stroller with shoulder strap (Mountain Buggy Nano but Zoe now makes a comparable one cheaper) when I had to take a toddler on subway with another baby in the Ergo.

Strollers suck on transit here. You have to take kid and everything out to fold the stroller to walk up and down subway stairs. Even if stations have elevators, they are often out of service. On a bus a stroller has to be folded by regulation.

If you are flying in/out of EWR or JFK you can take the LIRR or NJTransit train into Manhattan to avoid carseat. If LGA there is a bus to subway option, so also possibly but slower.

If you will take a taxi to/from the airport, the cheapest/simplest thing is to bring your own carseat and then leave at hotel ($40 cosco scenera can order online from walmart is lightweight and may be easier to travel with depending on what you have at home). The Immigo is expensive but would be a more portable option for an older child.
As someone who recently traveled via air to Florida with a 13 month old, I just want to say...bless you. I've been to NYC one time and I cannot imagine lugging a baby around the city. This is mostly a product of living in rural America for most of my life, but man...NYC was a lot for me, much less hauling a baby everywhere.
gtg970g

Post by gtg970g »

I agree with the suggestion to use something like the Ergo Carrier. The Baby Bjorn is not as comfortable for the baby or parent when worn for a significant duration.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

leeks wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:17 pm NO to hiking framed child backpack around city (you will stick out glaringly as a tourist, not good form factor for subway). Yes to an ERGO style carrier! You would not take Ergo off on subway, the whole point is to keep kid confined and your hands free. Ergo is what you need and start using it now so you get used to it.

I feel vindicated by your post. :sharebeer
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

Not NYC but I traveled solo with my kids around that age and found a carrier like an Ergo to be ideal. Strollers are just one other thing to manage on transit and in airports.
scottgekko

Post by scottgekko »

Purchase a Cosco travel car seat. (Not Costco). It's very light and easy to carry. If you are not purchasing a separate seat, then most airlines let you check the car seat for free. Then take a car into the city.

I would seriously consider bringing the stroller. Consider nap time while you're walking, eating at a restaurant, etc. There is no way in heck I'd just assume I'm going to carry a child for miles and miles a day. I'm sure you physically could, but why would you want to?
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Bring the stroller. If you have any intentions of actually going up into the Statue of Liberty, you must arrange for tickets now.
https://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/fees.htm

You can walk in Central Park, but suggest a stroller - you don't want to be run over by those cyclists who stop for no one and fail to heed pedestrians.
Museum of Natural History is on the West Side of the park at 79-81st Streets. If you don't want to walk there, you can easily take the train to the Museum of Natural History stop.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Topic Author
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:57 pm Bring the stroller. If you have any intentions of actually going up into the Statue of Liberty, you must arrange for tickets now.
https://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/fees.htm

You can walk in Central Park, but suggest a stroller - you don't want to be run over by those cyclists who stop for no one and fail to heed pedestrians.
Museum of Natural History is on the West Side of the park at 79-81st Streets. If you don't want to walk there, you can easily take the train to the Museum of Natural History stop.
Looks like children under 4 are restricted in going to the top? bummer. Not even with the baby in a carrier??

Looking at staying at the Park Hyatt so would prob plan on walking to the Museum of Nat History! Also the hotel supposedly gives vouchers for free bike rentals (w/ child seat attachment) for cruising the park which is cool.
Last edited by guitarguy on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

gtg970g wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:34 pm I agree with the suggestion to use something like the Ergo Carrier. The Baby Bjorn is not as comfortable for the baby or parent when worn for a significant duration.
Are these vastly different? Interesting. Will have to look at this.

So far the BB has been comfortable for my wife or I to wear and lil man doesn't seem to mind being in there.
Topic Author
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

ag1 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:55 pm Which airport are you coming to? There is public transport option at each of the airports.

Don't carry the frame type carriers. You will have problem at every building to enter for security. Baby Bjorn style carriers are fine and common in NYC . Have a nice back pack baby bag as well with milk, toys, diapers etc.

AG
Looking at flying into LGA.

Any advice on which airport is best/easiest with the kiddo situation?
Last edited by guitarguy on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Thanks for the advice NYC'ers...you've sold me on not bringing the hiking backpack!

We'll save that for our next hiking trip to CO. :beer
Righty

Post by Righty »

If you'd rather not TRAVEL with the stroller, but would like to have one in NY, there are plenty of services that will rent/deliver one to your hotel (a quick google search will help).

In NY, you can also request an Uber that will arrive with a car seat installed - so travel in the city should not be a problem (other than a little more expensive).
batpot

Post by batpot »

highly recommend something like an ergo baby.

However, if you want room to grow, go to REI and see if the little one is large enough for baby backpack like the Osprey Poco.
It will last you until the little one turns about 3, and is a good replacement for a stroller.
flarf

Post by flarf »

Righty wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:42 amIn NY, you can also request an Uber that will arrive with a car seat installed - so travel in the city should not be a problem (other than a little more expensive).
"Uber Car Seat provides one forward-facing car seat for a child who is at least 2 years old, 22 pounds, and 31 inches tall."

Source: https://www.uber.com/us/en/ride/car-seat/

OP, with respect to choice of airports, LGA is the closest to the Park Hyatt -- hard to say which is best as it is really terminal (and thus airline) dependent.
Userdc

Post by Userdc »

Two adults and one baby? Bring a stroller.

Those cheap umbrellas strollers fold up instantly and can be gate checked for free.

For the subway, one person grabs the baby, the other folds and grabs the stroller and you are on the subway platform in a flash. Just avoid rush hour and you should have plenty of space on the subway.

The cheap lightweight Cosco car seats are great, but if you are only going to be in a car between airport and hotel, I would just do Uber car seat.

LGA is the best airport if you are Ubering. Depending on time of day, it will be a 15-60 minutes shorter ride than the other airports.
leeks

Post by leeks »

The OP's baby is way too young for the forward-facing Immigo that Uber supposedly has. It is not appropriate for an infant.

While Uber claims to offer a carseat option, plenty of my neighbors have found that in practice an Uber with a carseat is not available at the time they actually want to go somewhere and try to book it. So I would not rely on that option even for an older child.

Yes LGA is the closest if you plan to taxi. I feel that the train ride from EWR is better than the one from JFK but I can't think of any evidence to justify that (both take you into Penn Station).

But more important than which airport, I would look for flight times that work best with your baby's typical schedule and direct flights or minimum-possible connections. For me that would mean not having to wake baby before normal wake time in the morning and expecting to be settled at hotel by normal bedtime.
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

guitarguy wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:16 pm
Afty wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:09 pm Why not bring a stroller? It would make things a lot easier. I took my kids (8 and 4) to NYC last year and brought a cheap umbrella stroller for the 4 year old. It was super helpful. I can confirm you can bring a stroller to the Statue of Liberty (though probably not to the top) and the Natural History Museum.
Well...our thought was not having to drag it through the airport, and then up and down stairs and through tight spaces if we traveled around by subway all day...
I can confirm that any type of stroller makes airports much easier. And gate checking a stroller is really not hard. If you gate check a nice stroller, you’ll probably want a bag to put it in. A cheap umbrella stroller really shines here.

A major drawback of backpack style carriers in the city is the low headroom you’ll encounter with mass transit, entering the trains/buses, in them, as well as in many subway stations/ bus shelters and buildings. I found much of NYC to feel very cramped indoors.

A sub- $20 umbrella stroller you buy in NYC and trash / goodwill at the end of your stay seems a better value than that fancy car service. We bought a “disposable” stroller and it has been far more used and useful than the fancy travel system we got as a shower gift. Those cheap umbrella strollers can sure take a beating.

Re: car seats, it is still legal to ride in a yellow NYC Taxi with your baby, without a car seat. I wouldn’t recommend it, but it’s not illegal. There is a very lightweight car seat available exclusively from Wal-Mart called the Cosco Scenera Next. We bought it as a backup car seat and for use aboard aircraft (it is FAA approved) and our kids were very good flyers in them. They are lightweight and easily attached to a roll aboard carry-on bag. I swear we paid $30 for ours, but it appears the word is out, and I see they are $50 online. One time, our “forever” car seat needed to be disassembled and carefully cleaned. We installed the backup Cosco seat in the main kid hauler and my wife was so pleased with the low profile and ease of loading/unloading the kid from it that we used it as our primary seat until the kids were no longer rear facing.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
como

Post by como »

We did NYC last May with an 11 month old. One kid. Flew in and out of LGA, stayed in Brooklyn.

I agonized over whether or not to bring a car seat and if I was okay in a taxi without a carseat (legal there, I believe).

We ended up doing only public transport and leaving the carseat at home. We took an Ergo carrier and bought a CityMini GT stroller just for this trip due to its (relative) portability (we bought new, but I probably should have just bought one off of FB Marketplace). I think we ended up carrying him in the Ergo on the subway and then carting the stroller up and down the stairs folded up. Some (all?) of the Ergos can be used on your back as well as front, so it might be easier that way.

Staying in Manhattan probably would have helped make our outings easier. It seemed like it was always naptime when we got ready to leave the AirBNB and at that age, our kid wasn't quite as good at napping anywhere as he had been at 6-7 months. He was also better at standing up and wanting to be a bit more mobile, which made the stroller nice to have. I think we went to Brighton Beach one day and only took the carrier and I was certainly a bit more tired that day. If you two are used to carrying heavy packs, you'd probably do better than I did.

All in all, I'm glad we had a stroller, but we maybe could have done with just an umbrella stroller. We ended up spending hours at LGA because of flight cancellations and I was so glad we had the stroller to contain him and push him around easily.

We'd been to NYC before this and I can't say this trip was my favorite vacation, but we did it! We happened to hit the Cherry Blossom weeks at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, which was nice. We did the 9/11 Memorial, which was no problem with a kid either. I wish we had made it back to Central Park because I think that would have been great with a kid.
ohai

Post by ohai »

Hi, OP. Yes, you can certainly go around NYC with just a baby carrier. However, your experience will likely be much better with an umbrella stroller. Imagine walking around a museum for 2-3 hours with your baby swinging everywhere, compared to just pushing him around easily. The inconvenience of having to carry a small stroller on the plane seems much less than the inconvenience of not being able to put baby down for the whole trip.

I'd feel pretty comfortable going in a taxi without a car seat. You probably won't go faster than about 30 mph most of the time. It's up to you though.